awards
8,737 posts
part of
TAG WITH @silph
FERNANDO SILPH
EXTRACTION
POSTED ON Nov 2, 2019 3:59:02 GMT
FERNANDO SILPH Avatar
[attr="class","spiral"] is in the hospital. The greatest mind in Hoenn is reduced to a bedside table stool. All because he forgot to look both ways before crossing the street. That just goes to show that academic knowledge doesn't always translate into critical thinking. Fernando finds the story intriguing, uncertain to the validity of the claim but takes the opportunity to visit the League laboratory without the Head Scientist's supervision. It isn't so much a clearance or credentials issue so much as Fernando feels freer knowing that Lucas won't be overlooking his shoulder while he pilfers what he needs from the League's research.

The swishing sound of glass doors part before him and Fernando takes a sweeping glance around the laboratory. Several scientist partake in their own experiments while others discuss between them. The attitude between everyone seems relatively lax and Fernando keeps to himself, grabbing a sterilized lab coat from the entrance and covers his much more formal attire behind the plain white garb. Having visited many times before, he's no stranger to the laboratory's interior and navigates to a nearby terminal to plug in his Porygon flash-drive. He enters his own credentials before allowing his profile to boot up.

His purpose is singular and purposeful.

Fernando is here for himself.

@bean4

[newclass=.spiral]text-align: justify; margin: 0 auto; width: 300px;[/newclass]
[newclass=.spiral b]color: #90c1f9[/newclass]
close tab

played by

i used to dream in the dark of palisades park.
awards
0 posts
Deleted DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @Deleted
Deleted
EXTRACTION
POSTED ON Nov 2, 2019 5:04:45 GMT
Deleted Avatar
[nospaces]
[attr="class","grabod"]
[attr="class","gra"]
[attr="class","grawords"]
[attr="class","gratag"]

After spending the morning looking over documents pertaining to her own kabutops, Najwa is quiet in the lab. Her finger runs along the edge of ruler, used to read line-by-line as she scours through the facts and results of her analysis, brows rising in surprise at how well it actually all turns out.
[break][break]
When she spots someone from her peripherals coming in through the sliding glass doors, she straightens out at a whoosh as they close behind one Fernando Silph. Her slow blink is only rivaled by her look of utter apathy as he pulls on a lab coat and goes straight to a terminal, plugging in his flash drive.
[break][break]
Fascinating.
[break][break]
Najwa watches quietly as he logs in, before sliding off her chair. She tells her kabutops to stay put with a quick glance, and a hold of her hand, pushing outwards, before making her way over.
[break][break]
Once she reaches Mr. Silph, she stands beside him, peering at the screen. "Can I help you?" She queries, looking at him with the same, slow-blinking, apathetic look as before.

[attr="class","grapokes"]

[newclass=.grabod] background: #2e2e2e; width:300px; margin: 0 auto; [/newclass]

[newclass=.gra] margin-top: 40px; width: 300px; text-align: justify; font-family: 'roboto'; background-image:url(https://i.ibb.co/2gq2C65/black-thread.png); padding-right:50px; background-color: #2e2e2e; border-radius: 1px;[/newclass]

[newclass=.grawords] padding: 30px; background: #202020; font-size: 12px; color: #aaa; line-height: 16px; border-radius: 2px; border-right: solid 4px #2e2e2e; [/newclass]
[newclass=.grawords b] color: #dea02c; font-size: 13px; [/newclass]

[newclass=.grapokes] text-align: center; width:300px; margin-left: -30px; margin-bottom: -20px; margin-top: 10px; [/newclass]

[newclass=.gratag] padding: 0px; text-align: right; margin-bottom: 10px; margin-top: -20px; [/newclass]
[newclass=.gratag a] font-size: 11px; text-transform: uppercase; font-weight: bold; letter-spacing: 1px; [/newclass]
close tab

played by

spiral

silph
SIR
twenty-nine
august 12th
saffron
oppressive
silph co. ceo
council member
POWER IS TAKEN, NEVER GIVEN—SO TAKE WHAT YOU ARE OWED
awards
8,737 posts
part of
TAG WITH @silph
FERNANDO SILPH
EXTRACTION
POSTED ON Nov 2, 2019 5:29:00 GMT
FERNANDO SILPH Avatar
[attr="class","spiral"] Nimble fingers get to work and the constant clicks of keyboard keys mask the sound of Najwa's approach. The screen flickers as multiple windows open up: first task manager, then the general file directory as Fernando navigates between the different drives. Despite the League's internal network sharing most information between different branches and computers, some information is best kept locally. It makes it easier to secure and requires perpetrators to be on location. Fortunately, Fernando has little to worry about. He's one of the good guys, after all.

"Oh?" The sound of her voice is startling but Fernando refrains from flinching. There's nothing for him to be afraid of on his home turf and so far he's done nothing wrong. There's no guilt or remorse when technically League property is considered his own. With a bright smile on his face, Fernando turns his head to address her, practiced patience melding perfectly as he answers her with the same warm expression he shows on television.

"Hello. I'm fine right now." He has an inkling that either she has no idea who he is or she's responsible for overseeing the lab. Maybe it's a mix of both. While figures such as , , or may be more closely associated with research, in a time before Slateport that role used to be synonymous with Silph. Not necessarily Fernando but rather his company's hand in joint operations with the League. With Devon out of the picture, that relationship has only strengthened.

"Did you need something from me?"

@bean4

close tab

played by

awards
0 posts
Deleted DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @Deleted
Deleted
EXTRACTION
POSTED ON Nov 2, 2019 5:55:01 GMT
Deleted Avatar
[nospaces]
[attr="class","grabod"]
[attr="class","gra"]
[attr="class","gratag"]

Najwa doesn't smile, she just stares quietly as Fernando turns his head to look at her, smiling. A few moments ago, he had been so deep into the screen that he had barely noticed her. She looks back to the screen slowly, and then breathes softly, sighing through her nose.
[break][break]
"No. Why are you smiling like that? I didn't give you any indication you should need to." Najwa shrugs and points to the screen, curiosity piqued. Call her nosy, but when new things happened in the lab, she was interested. This was her field of research, after all.
[break][break]
"Is there a reason a councilman is looking for something related to genes?" Her eyebrow quirks, just the slightest, and she nods towards the screen again. "I was just interested in what you're doing. You are my superior, for the moment." Pulling a small pen and notepad from her pocket, she touches the tip of it to her tongue, and then scribbles to make sure it works.
[break][break]
The notepad is full of strange equations and calculations. "Learning is why I'm here, I suspect you're obligated to help me with that as a C.O."

[newclass=.grabod] background: #2e2e2e; width:300px; margin: 0 auto; [/newclass]

[newclass=.gra] margin-top: 40px; width: 300px; text-align: justify; font-family: 'roboto'; background-image:url(https://i.ibb.co/2gq2C65/black-thread.png); padding-right:50px; background-color: #2e2e2e; border-radius: 1px;[/newclass]

[newclass=.grawords] padding: 30px; background: #202020; font-size: 12px; color: #aaa; line-height: 16px; border-radius: 2px; border-right: solid 4px #2e2e2e; [/newclass]

[newclass=.grapokes] text-align: center; width:300px; margin-left: -30px; margin-bottom: -20px; margin-top: 10px; [/newclass]

[newclass=.gratag] padding: 0px; text-align: right; margin-bottom: 10px; margin-top: -20px; [/newclass]
[newclass=.gratag a] font-size: 11px; text-transform: uppercase; font-weight: bold; letter-spacing: 1px; [/newclass]
close tab

played by

spiral

silph
SIR
twenty-nine
august 12th
saffron
oppressive
silph co. ceo
council member
awards
8,737 posts
part of
TAG WITH @silph
FERNANDO SILPH
EXTRACTION
POSTED ON Nov 2, 2019 6:59:04 GMT
FERNANDO SILPH Avatar
[attr="class","spiral"]Why are you smiling like that. Fernando resists the natural urge to narrow his eyes, unable to discern if she's socially inept and that's a genuine question or some sort of sassy reply. The lack of tone and facial expression to accompany the inquiry points toward the former and Fernando considers his next words carefully. While ingenious, the scientific type tend to take things literally, hence their aptitude in understanding plain logic and how strict laws work within the natural world. It is the power of creativity and understanding that adds to social interaction and Fernando toes that line very carefully

"Because it's rare that people approach me in a setting like this." There's no question of her intention and Fernando can feel the growing pain of being observed. He decides to detract from any unrelated discussion and try to bombard her with information. By telling her the drawn out truth, hopefully she can't deduce his primary objective.

"Believe it or not, I like to keep up to date with all types of matters. Specifically, I'm looking into some research Mr. Lane had conducted some time ago. His research into the incident in Mossdeep, along with Mega Evolution — prior to when we knew that Mega Evolution was a reproducible phenomenon — may help me find some more information I had about Legendary Pokemon."

The minute the pen and paper come out is the moment Fernando takes initiative. In his opinion, typing has always been faster than writing. In raw speed, he's sure to outdo her and leave her behind his trail. This is the opportunity he needs and he cycles through a variety of window's hotkeys, spinning up new instances of exploring various directories and copying over various files as he sees fit. Unsure of how technologically literate she is, he even opens up the computer's command line, spitting out standard syntax to enact the same commands while making it look more complicated than it really is.

@bean4

close tab

played by

awards
0 posts
Deleted DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @Deleted
Deleted
EXTRACTION
POSTED ON Nov 2, 2019 18:56:28 GMT
Deleted Avatar
[nospaces]
[attr="class","grabod"]
[attr="class","gra"]
[attr="class","gratag"]

Fernando turns away as soon as she takes out her pen, and she blinks, before turning to the screen. His hands move fast, but her shorthand comes out in many associated symbols and squiggles. By the time he gets to the command prompt, she's reviewing her notes and flipping the four pages she's written out.
[break][break]
"Is there a reason you're doing the exactly same thing in the syntax?" She runs her finger along a line of symbols that look like a couple of swirls, a small squiggle, and the actual word "syntax," before looking up at him, licking her lips.
[break][break]
"I just want to make sure I understand." Najwa clarifies, tilting her head and waiting for an answer. While she does, she places her notepad of symbols on the desk of the console and taps her pen against it. "Fascinating, really. How this all... Plays out." She stares down, flipping the page.
[break][break]
"It's all really quite interesting!" Her face stay neutral, but her voice is a hushed, amazed whisper. "Huh."

close tab

played by

spiral

silph
SIR
twenty-nine
august 12th
saffron
oppressive
silph co. ceo
council member
awards
8,737 posts
part of
TAG WITH @silph
FERNANDO SILPH
EXTRACTION
POSTED ON Nov 2, 2019 19:27:32 GMT
FERNANDO SILPH Avatar
[attr="class","spiral"] "I prefer visuals," Fernando answers without missing a beat. While the command prompt is faster and allows him elevated access to certain permissions the array of text that sprawls across the screen every time he enters a new command isn't as digestible as the normalized view that most computer users are used to. While he may know his in and outs at a high level Fernando hasn't dedicated the time to know how to parse the text by eyeballing it hence repeating his actions after he's gotten a visual of the folder hierarchy. At least that's his excuse and considering the nature of the field, it's entirely plausible.

What he does derive is that Najwa understand the scope of what he's doing. While that doesn't provide him any real trouble, that just means he needs to be thorough. Rather than take exactly what he wants, he'll have to take it all, sorting through what he's truly after once he's alone and away from prying eyes. "I find it faster to do that than sit there and try to blindly work my way through a new environment."

Multiple windows appear on the corner of the screen detailing how much time it'll take to copy over the bulk of the information he's transferring. Some of the windows clear instantly, mostly text files that take very little space, while others continue with a detailed estimated time until complete. Rather than wait, Fernando starts to open up several files of interest. Nothing pertaining to what he's here for but things that seem interesting nonetheless. He opens up a video log of some documented experiment and leans back into the chair to listen to the audio.

Despite the sound of someone droning off about the premise of their findings, Fernando decides to question Najwa farther, never taking his eyes away from the screen. "So what's your field of expertise?"

@bean4

close tab

played by

awards
0 posts
Deleted DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @Deleted
Deleted
EXTRACTION
POSTED ON Nov 4, 2019 4:27:44 GMT
Deleted Avatar
[nospaces]
[attr="class","grabod"]
[attr="class","gra"]
[attr="class","gratag"]

Najwa doesn't exactly drop the feeling that he's hiding something without actually hiding anything - but for the most part, she remains impartial to what he's doing. It's just not that interesting. She sighs softly through her nose and gestures to the syntax he had entered, pointing to the screen.
[break][break]
"You missed a backslash. Just there." She taps the screen and shrugs, before licking her lips. "You'll wind up with skewed data if you don't use it."
[break][break]
Afterwards, she thinks about his question, her notepad and pen tucking away. "Myself? I work in genetics. I aim to be the next top scientist." She glances at the computer, checking the date on the console. "In approximately one month and two days, by my projections."
[break][break]
Her fingertips drum a dull pattern on the desk, staring at the screen with him. "I specialize in fossil DNA. Re-creating genes of ancient pokemon. My current thesis is how to replicate the genes without damaging or changing the pokemon's integrity. If we can produce viable embryos, we won't need to use fossils anymore." She blinks slowly, then nods. Yes, that was dumbed down enough - she was sure of it.
[break][break]
Most people she explained it to, always looked at her as if she had three heads.

close tab

played by

spiral

silph
SIR
twenty-nine
august 12th
saffron
oppressive
silph co. ceo
council member
awards
8,737 posts
part of
TAG WITH @silph
FERNANDO SILPH
EXTRACTION
POSTED ON Nov 5, 2019 4:08:37 GMT
FERNANDO SILPH Avatar
[attr="class","spiral"] The missing backslash means little to his overall work. Without missing a beat it corrects itself, deleting the extra on the console without Fernando having to do it himself. The occurrence happens naturally and only the most observant will notice. Her worry is misplaced and Fernando otherwise ignores the comment, knowing full well that his data will be as presentable as humanly possible. After all, there's only one thing more reliable with a computer that's not himself.

"What a pinpoint timeline," he answers with an amused smirk. So she's one of those type. It reminds him of in some aspects but also drastically different in another. Perhaps it's an obsession with numbers but the precision behind her answer warns him on several fronts about what type of person he's dealing with and he carries on with caution.

"Replicating genes can be a challenging issue," he comments idly, closing the lecture before turning his chair to look back at her. "So many Pokemon can exhibit such behaviors under specific scenarios but replicating them consistently and for our own personal use has proven immensely difficult."

Fernando's by no means a scholar in the world of academia but the topic of replication is one that perks his interest. Having grown up with a Ditto since childhood — the crux of his own experiments, an essential core of Project Avalon, and as the most capable user of TRANSFORM — the topic happens to be one that he knows his way around. While most of his knowledge rests at a high overview level derived from being submersed in frequent conversations from experts, this one happens to be one that he's well versed in. Hours in a dark laboratory sampling how to turn Pokemon DNA digital has its usage even if it ended in failure.

@bean4

close tab

played by

awards
0 posts
Deleted DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @Deleted
Deleted
EXTRACTION
POSTED ON Nov 6, 2019 2:25:06 GMT
Deleted Avatar
[nospaces]
[attr="class","grabod"]
[attr="class","gra"]
[attr="class","gratag"]

"Yes, I suppose it is." Najwa shrugs, because his concurrence is, at best, apt. Her timeline was pinpoint, and she was sure she'd achieve it easily, possibly even sooner. It's not like he wasn't saying much that wasn't true - actually, he hadn't lied yet, that she knew of. Just omitted. Which was fine by her, because she didn't particularly care what he was up to. She wasn't in charge of this place, anyway.
[break][break]
Yet.
[break][break]
"So, Fernando Silph." She crosses her arms across her chest, looking him up and down. Scrutinizing, because that's just how she is. How her mother raised her to be. Look pretty, act pretty, assess, react. "When did you become a councilman?" Because asking him about what he was doing would clearly be unfruitful in her discoveries, and she didn't want to be rude by cutting a conversation off mid-topic.
[break][break]
"Was it a position you moved into?" She continues, tilting her head and blinking.

close tab

played by

spiral

silph
SIR
twenty-nine
august 12th
saffron
oppressive
silph co. ceo
council member
awards
8,737 posts
part of
TAG WITH @silph
FERNANDO SILPH
EXTRACTION
POSTED ON Nov 6, 2019 20:43:22 GMT
FERNANDO SILPH Avatar
[attr="class","spiral"] Oh. What a smooth transition. Fernando keeps his chuckle to himself, resounding mentally as Najwa shifts from genetics to generic questions about him. How much did she know and how much was it her playing dumb, if at all? Typically, Fernando would assume the later but with his meeting with @noblesse still fresh on his mind, the former becomes a very real possibility.

"Shortly after the Slateport Invasion. I never really wanted to get my hands into politics but I couldn't bear to see Hoenn fall to the same fate as Kanto due to negligence." He clasps his hands together, fingers interlock as the chair pivots with a small swivel back and forth. "And unfortunately I've yet to find a suitable successor to relieve me of this duty."

@bean4

close tab

played by

awards
0 posts
Deleted DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @Deleted
Deleted
EXTRACTION
POSTED ON Nov 6, 2019 21:18:58 GMT
Deleted Avatar
[nospaces]
[attr="class","grabod"]
[attr="class","gra"]
[attr="class","gratag"]

Najwa blinks, and nods her head, pulling up a chair. "So." She clasps her hands together and tilts her head, watching him answer, before raising an eyebrow.
[break][break]
"You took a job you don't want, and are trying to pass onto someone, because... you didn't trust anyone else to do it? Or was there no one else to do it?"
[break][break]
She doesn't remember much about the invasion - she was barely in town at the time, finishing up her masters degree, and fixing her projected PHD timeline by taking summer courses to finish sooner. "Why do you feel like it's your responsibility?"

close tab

played by

spiral

silph
SIR
twenty-nine
august 12th
saffron
oppressive
silph co. ceo
council member
awards
8,737 posts
part of
TAG WITH @silph
FERNANDO SILPH
EXTRACTION
POSTED ON Nov 6, 2019 21:43:52 GMT
FERNANDO SILPH Avatar
[attr="class","spiral"] Fernando lets out a mild laugh when she restates his answer with her own personal twist. "Well, if you want to put it like that, then you could argue that, sure. It would be more accurate to say that I didn't envision myself taking up such a role but did so once I realized it was something I could do and excel at."

Despite the increasing invasiveness of her question, which he can only presume she does out of good faith, Fernando smiles. This isn't the first time he's been probe but the longer they converse the more it feels like a one-sided interview. "I also wouldn't say that I'm trying to pass it off either. People in positions that impact others should always have a successor in mind should anything happen."

Najwa gets one last question and Fernando claps his hands together, sitting upright as he stares back at her. "If you'd like to know more I'm afraid I'll have to charge you. HNN would hate me forever if I gave away my life's story to someone else when I've been ducking them for weeks."

@bean4

close tab

played by

awards
0 posts
Deleted DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @Deleted
Deleted
EXTRACTION
POSTED ON Nov 6, 2019 21:51:03 GMT
Deleted Avatar
[nospaces]
[attr="class","grabod"]
[attr="class","gra"]
[attr="class","gratag"]

Nodding to his answers, Najwa rubs at the side of her face, propping her chin into the palm of her hand. Huh, his answers were just as diplomatic and passive as his answers about the research - not spilling one way or another.
[break][break]
Did he had an opinion of his own, or was he just so used to remaining impartial, that he had no idea what his own opinion was anymore?
[break][break]
Either way, his joke about charging her didn't go unnoticed. She smiles, rolling her eyes and moving to stand again. "Very well." Tucking the chair into the desk, she shrugs her shoulders. "If you'd like to know anything, ask." She gestures to him, signalling it was his turn to ask her questions, if he so wishes.

close tab

played by

spiral

silph
SIR
twenty-nine
august 12th
saffron
oppressive
silph co. ceo
council member
awards
8,737 posts
part of
TAG WITH @silph
FERNANDO SILPH
EXTRACTION
POSTED ON Nov 7, 2019 0:12:42 GMT
FERNANDO SILPH Avatar
[attr="class","spiral"] Fernando spares the console a glance and from the corner of his eyes he notices that most of the loading bars and windows have closed, meaning that he's just about done. Without missing a beat, he shifts his gaze upward and toward the now standing Najwa.

"Sure. There are plenty of things I'd like to know. How about we start with you? Tell me about yourself."

@bean4