Life and Limb [m]

i used to dream in the dark of palisades park

close tab

played by

i used to dream in the dark of palisades park.
awards
0 posts
Deleted DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @Deleted
Deleted
Life and Limb [m]
POSTED ON Jul 23, 2022 2:31:45 GMT
Deleted Avatar
When Wells Prosthetics & Technology established their Hoenn branch, they moved into the top floor of Mauville City, taking up a majority of one section to house their various facilities and departments. Of course, the actual factories were elsewhere in the region, but Mauville was their local headquarters, so that was where Nikita Wells found herself most of the time. That was where she kept her office, an imposing wooden desk in its center, backed by floor-to-ceiling windows that overlooked the inside of the city.

Contrary to most people's expectations, Nikita did decorate her office. A comfortable armchair sat opposite her on the other side of her desk. Against the wall, a vintage wooden table held a record player and hidden storage for an extensive catalogue of records. Above these hung a mirror with an ornate golden frame. On the opposite wall hung a massive painting from Kalos' Romantic era. Two potted peace lilies flanked the painting on the floor.

As the director in Hoenn, Nikita had a packed schedule composed mostly of the same boring meetings. One, however, stood out among the rest: a consultation with one , forwarded to her by a local doctor specializing in amputation and post-op treatment. Apparently, the patient was a boy who had lost an arm and a leg in the past.

Those details had caught her attention. Though an audience with the director was not common for the average customer, Nikita had agreed to meet. Insisted on it, even.

So her assistant had found a free half-hour in her schedule and penciled the boy in for it. He was supposed to arrive any moment. Nikita waited behind her desk, rereading the doctor's report about her imminent visitor in case she had missed any detail.

A knock on the door. Her assistant opened it and let in a short, blonde boy. He stood before her with only one arm.

"Welcome, Arashi," Nikita greeted him once her assistant had exited, closing the door with a soft click. She gestured to the chair across from her. "Please sit."

NOTES
+ Mission: Cut One's Losses
close tab

played by

Ven

duke
he / him / his
twenty
september 10
Enju, Johto
asexual
errand boy
civilian
(눈‸눈)
108 height
108 height
what’re you lookin’ at?
awards
283 posts
part of
TAG WITH @duke
Arashi Akiyama
Life and Limb [m]
POSTED ON Jul 23, 2022 2:44:43 GMT
Arashi Akiyama Avatar

Up until now… he’d been wandering around the region with only one arm, and a creaky leg that he was absolutely sure needed fixing at this point.

Not only did the stub on his knee start hurting a lot more when the weather went bananas (see: rain storms and end of the world shenanigans caused by a black creature) he could tell that his gait was starting to look lopsided. Like there was something definitely wrong with the way he walked.

Unfortunately, though, due to what had gone down at Sootopolis he’d lost his ‘main’ source of transport, and now had to rely on his secondary mode of getting around (Ava the Noivern) due to this.

Not to mention he’d been getting all sorts of weird looks from the people who passed him by, because what did it look like to them? Wasn’t a one-armed kid normal, anyway?

He hadn’t picked up his tool box yet from where he’d left it at the Mauville Gym (seeing as was busy and had borrowed it, whoops) however he did have a copy of the last blueprints he’d drawn up for his prosthetics with him.

(He was sure that was going to blow her top when she found out about his missing arm and the circumstances that happened to cause the loss of said arm, but it was just another normal Tuesday for him at least. At least until she found out. Which he was sure she knew about, by now.)

Several doctor’s appointments later (it really was a shift from being almost nothing to having near-access to every single thing available, all because of what had happened prior to said limb-blasting shenanigans) he somehow had managed to land an appointment with one of the head honchos, he made sure to look his best.

Well, his absolute best with one missing arm, anyway.

So with blueprints in hand, dressed up as nicely as he could—thank hell he still had one more overcoat to wear, the one he usually wore was shredded to bits—he’d made his way into the woman’s office, blinking at the simplicity, but also noticing the finer details of grandeur that were strewn about here and there in a tasteful, decorative manner.

“Thanks,” was the first word out of his mouth, eyes still scanning the entire place before taking the offered seat.

“I—I brought along my blueprints, in case you may be… curious. Sorry if they’re messy, that was from the last time I did my tune-up.”

Which was… a while ago, to say the least.

@nikita
close tab

played by

awards
0 posts
Deleted DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @Deleted
Deleted
Life and Limb [m]
POSTED ON Jul 23, 2022 11:25:23 GMT
Deleted Avatar
He really was just a boy. He couldn't have been much older than she was when she had lost her limbs. A part of her, deep down, trembled for him, wondering what had caused the accident but knowing it would be improper to ask. After all, he may have been born that way, and she would be a fool to make assumptions.

Nikita took a mental note of his lopsided stride as he crossed the room to sit in the indicated chair. So his arm wasn't the only new thing he might need, she observed. Not only that, but the leg prosthetic was a make and model she had never seen before. Was it possible he'd made it himself?

But Arashi was there to speak about the arm. Nikita leaned forward, resting her elbows on her desk. "I would be very interested to see them," she said of his blueprints, though she doubted his designs could hold up against what the WPT team could make, with their wealth of skill and experience.

NOTES
close tab

played by

Ven

duke
he / him / his
twenty
september 10
Enju, Johto
asexual
errand boy
civilian
(눈‸눈)
108 height
108 height
what’re you lookin’ at?
awards
283 posts
part of
TAG WITH @duke
Arashi Akiyama
Life and Limb [m]
POSTED ON Jul 26, 2022 13:14:37 GMT
Arashi Akiyama Avatar

“Give me a few moments,” he began as he got up, balancing the rolled-up blueprints with his remaining hand and limping over to the desk before setting the paper down and pulling at the string.

“Sorry, it’s just—I haven’t had the time to get a replacement in, so I’ve been doing a lot of things one-handed. It’s not easy, especially since…” he trailed off as he smoothed out the paper for her to take a closer look at.

Making sure to lean on his right leg for stability, he pulled his left leg up a bit to alleviate the pressure on it. Ow, had he really grown that much in such a short amount of time? Wait—was he—

“Even my leg’s bothering me,” he admitted quietly a few moments later.

There, on the paper in messy scrawl, was the outline, the plan, of how the little atelier he’d gone to back in Enju had helped him draw up the rough outline for his right arm (and left leg).

“I had some help, because well, you can see,” he continued with an attempt at humor, waving his left hand around. “Once I got the arm in, it was easier to build my leg from scratch. But now… this is a bit… dated. It’s been that long since I last got a replacement in.”

@nikita

close tab

played by

awards
0 posts
Deleted DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @Deleted
Deleted
Life and Limb [m]
POSTED ON Jul 26, 2022 13:59:18 GMT
Deleted Avatar
Nikita frowned as Arashi apologized for his one-handedness. "There's no need for an apology," she said after he'd fallen silent. "None of this is your fault."

Having reassured the boy, she lowered her eyes to the various sheets of paper that defied lying flat on her desk. Absently, she moved her phone and her mug of tea to two of the corners to hold the blueprints down.

The drawings were crude, the designs functional. The fact that Arashi had been able to build and use them told Nikita two things: one, that he was skilled enough — or had skilled enough help — to make ideas into reality; and two, that the limbs had to be simple enough for even an untrained boy to construct.

"How exactly did you make these? When was the last time you updated your hardware?" Nikita asked, firing questions to better understand how she might be able to help her visitor. "How dexterous was your artificial hand?"

In her computer, her Rotom stirred. It swiveled the mounted webcam around and pointed it at Arashi's blueprints.

NOTES
close tab

played by

Ven

duke
he / him / his
twenty
september 10
Enju, Johto
asexual
errand boy
civilian
(눈‸눈)
108 height
108 height
what’re you lookin’ at?
awards
283 posts
part of
TAG WITH @duke
Arashi Akiyama
Life and Limb [m]
POSTED ON Sept 8, 2022 4:31:06 GMT
Arashi Akiyama Avatar

“The last time?” he hummed thoughtfully, his mind flashing back.

Oh, if only he could let that ugly laugh out he’d been suppressing for so long. Well, there was nothing else to it. It was time to be honest.

“I’ll be honest with you—the last time I’ve changed this out was… three years ago. Which was around the same time I got them installed. That’s for my arm at least. My leg’s got it better, though, because I get the chance to upgrade and modify it every six months or so. Growing pains.”

This had obviously skewed his physical proportions, so his arm was definitely shorter than the other and in dire need of an upgrade.

When the question of dexterity was asked, he couldn’t help but crack a grin.

“I used to be right-handed, but I switched to being left-handed after I got it installed. And I can use my right arm almost as normally as my left. I just can’t write with it.”

He wondered what kind of admonition he was going to get after what he shared.

@nikita

close tab

played by

awards
0 posts
Deleted DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @Deleted
Deleted
Life and Limb [m]
POSTED ON Sept 8, 2022 12:16:19 GMT
Deleted Avatar
Listening to Arashi speak, Nikita suppressed a sigh. There was no use scolding him or making him feel bad. Even though he should have sought out professional help from the beginning, it was entirely possible he didn't know who to contact or didn't have the money to pay for regular upgrades and maintenance. Children's prosthetics cost the most simply because they had to constantly buy new ones.

At least he was there now, seeking Nikita's help.

Glancing over at Arashi's file on her computer monitor, she said, "I'm glad you've decided to consult a doctor and have your prosthetics built by Wells. A team of engineers will work with you, using your designs as a base, to develop state-of-the-art prosthetics for your arm and leg. You'll even be able to write with your right hand again, especially if you choose the option to enable Rotom interfacing."

Her own Rotom swiveled the computer monitor around so Arashi could read it. After minimizing the document with his patient info, it launched a presentation depicting an array of false arms made of different materials, their advantages, and their disadvantages.

"You will be able to decide a variety of characteristics, such as material components, how removable your limbs will be, and so on. Thankfully, all of our prosthetics are designed so that you can remove them yourself and do your own everyday maintenance. Large repairs or upgrades, of course, will require you to return to us."

Her tone was clipped, professional. He might have been young, but he was still a paying customer. Nikita watched his face to gauge his reaction.

"Does all that sound agreeable, Arashi?"

NOTES
close tab

played by

Ven

duke
he / him / his
twenty
september 10
Enju, Johto
asexual
errand boy
civilian
(눈‸눈)
108 height
108 height
what’re you lookin’ at?
awards
283 posts
part of
TAG WITH @duke
Arashi Akiyama
Life and Limb [m]
POSTED ON Sept 21, 2022 1:35:27 GMT
Arashi Akiyama Avatar

At the mention of being able to write again with his original arm—he froze up, for the briefest of moments.

“I can—I can do that?” he said in hushed tones. “Write…properly again?”

That was—to be honest, that was mind-blowing, even for him. He blinked, still in shock and disbelief.

“However, doesn’t… doesn’t that mean I’d need a Rotom of my own to power it?” he confirmed, just to make sure they were on the same page. “I’ve seen—how that works with the Rotom phone at least.”

(Wink wink, and his Rotom-Phone.)

He was also wondering if there was a possibility to have—no, wait, he was getting way too ahead of himself.

“Is there—is there like a way to have… no, I don’t think it may be allowed, I was just thinking of an emergency contingency plan just in case I’m too far away from the nearest hub where I can drop by for maintenance.”

And besides, he did have that bank account he was sitting on. He hadn’t told the others yet about what he’d agreed to—well, the Follies who were still around, that is.

Young as he was, he was definitely prepared to shell out for the improvements to his current rudimentary build and set-up. At least that was one thing he could do himself.

@nikita
close tab

played by

awards
0 posts
Deleted DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @Deleted
Deleted
Life and Limb [m]
POSTED ON Sept 21, 2022 12:59:10 GMT
Deleted Avatar
The expression on Arashi's face was more than surprise at the notion of being able to write again; it was disbelief, like it had never occurred to him that technology was capable of restoring such functionality and freedom to his new body. Nikita gave him a slight nod, allowing him to process his emotions without distraction.

Only when he asked about the Rotom did she speak up.

"Yes, you will need to obtain one by the time you have your final fitting in order to qualify for Rotom interfacing. It can be a dangerous feature to install since it means wild Rotoms will be able to enter your arm, but many patients do not regret choosing the option."

On the computer monitor, the option for Rotom interfacing lit up, selected.

"An emergency contingency plan?" Nikita raised an eyebrow at Arashi's next question. "Do you mean a backup arm?"

NOTES
close tab

played by

Ven

duke
he / him / his
twenty
september 10
Enju, Johto
asexual
errand boy
civilian
(눈‸눈)
108 height
108 height
what’re you lookin’ at?
awards
283 posts
part of
TAG WITH @duke
Arashi Akiyama
Life and Limb [m]
POSTED ON Sept 28, 2022 6:43:18 GMT
Arashi Akiyama Avatar

“Something—something like that, you could say,” he admitted quietly.

Now he had something to chase after—an actual goal, to find a Rotom of his own.

It would be a little weird for him to be ambidextrous, but the temptation was there now, and it was just so much to take in. Well, the fact of the matter here being that he could now be able to write again with his proper hand? Without having to resort to chicken scratch for the rest of his life (maybe)?

“Is it possible to have the temporary arm installed first—not the one with the Rotom interface yet, though, since I still have to find one of my own for the other arm?”

This was him picking up and grasping straws now, wondering if it even was possible.

@nikita

close tab

played by

awards
0 posts
Deleted DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @Deleted
Deleted
Life and Limb [m]
POSTED ON Sept 28, 2022 20:57:34 GMT
Deleted Avatar
"Of course. That's not a problem at all," Nikita replied. Rotom made a note on the computer monitor for a second, backup arm. The cost jumped as it recalculated for a second arm.

How the boy was going to afford three prosthetics was beyond Nikita's knowledge, especially if he never had the means to procure a good arm or leg before, but neither was it her business.

"Rotom interfacing is possible for legs as well, but having it in the arm is the more popular choice," she continued. "Considering you're still growing, I would recommend a regular prosthetic for your leg just in case we need to lengthen it in the future. It will be easier to do that without having to rebuild the artificial nerves."

Nikita then went on to explain the process of obtaining the new prosthetics. Arashi would have to come in several times for fittings, get the sockets surgically grafted (unless he wished for his prosthetics to be fully removable), and go through physical therapy for at least six months in order to grow accustomed to his new limbs. However, WPT did not offer physical therapy for their clients; he would have to sort that out with his doctor.

"Do you have any other questions for me, Arashi?" Nikita asked at the end of her lengthy explanation.

NOTES
close tab

played by

Ven

duke
he / him / his
twenty
september 10
Enju, Johto
asexual
errand boy
civilian
(눈‸눈)
108 height
108 height
what’re you lookin’ at?
awards
283 posts
part of
TAG WITH @duke
Arashi Akiyama
Life and Limb [m]
POSTED ON Sept 29, 2022 5:38:04 GMT
Arashi Akiyama Avatar

“Six months?”

Oh, if there was one thing he liked, it was how—how most people underestimated him.

“Moment I got my original prosthetics in, I had three years of physical therapy straight from recovery. I didn’t wait any second sooner even if the people around me told me to, because there was no way I was going to let what happened get to me. Three years may be a bit of a stretch, but you do understand—Enju is very out of the way of the bigger places back where I come from, so I made do with as much time as I was allowed.”

His determination was literally burning bright.

(And truth be told, he was sure that , oh dear mother of his, wasn’t going to mind him dipping into his ‘inheritance’ just to get his own limbs fixed. It was an investment in the long run, after all.)

“That’s the plan with my leg at least,” he added with a nod.

“I know I’m at the end of my growth spurt but who knows if I do get a last burst before I tap out!” he barked with laughter.

At least now he didn’t have to fly so far out to get his shit fixed.

@nikita

close tab

played by

awards
0 posts
Deleted DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @Deleted
Deleted
Life and Limb [m]
POSTED ON Sept 29, 2022 18:45:22 GMT
Deleted Avatar
Arashi's determination was certainly inspiring, though it coaxed little more than a polite smile from Nikita. She knew a youth's energy and vitality knew few boundaries. If he believed he could do it, then he could do it.

Inwardly, she was glad for Arashi, that loss of his limbs had not dampened his spirit. Not in any way she could see, at least. Not at that moment.

"Excellent. Then I believe our appointment has reached its end," Nikita said with a decisively conclusive tone. Her Rotom swiveled the computer's monitor back toward her so she could review the notes on the screen. "You may take your blueprints back with you, but please bring them again during your first fitting, so that our designers may review them. We will be in touch with you to schedule that appointment."

She bade Arashi farewell and waited for him to leave her office. When he was gone and the door closed once more, she sat back in her chair and sighed.

"I'll never get used to it, Rotom," she murmured. "Seeing children in that situation. Let's do our best for him, hmm?"

Still in her computer, Rotom chirped its affirmative response.

NOTES
close tab

played by

SHIV

GONGAGER
he/him
October 13
GONGAGA
gongaga-romantic
gongager
gongago
me?
gongaga
808 height
808 height
WHERE ARE UNOVA REMAKES
awards
39,026 posts
shiv DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @shiv
shiv
Life and Limb [m]
POSTED ON Sept 30, 2022 23:40:53 GMT
shiv Avatar
[nospaces]
[attr="class","TRAINER"]
[attr="class","omaccepted"]
[attr="class","omacceptedtop"]MISSION COMPLETE!

[attr="class","omacceptedmid"]

YOU RECEIVE THE REWARDS BELOW:[break]

[attr="class","omacceptedlinks"]
[attr="class","omacceptedlinks1"]TAGS:
@nikita