40 posts
REESE RHODES DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @reese
REESE RHODES
recognition [saya]
POSTED ON Mar 18, 2024 16:18:57 GMT
REESE RHODES Avatar
reese gazes at the posters for various upcoming contests and sighs. at one point, they'd have been excited to see all the opportunities to compete and meet new people. now looking at contest halls fills them with a deep sense of self-loathing. even if they could work up the nerve to get on that stage again for real... what would it matter? things would turn out exactly the same way. they're not meant to be a star. they're just not strong enough to withstand the scrutiny.

as he turns to go, his foot catches on something. or someone, really, as he rights himself and realizes there's somebody else here. "s-sorry," he apologizes. then he actually gets a look at them and pauses.

he squints. "do i know you...?" come on, reese, think...

close tab

played by

Madda

she/her
December 17
Viridian City
Uncertain
Unemployed
Civillian
5'6" height
5'6" height
i used to dream in the dark of palisades park.
awards
9 posts
part of
TAG WITH @saya
Yasumura Saya
recognition [saya]
POSTED ON Mar 19, 2024 2:39:33 GMT
Yasumura Saya Avatar
Saya had not wanted to take this route along her walk, but the recent side walk renovations had forced her hand. Ever since coming to Hoenn, her doctors had insisted that she try to take a more proactive approach to exercising, though it never felt worth doing.

Especially so HERE.

Posters and advertisements of various contests and more that had made her resentful of the people here. The many memories and knowledge of the circuit back in Unova would always come to face her here as she couldn't stand it. It was a mockery of the world that she could no longer participate in any longer. A forbidden fruit forever out of reach.

The egg she had been keeping an eye on sat in a pouch across her chest, surrounded by heated blankets and with both hands properly secured just in the unlikely event that it fell. But she didn't care about it. Once the owner was found, she could get back to her perfect, Pokemon free life. They were all just a hassle...

Saya continued to walk until one person who had been standing around almost collided with her. In an instant, her arms wrapped around the egg to protect it, as if she were falling and wanted to brace for the impact. But after that, she sighed and looked up at whoever had run into it with a question.

"Watch where you're going, genius! You could have damaged the egg!" Saya snapped at him. Normally, she would stomp off with a bunch of sarcastic remarks but slowly closed her eyes and did what her psychiatrist had taught her to control herself. She took a few deep breaths to control herself.

"I'm...sorry. I've just been on edge lately." she apologized and then shook her head. "I don't come here all that often, but I used to compete when I was a kid. Saya Yasumura."

close tab

played by

newt

he/they
july 7
verdanturf town
pansexual
cafe worker
trainer
goodbye, ms. flower thief.
awards
40 posts
REESE RHODES DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @reese
REESE RHODES
recognition [saya]
POSTED ON Mar 19, 2024 22:00:42 GMT
REESE RHODES Avatar
they stare for a moment. she seems... different from how they'd have thought her, but now that she's introduced herself they can see it rather plainly. their brain short-circuits, mouth hanging open stupidly as they try to figure out what to say. their tongue trips over itself, and all that comes out is gibberish. their face turns red. "i-- i was a huge fan as a kid!" they blurt out, finally figuring out how to speak again. "i mean, you're part of the reason i got into contests myself--!"

his face heats up even more. here he is trying to keep a low profile, and he's already blabbed his secret to her. reese shoves his hands into his pockets and steps back, looking down. "uh-- not that i've... done any lately."

close tab

played by

Madda

she/her
December 17
Viridian City
Uncertain
Unemployed
Civillian
5'6" height
5'6" height
awards
9 posts
part of
TAG WITH @saya
Yasumura Saya
recognition [saya]
POSTED ON Mar 20, 2024 3:07:58 GMT
Yasumura Saya Avatar
The news had left Saya dumbfounded. She hadn't expected a fan of hers to end up here, of all places! It had been a while since her last competition, about two decades or so, and still, people remembered her so freely. She stood silent for a moment to absorb the comment before a rare smile crossed her face.

"Thank you, it's nice to hear that again..." Saya replied, "I would have loved to see you perform."

The boy did look down about admitting he too had stepped out from the contest stage. It was a fairly common practice, to their credit. A world of bright lights, ascending heights and crushing dreams. Very few could stay in it for so long without a fallback or having to leave for many issues.

"I don't mean to dig into it, but why did you stop performing? You can guess why I did, but you seem like the type to love an audience."

close tab

played by

newt

he/they
july 7
verdanturf town
pansexual
cafe worker
trainer
awards
40 posts
REESE RHODES DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @reese
REESE RHODES
recognition [saya]
POSTED ON Mar 24, 2024 20:47:58 GMT
REESE RHODES Avatar
okay, so he's not being creepy. he's had his share of fans approach him, and most of them were normal, but he always gets nervous that he might be fanboying a little too hard when he's on the other side of the fence. being a contest star is-- was-- his dream, so of course he admires people who have proven themselves worthy of that title. especially someone so young when she did it!

there's a small smile on their face that quickly goes away when saya asks her question. "i, ah..." the usual excuse is ready. "just kinda needed a break from the spotlight." it's a lie, but an easy one. they can keep pretending they'll come back one day, but they know that day may very well never come.

he hesitates. "...i could show you a little bit of my partners' work," he says, pushing the offer past his lips before he can chicken out. "i still have them with me."

close tab

played by

Madda

she/her
December 17
Viridian City
Uncertain
Unemployed
Civillian
5'6" height
5'6" height
awards
9 posts
part of
TAG WITH @saya
Yasumura Saya
recognition [saya]
POSTED ON Mar 25, 2024 1:39:14 GMT
Yasumura Saya Avatar
Their smile faltered as Saya's own would go from its normal resting bitch face to a slightly more concerned resting bitch face. Reese's answer was understandable. Everybody needed a break from the fame, but she could see it clear as day in those eyes. The look she had known all too well. It was a way of safeguarding yourself from the ugly truth and keeping up appearances. It had only been so long since they had talked and Saya had already found a kindred spirit with another person here.

She wouldn't ask much of anything else. Everybody had their reasons.

"That's a shame, I bet you were something to see on stage." Reese did have some keepsakes left though, as her curiosity was growing more and more. She tapped the side of her cheek with her hand, resting on the edge of the egg holder on her chest. "I'd love to see them, Reese. Assuming you don't have anything better to do."

close tab

played by

newt

he/they
july 7
verdanturf town
pansexual
cafe worker
trainer
awards
40 posts
REESE RHODES DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @reese
REESE RHODES
recognition [saya]
POSTED ON Mar 29, 2024 16:48:26 GMT
REESE RHODES Avatar
like they'd have anything better to do than show one of their old idols their moves... there's a buzz of excitement under their skin, something familiar to them from the many times they've taken the stage. for once they don't think about drawing attention to themself and how many eyes will be on them as they head to the grass by the contest hall, where others are currently training for their next performance. once there, reese releases their lurantis, who looks at them quizzically.

he pats carnation on the head and then stands back. "we're just gonna do one maneuver," he explains to her. "how about the sunny day combo? you think you can still do it?"

the lurantis perks up. she hasn't been asked to do this in such a long time... she raises a claw dramatically as she uses sunny day, the light shining down upon her. from there, she twirls and twirls as a sea of flower petals start to scatter around her, twirling along with her, as if they're dancing. once she's gotten enough momentum, she launches herself directly upwards in the air with all her strength, still spinning... spinning more as she falls, until she's aiming herself at the ground. her arms glow and then release a blade of light, scattering the fallen petals, making them glow as well. her landing is a little awkward-- she hasn't done this in a while-- but she straightens herself up and then does a bow.

close tab

played by

Madda

she/her
December 17
Viridian City
Uncertain
Unemployed
Civillian
5'6" height
5'6" height
awards
9 posts
part of
TAG WITH @saya
Yasumura Saya
recognition [saya]
POSTED ON Mar 30, 2024 23:04:43 GMT
Yasumura Saya Avatar
Saya couldn't help but become interested in the performance that the Lurantis would perform. It was always such a beautiful Pokemon, one that she had found herself envious of back when she used to collect them. Reese had taken the two of them near the fields next to the hall, were a couple of people were already practicing. People of all ages and their pokemon happily training for their moment on stage.

Just seeing some of them had caused her to feel out of place.

Her eyes remained on Reese and his Lurantis, doing her best not to let her vulnerability show to the two people she had already met. The Lurantis began its spectacles with a shining display of movement which basked in the glory of its SUNNY DAY. The dance that Lurantis performed was smooth and flowing, with each step and turn deliberate and well timed. It was a little out of tune and place, but it was to be expected. It had likely been a while.

For a moment watching the performance, Saya could feel something in her icy heart. It felt nice watching somebody else perform. Just returning to that little display that she had so loved twenty something years ago. Her permanently stoic face had actually lightened up as the performance came to a close. Saya applauded with a small laugh, beaming at the two.

"Nothing short of amazing. You've obviously trained her well, even after all these years." Saya said, "I would show one of my own, but I don't tend to really get along with Pokemon ever since..."

It happened. That short, cold prickling of pain struck her as her words trailed off.

"Nggh..."

Her face twisted into a pained grimace while her legs began to shake and wobble. It didn't take long before she fell to the ground on her rear. Pain fired through every muscle in her legs. She cursed her endurance for not being able to power her through the hour.

Not here. Not like this in front of people.

close tab

played by

newt

he/they
july 7
verdanturf town
pansexual
cafe worker
trainer
awards
40 posts
REESE RHODES DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @reese
REESE RHODES
recognition [saya]
POSTED ON Apr 1, 2024 19:28:57 GMT
REESE RHODES Avatar
reese blushes at the praise. he's thankful that his lurantis isn't as out of practice as he'd feared, so neither of them ended up embarrassing themselves. the gratitude is short lived, turning to anxiety as saya's legs buckle underneath her. gasping, reese hurries over, his lurantis following at a distance. "are you alright?" he asks, kneeling down. the other performers are looking at the two of them, concern written on their faces.

he does the first thing that comes to mind, and sits down right next to saya, trying to make it look as natural as possible. this way, they're just two people chilling on the grass, rather than one person who's collapsed to the ground. reese waves cheerfully at the others around them, and they seem to breathe a sigh of relief and go back to their own training.

"can i help?" they ask anxiously. "or do you just need to rest a moment?"

close tab

played by

Madda

she/her
December 17
Viridian City
Uncertain
Unemployed
Civillian
5'6" height
5'6" height
awards
9 posts
part of
TAG WITH @saya
Yasumura Saya
recognition [saya]
POSTED ON Apr 2, 2024 7:53:09 GMT
Yasumura Saya Avatar
Pain hit her feet in a steady beat. Waves of nerves crying out from the tips of her toes to her upper thighs had made her breathing become labored. Saya winced in a pain, though her eyes fell onto the egg on her chest, making sure she hadn't damaged it. Once she was certain it was safe, she looked up at Reese with a look of shock.

Others were watching and looking on. She wanted to just die here, and not exist with everybody staring at her. How could a star like her who had grown up with all eyes on her be reduced to what she was now? Her eyes remained down on the ground to avoid the glare of others, though she would hear a thud of somebody next to her.

Reese sat down beside her and waved off some of their concern. She silently thanked whatever legendary above that she had met this former contest winner within the past hour or so. But it was a double edged sword. There was some humiliation mixed in with this relief but it was far better than the alternative.

"I'm fine. Great day to forget the wheelchair at home. I just need to rest for a bit."

She laid down on the lawn and frowned, letting out a frustrated groan while her hair laid on the green grass beneath her.

"Do you ever miss it?" she asked, "The stage, I mean. Not every day, but every so often, I wish I could go back to how it was. I miss the crowds, singing practice, even the long nights."

close tab

played by

newt

he/they
july 7
verdanturf town
pansexual
cafe worker
trainer
awards
40 posts
REESE RHODES DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @reese
REESE RHODES
recognition [saya]
POSTED ON Apr 9, 2024 18:05:34 GMT
REESE RHODES Avatar
carnation comes over to reese's side and sits down as well, kneeling delicately in the grass. he rubs the bug-like grass pokemon's head affectionately, and she leans into his shoulder. she doesn't really understand what's happening here, but she needs to rest herself after putting so much effort into her first attempt at an appeal in over a year.

they remain sitting, though they look at saya as she speaks. "of course i miss it," they say plainly. they wouldn't have started if they didn't love it. even when they failed, when they tripped up or screwed up, they still loved it back then. and they'd had friends to love it with, people they'd have done just about anything for. it was just too bad the feeling wasn't mutual. "but there's things i don't miss, too," reese sighs. "i love coming up with new combinations, and seeing everyone's smiling faces when i perform, but..." he taps his fingers on his knee, looking away now. "...not everyone was smiling."

was it his fault, for not noticing when the winds changed? maybe. maybe he should have been more careful, less vibrant, less himself. maybe then things wouldn't have turned out the way they did.

close tab

played by

Madda

she/her
December 17
Viridian City
Uncertain
Unemployed
Civillian
5'6" height
5'6" height
awards
9 posts
part of
TAG WITH @saya
Yasumura Saya
recognition [saya]
POSTED ON Apr 16, 2024 1:27:14 GMT
Yasumura Saya Avatar
They were in agreement at least. Saya leaned back and looked up to the sky as she kept her thoughts to herself for a moment. She had missed the clash of her identity on the stage versus what she was like now. The bright and cheery colors being muted to their current muddy shades. Her hands leaned back as the soft caress of the grass was there to greet her. Saya pursed her lips together in thought as she thought back to some of the simpler times. The places she'd visit like Sinnoh and even as far back as Unova! Her stoic demeanor remained solitary before she looked back to Reese.

"I never showed you one of my routines." Saya exhaled and slowly pushed herself to her feet and looked down at Reese. She was unsteady and lacked any sort of cohesion. But still, she extended her hand for Reese to take while adjusting her glasses with a soft nod. "I'll have to pretend you're my old Kirlia, but I still remember the old steps."

close tab

played by

newt

he/they
july 7
verdanturf town
pansexual
cafe worker
trainer
awards
40 posts
REESE RHODES DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @reese
REESE RHODES
recognition [saya]
POSTED ON Apr 26, 2024 18:54:25 GMT
REESE RHODES Avatar
reese notices her shifting and gets to his feet as well, about to offer her a hand up when he sees she handles it well enough on her own. he blinks, stunned, still a little star-struck. if you'd told him a few months ago he'd get an opportunity like this, to meet and work with one of the people who inspired him to pursue a career as a coordinator, he'd have laughed and told you to stop teasing him. but he's here, now, so he might as well take the chance and hope he doesn't screw this up.

hesitantly, they take the offered hand. "are you sure?" they ask, ignoring the beating of their heart in their chest. "you shouldn't push yourself too hard..." their lurantis stands by, not used to being in the audience. she actually seems a little excited, though it might just be that she's resonating with reese's own feelings.

close tab

played by

Madda

she/her
December 17
Viridian City
Uncertain
Unemployed
Civillian
5'6" height
5'6" height
awards
9 posts
part of
TAG WITH @saya
Yasumura Saya
recognition [saya]
POSTED ON Apr 27, 2024 18:59:59 GMT
Yasumura Saya Avatar
His hand fell in hers as Saya's fingers interlocked with Reese's. A soft inhale proved that perhaps she may not have been in the best shape to be attempting any direct movement, but her eyes locked onto Reese.

”I know I shouldn't.” It was the same, pre-recorded response that she gave any time somebody showed concern over her disability. Though she didn't truly find it worth anything, personally. ”But I will.”

In a slow movement, Saya brought Reese towards her until they were in a sort of waltz. Her movement was slow and deliberate to try and guide him through the steps that he couldn't possibly know beforehand. Although the movements were still known to her, even after nearly 2 decades, Saya had a but of rust to go along with them.

”Then she would come to rest here.” Saya stood en pointé carefully allowing Reese to walk out until their hands just barely grazed with one another. Her legs felt every painful prick slice into her bone yet she continued. ”Then use Dazzling Gleam to create such beautiful lights.”

Their dance continued on,Gaining some attention as trainers and more craned their heads over to watch the pair. Saya couldn't tell but she wore a soft smile on her face as they continued.

Her legs though, told a much different story.

WRITE REPLY

QUICK REPLY

it's a long life full of long nights