Viridian City, Kanto
It just works
Lt. Colonel, Medical Corps
AQUA Initiative
Dreaming
of our future
5' 11" (181 cm) / 180 lbs (82 kg) height
You're being healed. Please do not resist.
awards
2,879 posts
part of
TAG WITH @bugcatcherdoug
John Sullivan
GC EXCURSION C: Lucia & Doug
POSTED ON Mar 5, 2024 2:42:16 GMT
John Sullivan Avatar

Monster Hunter

With

"These... are not pokemon tracks." The doctor muttered to himself as he crouched before a rough path.

One that had clearly been carved into the jungle by a passing, sentient storm of a living being. Its tracks were rather obvious, so Doug wasn't really paying them much mind.

No, he was much more interested into the tiny, almost imperceptible tracks hidden within them. The tracks of what he was guessing was likely a fellow hunter.

A very diminutive, likely not allowed to be there hunter.

... ?

"No, these prints are tiny, even for her." He mumbled. "Shit."

Better accelerate before whoever this diminutive hunter was got themselves in trouble...!

He sprinted down the carved path.

TL;DR:Hunting the hunter!

muiDG1Kb

close tab

played by

Madda

she/her
December 25
Cascarrafa, Paldea
??????
Trainer
Civillian
0 height
0 height
i used to dream in the dark of palisades park.
awards
164 posts
part of
TAG WITH @lucia
Lucia Aldrete
POSTED ON Mar 5, 2024 4:04:33 GMT
Lucia Aldrete Avatar
The path curved and led into a small opening trail where John was able to fully see the tracks of shoe imprints on the ground. They were getting more and more defined as he followed the source before there the hunter was that had been sitting in front of him.

The familiar, child shaped silhouette of a Paldean youth who had met him once before. She had seen better days, her front and side coated in a fresh mud. Her hair had several twigs and leaves sticking out of it, alongside minor scorch marks on her jacket's side, but all in all, she was in decent health.

Her tear soaked eyes locked onto John as he made himself known, having been caught on guard. While saddened, her mood visibly improved upon see him.

"Oh...I-It's you..." Lucia rose from the ground at her own pace alongside trying to get her hair cleared of debris. She let out a huff while picking at twigs and branches. "I was trying to catch that one Pokemon through here, but he found me. I thought I could catch him easy if I snuck up on him, but..."

amZjNmuc
close tab

played by

Epic BugCatcher

Dr. Doug
He/Him
20 (40)
March 3
Viridian City, Kanto
It just works
AQUA Initiative
Dreaming
of our future
awards
2,879 posts
part of
TAG WITH @bugcatcherdoug
John Sullivan
POSTED ON Mar 10, 2024 18:20:53 GMT
John Sullivan Avatar

Monster Hunter

With

It was a child. Crap. They looked like like they had been in a hell of a mess, too. Double crap. And... they knew him...?

He stared, wide eyed. Who...?

Oh. OH! OH MY GOD!

"Lucia?" He asked, taking a step forward before dropping to a knee in front of her.

Now he could see that she had been crying too, on top of, you know... the fact that her clothes were singed. The fact that she looked otherwise unharmed brought little peace to his heart.

For a moment, he was about to become the very thing a child feared more than danger— a hyper concerned adult. But... he sighed instead, listening to her explanation before taking a deep breath.

"Yup, it me." He said wryly.

His hand moved to her hair, helping her take all the twigs and branches out as he looked her over.

Ah, nostalgia. He remembered when and were that small, almost like it was yesterday... Because it was.

"So... you were pokemon catching. Huh! All alone, in a place like this?" He asked, smiling. "That's really brave of you."

He lightly tilted his head.

"But you know... it's very dangerous to do it alone." He said. "What if you got hurt and there was no one to help?"

He took that moment look her over, making it obvious.

"Speaking of which... are you hurt?" He asked, smiling at her encouragingly as he lightly turned to show her the blissey patch on his shoulder. 'MEDIC CORPS'. "I'm a doctor, so I can help if so. Your pokemon too!"

4xQmBPTn

close tab

played by

Madda

she/her
December 25
Cascarrafa, Paldea
??????
Trainer
Civillian
0 height
0 height
awards
164 posts
part of
TAG WITH @lucia
Lucia Aldrete
POSTED ON Mar 11, 2024 2:54:35 GMT
Lucia Aldrete Avatar
At John moving his head to help wring the twigs and leaves out of her hair, Lucia flinched every time his hand neared close to her head, though allowed him to do so without hindering or stopping him. For how much hair she had, there was a decent amount. With his help, she had it under control after a few minutes.

"Thanks..." she said hesitantly, though smiling as she appreciated the help. She moved on to answer his next remark. "The really strong ones are here, so I wanted to catch a few. We didn't do much and ran away. One launched a fire attack at us and I didn't want Hero to get hurt..."

His next question, however, she remained quiet at.

Nobody would care, that's what they would say. She deserved it before what she had done and was born into. Nothing but dirty, evil Rockets that deserved every horrible thing to happen to her. Lucia didn't really have a response other than just looking away, but at least would speak up on if she was hurt or not.

"You're a doctor and a trainer too?" Lucia asked, genuinely impressed. She hesitated, but would slowly try to push herself up. "I-I think i can get back up. It didn't attack me directly but i- AUGH!"

Her legs wobbled and didn't seem broken or anything, but she flopped back down with a huff. She gripped her right leg, sucking her into her gritted teeth.

"That fall from the tree really hurt."

Me0eGXkC
close tab

played by

Epic BugCatcher

Dr. Doug
He/Him
20 (40)
March 3
Viridian City, Kanto
It just works
AQUA Initiative
Dreaming
of our future
awards
2,879 posts
part of
TAG WITH @bugcatcherdoug
John Sullivan
POSTED ON Mar 13, 2024 0:29:29 GMT
John Sullivan Avatar

Monster Hunter

With

He could take a guess at what breathed fire at her. That aside, though—

She was adorable! Didn't even question the fact he wasn't old enough to have cleared even a bachelors.

"Yes I am, lil missy!" He said a little too proudly, nose raised high up.

Adorable, and very, very hurt, as it turned.

"Woah! Don't do that!" He urged, holding up his hands before her quickly.

If she couldn't pick herself up or stand without pain, then there was a chance that there might be a fracture, if not an outright break.

His gaze followed her own briefly, measuring the height of tree branch from which she had fallen. His lips set into a tense line.

"Why were you...? Ah, we can talk about that later." He said with a sigh, before reaching over to grab his briefcase. "So ya ran, huh? Good call! You shouldn't put your pokemon in danger— nor yourself."

Hopefully he could drill that idea into her head before they parted ways that day— he couldn't look after her 24/7, but everything he knew about children in Hoenn told him that the moment she was out of sight, she would be getting into another mess.

"May I see your leg, Lucia?"

Popping his briefcase open, the young doctor pulled out and slid on his gloves.

ueZJYWbA

close tab

played by

Madda

she/her
December 25
Cascarrafa, Paldea
??????
Trainer
Civillian
0 height
0 height
awards
164 posts
part of
TAG WITH @lucia
Lucia Aldrete
POSTED ON Mar 13, 2024 7:54:28 GMT
Lucia Aldrete Avatar
"It was a pretty short Pokemon that was chasing me, so I climbed up the tree. He wasn't really a fan of that..."

Lucia wasn't in the best spot to run if the both of them were going to be ambushed by that thing again if it did indeed come back. For now, she could maybe crawl away as best she could and pray it went after John. That was assuming Lucia would just allow anybody to get hurt on her watch. She may not have been a medic, but she could still be just as heroic!

Josh asked for her leg and she obliged. She set it before the doctor in a careful manner to reduce the amount of pain generated from moving her limb. A quick once over showed that there was now outward damage, at the very least. No bones sticking out or open wounds. But even the faintest touch to Lucia's upper thigh was enough to get her to wince in pain.

"Um, how have you been since the Tournament?" The child asked, trying to make small talk. "A-Are you doing okay? I saw that you placed higher than me."

CPdGYZ7Y
close tab

played by

Epic BugCatcher

Dr. Doug
He/Him
20 (40)
March 3
Viridian City, Kanto
It just works
AQUA Initiative
Dreaming
of our future
awards
2,879 posts
part of
TAG WITH @bugcatcherdoug
John Sullivan
POSTED ON Mar 19, 2024 0:16:53 GMT
John Sullivan Avatar

Monster Hunter

With

"What a grouch!" Doug scoffed, lips pursed. "we should teach it a lesson if we see it again."

All Pokemon had a certain level of intelligence— and morality. It should know better than to chase kids... Then again, she was still alive somehow, mercifully.

"Thanks— us doctor's really like patients like ya." He said with a smile, before examining her wound.

No apparent damage; at least, none that could be spotted at a glance. The best course of action would've been to take her back to a hospital for a quick exam...

Or.

"Garo." Doug intoned— before releasing an Orbeetle from a net ball. "Scan her wounds— inside an out."

As the pokemon went to do that, Doug turned his gaze back to Lucia, before reaching over to ruffle her hair.

"I'm peachy, love. I've got the best job in the world." He said, winking. "I saw your rankings, too! Not too shabby at all! You're doing way better than I was at your age."

He leaned his head onto his fist, head cocked as he asked while smiling.

"Ya thinkin' of takin' on the gym challenge, Lucy?"

IlZExrpV
37+17+46+28+22 = 150

close tab

played by

Madda

she/her
December 25
Cascarrafa, Paldea
??????
Trainer
Civillian
0 height
0 height
awards
164 posts
part of
TAG WITH @lucia
Lucia Aldrete
POSTED ON Mar 19, 2024 2:26:53 GMT
Lucia Aldrete Avatar
It would be a pretty hard fought battle all things considered. Lucia didn't have the best record in battling, though there was some chance they could find some kind of matching ground between the weird looking Pokemon and the two of them. Maybe they could pull it off! Just not in this state though.

"Sorry for making you worry." Lucia apologized, "I thought that this would have been like any Pokemon battle before..."

The Orbeetle would get started on scanning her leg for any signs of damage as Lucia sat with baited breath. She really didn't know what would come of this, though worried that it would put an end to her journeying around Hoenn permanently.

When it finished the scan, the results would come up with a semi-moderate bruise. Nothing had broken or ruptured inside of her, but the impact trauma from the fall was more than likely the culprit for why she had experienced pain moving the leg around in wider angles than most.

His hands went through her hair as Lucia felt needles shove themselves into her head. The soft, stinging sensation that she had been all accustomed to when something had neared there. Once Doug's fingers made contact, Lucia's response was quick, flinching as she quickly leaned away. Her pulse had increased and eyes had dilated before realizing what had just happened.

"S-Sorry." she apologized again, keeping her head down. "I didn't mean to..."

Lucia rambled off while her mental game was in a bit of a funk. She hated why she always did this and how she looked to people. But she couldn;t help herself, just feeling every disgusting and horrid feeling when somebody had touched her head like that. It was a wonder that she hadn't tried to run off, and likely would have had it not been for the leg slowing her down. Doug meant well, she was sure.

She liked to think that, anyway.

At his question about gym challenges, Lucia moped but nodded her head. "Yeah. I'm still trying to work on a team though." She exhaled, but found herself looking back down at the nickname of sorts he had for her. The child found it nice in a way. Lucy. It was an even shorter way of saying her shortened name. Her mother probably wouldn't have approved though.

"Are you? Your Pokemon was way strong back when we fought last."

TSxgRa3_
close tab

played by

Epic BugCatcher

Dr. Doug
He/Him
20 (40)
March 3
Viridian City, Kanto
It just works
AQUA Initiative
Dreaming
of our future
awards
2,879 posts
part of
TAG WITH @bugcatcherdoug
John Sullivan
POSTED ON Mar 20, 2024 2:49:31 GMT
John Sullivan Avatar

Monster Hunter

With

He froze when the girl reeled back from his hand, eyes growing wide ever so briefly.

The reaction was... familiar, in a sense. Once again, Lucia was reminding him all too much of other kids he knew.

"D'aw, ya don't gotta apologize." He said after a moment, waving his hands before himself. She looked so sad... gods, she looked like she needed a hug. "I shouldn't have surprised ya."

But he knew better now. For now.

So instead... distract!

He made a show of looking around.

"Did'cha know, Lucy? This chasm is actually new. It didn't use to be 'ere." He revealed (he hoped it was a reveal, anyway) to the girl, leaning a bit close as if whispering little known secrets. "A lot of pokemon here are super rare and not found anywhere but Hoenn... but they're also super dangerous. Try to avoid them unless you're with a reaaally strong friend... Like me!"

He knew from experience that telling the kids not to do something just assured that they most definitely would... but telling them they could with a reasonable conditional would at least slow them down.

Speaking of strong, though...

"Well..." He grinned at her, winking as he casually reached into his bag... producing a case.

It opened.

"I already did my gym challenge." He said, winking. "So if ya got any questions, ya know who to ask!"

He grinned.

"Not to brag or anything, but I'm pretty good at buildings teams."

w4veGsA6
150+13+23 = 186

close tab

played by

Madda

she/her
December 25
Cascarrafa, Paldea
??????
Trainer
Civillian
0 height
0 height
awards
164 posts
part of
TAG WITH @lucia
Lucia Aldrete
POSTED ON Mar 20, 2024 3:30:01 GMT
Lucia Aldrete Avatar
The distraction had worked while Lucia listened to Doug's explanation on the status of the chasm here. It was a pretty cool find, which did take her mind off of her current predicament for the moment. She did slowly lean back in at the reveal that such a wide gap would just suddenly appear like that.

"Did they ever find out what caused it to open? I don't think any normal Pokemon can just cause a hole like this to open up. And were the Pokemon just always here underground? What about all those ones that people say are robots?"

All that came to an end when Doug had showed the girl his badgees and-

"Wow."

It was all that came out of Lucia's mouth for a little while. Just taking in the sights of all the major gyms defeated that made her envious of the doctor. For a brief moment, all the pain seemed to go away while she envisioned herself in his position. The sign of a master trainer and somebody who had shown their worth to the world against anything that would do them harm.

Somebody like her brother...

"I have a ton! What was it like during your first visit to a gym? Do you have any advice on which Pokemon I should get? What about dragon types, I heard they're the strongest. Should I get a bunch of Pokemon first and then try for a badge? Or just go now? My team's still pre-evolutions right now. Do you know what any of the gym leaders do in battle? What about mega bracelets? Oh, or tera orbs! Is there something I should get first?"

Lucia leaned in, asking question after question as the gloomy mood had been replaced by a far more pleasant sounding youth wanting to squeeze every last drop of information out of Doug that she could manage.

L0fYc9xE
close tab

played by

Epic BugCatcher

Dr. Doug
He/Him
20 (40)
March 3
Viridian City, Kanto
It just works
AQUA Initiative
Dreaming
of our future
awards
2,879 posts
part of
TAG WITH @bugcatcherdoug
John Sullivan
POSTED ON Mar 21, 2024 2:09:41 GMT
John Sullivan Avatar

Monster Hunter

With

Ah, the innocent admiration of a child.

With none of 's or ' sass, to boot. He could almost get used to this...

But wow, she was a curious little one, huh.

"Wow, wow, wow!" He said with a wide grin, chuckling. "Let's go over it one question at a time."

He cocked his head slightly, turning his gaze down to her leg.

"But first— let's get you fixed up." He said.

He had considered how to handle her wound. He could easily heal it up, but he didn't want to give such a young child any weird ideas of what her body could handle.

But he wouldn't just let her hurt either.

He reached into his bag, producing an ice pack.

"We're going to press this against your wound, Lucy." He informed her. "It might sting at first, but it'll feel a lot better after— promise."

He waited until he first got her permission before nodding at his orbeetle, who slowly floated the ice pack against the girl's bruise, pressing it gently.

In the meanwhile...

"Anyway, let's see... My first time in a Pokemon Gym?" He hummed thoughtfully, cupping his chin. "It's been almost... nine, ten years since."

Even before Hoenn, he had taken his first crack at the gym challenge in Kanto.

"It was... awe inspiring, I think." He said, before laughing. "I had a real bad case of star struck— the county I was born in? It was home to the strongest gym leader in the region, so... we were pretty darn proud, haha."

iucRKv8P
232+31 = 263

close tab

played by

Madda

she/her
December 25
Cascarrafa, Paldea
??????
Trainer
Civillian
0 height
0 height
awards
164 posts
part of
TAG WITH @lucia
Lucia Aldrete
POSTED ON Mar 21, 2024 7:14:44 GMT
Lucia Aldrete Avatar
Out of Doug's magical little wonder bag came an ice pack which was pressed against her leg. The sheer temperature difference between the ice pack and her body was enough to cause some minor discomfort at first, but it subsided soon enough as it was held against her skin.

But at least Doug's recollection of his first gym battle was enough to distract her for the time being!

"You've been a trainer for THAT long?! You must be, like, one of the best people in Hoenn right now! Can you show me your team sometime?"

Just for a moment, Lucia had forgotten about her little wounded leg and was happy to openly admire and gush over Doug's accomplishments. She was lucky that the ice pack had helped with the pain somewhat as she adjusted her posture to better be looking up at the man.

"Still, it's gotta be hard when your first gym leader battle is against the strongest in your region. Did you win on your first try, or did it take a few attempts?"

rvC_5pEc
close tab

played by

Epic BugCatcher

Dr. Doug
He/Him
20 (40)
March 3
Viridian City, Kanto
It just works
AQUA Initiative
Dreaming
of our future
awards
2,879 posts
part of
TAG WITH @bugcatcherdoug
John Sullivan
POSTED ON Mar 25, 2024 0:12:56 GMT
John Sullivan Avatar

Monster Hunter

With

Dear lord, the force of will that it took for him not to preen like an Unfezant at the unrestrained praise.

"Hehehe, it's not nice to brag... but yeah, pretty much!" He said, grinning wide at Lucia.

Yeah, he was one of the strongest trainers in Hoenn, wasn't he? He was the goddamn Champion of the Hoennian Stars Tournament! He had literally been certified as awesome back then, and he was even stronger now!

"I did win first try." He mused, before winking. "Buuut it wasn't my first gym battle. It was just the first gym I ever entered. I was an spectator, then."

Time for some explanations.

"See, back home, it wasn't like in Hoenn." He said, raising a digit as he explained. "Ya couldn't just challenge any gym whenever. A lot of 'em? They had badge minimums. And the one I told ya of? That one required seven other badges, minimum."

Man, he sure was rambling a lot, he realized. Ah well, she was interested.

"Man, if I had had to fight that as my first gym, it would've been a nightmare." He said with a laugh.

Casually, he let a single, tiny healing scale pass through the ice pack and into Lucia's leg.

TL;DR:Doug is using his Tapu Lele avatar power, healing scales, to speed up Lucia's leg's recovery.
WHuk9HZ|
313+25 = 338

close tab

played by

Madda

she/her
December 25
Cascarrafa, Paldea
??????
Trainer
Civillian
0 height
0 height
awards
164 posts
part of
TAG WITH @lucia
Lucia Aldrete
POSTED ON Mar 25, 2024 7:01:23 GMT
Lucia Aldrete Avatar
Every breath that Doug spoke had only managed to entrap the child's whimsy more and more. She had forgotten all about her leg and that fall from the tree in an instant, focused entirely on the story from somebody who had seen far more than her.

There was word that a couple of the gym challenges across the world had different rules and stipulations. Some, like the one Doug had spoken about, had badge requirements to meet before even stepping foot inside of the door. It almost gave off the impression that it was a more "members only" type of gym.

"No way! That's so cool, Doug! You're amazing!"

Lucia proudly exclaimed. Her eyes widened in wonder at him as he worked his magic with his avatar powers, far too distracted to pay much attention to it on a first glance. Beaming up at him, she'd sputter out the next thought to cross her mind.

"C-Can you teach me how to be like you?! I really need to get better at training so I can finish this gym challenge. There's somebody I really need to do this for!"

3lJ|O0ZN
close tab

played by

Epic BugCatcher

Dr. Doug
He/Him
20 (40)
March 3
Viridian City, Kanto
It just works
AQUA Initiative
Dreaming
of our future
awards
2,879 posts
part of
TAG WITH @bugcatcherdoug
John Sullivan
POSTED ON Mar 26, 2024 19:31:49 GMT
John Sullivan Avatar

Monster Hunter

With

It was all he could do to not smile brightly.

Praise from grown men and women oft felt fake, or hollow, or both. A tool, or a formality.

Kids tended to be pretty forthcoming though, so if you were being praised by one, it could generally be trusted... which was what made Lucia's praise so gosh darn effective.

"Gosh... I dunno! It's been so long since I've properly mentored someone." He said, all smiles as he leaned his head onto his fist, gaze up in the sky.

It had been what, 4 years since his brief stint as 's mentor? He had , but that wasn't really mentoring— more of a crash course.

He was much busier now than he used to be, as well. The hospitals were never missing patients. But...

"Ah, what the heck. Sure, I'll teach ya a few things!"

He couldn't well say no, could he?

TL;DR:Doug is using his Tapu Lele avatar power, healing scales, to speed up Lucia's leg's recovery.
uWxH2uiQ
313+25 = 338