Lulu Flint DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @lulu
Lulu Flint
pies and punches [m][c]
POSTED ON Sept 24, 2020 0:26:56 GMT
Lulu Flint Avatar

THE GREAT HOENN BAKE OFF MISSION

lulu had decided to get a motel room after a late mission, not having the energy to dive into the ocean again after the long day. sometimes, you spent all that you earned just to get through and make it to the next grind. there’d be no profit, today.

she made her way through a grocery store, headed to the back of it, to the freezer section. lulu wasn’t much of a cook, and she’d been living on frozen food for some time, now. fancy meals on a white table cloth were far, far in her past. her fingers curled around a cardboard box that showed a picture of something galarian and unadventurous, and she started walking back to the front of the store to pay.

then, she saw her. lulu hadn’t even entirely convinced herself of the woman’s existence, the evening they’d shared having become more of a surreal blur, looking back. captain skyler dross, her one-night, golden-haired, liquor-pounding kryptonite. she would have turned and walked for the far register, but then she remembered something. rinc’s coin. it had disappeared from her strap that night, on the boat. she hadn’t realized until the next morning, when she’d woken back up in the same motel she intended on staying at that evening.

she sighed deeply, unable to turn her back on the opportunity to find out if the woman had it.

cursing under her breath, the toes of her green boots turned in her direction and she walked, wondering if she’d recognize her from a distance. she wore a black hoodie—something she always wore, now. she really needed to pick up some better clothes. on that note, she needed a promotion.

striding up to her, with an almost smug expression that wasn’t quite a smile but teased at one, she raised her chin at her. “hey, captain.”

close tab

played by

owli

dross, captain
she, her
august 17
Lilycove, Hoenn
bisexual
sailor / treasure hunter
nautica owner
how bold I was, could be - will be - still am
awards
2,345 posts
skyler dross DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @skyler
skyler dross
pies and punches [m][c]
POSTED ON Sept 24, 2020 21:01:21 GMT
skyler dross Avatar

There were many things in the world Skyler was sure of: the sky was blue, her boat was the love of her life, bananas were evil. She was also entirely sure that her cooking and/or baking skills were approaching next to none, which begged the question -

Why the hell was she buying ingredients to
bake a pie? Or, even worse, several pies?

Her fingers got tangled in her blond curls as she attempted to tame the chaotic mess that was her hair. She gave up after a few seconds, choosing to focus her attention on the growing amount of grocery bags in front of her. To be fair, she hadn’t been sure what ingredients she’d need, so she just - took things off of shelves, hoping she’d get most things right.

How hard was it to bake a pie,
really?

The captain was blinking at the sheer number of bags she'd have to carry home when a voice distracted her. She turned her head to face whoever had recognized her - only to have her mouth go completely dry.

Lu.

Skyler remembered that night like one would a fever dream: a mirage she’d conjured up in her mind, a secret kept quiet and solitary in a corner until something reminded her of it, and then...

She’d probably spent too much time thinking about things that she had no business thinking about. Especially not now that the source of them was in front of her.

For a few seconds there was little reaction from the captain; then a small, indolent smile spread over her lips. “Lu. So you do exist, after all.” I thought I’d dreamed you up. Her eyes fell on the frozen meal in the woman’s hands and she raised her eyebrows teasingly. “No partying tonight?”

Quickly paying for her groceries, Skyler grabbed the bags, ignoring the way her muscles were screaming at her. The weight dragged her shoulders down. Fuck, that was heavy. Who knew flour could weight that much? 

● tags:
● notes: ...
close tab

played by

mad

saoirse quinn
she/her
twenty-eight
october 27th
circhester, galar
bisexual
physicist / inventor
executive
the shadows breathe
whispering me away
5’8” height
5’8” height
every night i burn, dream the black crow dream
awards
4,335 posts
Lulu Flint DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @lulu
Lulu Flint
pies and punches [m][c]
POSTED ON Sept 25, 2020 6:10:46 GMT
Lulu Flint Avatar

when skyler expressed a similarly spectral recollection, lulu gave a light ’heh’. “yeh, that night’s a bit of a blur, innit?” she preferred to pretend she didn’t remember what had happened. her tongue poked at the inside of her cheek as her stare lingered on the blonde a bit too long, as though she was considering something briefly, but the thought faded and she came back down to earth.

as the woman looked at the box in her hand, she placed it on the belt: a frozen miltank patty with gravy, peas and mashed potatoes.

she cast a waggish look at her from the side as she handed over a few pokedollars from a beat-up leather wallet. “what? this doesn’t look like a party to you?” she took the change, pocketing it, and putting the boxed meal in the pouch of her hoodie.

without much hesitation, she then turned to nonchalantly grab a couple of the bags out of the woman’s hands—if she was allowed to do so. considering their arm-wrestling power struggle, there was no telling how proud she was, or if she’d accept the gesture. if she did, she’d lead the way out of the store, presumptuously, teasingly casting the question over her shoulder: “where we goin’ with these?”

close tab

played by

owli

dross, captain
she, her
august 17
Lilycove, Hoenn
bisexual
sailor / treasure hunter
nautica owner
awards
2,345 posts
skyler dross DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @skyler
skyler dross
pies and punches [m][c]
POSTED ON Sept 25, 2020 20:51:11 GMT
skyler dross Avatar

The comment about that night made Skyler's eyes flash with some unknown emotion. She'd woken up the morning after with bruised knuckles, a headache that she swore then would kill her, and the feel of phantom lips lingering over the back of her neck. Skyler was the type of person to live her life fully and remorselessly - but something about that half-dreamed night had lingered with her.

"A fun blur though," was Skyler's response. She wasn't sure how much Lu remembered. A lot of things were still hazy in her own mind. She could guess at some of them, but most of the events were forever lost at the bottom of a rum bottle.

Skyler let out a chuckle at Lu's words. "Well, don't let me stop you if that's your kind of party." The teasing edge to her voice had somehow turned into something else, and the sailor subconsciously tipped her head back in challenge. Lu had that effect on her, she remembered - Skyler wanted to push her limits, to challenge her, to poke until something happened.

There was genuine surprise on her face when the other woman grabbed a few of her grocery bags out of her hands. Her curiosity, though, got the better of her, and she let go without a struggle. She followed Lu as the woman sauntered her way out of the shop, bags in hand. Both her eyebrows went up at the question.

"First my boat, now my house, Lu?" The way her lips curled spoke of trouble. She didn't hesitate as she walked past Lu, only to look briefly over her shoulder. "You comin'?"

It wasn't long to her house, really. A few streets and turns and she was back in the same small, pitifully dead lawn. The tiny, single storey house was at the end of the street, close to the cliffside. 

She leaned against the entrance door, keys jingling as she took them out of her pocket. "I remember you saying you were - what was it? - a pirate or something. I probably shouldn't let you in, Lu." In Skyler's head there were other reasons this would come back to bite her in the ass, but that had never stopped her before. It certainly wouldn't now. "Welcome to my humble abode."

● tags:
close tab

played by

mad

saoirse quinn
she/her
twenty-eight
october 27th
circhester, galar
bisexual
physicist / inventor
executive
the shadows breathe
whispering me away
5’8” height
5’8” height
awards
4,335 posts
Lulu Flint DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @lulu
Lulu Flint
pies and punches [m][c]
POSTED ON Sept 27, 2020 0:51:38 GMT
Lulu Flint Avatar

lulu did remember it having been fun. too much fun, maybe. at skyler’s challenging expression, lulu showed some teeth and a dimple on one side. this woman’s spirit riled some youthful hooligan nature in her that was both refreshing and potentially disastrous.

outside, she was passed up by the blonde, who then led the way. “thought your boat was your house, i was just too bloody rat-arsed to remember where it was.” she admitted, then teased, “ye fuckin’ landlubber.”

had she really said she was a pirate? somewhat amused with herself, she chewed on the tip of her tongue for a moment. not long enough to skip a beat, she responded with a shrug, “probably not.”

“but i’ve come all this way, and if you leave me out here, i’ll just sit on your dead lawn and chuck rocks at your window.” all this way as though they’d been walking for miles. she looked at her, this time returning the look of challenge, poking at her.

then, the key turned, and they were in. lulu did a quick scan of the room before heading to set the bags on a kitchen counter, which seemed like the obvious place for them to land. it was then that she realized most of the items in the bags she’d been carrying were baking ingredients.

needing to strike up a conversation to find a reason to stay and hound her about the coin without seeming like too much a dick, she went with that. “you baking something?” as though it wasn’t obvious.

close tab

played by

owli

dross, captain
she, her
august 17
Lilycove, Hoenn
bisexual
sailor / treasure hunter
nautica owner
awards
2,345 posts
skyler dross DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @skyler
skyler dross
pies and punches [m][c]
POSTED ON Sept 27, 2020 13:29:45 GMT
skyler dross Avatar

Skyler mock-gasped in apparent shock when Lu called her a landlubber. "Lu, I'mma fight you if you keep besmirching my reputation," she said, looking everything but
besmirched. In fact, she looked as if she was having too much fun, and her expression betrayed a certain excitement at the thought of fighting the dark-haired woman. She hadn't forgotten their arm-wrestling contest, the way whisky amber eyes had sized her up, the way her heart had immediately sped up.

Better to not think too much about it.

There was a beat of silence as Skyler stood in the entrance to her house, then she threw her head back and let out a peal of amused laughter. When it subsided, she gestured for Lu to follow her inside. "Leave the rocks alone. It's getting cold at night and I'd have to get some company to warm me up. All in all, too much trouble."

The house itself was small. Kitchen, living room and dining room were all in the same division. It was sparsely furnished too: no tv to speak of, and the only things of note were the accoustic guitar in the corner, the ratty punching bag hanging off to the side and the oceanic knick-knacks spread throughout the house.

Skyler put the grocery bags on top of the counter next to Lu, then made herself comfortable. The jacket she'd been wearing was thrown to the couch, revealing the sports top underneath, and her sneakers were kicked to the side haphazardly. The captain hmmm'ed in pleasure at the feeling of bare feet against wooden floors.

"Aye, I'm baking." As if those words had turned a switch on, the blonde put her wild hair in a ponytail and rested her hands on her hips, facing the ingredients with a look of determination on her face. Several seconds passed before Skyler sighed. "I honestly have no idea what I'm doing. I've never baked anything in my life." It wasn't going to stop her though, not when she was this determined. She threw Lu a wry grin, unashamedly winking at her. "You might as well help, since you're here and all."

It was probably a bad idea to throw a bag of flour Lu's way. Skyler did it anyway. 

● tags:
close tab

played by

mad

saoirse quinn
she/her
twenty-eight
october 27th
circhester, galar
bisexual
physicist / inventor
executive
the shadows breathe
whispering me away
5’8” height
5’8” height
awards
4,335 posts
Lulu Flint DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @lulu
Lulu Flint
pies and punches [m][c]
POSTED ON Sept 27, 2020 16:51:46 GMT
Lulu Flint Avatar

skyler needed a warm body? from the sounds of it, lulu had been deemed one. not quite sure how to take it, she simply shut up. that night on the boat had been the first human touch she’d felt in so long—and she’d initiated it. the arm-wrestling, the “shooting lesson”… lulu just wasn’t the type. she’d been on the receiving end of one too many sucker punches, both literally and figuratively. the most anyone usually got out of her was a firm handshake.

she looked down as a pair of sneakers tumbled, and then amber eyes fell down at her own shoes. “should i uh... take my boots off?” lulu typically preferred to keep her shoes on, in case she had to run; always prepared—after booking it out of a burning building barefoot after , she’d even started sleeping with them on, when not staying in the grunt quarters of the submarine. people were weird about shoes, though. something about dirt and germs. she remembered that, somewhere in her past. her mother’s law.

lulu smirked, thoroughly tickled by the thought of the captain in such a domestic scenario—and even more so when she admitted she was flying blind. then, she reasoned lulu should help. she quirked a thin brow at skyler. “i’ve already helped you with your groceries, captain. i expect to see some doubloons at some point.” no, really.

a bag of flour hit her in the abdomen as it was tossed over, and she let out a sharp breath. yeah, it was heavy. who’d’ve thunk. she’d even carried it for a couple of blocks. not sure what to do with it at that point, she simply held it in her hands, waiting for instruction: the newly appointed, dutiful sous-chef of disaster kitchen.

it was like that alanis morissette song, only instead of two spoons without a knife, they were two wrecking balls without a measuring cup.

close tab

played by

owli

dross, captain
she, her
august 17
Lilycove, Hoenn
bisexual
sailor / treasure hunter
nautica owner
awards
2,345 posts
skyler dross DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @skyler
skyler dross
pies and punches [m][c]
POSTED ON Sept 29, 2020 16:28:18 GMT
skyler dross Avatar

The sound of slamming cupboard doors and the clashing of pots, pans and all sorts of kitchen utensils would be enough to scare most people away. Not that Skyler had many
kitchen utensils in her kitchen, but those that she did have were slowly - and none too gently - being deposited atop her counters. The sailor cursed under her breath as she attempted to reach the tallest shelf, and ended up climbing on top of the kitchen counter with a small growl.

Cooking made Skyler aggressive, apparently.

Lulu looked strangely small from this perspective. Skyler sidestepped a small pan as she explored her cupboards, tilting her head at Lu's question. "Do whatever you like." She waved a hand dismissively. "It's not like I have guests around." Actually, Lu aside, there'd been only one other person who'd come into her house other than her parents. Huh. Maybe she should get some friends or something.

Skyler jumped back onto the ground and took a six pack of beer from one of the grocery bags, popping one open with a satisfied sigh. She raised a brow at Lu, waving one can of beer in invitation.  "I have some tequila somewhere, if you prefer." The smirk on Skyler's mouth was positively incendiary. Details of that night were still coming back to her. 

She wasn't sure she'd be able to bake
completely sober anyway.

"Doubloons?" The captain wasn't sure what
that meant, but she got the gist of the sentence. The frenetic activity in the kitchen stopped for a moment while silver eyes quickly settled on Lu. "And what doubloons would you ask of me, Lu?" 

Dough was the first thing she'd... they'd have to do. There was the butter, the sugar and... was it salt? Hell if she knew. She didn't have a measuring cup either, so it would have to be improvised. She started mixing the ingredients together in a bowl. "Bring me the flour, will ya?" 

● tags:
close tab

played by

mad

saoirse quinn
she/her
twenty-eight
october 27th
circhester, galar
bisexual
physicist / inventor
executive
the shadows breathe
whispering me away
5’8” height
5’8” height
awards
4,335 posts
Lulu Flint DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @lulu
Lulu Flint
pies and punches [m][c]
POSTED ON Sept 30, 2020 6:22:25 GMT
Lulu Flint Avatar

amber eyes watched her chaos with a smile that deepened as the woman climbed the counter and looked over her. lulu cleared her throat and averted her eyes to the floor a moment, caught off guard by the silver in skyler’s from the new perspective.

she opted to keep her boots on, of course.

lulu squinted her eyes a little at the captain when she mentioned tequila, flashing teeth. she reached out and swiped the beer. you’d prefer it.” she teased, immediately surprised at her own flirtatiousness. she bit her lip. couldn’t back down, now. her eyes narrowed more, still. “you’d love to have me sloshed again.” oh. how forward of her.

she nodded her head to the side a bit at the question, sucking in her lip a little and considering. walking forward a few steps and plopping the bag on the counter, she unrolled the top with a small ripping sound helpfully. “there is a specific doubloon, actually.” she started, with a sigh, and sip of her beer. her eyes suddenly flashed to the other woman’s with untrusting vigilance.

“i left a coin on your ship.” it wasn’t a question. there was zero uncertainty. either she’d found it, or she hadn’t. with her free hand, she went to draw the shape of the emblem on it. “it’s got a little flame on it, like this.” she was interested to see how this might go, the woman being a ‘treasure hunter’ and all. her eyes didn’t leave the blonde’s, ever. i need it back.

close tab

played by

owli

dross, captain
she, her
august 17
Lilycove, Hoenn
bisexual
sailor / treasure hunter
nautica owner
awards
2,345 posts
skyler dross DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @skyler
skyler dross
pies and punches [m][c]
POSTED ON Sept 30, 2020 10:10:22 GMT
skyler dross Avatar

Whenever Skyler thought she had a grasp on this strange dance they were doing around each other, Lu would come and change the rhythm. The can of beer stopped halfway to Skyler's lips, Lu's words obviously having some sort of effect on the captain. She licked her lips and stared at Lu briefly before resuming the movement and gulping down some of the beer.

There was no clear path ahead - and if there was Skyler couldn't see it. So she did as she always had done: she ploughed ahead and made her own path. 

Her teeth flashed briefly in a smirk. "I haven't learned how to shoot yet, Lu."

Flour was added to the mix and the thing inside the mixing bowl finally started to resemble something akin to dough, albeit strangely lumpy. Unbeknown to Skyler, some of the flour had made it to the bridge of her nose. When she attempted to wipe her hair away, more was left on her cheek. 

"A coin." Skyler leaned back against the countertop, arms crossed over chest. The heel of her foot rested on the edge of a nearby stool. She looked every inch the quintessential troublemaker. "With a flame." She'd seen her fair share of coins over the last few years in her dives and expeditions - and yet she knew exactly what coin Lu was talking about.

Was that the reason why Lu had followed her home? Probably. 

Skyler was a lousy liar and she knew that, so she saw no reason to even attempt. "Yeah, I've seen it." There it was again, that reckless impulse to push and prod at Lu's buttons - to oppose her in some way. To face her with sharp smiles and teasing edges.

She abandoned her position to slam the dough onto the countertop, perhaps with more aggressiveness than what was needed. She made two mounds with the dough and pointed to one. "That one's yours."  

● tags:
● notes:  i thought i'd put some music here too lol
close tab

played by

mad

saoirse quinn
she/her
twenty-eight
october 27th
circhester, galar
bisexual
physicist / inventor
executive
the shadows breathe
whispering me away
5’8” height
5’8” height
awards
4,335 posts
Lulu Flint DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @lulu
Lulu Flint
pies and punches [m][c]
POSTED ON Oct 1, 2020 5:24:43 GMT
Lulu Flint Avatar

she thought back to that night; back to that moment, finally, at the mention of the learning to shoot. suddenly, she could taste the salt on the back of skyler’s neck again. though it wasn’t cold, her skin prickled with a shiver. touch.

aluminum replaced the feeling, as did the taste of beer.

a thin brow was quirked at the woman. “you should fix that.” she countered with a smirk. truth be told, lulu hadn’t been playing with guns quite so much lately.

eyes caught sight of the flour on the woman’s nose, and a breath of amusement left her. cute.

lulu’s eyes narrowed at skyler’s resistance, all amusement fading. hairs on her neck stood up like hackles at the slamming of the dough, suddenly unsure if the aggression was intentional. she hesitated as the dough was thrown in front of her, but went to kneed it anyways, as she figured she ought to.

“it’s not worth much.” she pressed, side-eyeing the woman. this wouldn’t be a peaceful exchange for long. as much as she admittedly enjoyed skyler’s company, skyler wasn’t near close enough to be exempt from her forceful nature. skyler would find herself poking a bear.

if she dodged the subject again, the bear would act.

close tab

played by

owli

dross, captain
she, her
august 17
Lilycove, Hoenn
bisexual
sailor / treasure hunter
nautica owner
awards
2,345 posts
skyler dross DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @skyler
skyler dross
pies and punches [m][c]
POSTED ON Oct 1, 2020 9:34:10 GMT
skyler dross Avatar

As the words left Skyler's mouth she could feel the tension in the room rise, like a rubber band pulled taunt, waiting for the moment it could no longer withstand the strain - and break. That sense of rising danger had Skyler's skin prickling with - was it anticipation? She couldn't really make heads or tails of it, but she didn't care to either. Her heart was pounding inside her ribcage, adrenaline kicking in and making her lick her lips.

Why play with fire if not to get burned?

"It's worth something to you," was Skyler's response; even if she'd been blind and deaf, it was clear as day that Lu valued the coin deeply. Of course, Skyler wouldn't keep the coin from Lu, she wasn't that kind of person, but the other didn't know that. 

The dough felt satisfyingly pliable under the movement of her hands as she kneed it. It felt almost - almost - relaxing, like when she wrapped her hands in gauze and hit the punching bag with abandon. Skyler was well aware of her unhealthy coping mechanisms - and she couldn't even blame them on some childhood trauma or something. She'd been a happy child. 

"So, what will you trade me for it, Lu?" There it was, the lifting of the chin, the subtle challenge, the gleam of trouble in her eyes. She stopped kneeding the dough and boldly took a step in Lu's direction - as if the tone of her voice hadn't been clear enough. As if she wanted to bury herself in this maelstrom of adrenaline and curiosity and desire. 

As if, sensing danger, she couldn't resist the allure to throw herself in its path with all the reckless abandon of those who had nothing to lose.

● tags:
● notes:  
close tab

played by

mad

saoirse quinn
she/her
twenty-eight
october 27th
circhester, galar
bisexual
physicist / inventor
executive
the shadows breathe
whispering me away
5’8” height
5’8” height
awards
4,335 posts
Lulu Flint DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @lulu
Lulu Flint
pies and punches [m][c]
POSTED ON Oct 8, 2020 3:21:07 GMT
Lulu Flint Avatar

she didn’t like this. the little nod, the challenge sent warmth to her hands and her face.

it was certainly true that lulu was unaware of skyler’s true character, and she was distrusting of most she did know well enough, regardless. they’d been rip-roaringly drunk the night they’d met, and the fact of the matter was, if not for the damned coin, she would not have been standing in the woman’s kitchen, close enough to lean in and smell her wild, golden hair.

as the sailor was so within reach, lulu decided to take a different opportunity. her hand grabbed her shoulder and twisted so that she’d be facing skyler head-on with the woman’s back to the counter.

“you won’t like anything that i have to trade.” she responded flatly, staring into her silver eyes with a fresh edge that meant business.

close tab

played by

owli

dross, captain
she, her
august 17
Lilycove, Hoenn
bisexual
sailor / treasure hunter
nautica owner
awards
2,345 posts
skyler dross DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @skyler
skyler dross
pies and punches [m][c]
POSTED ON Oct 10, 2020 11:47:22 GMT
skyler dross Avatar

She didn't have time to react before a hand grabbed onto her shoulder and twisted. Her breath left her lungs as the edge of the counter dug into the small of her back - and then got stuck in her throat when she saw Lu looming in front of her, amber eyes cold and serious. The woman was standing so close, Skyler didn't have to imagine the warmth radiating from her skin.

At the same time that her heart suddenly went haywire, her brain decided to remind her that Lu was a stranger; and a dangerous one at that. The way she'd handled those guns back in Skyler's boat that night - lessons aside - spoke of a life lived in violence. And yet- 

And
yet.

Skyler was sure Lu could see the way her pupils dilated, the sudden frenzy of her heartbeat, the self-conscious confusion that glimmered briefly in silver eyes before it was gone the next second.

A calloused hand rose to grab onto Lu's own, which still rested over Skyler's shoulder. There was strength in the grip, and it looked for a moment as if Skyler meant to rip it away - before the grip loosened slightly. And while Skyler's initial surprise could have been taken for capitulation, she now planted her feet firmly on the floor and stood her ground. 

"You'd be surprised, Lu." Her free hand reached out behind her, grabbing one of the beer cans (
Was it Lu's? She wasn't sure.) and taking a gulp. When her eyes met Lu's again, there was an unholy light in them. "Fight me."

She'd gone insane. Clearly.

● tags:
● notes: