Viridian City, Kanto
It just works
Lt. Colonel, Medical Corps
AQUA Initiative
Dreaming
of our future
5' 11" (181 cm) / 180 lbs (82 kg) height
You're being healed. Please do not resist.
awards
2,879 posts
part of
TAG WITH @bugcatcherdoug
John Sullivan
ER: Hoenn Edition [M]
POSTED ON Mar 9, 2024 0:20:21 GMT
John Sullivan Avatar

ER: HOENN EDITION

FT.

"O-oh. I see." He said, confused.

Well, there went that idea! Now what?

Apparently. ALIENS.

"Uh." He uttered, staring at Andrea blankly as he opened his mouth, then closed it. He wasn't quite sure how to respond to that.

"I mean... yes, there's definitely aliens out there." They couldn't really argue with that after everything they had learned. "But this guy isn't one of them. This one's a—"

He paused there, mouth slipping shut. Should he tell Andrea anything...? She was a Minor Gym Leader, sure, but she was still a civilian.

An extremely active civilian who often got herself into the League vs Rocket messes, but— What but. She's gonna do it anyway.

"—a rocket avatar. Necrozma's, if I didn't guess wrong." He informed her simply.

His encounter with that man(?) of unknown identity () had been a painful experience, quite literally carved into his skin and bones. He wouldn't be forgetting it any time soon.

Luckily, he didn't scar easily.

"I would tell you to avoid him, but..." He paused, rubbing his chin thoughtfully. "Was... there anything else back in Verdanturf, when you were attacked?"

Had she come too close to something Rocket wanted, or had she simply been unfortunate? There couldn't possibly be a rocket with a grudge against Andrea, surely.

She dressed like Barney the Tyrunt and was as nice as could be. It would take someone actively looking for problems to hate her!

TL;DR:

close tab

played by

Kost

Dragon-hooded girl
she/her
August 10
Fallarbor Town, Hoenn
Asexual
Minor Gym Leader
Ace (Civilian)
5'11" (180 cm) height
5'11" (180 cm) height
I wanna become a Pokémon!
awards
1,689 posts
part of
TAG WITH @andreavaneau
Andrea Vaneau
POSTED ON Mar 9, 2024 11:18:16 GMT
Andrea Vaneau Avatar
Andrea's eyebrows rose. "An avatar? Of Necrozma? From Rocket?" From what she had heard about the light-themed legendary that may or may not have been an Ultra Beast, it was not a being to be trifled with. Being in the hands of a Rocket member who had no qualms about mauling innocent bystanders was bad news.

"I don't think there was a reason for him to attack me." The young PokéManiac replied to the doctor's next inquiry. "All I did was try to calm those Drampa down... unless the Drampa going berserk was part of his plan or something. What if he was trying to draw out someone else?" She theorized, the fact she may have just been in the wrong place at the wrong time making her even more glad she had survived.

The information that her attacker was an avatar inevitably made the nerdy girl circle back to the previous topic. "So the reason he looked like an alien was probably because of Necrozma... Do you think that's true for all avatars? By bonding with a legendary Pokémon, do you think they stop being completely human and become something else?"

Surely Doug had no first-hand experience with that sort of thing. No siree, he was just an ordinary guy.

close tab

played by

Epic BugCatcher

Dr. Doug
He/Him
20 (40)
March 3
Viridian City, Kanto
It just works
AQUA Initiative
Dreaming
of our future
awards
2,879 posts
part of
TAG WITH @bugcatcherdoug
John Sullivan
POSTED ON Mar 17, 2024 20:34:39 GMT
John Sullivan Avatar

FT.

"Yup. Yu-huh. Correct." He confirmed each time.

Best that she was as well aware as possible, if she was going to continue joining them on the battlefield. Rocket would eventually put her on its shitlist, if it hadn't already.

"No way to know. Perhaps." He wanted to say it seemed like an overreaction and a half, but then, they weren't dealing with a normal human being, good or bad.

Whoever they were, Doug knew for a fact that they were not new to killing. Their brief encounter told him that much. Perhaps Necrozma chose an avatar as unhinged as it itself was perceived by them.

He was so distracted thinking about it that he just responded on automatic to her.

"Don't think so; last time I operated on an avatar they looked human enough."

TL;DR:
close tab

played by

Kost

Dragon-hooded girl
she/her
August 10
Fallarbor Town, Hoenn
Asexual
Minor Gym Leader
Ace (Civilian)
5'11" (180 cm) height
5'11" (180 cm) height
awards
1,689 posts
part of
TAG WITH @andreavaneau
Andrea Vaneau
POSTED ON Mar 18, 2024 17:49:02 GMT
Andrea Vaneau Avatar
Andrea arched an eyebrow at his automatic response. "You operated on an avatar? Which one?" The young woman casually asked Doug to divulge sensitive information that was probably protected by the AQUA Initiative and medical confidentiality laws alike, just to sate her curiosity.

She genuinely was that oblivious.

The fact that avatars retained their humanity went against preconceived notions of them ascending to the level of demigods. It also ruled out avatarship as a possible method for Andrea to transform into a Pokémon-like entity.

Considering what avatarship had done to people like , it was a relief she would not have to go down that path in order to achieve her dream.

close tab

played by

Epic BugCatcher

Dr. Doug
He/Him
20 (40)
March 3
Viridian City, Kanto
It just works
AQUA Initiative
Dreaming
of our future
awards
2,879 posts
part of
TAG WITH @bugcatcherdoug
John Sullivan
POSTED ON Mar 21, 2024 1:32:38 GMT
John Sullivan Avatar

FT.

"'Fraid I can't say." He said, winking at her.

Unfortunately for Andrea, he wasn't distracted enough for that question.

"Patient confidentiality. You understand." Hopefully, because he wasn't all that interested in explaining medical ethics to the young dragon to be.

Still... he cocked his head, looking at Andrea curiously.

"What's gotcha so curious?" He didn't suspect her, but all these questions about avatars could've been seen as suspicious by more unhinged members of the league.

TL;DR:
close tab

played by

Kost

Dragon-hooded girl
she/her
August 10
Fallarbor Town, Hoenn
Asexual
Minor Gym Leader
Ace (Civilian)
5'11" (180 cm) height
5'11" (180 cm) height
awards
1,689 posts
part of
TAG WITH @andreavaneau
Andrea Vaneau
POSTED ON Mar 21, 2024 10:44:49 GMT
Andrea Vaneau Avatar
The dragon lover looked mildly disappointed that Doug could not answer her question, but she understood why. Not being part of any VIP groups left her out of the loop when it came to... pretty much everything. It could not be helped.

At the good doctor's own inquiry, Andrea's smile returned. "Oh, it's nothing! I was just thinking that the power of a legendary Pokémon might be the thing that lets me turn into a Pokémon myself. Scientifically and occultly, I've hit a wall, so that seems like the next logical step. I tried asking Jirachi for help about a year ago, but they couldn't grant that particular wish. They did grant my wish for a sandwich, though!"

At the mere mention of food, Chomper's mouths watered. Imagine having Jirachi on speed dial. Unlimited sandwiches!

close tab

played by

Epic BugCatcher

Dr. Doug
He/Him
20 (40)
March 3
Viridian City, Kanto
It just works
AQUA Initiative
Dreaming
of our future
awards
2,879 posts
part of
TAG WITH @bugcatcherdoug
John Sullivan
POSTED ON Mar 25, 2024 0:36:59 GMT
John Sullivan Avatar

FT.

"... Was... Was the sandwich... good?" He asked after a moment, so flabbergasted he couldn't think of anything else to say.

While not his first meeting with Andrea, it was the first time he had become privy to her... life long goals.

By golly, a human, turning into a pokemon.

"You know." He said after a moment, brows furrowing as he went into deep thought, cupping his chin.

As part of his re-studies upon... 'returning' from Galar, he had immersed himself into both the formative literature (as a refresher) and the research literature (to fill in whatever gaps Uxie might've missed).

"There's a theory out there that humans might actually be just another pokemon species." He said, rubbing his chin. "It's mostly based on historic accounts as well myth, but I've seen more than a few papers attempt at taking a more scientific crack at it."

TL;DR:
close tab

played by

Kost

Dragon-hooded girl
she/her
August 10
Fallarbor Town, Hoenn
Asexual
Minor Gym Leader
Ace (Civilian)
5'11" (180 cm) height
5'11" (180 cm) height
awards
1,689 posts
part of
TAG WITH @andreavaneau
Andrea Vaneau
POSTED ON Mar 25, 2024 8:38:44 GMT
Andrea Vaneau Avatar
"It was decent. I'd give it a 75 out of 100." Which was much higher than what anyone challenging her Gym had gotten. When it came to the quality of sandwiches, Andrea could be an unforgiving judge.

The young PokéManiac rubbed her chin in turn, contemplating the intriguing theory shared by Dr. Doug. "Hmmmm, no." She bluntly rejected it. "In earliest recorded history, Pokémon and humans are referred to as separate tribes. Humans are the only mammal on Earth, whereas every Pokémon capable of breeding that we know of lays eggs. We don't have Moves, nor Abilities. You also can't catch another human in a Pokéball to make them your pal. Furthermore, in the oldest known myth--the Original Story--humans aren't mentioned once. However we came to be in this world, we were not created by Arceus... One theory suggests that we came from outer space!"

Said theory had been posted 10 years ago on 4chansey.org by an anonymous user, and had since circulated the internet almost as much as a certain excerpt about Vaporeon.

close tab

played by

Epic BugCatcher

Dr. Doug
He/Him
20 (40)
March 3
Viridian City, Kanto
It just works
AQUA Initiative
Dreaming
of our future
awards
2,879 posts
part of
TAG WITH @bugcatcherdoug
John Sullivan
POSTED ON Mar 26, 2024 21:21:47 GMT
John Sullivan Avatar

FT.

"SEVENTY-FIVE?" He gawked, mouth wide in outrage. "A WISH SANDWICH?"

Bah! She probably didn't even ask for anything specific! Poor Jirachi probably had to come up with some sort of Platonic ideal of a sandwich on the spot!

Speaking of nonsense, though...

Doug just snorted and laughed, leaning his head onto his fist before smiling at her.

"May I be a sophist for a bit? I'm on break, so... may as well have fun, yah?"

He didn't care one way or another, but he was always willing to argue just to be a dick for argument's sake.

He held up a finger.

"I could argue humans do have moves. Unique abilities, too." He said.

He held up a finger once again, counting.

"We're the only creatures on this sweet earth that sweat the way we do. It makes our stamina recovery greater than any other in the world." He said. "Some say that, before the advent of the pokeball, it was this that allowed us to essentially run down stronger, faster, tougher prey into submission, as well as get the heck outta dodge when things got tough."

It was an ability that many claimed had been key to humanity's survival and development during the eras prior to the pokeball.

Finger number two.

"We have the greatest capacity for synergy, teamwork and communication amongst all species on Earth." Passimians wished they could get done half as much as humans did with half the people and a quarter of the time. Less if pokemon under human instruction became involved.

Finger number three.

"Technology— humans are unique in not just in their intelligence, but in the way their creativity meshes with that intelligence. We ain't the only creatures that create and iterate— but I think it's fair to say at this point that we do it better than anything else. Even though some pokemon trump us in sheer IQ, by a lot in some cases, they can't seem to marshal it for creative purposes to near the same effectiveness as a human with a fraction of their IQ can."

Alakazam and Oranguru came to mind.

"Consider this: If being 'sturdy', or having a powerful stench, or being oblivious can be an ability, why not any of these?"

Even if one assumed an ability needed to be useful in combat (ignoring the many abilities out there that weren't), humans had turned their intelligence into the barrel of a gun, and the edge of a spear before that.

Humans were more than capable than tangling with other pokemon— if not as individuals, then certainly as a species.

"And— We can tackle. We can scratch, and bite. We can punch, kick, headbutt, slam, karate chop, low sweep—" He listed off each one from top of his head, raising a finger for each. "We can use tools to slash or achieve other effects, too. If Farfetch'd and Tinkaton can do it, then our own arbitrary taxonomy should allow for us to do it as well. No?"

A Tinkaton couldn't use Megaton hammer without the aformentioned hammer, and neither Farfetch'd nor Sirfetch'd could slash without their leek, either. Both tools that they could lose and need to replace.

He paused. There was more he could say, but this was just for fun.

"Yer thoughts, Ms. Avenau?" He asked, leaning back on his seat.

TL;DR:

close tab

played by

Kost

Dragon-hooded girl
she/her
August 10
Fallarbor Town, Hoenn
Asexual
Minor Gym Leader
Ace (Civilian)
5'11" (180 cm) height
5'11" (180 cm) height
awards
1,689 posts
part of
TAG WITH @andreavaneau
Andrea Vaneau
POSTED ON Mar 26, 2024 23:15:03 GMT
Andrea Vaneau Avatar
"Sophist? Yeah, I don't see why not." The young woman nodded. She most assuredly knew what that word meant. Totally. No, she did not try to sneak a peek at her phone and look up the definition online. She was smarter than that.

In response to her fringe internet theories, Dr. Doug proceeded to spit... a bunch of speculative drivel, frankly, but it was speculative drivel backed by science and an actual PhD. Humans did possess their own unique skills--some inherent, some learnable--same as Pokémon. Instead of slapping a Technical Machine on their heads and calling it a day, they had to waste countless hours and funds in some university.

"I see..." The bedridden PokéManiac cupped her chin in deep, ponderous thought. "When I wear my Sygna Suit, I can Crunch just like Chomper does, but it's not like I couldn't bite stuff before. Then again, I can also Fly, which I definitely couldn't do before. Is it possible that humans possess latent Pokémon traits that Infinity Energy can awaken? And if that's the case, at what point in our evolution did we trade off those traits for a higher intelligence and creativity?"

And more importantly, was there a way to reverse that evolutionary shift? To reject modernity and go back to Mankey? One thing was certain: She was not getting her answers out of an online message board filled with even bigger lunatics than herself.

Finally, Andrea made up her mind. "I'm gonna read up on our world's history. I need to find out what made our species diverge. Was it the advent of the Pokéball, or was it something else... Would you happen to know any good historians?" She asked the dashing doctor.

close tab

played by

Epic BugCatcher

Dr. Doug
He/Him
20 (40)
March 3
Viridian City, Kanto
It just works
AQUA Initiative
Dreaming
of our future
awards
2,879 posts
part of
TAG WITH @bugcatcherdoug
John Sullivan
POSTED ON Apr 4, 2024 0:48:29 GMT
John Sullivan Avatar

FT.

Doug smiled as he watched her reconsider.

"What I just did was more or less just poke holes into yer earlier logic." He said, winking. "Ya don't have to fully switch yer stance— but it's good to be curious, ain't it?"

The mark of true intellectual honesty wasn't in accepting everything that came, but in being willing to consider it, think about it, look into it, and perhaps come to a more complete understanding of a subject or issue.

"A historian, though..." Doug said, crossing his arms thoughtfully. "Honestly, I dunno if any of them would be specialized in human evolution."

Perhaps it would be better to send her to one of the professors...? Then again, both women were terribly busy...

Wait. He did know a... museum curator~.

"... Is the name familiar to you, Ms. Vaneau?" He asked her casually, giving her a toothy smile.

TL;DR:

close tab

played by

Kost

Dragon-hooded girl
she/her
August 10
Fallarbor Town, Hoenn
Asexual
Minor Gym Leader
Ace (Civilian)
5'11" (180 cm) height
5'11" (180 cm) height
awards
1,689 posts
part of
TAG WITH @andreavaneau
Andrea Vaneau
POSTED ON Apr 4, 2024 9:41:27 GMT
Andrea Vaneau Avatar
Doug’s initial response was the cause of much disappointment. If historians didn’t specialize in pseudoscience and ancient aliens, what did they specialize in? Actual historical events? Lame.

Soon, the good doctor had a eureka moment, recommending a name that was very familiar to Andrea. “Yuina is a historian?! I didn’t know that!” She’d never bothered to ask her friend what she did for a living. Only boring adults asked each other about their jobs.

“I’ll make sure to bring it up next time I see her. Thanks, Mr. Doug!” She smiled at the young man, calling him mister even though he was the same age as her. Thanks to him, she now had a clear goal in mind as soon as she was discharged from the hospital.
close tab

played by

Epic BugCatcher

Dr. Doug
He/Him
20 (40)
March 3
Viridian City, Kanto
It just works
AQUA Initiative
Dreaming
of our future
awards
2,879 posts
part of
TAG WITH @bugcatcherdoug
John Sullivan
POSTED ON Apr 5, 2024 22:29:56 GMT
John Sullivan Avatar

FT.

"She's more of a Museum expert, but... she does specialize in ancient pokemon." He said, before tipping his hat to her, winking. "And no prob, Ms. Andrea. Say Hi to Ms. Yuina for me, won't cha?"

They saw each other often enough, but he wanted to know he was the one who sent Andrea her way.

Rising up from his seat, he stretched his arms with a grunt briefly, before nodding her way.

"Welp! My break's all done. Gotta get back on the ground. Yer free to rest as long as ya need. I'll get the paperwork sortied out." He said, turning towards the door. He tipped his hat Chomper's way with a grin, before moving to leave.

"Don't do anythin' reckless if possible, but if ya do— I'm usually in Mauville, but ya can request me by name on any hospital and they'll know." He said, before waving. "See ya around."

TL;DR:
close tab

played by

SHIV

GONGAGER
he/him
October 13
GONGAGA
gongaga-romantic
gongager
gongago
me?
gongaga
808 height
808 height
WHERE ARE UNOVA REMAKES
awards
39,026 posts
shiv DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @shiv
shiv
POSTED ON Apr 7, 2024 21:48:46 GMT
shiv Avatar
[nospaces]
[attr="class","TRAINER"]
[attr="class","omaccepted"]
[attr="class","omacceptedtop"]MISSION COMPLETE!

[attr="class","omacceptedmid"]

YOU RECEIVE THE REWARDS BELOW:[break]

[attr="class","omacceptedlinks"]
[attr="class","omacceptedlinks1"]TAGS: