awards
3,795 posts
part of
TAG WITH @lars
Laurence Anderson
checking in [s][c]
POSTED ON Nov 17, 2022 1:13:11 GMT
Laurence Anderson Avatar

After that little escapade that was aired all over the Hoennian airwaves, he… he had a feeling something was going to go down.

And that a check-in with one particular Ranger Captain would be coming in at an opportune time.

I mean, tell me if there’s another Maher running around I don’t know about, he thought as he made his way to Rustboro from Verdanturf via the Rusturf Tunnel (and he didn’t take the motorcycle this time) in record time.

Sometime later, he’d managed to find the Rustoboro Ranger Outpost, hoping the Ranger Captain of the city was there.

(And had time to talk with him about these developments.)

close tab

played by

mad

bo
he/him
thirty-one
august 12th
rustboro
bisexual
farmer?
retired ranger captain
BROKEN GLASS IN EVERY TREE
awards
1,098 posts
boruta maher DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @boruta
boruta maher
checking in [s][c]
POSTED ON Nov 17, 2022 4:01:05 GMT
boruta maher Avatar

though lars might not have been aware, there were several mahers running around. in fact, it was a fairly well-known name in rustboro. the three maher boys, boruta and his twin brothers and , had done well in sports during school, and had gone on to do great things. caden had become a successful doctor. bo and cian had been making their names in the league. 

they were not unknowns, at least in their own city, which made it all the more shocking for the public to learn the dark history that no one had been aware of.

bo would be exactly where his boss sought to find him. he looked up from the work at his desk, utterly solemn. nothing changed in his expression, but his heart sunk.

he’d been waiting for this, only wondering how long it would take to happen.

”sir.”
close tab

played by

Ven

Lars
he / him / his
thirty-two
july 26
Sootopolis, Hoenn
don’t know, don’t care
ranger & courier
ex-head ranger
tonight
is gonna be the loneliest
1210 height
1210 height
nessuno vince.
awards
3,795 posts
part of
TAG WITH @lars
Laurence Anderson
checking in [s][c]
POSTED ON Nov 17, 2022 8:22:18 GMT
Laurence Anderson Avatar

“Hey,” he began quietly once he’d closed the door behind him.

He’d done a little back reading here and there about well-known people within Rustboro, and realized that—well, there was more than one Maher running around.

(Of course, he was unaware that he’d already met one of the other brothers, hello there .)

“What’s the matter,” he continued as he crossed the room and took one of the seats near the desk. “You look like the world took a shit on you.”

close tab

played by

mad

bo
he/him
thirty-one
august 12th
rustboro
bisexual
farmer?
retired ranger captain
awards
1,098 posts
boruta maher DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @boruta
boruta maher
checking in [s][c]
POSTED ON Nov 17, 2022 10:09:33 GMT
boruta maher Avatar

what’s the matter? what kind of question was that?

bo peered up at him skeptically. he supposed if lars really didn’t know what had happened, there was no point in dragging out the inevitable. he would find out, sooner than later.

but it was in the quietness of his greeting, in the way he took a seat for the conversation ahead. he knew.

”i guess i figure you might be here to fire me.”

and that was hardly the worst of it.
close tab

played by

Ven

Lars
he / him / his
thirty-two
july 26
Sootopolis, Hoenn
don’t know, don’t care
ranger & courier
ex-head ranger
tonight
1210 height
1210 height
nessuno vince.
awards
3,795 posts
part of
TAG WITH @lars
Laurence Anderson
checking in [s][c]
POSTED ON Nov 28, 2022 19:35:16 GMT
Laurence Anderson Avatar

“What makes you think I’m going to fire you?”

Those were the first words out of his mouth.

“I’m not a dumbass to turn someone away just because of skeletons in the closet—never mind if it’s a shared family closet either,” he continued.

For all that he was, he himself knew that there was something on the other man’s mind.

“It’s about your brother, isn’t it?” he confirmed.

He then rubbed the back of his neck.

“Look, I’m not going to kick someone out of a job just because of what a family member did. If you need anything—let me know.”

Was it because he was speaking from experience? Definitely.

close tab

played by

mad

bo
he/him
thirty-one
august 12th
rustboro
bisexual
farmer?
retired ranger captain
awards
1,098 posts
boruta maher DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @boruta
boruta maher
checking in [s][c]
POSTED ON Dec 5, 2022 10:15:28 GMT
boruta maher Avatar

the question was a big surprise. how could he not be fired? exactly what deal had struck with the league, anyways? if only they’d known exactly what he’d done. then, surely, it’d be over for him.

then, bo realized perhaps lars hadn’t heard the whole story, the bit about the whole family being in rocket. the relief fell right back out of his chest. what now? wait until he found out?

he opted to rip off the bandaid.

”you listen to the whole thing? my whole family was in. me included.” he paused, eyes dropping to his desk. ”i left three years ago, before i joined the rangers. i’ve done everything since then to make up for it, but… can only run from the past for so long, right?”
close tab

played by

Ven

Lars
he / him / his
thirty-two
july 26
Sootopolis, Hoenn
don’t know, don’t care
ranger & courier
ex-head ranger
tonight
1210 height
1210 height
nessuno vince.
awards
3,795 posts
part of
TAG WITH @lars
Laurence Anderson
checking in [s][c]
POSTED ON Dec 5, 2022 15:29:40 GMT
Laurence Anderson Avatar

Ah, so his suspicions were right after all.

Dirty family secrets.

“Look, it takes balls to just up—and leave. There’re several others who’re part of the Rangers who… well, let me just say that they also came from Rocket and left when they could. Before they got in too deep.”

While he wasn’t going to name them outright, the ones he was well-aware of were well-known within the ranks. Who knew if there were more just hiding their status from the public?

“I…” he dropped off, realizing that what he was about to say was something risky.

“I know how it feels. Like… y’know… having family on the opposite side.”

He bristled at the thought. No way in hell his ol’ man was just that… an ol’ man.

There was something definitely off about the one he was thinking of.

close tab

played by

mad

bo
he/him
thirty-one
august 12th
rustboro
bisexual
farmer?
retired ranger captain
awards
1,098 posts
boruta maher DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @boruta
boruta maher
checking in [s][c]
POSTED ON Dec 11, 2022 16:59:08 GMT
boruta maher Avatar

bo had known of one or two ex-rocket rangers, but they had all been under his rank. he hadn’t known about ’s past. now, the man who had put faith in him would know of his own. he dreaded any judgment, and all the feelings of an imposter. had he lied, for not telling the whole truth? for taking trust that was undeserved?

even though he’d known of a former-rocket presence, he had not expected the head ranger to also be aware of it—and much less to be related to someone also involved.

who was it? what was the relation?

”you do?” the surprise in his voice was evident, a small break in his moroseness.
close tab

played by

Ven

Lars
he / him / his
thirty-two
july 26
Sootopolis, Hoenn
don’t know, don’t care
ranger & courier
ex-head ranger
tonight
1210 height
1210 height
nessuno vince.
awards
3,795 posts
part of
TAG WITH @lars
Laurence Anderson
checking in [s][c]
POSTED ON Dec 16, 2022 11:36:40 GMT
Laurence Anderson Avatar

He nodded quietly.

“Thing is, he hasn’t been around Hoenn until recently. I don’t know if you’ve heard of , or,” he trailed off to let a derisive snort out, “…he calls himself ‘Father Bill’ these days.”

The scorn was evident in his voice.

“You know about the church that blew up in Evergrande some time ago?” he asked the other. Who knew if Boruta kept up with news that was out of the ordinary. But he felt that it was… an important part of what he had to share.

close tab

played by

mad

bo
he/him
thirty-one
august 12th
rustboro
bisexual
farmer?
retired ranger captain
awards
1,098 posts
boruta maher DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @boruta
boruta maher
checking in [s][c]
POSTED ON Dec 21, 2022 1:08:11 GMT
boruta maher Avatar

he shook his head. ”no, i don’t talk to any of them anymore.” and that lie was so easy, it came out of his mouth before he could even think about it. maybe it was a maher thing.

he didn’t know who father bill was, though. that much was true.

”yeah.” pretty much all bo did at home was watch the news and the battle channels. If nothing else, he was up to date on the going-ons.

”did he do it?”
close tab

played by

Ven

Lars
he / him / his
thirty-two
july 26
Sootopolis, Hoenn
don’t know, don’t care
ranger & courier
ex-head ranger
tonight
1210 height
1210 height
nessuno vince.
awards
3,795 posts
part of
TAG WITH @lars
Laurence Anderson
checking in [s][c]
POSTED ON Dec 22, 2022 12:07:46 GMT
Laurence Anderson Avatar

“See, here’s the thing—don’t you find it strange that there’s a church all the way out there, so far from the mainland, and then it was just, blown up? From out of nowhere? And then there were calls to have the church rebuilt. Where did the money come from though?”

If there was one thing he was quite certain of, at least—compared to Alto Mare where anything and everything cultural was protected by the government, he wasn’t so sure if they would immediately throw funds when there were more pressing matters to be dealt with elsewhere.

And then he remembered something else.

“There was a time he was on the Council, serving as ‘liaison’ at ho—in Sootopolis after it was taken over by the Rockets,” he continued.

“Thing is, though, he appeared to be too friendly with the Rockets around there.”

close tab

played by

mad

bo
he/him
thirty-one
august 12th
rustboro
bisexual
farmer?
retired ranger captain
awards
1,098 posts
boruta maher DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @boruta
boruta maher
checking in [s][c]
POSTED ON Dec 22, 2022 19:28:18 GMT
boruta maher Avatar

”yeah, that’s a good question.” where had the money come from? bo was no detective, but he assumed that piggy bank had been empty for a long while.

now that lars mentioned it, he did remember the brief time during which bill anderson had filled the council seat. he had never thought anything of it, and known close to nothing about the man—until now.

it was not surprising that this could happen in hoenn. all bo had to do was turn a mirror on himself. he thought of the smiles, though rare, he’d had at that bar in sootopolis, drinking beer with a family friend.

the reflection he wished to shatter like glass merely rippled under his efforts, the deceptive face of a bottomless pool he could never hope to empty.

”so… how’d you find out? or is it still just, y’know, suspicions?”
close tab

played by

Ven

Lars
he / him / his
thirty-two
july 26
Sootopolis, Hoenn
don’t know, don’t care
ranger & courier
ex-head ranger
tonight
1210 height
1210 height
nessuno vince.
awards
3,795 posts
part of
TAG WITH @lars
Laurence Anderson
checking in [s][c]
POSTED ON Jan 13, 2023 11:34:38 GMT
Laurence Anderson Avatar

“I’m currently looking into things myself, even if it means going through my own dirty family laundry at the same time,” he replied with a shudder.

His point about the money for rebuilding was solid, though—where had it come from? He knew as much as the next native Alto Marean that religions structures ran on mostly donations (and a little help from the cultural section of the government, if the option was available. Well in Alto Mare it was available by default).

“I do remember, though. Before I left home the first time. He always had a lot of seedy-looking figures over late in the evenings. And I’m sure they weren’t Sootopolian locals, I knew most of the locals up until the time I left. The frequent guests he had over didn’t look like any bourgeoisie that our part of the neighborhood was known for.”

close tab

played by

mad

bo
he/him
thirty-one
august 12th
rustboro
bisexual
farmer?
retired ranger captain
awards
1,098 posts
boruta maher DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @boruta
boruta maher
checking in [s][c]
POSTED ON Jan 22, 2023 6:39:22 GMT
boruta maher Avatar

seedy-looking.

”ah.”

he twiddled his thumbs briefly, looking around his desk as though for the next proper thing to say. truthfully, he wanted to stand and walk out. to go home, and perhaps go to sleep finally, for a very long, long time, and deal with this next month—or never.

but it was happening. karma was here. this wasn’t judgment, lars claimed, but wasn’t it? had to be. he would always be a criminal. there was no escaping the past.

”i’m sorry to hear about your family, lars. i hope you get answers soon.” but really, if he knew anything, it was that some answers didn’t do anyone any good.
close tab

played by

Ven

Lars
he / him / his
thirty-two
july 26
Sootopolis, Hoenn
don’t know, don’t care
ranger & courier
ex-head ranger
tonight
1210 height
1210 height
nessuno vince.
awards
3,795 posts
part of
TAG WITH @lars
Laurence Anderson
checking in [s][c]
POSTED ON Jan 26, 2023 14:21:08 GMT
Laurence Anderson Avatar

“I don’t care if the answers I find are ugly, as long as I can get absolute confirmation then that’s fine with me… as it is, I’m currently the ‘head’ of the family and I have a lot of cousins to look out for.”

Which was saying something because who knew if his idiota brother was returning to the area now that the dome around it was gone.

“Look, if it helps—I’m not going to take your work away from you as long as I’m here. I’ll make sure of it. Just… you know, continue putting in the hours and all that. You’ve done a lot for Rustboro, and at large as well. Everyone makes mistakes, and even if there’s this feeling of unworthiness when asking for forgiveness for whatever it is you did back there with them—I know you’d not want to get involved in that mess again, because I know you… you have family too, right?”

And the rest of the sentence went unsaid.

WRITE REPLY

QUICK REPLY

it's a long life full of long nights