hellbent [gym]
POSTED ON Jul 10, 2019 18:05:42 GMT
Bailey Cooper Avatar
[nospaces]

[attr="class","frlastcont"]
[attr="class","frlastconttop"]
[attr="class","frlastcontimg"]

[attr="class","frlastcontlyric"]

I GOT A BEAST THAT CALLS MY NAME. YEAH, IT COMES IN THE NIGHT AND IT AIN'T SATISFIED TILL WE'RE BOTH GOING UP IN FLAMES. IT IS THE BLOOD THAT I BLEED, IT IS THE LOVE THAT I NEED, AND IT IS ALL OUT OF MY CONTROL, AND IT AIN'T SOMETHING YOU CAN SAVE.

[attr="class","frlastcontmid"]

[attr="class","frlastcontparty"]
[attr="class","frlastcontpoke"]

“She's persistent,” Bailey would mutter under her breath, having heard metal sound shouted for the past two rounds of combat. It was clear what Cait Alfric was trying to do—stalling was a strategy that the Sergeant knew very well, but this was all wrong.[break][break]

There was no such thing as a courtesy hit. The gym leader could keep repeating these tactics; but, it would continue like this, because she had thought the typing of her pokemon would be enough to secure victory.[break][break]

A stalling match was supposed to be more than this—where were the moves intended to disable? The status afflictions? The defensive moves? An effective staller would seek to eliminate options that their opponent could utilize. It was intended to present the enemy with a wall that would seem impossible to climb, because each option was slowly being eliminated.[break][break]

Thus far, Cait seemed to be banking on Crobat's limited moveset as a method of victory. Without poison, this would be drawn out and ugly, but it would not mean it was hopeless.[break][break]

Far from it—the girl should have banked on a pokemon with an electric move.[break][break]

Confusion Ray had finally struck.[break][break]

First, this gym leader stuck with straight forward attacks with her Granbull that were easy to predict. Now, it was the same story. It was the type of artificial chunkiness that came from a trainer that had to dictate every move to their pokemon—the pauses, the transitions, that were all easy to exploit.[break][break]

When Cait shouted her move, they could all hear it.[break][break]

used to whistle. would stand back and watch. These were the ways that these trainers carried themselves into battle.[break][break]

Bailey Cooper had her own code words—her own moments of silence—and other indirect ways of dictating her commands, because that was what experienced trainers used.[break][break]

Crobat had his own tactics, similar to her Darmanitan, that allowed him to shine without constant supervision. “You're being too straight-forward,” and Bailey's violet gaze would almost seem to reflect Cait's own as they cut through the dark. [break][break]

Violet like violence.[break][break]

“I've heard good things about you, kid. I've been told that you got a talent for this,” but the inexperience was still there for Bailey to see. “But we're playing a different kind of game.”[break][break]

The victory star ached—her hand twisted into the fabric of her shirt, right at the collar bone, where the V upon her chest burned. It was only for a moment. It was only a reminder.[break][break]

More haze. The black fog would billow from the growing cloud, crawling and oozing itself forward.[break][break]

The Mirror Shot would fall into the dark, letting the tide turn. Slowly, but surely, Bailey Cooper had taken back control.

[attr="class","frlastconttag2"]
[attr="class","frlastconttag"]FOR

PHARAOH LEAP CREATES

[googlefont=Quattrocento Sans:400,700]
[newclass=.frlastcont]padding:0px 0px 35px 0px;border-top:solid 25px #999999;border-bottom:solid 5px #999999;background-color:#242424;width:400px;color:#999999;text-align:justify;text-transform:lowercase;[/newclass]
[newclass=.frlastconttop]height:50px;padding:35px;overflow:hidden;background-color:#1b1b1b;[/newclass]
[newclass=.frlastcontimg]height:50px;width:50px;border-radius:100px;float:left;margin-right:20px;[/newclass]
[newclass=.frlastcontimg img]height:50px;width:50px;border-radius:100%;[/newclass]
[newclass=.frlastcontlyric]padding:5px 0px;font:10px quattrocento sans;line-height:10px;color:#505050;text-transform:uppercase;[/newclass]
[newclass=.frlastcontmid]padding:35px;font:10px quattrocento sans;line-height:12px;letter-spacing:.3px;[/newclass]
[newclass=.frlastcontmid b]color:#eeeeee;border-bottom:solid 1px #191919;[/newclass]
[newclass=.frlastcontmid i]font:bold 10px quattrocento sans;color:#dddddd;font-style:italic;[/newclass]
[newclass=.frlastconttag]padding:13px;background-color:#191919;font:bold 9px quattrocento sans;text-transform:uppercase;line-height:9px;float:right;color:#999999;[/newclass]
[newclass=.frlastconttag a]font:bold 9px quattrocento sans;line-height:9px;color:#999999!important;[/newclass]
[newclass=.frlastconttag2]height:35px;margin:-10px 35px 0px 0px;[/newclass]
[newclass=.frlastcontpoke]height:40px;width:40px;border-radius:100px;background:#191919;padding:1px;display:inline-block;margin-left:3px;[/newclass]
[newclass=.frlastcontparty]float:right; display:block;margin-top:-60px;[/newclass]
close tab

played by

y o y o

cai
she/her
twenty-three
may 15
fortree
bisexual
herbalist
civilian
sénon game
engaged
596 height
596 height
slithers of wistful window gazes glint in borrowed light
awards
2,558 posts
cait alfric DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @cait
cait alfric
hellbent [gym]
POSTED ON Jul 10, 2019 18:21:14 GMT
cait alfric Avatar
cait had been battling for less than a year - and she supposed it showed. but she hadn't miraculously acquired the talent to become an extraordinary trainer within that time frame. she'd experienced a fair amount of tutoring from both peer and superior alike - as well as trial and error to get where she was - and she was still improving little by little. 

"i'm not a child,
" she corrected, gently. 

she didn't appear peeved by bailey's words, nor was she riled. her expression betrayed little, but her eyebrows arched in reaction to the intensity present with bailey's gaze.

'the look of a future champion.'  

"and this isn't a game. it's a test. a simple one."

'nothing more,' she thought. 'nothing less.' 

the haze swept over them once again, engulfing their pokemon in a thick cloud darkness. 

"mirror shot, klefki."

there was little hope in trying to see - so the pokemon instead attempted to follow through with the simple order - reliant upon his mistress's voice through the thick fog of confusion that plagued it. 

[ 1 - 33 chance of hurting itself. ]
sfqTE28_

close tab

played by

rascal

the volatile
she/her
August 15th
lavaridge
straight
champion
groudon avatar
tonight the winds of change are blowing wild and free
awards
850 posts
part of
TAG WITH @bailey
Bailey Cooper
hellbent [gym]
POSTED ON Jul 10, 2019 19:37:17 GMT
Bailey Cooper Avatar
[nospaces]

I GOT A BEAST THAT CALLS MY NAME. YEAH, IT COMES IN THE NIGHT AND IT AIN'T SATISFIED TILL WE'RE BOTH GOING UP IN FLAMES. IT IS THE BLOOD THAT I BLEED, IT IS THE LOVE THAT I NEED, AND IT IS ALL OUT OF MY CONTROL, AND IT AIN'T SOMETHING YOU CAN SAVE.

“Aren't you nineteen? Wait, shit. Probably twenty now, huh?” It was hard to keep track. [break][break]

“Well, personally, I miss being called a kid. Now people look at me like I'm supposed to know what the fuck I'm doing. Wish I could jump back to your shoes. You can pick up anything right now and just run with it—that's the freedom that you lose when you get to my age. All in four years, can you believe that?” It was some bullshit.[break][break]

A test. “Yeah, yeah. I know what it is,” and Bailey Cooper would circle the perimeter of the battle arena, feeling like a pyroar that was pacing in its cage. [break][break]

“I'm guessing you have this tailored for beginners—gives you the chance to practice and gives them a chance to cement the basics. The no switch-out rule will force them to commit to their mistakes to learn from 'em. I like the idea. Most gym leaders just wanna teach and see if someone has what it takes,” and her voice seemed to grow in its conviction, like she were one of the pompous council members giving a speech.[break][break]

But, she doesn't give speeches. “But, you see, I got a chance to flip this on its head. There's always room for improvement, but I know my ways and I'm too set to really change them—when I pick up a new trick, it's because I gotta think on my feet. You? You're more like a sponge.”[break][break]

Crobat lurked in the dark.[break][break]

“So, let's call this my test, just to humor me. Not literally, of course.” Cait cannot see it, but Bailey raised both hands to express no offense. [break][break]

“This is just a chance to show you a few things. The underhanded tricks that the tutors won't teach you. The actual shit that people do when they battle and they got money on the line and a bet that they wanna cash in on—the shit that even won't teach you, because he'll never let his tricks be known. Fuck, I even got a few of my own—the nasty shit that I dreamed up when Rocket put my partner in the fucking ground.”[break][break]

Her tone was strong but not serious—it was spoken with volume so it could be heard, not stressed. She had no urgency.[break][break]

Another shot. Another miss—or was it? “It's mean and it's nasty, but we got the benefit of regulated battles. Have you seen pokemon fights in nature? They'll kill one another, if they're given the chance.” It was a truth. “We tend to forget what pokemon is short for—they're called pocket monsters for a reason.”[break][break]

A breath, but she does not give time for the room to breathe.[break][break]

“That's how I learned to train 'em—by watching how they actual do shit without anyone to hold their hand. You let them run their course and play to their strengths, but they know what they're doing better than we ever will, because at the end of the day...” The slightest ting would have been heard had Bailey not taken the time to keep speaking. She talked over the sound of her poison-flyer being clipped by the attack, just at the lower wing.[break][break]

He kept himself from being blinded only because he diverted his gaze.[break][break]

“When you tell 'em to punch, they're the ones punching. We're just supposed to come up with the flare to make sure that happens. You can't just tell 'em, because everyone in the room will see it coming. In an actual fight, you need surprise. Let them punch without being told, because they'll feel the flow better than we ever will.”[break][break]

Vlad the Crobat would fly through the damage he sustained—it had not done as much damage with metal sound nullified, and he refused to scream. He knew pain. Bailey knew pain. They both had a tolerance for not letting it show.[break][break]

“Here's an example: if someone's talking your ear off and trying to waste your fucking time, it's because they're trying to talk over the sound of my Crobat flying in close and using Air Slash for the fifteenth fucking time.”[break][break]

Fucking bamboozled. The haze would distort and part to the wayside as strong gusts of air torn it asunder—another close range blast to try and seal the deal.

PHARAOH LEAP CREATES

[newclass=.frlastcont]padding:0px 0px 35px 0px;border-top:solid 25px #999999;border-bottom:solid 5px #999999;background-color:#242424;width:400px;color:#999999;text-align:justify;text-transform:lowercase;[/newclass]
[newclass=.frlastconttop]height:50px;padding:35px;overflow:hidden;background-color:#1b1b1b;[/newclass]
[newclass=.frlastcontimg]height:50px;width:50px;border-radius:100px;float:left;margin-right:20px;[/newclass]
[newclass=.frlastcontimg img]height:50px;width:50px;border-radius:100%;[/newclass]
[newclass=.frlastcontlyric]padding:5px 0px;font:10px quattrocento sans;line-height:10px;color:#505050;text-transform:uppercase;[/newclass]
[newclass=.frlastcontmid]padding:35px;font:10px quattrocento sans;line-height:12px;letter-spacing:.3px;[/newclass]
[newclass=.frlastcontmid b]color:#eeeeee;border-bottom:solid 1px #191919;[/newclass]
[newclass=.frlastcontmid i]font:bold 10px quattrocento sans;color:#dddddd;font-style:italic;[/newclass]
[newclass=.frlastconttag]padding:13px;background-color:#191919;font:bold 9px quattrocento sans;text-transform:uppercase;line-height:9px;float:right;color:#999999;[/newclass]
[newclass=.frlastconttag a]font:bold 9px quattrocento sans;line-height:9px;color:#999999!important;[/newclass]
[newclass=.frlastcontpoke]height:40px;width:40px;border-radius:100px;background:#191919;padding:1px;display:inline-block;margin-left:3px;[/newclass]
[newclass=.frlastcontparty]float:right; display:block;margin-top:-60px;[/newclass]
close tab

played by

y o y o

cai
she/her
twenty-three
may 15
fortree
bisexual
herbalist
civilian
sénon game
engaged
596 height
596 height
awards
2,558 posts
cait alfric DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @cait
cait alfric
hellbent [gym]
POSTED ON Jul 10, 2019 19:55:50 GMT
cait alfric Avatar

cait called her pokemon back, eager to have her little fairy seek some form of treatment.

"that was a good first battle, baby.

her pokemon was tired - not entirely on the cusp of unconsciousness - but indubitably tired and visibly battered. imperfections marred his shiny metal coat, and he'd droop a little midair as he made his way off the field. 

"
you go to florges," she instructed, her gaze following him before they returned to the woman. 

bailey's words were not entirely lost to her; but they failed to inspire int hat moment. she didn't experience some form of revelation nor did something unlock within her inner depths. so she simply managed a polite smile, but said nothing in reply.

"
are you prepared for my next and final pokemon, miss - ...?"

cait paused and cocked her head to the side.

"
i didn't get your name.

close tab

played by

rascal

the volatile
she/her
August 15th
lavaridge
straight
champion
groudon avatar
awards
850 posts
part of
TAG WITH @bailey
Bailey Cooper
hellbent [gym]
POSTED ON Jul 10, 2019 20:08:58 GMT
Bailey Cooper Avatar
[nospaces]

Bailey was not trying to inspire—that whole speech had been Emboar wash from beginning to end. If it was laced with truth, it was only because she was rambling from start to finish just to cover for her Crobat.[break][break]

Vlad would emerge from the smoke, landing atop her shoulder to playfully chomp the top of her head. She does not act fazed as the haze would fall to the wayside as this battle entered into its crux. “Bailey Cooper. Forget about that rambling, it was just my way of being an ass. Vlad flaps his wings real loud when he'd closing in on something. I needed to make sure he got the drop.”[break][break]

And if there was wisdom in what Bailey said, it was not something that she acknowledged or even cared about. The gym leader could pick it up if she wanted or not—it didn't really matter to the Sergeant. People had their own tricks and methods. If the grass gym leader wanted to stick to this way of battling, then that was her own business.[break][break]

Bailey just wondered how well it would pan out beyond these gym walls—did this kid battle like this all the time? In a world where people could easily exploit her? Whatever. It probably wasn't the case.[break][break]

No skin off her back—she was just here for a badge.[break][break]

“Let's see whatcha got,” Bailey would fetch her third capsule and withdraw her Crobat.. but would not let out her third, choosing to wait and see.

PHARAOH LEAP CREATES

close tab

played by

y o y o

cai
she/her
twenty-three
may 15
fortree
bisexual
herbalist
civilian
sénon game
engaged
596 height
596 height
awards
2,558 posts
cait alfric DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @cait
cait alfric
hellbent [gym]
POSTED ON Jul 10, 2019 20:22:18 GMT
cait alfric Avatar
a togepi tottered onto the field next, this particular egg-shaped specimen appearing relatively young and averagely-sized. 

"ready, togepi?"

the pokemon blinked and wiggled his little arms, hopping from foot to foot in an attempt to appear riled and ready for what was to come. cait smiled fondly at the young creature's antics, the woman looking forward to gauging the fairy's competency in battle. they had practiced a decent amount so far, but she was hopeful that the shiny pokemon would remember his lessons.

"
try your best now. use safe guard," she urged.

he paused only briefly before conjuring up the shielding and cait nodded her head approvingly.

"
good - very good."   

close tab

played by

rascal

the volatile
she/her
August 15th
lavaridge
straight
champion
groudon avatar
awards
850 posts
part of
TAG WITH @bailey
Bailey Cooper
hellbent [gym]
POSTED ON Jul 11, 2019 17:42:56 GMT
Bailey Cooper Avatar
[nospaces]

This was an actual waste of her fucking time.[break][break]

That was her thought the moment the Togepi walked onto the battle field. Though Bailey does not vocalize such a complaint, there was a shift in her gaze as something hostile brewed. “Well, you were right. This was simple.”[break][break]

“Time to wrap this up.” and the thought of having to defeat what had once been her own starter soured on her tongue as an insult that Cait Alfric had no idea she had made.[break][break]

Fuck it. Vlad was summoned back from his capsule. If an opponent was cast out onto the field than they were worthy.[break][break]

Safeguard only protected against status ailments, not actual poison attacks.[break][break]

“Vlad. Cross Poison,” because even he had a split moment of doubt after looking at the small egg-pokemon.[break][break]

And Cait would never know what had dwelt in Bailey's third capsule, because bringing her Aggron out for a battle like this would just be risking the small pokemon's life—there was no way it could put up a fight.

PHARAOH LEAP CREATES

close tab

played by

y o y o

cai
she/her
twenty-three
may 15
fortree
bisexual
herbalist
civilian
sénon game
engaged
596 height
596 height
awards
2,558 posts
cait alfric DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @cait
cait alfric
hellbent [gym]
POSTED ON Jul 11, 2019 18:06:30 GMT
cait alfric Avatar
togepi stared wide-eyed at the winged and fanged creature, his black eyes betraying his uncertainty. but he managed to school his features despite the tremble present in his thin lips, the little fairy attempting to make himself appear confident. unfortunately the hastily put-together facade was rather poor in quality and crumbled the moment the crobat struck out. 

"try dodging, togepi!"

the pokemon tried his best at moving feet that were too small, his lack of speed obvious in that crucial moment. the cross poison impacting his little form and sending him bouncing back a handful of meters back. a shrill noise escaped him, his little arms flailing uselessly as he experienced a searing pain that left him in a poor state. he managed to find his feet again, but wobbled, the look upon his face considerably dazed as he stumbled once before collapsing into a small heap. 

"
well."

cait clapped her hands, the smile she wore a simple one as she leveled her gaze onto bailey. 

"
battle's over. congratulations on your victory, miss cooper."

she gestured toward the pokemon gathered at the river's edge, the subtle movement a familiar one. a single badge was promptly levitated toward bailey as cait moved to scoop up her togepi, the woman crooning softly at the unconscious creature as she did so.

https://i.ibb.co/mv4nqyy/meadow-badge.png

"
we'll keep on practicing, baby boy," she promised. "let's get you fixed up. shall we?"