awards
412 posts
part of
TAG WITH @chryssa
chryssa glasgow
the wish [sw]
POSTED ON Dec 11, 2020 16:12:14 GMT
chryssa glasgow Avatar
Chryssa left the Verdanturf Contest hall at a wobble, spinning her cap on one finger. She was half-dressed in full show regalia, tights and skirt and elevated platform shoes— but she’d thrown a soft white winter jacket over the ensemble and her hair was unbound, mussed from wearing the hat.

She was also talking on the phone. “...It was Semi-finals. Just lost, unfortunately! Yes, a local contest, nothing too spectacular. I’m still working on building my reputation.” She was having trouble getting an in here on Hoenn. In some ways, she was fascinated by how different the style here was from her home region. Being freed from Sinnoh’s stricter Contest regulations had actually been liberating, but she hadn’t quite nailed down what the judges and audiences around here were really looking for yet.

“Well, the foundation is asking how you’re doing. We hope you’re accomplishing your dreams over there,” a woman’s voice said, her doubt carefully masked. They both knew Hoenn was dangerous. Chryssa could still hear it in her word choice, in her careful enunciation. “You’re in all of our prayers here, darling.”

“Of course,” the girl said, tight-lipped. She slowed to a standstill halfway down the steps of the Contest Hall. The cold winds ruffled her skirts and numbed her skin, making her shiver. There was an uncomfortable pause as her mother waited for her to say something. Chryssa didn’t.

“Anyway. Your father wants to know if we’ll be able to see your performance on TV. We enjoyed the Petalburg airing, even though we didn’t get to see you...”

"That’s because it was an audial performance," Chryssa said coolly. It was a stark change from her normally expressive tones. Funny how mentioning Arceus could do that. "Honestly, I don’t approve of media trying to capture a performance medium in the first place. There’s only so much cameras can do."

“Well, we still enjoyed it,” Her mother said firmly. She was used to this mood. “Chryssa, dear... I know it’s only been a couple months since you left, but we were hoping to see you for the holidays. I know the foundation wants you to focus on building your career, but we still miss you. The pastor says The Hymn to the One doesn’t sound the same without you...”

“No, I don’t think so,” Chryssa said, tone vacant, eyes drifting. She could almost hear the organs, the swelling choir, see the light shining down from the stained-glass windows. “Maybe next year.”

Her mother hesitated. Will there be a next year? Chryssa could hear her wondering.

“...Maybe next year.”

There was another long pause. "I have to go," the girl said, "Intermission is over soon and I need to find a present for... someone. I just wanted to let you know how the Contest went."

“I hope your wish comes true, dear. We all do.”

Chryssa hung up. She’d stopped shivering. Something glacial had settled in her, something that eclipsed the chill of the Verdanturf highlands. At her side her fingers tightened on her cane, knuckles growing white.

"Oh, mother. You have no idea,” she murmured.
close tab

played by

SHIV

GONGAGER
he/him
October 13
GONGAGA
gongaga-romantic
gongager
gongago
me?
gongaga
808 height
808 height
WHERE ARE UNOVA REMAKES
awards
38,791 posts
shiv DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @shiv
shiv
the wish [sw]
POSTED ON Dec 11, 2020 23:17:53 GMT
shiv Avatar
[nospaces]

[attr="class","wildtemp"]
[attr="class","wildbgsea"]

[attr="class","wildtitle"]A WILD SHARPEDO APPEARED!

[attr="class","wildshiny"]

[attr="class","wildpkmnbox"]
[attr="class","wildpkmn"]

[attr="class","wildtab"]
[attr="class","wildtabox"] MALE
[attr="class","wildtabox2"] ROUGH SKIN
[attr="class","wildtabox"]SLASH
[attr="class","wildtabox2"]LIQUIDATION
[attr="class","wildtabox"]CRUNCH
[attr="class","wildtabox2"]POISON FANG
[attr="class","wildtabox"]---
[attr="class","wildtabox2"] ---

[attr="class","wildtag"]

[attr="class","wildnote"] WHAT WILL YOU DO?

close tab

played by

murk

Not-Chryssa
She/Her
May 1
Eterna City, Sinnoh
Panromantic
radio host
agent
as flies to wanton boys are we to the gods; they kill us for their sport
awards
412 posts
part of
TAG WITH @chryssa
chryssa glasgow
the wish [sw]
POSTED ON Dec 14, 2020 15:53:05 GMT
chryssa glasgow Avatar

Chryssa wasn't sure when she'd made the conscious decision that she wasn't going back to Sinnoh. She wasn't sure whether she didn't want to return or whether she just didn't expect to. As both she and her parents knew, time was limited. They just didn't know when. Just another small cruelty, she thought. She wasn't bitter. Just detached. Just another gift from the Original One, meant to temper the joys of youth. 

But that wasn't unique, was it? It was the subject of countless plays, novels, works of art. The pain of knowing you would die but not knowing when was what made a person human. It was what separated them from Pokemon. Chryssa could almost be envious of the powerful creatures, spending themselves in faith for their owners without ever knowing what was to come.

Perhaps Arceus should have stayed their god. 

It was the deepest flaw of Sinnoh. That streak of zeal for the Creator seemed to saturate every monument, every history book, every mantle above every fireplace crowned with the symbol of His Wheel. Tourists probably didn't even notice it-- but the insignia was entrenched in Chryssa's mind, seared there like the ritual of Breaking she'd gone through as a child. In the beginning, before the world was shaped and all was nothing, He emerged from The Egg...

Sometimes she thought she could still feel it in her hair, down her neck, slithering cold and viscous down her skin. Her parents had thought the cleansing rite would bless her, would cure her. Being able to stand again had seemed proof of this miracle. But miracles aren't everything, right? Chryssa thought, browsing through the flower gardens on the outskirts of the town. She moved slowly. The highland air was still freezing, but she had hardened herself against it. It felt good to be numb. 

Passing by a small pond decorated with small lights and sprigs of holly, Chryssa noticed a tall, sharp-edged fin cutting through the water. "Is that a Sharpedo?" she asked incredulously. She paused-- she was supposed to be hunting for an Arceusmas gift. 

She enjoyed the trappings of Arceusmas. The frivolity. The playful Sawsbuck and Santa imagery, the pop remixes of tired old traditional music, the garish presents exchanged with friends and loved ones. But behind all that, like an impossible blackness, the celebration was for the birth of the universe, and the waking of the one who placed its stars. Created life itself, then watched them burn out one by one. 

Chryssa believed in God. She just wanted him dead.

It was why she was here. Not the Contests-- that was just the official story. No one would sponsor a dying girl whose (charity-sponsored) wish was to defy her own fate. It wasn't marketable, at least not outside of fiction. It wasn't achievable, not by any corporate means. When it came down to it, no matter the result, charity was just that: charity. Pity. A way of averting one's eyes from the poor, terminal girl who'd beat a million-to-one odds by standing again, but couldn't beat her own mortality. 

Well, Chryssa was tired of pity. It was time for action. 

"Pokeball, go." The fin, and the rest of the Sharpedo, disappeared inside the ball, which floated back to the surface. Chryssa summoned her cane and fished it out with the tip, drying it off on her coat and putting it away inside one of the pockets. It was getting too cold to stay out here hunting much longer-- she'd come back once she'd changed into something more appropriate, and maybe once she was in a better frame of mind. Something more thoughtful. Something more generous. 

Something less radical. Something less lethal.

close tab

played by

SHIV

GONGAGER
he/him
October 13
GONGAGA
gongaga-romantic
gongager
gongago
me?
gongaga
808 height
808 height
WHERE ARE UNOVA REMAKES
awards
38,791 posts
shiv DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @shiv
shiv
the wish [sw]
POSTED ON Dec 15, 2020 2:17:56 GMT
shiv Avatar
[nospaces]

[attr="class","wildtemp"]
[attr="class","wildbgsea"]

[attr="class","wildtitle"]YOU CAUGHT SHARPEDO!

[attr="class","wildshiny"]

[attr="class","wildpkmnbox"]
[attr="class","wildpkmn"]

[attr="class","wildtab"]
[attr="class","wildtabox"] MALE
[attr="class","wildtabox2"] ROUGH SKIN
[attr="class","wildtabox"]SLASH
[attr="class","wildtabox2"]LIQUIDATION
[attr="class","wildtabox"]CRUNCH
[attr="class","wildtabox2"]POISON FANG
[attr="class","wildtabox"]---
[attr="class","wildtabox2"] ---

[attr="class","wildtag"]

[attr="class","wildnote"]YOU RECEIVE 5 PD!