awards
734 posts
part of
TAG WITH @makotokurumi
Makoto Kurumi
What is Humanity? [Mission]
POSTED ON Sept 19, 2024 3:03:07 GMT
Makoto Kurumi Avatar
's recommendation had put her on their brain. 's additional vouching sinched it for them.

It was not too long after they had touched bases with the both of them, their fellow Nebula members, that Makoto had decided to come back to Petalburg. Things were a lot less messy than when they had last come to visit Howard - but there was still much to be done. Enough to last an eternity, it felt like, as they gazed to the mountain ranges that Regirock had 'blessed' these parts with.

They did not let their thoughts linger long, though. Instead, they'd turn a corner on the street - coming to the front door of a repurposed building. They needed to figure something out - to find answers to a question still boiling in their head - and the person inside was the key to it.

They knocked on the door, and waited.
close tab

played by

sunny.html

abby, lady taipan
she/her
31 years old
November 3rd
littleroot
bisexual
bar owner, drug manufacturer
grunt
don't come back.
widowed
5'6" height
5'6" height
i used to dream in the dark of palisades park.
awards
167 posts
part of
TAG WITH @absinthe
Absinthe Blackwood
POSTED ON Sept 19, 2024 3:29:05 GMT
Absinthe Blackwood Avatar
[nospaces]
[attr="class","absinthe"]
[attr="class","body"]

absinthe's makeshift lab is located in one of the only areas in petalburg that still stands, where the edges of petalburg's jeweled crown have started to rust. though amongst the wreckage and debris, though the exterior walls are tainted with dirt and grime, the building yet stands proud, and hosts therein a brilliant mind.[break][break]

inside, a variety of scents mingle in the air: bleach, ammonia, and embalming fluid. beautifly corpses line the walls and ceiling, dead by the very chemicals that are being cooked up in glass beakers on a cluttered countertop, pinned there for close study. macabre guardians, they are, watched merely to witness the effects of burgeoning new chemicals on fleshy bodies.[break][break]

and then, there is absinthe, standing amongst it all as naturally as an undertaker stands among his graves. her hair, as black as murkrow feathers, clings to the sweat on her forehead as she finishes pouring some dark liquid into a vial, sealing it with a satisfying pop.[break][break]

when she hears a knock, her spine straightens. she is not often bothered for no reason. it is always, unfailingly, for business. she allows herself one deep, shaky breath, and then lifts her head to glance at the door. is she expecting a visitor?[break][break]

"it's open," absinthe calls. "come in if you're going to."

[break][break]

NOTES

- n/a

[attr="class","pkmn"]

[attr="class","credit"]
MADE BY GUNSMILE

[googlefont=Poppins]
[newclass=".absinthe"]--accent:#D8AD43;font:12px Poppins;[/newclass]
[newclass=".absinthe b"]color:var(--accent);font:bold 14px Roboto;letter-spacing:.1px;[/newclass]
[newclass=".absinthe i"]color:var(--accent);[/newclass]
[newclass=".absinthe u"]text-underline-offset:3px;text-decoration-color:var(--accent);[/newclass]
[newclass=".absinthe a"]font:12px Poppins;color:var(--accent);[/newclass]
[newclass=".absinthe h1"]font:16px Poppins;color:var(--accent);font-weight:bold;[/newclass]
[newclass=".absinthe h2"]font:14px Poppins;color:var(--accent);font-weight:bold;[/newclass]
[newclass=".absinthe .body"]background-image:url("https://image.ibb.co/cpf8Wc/flower_patt.png");background-position:bottom;background-repeat:no-repeat;text-align:justify;letter-spacing:.2px;[/newclass]
[newclass=".absinthe .pkmn img"]margin:-10px -7px 0px -7px;[/newclass]
[newclass=".absinthe .credit"]width:100px;background-color:#232323;font-size:10px;margin-top:7px;padding:3px;[/newclass]
[newclass=".absinthe .credit a"]font-size:10px;[/newclass]
close tab

played by

Tsukistar

They/Them
May 14th
Ecruteak City
Pansexual
Phantom Thief
Grunt
5'11" / 180.3cm height
5'11" / 180.3cm height
Fox tails hidden under wedding dresses
awards
734 posts
part of
TAG WITH @makotokurumi
Makoto Kurumi
POSTED ON Sept 19, 2024 3:39:31 GMT
Makoto Kurumi Avatar
Makoto does hesitate briefly, as Absinthe calls back. For a moment, there is that realization that there was probably no taking back their decision, once they entered (or at least, no going back on it without drawing too much attention to themself.) Going in would be opening the Pandora's Box, and within would either be the reassurance that they were as human now as they were before...

... Or, they'd learn something about themself less than pleasant.

They take a deep breath in, holding it for a second, before exhaling. Whatever happens... Whatever they're told, they are still themself. Howard is still Howard, and they are still Makoto.

So, they open the door, and step inside.

The smell of chemicals and the dead hits them immediately; while they might be able to pick out maybe one or two scents if they tried, everything else was a dizzying mess that almost left them lightheaded.

But, they persevered forward - closing the door behind them and stepping forth. "You're... Absinthe, right?" They questioned - adding "I'm Makoto. I, uhm... I heard of you, from Admin Fox and Beast Quinn." Howard and Tempest.
close tab

played by

sunny.html

abby, lady taipan
she/her
31 years old
November 3rd
littleroot
bisexual
grunt
don't come back.
widowed
5'6" height
5'6" height
awards
167 posts
part of
TAG WITH @absinthe
Absinthe Blackwood
POSTED ON Sept 19, 2024 3:48:15 GMT
[nospaces]
[attr="class","body"]

when makoto enters, absinthe fixes them with an appraising stare from above the relative anonymity of her black gas mask over one half of her face, taking in their entirety. her eyes bore into them, green and glinting like deadly jewels even in the half-light.[break][break]

all the while, she cleans up her work station, brisk and efficient. she throws the facade of the mad scientist, haphazardly creating concoctions that will light the world aflame, but in reality she knows she has to be careful. a delicate science requires a steady hand, a mind unwaveringly loyal to the rules and limits of nature. sometimes, she mixes chemicals with such painful precision that the chances of overdosing and killing herself becomes startlingly high.[break][break]

she likes that. she thrives on the edge of a knife.[break][break]

"so you have, makoto," she says evenly, testing their name on her tongue, setting down her materials. to be heard of is both confounding and a source of pride. she cannot help but imagine, in some back corner of her mind, that she is not spoken of with confidence, but with derision, as crazy, as maddened.[break][break]

some of it is true. absinthe hates it.[break][break]

there is some unspoken sense of confidence, at least, knowing that whoever has been lead to this hellhole was sent by someone who matters. absinthe leans against the counter. "what have you heard?" she asks finally. "i imagine you've come in need of something."

[break][break]

NOTES

- n/a

[attr="class","pkmn"]

[attr="class","credit"]
MADE BY GUNSMILE

[googlefont=Poppins]
[newclass=".absinthe b"]color:var(--accent);font:bold 14px Roboto;letter-spacing:.1px;[/newclass]
[newclass=".absinthe u"]text-underline-offset:3px;text-decoration-color:var(--accent);[/newclass]
[newclass=".absinthe h1"]font:16px Poppins;color:var(--accent);font-weight:bold;[/newclass]
[newclass=".absinthe h2"]font:14px Poppins;color:var(--accent);font-weight:bold;[/newclass]
[newclass=".absinthe .body"]background-image:url("https://image.ibb.co/cpf8Wc/flower_patt.png");background-position:bottom;background-repeat:no-repeat;text-align:justify;letter-spacing:.2px;[/newclass]
[newclass=".absinthe .credit"]width:100px;background-color:#232323;font-size:10px;margin-top:7px;padding:3px;[/newclass]
close tab

played by

Tsukistar

They/Them
May 14th
Ecruteak City
Pansexual
Phantom Thief
Grunt
5'11" / 180.3cm height
5'11" / 180.3cm height
awards
734 posts
part of
TAG WITH @makotokurumi
Makoto Kurumi
POSTED ON Sept 19, 2024 4:01:24 GMT
Makoto Kurumi Avatar
Makoto felt as pinned as the Beautiflies on the wall, under Absinthe's gaze. Green met green - though if it came down to it, Makoto would've blinked first.

They are thankful then, that she was just as much focused on cleaning her workstation as she was on them. They watch somewhat - more focused upon the scientist than her work - as she sets aside beakers and bottles and the like. None of the chemicals here looked as though they'd bode well for anyone, none of them seemed like something you'd see a professor or doctor employ.

Through and through, she was a scientist - a scientist of death, perhaps. But to understand death, you had to understand life as well, Makoto imagined - so she would still do for what they needed. So, they responded "I've... Heard that you're an intelligent woman. Good with research and intel alike..."

Makoto pauses a second, considering, before adding "... And... that you'd keep things confidential, if I asked."

Their own gaze is appraising now. Even if most of Absinthe's face is hidden, they know that there are still plenty of muscles around the eyes that express just as much as the mouth. Squints at the corners from one's smiles, the quirks of one's eyebrows... They watch for any tells that'd imply whether they'd be able to trust her.
close tab

played by

sunny.html

abby, lady taipan
she/her
31 years old
November 3rd
littleroot
bisexual
grunt
don't come back.
widowed
5'6" height
5'6" height
awards
167 posts
part of
TAG WITH @absinthe
Absinthe Blackwood
POSTED ON Sept 19, 2024 4:31:44 GMT
[nospaces]
[attr="class","body"]

there is something that lingers around the corner of absinthe's eyes, in the wrinkle between her eyebrows, that twitches and spasms as the faintest form of a feeling begins to shape within her chest.[break][break]

this soft, sluggish warmth floods through her every extremity at the mention of her intelligence, a refreshing reminder of who she once was. it once brought her validation, acceptance within her community, amongst her peers. is it possible that people still perceive her as intelligent? is it possible that people remember?[break][break]

some amount of loyalty does stir behind her ribs. loyalty to who? not makoto, certainly, and not the parties who directed them to her services. it is loyalty to herself, then. she knows what she knows. there's no reason she can't use her expertise to her advantage.[break][break]

this, paired with a drive to renew her promise of confidentiality, of that pungent and overwhelming instinct to isolate herself and the knowledge she possesses, builds up and bubbles over into a steady and unreadable expression.[break][break]

"it's good to know my work hasn't gone unnoticed," absinthe admits slowly, pushing away from the countertop. "confidentiality is key in my profession. i don't discuss my clients or the nature of their inquiries."[break][break]

she sets one hand on her hip, as sharp and bony as the rest of her. "what did you have in mind?"

[break][break]

NOTES

- n/a

[attr="class","pkmn"]

[attr="class","credit"]
MADE BY GUNSMILE

[googlefont=Poppins]
close tab

played by

Tsukistar

They/Them
May 14th
Ecruteak City
Pansexual
Phantom Thief
Grunt
5'11" / 180.3cm height
5'11" / 180.3cm height
awards
734 posts
part of
TAG WITH @makotokurumi
Makoto Kurumi
POSTED ON Sept 19, 2024 4:57:23 GMT
Makoto Kurumi Avatar
The promise made sets Makoto at ease. There is still an undercurrent of uncertainty, the sort that they hold for every Rocket that they're unfamiliar with - the uncertainty of 'can I really trust them?'... But they allow themself to push those uncertainties away, for at least this once.

"I'm... In possession of a Deoxys, named Erebus." This is no secret - at least within Rocket. "During the fighting in Mossdeep... My end of things had gotten out of hand - and when we were outnumbered and got backed into a corner, Erebus... Temporarily fused with me." Symbiosis still felt like the wrong word, for how much the events had left them shaken.

Makoto takes in a deep breath, before exhaling slow. It was a bit easier to recount it all, but it still felt that slightest bit raw to talk about. "I worry that... Even if everything about me still looks fine on the surface, that there might have been lingering effects. That underneath the skin, there's something about me that's no longer the same..."

That there could still be pieces of Erebus left behind.

"I want you to give me a check up - to analyze me for anything that... isn't normal. I've brought Erebus with me, if you need it as a reference point."
close tab

played by

sunny.html

abby, lady taipan
she/her
31 years old
November 3rd
littleroot
bisexual
grunt
don't come back.
widowed
5'6" height
5'6" height
awards
167 posts
part of
TAG WITH @absinthe
Absinthe Blackwood
POSTED ON Sept 19, 2024 5:05:36 GMT
[nospaces]
[attr="class","body"]

there is no warmth, there is no coddling. there are plenty of words that absinthe can offer on the subject, but none of them are particularly comforting, and yet she delves into them nevertheless, clinical and professorial.[break][break]

"ah," absinthe says, realization dawning. "deoxys." she tilts her head to one side, eyes narrowing as she regards makoto's face. "i can understand the concern, then."[break][break]

she takes a few paces forward, hands clasped behind her back. "when something so supernatural, so invasive occurs, it's not unnatural for such events to have repercussions on the mortal body." her voice is measured and calm, but there's an unnatural rigidity to her posture, like she's considering each of her words, painfully choosing what to say.[break][break]

the evidence supports it. mortal's bodies changing shape when forced into some form of temporary symbiosis with a foreign body isn't anything new. it happens in the natural world to an overwhelming degree, with parasect and the likes. it happens in humans less often, but in no less observable terms. the more she thinks of the possibilities, the greater her intrigue.[break][break]

"i would like to take samples from both you and the deoxys," she says to makoto, waving a hand towards a nearby chair obviously meant for the taking of blood. "i'll perform a brief analysis of both samples and compare. any abnormalities should reveal themselves."

[break][break]

NOTES

- n/a

[attr="class","pkmn"]

[attr="class","credit"]
MADE BY GUNSMILE

[googlefont=Poppins]
WRITE REPLY

QUICK REPLY

it's a long life full of long nights

img
The Shula Region
Hogwarts AU
RPG Unlimited
MR
The Enroi Region
N:FB
Vyrehaven