6,470 posts
kyle lopez DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @kyle
kyle lopez
vct: doug vs kyle
POSTED ON Jan 1, 2024 16:12:48 GMT
kyle lopez Avatar
the tapu lele avatar eventually sees himself matched against kyle.

"looks like it's us two now." although they weren't close as far as he knows, he's one of the people kyle suddenly felt familiar with after the galar incident. "how many matches have you done this time around?"

he was the previous winner of the hoenn star tournament after all. it wouldn't be farfetched to assume such.

his poochyena greets the opposing trainer with one sharp bark. the familiarity between his trainer and doug seemed to have seeped through the pokemon itself as well through the sync provided by the sygna suit.

"let's add another one to that."

he turns around and makes space for the battle, leaving his poochyena to face against doug's pokemon.

close tab

played by

Epic BugCatcher

Dr. Doug
He/Him
20 (40)
March 3
Viridian City, Kanto
It just works
Lt. Colonel, Medical Corps
AQUA Initiative
Dreaming
of our future
5' 11" (181 cm) / 180 lbs (82 kg) height
You're being healed. Please do not resist.
awards
2,879 posts
part of
TAG WITH @bugcatcherdoug
John Sullivan
POSTED ON Jan 1, 2024 16:30:19 GMT
John Sullivan Avatar

VCT

Vs

"Ahoy, Guildmaster!" Doug greeted cheerfully, tipping his hat at the man. "'fraid this is only my second one, actually!"

He popped open a pocketwatch, humming thoughtfully.

"I'm tryin' to take it easy this time." He said as he calculated how much time he had left.

The League and the Hoenn public already knew he was capable at this point; he didn't need to grandstand on a world stage just to get his name out there anymore. And in any case... he liked to think he had outgrown his need for validation.

"I gotta get back to the ER after this, so... Show me a good time, champ!" He said, winking at the man as he sent out his Scyther.

The scyther landed lightly on the makeshift battlefield, cocking her head from one side to the other as she looked over her opponent... before dropped down and began to stretch.

Doug approached her from behind, his hands pressing to her back and helping her limber up.

"Just a sec! Kama pulled a few muscles in her first fight, so she's been all about yoga since." He said with an eyeroll.

Once they were done, the Scyther hopped back up to her feet, lightly hopping from one foot to the other before finally focusing back on Kyle and her pokemon, lowering her stance.

"Alright then— let's do this!"

close tab

played by

aero

dog boy
he/him
october 24
verdanturf
asexual
league officer
champion
Join my dream it's just the right time, woah
awards
6,470 posts
kyle lopez DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @kyle
kyle lopez
POSTED ON Jan 1, 2024 16:44:33 GMT
kyle lopez Avatar
"ayo? let's go!"

it was always better to have a duel for the fun of it. he wishes a lot more of the participants took it easy this time around, especially after the traumatic hst.

"they said they'll allow any gimmicks in this tournament, so i'm relying on that to make an impression."

his poochyena, although trained enough to compete at a professional level, doesn't reach the level of what kyle can be proud of just yet. the sygna suit will be the one carrying most of the work here.

he wears his vital gear, hiding the glint on his eye as pseudo avatarship takes place. he steals his pokemon's future sight, but effects of it wouldn't be apparent without a visual cue or the delayed effect.

"here's to good fun!"

the poochyena rushes in, charging in with a headbutt that displays the force of a dragon hammer.

PiUx|mpc (+10)

close tab

played by

Epic BugCatcher

Dr. Doug
He/Him
20 (40)
March 3
Viridian City, Kanto
It just works
AQUA Initiative
Dreaming
of our future
awards
2,879 posts
part of
TAG WITH @bugcatcherdoug
John Sullivan
POSTED ON Jan 1, 2024 16:49:50 GMT
John Sullivan Avatar

VCT

Vs

He was glad the guildmaster seemed to just be having fun as well; he suspected Kama wouldn't be able to enjoy herself much if the man really were trying to just blast through the competition.

Doug doesn't know much the little Poochyena before him, but it's Kyle's pokemon, so something was sure to be amyss.

"Go!" Doug nodded at his Scyther, who leapt forth seemingly to meet the Poochyena's charge— before suddenly attempting to vault over it to strike over head, swiping down with the flat of her Scythes.

TL;DR:

-Kama used Acrobatics.

KPkuA4z8

2/3hp

Unfortunately, the scyther was not as wary of the champion as her trainer was, underestimating the little dog before her. As her strike bounced off the draconic aura of the Poochyena's charge, she found herself repelled wholly by the blast, sent hurtling high before landing in a heap besides Kyle, leaping back to her feet utterly bewildered by what had just happened.

close tab

played by

aero

dog boy
he/him
october 24
verdanturf
asexual
league officer
champion
awards
6,470 posts
kyle lopez DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @kyle
kyle lopez
POSTED ON Jan 1, 2024 17:01:37 GMT
kyle lopez Avatar
the poochyena seemed to be as surprised as the scyther was. it expected its move, but not the one from the sygna suit.

"the universe really should stop giving our pokemon these weird moves," he shares as he notices the effects of future sight coming through. kyle lifts the vital gear up to look at doug directly. "have yours learned any of the strange ones yet?"

noticing his pokemon in a daze from amazement, kyle whistles to get his pokemon back on track.

once again, it goes for the offensive. the same movement can be observed from the pokemon before it sinks on the ground instead, traveling through the shadows and appearing behind the scyther for an attack.

HqbGiubT (+10)
3/3 hp

close tab

played by

Epic BugCatcher

Dr. Doug
He/Him
20 (40)
March 3
Viridian City, Kanto
It just works
AQUA Initiative
Dreaming
of our future
awards
2,879 posts
part of
TAG WITH @bugcatcherdoug
John Sullivan
POSTED ON Jan 1, 2024 17:08:20 GMT
John Sullivan Avatar

VCT

Vs

Doug winced as his pokemon fell in a bewildered heap besides the champion, before clapping his hands.

"Don't let it get to ya, Kama! Don't overthink it and keep having fun!" He encouraged her as he cupped his hands around his mouth. Luckily, Kama seemed more confused than angry, so she didn't immediately switch to murderous intent as she rose, meeting her own opponent's refocused efforts—

Only for it to sink into the ground.

Kama spun on her heel immediately as if her instincts were screaming at her, attempting to strike first.

"Ya mean moves they shouldn't?" Doug asked back thoughtfully as their pokemon clashed, cupping his chin thoughtfully. Did any of his pokemon fit that bill...? "I can't recall off the top o'my head, but I don't think s—"

He paused, bopping his fist atop his hand.

"Oh, my accelgor did learn Shadow Sneak too, recently." He said.

TL;DR:

-Kama used Counter.

KPkuA4z8

1/3hp

Unfortunately, Kama proved a step too slow in her approach, her feet skidding along the ground as she took the blow before being able of returning one of her own, the strike dealing damage and widening the gap between them.

close tab

played by

aero

dog boy
he/him
october 24
verdanturf
asexual
league officer
champion
awards
6,470 posts
kyle lopez DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @kyle
kyle lopez
POSTED ON Jan 2, 2024 2:49:00 GMT
kyle lopez Avatar
kyle makes a wish for this round.

"i sometimes forget they're not supposed to learn that. it's just thematic for them to, you get me?"

he didn't forget. he straight up didn't know since it wasn't one of an accelgor's commonly used moves. then again, there was an obvious reason why he hasn't seen it.

the poochyena, seeing the momentum swing in its favor, attempts to finish it off with a play rough. it leaps towards the scyther as excitement builds up in its young mind.

c4oN5083 (+10)

close tab

played by

Epic BugCatcher

Dr. Doug
He/Him
20 (40)
March 3
Viridian City, Kanto
It just works
AQUA Initiative
Dreaming
of our future
awards
2,879 posts
part of
TAG WITH @bugcatcherdoug
John Sullivan
POSTED ON Jan 6, 2024 18:19:46 GMT
John Sullivan Avatar

VCT

Vs

"I know, right? You would think it came with the territory, but I guess they don't need it!" Though now that they had it, they were certainly going to abuse it.

That aside... It went without saying, but they were getting their ass handed to them pretty bad.

"It's like they can see into the future or something..." Doug said eerily, scratching at his cheek as Kama continued to get battered around.

It didn't seem like the fight would last much longer at this rate.

Kama seemed to think so too— and fuck having fun, she liked to win.

A red aura enveloped her as she stumbled back from the latest blow, the bug type leaping back and couching low as strength flooded her body— before she launched forth to try and batter back the puppy.

TL;DR:

-Kama used Z-Swords Dance.

_|NP7CiO+50

1/3hp

close tab

played by

aero

dog boy
he/him
october 24
verdanturf
asexual
league officer
champion
awards
6,470 posts
kyle lopez DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @kyle
kyle lopez
POSTED ON Jan 9, 2024 3:37:49 GMT
kyle lopez Avatar
the wish prevails and the poochyena powers through the scyther's strike with its move.

when the dust settles, that single attack from the scyther manages to shake the pokemon to its core. legs barely manage to carry it upright, but it manages to keep itself on its toes.

the vital gear registers the win through points, whether or not the fight was actually won. kyle picks up his poochyena as soon as vitals are rewarded by the system.

"that single attack almost got my poochy," he'd comment as he picks up his pokemon, disabling its fight mode. "i think we got bailed out by the rules."

kyle doesn't understand most of it but the basics, but he's taking the win.

"that was fun. shame you have to cut your experience short with your responsibilities." kyle, too, has some of them unfinished back at his office at ever grande, but he has enough excuses to burn as long as the event was running.

close tab

played by

Epic BugCatcher

Dr. Doug
He/Him
20 (40)
March 3
Viridian City, Kanto
It just works
AQUA Initiative
Dreaming
of our future
awards
2,879 posts
part of
TAG WITH @bugcatcherdoug
John Sullivan
POSTED ON Jan 9, 2024 13:02:43 GMT
John Sullivan Avatar

VCT

Vs

He wasn't sure of what the champion meant by that, but he accepted the ego-saving statement with a chuckle.

"Well, it was funny." He said wryly, patting Kama on the head to fully heal her whilst crouched besides her. "Not too sure if Kama had fun, though."

She was a very proud girl— and losing to a poochyena was probably not gonna be doing any favors to her ego.

"Maybe the true victory was the humility we learned along the way." He said with a snort, before grinning over to Kyle as he stood back up. "Don't worry about work— I'll be back."

The tournament would be going for a while. He just needed to fit as many scraps in between lunch breaks as he could.

WRITE REPLY

QUICK REPLY

it's a long life full of long nights