2,558 posts
cait alfric DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @cait
cait alfric
i'd rather sleep . [ mission ]
POSTED ON Nov 22, 2020 10:15:57 GMT
cait alfric Avatar

the stone that had been erected some generations had been only recently cleaned, cait having taken on the task in lieu of her family's absence. the memorial was impressively tall, the names there neatly etched into its hard surface. every marking were kept small but perfectly legible, those who performed the task minding the limited space.

'my name will be here. one day.' 

her great-auntie had passed in the midst of the evacuation, having been taken by the gods in her sleep as she was nearing her ninety-sixth year. it was a peaceful end in the midst of all the chaos - all the frantic packing - the arrangements for her burial hurriedly made. but her name had been added prior to everyone's departure; carefully and respectfully. 

'i doubt you wanted to die overseas. away from our home.'

despite the circumstances, cait partially blamed the death on the war's abrupt arrival. in all the excitement, the elderly were vulnerable. the civilians among their number were vulnerable. it was ridiculous how many they had lost, the people torn asunder by the hands of rocket or creatures that had breached their reality. 

"
arceus cannot control the whims of man - nor pokemon - for we are all gifted the freedom of choice. and our hearts are easily swayed."

could arceus be truly faulted for actions taken by creatures who resided in their earthly domain? it was akin to blaming a king for the actions of a mere peasant.

"hm."

she reached into her pocket and deposited fresh seed, minding the depth in which she buried it by hand.  her eyes glow faintly with power, fresh wild flowers coming to life and blooming beneath her gaze.

"rest in peace, auntie. the kingdom of arceus is yours."

s e t t i n g - cemetery

[ mission ]  

@ o p e n
close tab

played by

Epic BugCatcher

Dr. Doug
He/Him
20 (40)
March 3
Viridian City, Kanto
It just works
Lt. Colonel, Medical Corps
AQUA Initiative
Playing hard to get
With a time traveler
5' 11" (181 cm) / 180 lbs (82 kg) height
You're being healed. Please do not resist.
awards
2,859 posts
part of
TAG WITH @bugcatcherdoug
John Sullivan
POSTED ON Nov 24, 2020 15:50:54 GMT
John Sullivan Avatar

A voice spoke up behind her. Perhaps familiar, perhaps not. Their first meeting had stretched over 8 hours, but that didn't mean she had bothered to remember.

"Fancy meeting you here, missie." He said, standing behind her, straw hat hanging off his neck along his back. He held a bouquet of flowers on one hand, it leaning against his shoulder while he tugged uncomfortably at his necktie with the other.

He wasn't used to wearing a suit for this kind of work, but he supposed he should just be glad he now had a suit and consistent work.

"Hope I ain't being too rude. Still not used to this kinda stuff." He said, his gaze moving away from her to the memorial in front of her. He seemed to at least understand this was an important place to her, and took a step back.

close tab

played by

y o y o

cai
she/her
twenty-three
may 15
fortree
bisexual
herbalist
civilian
sénon game
engaged
596 height
596 height
slithers of wistful window gazes glint in borrowed light
awards
2,558 posts
cait alfric DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @cait
cait alfric
POSTED ON Nov 25, 2020 3:01:18 GMT
cait alfric Avatar

she appeared mildly surprised by the youth's appearance, her expression betraying as much. cait took him in in his entirety, the boy's attire fit for mourning. the colors he sported were appropriately dark, though his tie was slightly askew - but only barely. 

"
c'mere, baby. let me adjust that necktie of yours."

there was a motherly air about her as she moved to fix it, her touch respectful and gentle.

"thank you for coming to fortree," she said, shifting her focus from her family's funeral plot and retreating a step. "i heard people from all over were visiting every city to show their respect for those losts."

it was unofficially referred to as 'the days of mourning'. travel temporary covered by the league to allow civilian and league member alike to travel and express their condolences.

"i was just visiting my family's memorial stone. it goes some generations back. you see?"

she pointed out the names, the smile she wore achingly tender. 

"we have a long history here. but that much is obvious, considering how many names you see."  

close tab

played by

Epic BugCatcher

Dr. Doug
He/Him
20 (40)
March 3
Viridian City, Kanto
It just works
AQUA Initiative
Playing hard to get
With a time traveler
awards
2,859 posts
part of
TAG WITH @bugcatcherdoug
John Sullivan
POSTED ON Nov 25, 2020 16:58:55 GMT
John Sullivan Avatar

Doug craned his head back and let her the pretty lady fix his tie, humming his gratitude.

"Much obliged. Couldn't get it perfect no matter how many times I tried." He said, chuckling. He could only hope he got better with practice.

Her guess about him was correct. He was one of the many paying their respects.

It was easier to empathize with others than to attend to his own issues.

"Guess it's become a thing, then." He said, nodding. "I've some business here in Fortree; it ain't urgent, though. So I came."

His gaze was pulled back to the monument as she pointed each name out, his gaze moving over each and every one before it came back to her.

He tilted his head. "It a special day for y'all?" He said, wondering.

He didn't doubt a woman like her was already taking part in the 'Days of Mourning', but she was visiting her family's monument specifically.

"That's a lotta names, gotta say." He said, "If I 'member right, y'all were from Johto before, right?"

For a family to keep track of its lineage for so many generations... He wondered why.

close tab

played by

y o y o

cai
she/her
twenty-three
may 15
fortree
bisexual
herbalist
civilian
sénon game
engaged
596 height
596 height
awards
2,558 posts
cait alfric DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @cait
cait alfric
POSTED ON Nov 26, 2020 3:33:03 GMT
cait alfric Avatar

she brightened as he recalled their previous conversation, her verdant gaze filled with delight as his willingness to retain information. 

"we were!"

cait peered at the stone once again, her smile lessening slightly as her gaze traveled its length.

"
and no. i  volunteered to make sure things remained orderly and functional. with so many people coming around to pay us a visit, it's our responsibility to make sure the peace is maintained.

it was a shame that guards and watchful eyes were necessary in such a mournful setting - but pokemon and humans were an unpredictable lot.

"
we settled in hoenn hundreds of years ago to escape persecution for our religious beliefs - as well as prejudice for our appearance. where we were originally from, we weren't allowed to own property - mingle with the general population - or take jobs above that of a laborer."

she was certain that his schooling likely discussed such a topic. but cait was uncertain if it was truly discussed at length. her family's history wasn't well-known, though there was a handful of authors in her line that published works about their well-documented history. 

"
it was a rough start here. but the opportunities were vast in comparison. we could claim land, start and own businesses and practice more freely. it was hard - but it was better.

close tab

played by

Epic BugCatcher

Dr. Doug
He/Him
20 (40)
March 3
Viridian City, Kanto
It just works
AQUA Initiative
Playing hard to get
With a time traveler
awards
2,859 posts
part of
TAG WITH @bugcatcherdoug
John Sullivan
POSTED ON Nov 26, 2020 14:14:24 GMT
John Sullivan Avatar

"Gotcha. I'll keep it brief, then." He said, not wanting to distract her from her work.

The memorial was sobering in a way that could make even an occasional jokester like him somber. The list of names stretched on forever both side-&-up ways, and one could tell that a large number of them had been added recently, their etchings upon the black stone clear and untouched by the elements, compared to others.

Bouquet of flowers in hand, the youth approached the monument and placed them near the rest. Many others had come to visit, it seemed. Many had left much grander offerings to the dead- he only had enough money for a bouquet, so it'll have to do.

He wasn't particularly religious, but he still brought his hands together and muttered a prayer.

And with that, he was done.

He turned back to Cait, and she let him know a bit more of her family's history. He more or less had an idea of what she spoke- but of course, it was different to hear of it as experience instead of historical fact.

"Weird to think Johto used to be such a horrible place." He said, eyes glazing over slightly in memory. "We used to go there all the time. People seemed nice."

He seemed to realize what he said a moment later- so he shook his head sharply, blowing out air.

"'pologies 'bout that; 'course a place ain't the same after hundreds o'years." He said, reaching to adjust his hat- and realizing it wasn't on his head for once. He began fetching it behind his head."Though Hoenn's still a great place to start over."

If the constant strife didn't kill you, that is.

"I don't think I like Hoenn too much, tho." He said, finally finding his hat, placing it atop his head and tipping it down. "Seems like troubles brew up one after another, no matter what we do."

close tab

played by

y o y o

cai
she/her
twenty-three
may 15
fortree
bisexual
herbalist
civilian
sénon game
engaged
596 height
596 height
awards
2,558 posts
cait alfric DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @cait
cait alfric
POSTED ON Nov 27, 2020 3:12:23 GMT
cait alfric Avatar

she felt no small amount of sympathy for the youth. cait had even wallowed in her own self-pity after her partial retirement was immediately followed by the call for arms.

'but he's just a kid,' she thought. 'a baby.' 

until someone reached their eighteenth year, she had the tendency to refer to them as such. her own mother and grandmother had did much the same, the woman having adopted their wording.  

"hopefully there's peace - sooner as opposed to later."

cait moved and reached for her auntie's name, her fingers passing over the etching.

'i'll visit all of you later,' she promised. 

she'd immediately return her attention to the youth, curious about his traveling arrangements. 

"
are you here with or without a guardian?"

it was entirely optional at his age - considering little ones at the tender age of ten could explore the region at their leisure. 

'gods, my parents would have had an absolute fit if i went down that route.' 

"
and how are you getting back home, by the by?

close tab

played by

Epic BugCatcher

Dr. Doug
He/Him
20 (40)
March 3
Viridian City, Kanto
It just works
AQUA Initiative
Playing hard to get
With a time traveler
awards
2,859 posts
part of
TAG WITH @bugcatcherdoug
John Sullivan
POSTED ON Nov 27, 2020 13:30:16 GMT
John Sullivan Avatar

Doug flicked the brim of his hat up while tilting a brow, grinning at Cait.

"Come on now, I'm 16, not 6. I don't need a guardian!" He said with a laugh, though he still patted his jacket, were his pokeballs were hidden. "But I guess I have a few. Six of them, as a matter of fact."

He winked.

"I promise though, I can handle myself. Got plenty of practice since I arrived to Hoenn." He said. "I'm even licensed to look after others now."

He reached into his jacket's inner pocket, producing his spanking brand new League Trainer Card, marking him as an officer for the Hoenn Pokemon League.

"It's all going well at the homeless camp. Got Healthcare now, so my gramps can go get checked at the hospital." He said. "Been traveling farther and more frequently since I became part of the league. Seems like they are little understaffed, so they've run me ragged."

He chuckled, shrugging his shoulders.

"Can't complain though, I needed the experience more than my own pokemon did." He said, smirking at his own little pun.

close tab

played by

y o y o

cai
she/her
twenty-three
may 15
fortree
bisexual
herbalist
civilian
sénon game
engaged
596 height
596 height
awards
2,558 posts
cait alfric DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @cait
cait alfric
POSTED ON Nov 27, 2020 14:03:50 GMT
cait alfric Avatar

she peered at the identification, her brows furrowed and her painted lips forming a frown of disapproval. it didn't help when he had mentioned his living circumstances, which involved him and his family occupying a homeless encampment. one that was likely built post-rocket occupation; it was an absolute wonder that he could attend public school on a regular basis.

'what is slateport doing? letting children live in a arceus-forsaken homeless camp. i know the city's population is big, but this isn't - .' 

cait resisted the urge to bite her lip.

'on top of that he's an officer now. a literal child soldier, at this point.' 

her upbringing heavily influenced her perspective, the girl irked by the mere prospect that great responsibility would inevitably be heaped onto the teenager's narrow shoulders. 

'hold your tongue. hold it.'

cait forced a small smile, though it failed to reach her green-eyed gaze. she reached into her pocket, producing a pen and a notepad she often kept if she lacked her phone. she scribbled a series of numbers on it, pressing it gently into the youth's hands. 

"this is my contact information," she informed. "
if you, your pokemon or your family need anything - please call me. okay?"

who was she to say he couldn't be an officer? especially when he'd likely be in need of the extra income to eventually afford semi-decent housing. but still - still

"
okay?" she repeated, catching his eyes with her own.  

close tab

played by

Epic BugCatcher

Dr. Doug
He/Him
20 (40)
March 3
Viridian City, Kanto
It just works
AQUA Initiative
Playing hard to get
With a time traveler
awards
2,859 posts
part of
TAG WITH @bugcatcherdoug
John Sullivan
POSTED ON Nov 28, 2020 16:28:20 GMT
John Sullivan Avatar

He had noticed her frown, if nothing else. He wasn't sure what he had said that had cause it- seemed to be about his license, but he couldn't really fathom why she would disapprove.

She certainly didn't share, so he couldn't even be sure if he had actually displeased her or if she had just recalled something annoying.

Of course, she was offering him her phone number by the end of his words, so he had clearly also done something right.

"Uh, okay." He said, staring at the digits wide eyed. This was the first time a pretty girl offered him her number. He was too shocked to question it.

Absentmindedly, he pocketed into his jacket, wondering why the best luck he ever had with a girl was at a bloody cemetery.

Arceus truly worked in mysterious ways.

close tab

played by

SHIV

GONGAGER
he/him
October 13
GONGAGA
gongaga-romantic
gongager
gongago
me?
gongaga
808 height
808 height
WHERE ARE UNOVA REMAKES
awards
38,652 posts
shiv DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @shiv
shiv
POSTED ON Nov 29, 2020 1:07:08 GMT
shiv Avatar
[nospaces]
[attr="class","TRAINER"]
[attr="class","omaccepted"]
[attr="class","omacceptedtop"]MISSION COMPLETE!

[attr="class","omacceptedmid"]

YOU RECEIVE THE REWARDS BELOW:[break]

[attr="class","omacceptedlinks"]
[attr="class","omacceptedlinks1"]TAGS: