Ghostfinch

she/her
june 8
pansexual
scientist
grunt
5'11 height
5'11 height
i used to dream in the dark of palisades park.
awards
793 posts
ameena abadi DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @ameena
ameena abadi
scarlet ibis [m]
POSTED ON Sept 3, 2024 17:40:30 GMT
ameena abadi Avatar
[nospaces]
[attr="class","ameena"]
[attr="class","body"]

Sootopolis left a watery grave in its wake, now a ghost of what it once was. She had walked out uninjured after the small burns she'd taken were healed by Gardevoir. Many were not as lucky. More still were houseless but confined to a battered, barren warzone. Constant reminders of the battle taken there that those civilians had been helpless against; after all, they were not just durants to a god, but casualties to a war they had never consented to be in. [break][break]

If you did not fight the war, you were the spoils. Or the spoiled. [break][break]

The hospital was overflowing, even though Dewford was no small hop and skip from Sootopolis. People had been flown out of the war zone en masse. She knew, even if Gwendolyn had been sent to a closer triage, she would have ended up here for longer rest and recovery. It was easy to get what she wanted from the secretary, and easier still to walk through the hallway filled with the symphony of beeping machines and haggard breath. Who knew how many dozens were left with pneumonia from the drowning and the storm? [break][break]

CONWAY, the paper slot read within the plastic sign. She prepared herself for the sight and stepped in; despite her expectations and despite her war experience in Galar, she found her breath caught in her throat. Gwendolyn looked so small, so limp. The monologue she'd prepared fell silent on her tongue.

TAGS [break]

NOTESpost first wave[break][break]

[attr="class","credit"]

[newclass=".ameena"]--accent:#EF59D8;font:13px Roboto;[/newclass]

[newclass=".ameena b"]color:var(--accent);[/newclass]

[newclass=".ameena i"]color:var(--accent);[/newclass]

[newclass=".ameena u"]text-underline-offset:3px;text-decoration-color:var(--accent);[/newclass]

[newclass=".ameena a"]font:13px Roboto;color:var(--accent);[/newclass]

[newclass=".ameena h1"]font:16px Roboto;color:var(--accent);font-weight:bold;[/newclass]

[newclass=".ameena h2"]font:14px Roboto;color:var(--accent);font-weight:bold;[/newclass]

[newclass=".ameena .body"]background-image:url("https://image.ibb.co/cpf8Wc/flower_patt.png");background-position:bottom;background-repeat:no-repeat;text-align:justify;[/newclass]

[newclass=".ameena .pkmn img"]margin:-10px -7px 0px -7px;[/newclass]

[newclass=".ameena .credit"]font-size:13px;[/newclass][googlefont="Roboto Mono"]

close tab

played by

Madda

Gwen, "Gwennie"
She/Her
May 29
Twinleaf Town
Closeted Lesbian
Ranger-In-Training
Cadet
5'6" height
5'6" height
awards
287 posts
part of
TAG WITH @gwendolyn
Gwendolyn Conway
scarlet ibis [m]
POSTED ON Sept 3, 2024 20:13:55 GMT
Gwendolyn Conway Avatar
[attr="class","samcam"]

When Ameena walked in, a Garchomp would be coiled around the frame of the bed, his dorsal fin up and eyes honed in on her with a sudden growl. It took a while for him to recognize the CEO, and his threats had quieted down. Gwendolyn's room was silent, with the sole occupant resting in the hospital bed. She was asleep on her side, often fidgeting or shuffling around as if disturbed.

The IV drip and equipment beside the bed were alight with vitals, signatures and more. The younger girl's head was wrapped in bandages alongside numerous other places where medical wrappings were present: both legs were practically mummified, her left arm had blips every now and again, but she was alive.

If Ameena were to read the clipboard by the front of her bed, it would have been a fairly grizzly sight. Gwen had been retrieved and shuttled to Dewford for being in critical condition following an explosion alongside nearly drowning to death. Miraculously, she had pulled through enough to be moved out of the ICU and into one of the normal beds, though the most significant injury made itself known as Gwen had awoken from her slumber and rolled onto her back again.

Her right arm, up to above the elbow, was absent, with the end being covered in gauze. The left fared better, only possessing some cuts and bruises.

Gwen's eyes fluttered open as a Ameena sized blob made itself known to her. Her eyes were red and the reflection of the light showed spots where her cheeks had been wet. "Meenuh..." she groaned out.

The once lively ranger's voice was soft, almost whisper-like. She grunted and slowly tried to push herself up, making it up about half way as her entire body quaked. Her balance gave way as Gwen hit the bed again, thoroughly exhausted. "What day?..." She asked weakly, laying her head back down onto the pillow behind her.

[newclass=.samcam] [/newclass][newclass=.samcam b] color: #d49736; font-size: 12px; letter-spacing: .5px; [/newclass][newclass=.samcam i] color: #d49736; font-size: 12px; letter-spacing: .5px; [/newclass][newclass=.samcam u] text-decoration: none;border-bottom: dashed 1px #d49736; font-size: 12px; letter-spacing: .5px; [/newclass][newclass=.samcam a] text-transform:uppercase!important;font: 800 15px Poppins!important; [/newclass]
close tab

played by

Ghostfinch

she/her
june 8
pansexual
scientist
grunt
5'11 height
5'11 height
awards
793 posts
ameena abadi DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @ameena
ameena abadi
scarlet ibis [m]
POSTED ON Sept 3, 2024 20:25:58 GMT
ameena abadi Avatar
[nospaces]
[attr="class","ameena"]
[attr="class","body"]

As Gishath settled, she stepped closer. The reality of Gwen's state set in...[break][break]

She hadn't seen an amputation in years. Science had progressed far, so it was largely an operation left to soldiers who had taken too long to make it off the battlefield. That, and those that had succumbed to explosives. [break][break]

Gwen should've been neither. [break][break]

"Gwendolyn," she said softly, coming close enough to grab her hand and squeeze. "Do not worry about anything." She feared sharing the day would stress out the girl further, remind her of how long she'd been down. "I came when my text was left unanswered. I assumed the worst." Mostly the truth, actually. She had come to Dewford knowing it was the most likely place for her, either in a hospital or at home if she hadn't been in Sootopolis at all. [break][break]

Ameena didn't want this fate for the girl. Stupidly, she wondered if she should have been more aggressive in trying to get Gwen under her wing. As her mentee, Gwen would've never been left to die out there. Anger sat at the pit of her stomach like a hot stone. She should've asked how the girl was doing (despite the obvious answer) or what had happened (despite the obvious answer), but all the small talk and sweet nothings and platitudes were a waste of breath when what she really wanted to know uncoiled in her chest. Her eyes were ablaze as she asked - no, demanded - [break][break]

"Who did this to you?"

TAGS [break]

[attr="class","credit"]

[newclass=".ameena u"]text-underline-offset:3px;text-decoration-color:var(--accent);[/newclass]

[newclass=".ameena h1"]font:16px Roboto;color:var(--accent);font-weight:bold;[/newclass]

[newclass=".ameena h2"]font:14px Roboto;color:var(--accent);font-weight:bold;[/newclass]

[newclass=".ameena .body"]background-image:url("https://image.ibb.co/cpf8Wc/flower_patt.png");background-position:bottom;background-repeat:no-repeat;text-align:justify;[/newclass]

[newclass=".ameena .credit"]font-size:13px;[/newclass][googlefont="Roboto Mono"]

close tab

played by

Madda

Gwen, "Gwennie"
She/Her
May 29
Twinleaf Town
Closeted Lesbian
Ranger-In-Training
Cadet
5'6" height
5'6" height
awards
287 posts
part of
TAG WITH @gwendolyn
Gwendolyn Conway
scarlet ibis [m]
POSTED ON Sept 3, 2024 21:29:23 GMT
Gwendolyn Conway Avatar
[attr="class","samcam"]

She felt a warmer hand in hers, squeezing it return as Ameena would speak. Her throat was irritated, scratching along with every drawn breath while even in her dormant state, Gwen could make out the other woman's worry. She didn't blame her, if the roles were reversed, she would have done the same exact thing Ameena had done. "Sorry to-" she tried to apologize, but was cut out as she let out a single phlegm coated cough. "-worry you."

She extended her right arm to grasp the plastic bowl of juice left for her by the hospital staff out of instinct. It was ony when she remembered about her lack of a limb that she winced and reached for it with her non-dominant arm. After a long sip, downing every last droplet of berry juice contained inside, Gwen would feel the taste of mucus and blood lessen.

The burning question that Ameena wanted an answer for: who did this to her? Gwen moved herself to sit up partially as she was beginning to feel more awake now that she had some time to get a drink and have somebody to talk to. It was pretty lonely here, especially so if the one person she wanted to see still hadn't come.

"I did." she answered weakly. "I was helping...somebody get civillians to higher ground when Kyogre pushed through. My Xurkitree got caught in the wreckage and was going to electrocute the people in the water. So I...jumped over the cliff to get call him back in his ball. So the people wouldn't die because of me."

A pang of silence was shared between the two, while the ginger looked over at their interlocked hands. Her own pale skin clashed against the woman's tanned brown, as her thumb came to rest on top of Ameena's palm. There was some hesitation between the next few words, though Gwen's expression soured into a sullen expression. "I don't think I can help you anymore, Ms. Abadi...They're saying that it's going to be a long road to recovery. A-And I might not be able to return to the rangers if my condition gets diagnosed too severely." she said dejectedly, turning her face away from Ameena so she wouldn't be able to see the tears welling in her eyes. "Ah-I don't want to be like I was before coming here!"

She pushed herself up again, the heart rate monitor by her picking up as she was panting try to sit up and clutch at the other woman. Tears spilled down her cheeks, as her stressed state was beginning to worsen. "I can't do anything anymore! No more field work, no throwing pokeballs or climbing rocks. I can't even use my phone anymore! I'm useless to you and everybody else..." Gwen stopped to catch her breath, her vision smear a bit from the exertion on her body. The heart rate monitor was picking up to concerning levels, but nothing serious. "All because of this...fucking arm."

[ BINGO: PAST ]

[newclass=.samcam] [/newclass][newclass=.samcam b] color: #d49736; font-size: 12px; letter-spacing: .5px; [/newclass][newclass=.samcam i] color: #d49736; font-size: 12px; letter-spacing: .5px; [/newclass][newclass=.samcam u] text-decoration: none;border-bottom: dashed 1px #d49736; font-size: 12px; letter-spacing: .5px; [/newclass][newclass=.samcam a] text-transform:uppercase!important;font: 800 15px Poppins!important; [/newclass]
close tab

played by

Ghostfinch

she/her
june 8
pansexual
scientist
grunt
5'11 height
5'11 height
awards
793 posts
ameena abadi DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @ameena
ameena abadi
scarlet ibis [m]
POSTED ON Sept 3, 2024 22:06:18 GMT
ameena abadi Avatar
[nospaces]
[attr="class","ameena"]
[attr="class","body"]

The same trait she abused to get what she wanted from the League, that empathy, had caused Gwen all this pain. Ameena cursed herself for not pulling Gwen into the fold earlier. She could have taught the Ranger to let those useless feelings go. Now, Gwen was hurt and blaming herself. [break][break]

That fear inside Gwen that had reared its head months ago was still there, alive and well. Gwen didn't see all the challenges she had faced this year and how she'd overcome them, all the adventures she'd been on, all the things she'd learned, and all the difference she had made in the world. When those things were habitual and day-to-day, they were easy to miss. Not knowing her worth would've made her more malleable, more manipulatable, but it wasn't enough. Gwen was not some easy prey. She had promise. Genuine promise. She was an unpolished gem.[break][break]

"You can never be what you were before." [break][break]

She did not parse her words. It was true, in all senses. Gwen could not go back. No one could. The reality of that had forced her to spend her life studying dreams to enter an alternate reality as the past was simply impossible to change. [break][break]

She sighed. She could tolerate long recovery - though she doubted it would be, with how ferocious Gwen was - and she could tolerate the adjustments and support Gwen would need from here on out to be successful, but she could not cope with the girl's low self-esteem when she was so valuable to Ameena. But there was one way to nip that in the bud. [break][break]

"Gwendolyn. Do I strike you as a fool?"

TAGS [break]

[attr="class","credit"]

close tab

played by

Madda

Gwen, "Gwennie"
She/Her
May 29
Twinleaf Town
Closeted Lesbian
Ranger-In-Training
Cadet
5'6" height
5'6" height
awards
287 posts
part of
TAG WITH @gwendolyn
Gwendolyn Conway
scarlet ibis [m]
POSTED ON Sept 3, 2024 22:52:28 GMT
Gwendolyn Conway Avatar
[attr="class","samcam"]

She was desperate, clinging onto Ameena for answers she didn't have, support she couldn't offer, and some kind of way to let her know that her life would continue on despite everything. Gwen continued to silently weep, letting out pained cries and more. Her arms fell around Ameena, squeezing her tight while busying her face into the other woman. With one a single arm, the stump would only dig into the older woman's side.

A reminder of her failure.

But Ameena's question had made Gwen take pause. She looked up from her side to wiped the tears out of her eyes at her question. "N-No. You're one of the smartest people I know. I-It's just..." Gwen let out a soft whine, squeezing her again. "I don't know, I don't know what I'll do if they kick me out of the Rangers. I don't know if my other job will want me back either." Her mind went to and whether or not the woman would truly want to see her again.

Yet a voice in the back of her head ate away at her. The feeling that she didn't truly want to see Gwen again. And she couldn't blame her.

Gishath looked up from his position around her bed, his tail brushing against her leg as the dragon-type kept his eyes honed in on Ameena. Golden, intimidating eyes that let her know that he was watching.

"I trust you, with every ounce of my being."

close tab

played by

Ghostfinch

she/her
june 8
pansexual
scientist
grunt
5'11 height
5'11 height
awards
793 posts
ameena abadi DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @ameena
ameena abadi
scarlet ibis [m]
POSTED ON Sept 3, 2024 22:59:17 GMT
ameena abadi Avatar
[nospaces]
[attr="class","ameena"]
[attr="class","body"]

Good.[break][break]

"So trust me when I tell you: I do not waste my time on worthless projects. If I hate what I order at a restaurant, I do not eat it. If I hate the book I am reading, I do not finish it. If I hate the pokemon in the safari, I do not catch it. Simple as that: I value myself and my time too highly to waste any degree of effort on anything I assess to be beneath me."[break][break]

She looked meaningfully at Gwen. "You. Are. Not. Worthless." It goes without saying: if you were, I wouldn't be here. She shrugged her shoulders. "I do not care if the others want you. I want you. I want you in my labs, at my company, by my side; any way I can have you, I want you with me. You are important to me, Gwendolyn. You are more capable than you know, but I know, and I do not intend to let your mind go to waste."[break][break]

She grabbed the girl's hand again, rubbing at the back of it to return Gwen's previous gesture. "I will be paying for your medical care. And I will find a prosthetic manufacturer for your arm. Only the best. Your days of feeling like a burden must end, Gwendolyn. You are a prize to me." [break][break]

Come hell or high water, she was determined to make the most of this setback to bring Gwen into her inner circle.

TAGS [break]

[attr="class","credit"]

close tab

played by

Madda

Gwen, "Gwennie"
She/Her
May 29
Twinleaf Town
Closeted Lesbian
Ranger-In-Training
Cadet
5'6" height
5'6" height
awards
287 posts
part of
TAG WITH @gwendolyn
Gwendolyn Conway
scarlet ibis [m]
POSTED ON Sept 4, 2024 2:24:12 GMT
Gwendolyn Conway Avatar
[attr="class","samcam"]

Gwen listened, as much as her wounded pride would allow her to. The young ranger sniffled and allowed Ameena to speak to her, well impressed by how the older woman conducted herself, alongside the declaration that she wasn't going to be thrown into the garbage can as long as she was around. Gwen's cheeks flushed at some of the wordage used in her rant about wanting her by Ameena's side, but the message was clear. She sat, stunned by the promise made to her.

"M-Ms. Abadi..." she said, feeling the hand inside of her own squeeze at Ameena's promise to pay for everything. Her ranger insurance had paid for most of the operation and medical bills, but the out of pocket cost was still going to be costly. So the promise of somebody paying for all of it was something that made her weep harder. Even offering to pay for a top of the line prosthetic for her. "Thank you...Thank you..." She hugged Ameena again, crying harder while looking down at her other lone stump to the side. Despite missing the chunk of flesh, it did its best to wrap around the other woman's body.

[ BINGO: PRIDE ]

close tab

played by

Ghostfinch

she/her
june 8
pansexual
scientist
grunt
5'11 height
5'11 height
awards
793 posts
ameena abadi DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @ameena
ameena abadi
scarlet ibis [m]
POSTED ON Sept 4, 2024 18:23:16 GMT
ameena abadi Avatar
[nospaces]
[attr="class","ameena"]
[attr="class","body"]

She had to keep her reactions largely to herself. She was desensitized to the violence that caused amputations and was unbothered by Gwen's form, but the reasons it happened made her fight a lip curl. She was horrified the League was so improperly staffed and organized that they allowed this to happen. Rangers were designed for emergencies, and where had their triage services been? [break][break]

Whatever. She could not take the argument up meaningfully without being hypocritical, and no one would listen to her anyhow. [break][break]

"Think nothing of it," she assured as she hugged Gwen back. "This is what you deserve. One day, you will believe that." She intended to spoil her when she had the opportunity. She wanted Gwen to see what kind of luxury was out there for her if she'd only reach for it. Gwen had humble sights, but Ameena would teach her to want the world - and to demand it. [break][break]

She pulled back and assessed Gwen's state again. "I have no intention of taking up much of your time and disturbing your rest or healing, but is there anything else I can do for you before I leave?"

TAGS [break]

[attr="class","credit"]

close tab

played by

Madda

Gwen, "Gwennie"
She/Her
May 29
Twinleaf Town
Closeted Lesbian
Ranger-In-Training
Cadet
5'6" height
5'6" height
awards
287 posts
part of
TAG WITH @gwendolyn
Gwendolyn Conway
scarlet ibis [m]
POSTED ON Sept 5, 2024 0:44:17 GMT
Gwendolyn Conway Avatar
[attr="class","samcam"]

Her hands around her was a comfort that Gwen had needed immensely. She hadn't felt so alone since, well, forever, really. Only a few choice people had visited her and those that did were rather only more official visits than anything. Even Robin was...No, she would come eventually. Gwen was sure of it. There wasn't any way that her best friend would forget about her in a condition like this. They were a thick as berry stew, which Goodras did enjoy back at her old work.

Gwendolyn had put on an emotive face, but Ameena could likely tell her overexertion had taken its toll. Her grip relaxed on the woman and she was starting to nod off again. At being asked what she wanted, a loud growl came from her stomach, while Gwen slowly lowered herself back down onto the comfortable bed. She adjusted the covers over herself again and stretched. "Food would be nice." she said with a sigh. "This preset menu they have here is like eating gruel. I need like...the biggest burger they make. A-And cake. Like super sweet cake. Chocolate."

Her eyes closed while Gwen smiled, imagining the taste of actual food for a change. "If you could get that I'd love you for it..."

[ BINGO: CAKE ]

close tab

played by

Ghostfinch

she/her
june 8
pansexual
scientist
grunt
5'11 height
5'11 height
awards
793 posts
ameena abadi DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @ameena
ameena abadi
scarlet ibis [m]
POSTED ON Sept 5, 2024 15:25:04 GMT
ameena abadi Avatar
[nospaces]
[attr="class","ameena"]
[attr="class","body"]

The request is... cute. [break][break]

"Consider it done." Gwen gets more comfortable in the best while Ameena's already plotting what to bring. The Ranger didn't ask for it, but she's also going to bring some Galarian pastries. [break][break]

She returns with bags of food. Admittedly, it's overkill. But she can't bear to let Gwen go without. Galarian cheese-and-berry pastries, two different burgers since she didn't know Gwen's preference, fries, and several slices of baguette in case she needed it for her stomach. The other bag holds a triple chocolate cake - an entire one, not just a slice - and some pre-sliced fruit and a platter of chef's choice sushi. [break][break]

Overkill, indeed. [break][break]

She begins unpacking it on Gwen's emptiest bedside table, laying food items out like an extravagant but mismatched charcuterie board. All the while, she regales her audience with a tale about a mix-up with Corviknight taxis to help keep Gwen's mind off of the war and the loss.

TAGS [break]

[attr="class","credit"]

close tab

played by

Madda

Gwen, "Gwennie"
She/Her
May 29
Twinleaf Town
Closeted Lesbian
Ranger-In-Training
Cadet
5'6" height
5'6" height
awards
287 posts
part of
TAG WITH @gwendolyn
Gwendolyn Conway
scarlet ibis [m]
POSTED ON Sept 5, 2024 22:57:59 GMT
Gwendolyn Conway Avatar
[attr="class","samcam"]

The moment Ameena returned with food, Gwen's mouth watered beyond control. After numerous meals of mash and what amount to "fake food" that was thrown in a microwave, a real, heart meal was what Gwen wanted. Ameena regaled her about a mix up between taxis as she tore into the food ravenously. It was like she hadn't eaten in days, at the rate the ranger consumed everything. The burger lasted, at most, 20 seconds until Gwendolyn had finished the first and picked at the fries. The second she slowly passed down to Gishath beneath the bed and began to eat whatever mastries that Ameena put near her.

"So good!~ Is everything from Galar so sweet?" she asked Ameena in a brief moment of pausing between bites, then going back into scarfing down food. Once it had been about ten minutes of chatting and chewing on stuff, Gwen was fast asleep in her bed. The exhausted ranger grumbling a name every now and again while she let out soft snores. "Zzzz...Gwo...bin..."

WRITE REPLY

QUICK REPLY

it's a long life full of long nights

img
The Shula Region
Hogwarts AU
RPG Unlimited
MR
The Enroi Region
N:FB
Vyrehaven
Celestial Guardians, AU Sailor Moon RP