She/Her
January 5
Dewford
Lesbian
Ranger
Elite Ranger (ooc)
5'4 height
5'4 height
i used to dream in the dark of palisades park.
awards
880 posts
robin coello DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @robin
robin coello
a lesson learned in time
POSTED ON Apr 16, 2024 17:31:04 GMT
robin coello Avatar
[attr="class","samcam"]

Gyms left a bitter taste in her mouth after her last loss against Josh. His disqualification burned like a scarlet letter against her skin. Losing to Gwyar had at least taught her something. All she had learned in the quick badge battle was that Josh thought her shadow Toxtricity thirsted for war and blood. He was a good pokemon, loyal despite the status that befell him as a Toxel. He was chaotic, but he wasn't a bad guy.

When she saw a lesson popping up while she was in the area, she decided she had nothing to lose. She filtered into the gym for a lesson in self-defense with a sour mood, but she hoped she would glean some wisdom. Maybe she could get her mojo back and get ready to challenge him again... but she still needed to play with some strategies. She had been hoping to bring Toxtricity against Gwyar, but if he reacted the same way, she wouldn't know how to take it. She couldn't abandon Toxtricity. He was a good pokemon.

[newclass=.samcam] [/newclass][newclass=.samcam b] color: #d49736; font-size: 12px; letter-spacing: .5px; [/newclass][newclass=.samcam i] color: #d49736; font-size: 12px; letter-spacing: .5px; [/newclass][newclass=.samcam u] text-decoration: none;border-bottom: dashed 1px #d49736; font-size: 12px; letter-spacing: .5px; [/newclass][newclass=.samcam a] text-transform:uppercase!important;font: 800 15px Poppins!important; [/newclass]
close tab

played by

Epic BugCatcher

He, him, his
March 31
Freezington, Galar
Irrelevant.
Officer / Gym Leader / INTERPOL
Lieutenant Officer
Feels like
I've known you for a lifetime.
119 kg (262 lbs) / 196 cm (6' 5") height
Was doing swords and shields before it was cool.
awards
1,485 posts
Gwyar Wledig DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @gwyar
Gwyar Wledig
a lesson learned in time
POSTED ON Apr 20, 2024 19:08:58 GMT
Gwyar Wledig Avatar

A lesson learned in time

With

It was Tuesday. Which meant it was time for a little community strengthening.

Gwyar stood at the wide open gates of the Mossdeep Community Stadium, smiling brightly at each and every arrival. Each was greeted by name, even as the number of attendants dipped past the double digits and threatened to go into triple digits.

As he finished chatting with an old married couple, Gwyar raised his gaze and smiled, finding another familiar face.

"Ah, Ms. Coello." He said, holding out his hand. "So good to see you again. Have you come to join us?"

TL;DR:

close tab

played by

Ghostfinch

She/Her
January 5
Dewford
Lesbian
Ranger
Elite Ranger (ooc)
5'4 height
5'4 height
awards
880 posts
robin coello DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @robin
robin coello
a lesson learned in time
POSTED ON Apr 22, 2024 17:44:19 GMT
robin coello Avatar
[attr="class","samcam"]

Robin perked up at his greeting. Immediately, she felt welcomed. "Yes! I see I'm in good company for a lesson." She accepted the handshake, glad to see his lessons reached such a large crowd. He clearly knew what he was doing, or at least he knew how to string along dozens of people and keep 'em coming. He didn't strike her as much of an entertainer, though, so she suspected his advice was just that good. Given what he'd said after their battle, it was easy to believe.

"What are we learning today?"

[newclass=.samcam] [/newclass][newclass=.samcam b] color: #d49736; font-size: 12px; letter-spacing: .5px; [/newclass][newclass=.samcam i] color: #d49736; font-size: 12px; letter-spacing: .5px; [/newclass][newclass=.samcam u] text-decoration: none;border-bottom: dashed 1px #d49736; font-size: 12px; letter-spacing: .5px; [/newclass][newclass=.samcam a] text-transform:uppercase!important;font: 800 15px Poppins!important; [/newclass]
close tab

played by

Epic BugCatcher

He, him, his
March 31
Freezington, Galar
Irrelevant.
Lieutenant Officer
Feels like
awards
1,485 posts
Gwyar Wledig DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @gwyar
Gwyar Wledig
a lesson learned in time
POSTED ON May 4, 2024 19:52:38 GMT
Gwyar Wledig Avatar

A lesson learned in time

With

"Same as ever." Gwyar said simply as he smiled down at her, turning his gaze back to the stadium's insides. "Pokemon self-defense."

Not quite pro-battling— but the lessons translated well. Having a solid grasp on the basics never hurt anyone.

"More specifically though, today we'll be focusing on functional & practical movesets." He said simply, before bringing his gaze back to her.

"So! Have you been well, young miss?" He asked, lightly tilting his head.

It had been a bit since they had last fought— he was glad she was there, but was curious as to why she had come then, if not before.

TL;DR:
close tab

played by

Ghostfinch

She/Her
January 5
Dewford
Lesbian
Ranger
Elite Ranger (ooc)
5'4 height
5'4 height
awards
880 posts
robin coello DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @robin
robin coello
a lesson learned in time
POSTED ON May 6, 2024 15:16:55 GMT
robin coello Avatar
[attr="class","samcam"]

Functional and practical movesets sounded good. Her team, generally, was too heavy on attack moves. She was eager to see what he had to teach. Her face fell at his question. She wasn't a very good liar, and her heart was still bleeding over everything that had happened lately. "I beat the Dewford gym, but I challenged Mauville and got disqualified. Everyone's been teaching me to do everything I can to win! And when I do it, I get punished? Am I supposed to survive every battle or not?" Her voice rose with emotion as she continued until the final question, where she corrected herself to a whisper.

She rubbed the back of her head. "Sorry. It's been a hard week, actually. I feel like I'm listening, but I can't do anything right." She wanted to rage about it further, really, but that anger only took her so far before she felt hollow. "Um, sorry. I do really want to learn. Better movesets make for better strategy."

close tab

played by

Epic BugCatcher

He, him, his
March 31
Freezington, Galar
Irrelevant.
Lieutenant Officer
Feels like
awards
1,485 posts
Gwyar Wledig DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @gwyar
Gwyar Wledig
a lesson learned in time
POSTED ON May 17, 2024 22:52:39 GMT
Gwyar Wledig Avatar

A lesson learned in time

With

The young lady opened up— and it occurred rather quickly, her temper flaring briefly whilst he cocked his head and stared, curious.

Mauville... 's gym?

He hummed thoughtfully, before dismissing the line of thought. He reached out, clapping her shoulder firmly.

"All gyms have their own rules, and their own ways of doing things." He said simply. "Gym leader Devlin should hopefully learn from this experience and better the vetting processes of his gym. As for you."

He smiled sardonically.

"It's a tough pill to swallow, but it's lesson we all need to learn one day— read the fine print."

It went both ways— Gym Leader Devlin's vetting process shouldn't have allowed her challenge to continue with a prohibited pokemon— but she should've read the rules carefully from the start, too.

His smile turned more genuine next, nodding down at her.

"Still— You triumphed at Dewford's gym." He reminded her. " is a strong trainer, more than worthy of both his station as Elite 4, and his Champion title. So be proud. You certainly had to battle right to win there."

TL;DR:

close tab

played by

Ghostfinch

She/Her
January 5
Dewford
Lesbian
Ranger
Elite Ranger (ooc)
5'4 height
5'4 height
awards
880 posts
robin coello DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @robin
robin coello
a lesson learned in time
POSTED ON May 17, 2024 22:58:37 GMT
robin coello Avatar
[attr="class","samcam"]

She felt a little better with his words. "He totally kicked my butt," she admitted. "But I did my best to outsmart him. He cheats a lot!" He brought SO many pokemon. She debated bringing extra to her following gym challenges, but she chose to resist because she had hoped the cheating was Navy's quirk alone.

Sinistea had held on more than she thought possible. It had felt good to test the limits of her team. Sinistea had shaped up to a perfect ace, so Robin was glad that that was the pokemon that'd gotten into all of Robin's purchased crystals, unlocking the stellar type. "So, what should I keep in mind to guarantee a functional moveset?" She wanted his wisdom in order to avoid losing again. It had felt terrible, but losing to Josh had felt way worse than losing to Gwyar. What Josh'd said about Toxtricity still rang in her ears.

"I have a lot of people to impress, and, well, I did sorta tell Greyson I was gonna body him someday. So. Please teach me how to do that." Her mouth tended to write checks she couldn't cash. It was important to back up all her talk with evidence of growth.

close tab

played by

Epic BugCatcher

He, him, his
March 31
Freezington, Galar
Irrelevant.
Lieutenant Officer
Feels like
awards
1,485 posts
Gwyar Wledig DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @gwyar
Gwyar Wledig
a lesson learned in time
POSTED ON May 31, 2024 17:14:10 GMT
Gwyar Wledig Avatar

A lesson learned in time

With

Gwyar snickered, uncharacteristically.

"I believe our dear sheriff would protest the notion." He mused, imagining as he said 'but that's the point!'. The blonde gave the young woman a mischievous smile. "But yes, he does."

At her question and mentioning of , Gwyar lightly cocked his head, shaking his head with a smile.

"Defeating Elite 4 Connors..." He said, gesturing for her to follow. "You've certainly cut out your work for yourself."

Targeting any one specific E4 was missing the forest for the trees, but it wasn't bad to have a lofty goal.

"First off—" The gym leader intoned as they reached the center of the stadium, turning to face the people.

Many folk were sitting around the center in groups, surrounding a platform in an uneven, growing circle. Gym trainers and the occasional off duty officer were going around, handing out little photocopied manuals made of recycled newspaper parchment.

The original had clearly been written by hand— a rather deft hand at that.

"Let's begin with the most important segment of any discipline— the fundamentals."

TL;DR:
close tab

played by

Ghostfinch

She/Her
January 5
Dewford
Lesbian
Ranger
Elite Ranger (ooc)
5'4 height
5'4 height
awards
880 posts
robin coello DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @robin
robin coello
a lesson learned in time
POSTED ON May 31, 2024 21:22:51 GMT
robin coello Avatar
[attr="class","samcam"]

Robin expected the reaction. Greyson was a lofty target, but she was deadset on making him eat his words. She didn't necessarily want to be a high end trainer or even a champion, but she had to defeat him at one point or another. She figured it wouldn't be long before he got all OLD and tired.

She refocused as Gwyar spoke to the arena. She held the pamphlet in her hand like a golden ticket as she held onto his beginning words. She could use help anywhere in combat; while fundamentals weren't exciting, she had clearly missed something if she could only cinch one badge out of three gym attempts. "Give me the secret to success," she muttered.

close tab

played by

Epic BugCatcher

He, him, his
March 31
Freezington, Galar
Irrelevant.
Lieutenant Officer
Feels like
awards
1,485 posts
Gwyar Wledig DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @gwyar
Gwyar Wledig
a lesson learned in time
POSTED ON Jun 8, 2024 1:12:22 GMT
Gwyar Wledig Avatar

A lesson learned in time

With

The fundamentals of move set building were universal rules that started not with particular strategies, be they overarching offensives or types of weather control, but with purpose.

It started with the question.

"What is the pokemon's purpose?"

A pokemon's moveset was built from questions upon questions, what ifs and perhaps that served as building blocks towards one's goals.

Even if of the same species, a family pet and guardian was not equipped with the same tools as a competitive Battler.

Gwyar kept it in simple language on the pages, endeavored to build upon the text with his words as he looked over the many folk present, his eyes finding Robin's occasionally and smiling.

People were allowed to question. To posit their own theories based on what they were hearing. To show off their own knowledge, in the case of some of the more experienced trainers present.

TL;DR:
close tab

played by

Ghostfinch

She/Her
January 5
Dewford
Lesbian
Ranger
Elite Ranger (ooc)
5'4 height
5'4 height
awards
880 posts
robin coello DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @robin
robin coello
a lesson learned in time
POSTED ON Jun 14, 2024 23:44:03 GMT
robin coello Avatar
[attr="class","samcam"]

"Huh?"

She hated it in school when teachers asked a million questions before offering anything. She hoped he wouldn't take this route. Purpose sounded like philosophy. Pokemon just, were. Arceus made them to fill the world. To enjoy it. "The only pokemon with purpose are the gods," she uttered in confusion. The ones overseeing space, time, dreams. Everything else was just there like people were. Snorlax, Sinistea, Marshadow were all just alive. They held no purpose. But they helped her because of their bond. She was also born with no purpose, but chose one for herself.

close tab

played by

Epic BugCatcher

He, him, his
March 31
Freezington, Galar
Irrelevant.
Lieutenant Officer
Feels like
awards
1,485 posts
Gwyar Wledig DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @gwyar
Gwyar Wledig
a lesson learned in time
POSTED ON Jun 15, 2024 18:09:34 GMT
Gwyar Wledig Avatar

A lesson learned in time

With

Gwyar turned his gaze to the first person to speak— Robin, of course.

He smiled gently.

"In a cosmological sense, perhaps. Yes— but I was not being philosophical there." He said, before reaching for his belt.

A Alolan Sandslash came out of the poke ball, it's icy spikes shimmering beneath the flood lights as stood there and looked about at the crowd.

"Let us take a look at my dear Ridelle, for example." He said, gesturing with his hand at the pokemon. It fixed its posture, arms gathering before its belly as it bowed politely before the crowd. "As Ms. Coello said, there's no true concrete purpose she must adhere to— the same is true for any of us, really."

He turned about as he spoke, making sure he was looking at all surrounding the podium.

"But for which purpose did I choose to specifically train her?" He asked, before answering it himself.

"The answer, of course, is Gym Battling. I trained her be a powerful obstacle to challengers, and to introduce them to the basics of weather control strategies."

He smiled at her, crouching besides her and gently petting at the crook of her neck.

"Thus, her ability, moveset and the many strategies for both single and double battles I have revolving around her were built around that simple concept."

He rose back to his full height, smiling at the group.

"The answer to the question can vary, as well as come with numerous different factors and circumstances." He said. "One does not train their pokemon in a vacuum, specially at the higher levels of pokemon battling, be it pro or self-defense."

It was important for a pokemon's moveset to have synergy with itself— but it was just as important for it to have synergy with other pokemon in the team, for one.

TL;DR:

close tab

played by

Ghostfinch

She/Her
January 5
Dewford
Lesbian
Ranger
Elite Ranger (ooc)
5'4 height
5'4 height
awards
880 posts
robin coello DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @robin
robin coello
a lesson learned in time
POSTED ON Jun 16, 2024 1:51:05 GMT
robin coello Avatar
[attr="class","samcam"]

Oh, ok. That was more doable.

But battling was a broad purpose. All of her pokemon were used for battles, except Gengar, and that was mostly because he always did whatever he wanted, and he usually wanted chaos.

"So we're better off specializing our pokemon?" She hadn't organized her team by trap moves or weather moves or status moves. There were primarily attack moves on all of her pokemon, though some had variety like her ace, Sinistea. Ally switch had come in handy far more than any other move the ghost knew.

close tab

played by

Epic BugCatcher

He, him, his
March 31
Freezington, Galar
Irrelevant.
Lieutenant Officer
Feels like
awards
1,485 posts
Gwyar Wledig DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @gwyar
Gwyar Wledig
a lesson learned in time
POSTED ON Jun 16, 2024 17:17:01 GMT
Gwyar Wledig Avatar

A lesson learned in time

With

"If their purpose requires them to be." He said simply, nodding at her.

His hand slid over Ridelle's icy spikes.

"The purpose you choose for your pokemon has as much to do with your needs as it does with their capabilities." He said simply, turning his gaze back to Robin briefly, smiling.

"You wouldn't choose a Snorlax as a racing pokemon, would you?" He said, before turning about to look at the rest of the people present. "Nor would you try to make them into a speedy attacker."

Pokemon had their obvious strengths and weaknesses. The occasional exception came from within a species, but by and large, a trainer needed to know what their pokemon's natural strengths were, and work with them.

They also needed to know their weaknesses, and plan for them— be it with other pokemon intended to cover for them, or by reaching into their movesets to prepare for such eventualities.

TL;DR:

close tab

played by

Ghostfinch

She/Her
January 5
Dewford
Lesbian
Ranger
Elite Ranger (ooc)
5'4 height
5'4 height
awards
880 posts
robin coello DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @robin
robin coello
a lesson learned in time
POSTED ON Jun 17, 2024 1:31:54 GMT
robin coello Avatar
[attr="class","samcam"]

The epiphany hits with a sharp intake of breath. She had not considered her pokemon as specialized operators or as pokemon with specific goals other than to win. Damn. Gwyar always made it sound so easy.

But taking this advice to heart might be what it takes to beat him in his gym. 1v1s were the scariest kinds of battles as she couldn't cover a pokemon's weakness with another, but she would have to comb through her team to find one with the best defenses.

So she had only one more question on the topic. "How do you know you've assigned the right purpose?"

img
The Shula Region
Hogwarts AU
RPG Unlimited
MR
The Enroi Region
N:FB
Vyrehaven
Celestial Guardians, AU Sailor Moon RP
EO GENESIS
Code and Crown: An advanced literate warriors cats RP, set in medieval times
Swords Clashing