awards
640 posts
part of
TAG WITH @willow
willow atkins
celosia [masque]
POSTED ON Dec 26, 2022 3:30:06 GMT
willow atkins Avatar

there are looks. there are snickers. somewhere along the way, someone stops her and has to repeat their question several times before she can understand what they're saying. finally, sheepishly, she hands her empty glassware back. with nothing to do with her hands, she fiddles with her mask. 

lance's own is in her other, dangling by a string, still damp and sticky from the bubbles. 

after a decent amount of distance, she's forgotten to the rest of the going-ons and their minor interruption is overshadowed by the next brilliant thing to occupy simple minds. she scours the halls and eventually finds him on the balcony. 

it's quieter out here; only a few other couples sway drunkenly to what music drifts outside. she wraps her arms around herself and joins him under a standing heater. holds the mask out in a peace offering. 

"can i ask why?" she says.
close tab

played by

noodles

lance
he/him
thirty-one
october 8th
twinleaf
straight
ranger
lilycove captain
334 height
334 height
lower than i thought we'd go, why'd the guilt spread so slow?
awards
1,434 posts
part of
TAG WITH @lance
LANCE VOLLANS
celosia [masque]
POSTED ON Dec 27, 2022 11:27:08 GMT
LANCE VOLLANS Avatar
[nospaces]
[attr="class","revivedpog"]
[attr="class","top"]

it's only after he reaches the balcony, left to the privacy of his own anger and shame and guilt (what little of it) does he realize he's wet from the champagne being tossed at him. knowing it was flung by willow made it more bearable. less frustrating.[break][break]

he cools off in the silence, not really making eye contact with anyone. not until she joins him by the heater.[break][break]

"hey."[break][break]

he nods, reaching out for the mask but not slipping it on.[break][break]

"we, uh, chatted a bit. made small talk and eventually got to the topic of his past."[break][break]

his hands smooth over the material of the mask; an idle gesture to help coax the words out.[break][break]

"i called him out on it, one thing led to another, and here we are."

[attr="class","ooc"][break]

[attr="class","pkspr pkmn-shedinja"]

[newclass=".revivedpog"]--accent:#d49736; [/newclass]

[newclass=".revivedpog blockquote"]width:350px; margin:0px auto; font-size:12px; line-height:15px; border-radius:0px 0px 10px 10px; border-top:none; padding:30px 50px; [/newclass]

[newclass=".revivedpog blockquote b, .pizzabox blockquote i"]color:var(--accent) [/newclass]

[newclass=".revivedpog .top"]background-color:var(--accent); padding:10px; height:15px; background-image:url(https://image.ibb.co/dMFuMc/flower.png); background-repeat:no-repeat;background-position:bottom right; width:430px; margin:0px auto; border:1px solid #232323; [/newclass]

[newclass=".revivedpog .ooc"]border-top:1px solid #222; padding-top:15px; text-align:center; margin-top:15px; [/newclass]

[newclass=".revivedpog .ooc a"]font:bold 15px 'Poppins';[/newclass]

close tab

played by

crow

will
she/her
twenty-nine
november 12
rustboro
heterosexual
horticulturist
civilian
we sewed all the holes we had to breathe
awards
640 posts
part of
TAG WITH @willow
willow atkins
celosia [masque]
POSTED ON Dec 27, 2022 21:32:12 GMT
willow atkins Avatar

willow wishes she had another glass of champagne in hand - one, to settle her nerves and two, to have something to do with her hands. she places them on the iron railing, but that's a mistake. it's cold to the touch and her fingers stick so she pulls them back again and hugs herself, bracing her back against it instead. 

guilt crawls through her (but it's not as much if she had gone to the slice with bo...). 

"called him out? lance, the past is the past. he's a different man now." she thinks of those glowing, smoldering eyes, far-flung somewhere else. she shivers. "you're both captains so it's not like you even work together very often, right?"

granted, she has very little understanding of how the ranger hierarchy works.
close tab

played by

noodles

lance
he/him
thirty-one
october 8th
twinleaf
straight
ranger
lilycove captain
334 height
334 height
awards
1,434 posts
part of
TAG WITH @lance
LANCE VOLLANS
celosia [masque]
POSTED ON Jan 2, 2023 10:35:31 GMT
LANCE VOLLANS Avatar
[nospaces]
[attr="class","top"]

"the past isn't in the past, though, not when the mahers have been a big fucking thorn in rocket's side."[break][break]

he doesn't mean to swear but it slips out in the heat of the moment. he bites his tongue a little too late, sighing after in an attempt to calm down.[break][break]

they do work together very often, actually, but he's not about to correct her.[break][break]

"i'm just worried about you and roman."

[newclass=".revivedpog blockquote"]width:350px; margin:0px auto; font-size:12px; line-height:15px; border-radius:0px 0px 10px 10px; border-top:none; padding:30px 50px; [/newclass]

[newclass=".revivedpog blockquote b, .pizzabox blockquote i"]color:var(--accent) [/newclass]

[newclass=".revivedpog .top"]background-color:var(--accent); padding:10px; height:15px; background-image:url(https://image.ibb.co/dMFuMc/flower.png); background-repeat:no-repeat;background-position:bottom right; width:430px; margin:0px auto; border:1px solid #232323; [/newclass]

[newclass=".revivedpog .ooc"]border-top:1px solid #222; padding-top:15px; text-align:center; margin-top:15px; [/newclass]

close tab

played by

crow

will
she/her
twenty-nine
november 12
rustboro
heterosexual
horticulturist
civilian
awards
640 posts
part of
TAG WITH @willow
willow atkins
celosia [masque]
POSTED ON Jan 2, 2023 18:35:04 GMT
willow atkins Avatar

it's coming from a place of worry and she can forgive that, but only after a couple of heartbeats. only after she searches his face and remembers their first date, remembers that he lost his own. her hands are cold, despite the heater, but she raises them anyway. 

gently cups his face, avoiding the cuts and bruises from bo's fists. a shiver runs through her. 

"i know you are, but we can hold our own. the truth is out there now and there's nothing we can do to change that. all we can do is grow - like bo has."

she bites her lip. "my life is messy, lance. especially right now. he's roman's father and he has to be in the picture. and if you want to be part of this with me, you have to be okay with that."
close tab

played by

noodles

lance
he/him
thirty-one
october 8th
twinleaf
straight
ranger
lilycove captain
334 height
334 height
awards
1,434 posts
part of
TAG WITH @lance
LANCE VOLLANS
celosia [masque]
POSTED ON Jan 3, 2023 6:02:24 GMT
LANCE VOLLANS Avatar
[nospaces]
[attr="class","top"]

the sting from the cuts and bruises is bitter though it does fade a little under her touch. as tense as he still is, he finds himself leaning into her hand, sighing as he does so.[break][break]

"i do want to be part of this. i do want to be with you."[break][break]

but does he truly want that? or is he simply choosing this because it's familiar? because it hides away the hurt and pain from his own loss. maybe that's why the situation with upsets him this much. because it deviates from the vision he had in his head.[break][break]

"when did you find out about his past? did he tell you?"[break][break]

or was it from cian's interview? he wonders.

close tab

played by

crow

will
she/her
twenty-nine
november 12
rustboro
heterosexual
horticulturist
civilian
awards
640 posts
part of
TAG WITH @willow
willow atkins
celosia [masque]
POSTED ON Jan 3, 2023 6:38:52 GMT
willow atkins Avatar

it warms her and despite the downturn the night has taken, despite his bruised face, she finds herself smiling. i do want to be with you. spoken plainly and earnestly with no room for doubt. she could kiss him for it, if she wasn't afraid of opening up his split lip. 

here and now she knows she did the right thing by walking away. now she won't have to skirt around the truth, explain away the accompanying thump-thump-thumping of her heart. 

"he told me last week, before i saw the news." she shifts, fingers curling and dropping to his chest. blue-green eyes glance away, out over the balcony. "i took lou out to stretch his legs and went to rustboro. some dumb kids painted graffiti on his house and, well, it all kind of came out."

and then you cancelled on me for dinner, she thinks unbidden and she knows she's not being fair. so she doesn't say it. 

"but it's okay. like i said, we atkins hold our own. you don't have to worry about me, alright? i'm more worried about you. first a meteor and now all these rifts everywhere?"
close tab

played by

noodles

lance
he/him
thirty-one
october 8th
twinleaf
straight
ranger
lilycove captain
334 height
334 height
awards
1,434 posts
part of
TAG WITH @lance
LANCE VOLLANS
celosia [masque]
POSTED ON Jan 3, 2023 7:43:39 GMT
LANCE VOLLANS Avatar
[nospaces]
[attr="class","top"]

did bo know, then? about the news that his own brother was about to break? surely he did. they are brothers, after all. which would mean that the only reason bo told her then was that she would've found out otherwise.[break][break]

saved his own ass. selfish.[break][break]

unselfishly, lance lets the topic pass.[break][break]

"ah i'll be fine. i've survived worse."[break][break]

his hand raises to hers.[break][break]

"i'm, uh, sorry. i know this wasn't the night you had planned."

close tab

played by

crow

will
she/her
twenty-nine
november 12
rustboro
heterosexual
horticulturist
civilian
awards
640 posts
part of
TAG WITH @willow
willow atkins
celosia [masque]
POSTED ON Jan 3, 2023 21:39:33 GMT
willow atkins Avatar

"it's alright," she replies with a sigh as his hand covers hers. as annoying and shocking as it was, as much as it changed the trajectory of their night, she at least had a pleasant time beforehand. 

she also opts not to tell lance about her dance with

instead: "i'm just sad we never got a dance together. i was looking forward to it." there's no way she's traipsing back onto the dance floor after fleeing the scene. hell, she doesn't know if she can face bo right now.
close tab

played by

noodles

lance
he/him
thirty-one
october 8th
twinleaf
straight
ranger
lilycove captain
334 height
334 height
awards
1,434 posts
part of
TAG WITH @lance
LANCE VOLLANS
celosia [masque]
POSTED ON Jan 6, 2023 17:06:52 GMT
LANCE VOLLANS Avatar
[nospaces]
[attr="class","top"]

there's no way he's traipsing back there either when he's most likely now banned from the event. in fact, he wonders why he hasn't been kicked out yet. maybe they lost him and now can't find him?[break][break]

either way, the suggestion comes easily.[break][break]

"well, it's not too late."[break][break]

he turns to face her, and with his other hand, he reaches out to her hip. the song is still audible even from this far away but how soft it is just adds to the scene.[break][break]

"will you dance with me, willow?"

close tab

played by

crow

will
she/her
twenty-nine
november 12
rustboro
heterosexual
horticulturist
civilian
awards
640 posts
part of
TAG WITH @willow
willow atkins
celosia [masque]
POSTED ON Jan 7, 2023 1:29:07 GMT
willow atkins Avatar

it's not the dance she wanted. it's not the dance she should have had. she blames herself for not finding him sooner, for taking 's hand instead of his and tugging him away from a fight before it could have been fought. 

but here he offers her a hand, despite the bruises on his face. he is here - he is accepting her, despite everything that comes with her. breathless, feeling a fool, she takes it and finds a comfort in the way she fits against him. a remnant from their dances in her kitchen.

"sometimes i wonder why you stick around," she says gently, suddenly. "i just...it's a lot. and i know it can be hard for you."
close tab

played by

noodles

lance
he/him
thirty-one
october 8th
twinleaf
straight
ranger
lilycove captain
334 height
334 height
awards
1,434 posts
part of
TAG WITH @lance
LANCE VOLLANS
celosia [masque]
POSTED ON Jan 7, 2023 10:04:27 GMT
LANCE VOLLANS Avatar
[nospaces]
[attr="class","top"]

"i wonder the same thing about you sometimes."[break][break]

it does not come from a place of self-doubt or any insecurities. just simple logistics. he works a job that is dangerous, one that puts him at risk every time he goes out on the field. he lives in lilycove while she lives in fallarbor, and neither one of them have made any plans on moving.[break][break]

sometimes, he feels as though their relationship doesn't sense on paper. but he's overcome worse odds.[break][break]

"i know i'm not the best partner, will. i work a lot and we barely see each other."[break][break]

he sways to the music.[break][break]

"but i am trying."

close tab

played by

crow

will
she/her
twenty-nine
november 12
rustboro
heterosexual
horticulturist
civilian
awards
640 posts
part of
TAG WITH @willow
willow atkins
celosia [masque]
POSTED ON Jan 8, 2023 5:15:31 GMT
willow atkins Avatar

she's been alone for so long, maybe that's why it's alright. she's comfortable with solitude. her isolation is a paradise when she's amidst her flowers and her pokemon. and they don't really have their ups and downs. it's easy, despite their conflicting schedules. it's comfortable. it works. 

it's something to ground her in the rest of all this crazy and for that, she's thankful. 

"i know you're trying," she says and she twirls in his arms, drawing them around herself as she presses her back against him. hip to hip, cheek to neck (he's tall, damn it). 

"that's why i like you so much. that and you're pretty easy on the eyes." she peeks up at him with a smug smile.
close tab

played by

noodles

lance
he/him
thirty-one
october 8th
twinleaf
straight
ranger
lilycove captain
334 height
334 height
awards
1,434 posts
part of
TAG WITH @lance
LANCE VOLLANS
celosia [masque]
POSTED ON Jan 8, 2023 17:05:14 GMT
LANCE VOLLANS Avatar
[nospaces]
[attr="class","top"]

for the first time tonight, he feels content with her in his arms and them dancing to a song he swears he only hears at events like this.[break][break]

"you're not so bad either, atkins."[break][break]

he returns the smug smile easily.[break][break]

"i'll fly out to fallarbor more often. spend more time with you and ro. take him out hiking, maybe. would he even like that?"

close tab

played by

crow

will
she/her
twenty-nine
november 12
rustboro
heterosexual
horticulturist
civilian
awards
640 posts
part of
TAG WITH @willow
willow atkins
celosia [masque]
POSTED ON Jan 8, 2023 23:05:13 GMT
willow atkins Avatar

"really?" she asks, brightening. "that'd be...really nice actually." it matters if he follows through with it. actions speak louder than words, 's voice reminds her. but she chooses to believe it, and to believe in him. what else is there but to find joy in promises? 

"i honestly don't know. he hates doing anything on the farm except pissing off the tauros. bo's been teaching him kickboxing and he loves that so something physical might work.

"and maybe you can try to teach him our language."
because he most certainly has never had any interest in the language of flowers from her. granted, it does allow her to leave passive aggressive stems on top of his playstation when he's particularly annoying. (like fish geranium)