awards
3,792 posts
part of
TAG WITH @lars
Laurence Anderson
bump in the night [m][dd]
POSTED ON Oct 22, 2023 13:10:33 GMT
Laurence Anderson Avatar

How did he find himself in this situation?

Simple: the evening shift guard for the small store had called in sick, and since nobody else was available, most everyone had pointed to Lars to ask if he was willing to cover.

(Considering he wasn’t tied to a title anymore, and was just existing there until the Elite Rangers were needed for some big disaster then there we are.)

So now he was outside the store, seated and keeping an eye out for whatever shit would come barreling in through the front.

He knew that his Dusknoir, Nero, was lurking in his shadow—but he didn’t see the need to summon him out.

At least not yet, anyway.

someone causing trouble and is up to no good!

close tab

played by

Lime

Lash
female
31 (appears way younger due to distortion)
August 17
Virbank City
bi
unemployed
civilian
22 height
22 height
i used to dream in the dark of palisades park.
awards
167 posts
Lasciel Elis DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @lime6
Lasciel Elis
POSTED ON Oct 22, 2023 13:40:27 GMT
Lasciel Elis Avatar
A little Murkrow was on the prowl. It was a field test, but the Murkrow just enjoyed being both useful and do what it was basically born to do. Which, in this case, was to scout out a location. Lash had sent it out ahead of herself towards the random store she’d picked out for the exercise. And why this one? Because there was a guard.

That was what it was all about, after all. But for now, the Murkrow was simply flying about, casually landing on the building opposite of the store all while Lash herself sauntered down the street already. There were some other pedestrians, of course, and for now, the Murkrow simply decided to try and catch eye-contact with the guard from afar for a good minute and then some. Well, it continued to keep eye contact of course, but after a random amount of time, Lash herself arrived and entered the store for the time being, just in order to look around a bit, while the suspicious Murkrow remained outside, unflinching.

close tab

played by

Ven

Lars
he / him / his
thirty-two
july 26
Sootopolis, Hoenn
don’t know, don’t care
ranger & courier
ex-head ranger
tonight
is gonna be the loneliest
1210 height
1210 height
nessuno vince.
awards
3,792 posts
part of
TAG WITH @lars
Laurence Anderson
POSTED ON Oct 22, 2023 13:49:58 GMT
Laurence Anderson Avatar

There was a Murkrow that had come fluttering around before settling on the building opposite where he was standing guard… for some reason he couldn’t help but wonder if the Murkrow belonged to someone.

There was no way that the Murkrow was wild enough to just suddenly arrive and look at him several times…

He was sure that the bird belonged to someone.

“Where’s your owner?” he asked the Murkrow once he managed to catch its stare. Creepy one, too.

You better not be out here causing trouble, then… he thought idly as he looked around; the strange pull in his shadow not budging because the Dusknoir had not found anything too strange around.

At least not yet, anyway.

close tab

played by

Lime

Lash
female
August 17
Virbank City
bi
unemployed
civilian
22 height
22 height
awards
167 posts
Lasciel Elis DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @lime6
Lasciel Elis
POSTED ON Oct 22, 2023 14:19:49 GMT
Lasciel Elis Avatar

“Mur…krow?” The little one cocked his head in seeming confusion. It seemed to understand the human to an extent, at least enough to know that it was being addressed there. But it did not seem to properly understand the question. And why would it? It had only recently been caught and thus had a lot of wild energy left within him. As such, a lot of the nuance in human language still were a mystery to it.

Instead, it cared a lot more about the weather – it was getting a bit cold, after all – and the simple instructions it had been given. Establish eye-contact with the guard, get his attention. Then, once that was done it briefly acquired a glint in its eyes, as if smirking.
Then it released a wing attack, firing a blade of wind at the ground in front of the guard as if trying to say ‘is that what you were asking for, human?’.

- chills
close tab

played by

Ven

Lars
he / him / his
thirty-two
july 26
Sootopolis, Hoenn
don’t know, don’t care
ranger & courier
ex-head ranger
tonight
1210 height
1210 height
nessuno vince.
awards
3,792 posts
part of
TAG WITH @lars
Laurence Anderson
POSTED ON Oct 22, 2023 20:19:44 GMT
Laurence Anderson Avatar

The moment the Murkrow opened fire with a Wing Attack aimed at the ground in front of him, that’s when the alarm bells went off in his head.

“Nero,” he breathed quietly, and for a few moments all was still.

That was until a singular burning red eye appeared from his shadow, before finally emerging to reveal the Dusknoir in all his angry glory.

Go catch that bird! I’ll see if there’s someone around trying to cause trouble!” he shouted, before turning tail to run towards the back of the store to hopefully catch a culprit red-handed.

close tab

played by

Lime

Lash
female
August 17
Virbank City
bi
unemployed
civilian
22 height
22 height
awards
167 posts
Lasciel Elis DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @lime6
Lasciel Elis
POSTED ON Oct 22, 2023 20:40:09 GMT
Lasciel Elis Avatar
“Mur-kaw!” It loudly proclaimed itself in response to the reveal of the surprise villain. Then, it valiantly and steadfastly did its one job in an, in its opinion, brilliant way. Though it probably did not look at all like that, since its job was to immediately turn wing and fly away, once it knew the opposition was in pursuit.

That was the test, after all. Meanwhile, the one safe from all the cold was pretending to check out a particular aisle near the entrance to keep an eye out of things from the corner of her eye. She noticed that big, dour looking guy coming up in a hurry. So, that was how he played it. Lash guessed that this was just how a competent guard would approach the situation.

Kind of sad, in multiple ways. For one, that meant that the success rate of this would not be complete. But at the same time, most guards would probably still fall for it. Still though, it was hard to not notice that hurrisome man. “Is everything alright, mister?”

- cold #3
close tab

played by

Ven

Lars
he / him / his
thirty-two
july 26
Sootopolis, Hoenn
don’t know, don’t care
ranger & courier
ex-head ranger
tonight
1210 height
1210 height
nessuno vince.
awards
3,792 posts
part of
TAG WITH @lars
Laurence Anderson
POSTED ON Oct 22, 2023 20:46:11 GMT
Laurence Anderson Avatar

The chase was now on!

The Dusknoir’s singular red burning eye kept its glare on the Murkrow, one of its fists shimmering with cold energy as he was going to smack the avian with an Ice Punch should he get close enough…

And back down on the ground, Lars had a scowl on his face the moment he realized that the Murkrow was most likely a distraction and he was now met with a teenager…

“Are you trying to steal something?” he continued, staring her down.

close tab

played by

Lime

Lash
female
August 17
Virbank City
bi
unemployed
civilian
22 height
22 height
awards
167 posts
Lasciel Elis DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @lime6
Lasciel Elis
POSTED ON Oct 22, 2023 21:27:36 GMT
Lasciel Elis Avatar
Ugh. That guy just had to be league. Whether it be trying to keep people from space-time-distortions, weird wormholes in the sky or just from shoplifting, they always had that holier-than-thou aura about them.

It seriously pissed Lash off. “What?” She first sounded a bit incredulous, but that was the extent of her acting ability. Keeping her emotions under control for that long was already an achievement, after all. “Idiot! Just randomly accusing people, what a sick joke!” she yelled at him straight away, clearly agitated. Sure, he was right, so technically her getting riled up about it all was incredibly hypocritical.
But this wasn’t about facts! This was about his attitude. Still though, she seemingly realized something, briefly, before reining herself in somewhat. Flipping her hair, she changed gears immediately as she pulled out her phone, pointing it at him. “But if you want to just accuse people then you certainly will not have a problem if I tell everyone about that, right? Seriously, people like you are the worst. Probably just taking guard jobs to have some feeling of superiority over others…” She was half mumbling to herself at the end, her mind too busy trying to figure out how to best proceed with this faux outrage.

The Murkrow, in meantime, was acting on instinct alone and simply darted away further instead of actually trying to fight the evolved ghost type. It didn’t need to. Hence, it wouldn’t. That was how a good Murkrow survived. Plus, the mistress would be pleased to escape unharmed, even though it had to dodge some shards from ice being jabbed at it from behind. That was close, but it still had a lead. One that it would not just give up!

- wormhole 2
close tab

played by

Ven

Lars
he / him / his
thirty-two
july 26
Sootopolis, Hoenn
don’t know, don’t care
ranger & courier
ex-head ranger
tonight
1210 height
1210 height
nessuno vince.
awards
3,792 posts
part of
TAG WITH @lars
Laurence Anderson
POSTED ON Oct 23, 2023 17:44:27 GMT
Laurence Anderson Avatar

Kids these days… he thought with his blank-faced expression (thank you, RBF) before raising his eyebrows at her, the more she went off on him.

“…you know,” he continued in that same quiet voice once she was done yelling her face off in front of him, “…the more you act that way, the more you’re hiding something.”

Wasn’t that the obvious way of admitting one was guilty?

He couldn’t help but smirk faintly the more she was… getting herself caught in the lie. Man, she was just as feisty as a Fighting-type, too…

Over where the Dusknoir was chasing the Murkrow, the singular red eye would not stop staring at the Flying-type, probably because the other Pokémon could tell something was up with this one!

close tab

played by

Lime

Lash
female
August 17
Virbank City
bi
unemployed
civilian
22 height
22 height
awards
167 posts
Lasciel Elis DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @lime6
Lasciel Elis
POSTED ON Oct 23, 2023 20:56:54 GMT
Lasciel Elis Avatar
“Ah, so being annoyed at being randomly suspected of some crime is now proof of the crime? Could you repeat that more clearly at the phone?” Honestly, what was that man thinking? That logic was almost insulting. He truly aught to die in a torrent of hellfire.

Once again, she scoffed at him then. “That’s just making you the worst of the worst. What is next? Are you going to beat up random strangers and accuse them of always having wanted to assault you if they fight you? That’s what’s wrong with all of you….argh!” Briefly, she stomped onto the ground. Lash had never gotten along with most figures of authority, but anything resembling police just made it worse. Those people, in her eyes, never took the world as it was, but rather how they wanted it to be.
And then they expected everyone else to conform to that. And, again, it did not matter that he was right. She could be innocent just as well and he would just as well do this. Heck, if she had seen a lot of customers in here she wouldn’t have gone in at all despite letting Murkrow do its thing. He’d just have picked on someone else. “Your name. Give it to me.” This time, she looked him straight in the eye, clearly having decided on a course of action by now.

Murkrow, in the meantime, was getting somewhat nervous about not being able to shake its pursuer. It was not going to let up, but flying at top speeds was tiring in the end. Semi-frantically, it looked around for an opportunity – and found one. A flock of other Murkrows picking up breadcrumbs in a park. That glint returned to its eyes and it dashed towards it brethren.

- fire 1
close tab

played by

Ven

Lars
he / him / his
thirty-two
july 26
Sootopolis, Hoenn
don’t know, don’t care
ranger & courier
ex-head ranger
tonight
1210 height
1210 height
nessuno vince.
awards
3,792 posts
part of
TAG WITH @lars
Laurence Anderson
POSTED ON Oct 30, 2023 18:11:28 GMT
Laurence Anderson Avatar

“Oh, so now you want to know who I am?” he continued, unable to stop that unreadable smirk of his from flashing across his face.

“You know, girlie, you might regret asking me for my name because I don’t know if you’ve heard about the Rangers…”

He trailed off, still squinting at the strange one’s behavior; never mind if she was raising so many red flags all over the place.

(Truth be told, he was already lying a little bit about his rank at this point, but maybe he could still use it to intimidate people who didn’t know him outside of the workplace…)

“…because I’m one of the Head Rangers.”

(Okay, that was a bit of a lie. He was still a Ranger, yes, but… either way.)

Over where the Dusknoir was still relentlessly chasing the Murkrow, Nero had gotten impatient before suddenly sinking into the darkness with Shadow Sneak, however it was only a distraction to lure the avian Pokémon into a false sense of security…

close tab

played by

Lime

Lash
female
August 17
Virbank City
bi
unemployed
civilian
22 height
22 height
awards
167 posts
Lasciel Elis DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @lime6
Lasciel Elis
POSTED ON Oct 31, 2023 21:17:29 GMT
Lasciel Elis Avatar
Ohhh, how ominous. He even left a pause. Really, some people were just so…urgh. Did he have to be this melodramatic? If he tried to impress her, it definitely fell on deaf ears. If anything, she seemed annoyed.

Which did not improve when he brought down his metaphorical hammer. “Uh…huh…” she hence replied, unimpressed. “Do you expect me to praise you for that or something?” Her incredulousness was clearly deadpan as could be. The larger male did try to intimidate her, but it was a tad bit obvious that it was what he was trying to do.

“Anyway, since you are a head ranger, I can probably just look your name up anyway, since you don’t want to give it.” She shrugged, again, lackadaisically. “Though if you are so important, why are you here harassing random people?”

Speaking of harassment, Murkrow did just that to its brethren, crashing right into the murder of krows while the other disappeared. In the ensuing storm of feather and body, it fly away with the others, blending in effortlessly.
close tab

played by

Ven

Lars
he / him / his
thirty-two
july 26
Sootopolis, Hoenn
don’t know, don’t care
ranger & courier
ex-head ranger
tonight
1210 height
1210 height
nessuno vince.
awards
3,792 posts
part of
TAG WITH @lars
Laurence Anderson
POSTED ON Nov 16, 2023 9:46:00 GMT
Laurence Anderson Avatar

Over where his Dusknoir had hidden into shadow, there was a singular spectral eye that stared at the flock of Murkrow that had suddenly flown nearby—before a sudden ball of spectral energy, a shadow Ball suddenly burst from the shadow and tried to nuke the birds out of the sky!

While most would indiscriminately scatter due to the attack, fact of the matter is that should one of the avians retaliate… well.

Back at where the two humans were…

“Still trying to intimidate tactic me, then?” he continued with this continually unimpressed look on his face. “You know that’s not going to work on me.”

Instead he would rummage around for his Ranger ID, and flash it her way.

“That ring any bells yet?”

close tab

played by

Lime

Lash
female
August 17
Virbank City
bi
unemployed
civilian
22 height
22 height
awards
167 posts
Lasciel Elis DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @lime6
Lasciel Elis
POSTED ON Nov 22, 2023 20:40:08 GMT
Lasciel Elis Avatar
“Ah, good, that makes it easier.” She casually snapped a picture of the ID for potential future use. “Not sure why it should ring any bells, though. Contrary to what you seem to believe, I am not the kind of person who has to memorize the faces of top or bottom law enforcers to be safe.” She shrugged a bit, feeling smug in those expertly chosen words. Indeed, as she was right then, he most certainly did not need to bother with these things. Though, admittedly, she had always been at least somewhat apt at flying under the radar anyway. That was why she had not had to officially join Rocket yet, after all.

Not that they would take her as she was now, anyway. “Besides, I don’t need to intimidate you. I just need to not be intimidated by you. Still don’t know why or how you get your kicks out of accosting little girls, but I don’t have to be scared of you.” Mostly because she had not even lifted anything from the shop yet. Hence, she just started to leave, as if daring him to object to that.

In the meantime, Murkrow, as surprised as its brethren by the sudden attack, did not suddenly retaliate. Along with the others, it scattered briefly, before flocking together again on a nearby roof, joining the chorus of caws that was looking for the aggressor there.

WRITE REPLY

QUICK REPLY

it's a long life full of long nights