TAG WITH @marianne
Marianne Lovelace
Everybody's Talking about the New Age
POSTED ON Jan 4, 2024 6:55:02 GMT
Marianne Lovelace Avatar
[nospaces]
[attr="class","maritest"]
[attr="class","body"]

Marianne was a woman of sciencetm. When other girls had been playing little paper fortune games guessing at their future spouses, jobs, etc., she'd been reading National Pokegraphic and soaking in curious stories from around the world.[break][break]

This, however, did not stop her mother from regularly trying to get her only child into newfangled 'spiritual' thinking. By proxy, Marianne had amassed quite the collection of healing crystals, a dusty old Tarot deck she'd never learned how to use, and enough good luck charms to make her vanity look tacky.[break][break]

One day, Marianne had arrived at her apartment to find her mother had broken in with her spare key to reassemble all her furniture according to some 'balance of energy' that made absolutely no practical sense. It took positively forever to fix everything back.[break][break]

So all in all, she should have been relieved that her mother's ask this time was just... a booked session with . That's it. No chachkis, no knickknacks, no holding hands and releasing a balloon of affirmations into the sky.[break][break]

Just a session. One hour of her life spent listening to some divination silliness.[break][break]

That was surely reasonable. It wouldn't kill her, right?[break][break]

"Um, hi? I'm Marianne Lovelace. I think I'm your afternoon appointment?"[break][break]

And a skeptic, who probably will not be of much use to you at all, I'm so so sorry to waste your time, the guilt behind her eyes whispered.

TAGS[break]
NOTESMission: Employment I

[attr="class","pkmn"]

[attr="class","credit"]

[newclass=".maritest"]--accent:#ffb69e;font:13px Roboto;[/newclass]
[newclass=".maritest b"]color:var(--accent);[/newclass]
[newclass=".maritest i"]color:var(--accent);[/newclass]
[newclass=".maritest u"]text-underline-offset:3px;text-decoration-color:var(--accent);[/newclass]
[newclass=".maritest a"]font:13px Roboto;color:var(--accent);[/newclass]
[newclass=".maritest h1"]font:16px Roboto;color:var(--accent);font-weight:bold;[/newclass]
[newclass=".maritest h2"]font:14px Roboto;color:var(--accent);font-weight:bold;[/newclass]
[newclass=".maritest .body"]background-image:url("https://image.ibb.co/cpf8Wc/flower_patt.png");background-position:bottom;background-repeat:no-repeat;text-align:justify;[/newclass]
[newclass=".maritest .pkmn img"]margin:-10px -7px 0px -7px;[/newclass]
[newclass=".maritest .credit"]font-size:13px;[/newclass]
close tab

played by

Raptor

Tsuru
She/Her
April 8
Ecruteak City
Straight(?)
"Occultist"
Civillian
5'11" height
5'11" height
i used to dream in the dark of palisades park.
awards
48 posts
part of
TAG WITH @tsuru
Mitsuru Kagami
POSTED ON Jan 4, 2024 17:39:54 GMT
Mitsuru Kagami Avatar
As soon as Marianne stepped inside the offices of Lady Crane's Mystic Services, she was greeted by a cramped reception, the classical sounds of Relic FM on an analog radio, and a Dusclops standing behind what could charitably be called a "front desk".

"Duuuus...?"

It was hardly a fantastic first impression. Alas, there's only so much that could be done with the however-many-square-feet were available, and this lobby was one of the necessary casualties. There's little in this room, no chairs, no coffee table, not even so much as a magazine rack, because there simply isn't the space for them. There isn't even much in the way of decoration, just off-white wallpaper and beige carpeting. There's nothing to do but stand there and wait until your appointment is called, with nothing to distract you but the ghost acting as the receptionist. It's fortunate, then, that this particular wait only lasts a few seconds.

"...Clops."

With a nod, the spectre reached over its desk to pull open the door beside it, and gestured Marianne inside.

What awaited on the other side was a far cry from the plain cry from the "stock"-"standard" waiting room she had been standing in moments earlier. Even before one passed through the doorframe, they could smell smoke and burning incense wafting through the air. However, the difference would only grow more stark as one pressed further. Plain walls and floors were replaced with shoji screens and tatami mats, the sterile fluorescent lighting replaced by the warm glow of lanterns.

And in the middle of the room, sitting behind a short-legged table, was none other than Lady Crane herself, draped in a far-too-intricate kimono, her face obscured by a conical hat decorated with many a hanging talisman.

"Ah, Miss Lovelace! Come, sit. Tell me, would you like a cup of tea?"

close tab

played by

Scarlet

Mary, Annie
She/Her
July 8
Lilycove City
Demisexual
Museum Coordinator
Civilian
WORK WIFE
it's all for you
5'2" height
5'2" height
couldn't possibly tell you how i feel, cuz i'm shy shy shy
awards
107 posts
part of
TAG WITH @marianne
Marianne Lovelace
POSTED ON Jan 5, 2024 1:22:53 GMT
Marianne Lovelace Avatar
[nospaces]
[attr="class","body"]

It wasn't that Marianne, like, hated Ghost-type Pokemon. They were perfectly fine! Much like Bug-type Pokemon! Just not her favorite thing, which was also totally fine, not everyone had to like the same things right, but the way the Dusclops was staring at her in that teeny-tiny waiting room was the worst, most unsettling, creepy-crawly feeling ever. She squirmed every second spent standing there awkwardly, desperate for a human interaction.[break][break]

Thank Arceus the whole thing lasted only a few excruciating minutes![break][break]

The pungent scent of incense tickled her nose as they entered the room proper, and Marianne fought back the mighty need to sneeze, anxious to be polite in this person's office. This desire didn't translate to rude staring, however, which Marianne felt incapable of not doing.[break][break]

Wow. That certainly was a hat.[break][break]

"Oh, yes, hi." Marianne cleared her throat, attempting to act normal and not like a gawking weirdo. "Lady Crane, I presume? Tea sounds perfectly nice."[break][break]

Lady Crane. She felt she was in one of those period dramas with stuffy ruffly blouses and gloves where everyone sighed about the upcoming ball. Well. Or she would feel that way, if it weren't for the splendidly over-the-top kimono the woman was wearing.[break][break]

A lot of genres were being combined today. It was a little fascinating, to be honest.[break][break]

"So..." Her eyes shifted from side to side behind her glasses. "This is my first divination ever, actually. How, uh, does this work?"

TAGS[break]

[attr="class","pkmn"]

[attr="class","credit"]

[newclass=".maritest u"]text-underline-offset:3px;text-decoration-color:var(--accent);[/newclass]
[newclass=".maritest h1"]font:16px Roboto;color:var(--accent);font-weight:bold;[/newclass]
[newclass=".maritest h2"]font:14px Roboto;color:var(--accent);font-weight:bold;[/newclass]
[newclass=".maritest .body"]background-image:url("https://image.ibb.co/cpf8Wc/flower_patt.png");background-position:bottom;background-repeat:no-repeat;text-align:justify;[/newclass]
close tab

played by

Raptor

Tsuru
She/Her
April 8
Ecruteak City
Straight(?)
"Occultist"
Civillian
5'11" height
5'11" height
awards
48 posts
part of
TAG WITH @tsuru
Mitsuru Kagami
POSTED ON Jan 5, 2024 20:07:23 GMT
Mitsuru Kagami Avatar
"Very well. Ichi, be a dear and fetch us two cups of tea, please."

The Dusclops barely had barely even closed the door behind it before it was saddled with another job to do. Still, it did not seem annoyed by this turn of events. Instead, it simply let out a low rumble of response, before moving further into the building. It certainly was nice, having stalwart and reliable help. Especially when they took their paychecks in the form of the cheap kibble from the bottom shelf of the Pokemart.

As the spectre busied himself with the crushing of leaves and boiling of water, Mitsuru busied herself with the shuffling of cards. Tarot, to be specific, though not the genuine Kalosian kind. No, this was a special deck of her own curation, more suitable to her Johtonian roots, and... Less off-putting to general audiences. That is to say, she took out the Death card and replaced it with a less grisly equivelant. Was it less authentic? Sure, but it was also far less of a headache. Seriously.

"It's simple, really." Lady Crane explained, placing the deck onto the table and neatening up the edges. "Each of these cards is a glimpse into everything that is you. Past, present, and future. What is, and what isn't. What could, and what couldn't. All of these insights come together into a bigger picture, and it is in that picture that you will find the answers you seek."

With that, she settled her hand atop the deck, ready to draw.

"If you have any questions, now is the time to ask them. Otherwise, we may begin as soon as you are ready."

close tab

played by

Scarlet

Mary, Annie
She/Her
July 8
Lilycove City
Demisexual
Museum Coordinator
Civilian
WORK WIFE
it's all for you
5'2" height
5'2" height
awards
107 posts
part of
TAG WITH @marianne
Marianne Lovelace
POSTED ON Jan 10, 2024 18:15:28 GMT
Marianne Lovelace Avatar
[nospaces]
[attr="class","body"]

"A bunch of cards can tell you all that?" Marianne asked. She hoped the skepticism in her tone sounded more like curiosity, or maybe, genuine interest. It was interest, technically! If only interest in understanding what kind of hooey she had gotten herself wrapped up in this time.[break][break]

Although the tea that the Dusclops was brewing smelled absolutely lovely. Who knew Ghost-types could be so handy in the kitchen? Maybe she'd have to teach her Golurk a trick like that.[break][break]

Then Marianne realized that Lady Crane was still staring at her intently, conical hat pointed at the guest's direction with almost threatening intent, and she fumbled to explain herself further.[break][break]

"I just, um, I always figured people did special readings. Like readings about love, or readings about fortune, things like that. Are yours just broader, then? Do the cards just... tell you what they feel like telling you?"[break][break]

Not that cards could really tell anyone anything. That would be patently ridiculous, of course.[break][break]

Although a teensy itty bitty part of herself was desperately curious about what those cards intended to say. It could be funny, like a good story to share with or even entertain with later! Or it could be horribly, painfully accurate, in which case she would never ever breathe a word of this to anyone ever, especially her mother.[break][break]

"But other than that, no, I think I'm as ready as I'll ever be," she finished awkwardly, doing her best to appear nonchalant. As if she was the sort of person who did these things all the time, and totally didn't feel any kind of way about it, not at all.[break][break]

Definitely not nervous. Definitely, definitely not sweaty and nervous.

TAGS[break]

[attr="class","pkmn"]

[attr="class","credit"]

close tab

played by

Raptor

Tsuru
She/Her
April 8
Ecruteak City
Straight(?)
"Occultist"
Civillian
5'11" height
5'11" height
awards
48 posts
part of
TAG WITH @tsuru
Mitsuru Kagami
POSTED ON Feb 14, 2024 2:31:14 GMT
Mitsuru Kagami Avatar
Things were going well so far. Sure, Marianne seemed a little doubtful of her methods, but that was hardly unusual. This wasn't the first time she'd dealt with someone on the skeptical side, and it likely wouldn't be the last. All she needed to do was flip the right cards and say the right things, and everything would work out fine.

Of course, that was the hard part, wasn't it? As her fingers rested upon the top of the deck, Mitsuru took a deep breath. Then, in a single movement, she drew a card and placed it upon the table.

XII - THE HANGED MAN, REVERSED: A Malamar hangs off a T-shaped cross, a glimmering halo of indistinct energy encircling its head. Typically, the Malamar is supposed to be upside-down, but because the card is reversed, it appears rightside-up instead.

Okay. Okay! This? This was workable.

"Tell me, Miss Lovelace..." Lady Crane began, her voice softer and gentler than it had been the moment before. "How do you feel about your future? That is, the future you want for yourself. Do you feel as though you have to struggle every step of the way in pursuit of what you want? Or does it feel like the natural flow of your day-to-day life is bringing you closer to what you desire?"

close tab

played by

Scarlet

Mary, Annie
She/Her
July 8
Lilycove City
Demisexual
Museum Coordinator
Civilian
WORK WIFE
it's all for you
5'2" height
5'2" height
awards
107 posts
part of
TAG WITH @marianne
Marianne Lovelace
POSTED ON Mar 5, 2024 2:16:20 GMT
Marianne Lovelace Avatar
[nospaces]
[attr="class","body"]

Marianne scrunched her nose up a bit at this question, doubtful.[break][break]

"Aren't you supposed to tell me that?" she blurted out before she could stop herself, and deep horrible shame at this rude outburst soundly colored her red.[break][break]

Gosh, this was like going to a restaurant and telling the chef you didn't think they knew how to make their own dinner. You weren't supposed to announce things like that![break][break]

Very rude, she chided herself, mortified. You're going to get the worst reading ever, not that you care, but you totally deserve it.[break][break]

She fumbled anxiously with her tea, struggling to right herself.[break][break]

"W-well since you're asking, I guess no, I don't think it's bringing me closer to what I desire. But... it's not taking me further away, either?[break][break]

was just always there, present and existing, and completely unaware of any desires she had involving him in the first place. As it should be, considering he was her boss and that was totally completely inappropriate, for sure. For sure.

TAGS[break]

[attr="class","pkmn"]

[attr="class","credit"]

close tab

played by

Raptor

Tsuru
She/Her
April 8
Ecruteak City
Straight(?)
"Occultist"
Civillian
5'11" height
5'11" height
awards
48 posts
part of
TAG WITH @tsuru
Mitsuru Kagami
POSTED ON Mar 12, 2024 3:13:13 GMT
Mitsuru Kagami Avatar
"...Whuh...?"

Lady Crane was completely caught off-guard by the sudden criticism of her credibility, to the point where her carefully-maintained mask entirely fell from her face. Mitsuru was left sitting there, frozen in place like a Deerling in the headlights, trying to figure out what she was supposed to do. Mostly, though? She just wanted to curl up until a ball and die.

"Duuuuuuuuuuuuuscloooooooooooooops."

It's a long and low groan from Ichi that snaps her out of her funk, and after quickly getting herself back into character, Lady Crane cleared her throat with a loud "AHEM" before taking a long sip of tea. That was... bad. Very bad. She really hadn't expected such a rude comment from someone as polite-looking as Marianne... But it was fine! They were past that now. She'd just need to be a little more assertive with her interpretations of the cards, and they'd hopefully make it through this without any further issues.

"Is it not?" Lady Crane asked, tapping her finger twice upon the card as she spoke. "The future will always become the present, Miss Lovelace. If you find your desires are out of reach, and the time comes for you to grab them, what then? Wouldn't you say that inaction, whether you intend it to or otherwise, is taking you further away from what you want?"

WRITE REPLY

QUICK REPLY

it's a long life full of long nights