POSTED ON Aug 11, 2020 10:40:46 GMT
marcel maeda Avatar
[nospaces]
[attr="class","darkKcontain"]
[attr="class","darkKheader"]
[attr="class","darkKteam"]

[attr="class","marcelThread"]"there has to be something you're good at."
[break][break]
this is the thought that's inspired this line of events. marcel stands before the club's entrance alongside mclaren (the company he'd invited) and dominic (the unrelenting nuisance). a look is exchanged with the bouncer before they're allowed in.
[break][break]
it's a simple test--by his standards, not mclaren's--but he hopes by some small miracle it will unlock whatever hidden potential there may be in the older rocket. marcel leans against the bar, though he shows no intention of buying a drink. his head tilts in mclaren's direction to be better heard over the music.
[break][break]
"how are your acting skills?"
[break][break]
[attr="class","darkKdivide"]
[break]

[attr="class","darkKnotes"]notes ...

[break]
[attr="class","darkKtag"] [attr="class","darkKtag"]

[newclass=.darkKcontain]width:375px;height:auto;border:none;[/newclass]
[newclass=.darkKheader]width:375px;height:160px;overflow-x:hidden;overflow-y:hidden;border-bottom:solid 1px #1a1a1a;overflow:hidden;text-align:left;[/newclass]
[newclass=.darkKteam]width:auto;height:23px;padding:8px;background-color:#212121;opacity:0.8;transition:all .5s;text-align:right;[/newclass]
[newclass=.party]width:30px;filter:grayscale(100%) brightness(50%) contrast(75%);transition:all .5s;[/newclass]
[newclass=.party:hover]filter:grayscale(0%) brightness(100%) contrast(100%);transition:all .5s;[/newclass]
[newclass=.active]width:30px;filter:grayscale(0%) brightness(100%) contrast(100%);[/newclass]
[newclass=.marcelThread]width:315px;background-color:#212121;font-family:monospace;font-size:10px;text-align:justify;letter-spacing:-.1px;padding:25px 30px;color:#999999;[/newclass]
[newclass=.marcelThread b]font-weight:bold;color:#716075;[/newclass]
[newclass=.marcelThread a]text-transform:lowercase;font-size:9px;[/newclass]
[newclass=.darkKtag]padding:5px;background-color:#1a1a1a;font-size:6px;color:#c2c2c2;text-transform:lowercase;letter-spacing:0.2px;border-radius:3px;font-weight:600;font-family:verdana;[/newclass]
[newclass=.darkKtag a]font-weight:600!important;font-size:6px!important;[/newclass]
[newclass=.darkKdivide]margin-top:5px;width:auto;height:1px;border-bottom:solid 1px #1a1a1a;[/newclass]
[newclass=.darkKnotes]margin-top:5px;font-size:8px;[/newclass]
close tab

played by

lyre

sinclair
he / him
twenty-eight
january 4
saffron, kanto
heterosexual
underboss
executive
become as fire, eat the woods. eat the dark and show where i stood
awards
518 posts
part of
TAG WITH @dominic
dominic sinclair
trial [c]
POSTED ON Aug 11, 2020 13:01:52 GMT
dominic sinclair Avatar
 marcel's choice of club really speaks volumes, and dominic isn't sure whether to be surprised or not. he slinks behind the pair at a calculated distance - close enough to watch the trainwreck unfold, far enough that he could slip away with ease.

inside, his eyes scan the roiling crowd with latent interest, but dominic remains close to his colleagues - at least for now. he joins marcel and mclaren a few moments after they reach the bar. his mouth twists into a sharp grin, vaguely reminiscent of that of a gengar, and he leans close to marcel's ear to speak.

"puis-je t'acheter un verre?"

dominic doesn't wait for a response, waving the bartender over to order for the three of them.

close tab

played by

sulfur

the flurry
she/her/hers
september 19
ringtown
pansexual
hitman
elite
it’s all winter here, even in august
awards
188 posts
part of
TAG WITH @mcflurry
mclaren mcflurry
trial [c]
POSTED ON Aug 11, 2020 22:55:39 GMT
mclaren mcflurry Avatar

Normal ain't normal,
𝐎 𝐑 𝐃 𝐈 𝐍 𝐀 𝐑 𝐘 is a luxury
If you wanna understand,
you stand 𝐔 𝐍 𝐃 𝐄 𝐑

honestly, mcflurry didn't really like this type of club. she likes places with bars far away from the music, so she could be heard without having to raise her voice -- not this loud stuff. that's if you like to dance.

either way, while she was just cursing her luck before, it's now nighttime and mcflurry is, in the most blunt way possible, in her element. sure, she might not be good at bank heists or disposing of dead pokemon or huge firefights -- but if there's one thing mcflurry's good at, it's bars and other languages and playing the piano and flirting. ...wait, that's four things.

(incredibly opposite to what literally anyone would expect of her, but that's part of the fun.)

"je ne savais pas que vous parliez kaloçais, mcsieur."

perfect kalosian spills from mcflurry's tongue without a single bout of stuttering, and she speaks to the bartender first, ordering some orre-brand whiskey to start the night, already a step ahead of both the boys.

"...acting skills? i, mc, never took any classes. b-but... i'm mcbetter than most rockets at, ah."

mcflurry started flipping a coaster in her fingers, strangely dextrous.

"acting inconspicuous."
● your first mistake: inviting mcflurry to a bar

[attr="class","cred"]MADE BY VEL OF WW + GS

[newclass=.cred]text-align:center;font-size:6pt;color:rgb(132, 132, 132);letter-spacing:1px;font-family:verdana;margin-top:5px;[/newclass]
[newclass=.cred a]color:rgb(132, 132, 132);font-size:6pt;letter-spacing:1px;font-family:verdana;[/newclass]
close tab

played by

kay

kosuke sato
he/him
twenty-eight
february 20
nimbasa city, unova
bisexual
head of intel
executive
i burn, i shiver / out of this sun and into this shadow
awards
1,191 posts
marcel maeda DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @marcel
marcel maeda
trial [c]
POSTED ON Aug 12, 2020 9:23:55 GMT
marcel maeda Avatar
[nospaces]

[attr="class","marcelThread"]the clumsy nuances of dominic's kalosian draw the edge of a grin to his face. "why so stiff?" marcel throws back.
[break][break]
mclaren, admittedly, surprises him when she speaks up. a moment's silence precedes his laughter.
[break][break]"je n'appellerai pas 'le kalosien'," he interjects, only slightly smug. a sidelong glance is given to dominic to gauge his reaction.
[break][break]when the bartender's attention moves to him, marcel waves him away with a no thanks. as unbearable places like these were sober, he knows it's better not to drink on the job.
[break][break]
mclaren's answer is reassuring, at least. "inconspicuous is good." his curiosity provoked, marcel puts his plan on hold for the time being. "how many languages do you know?" he asks.
[break][break]
[break]

[break]

[newclass=.darkKheader]width:375px;height:160px;overflow-x:hidden;overflow-y:hidden;border-bottom:solid 1px #1a1a1a;overflow:hidden;text-align:left;[/newclass]
[newclass=.darkKteam]width:auto;height:23px;padding:8px;background-color:#212121;opacity:0.8;transition:all .5s;text-align:right;[/newclass]
[newclass=.party]width:30px;filter:grayscale(100%) brightness(50%) contrast(75%);transition:all .5s;[/newclass]
[newclass=.party:hover]filter:grayscale(0%) brightness(100%) contrast(100%);transition:all .5s;[/newclass]
[newclass=.active]width:30px;filter:grayscale(0%) brightness(100%) contrast(100%);[/newclass]
[newclass=.marcelThread]width:315px;background-color:#212121;font-family:monospace;font-size:10px;text-align:justify;letter-spacing:-.1px;padding:25px 30px;color:#999999;[/newclass]
[newclass=.darkKtag]padding:5px;background-color:#1a1a1a;font-size:6px;color:#c2c2c2;text-transform:lowercase;letter-spacing:0.2px;border-radius:3px;font-weight:600;font-family:verdana;[/newclass]
[newclass=.darkKtag a]font-weight:600!important;font-size:6px!important;[/newclass]
[newclass=.darkKdivide]margin-top:5px;width:auto;height:1px;border-bottom:solid 1px #1a1a1a;[/newclass]
close tab

played by

lyre

sinclair
he / him
twenty-eight
january 4
saffron, kanto
heterosexual
underboss
executive
awards
518 posts
part of
TAG WITH @dominic
dominic sinclair
trial [c]
POSTED ON Aug 12, 2020 12:40:04 GMT
dominic sinclair Avatar
 dominic’s mouth is twisted into a cheshire cat smile when he pulls back from leaning forward to murmur into marcel’s ear. he fixes the woman with a stare, and though his eyes crinkle at the corners, the smile doesn’t quite reach them.

"my, my, won’t you look at that," he drawls. "kalosian and perfect hearing?" dominic’s tone drips with sarcasm and if he’s impressed by either fact his features don’t betray it. very briefly, his light grip on marcel’s shoulder tightens and then he lets go entirely.

dominic turns away from the pair, his lack of interest in the rest of the conversation made explicit by the way he laconically leans against the bar, glancing over his shoulder to scan the crowd of bodies with latent interest. his gaze lingers on one or two people - pretty.

when the drinks arrive, dominic downs his in a single smooth motion and keeps his hand curled around the other two. perhaps they were originally intended for his colleagues but they managed to erode his goodwill at record speed.

close tab

played by

sulfur

the flurry
she/her/hers
september 19
ringtown
pansexual
hitman
elite
awards
188 posts
part of
TAG WITH @mcflurry
mclaren mcflurry
trial [c]
POSTED ON Aug 13, 2020 2:39:17 GMT
mclaren mcflurry Avatar

Normal ain't normal,
If you wanna understand,
you stand 𝐔 𝐍 𝐃 𝐄 𝐑

mcflurry only shrinks further as she's met with smugness and disdain simultaneously. really, every little action these guys did... just intimidated her. made her feel weak. made her not want to talk anymore.

it feels like being in a classroom with a teacher that hates you. or trying to reason with bullies. there wasn't -- there wouldn't be any interaction. it's just one-sided suffering.

even more so when mcflurry's drink gets stolen. not even downed, at that. the guy's just holding the drink from her like a schoolyard boy holding her lunch away from her. this is just -- this is just fifth grade all over again.

at this rate, it's obvious that mcflurry will only speak if spoken to. she's curling up on herself and keeping her eyes away from anywhere near the other two men.

"i'm, i'm mcfluent in -- ten. twelve if you -- if you mccount dialects. fifteen if you count dead mm, languages."

she already knows the next question to come, so she preps the reply before they get the idea to ask.

"kantonese. hoennese dialect, specifically associated with draconid. kalosian. ambrettais dialect. galarian. fiorelian. almian. oblivian. alolan. holon. poketopic. ferric. the dead mclanguages are -- are ancient regi and unown."

she has a dark look on her face as she tries to keep herself together.

"i'm -- i only know the mcbasics of others, like phrases and letters. my ransei-ju is rusty, a-and i, uh. i don't have a mctelepathic pokemon or else i'd, i'd practice more of my DTP..."

she needs to be good enough. she needs to be good enough. she needs to offer more...
● your second mistake: asking mcflurry her languages

[newclass=.cred]text-align:center;font-size:6pt;color:rgb(132, 132, 132);letter-spacing:1px;font-family:verdana;margin-top:5px;[/newclass]
[newclass=.cred a]color:rgb(132, 132, 132);font-size:6pt;letter-spacing:1px;font-family:verdana;[/newclass]
close tab

played by

kay

kosuke sato
he/him
twenty-eight
february 20
nimbasa city, unova
bisexual
head of intel
executive
awards
1,191 posts
marcel maeda DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @marcel
marcel maeda
trial [c]
POSTED ON Aug 14, 2020 10:01:18 GMT
marcel maeda Avatar
[nospaces]

[attr="class","marcelThread"]marcel senses the shift in mclaren's attitude, and blames it entirely on dominic. he shifts to better block him out with his own figure, though it's clear the underboss' attention is already beginning to stray. probably for the best.
[break][break]
mclaren's list is nothing short of impressive; he notes each item down mentally. marcel pushes off the bar slightly as he thinks.
[break][break]
"you ever consider working for intel?" he asks.
[break][break]
the bartender comes full circle--this time, marcel caves. he orders the same orre-brand whiskey he'd heard mclaren order out of curiosity.
[break][break]
[break]

[break]

close tab

played by

lyre

sinclair
he / him
twenty-eight
january 4
saffron, kanto
heterosexual
underboss
executive
awards
518 posts
part of
TAG WITH @dominic
dominic sinclair
trial [c]
POSTED ON Aug 14, 2020 12:58:34 GMT
dominic sinclair Avatar
 marcel’s considerate gesture - moving firmly in between him and mcflurry - shields her from seeing dominic’s lip curl in disgust. as she lists her languages, dominic finds himself rolling his eyes.

briefly, he makes eye contact with the bartender again and mouths another round. perhaps it’s projection, but dominic chooses the interpret the look in the man’s eyes as sympathy for his plight.

"are you sure that’s a good fit?" dominic interjects at marcel’s offer. it’s a rhetorical question and he already knows the answer to it - marcel is the type to pick strays off the street.

dominic stretches himself to his full height, and this time marcel’s bulk won’t hide the woman from his sneer and narrowed eyes. "that tic of yours? i wouldn’t call it - what word did you use? inconspicuous?"

close tab

played by

sulfur

the flurry
she/her/hers
september 19
ringtown
pansexual
hitman
elite
awards
188 posts
part of
TAG WITH @mcflurry
mclaren mcflurry
trial [c]
POSTED ON Aug 14, 2020 17:13:40 GMT
mclaren mcflurry Avatar

Normal ain't normal,
If you wanna understand,
you stand 𝐔 𝐍 𝐃 𝐄 𝐑

the difference in approach is palpable. one of them is trying to be nice to her, the other one clearly just doesn't want to be here. a small part of mcflurry wonders why he hasn't left yet. maybe he just thrives on shitting on people.

in any case, her fingers reflexively reach for a drink, but because of mr. sinclair's objections, there is none. so mcflurry just spins the coaster between her index and the table, nervous.

"i, uh. i didn't mcknow about that. sir."

mcflurry swallows the dryness of her throat. they had an intel division? hell, they had divisions? she never understood the deeper workings of rocket. ever. so she repeats what she always repeats when she learns something new.

"nobody -- nobody mctells me these things. they just, they just send me to mcdo field work. i'm... i'm just a mcgrunt."

and then the second question comes, and mcflurry actually has a little zip in her tone, because this guy's been like this all fucking night.

"mm. nobody ever suspects the mcstuttering idiot with a speech disability to... to hurt people."
● your third mistake: idk at this point

close tab

played by

kay

kosuke sato
he/him
twenty-eight
february 20
nimbasa city, unova
bisexual
head of intel
executive
awards
1,191 posts
marcel maeda DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @marcel
marcel maeda
trial [c]
POSTED ON Aug 14, 2020 18:05:31 GMT
marcel maeda Avatar
[nospaces]

[attr="class","marcelThread"]marcel bristles at the sight of dominic's sneer, sending him a look over his shoulder he knows will have no effect. "look," he mutters, "we don't have to put her--" he cuts himself short as both the other rockets speak up and barely suppressing an eye roll.
[break][break]
perhaps dominic has a point, but he isn't about to go acknowledging it.
[break][break]
his drink arrives, and marcel immediately slides it over to mclaren, if only to draw her attention away from dominic. "you won't have to hurt people," he says, mindful of the implications of her words in their current situation. there's some hesitation before he adds, "not all the time. it's mostly about collecting information discreetly."
[break][break]
[break]

[break]

close tab

played by

lyre

sinclair
he / him
twenty-eight
january 4
saffron, kanto
heterosexual
underboss
executive
awards
518 posts
part of
TAG WITH @dominic
dominic sinclair
trial [c]
POSTED ON Aug 15, 2020 14:08:51 GMT
dominic sinclair Avatar
 dominic’s gaze flickers between mcflurry and marcel as he shifts forward - movement leisurely but deliberate. he places one arm around marcel’s shoulders, drink still in hand. ice clinks against glass. craning his head to study marcel’s face, dominic’s lips are parted as though in thought - marcel will catch the derision in the way his mouth curls, the way mirth glimmers in narrowed eyes.

"yeah? alright then," dominic says softly. he turns to face mcflurry. "intel, huh? you two will have… so much fun. together. i am-" though his expression remains impassive, only briefly biting his lip, marcel may feel dominic’s body shudder with barely suppressed laughter.

"i am looking forward to hearing all about it. i think you will make an incredible team."

dominic removes his arm from marcel’s shoulders and finishes the drink he had been holding, tossing a few bills on the bar between them.

close tab

played by

sulfur

the flurry
she/her/hers
september 19
ringtown
pansexual
hitman
elite
awards
188 posts
part of
TAG WITH @mcflurry
mclaren mcflurry
trial [c]
POSTED ON Aug 16, 2020 17:34:05 GMT
mclaren mcflurry Avatar

Normal ain't normal,
If you wanna understand,
you stand 𝐔 𝐍 𝐃 𝐄 𝐑

mcflurry shoots dominic and marcel a look, her eyebrows furling for a millisecond as she glances at dominic.

she doesn't know what unsaid relationship they have. she doesn't know what this silent conversation is between them -- she's never been good at reading minds, after all. but one thing is certain.

"...thanks. i, mm. hope so too."

if the dominic guy's gonna leave now, then she really wishes he'd do it faster. what a fucking dick, honestly. who sits in on a meeting just to be an ass?

mcflurry can't say that, though, so she keeps the conversation on her future employment.

"i, uh. i think i'd mclike that -- and i'd be good at... mccollecting info and stuff. i don't know how many mctranslators you have..."

so on, so forth, about business nothings. but a lady in red passes, and mid-conversation, mcflurry's eyes trail in front of her, at her, behind her, going to the dance floor.

"--hm. why'd you... choose this bar?"

close tab

played by

kay

kosuke sato
he/him
twenty-eight
february 20
nimbasa city, unova
bisexual
head of intel
executive
awards
1,191 posts
marcel maeda DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @marcel
marcel maeda
trial [c]
POSTED ON Aug 16, 2020 23:44:06 GMT
marcel maeda Avatar
[nospaces]

[attr="class","marcelThread"]marcel, unable to relax under the weight across his shoulders, catches dominic's sneer out the corner of his eye. he sighs, shifts--an unsuccessful attempt to shrug him off--too meek, mindful of the drink in his hand. whatever the rocket says is sent to the far back of his mind--there is nothing marcel ignores entirely, but he knows how to filter out the chaff. the same goes for his smothered laughter.
[break][break]
as dominic backs away, marcel answers mclaren's words with a smile. they could settle this later, in a better environment, with better company. for now, he focuses on her question.
[break][break]
"you don't like it?" he asks, glancing around; for a moment, he seems far away. another long exhale.
[break][break]
"go enjoy yourself, mcflurry. i think we're done for tonight." the underboss' presence has worn away at him more than he'd like to admit.
[break][break]
[break]

[break]

close tab

played by

lyre

sinclair
he / him
twenty-eight
january 4
saffron, kanto
heterosexual
underboss
executive
awards
518 posts
part of
TAG WITH @dominic
dominic sinclair
trial [c]
POSTED ON Aug 18, 2020 16:29:31 GMT
dominic sinclair Avatar
 lips set in a taut smile, dominic shakes his head - a very slight, barely perceptible gesture. this is a royal fuck up in the making and he refuses to believe that marcel is oblivious to it.

his amusement at all this is a thin veneer, but there is no contempt or malice either. perhaps the reality is so much worse - with his gaze searching both mclaren and marcel, dominic finds that he feels absolutely nothing.

inclining his head over his shoulder, dominic sees that one of the women that had caught his eye earlier had stepped away from the dance floor. he catches the way her gaze lingers on him when she sees him watching her. when she smiles, dominic turns away from his colleagues and approaches her without another word.

there’s a cavity in dominic’s chest and if he can’t fill it with drink or their company, then he will find someone else that can.

close tab

played by

sulfur

the flurry
she/her/hers
september 19
ringtown
pansexual
hitman
elite
awards
188 posts
part of
TAG WITH @mcflurry
mclaren mcflurry
trial [c]
POSTED ON Aug 18, 2020 18:12:23 GMT
mclaren mcflurry Avatar

Normal ain't normal,
If you wanna understand,
you stand 𝐔 𝐍 𝐃 𝐄 𝐑

as dominic disappears behind the tail of a woman and marcel loses himself -- somewhere, mcflurry's left wondering what the hell the purpose of all this was.

reassignment? intel gathering on the lower ranks? ...intimidation? mcflurry didn't know. she can't fathom what goes on in the upper echelons' heads, what drama they might have.

she just knows her gut feeling. her gut feeling tells her marcel's trying and failing, and dominic never tries. and honestly, that sort of company is an absolute downer for a club like this.

when invited to leave, mcflurry takes it with a sigh, nodding at marcel. but, before she goes --

"uh. if you need to mccontact me... feel free. i guess. i dunno about that mcother guy, but."

she pauses.

"you're at least a... a little mccool."

and then mcflurry disappears into the crowd to lose her problems in dancing, drinks, and a partner for the night if she's lucky.