part of
TAG WITH @toppa
Callan Young
Callan’s Blog
POSTED ON Sept 25, 2023 22:09:35 GMT
Callan Young Avatar

THANK YOU

Dear All,

As you may have heard by now, I have decided to step down as a member of the Elite Four. This decision I do not take lightly, nor do I feel it is appropriate to get into the midst of the exact reasons as to why I decided to step down. However, I will say that it has been a decision I’ve thought of for some time, and that ultimately I believe it is for the best that those who are in power are willing to step down when they believe that the future is better without them clinging on to it.

With that being said, I will be honest in saying that I have some disagreements with the League, but no particular member of the leadership was the reason behind me stepping down outside of my own choice.

I believe, and still to this day, believe that the single greatest attribute that defines a person is their volition.

Their strength of will and character in the face of adversity is a lesson I’ve tried to embody in both my gym and elite four challenges, and that I believe is a pivotal skill to teach to those who wish to make it to the absolute top of any skill, let alone Pokémon battling.

Many of the public once laughed at the league for promoting and myself for being musicians who happen to also be Elite Four members. But I don't think they understand the commonalities between the two.

Melody and I have risen to the top of our respective entertainment industries, and therefore, we understand what it takes to make it to the very top of a respective career.

To reach the apex of any career, you only need to understand this: Almost nothing in the world can resist the persistence of the human spirit.

Talent, inborn or not, is nothing compared to the human soul. Our desire, patience, and confidence in our own abilities play a much larger role in any success than sheer inborn quality. Things will yield if we strike it with enough force.

It is this spirit that causes Pokemon to be drawn to us, to follow us, to want us to lead them. They are drawn to our charisma, our force of will and direction.

Your birth comes along with a set of traits and skills that make you unique. It has a natural assertive energy to it. Your task is to nurture it, to find what it is, to maintain and make it flower.

What weakens this force, what makes you doubt its existence, is the force of social pressure and conformity.

You want to fit in to the group. You feel what makes you different is embarrassing, or painful. Your parents, your schools, your friends, your partners, act as a counter force and may seek to drive you into safe and comfortable lives that are lucrative. If they become strong enough, you lose contact with all that you are, your inclinations modelled on those of others.

To those of you who continue to seek strength, the first step is always inward.

Find out your inner voice, clear away what your peers may say, seek an underlying pattern and understand it. Then from there, you can branch out. You will recognise it by the childlike sense of wonder you find within you. Everything clicks into place and you can move from that point from your own. You have nothing to create, you just need to dig and refine what it is you have buried.

Rebel against forces that have pushed you from your true path. Feel anger and resentment at those who want to put onto you an alien vocation. Mock the need for attention and approval, if required.

For me, it has taken a process of 30 years, but I am fortunate to have come to this point.

I will continue to make music, and will continue to seek mastery over Pokemon battling. For now though, my role in the Elite Four is at its end.

I would like to thank , , , , and everyone else who has supported me throughout my brief tenure. I hope that we will keep in touch.

Thank you.

- Callan

close tab

played by

toppa

Supernova Shredder
He/Him
march 21
mauville city
heterosexual
music artist
Trainer
an anxious object
single
6’3” height
6’3” height
I’d rather watch your star explode
awards
1,558 posts
Callan Young DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @toppa
Callan Young
Callan’s Blog
POSTED ON Apr 16, 2024 3:35:48 GMT
Callan Young Avatar

LOVE IS A WEATHER BEATEN MAN WITH DIRTY TOENAILS

There was a question on Passerby Analytics recently, asking people: “What does the Apocalypse look like for you?”

To many, I’m sure they’ve answered with a variation on fire and brimstone. And to the point, I imagine that really would be what occurs during an actual apocalypse, which probably results in a painful and miserable death.

But, for me, an Apocalypse is the darkest event that can possibly reside. And the truest darkness wears Love for a face.

In Plato’s Symposium, the courtesan Diotima overhears Socrates and his nerd friends in a conversation about love, and steps into conversation.

Before Diotima, the entire conversation was about how Love is the greatest force and a wholly good being, the source of all things beautiful and divine.

Diotima scoffs, then denies them this entire notion.

“Love is not beautiful.” Diotima says, “Do not confuse Love with Beauty.”

“What then, do you think Love is?” Socrates asked.

“I will tell you.” Diotima replies.

“On the day that the goddess Beauty was born, a great feast was held at Mount Olympus to celebrate the occasion.

Upon the feast, the Goddess of Poverty, approached mortal son of the God of Invention: Contrivance.

Poverty had previously seen Contrivance whittle fine engravings into the simple wooden cups of the wine, and thus wanted her child to have his skill. When Contrivance went to sleep that night, Poverty lay with him, and conceived Love.

Love was therefore born at the same time as Beauty. Since Love understood Beauty from his mortal father Contrivance, and constantly felt starved from his mother, Poverty, Love became a devoted servant to Beauty, hopelessly following it around, conveying maelstroms of wind where he goes.

Far from the beautiful, divine being that many believe Love is, his true character is that of an ugly, elderly man, adorned with hideous pink, sitting atop a cloud. He is poor, weather beaten, homeless and forever travelling.

From his mother, he lives in want, never satisfied with what he obtains. But from his father, he is always scheming, designing and thinking of how to possess Beauty.”

There is of course more to the story, a separation between Divine and Vulgar Love. But for the purpose of my explanation, this will suffice.

So, why am I writing about this?

Because I want to dispel the notion that comfort, stability and happiness are the precursors to Love. That love somehow completes you, makes you whole. On the contrary, Love should not be confused with the object of love’s appreciation, Beauty.

Love is the wound you feel divesting the part of yourself to another person. It is the hunger you feel when you find yourself lacking. And it is an inherent condition of being human.

No one is able to be in love if they feel wholly satisfied. We are forever a broken coin, attempting to look for others to be pieces of us, to be fully complete.

Do not force the need to feel complete onto others. Find in yourself what is beautiful, and recognise that no matter how confident or capable another seems, they too have the same condition as you do.

Easier said than done, however.

See you in the next concert!

WRITE REPLY

QUICK REPLY

it's a long life full of long nights