2,558 posts
cait alfric DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @cait
cait alfric
work hours . [ mission ]
POSTED ON Nov 18, 2020 15:39:48 GMT
cait alfric Avatar
the work was simple enough and the hours ran at a rigid eight. she was given an identification badge to wear for the convenience of whomever approached, a kindly and frail-looking woman informing her that she'd be keeping an eye out for trouble whilst aiding visitors. cait was also warned that she'd be expected to remain on her feet for some hours, but the girl seemed unperturbed by this; adapted to a lifestyle that required she remain mobile and upright. 

'i'm happy they're letting me take pictures,' she thought.

she took a few pictures of herself and the displays behind her, making sure to only send the best to her boyfriend. cait tucked away the phone once people began to trickle in, her vaporeon at her heel as she went about answering simple questions. the girl was kept in an area that covered artwork relating to the legendary pokemon who were strongly associated to the sea or bodies of water, her knowledge relating to each surprisingly vast.

'makes me wonder why i didn't go for a major in religious studies.' 

"doing alright over here?"

there were only a few staff members and volunteers in sight - but she had been assigned one young man to help her on this floor. 

"
it's a bit dead. not too surprising with it being a weekday.

close tab

played by

Epic BugCatcher

Dr. Doug
He/Him
20 (40)
March 3
Viridian City, Kanto
It just works
Lt. Colonel, Medical Corps
AQUA Initiative
Playing hard to get
With a time traveler
5' 11" (181 cm) / 180 lbs (82 kg) height
You're being healed. Please do not resist.
awards
2,831 posts
part of
TAG WITH @bugcatcherdoug
John Sullivan
work hours . [ mission ]
POSTED ON Nov 18, 2020 21:13:43 GMT
John Sullivan Avatar

Eight hours of standing around and answering people's questions on subjects he was barely acquainted with...

Well, he did volunteer. No use having regrets now.

At least his companion was handling most of the work.

"Yep." He said, reaching up to adjust his straw hat. "Thanks to you, mostly." He admitted shamelessly, winking at her.

"I know nothing about water type Pokemon." He said, before gesturing with his head to the little spider at his feet, who waved one of its many legs at the lady as if on cue. "Other than this cutie anyway."

They must have really been pressed for volunteers; his only qualification for the job was lots of patience and the ability to stand still for long periods of time without complaint.

Thankfully though, his companion was right: it had been a relatively light day. Enough so that she could handle all the visitors while he stood around, folded his hands behind his back, and smiled at the children who couldn't seem to get enough of the straw hat.

All in all, not a particularly equal partnership here, now that he thought about it.

"Hn... Maybe I should be the one to take care of cleaning this place later." He said unprompted, turning his head to look at her. "I wouldn't be contributing much here otherwise, eh?"

close tab

played by

y o y o

cai
she/her
twenty-three
may 15
fortree
bisexual
herbalist
civilian
sénon game
engaged
596 height
596 height
slithers of wistful window gazes glint in borrowed light
awards
2,558 posts
cait alfric DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @cait
cait alfric
work hours . [ mission ]
POSTED ON Nov 19, 2020 13:22:15 GMT
cait alfric Avatar
it wasn't at all strange that she hadn't been in the presence of children or adolescents much for the duration of her career with the league; the older types comparatively more active within the organization. but with the amount of dangers present nowadays, cait felt that youths were to be kept safeguarded and purposefully distanced from the frontlines.

'we're not one to actively employ child soldiers, after all.' 

"that would help," she said. "
but i think the janitor can handle that just fine once we're done here."

she turned towards the nearest display, beckoning for him to join her in peering at the piece of art. it was an well-aged painting that depicted kyogre, its edges crumbling but the piece mostly preserved. her vaporeon offered the dewpider a light and investigative sniff before proceeding to groom themselves, uninterested.

"
how familiar are you with the ancients?"

at his age, she had been studying religious and informational texts relating to the legendary beasts. but she surmised that since she was homeschooled in a deeply religious household, her curriculum differed from his own.

"
everyone should have a faint idea on who kyogre is. but figures like manaphy are far more obscure in comparison."  

close tab

played by

Epic BugCatcher

Dr. Doug
He/Him
20 (40)
March 3
Viridian City, Kanto
It just works
AQUA Initiative
Playing hard to get
With a time traveler
awards
2,831 posts
part of
TAG WITH @bugcatcherdoug
John Sullivan
work hours . [ mission ]
POSTED ON Nov 20, 2020 2:16:12 GMT
John Sullivan Avatar

No point in taking the Janitor's job away from them, he supposed. Though that did leave him with no way to contribute.

At least she didn't seem to be holding his uselessness against him. She was being fairly amicable! He couldn't help but answer earnestly, despite his lack of interest on the subject.

"Mostly just Kanto's side of 'em. I'm not terribly well read on Hoenn tradition." Good thing they taught the basics of the local religion in School. He would have been even more ignorant otherwise.

"I've heard about Kyogre... somewhat." He said as he joined her in front of the ancient piece, looking up to it with mild curiosity. Of what he saw, he wondered how much was reality and how much was artistic rendition. "Created the sea, got into a spat with Groudon, mostly won the spat?"

Last bit was admittedly his interpretation- but when one of them had 70% of the Earth covered in their element, it was hard to consider the conclusion of the fight a draw as his teacher had tried to convey.

"What's a Manaphy, though?" He asked shortly after, tilting his head at her. "'nother Ancient, I take it?"

close tab

played by

y o y o

cai
she/her
twenty-three
may 15
fortree
bisexual
herbalist
civilian
sénon game
engaged
596 height
596 height
awards
2,558 posts
cait alfric DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @cait
cait alfric
work hours . [ mission ]
POSTED ON Nov 20, 2020 3:19:16 GMT
cait alfric Avatar
she was in full agreement that kyogre had succeeded more so than his ground-type counterpart.

'ah, groudon. our lord of the land - and his chosen - our champion.'

cait possessed complicated feelings toward miss cooper. but she acknowledged the woman's position as both a fellow avatar and a leader. memories return in a wave, one in which the woman had pointed a gun in her direction - and another involving their brief battle. admittedly, their interactions so far had been unpleasant. 

'but i still prefer her over the former champion.'

it is a small blessing that the ground-type expert was likely to barely remember someone such as herself. 

"manaphy is considered a prince of the sea," she began. "
a godling who can bond and rally the mortals who occupy their respective realm."

cait remembered researching the creatures who occupied the sea at great length. her family had loathed the great expanse of salty liquid and disliked the gods that reign there for generations, the bitterness originating from when they had initally traveled and lost no less than one-third of their own when making their way to hoenn by sea. the deceased had to be buried in the water, the bodies of her ancestors tossed into the depths shortly after their passing.

"there is also lugia who holds some influence," she said. "it's a strange thing knowing they aren't a water-type - but a flying-type and a psychic-type instead. arceus works in the strangest ways."

a pause follows as cait eyes the boy with a curious gleam in her eye.

"
do you have a favorite legendary?"

it was a mildly childish question, but she couldn't help but present it to him.  

close tab

played by

Epic BugCatcher

Dr. Doug
He/Him
20 (40)
March 3
Viridian City, Kanto
It just works
AQUA Initiative
Playing hard to get
With a time traveler
awards
2,831 posts
part of
TAG WITH @bugcatcherdoug
John Sullivan
work hours . [ mission ]
POSTED ON Nov 20, 2020 4:09:09 GMT
John Sullivan Avatar

This had somehow turned into a theological lesson.

Given the context of their assignment, it made sense. He really needed some education on the subject if he was going to be doing this job properly.

Though this was a tad quick and loose. Better than school at least.

Manaphy turned out to be a little more interesting than he thought. "A pokemon prince? Huh. What does rallying the people mean, though?" Obviously, it meant he could make the people follow him... but why though? For what purpose?

He wasn't particularly faithful or religious, so he tended to skip on the symbolism and metaphorical meanings of legends and go straight into the practical- ironically impractical as that may have been.

His head snapped back to his impromptu teacher at the mention of the Johtonian legend.

"Oh, I know that one." Kanto and Johto were deeply tied nations; he knew quite a few Johtonian stories, and he suspected the people of Johto were well acquainted with Kantonian legend as well.

"How would a Flying and Psychic pokemon survive deep under the sea? Doesn't it supposedly live in a trench?" How had anyone gotten close enough to even study it so thoroughly? He doubted a pokedex would give any info on it.

"Huh? Favorite?" He said, tilting his head before shrugging. "Uh. I dunno. There's not any 'Bug-type' Legendary pokemon that I know of."

He paused.

"I guess there's one. I've only heard of him from a few classmates though. A Kalosian legend... The bringer of life, Xerneas."

A legendary pokemon that dabbled with and protected all living beings... Yeah, he liked that one a lot more than the others.

close tab

played by

y o y o

cai
she/her
twenty-three
may 15
fortree
bisexual
herbalist
civilian
sénon game
engaged
596 height
596 height
awards
2,558 posts
cait alfric DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @cait
cait alfric
work hours . [ mission ]
POSTED ON Nov 20, 2020 4:36:17 GMT
cait alfric Avatar
"royals are wont to call upon their people for aid," she began. "
at least they did so in the olden days. perhaps i should use a more modern example; like our council. if they're in need of assistance, they'd request the aid of the league and their innumerable allies."

his following question was a good one. but, if memory served - and it often did - the followers of lugia as well as researchers had accumulated relevant information on the sea-bound beast. but her answer remained purposefully vague, cait deciding not to bore him with the details. 

'nothing's wrong with a little bit of mystery.'

"
arceus works in mysterious ways," she repeated, shrugging lightly. "why isn't charizard a dragon? why do we find cubone with their mother's skulls more often than naught? why do nidoking and nidoqueen only breed very rarely in captivity?"

his response to her inquiry was a curious one. cait couldn't help but glance at his dewpider companion, her eyebrows raising high upon her forehead.

'so he likes bug-types then,' she observed.

he was a very intelligent young man, brighter than herself at his age, at the very least.

'and he's still attending school, too. instead of beginning his journey early on.'   

"
perhaps you'll meet a legend  one day, you never know," she said. "i've met a few. groundon, solgaleo and even my own god."

she brightened as she mentioned this, her eyes aglitter with delight at past interactions.  

close tab

played by

Epic BugCatcher

Dr. Doug
He/Him
20 (40)
March 3
Viridian City, Kanto
It just works
AQUA Initiative
Playing hard to get
With a time traveler
awards
2,831 posts
part of
TAG WITH @bugcatcherdoug
John Sullivan
work hours . [ mission ]
POSTED ON Nov 20, 2020 13:43:26 GMT
John Sullivan Avatar

That he understood, but...

He couldn't help but wonder. "Pokémon royalty that ruled over humans, though?" Some pokemon were even smarter than humans, but even they had eventually found themselves in a pokeball.

"Wonder how many of pokemon lead humanity before these little gizmos." He said as he produced his Dewpider's pokeball, spinning it on his finger ponderously.

Arceus did indeed work in mysterious ways. At one of her many examples, he couldn't but chuckle, then smirk.

"Careful there, you just stepped over a playground landmine. Kids in Kanto got into mudfights over Charizard's 'Dragon'ness all the time." Despite one side of the argument being factually wrong.

"I've got nothing for the Cubones. Nidoking and Nidoqueen, my guess is the moonstone radiation that makes them evolve has a high chance of making them sterile." He said, scratching at his chin.

He turned his gaze back to the Kyogre's painting, examining it as she spoke. She had lived an eventful life, it seemed- so many legendaries.

"Huh. Maybe I should stick around ya; you seem to have their attention." He said with a laugh. "Who's 'your god', though?"

close tab

played by

y o y o

cai
she/her
twenty-three
may 15
fortree
bisexual
herbalist
civilian
sénon game
engaged
596 height
596 height
awards
2,558 posts
cait alfric DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @cait
cait alfric
work hours . [ mission ]
POSTED ON Nov 20, 2020 14:10:30 GMT
cait alfric Avatar
she pondered over the idea of a pokemon-ruled society where humans were an active component. the issue of language became an important factor; but she imagined it wasn't an improbable scenario nor was it highly unlikely.

'did pokeballs change everything?'

pokeballs within her family were used only for convenience, their pokemon serving as companions and family.

'we're heavily diverse. but equal, regardless.'

perhaps modern society would state otherwise - anything non-human considered subservient to their kind.

'and my pokemon do refer to me as mistress. am i any different?' 

cait would think on it another time and at length. 

'i suppose i'll return to my religious texts then. there's sure to be a passage somewhere that i glossed over.' 

his guesswork was somewhat credible in direct relation to the nidoqueen and nidoking breeding complications. their success rate was adequate in the wilds, but something about captivity dwindled their chances by a sizeable margin.

'i might as well become a researcher at this rate,' she thought, snorting softly. 'all these questions and they're in dire need of answering.'

"celebi," she answered, simply. "
i was raised in a family that has worshipped celebi for countless generations. our oldest text is roughly five-hundred years old. i think we had older ones - but they were lost when we came to hoenn."

unsurprisingly, there were different sects for different pokemon. it often branched off depending on type, curiously enough.

virizion, celebi, tapu bulu, shaymin and calyrex each possessed their own followers who adhered to doctrines that differed from one another. communication between these sects were limited, their chosen paths resulting in their division. strangely enough, it wasn't unusual to see green hair among their bunch regardless of their legendary; whether dyed or entirely natural.

'i guess green is just how we like it. for obvious reasons.' 

"
i hope i don't sound too preachy. i try to stay away from that when i can help it. i just really enjoy talking about the subject," she said, her tone apologetic.  

close tab

played by

Epic BugCatcher

Dr. Doug
He/Him
20 (40)
March 3
Viridian City, Kanto
It just works
AQUA Initiative
Playing hard to get
With a time traveler
awards
2,831 posts
part of
TAG WITH @bugcatcherdoug
John Sullivan
work hours . [ mission ]
POSTED ON Nov 21, 2020 16:07:32 GMT
John Sullivan Avatar

"Oh, that's another one I know." He said, "So you guys came from Johto?"

She had met the guardian of the forests.

"... Did you see it time travel? Did you get to time travel?" He asked, eyes wider than before.

Wouldn't he have loved to have a chance to time travel? One chance is all it would have taken to save Kanto and his parents.

His line of thought came to a crashing halt. The heck was this wishy-washy mentality...?

He shook his head, reaching up to tip his hat. "Sorry about the silly question, uh..."

He glanced down at her name tag.

"Cait. Don't worry about preachiness or whatever, it's fun to 'ear 'bout Legendary pokemon. Must have taken my school's teach a masterclass to make it better than hypnosis at sending ya right to bed." He said, yawning at the memory alone.

That man's droning monotone could put to rest even the most dedicated of students.

"Thanks for the lesson- looks like we'll have to stop now, tho." He said, pointing over his shoulder with his thumb, were a few new visitors were beginning to file in.

"How about we pick this up another time? You seem to know your stuff- and I ain't learning anything from school anyway." He said with a chuckle as he turned to face the visitors, stretching his arms above his head with a grunt before waving cheerfully, tipping his hat at 'em.

"Step right up, ladies and gents!"

TAG: @
close tab

played by

SHIV

GONGAGER
he/him
October 13
GONGAGA
gongaga-romantic
gongager
gongago
me?
gongaga
808 height
808 height
WHERE ARE UNOVA REMAKES
awards
38,257 posts
shiv DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @shiv
shiv
work hours . [ mission ]
POSTED ON Nov 24, 2020 2:04:06 GMT
shiv Avatar
[nospaces]
[attr="class","TRAINER"]
[attr="class","omaccepted"]
[attr="class","omacceptedtop"]MISSION COMPLETE!

[attr="class","omacceptedmid"]

YOU RECEIVE THE REWARDS BELOW:[break]

[attr="class","omacceptedlinks"]
[attr="class","omacceptedlinks1"]TAGS: