Dyfalu

Aubre
She/Her
February 17
Turffield
Demisexual
Pokémon Doctor
Civilian
I Still Believe, Inside of Me, There's Someone Not Unspoken. Someone Not So Broken.
awards
345 posts
part of
TAG WITH @aubremckenna
Aubre McKenna-Settentrione
One Last Hope [EBC]
POSTED ON Feb 4, 2024 16:26:16 GMT
Aubre McKenna-Settentrione Avatar
[nospaces]
[attr="class","gunstest1"]

[attr="class","pkmn"]

[attr="class","text"]

The doctor looks twitchy—like she’s trying to sell cocaine at the police station. Her fingers worry at her sleeves like overly excited sheepdogs. But there’s nothing illicit about this. It’s just a cute little cafe in Oldale Town. The only thing she has is a pomegranate tea on the table and her cell phone. She checks the latter from time to time. But the clinic’s quiet today. Which Aubre is a bit disappointed by.
[break][break]

Some part of her wanted to put off this meeting again. To let this last strand of hope stay whole for a little while longer. If it was snapped today, the doctor didn’t know what she’d do. Would it be the straw that broke the Camerupt’s back? “Lisk.” A clawed hand laid across hers. A Heliolisk smiled as he flipped a piece of his notebook toward her: ‘It’ll be okay, Aubs. Relax.’ The nervous look was temporarily replaced with a small, scared smile.
[break][break]

The little sparkplug was right. She’d already been through hell and lived. So, it wouldn’t kill her to wait just a little longer. The pain would just persist. Her eyes jerked up as entered. Here we go. Standing from her seat, the redhead offered a nod of greeting and a nervous smile. “I hope you didn’t have any trouble finding the place.”
[break][break]

She also pulled out his chair.

[attr="class","ooc"][break]

NOTES

Let's see how her hope goes

[googlefont=Montserrat]
[newclass=.gunstest1]--accent:#5AC575;[/newclass]
[newclass=.gunstest1]font:12px Roboto;letter-spacing:.25px;line-height:15px;[/newclass]
[newclass=".gunstest1 b"]color:var(--accent);[/newclass]
[newclass=".gunstest1 a"]color:var(--accent);font:12px Roboto;[/newclass]
[newclass=".gunstest1 i"]color: #72CD89;[/newclass]
[newclass=".gunstest1 u"]text-underline-offset:3px;text-decoration-color:var(--accent);[/newclass]
[newclass=".gunstest1 h1"]font:800 18px Montserrat;color:var(--accent);letter-spacing:.5px[/newclass]
[newclass=".gunstest1 h2"]font:800 16px Montserrat;color:var(--accent);letter-spacing:.5px[/newclass]
[newclass=".gunstest1 .text b"]font:bold 12px Montserrat;letter-spacing:.1px;line-height:15px;[/newclass]
[newclass=".gunstest1 .ooc b"]font-size:12px;[/newclass]
[newclass=".gunstest1 .pkmn img"]margin:-10px -7px 0px -7px;[/newclass]
close tab

played by

Epic BugCatcher

Dr. Doug
He/Him
20 (40)
March 3
Viridian City, Kanto
It just works
Lt. Colonel, Medical Corps
AQUA Initiative
Dreaming
of our future
5' 11" (181 cm) / 180 lbs (82 kg) height
You're being healed. Please do not resist.
awards
2,875 posts
part of
TAG WITH @bugcatcherdoug
John Sullivan
One Last Hope [EBC]
POSTED ON Feb 6, 2024 2:13:59 GMT
John Sullivan Avatar

One Last Hope

Ft.

"Not at all— been 'round Petalburg a couple times before." He told the redhead as he approached the table. "Oh, thank you."

Taking a seat across from the woman, he gestured for her to take her own seat once again, before raising his hand to signal a waitress.

He took his time with the menu, chatting amicably with the woman in charge of their orders. As she walked away with his request, green tea, he finally brought his gaze back to her.

"Ms. Aubre, if I got it right before?" He addressed her, smiling at her. His eyes drifted to the many layers of clothing she wore. "Are you comfortable, right now?"

He wasn't super certain yet of what afflicted her— their conversation had been stilted, and not a little confusing. Fortunately for the young redhead, Doug wasn't one to turn away anyone, even if a request came highly suspect.

Perhaps careless on his part.

TL;DR:
Nice to meet you, Ms. McKenna.

close tab

played by

Dyfalu

Aubre
She/Her
February 17
Turffield
Demisexual
Pokémon Doctor
Civilian
I Still Believe, Inside of Me, There's Someone Not Unspoken. Someone Not So Broken.
awards
345 posts
part of
TAG WITH @aubremckenna
One Last Hope [EBC]
POSTED ON Mar 21, 2024 12:47:09 GMT
[nospaces]

[attr="class","pkmn"]

[attr="class","text"]
Before Aubre could speak, Alastor offered up a lazy wave. His normally relaxed blue eyes are surprisingly protective. His pencil lay poised against his notepad, like a sword half out of its sheath. When it came to his sister, the lizard was pretty damn protective. “Heli.” The electric type greets Johnathon as the humans begin their silly dance.
[break][break]
“I’m glad to hear it. I realized should have included the address—” There was probably some other place here with that name. “—but I didn’t want to spam your inbox.” It wasn’t like sea names were rare around here. There were at least twelve restaurants she knew of with the word ‘coast’ in them. Still, they were here now, and there was no need to fret about that.
[break][break]

Not when he was here, and her last hope was burning itself out. When indicated, she practically falls back into her seat. Is it hot in here? Is that just me? A hand wraps around her cup of ice water until her knuckles whitened. Any thoughts of ordering an appetizer vanish. Right now, she doesn’t trust herself to speak. The idea of food makes her stomach churn.
[break][break]

Part of her wanted to just get this over with. The other wanted to run for the hills, anything to preserve that last sliver of hope. The thought of a present cure was a great balm for the future. Just let him put his order in. You know how it feels to be rushed.
[break][break]

She doesn’t correct the title. Sure she’s a missus, but that’s not important. “That’s right. I’m Aubre, and this is Alastor.” The lizard offers a hesitant nod. His frill raises with each breath, a reflection of his trainer’s nerves. The next question makes her chew on her lip. A few dozen different responses threaten—most of them full of self-loathing. “As comfortable as I ever am.” She finally admits with a sigh. There is a glisten in her eyes that quickly fades.
[break][break]

Her hands shake as the doctor pulls out her phone. Her screensaver is a family photo. She and her husband holding their daughter’s hands in front of a far-off beach. “I’m sorry I wasn’t very—I just have a hard time talking about it.” Tilting the screen toward herself, the doctor takes a deep breath. Then she flicks through a recent album. “Some part of my brain thinks it will go away if I just don’t mention it.”
[break][break]

Aubre’s breath turns shaky. “And you know what they say about pictures and words.” She slid the phone over to him. The last few inches end in a toss, as if she is desperate to free herself from a jellyfish. “I know it’s not pretty.” On the screen is a picture of her back. Only a bra in place. The burn scars are angry, looking as if they were lain yesterday and not six or seven years ago. It’s a twisted, monstrous hunk of flesh. The normal musculature is almost impossible to discern, only the straps serving as landmarks.
[break][break]

Seemingly aware they were being discussed, the scars flared up and the redhead winced. Screw off. I'm done with you. [break][break]
Her teeth gritted as she bit back a noise of pain. “A Houndoom’s responsible. And, well, we all know what that’s like.” Except most people didn’t. They knew what the science said, but not what it actually felt like.
[break][break]

Finally, she took a drink. “I’ve tried everything.” A single tear rolls down her cheeks. For some reason, she doesn’t mind the vulnerability.

NOTES

[googlefont=Montserrat]
[newclass=.gunstest1]font:12px Roboto;letter-spacing:.25px;line-height:15px;[/newclass]
[newclass=".gunstest1 u"]text-underline-offset:3px;text-decoration-color:var(--accent);[/newclass]
[newclass=".gunstest1 h1"]font:800 18px Montserrat;color:var(--accent);letter-spacing:.5px[/newclass]
[newclass=".gunstest1 h2"]font:800 16px Montserrat;color:var(--accent);letter-spacing:.5px[/newclass]
[newclass=".gunstest1 .text b"]font:bold 12px Montserrat;letter-spacing:.1px;line-height:15px;[/newclass]
close tab

played by

Epic BugCatcher

Dr. Doug
He/Him
20 (40)
March 3
Viridian City, Kanto
It just works
AQUA Initiative
Dreaming
of our future
awards
2,875 posts
part of
TAG WITH @bugcatcherdoug
John Sullivan
One Last Hope [EBC]
POSTED ON Mar 26, 2024 23:44:08 GMT
John Sullivan Avatar

One Last Hope

Ft.

He listened patiently, encouraging her to take as much time as she needed.

Whatever thought, his bedside manners were excellent.

"No need to apologize." He said, nodding her way before turning his gaze to the table below.

The phone reached him by way of a trembling hand— the contents displayed on its screen not for the faint of heart.

He did not disclose any opinions, however, gazing in silence at the images before him before raising his gaze to her.

"Let's go to Petalburg general." He said as their waiter came, leaving behind green tea.

Picking it up, he brought it to his lips, taking a sip.

"Based off the images alone, I think I should be able to help." He said. "But even a photo ain't as good as actually seeing what I'm dealin' with my own eyes. I gotta run a few exams of my own as well."

He turned his gaze back at the images once again, impassive, before raising his gaze at her and smiling gently.

"Don't worry— I'm confident I'll be able to help." She said she had tried everything, and he believed her.

His treatment would not be found in any orthodox practice, however.

TL;DR: Nice to meet you, Ms. McKenna.
close tab

played by

Dyfalu

Aubre
She/Her
February 17
Turffield
Demisexual
Pokémon Doctor
Civilian
awards
345 posts
part of
TAG WITH @aubremckenna
One Last Hope [EBC]
POSTED ON Apr 5, 2024 9:49:03 GMT
[nospaces]

[attr="class","pkmn"]

[attr="class","text"]

The redhead waited for a gasp or look of disgust. Or, worse yet, the questions. However, she did so like a child playing hide-and-seek, hiding her interest behind half-closed eyes. You’ve done this this before. Just try and relax. The time of his examination seemed to stretch into eternity.
[break][break]

One made longer by her desperation. If this didn’t work, hope would return to its cell to wait for the next charlatan or experimental treatment.
[break][break]

Then, John spoke. The redhead blinked a few times. “Petalburg General?” She parroted back at him in a stilted fashion. Like the aforementioned bird, it was obvious she didn’t comprehend what she was saying. It wasn’t one of the responses she’d prepared for. CHINK! The waiter’s return breaks the spell.[break][break]

“Thank you.” She murmurs to the server as he moves on to his next table. A hand lifts to wipe a tear from her eyes. A tiny claw lays over her hands as Alastor gives her another squeeze.[break][break]

She waits for an answer. A curse like this is tough to break. She’s fully prepared for a no. So much so, in fact, that his response leaves her stunned. “You are?” Her throat’s suddenly dry. “Really?”

The idea of someone else digging at her back is excruciating. It was like being on display at a freak show. But if he thought he could help, it might be worth it. Unless it didn’t work. Then she—she’d, well, there are only so many times you can get your hopes up. Desperate to ground herself, she takes a sip from her drink.
[break][break]

The tears this time taste almost sweet.
[break][break]

Alastor, meanwhile, hops from his chair and runs to the other side of the table. As he does, his pen flies at a million miles an hour. He didn’t trust this weirdo. There was no medical degree that he knew of. For all he knew, this guy could be trying to sell Aub’s kidneys.

[break][break]

Tugging on the weirdo’s sleeve, he turns the paper to John: 'Hi. Alastor.' He taps the next line. ‘You better not be lying.' Then, his ivory claws shift down. ‘I’ll feed you an umbrella.’

NOTES

[googlefont=Montserrat]
[newclass=.gunstest1]font:10.5px Roboto;letter-spacing:.25px;line-height:15px;[/newclass]
close tab

played by

Epic BugCatcher

Dr. Doug
He/Him
20 (40)
March 3
Viridian City, Kanto
It just works
AQUA Initiative
Dreaming
of our future
awards
2,875 posts
part of
TAG WITH @bugcatcherdoug
John Sullivan
One Last Hope [EBC]
POSTED ON Apr 11, 2024 20:08:01 GMT
John Sullivan Avatar

One Last Hope

Ft.

He resisted the urge to smile.

This was clearly very important for the young woman. She had seen numerous experts prior to him, she had said so as much when first addressing him.

He couldn't act dismissively just because it seemed easy to him, the literal magic man.

"I can assure you that I do not lie." He said, raising his arm to the waiter. "Might be a lil' difficult to imagine, but it'll be become all clear soon."

It was mildly disturbing to receive a name and a threat in the same breath... sentence... whatever.

He finished paying off the tea before standing up.

"Petalburg General ain't too far." He said. "Do ya need any help walking there, miss?"

close tab

played by

Dyfalu

Aubre
She/Her
February 17
Turffield
Demisexual
Pokémon Doctor
Civilian
awards
345 posts
part of
TAG WITH @aubremckenna
One Last Hope [EBC]
POSTED ON Apr 20, 2024 8:42:48 GMT
[nospaces]

[attr="class","pkmn"]

[attr="class","text"]
Freckles vanished beneath a tidal wave of pink. The idea of having somehow insulted this man made her stomach do flip-flops. “I did not mean to imply you were!” Her tongue stumbles over its next words. “I’d never—that’s a strong accusation.” Certainly, she was skeptical, but that didn’t mean John was dishonest. Let’s not forget that her mind maligned puppies.
[break][break]

Then, the dark-haired man pivoted to reassurance. Or, you could just tell me instead. The lack of specifics was somewhat worrying. Was she supposed to let someone see her naked because he assured her it was okay? Shouldn’t he have some kind of ID card or something? But her gut told her he wasn’t out to sell her kidneys. And, no matter how small, a chance was a chance. Instead of pushing John, the redhead nodded.“I am sure it will.” Except she wasn’t.

[break][break]

Maybe that strange smoothie of emotions is what drove Alastor to do what he did. So absorbed was Aubre in her thoughts, that she missed Alastor’s dive under the table. But, the second she did, her cheeks flushed. It didn’t take a genius to know he wasn’t being nice. With an exasperated expression, she moved to bend over and read his notepad.

[break][break]

Her eyes widened. “You’ll make him—how would you even—” For a moment there was a look of fear. Like the electric type had her life preserver and was jerking it away like a cat toy. “Alastor!” Though John seemed unoffended, she doubted he’d forget that. “I’m sorry.” The doctor took a deep breath. “He’s just overprotective.” At the invitation, Aubre shook her head.

[break][break]

“I’m all right.”
And, even if it wasn’t, she’d never say it. “Just don’t ask me to cartwheel there.” A bit of forced levity. With her bill paid, the doctor moved to follow the guy outside. A tug on her sleeve made her turn.

[break][break]

‘I just don’t want you to get your hopes up.’ It was obvious the lizard had tried writing an apology in a hundred different ways. By way of response, Aubre simply smiled at him. Expressive eyes made her answer clear: I know.

NOTES

[googlefont=Montserrat]
[newclass=.gunstest1]font:10.5px Roboto;letter-spacing:.25px;line-height:15px;[/newclass]
close tab

played by

Epic BugCatcher

Dr. Doug
He/Him
20 (40)
March 3
Viridian City, Kanto
It just works
AQUA Initiative
Dreaming
of our future
awards
2,875 posts
part of
TAG WITH @bugcatcherdoug
John Sullivan
One Last Hope [EBC]
POSTED ON May 1, 2024 23:30:37 GMT
John Sullivan Avatar

One Last Hope

Ft.

It would've been amusing to her be a bundle of nerves and fears— if the context behind it hadn't been how desperate she was for a cure to her long time malady.

Hard to laugh at a woman fearing she might lose her only chance.

He scratched at his cheek.

"Mrs. Mckenna— actually, can I just call you Aubre?" He asked. "You may call me John— or Doug. Whichever you prefer."

He wasn't too anal about the whole Doctor part.

"Anyway, ya don't have to worry. Once we're in Petalburg General, ya can ask anyone ya want about my credentials." He said, hands moving to his hips.

It didn't seem like she knew who he was— which wasn't an impossibility, but it would've made things much easier for both of them if she had. Oh well— hopefully the fact that the hospital staff could vouch for him would be enough to dash her worries.

"Darn, and here I was hopin' we could get some exercise in on the way there." He said wryly, snickering. "Oh well— walkin' it is. Shall we?"

WRITE REPLY

QUICK REPLY

it's a long life full of long nights