Wanderer

The Liberator
he/him/his
April 10
Lavaridge Town
Figuring it Out
Penitent
Renegade
Turned on my friends and brought them pain. I have no right to show I can change. But I gotta try!
awards
4,315 posts
Isaac Merlo DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @isaacmerlo
Isaac Merlo
A Lot More Than 11 Herbs And Spices [M]
POSTED ON Jul 2, 2022 2:09:54 GMT
Isaac Merlo Avatar
[nospaces]

[attr="class","skullhover"]

[attr="class","skullimg"]

[attr="class","skulltitle"]導通抵抗
[attr="class","skulloverlap"]BUT HOLD YOUR BREATH, GUESS WHO'S RUNNING THE SHOW?

[attr="class","skullbody"]No ability to travel in and out of Hoenn meant no imports from other regions. No imports from other regions meant way less herbs, berries, and other reagents of significance. And no access to any of those meant an apothecary's job was going to get a lot harder.[break][break]

Luckily, Isaac was on the scene to continue his trend of being an extra pair of hands for Rocket's scientists. And this one wasn't even going to throw him into a mass of wild Pokemon to see what happened next! Though this one also didn't have a cute Galarian accent, so it was a tossup when you really thought about it.[break][break]

A significantly reduced chance of destruction, mayhem, and pain didn't mean that this would all be smooth sailing, though. The Hoenn region as a whole had been more tense and hostile than it was in years previous, so even something as simple as looking for plant life in the Petalburg Woods wasn't going to be easy street. Still, with risk came reward. Maybe they would luck out and find blooms that they didn't even expect to see here. Or maybe they'd just find other scavengers on the prowl, be they human or Pokemon.[break][break]

Sectonia lead the way for Isaac, the Combee's eyes widening with delight as she took in the smorgasbord of sights and smells. There wasn't a spare moment where she wasn't buzzing from one tree to the next, taking in their unique terroir and investigating what they had to offer. Behind them, Kiryu floated, the force from her Magnet Rise gently displacing the grass below her but making far less noise than her plodding footsteps would. She was carrying the ingredient bags today, and boy could she carry a lot of those![break][break]

Yet no amount of prep changed one pertinent fact; without a direction, any search would simply turn into a wild goose chase. For this reason, Isaac made sure to turn to the leader of this little operation. "So, what kind of resources are we looking for, anyway?" he asked.

[break]
[attr="class","skullinfo"]342 WORDS /

[attr="class","skullcredits"]TAIKO!

[newclass=.skullhover]width:420px;-webkit-filter: grayscale(100%);filter: grayscale(100%);-webkit-transition:all 1s ease;transition:all 1s ease;-webkit-transition-delay:0.1s;[/newclass]
[newclass=.skullhover:hover]-webkit-filter: grayscale(0%);filter: grayscale(0%)-webkit-transition:all 1s ease;transition:all 1s ease;[/newclass]
[newclass=.skullimg]width:380px;height:200px;background-image:url(https://i.imgur.com/HOVZp0J.png); background-repeat:no-repeat;[/newclass]
[newclass=.skulltitle]font-family:verdana;font-weight:700;font-size:50px;position:relative;text-align:center;color:#D9B800;margin-top:-36px;margin-bottom:0px;text-shadow: -1px 0 black, 0 1px black, 1px 0 black, 0 -1px black;[/newclass]
[newclass=.skulloverlap]letter-spacing:1px;font-family:oswald;font-weight:200;font-size:12px;position:relative;text-align:center;margin-top:-0;margin-bottom:-5px;color:#e8e8e8;text-shadow: -1px 0 black, 0 1px black, 1px 0 black, 0 -1px black;[/newclass]
[newclass=.skullbody]div-align:center;text-align:justify;width:380px;font-size:12px;font-family:roboto;color:#d6d6d6;[/newclass]
[newclass=.skullbody b]color:#d9b800;[/newclass]
[newclass=.skullinfo]width:380px;font-family:oswald;font-size:12px;font-weight:200;color:#767676;text-align:right[/newclass]
[newclass=.skullcredits]width:380px;font-family:roboto;font-size:12px;text-align:center;[/newclass]

[googlefont=Oswald]
[googlefont=Roboto]
close tab

played by

SHIV

eli
he/him
may 15
oldale
Bisexual
apothecary
executive
single
5'10" height
5'10" height
Give some supportance to the bending twigs.
awards
620 posts
part of
TAG WITH @elijah
elijah gardner
POSTED ON Jul 3, 2022 9:22:43 GMT
elijah gardner Avatar
 "any berries. bitter herbs. roots. oh, if you spot a crystabloom. let me know. immediately."

elijah bobs on the back of his gogoat's steady trod, which stops to chew at a dandelion by isaac's feet. the stem snaps clean and exposes its milk.

his voice is rough like gravel. deep like the mantle and crust. elijah alights from his mount and slides carefully, the woven basket from its horn.

"how about you go ahead and find me something and i'll let you know how you did." elijah folds his arms over his chest, the basket scratching his skin.

close tab

played by

Wanderer

The Liberator
he/him/his
April 10
Lavaridge Town
Figuring it Out
Penitent
Renegade
Turned on my friends and brought them pain. I have no right to show I can change. But I gotta try!
awards
4,315 posts
Isaac Merlo DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @isaacmerlo
Isaac Merlo
POSTED ON Jul 3, 2022 13:30:16 GMT
Isaac Merlo Avatar
[nospaces]

[attr="class","skulloverlap"]BUT HOLD YOUR BREATH, GUESS WHO'S RUNNING THE SHOW?

[attr="class","skullbody"]Alright. Feel it out, anything goes. That made sense. "Got it," Isaac said, nodding as he turned to Sectonia. "We're gonna need your taste buds for this one, bud. Taste anything that feels unique yet?"[break][break]

Sectonia buzzed in affirmation, then zoomed off to a nearby tree. Honestly, Isaac wasn't expecting much, but this was quite the find! Many of the trees branches were small, malformed, or damaged, meaning that despite looking like a pecha berry tree, none of Hoenn's third most popular emoji were spotted growing there.[break][break]

Instead, a series of other branches were grafted onto this one tree. Rare ones, too! Liechi, Ganlon, Apicot, Salac, Petaya . . . was this some coordinator's secret project in the middle of the woods? A wild Pokemon's hard work with some fortuitous circimstance behind it? Some community program? Or just one of the many anomalies around Hoenn recently?[break][break]

Regardless of the why, Isaac's eyes lit up at the what. "Jackpot," he said, a triumphant smirk on his face. "C'mon, Kiryu. Let's load up as many of these as we can. Maybe we can taste- er, test if any of that Pecha sweetness and antitoxicity rubbed off on the berries, too." Test. Okay. Sure.[break][break]

"You keep looking while Kiryu and I get to work, okay Sectonia? We'll be right behind you."

[break]
[attr="class","skullinfo"]MOBILE POST! /

[newclass=.skullhover]width:420px;-webkit-filter: grayscale(100%);filter: grayscale(100%);-webkit-transition:all 1s ease;transition:all 1s ease;-webkit-transition-delay:0.1s;[/newclass]
[newclass=.skullhover:hover]-webkit-filter: grayscale(0%);filter: grayscale(0%)-webkit-transition:all 1s ease;transition:all 1s ease;[/newclass]
[newclass=.skullimg]width:380px;height:200px;background-image:url(https://i.imgur.com/HOVZp0J.png); background-repeat:no-repeat;[/newclass]
[newclass=.skulltitle]font-family:verdana;font-weight:700;font-size:50px;position:relative;text-align:center;color:#D9B800;margin-top:-36px;margin-bottom:0px;text-shadow: -1px 0 black, 0 1px black, 1px 0 black, 0 -1px black;[/newclass]
[newclass=.skulloverlap]letter-spacing:1px;font-family:oswald;font-weight:200;font-size:12px;position:relative;text-align:center;margin-top:-0;margin-bottom:-5px;color:#e8e8e8;text-shadow: -1px 0 black, 0 1px black, 1px 0 black, 0 -1px black;[/newclass]
[newclass=.skullbody]div-align:center;text-align:justify;width:380px;font-size:12px;font-family:roboto;color:#d6d6d6;[/newclass]
[newclass=.skullinfo]width:380px;font-family:oswald;font-size:12px;font-weight:200;color:#767676;text-align:right[/newclass]
[newclass=.skullcredits]width:380px;font-family:roboto;font-size:12px;text-align:center;[/newclass]

[googlefont=Oswald]
[googlefont=Roboto]
close tab

played by

SHIV

eli
he/him
may 15
oldale
Bisexual
apothecary
executive
single
5'10" height
5'10" height
awards
620 posts
part of
TAG WITH @elijah
elijah gardner
POSTED ON Jul 6, 2022 7:23:36 GMT
elijah gardner Avatar
 "found something already?"

elijah lurches in behind isaac. his gogoat trods along, breaking apart clods with its hooves.

he squints at the grafted tree, and his lips flatten. without moving his head, he scans the area, tilting his gaze side to side as if searching for something. someone.

"you sure about touching that?"

close tab

played by

Wanderer

The Liberator
he/him/his
April 10
Lavaridge Town
Figuring it Out
Penitent
Renegade
awards
4,315 posts
Isaac Merlo DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @isaacmerlo
Isaac Merlo
POSTED ON Jul 6, 2022 11:55:41 GMT
Isaac Merlo Avatar
[nospaces]

[attr="class","skullbody"]Ugh. Caution. That was important to have, wasn't it? Isaac stopped himself before he started stripping the tree bare of its rare berries. "I figured if its some tree in the middle of the forest, it'd be fair game," Isaac admitted. "I mean, trees die around here all the time. Almost none of them get the royal treatment like this. But you're right that this does seem very . . . Intentional."[break][break]

Not that stealing was beyond them. They were Team Rocket, for crying out loud! But it was better not to cause problems when they weren't needed.[break][break]

For this reason, rather than get to work right away, Isaac decided to hold back and study up on the situation. Were there any particular manmade markings on the tree? Any clearings sized just right for a campsite? Observation cameras set up on different trees? Were the berries just coming in, or were there any getting ripe enough that they'd fall off on their own anyway? Did there sppear to be any burrows in the tree's roots, or nests in the tree's branches?[break][break]

At least while he put his time towards this, Sectonia would be off looking for any other sites of interest.

[break]
[attr="class","skullinfo"]MOBILE POST! /

[googlefont=Oswald]
[googlefont=Roboto]
[/quote]
close tab

played by

SHIV

eli
he/him
may 15
oldale
Bisexual
apothecary
executive
single
5'10" height
5'10" height
awards
620 posts
part of
TAG WITH @elijah
elijah gardner
POSTED ON Jul 12, 2022 0:18:41 GMT
elijah gardner Avatar
 "if it's a grafted tree, it's someone's personal plant project." elijah declares.

he finishes his careful scan and draws his eyes back. exposed like this, with identity and intention bare to the air of the woods, elijah does not risk thievery.

but elijah operates not on rocket's lines, but the gardner code: not to mettle with another's gardening.

"just think it's disrespectful to take from another green thumb's work." elijah crosses his arms. "'sides, i visit here often. i don't want your butterfingers compromising my good will with this wood."

close tab

played by

Wanderer

The Liberator
he/him/his
April 10
Lavaridge Town
Figuring it Out
Penitent
Renegade
awards
4,315 posts
Isaac Merlo DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @isaacmerlo
Isaac Merlo
POSTED ON Jul 12, 2022 0:50:07 GMT
Isaac Merlo Avatar
[nospaces]

[attr="class","skullbody"]"Y'know, that's fair," Isaac admitted. Even in the rather dog-eat-dog atmosphere of Team Rocket, everyone had lines they weren't willing to cross. For Isaac, it was hurting the innocent. For Elijah, it was honoring the work of his peers in his craft. "Everyone's got their Thing. I respect it."[break][break]

And about time, too. Sectonia swooped over to the group, wooping excitably as her wings buzzed up a storm. "That's my girl! What'd you find this time, Sectonia?" Isaac asked, barely even able to finish his words before the Combee zoomed off.[break][break]

What had caught the Combee's eye? Why, it appeared to be some sort of lichen-like growth adhered to the side of a nearby tree. The sweet fragrance and bright yellow caps of some Balm Mushrooms were nestled right in the soft glow of some Luminous Moss. The resulting growths were a lot smaller than full sized Balm Mushrooms tended to grow, but the result of their symbiosis left the golden caps shining like miniature suns. Similarly, the Glow Moss was left with a pleasant, almost cooling scent. How curious.[break][break]

Isaac made sure to double and triple check this tree, looking for any signs of human interference. "This one seems all wild," he observed. "Worth scooping some samples out?"

[break]
[attr="class","skullinfo"]209 WORDS /

[googlefont=Oswald]
[googlefont=Roboto]
close tab

played by

SHIV

eli
he/him
may 15
oldale
Bisexual
apothecary
executive
single
5'10" height
5'10" height
awards
620 posts
part of
TAG WITH @elijah
elijah gardner
POSTED ON Jul 17, 2022 0:20:12 GMT
elijah gardner Avatar
 elijah lets the question settle like mist on moss. in his slow silence, the apothecary offers a stiff lip that eventually erodes into the full swing of a nod.

"looks good to me." elijah says. "careful not to remove the entire patch. leave some behind."

he pulls out a tupperware container from the satchel on his gogoat. peels the plastic blue lid open and extends the empty box. he does not relinquish his grasp should isaac attempt to take it.

"you're chipper. young. why'd you join rocket?"

close tab

played by

Wanderer

The Liberator
he/him/his
April 10
Lavaridge Town
Figuring it Out
Penitent
Renegade
awards
4,315 posts
Isaac Merlo DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @isaacmerlo
Isaac Merlo
POSTED ON Jul 17, 2022 0:36:51 GMT
Isaac Merlo Avatar
[nospaces]

[attr="class","skullbody"]"Right. Make sure there's enough to avoid causing any damage, yeah?" he said. Carefully, Isaac drew a small blade from his pocket, one of the many little tools he'd taken up for this mission. It'd only take a little bit of gentle pressure to scrape some of the moss off of the bark and ease it into Elijah's tupperware. He handled it with the utmost caution all the way, making sure to leave a decent-sized patch adhered to the tree.[break][break]

With that done, Sectonia was back on the prowl. More surprisingly, Elijah had actually asked him a question![break][break]

Why did he join Rocket? "It came . . . recommended," he said. Technically, coercion was no longer an acceptable method of recruitment nowadays. However, that didn't stop it from happening, especially when Zilla explained it as more of a bet than anything. "But, honestly? It's a nice change from the last four years of wandering around Hoenn. I've got people I can count on, for one. A roof over my head and some change in my pocket, too. And at least now I'm standing for something. 'Cause, fuck the League." He didn't agree with all of that something. But the parts he did agree with, he agreed with big time.[break][break]

"How about you?"

[break]
[attr="class","skullinfo"]212 WORDS /

[googlefont=Oswald]
[googlefont=Roboto]
close tab

played by

SHIV

eli
he/him
may 15
oldale
Bisexual
apothecary
executive
single
5'10" height
5'10" height
awards
620 posts
part of
TAG WITH @elijah
elijah gardner
POSTED ON Jul 20, 2022 9:07:02 GMT
elijah gardner Avatar
 vagabonds eventually find their way to rocket. it's the natural order of things. wandering feet, tired of dipping their toes into what they hope is a friendly home, eventually discover the flexibility rocket's umbrella provides.

however, one may question whether rocket is a nurturing parent or a hands-off guardian.

but feeling like you're a part of something is enough in the end. after all, clementines grow seedless when alone.

"rocket liked what i did." elijah says. "what i did with plants. growing them. my old medicines. finally felt appreciated."

he leans against his gogoat. breathes in deep.

"why 'fuck the league'?"

close tab

played by

Wanderer

The Liberator
he/him/his
April 10
Lavaridge Town
Figuring it Out
Penitent
Renegade
awards
4,315 posts
Isaac Merlo DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @isaacmerlo
Isaac Merlo
POSTED ON Jul 20, 2022 12:09:12 GMT
Isaac Merlo Avatar
[nospaces]

[attr="class","skullbody"]"I mean, c'mon. Just look at them. They clearly don't care about anyone who doesn't bring in the big bucks or contribute to the whole gym challenge ecosystem," Isaac said. "Hell, that meteor plan should be enough for anyone. If they're willing to sign an entire world's death warrant to save their own hides, who wouldn't they be willing to chew up and spit out?"[break][break]

It's funny. Before Rocket, Isaac's political opinions topped out at "yeah, the status quo is being pretty shitty, huh?" Turns out joining the combo of an organized crime ring and an insurgent cell left one a lot more aware of what people are fighting for. Who knew?[break][break]

In contrast, Elijah seemed to be contracted in a sense. He had useful skills, Rocket wanted them, boom. Match made in heaven. "Huh, what kinda stuff did you plant to get Rocket's notice?" Isaac asked, unsure just what the answer would be.[break][break]

And Sectonia still had yet to return. Huh. Isaac cast a somewhat concerned glance out to the treeline.

[break]
[attr="class","skullinfo"]MOBILE POST /

[googlefont=Oswald]
[googlefont=Roboto]
close tab

played by

SHIV

eli
he/him
may 15
oldale
Bisexual
apothecary
executive
single
5'10" height
5'10" height
awards
620 posts
part of
TAG WITH @elijah
elijah gardner
POSTED ON Jul 29, 2022 5:22:11 GMT
elijah gardner Avatar
 the man had an answer. didn't hesitate. that's good enough for elijah, at least for now.

elijah adds his own contribution of moss to the tupperware. closes it tight after a spritzing from a squirt bottle in the shape of a lotad.

"i made old medicine. my family business was being shut out." elijah says, nose wrinkling. "defamed. we're frauds and rip-offs, people said. rocket appreciated what i made and what i make now."

but how much of this was true? a stubborn grumble sprawls from underneath his stiff lower lip.

"where's your combee at?"

close tab

played by

Wanderer

The Liberator
he/him/his
April 10
Lavaridge Town
Figuring it Out
Penitent
Renegade
awards
4,315 posts
Isaac Merlo DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @isaacmerlo
Isaac Merlo
POSTED ON Jul 29, 2022 11:59:31 GMT
Isaac Merlo Avatar
[nospaces]

[attr="class","skullbody"]Huh. Somehow, Isaac hadn't seen that answer coming. It made sense, lots of it. Plenty of people joined Rocket because their way of life was pushed to the fringes and they had no other options. But radicalized herbalists taking direct action was the last thing Isaac saw coming.[break][break]

"I swear. You'd think the League's trying to smokescreen us from the meteor sometimes," Isaac said. "Y'know. With all the bridges they're burning. Still, shit. I'm sorry, man. Nobody's name deserves to be run through the mud like that." Frankly, he had no strong opinions on herbs vs modern medicine. Some of it was probably wuackery. Some of it was probably a question of what was easier to profit off of. Far as Isaac cared, whatever worked worked.[break][break]

That said, it was a good question. Where did Sectonia go? "Huh. Hey, Sectonia! Find anything?" Isaac called into the treeline. At first, there was no response. Then, the call and response began, her wingbeats accelerating so that Isaac could better hear them. "C'mon, let's go. She's over that way."[break][break]

It was only a short walk. From there, Isaac would see Sectonia staring, almost transfixed, into a large, red flower. He was confused. It was just an ordinary flower, albeit damn huge. Why so much interest?[break][break]

Maybe a more trained eye would notice the fragments of shattered crystal lining the bloom's center.

[break]

[googlefont=Oswald]
[googlefont=Roboto]
close tab

played by

SHIV

eli
he/him
may 15
oldale
Bisexual
apothecary
executive
single
5'10" height
5'10" height
awards
620 posts
part of
TAG WITH @elijah
elijah gardner
POSTED ON Aug 9, 2022 6:22:42 GMT
elijah gardner Avatar
 bridges have been burned. torn down. brick and plank ripped from rib and spine. however, who threw the first rock? who stoked the first flame?

even elijah has his doubts sometimes.

upon isaac's alert, elijah is quick to follow. the combee's fine thankfully, for the little pokemon is likely a fragile one.

"a crystabloom." elijah almost gasps. "looks like the crystal heart is damaged."

he grumbles. grinds molar against molar.

"we found what we wanted though, isaac. let's harvest." from his pockets, he grabs two pairs of gloves. he hurls the other pair at isaac. lets them slap hard against the other's chest. "might be dangerous. don't want you slicing your little baby hands open."

close tab

played by

Wanderer

The Liberator
he/him/his
April 10
Lavaridge Town
Figuring it Out
Penitent
Renegade
awards
4,315 posts
Isaac Merlo DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @isaacmerlo
Isaac Merlo
POSTED ON Aug 9, 2022 11:57:43 GMT
Isaac Merlo Avatar
[nospaces]

[attr="class","skullbody"]So this was a Crysbloom, huh? "It's a lot bigger than I expected," Isaac admitted. Seriously, even if it wasn't for the literal crystal heart, this thing would've been noteworthy on size and splendor alone. Which is a good thing, too, because damaged was putting the state of that crystal heart likely.[break][break]

Part of him wanted to be offended by the term little baby hands. Part of him couldn't even begin to take it seriously, because holy shit. A third part of him was too busy feeling the burn of the gardener's gloves on his chest, because Elijah apparently had a hell of an arm. Ow. He caught the gloves before gravity took things from here, slipping them onto his hands.[break][break]

"Gonna guess we're harvesting the shards," Isaac said. He didn't discount the possibility of the "petals" being, like, secretly razor sharp panes of crystal. But he was still 99% sure what Elijah wanted him to do. He also knew when working with something this precious, you didn't make a single out of turn movement. Elijah was the expert here, and Isaac would defer to his expertise to the letter.[break][break]

"Though I gotta wonder: the heck could've even broken this thing?"

[break][break]

[break]

[googlefont=Oswald]
[googlefont=Roboto]