making a splash [s]

i used to dream in the dark of palisades park

close tab

played by

i used to dream in the dark of palisades park.
awards
0 posts
Deleted DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @Deleted
Deleted
making a splash [s]
POSTED ON Sept 30, 2023 6:45:16 GMT
Deleted Avatar
[nospaces]
[attr="class","aliasong"]

today was the day. after twenty four years of not knowing how to swim, alia was finally going to learn how to master the sport. well, master is maybe a bit of a stretch - she'll be lucky if she even gets the basics down by the end of today, for arceus's sake.
[break][break]
she couldn't tell you why she never learned how to do this seemingly basic skill. despite growing up near a lake and visiting it frequently in search of solace, alia never did more than dip her toes into the water. her marshtomp has played in it plenty, but she's always just watched him from the shore, satisfied to just be in company of the sound of gentle ripples.
[break][break]
alia was a ranger now, though, and sooner or later one of her missions was going to involve her having to go underwater. thankfully, she's managed to enlist the help of one of her co-workers: mika nakayama. she didn't know the other ranger well, only ever exchanging friendly greetings in passing, so she was surprised when mika agreed to teach her.
[break][break]
"thank you for showing me the ropes today," alia says gratefully, swooping her navy blue locks into a messy bun. a few locks loosen already, but she ignores them. "i've been meaning to learn for so long, but just never got to for some reason. i owe you one!" she grins, slipping out of her cover-up.[break][break]

alia then turns slightly to the left and points at the backpack she left at the roots of the large oak tree towering over them. "i have a little surprise in there waiting for ya, once you turn me into a swimming champ." she lifts her eyebrows playfully before leaning down, taking a pokeball from the said backpack and tossing the capsule into the air. a marshtomp cuts through the blinding light, yelping in delight at the sight of the cool waters. "i figured ino here might be able to help us out today." alia places the amphibian's pokeball back in place and stands up, looking more determined than ever.

[break][break]

[attr="class","pokeclass"]

[attr="class","credit"]milky

[newclass=.aliasong]font:11px roboto;--accent:#COLORGOESHERE;[/newclass]

[newclass=.aliasong b]color:var(--accent);[/newclass]
[newclass=.aliasong i]color:var(--accent);[/newclass]
[newclass=.aliasong a]text-transform:uppercase; font-weight:bold[/newclass]
[newclass=.aliasong .pokesprite]color:#32a852; background:rgba(0,0,0,0.1);border:1px solid rgba(0,0,0,0.2); margin-right:10px; margin-top:5px; padding:5px; filter:grayscale(90%); transition:0.5s all;[/newclass]
[newclass=.aliasong .pkspr:hover]background:rgba(0,0,0,0.2); filter:none; transition:0.5s all;[/newclass]
[newclass=.aliasong .pokeclass]text-align:right; width:520px; [/newclass]
[newclass=.aliasong .pokeclass img]background:#2b2b2b; border-radius:100px; border:1px solid #solid 1px #232323; border:1px solid #232323; margin-top:-30px; padding-bottom:12px; ransition:1.5s; margin-left:8px; box-shadow:2px 2px transparent;[/newclass]
[newclass=.aliasong .pokeclass img:hover]background:var(--accent); transition:1s all; box-shadow:2px 2px #232323 [/newclass]
[newclass=.aliasong]position:relative;[/newclass]
[newclass=.aliasong .credit]font:bold 15px poppins; transform:rotate(90deg); position:absolute; bottom:55px; right:45px; color:rgb(65,65,65); text-shadow: -1px -1px 0 #222, 1px -1px 0 #222, -1px 1px 0 #222, 1px 1px 0 #222;[/newclass]
close tab

played by

Kiri

Mimi (Julie Only)
She/They
August 29th
Fortree City, Hoenn
Bisexual
Pokemon Ranger
Ranger
you were the sunshine
of my lifetime
5'10" height
5'10" height
what would you trade the pain for? i'm not sure.
awards
223 posts
part of
TAG WITH @cherubi
Mika Nakayama
making a splash [s]
POSTED ON Oct 1, 2023 8:14:45 GMT
Mika Nakayama Avatar
[nospaces]
[attr="class","blboxbl"]

mika has taught people how to swim before. it's not a skill that human beings are automatically blessed with, after all. and not all pokemon can swim, either! so to have honed this skill for years and to have a chance to teach others is just one of life's many great blessings. [break][break]

when she was younger, mika even considered abandoning the ranger cause and becoming a full-on lifeguard instead. but who knew that the draw of danger could pull her in so deep? [break][break]

today, though, there will be no danger. just ranger-to-ranger training, and with a particularly friendly ranger, at that. mika wishes she were the outgoing, sociable type of person, but the reality is that she's just not. so it means a lot to her that for once, someone came to her for something, and not the other way around. [break][break]

"you're very welcome. thank you for entrusting me with something like this." they smile softly, taken in by alia's easygoing attitude. at the other's insistence that she now owes her, mika waves their hands in disagreement, quietly saying, "oh, please, teaching you is its own gift. no need to worry about stuff that." [break][break]

and then alia brings out one of her pokemon friends, as a bright and eager marshtomp emerges from the poke ball. the pokemon and trainer look equally excited to participate today, and mika knows that teaching will be even easier when they have a skilled water pokemon beside them. [break][break]

"hello ino, nice to meet you. thank you for helping us out today, as well." mika politely greets the marshtomp, then looks back at alia. "we're on the same page, it seems! i also have a pokemon at the ready for some extra help, but maybe four is a little crowded." [break][break]

that said, there is plenty of space, so if alia doesn't mind a fourth presence, mika would bring out her prinplup, chiyo, to play as well. but before that, she says, "okay, my tip to new swimmers and swimmers that haven't swam for some time... is to stretch before swimming. wouldn't want any cramps, after all."

[break][break]

+ @saturn

[newclass=.blboxbl]font:11px roboto;--accent:#596DB3;[/newclass]

[newclass=.blboxbl b]color:var(--accent);[/newclass]
[newclass=.blboxbl i]color:var(--accent);[/newclass]
[newclass=.blboxbl a]text-transform:uppercase; font-weight:bold[/newclass]
[newclass=.blboxbl .pokesprite]color:#32a852; background:rgba(0,0,0,0.1);border:1px solid rgba(0,0,0,0.2); margin-right:10px; margin-top:5px; padding:5px; filter:grayscale(90%); transition:0.5s all;[/newclass]
[newclass=.blboxbl .pkspr:hover]background:rgba(0,0,0,0.2); filter:none; transition:0.5s all;[/newclass]
[newclass=.blboxbl .pokeclass]text-align:right; width:520px; [/newclass]
[newclass=.blboxbl .pokeclass img]background:#2b2b2b; border-radius:100px; border:1px solid #solid 1px #232323; border:1px solid #232323; margin-top:-30px; padding-bottom:12px; ransition:1.5s; margin-left:8px; box-shadow:2px 2px transparent;[/newclass]
[newclass=.blboxbl .pokeclass img:hover]background:var(--accent); transition:1s all; box-shadow:2px 2px #232323 [/newclass]
[newclass=.blboxbl]position:relative;[/newclass]
[newclass=.blboxbl .credit]font:bold 15px poppins; transform:rotate(90deg); position:absolute; bottom:55px; right:45px; color:rgb(65,65,65); text-shadow: -1px -1px 0 #232323, 1px -1px 0 #232323, -1px 1px 0 #232323, 1px 1px 0 #232323;[/newclass]
close tab

played by

awards
0 posts
Deleted DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @Deleted
Deleted
making a splash [s]
POSTED ON Oct 2, 2023 6:01:00 GMT
Deleted Avatar
[nospaces]

"oh, no worries at all! the more the merrier." alia could never say no to the presence of another pokemon - welcomes it, in fact. this might even be a good chance for her marshtomp to make a new friend. they haven't had many opportunities to meet other trained pokemon before this, and alia has always felt a bit guilty over it. she wonders if her pokemon ever gets lonely. of course, they keep each other in company - but it was always nice to have other companions that wasn't just their little family. [break][break]

she listens intently to mika as the latter gives her the first tip to swimming, and bops her head in agreement. "oh, makes sense. definitely not trying to drown here," alia says as she moves into stretching position. she begins stretching her calves as mika releases her prinplup. her marshtomp had wandered off exploring the flower-stained patches of grass nearby, but perks up at the sight of the newcomer. he waddles over to chiyo, cautiously sniffing the latter in greeting before leaning back, letting out a friendly cry. the teal amphibian then circles around the prinplup a few times before prancing closer to the edge of the lake, seemingly inviting her to play.
[break][break]

"oh, ino seems to like your prinplup," alia notes before huffing, "ino! you're supposed to be helping me learn how to swim!" there was no real annoyance found in her voice, however, simply a mixture of exasperation and fondness. she finishes the rest of her stretches quickly before resting her gaze back onto her mentor of the day. "you know, even as a rookie, ranger work has been a lot busier than we expected, so it's been a while since ino got to play in the water. hopefully he actually helps us out today instead of being a bad influence to your prinplup." alia laughs with a shake of her head, waiting for mika's next instructions.

[break][break]

[newclass=.aliasong .pokesprite]color:#32a852; background:rgba(0,0,0,0.1);border:1px solid rgba(0,0,0,0.2); margin-right:10px; margin-top:5px; padding:5px; filter:grayscale(90%); transition:0.5s all;[/newclass]
[newclass=.aliasong .pkspr:hover]background:rgba(0,0,0,0.2); filter:none; transition:0.5s all;[/newclass]
[newclass=.aliasong .pokeclass img]background:#2b2b2b; border-radius:100px; border:1px solid #solid 1px #232323; border:1px solid #232323; margin-top:-30px; padding-bottom:12px; ransition:1.5s; margin-left:8px; box-shadow:2px 2px transparent;[/newclass]
[newclass=.aliasong .pokeclass img:hover]background:var(--accent); transition:1s all; box-shadow:2px 2px #232323 [/newclass]
[newclass=.aliasong .credit]font:bold 15px poppins; transform:rotate(90deg); position:absolute; bottom:55px; right:45px; color:rgb(65,65,65); text-shadow: -1px -1px 0 #222, 1px -1px 0 #222, -1px 1px 0 #222, 1px 1px 0 #222;[/newclass]
close tab

played by

Kiri

Mimi (Julie Only)
She/They
August 29th
Fortree City, Hoenn
Bisexual
Pokemon Ranger
Ranger
you were the sunshine
of my lifetime
5'10" height
5'10" height
awards
223 posts
part of
TAG WITH @cherubi
Mika Nakayama
making a splash [s]
POSTED ON Oct 3, 2023 17:42:59 GMT
Mika Nakayama Avatar
[nospaces]
[attr="class","blboxbl"]

mika's prinplup appears from its ball when it seems that more company is in order! mika has a soft spot for the penguin pokemon, especially because of how gentle and calm it is compared to the rest of the team. but once it gets to be around other pokemon, it starts to become more outgoing. the ranger smiles at the sight of prinplup and marshtomp, getting along already like they're old chums. [break][break]

"heh, i'm glad. and don't worry, i'd never let it come to that, but the stretching is a good trick to keep around water." mika stretches, as well, with a series of lunges and upper-arm tweaks that leave her with a satisfied sigh at the end of it. [break][break]

she nods at alia. "it's nice that they're getting along. my prinplup is the same, not a lot of chances to meet new pokemon outside of work." mika smiles faintly, endeared by their pokemon and their antics. "i agree that ranger work is tough, even at the start. not a lot of room for play." the only one on mika's team that's really got it easy is her baby cherubi, so for that, she feels a twinge of guilt that this is chiyo's first time in a while to unwind. [break][break]

"your marshtomop is a sweetheart," mika insists with a tiny laugh in her voice. "and we must seem like babies to them when it comes to swimming." even if mika knows how to swim, themself, water-type pokemon must still get some amusement out of humans who could never be as aquatically skilled as they are. "okay, first things first. some people like to teach swimming by throwing newcomers into the deep end, first. i prefer to take things step by step." mika starts treading into the shallow end of the water, stretching out her hand as though to invite alia to slowly get in with her. "whenever you're ready."

[break][break]

+ @saturn

[newclass=.blboxbl .pokesprite]color:#32a852; background:rgba(0,0,0,0.1);border:1px solid rgba(0,0,0,0.2); margin-right:10px; margin-top:5px; padding:5px; filter:grayscale(90%); transition:0.5s all;[/newclass]
[newclass=.blboxbl .pkspr:hover]background:rgba(0,0,0,0.2); filter:none; transition:0.5s all;[/newclass]
[newclass=.blboxbl .pokeclass img]background:#2b2b2b; border-radius:100px; border:1px solid #solid 1px #232323; border:1px solid #232323; margin-top:-30px; padding-bottom:12px; ransition:1.5s; margin-left:8px; box-shadow:2px 2px transparent;[/newclass]
[newclass=.blboxbl .pokeclass img:hover]background:var(--accent); transition:1s all; box-shadow:2px 2px #232323 [/newclass]
[newclass=.blboxbl .credit]font:bold 15px poppins; transform:rotate(90deg); position:absolute; bottom:55px; right:45px; color:rgb(65,65,65); text-shadow: -1px -1px 0 #232323, 1px -1px 0 #232323, -1px 1px 0 #232323, 1px 1px 0 #232323;[/newclass]
close tab

played by

awards
0 posts
Deleted DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @Deleted
Deleted
making a splash [s]
POSTED ON Oct 5, 2023 7:30:21 GMT
Deleted Avatar
[nospaces]

babies, huh? alia toys with the idea before laughing, thoroughly amused by the various iterations of ino's voice in her head. "you know, you're so right..i wonder if they talk about us like we do about them." she tells mika, suppressing another chuckle. a little scarily on cue, her marshtomp turns around to glance at the two humans conversing before playfully squirting out a stream of water at the prinplup, continuing their shenanigans. [break][break]
alia breathes out an unconscious sigh of relief when mika explains that they were going to take things slowly. she blinks at the latter in appreciation. not that she expected mika to just toss her in the water and call it a day, but tough love wasn't not an option. while alia doesn't get nervous easily, she had to admit, the idea of being out in the water was making her heart skip a beat. or a couple of beats. or a full-on somersault. it's funny, how something that brought her so much tranquility seemed so dangerous suddenly.  [break][break]

alia steps to the lakefront at mika's nonverbal invite, hissing as the piercing cool water cheekily hugs her feet before scampering away. "this is colder than i thought!" she calls out, her voice cutting through the gentle buzz of nature. she sees how the sunrays meet the waters a little further ahead, however, and figures it will get warmer there.[break][break] she begins to slowly wade her way towards mika. as she closes their distance, alia's heartbeat starts to slow, the other ranger's presence like a piece of driftwood in the open sea. it wasn't often that alia was on the receiving end of the stick, the one being guided around. it felt....kinda nice, actually, especially since the one leading her was someone so reassuring. [break][break]

alia meets the other ranger at last, smiling brightly upon arrival. the water hits a little above her knees now, kissing her skin gently as if welcoming her into its embrace. she no longer feels its icy wrath and lightly drops her hand into mika's, palm soft and grateful. "ready!" she chirps, growing more confident about today's mission. as they trudge further into the lake, alia catches the loud splashes of their pokemon behind them, catching up with ease.  

[break][break]

close tab

played by

Kiri

Mimi (Julie Only)
She/They
August 29th
Fortree City, Hoenn
Bisexual
Pokemon Ranger
Ranger
you were the sunshine
of my lifetime
5'10" height
5'10" height
awards
223 posts
part of
TAG WITH @cherubi
Mika Nakayama
making a splash [s]
POSTED ON Oct 8, 2023 3:56:22 GMT
Mika Nakayama Avatar
[nospaces]
[attr="class","blboxbl"]

mika keeps a nice steady hold on alia, moving carefully through the shallows of the lake. their own pokemon notwithstanding, the lake is teeming with water-types, and mika is mindful of any other presences. "as long as you don't disturb the water-types, we'll be okay." she says that for her own reassurance as well as alia's. [break][break]

marshtomp and prinplup jump into the waters after them, quickly catching up and swimming effortlessly near them. mika gives them a smile, nodding at them in acknowledgement. "yes, it's actually quite cold. it'll take some time but even cold water will feel warm after a bit of swimming." [break][break]

they get to the part where the shallows meet the deeper end, and mika pauses at the place where their feet still touch the ground, but only a few steps "okay, as we start getting in deeper, the water will rise higher. the first thing you need to know is how to tread water. this isn't as hard as swimming, it's all about keeping you afloat." [break][break]

prinplup demonstrates the motions: keeping its head afloat, hands and legs moving and kicking, lower body at a slight angle because ramrod straight in the water just means you'll sink. mika repeats all this aloud, as well, together with a word of encouragement: "i won't let go of you yet. you can practice water treading first, because as long as you learn to float in water, swimming will come easier." the blue-haired ranger takes a step backward into deeper waters, nodding at alia. "when you're ready."

[break][break]

+ @saturn

close tab

played by

awards
0 posts
Deleted DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @Deleted
Deleted
making a splash [s]
POSTED ON Oct 10, 2023 2:57:31 GMT
Deleted Avatar
[nospaces]

alia wades lightly in the shallow waters, mindful of her movements after mika’s gentle reminder of other lifeforms teeming in their aquatic environment. the water was already beginning to lose its icy bite, gently caressing her with a light warmth instead. she shivers despite the newfound heat. [break][break]

they soon reach the deeper ends of the lake, and with that comes the actual start of today’s swimming lesson. alia studies the prinplup intently, noting how the light blue penguin kicks its limbs rhythmically to keep itself afloat. mika’s verbal explanation helps too, especially her point about keeping the lower body angled. “okay, let me shoot my shot,” alia says, smiling gratefully at the other ranger for their patience. [break][break]

she takes a step forward, leaving the shallow waters behind her. as her foot slides into the unknown, she jolts and instinctively grabs for mika’s arms. “sorry, sorry,” alia says sheepishly, hands slipping back into the lake as she apologizes. she takes a deep breath, a physical sign of her surrendering her need for control before she kicks her legs out in brisk, swift motions. she would’ve sank in her first few attempts if not for mika’s firm grasp on her, the latter’s arms keeping her head from bobbing underneath the surface. [break][break]

after her fourth failed attempt, alia takes a pause, choosing to debug her errors before blindly moving forward. a light frown creases against her eyebrows as she thinks over her moves, gears running at the speed of light. perhaps she wasn’t tilting her body enough? she tries treading the water again with her newfound realization, angling her legs at a steeper slant than before. with this adjustment, her head finally stays afloat, allowing a triumphant smile to take over her features. “gosh, if i ever have kids, i’m going to toss them into the pool as soon as they’re out of the womb.” she grumbles good-naturedly, the twinkle in her eyes revealing the lack of actual frustration. 

[break][break]

close tab

played by

Kiri

Mimi (Julie Only)
She/They
August 29th
Fortree City, Hoenn
Bisexual
Pokemon Ranger
Ranger
you were the sunshine
of my lifetime
5'10" height
5'10" height
awards
223 posts
part of
TAG WITH @cherubi
Mika Nakayama
making a splash [s]
POSTED ON Oct 11, 2023 9:32:11 GMT
Mika Nakayama Avatar
[nospaces]
[attr="class","blboxbl"]

she waits patiently. that's one of her own strengths, mika supposes. the ability to wait, to put their own needs behind someone else's, to not think of themself until the very end. she smiles faintly, hoping to give off an air of calm and acceptance. alia can go at her own pace, it's not something easy that she's learning to do, after all. [break][break]

and the initial aversion to going deeper in the water is normal. but as alia jolts, mika is quick to react, grabbing hold of the other woman to make sure she doesn't flail in the water, or worse, panic herself into sinking. there is an art to horror, and the way it exists in deep waters, the silence of drowning and the quickness of it. without each other and their pokemon, either ranger could fall to the depths of the lake and no one would know. [break][break]

thankfully, it will never get to that point. mika supports alia, holding her steady when she starts to waver, reassuring her that everything is okay. "no need to apologize," mika insists. "you're fine, you're fine." she is firm but gentle in the way she handles alia and makes sure the other doesn't sink. yet once the other is steady, mika is quick to retract their arms, and let alia do her thing. [break][break]

and it turns out that alia really is fine, because she finally succeeds at treading water! at the sight of her pupil moving with her head above the water, mika smiles with pride. "that's—" but they are immediately cut off with an unexpected laugh, the bluntness of alia's joke cutting through mika's calm exterior and hitting her in all the right funny bones. "you're so funny!" they have a rare outburst of pure emotion and joy, with a bit of relief mixed in there. if alia can get this far, then she's already halfway done with the entire process of swimming! [break][break]

both marshtomp and prinplup seem pleased, as well, and mika nods along with their unsaid praise. "you're doing really good, alia. so, once you feel like you're used to treading, we'll get into the main part of the lesson." the actual swimming, involving proper breathing techniques and broad strokes. there would always be time to learn fancy techniques like the backstroke or butterfly, but for now, just moving along in the water should suffice.

[break][break]

+ @saturn

close tab

played by

awards
0 posts
Deleted DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @Deleted
Deleted
making a splash [s]
POSTED ON Oct 14, 2023 23:04:00 GMT
Deleted Avatar
[nospaces]

mika’s sudden burst of laughter takes alia by surprise, but she welcomes it with a cheery laugh of her own, a fuzzy source of warmth radiating in her chest as the latter break out of their usual calm demeanor. in their limited time together, mika reminds alia of the very lake they were floating in, tranquil and still in appearance but capable of an emotive intensity if you skipped your stones right. despite not knowing each other for long, alia takes pride in making the other ranger express such joy; protecting others from harm wasn’t the only act that made her feel good about herself. [break][break]

“i’m glad you think so, at least that makes the two of us.” she kids once again, encouraged by the light atmosphere they’ve established in the last few minutes. her limbs continue their circular dance as her laughter fades away, a comfortable silence settling in while she accustoms to her newly acquired skill. [break][break]

alia knows it’s time to move on when she begins to feel the boredom stirring in her chest, the same rhythmic cycle sitting in her bones a little too well. “what can i say, you’re a good teacher!” she responds to mika’s compliment with one of her own, genuinity seeping into her words. it was one thing to be well-versed in a craft, but it was another thing to effectively teach it to others. luckily for her, mika was skilled at both. [break][break]

alia knew she was going to be in good hands for the rest of the lesson. “okay, i think i’m finally ready to dive in the deep end! teach me your ways.” 

[break][break]

close tab

played by

Kiri

Mimi (Julie Only)
She/They
August 29th
Fortree City, Hoenn
Bisexual
Pokemon Ranger
Ranger
you were the sunshine
of my lifetime
5'10" height
5'10" height
awards
223 posts
part of
TAG WITH @cherubi
Mika Nakayama
making a splash [s]
POSTED ON Oct 16, 2023 21:17:08 GMT
Mika Nakayama Avatar
[nospaces]
[attr="class","blboxbl"]

she'd been so worried before all this, worried that she wouldn't be able to teach well, worried she wouldn't get along with alia enough to get her points across. so mika's heart lightens at the realization that the exact opposite happened — that they're teaching her just fine, that the two of them are getting along well. it's all such a far cry from what mika imagined herself doing, she can't help but smile at the simplicity of it all. [break][break]

"you're a good student," mika counters the compliment with yet another, deflecting any sort of praise unto herself. "and i'm sure you're ready for the next part. but before we get into the swimming swimming, there is an essential skill that i should teach you first. unless you know it already." she nods at prinplup, and the pokemon demonstrates the next move: floating. the penguin pokemon floats on its back, almost cute in the way it drifts with the lake's current. "floating is good, too, because if you ever feel like you can't swim, you can always float to keep yourself above water." [break][break]

prinplup swims over to the two of them, now, and mika gently hands alia over to marshtomp, instead, so she can demonstrate the next part with her own pokemon. "after floating, i'll start you off like this." she holds the end of prinplup's wings, belly down in the water, stretching its legs out and kicking its feet, holding onto mika like a buoy all the while. "this is kinda like when an adult holds the handlebars of a kid's bicycle for them the first time around. except i won't let go until you're ready, okay?" and at the end of the demonstration, prinplup lets go of mika's hand, and the blue-haired ranger reaches out for her fellow ranger, gently taking her from the marshtomp's hold. "got all that? we can take it slowly, so no need to rush yourself."

[break][break]

+ @saturn

close tab

played by

awards
0 posts
Deleted DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @Deleted
Deleted
making a splash [s]
POSTED ON Oct 18, 2023 8:21:26 GMT
Deleted Avatar
[nospaces]

despite not really knowing anything about mika, alia was nearly positive that between the two of them, they could probably go back and forth with the compliments for the rest of the day if they had wanted to. but they had better things to do, so alia smiles at both mika's kind remark and the prinplup floating in the water instead. she then leans backward herself, drifting in the tranquil waters. thankfully, that was the one skill she knew about swimming. if alia hadn't learned how to float when she was young, well, she'd imagine that she would have a difficult time relinquishing that sense of control now. [break][break]

the ranger gently holds onto her marshtomp as she keeps her gaze fixed on the other ranger. mika's demonstration was an easy one, one that alia was all too familiar with. she used to watch the kids at her local lake practice similar moves, and they had always looked so silly, reminiscent of a canine pokemon doggy-paddling in the water. [break][break]

alia lets go of the marshtomp and takes mika's hands when the latter reaches out for her, and begins replicating the movements. she was right - despite acing the task at hand, she felt just as silly as she thought she would, kicking up what felt like a mini tsunami behind her while holding onto the other ranger. alia's not sure where to look at, really, finding it slightly awkward and creepy to be staring at mika the entire time. between kicks, she starts laughing, accidentally gulping a mouthful of lake water in the process. laughs turn to rushed coughs, kicks subside, and one hand leaves mika's grasp to roughly pound against her chest.[break][break]

"gosh, sorry. the whole time i was practicing my kicks i was having this vision of myself swimming like a yamper and it kinda knocked me out."
alia says after recovering. another laugh escapes her, and in that split moment she decides to refrain from mentioning how she didn't know where to keep her eyes. it was such a simple act that alia felt a little too silly for overthinking it. instead, she continues brightly, "i think i got the kicks down, though! before i had my little spasm, at least." [break][break]

+ i haven't swam in so long i don't even know if this is a valid reason to feel awkward LMFAO but in my head it is  

close tab

played by

Kiri

Mimi (Julie Only)
She/They
August 29th
Fortree City, Hoenn
Bisexual
Pokemon Ranger
Ranger
you were the sunshine
of my lifetime
5'10" height
5'10" height
awards
223 posts
part of
TAG WITH @cherubi
Mika Nakayama
making a splash [s]
POSTED ON Oct 23, 2023 9:04:20 GMT
Mika Nakayama Avatar
[nospaces]
[attr="class","blboxbl"]

mika thinks she sees something flash across alia's gaze, but she's not quite sure what. maybe the preamble to swimming reminds her of time spent near water, or perhaps their pace is too fast or too slow. regardless, mika waits patiently for the other to move when she's most comfortable, and for a few seconds, everything seems fine. [break][break]

but then alia gulps a bit of lake water, and her limbs flail, causing mika to anchor herself, a quiet "careful, it's alright," escaping her. of course, she has no real fear of their lessons taking a turn for the worst, but that doesn't eliminate the anxious instinct within them. they glance between alia, prinplup, and marshtomp, concern written on their features. [break][break]

when alia herself explains the sudden motions (and the somewhat silly image of a yamper paddling in the water), mika understands at once. "heh, no need to apologize. it's easy to have your mind wander in these kinds of situations, honestly." that's probably why mika took to swimming in the first place — it's all one giant mindless task, swimming to a physical current and a tangible beat, the body working twice as hard so the brain doesn't have to. [break][break]

and yet... "alright, since you have the kicks, floating, and water-treading down...all that's left is the test of truth." they are certainly past the shallow end, now, with their toes beginning to lift from the rock surface beneath the lake, bodies floating towards a deeper middle. "we'll practice swimming together, first. i won't let go of you, just remember all we learned, and take it easy. we can also take a break if needed."

[break][break]

+ @saturn | LMAO I THINK YOU'RE RIGHT and it's all good i haven't swam in so long either... mika should teach us all how to swim tbh LOL

close tab

played by

awards
0 posts
Deleted DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @Deleted
Deleted
making a splash [s]
POSTED ON Oct 29, 2023 10:03:32 GMT
Deleted Avatar
[nospaces]

honestly, one of alia's biggest problems was that her mind wandered too much all the time. she shouldn't have been surprised that her thoughts diverted the way they did, but she was grateful that mika took her silly moment in stride. [break][break]

"alright, time for the final showdown." she says with an easy grin, ignoring the way her heart jostled briefly. ino notices the inaudible nerves the way that pokemon seems to, however, and quietly swims over as an act of support. alia laughs softly, the prickly static buzzing in her ribs substituted with a soft fuzzy warmth instead. she cheekily splashes a bit of water at the amphibian, who reciprocates the gesture. [break][break]

after the short moment of play, alia waddles further into the lake with mika, her toes slowly lifting from the stones. gradually, the rest of her body follows her feet, bobbling up and down with the subtle lake ripples. now that she was starting to get the hang of it, she could see why so many people enjoyed going into the waters for a little dip. she always thought staying near the shores would be relaxing enough for her, but perhaps after today, that was going to change. who knows! maybe she'll love it so much she end up as a lifeguard instead. or, you know, if she was being more practical, she'll specialize in marine rescue. she still had a few months as a rookie, but she should really start considering her future in ranger work - most of them chose a specialization, right? has mika thought about this? [break][break]

oh, shoot, there goes her mind, wandering off again. she chides herself silently before making a note to ask the other ranger about it later, when they're a little less at risk of drowning.[break][break]

alia stretches her legs like how she was taught earlier, thrashing them against the surface steadily. the simple move kickstarts fuller motions, and soon she was gaining some traction against the tides. "um!" alia shifts her head to mika at the best of her ability, confusion clearly written across her features. "what do i do with my arms, exactly...?"  [break][break]

+ I KNOW WE SAID NO SORRYS BUT. SORRY THIS TOOK ME A WEEK KDJKLFAJF            [break]

[newclass=.aliasong]font:11px roboto;--accent:#6f77ca;[/newclass]

close tab

played by

Kiri

Mimi (Julie Only)
She/They
August 29th
Fortree City, Hoenn
Bisexual
Pokemon Ranger
Ranger
you were the sunshine
of my lifetime
5'10" height
5'10" height
awards
223 posts
part of
TAG WITH @cherubi
Mika Nakayama
making a splash [s]
POSTED ON Nov 2, 2023 23:43:40 GMT
Mika Nakayama Avatar
[nospaces]
[attr="class","blboxbl"]

mika giggles quietly, pleased by the way alia and her marshtomp play with one another. it puts her at ease that the other is finding some joy in this learning process. most of the time, mika finds that learning something new can be entirely stressful. they're the kind of person to try things out before asking for help, themself, so this is an entirely new foray for both rangers. alia is learning how to swim, and mika is learning how to swim in a different way — how to approach others, how to ask for help and give help in turn, how to be a part of the world instead of simply observing it from afar. [break][break]

yes, it's quite easy to lose one's self among their own thoughts. a gentle prod from chiyo the prinplup reminds mika of what she's set out to do here. as alia adjusts herself and prepares for actual swimming, mika nods slowly, eyes downcast as she looks from the depths of the water, to the depths of determination in the other's eyes. [break][break]

exhaling softly like she's finally learned to breathe. "with your arms, just do as prinplup is doing." the penguin starts showing the correct motions. "this, together with the leg movements, will get you moving in the water in no time. it might be difficult right now because i'm holding your hands, but if you can just position your arms correctly, it should be fine." which really means, mika will eventually have to let go, but she won't do it until alia is certainly ready. [break][break]

mika breaks into a soft smile. "i'm here, don't worry." [break][break]

[break][break]

+ @saturn | NO SORRYS SURE BUT ALSO NO WORRIES... YOU'RE SO GOOD!!!