he/him
October 18th
slateport
undecided
Gym Leader
Ace Trainer
smol height
smol height
i used to dream in the dark of palisades park.
awards
2,381 posts
Hideo Kino DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @hideo
Hideo Kino
Just Toss It In There [M/O]
POSTED ON Dec 15, 2020 19:36:25 GMT
Hideo Kino Avatar
Hideo walked along the beach, scouring it for whatever trash he could find, tossing it in the basket sitting squarely on his back.

Cleaning trash wasn’t the most glorious activity, but somebody had to do it. And it wasn’t like Hideo could go on life-or-death struggles every day (not without his parents finding out).

Still didn’t help with that feeling of discontent; this was the kind of stuff he did when he studying to be a trainer.  He could be so much better than this.

He heard another can clank into his basket - not one that he’d found. Pom, his Aipom, had tossed it in. He carried around a grabber tool for what trash he could find - but for obvious reasons, he wasn’t having much luck. His Pokemon were doing much more of the work than he could; Pom and Wiggle were scouring the sand, while Slaps and Bibble went through the water.

Unbeknownst to him, his Pokemon were also taking care to keep him safe and guide him away from the water - mainly by moving some trash near him to draw him away, and removing any trash that could potentially hurt him. Helped him feel like he was doing something without much risk.

His basket was starting to get heavy, but it seemed like they just kept finding more and more.

At least there was someone else on the beach cleaning up along with him.

Crazy how much trash people leave behind,” he said aloud, “People sure can be lazy. Pretty sure the trash cans aren’t even that far away.

@anyone

close tab

played by

sunshine

plank
she/her
seventeen
march 19th
pacifidlog town
homosexual
rocket grunt
grunt
what's wrong? does nobody here love you? do you feel alone? need somebody to hold you?
awards
313 posts
peggie vela DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @plank
peggie vela
POSTED ON Jan 15, 2021 8:55:19 GMT
peggie vela Avatar
[attr="class","spiral"]Picking up trash is trash. This is boring. No two ways about it, it sucks. Still, Plank can't very well let a beach stay in such a sorry state.

What if some of this got taken in by the tide? What if some poor Magikarp was left to choke on a cola can?

Maybe not a Magikarp, they're pretty hardy, but like . . . a Barboach or something. Whatever. Point is trash in the water is bad, and the only way to make sure it doesn't wind up there is to pick it up.

Still . . .

"Jack, this sucks," she whines to her Chatot on her shoulder, "Ya got any song ideas in that head of yours?"

When she turns her head to look at him he stares back at her blankly, clacks his beak a few times, and then keeps on staring. That'll be a no, then.

"Hey, kiddo!" she calls out to the other volunteer here today, "What about you, huh? Ya got any way t' stop this from bein' such a damn drag?"

She spears a plastic cup and then a takeout container as she asks the question.

[newclass=.spiral]text-align: justify;font-family:calibri;font-size:14px; margin: 0 auto; width: 300px;[/newclass]
[newclass=.spiral b]color: #f9993d[/newclass]
close tab

played by

Blue Star

Hideo
he/him
October 18th
slateport
undecided
Gym Leader
Ace Trainer
smol height
smol height
awards
2,381 posts
Hideo Kino DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @hideo
Hideo Kino
POSTED ON Jan 16, 2021 18:26:24 GMT
Hideo Kino Avatar
His cleaning-mate did have a good point; just walking around and collecting trash wasn’t a very exciting activity. Hideo had gotten tired of doing this long before he got his license. And he wasn’t even doing that much himself; his Pokemon were doing pretty much all the cleaning. So he was mostly just there to direct them and carry around the wastebasket.

But he did perk up overhearing her suggestion. “Well, if you want someone to sing, I know a bit of music~. Wouldn’t mind singing.” It was at least something to do to pass the time.

Only question was what kind of song to sing. “Since we’re on the beach and all...why not start off with a sea shanty? I know a few of ‘em.” Actually an understatement; he knew a lot of them. They were easy to learn, and all you needed was your voice to sing them.

Without even waiting for a response, he began to sing; “♫I thought I heard the old man say ‘Leave her Joooohnny leave heeeeer!’

His Aipom and Bibarel immediately perked up, joining in at each part of the chorus. They were singing along perfectly - which, unfortunately only amounted to them singing their own names, albeit in line with Hideo’s own singing. Wasn’t the first time he’d sung this one to them, and it wasn’t going to be the last.

And he was more than ready to sing the entire shanty with the two of them. His Aipom would still be working at clearing trash out of the sand, even timing it so it’d land in Hideo’s basket along with the rhythm, but his Bibarel was just entirely enraptured by the singing, doing nothing but singing along.

They were singing so loud, in fact, that they couldn’t hear Hideo’s Dewott attempting to warn them that they were attracting attention; a number of a water-type Pokemon were drawn in by the singing, popping out from under the water to listen.

close tab

played by

sunshine

plank
she/her
seventeen
march 19th
pacifidlog town
homosexual
rocket grunt
grunt
what's wrong? does nobody here love you? do you feel alone? need somebody to hold you?
awards
313 posts
peggie vela DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @plank
peggie vela
POSTED ON Jan 16, 2021 20:53:45 GMT
peggie vela Avatar
[attr="class","spiral"]This is quite possibly the best outcome Plank could have asked for. A shanty is exactly the kind of thing to brighten up this awful bore of a job. The brat isn't a bad shantyman, either.

Still, she's not familiar with this version of the song. Not a bad thing, that's why you have shantymen, but it leaves her humming lightly to herself between choruses. Though when the chorus does hit, she and Jack are happy to lend their voices.

"Leave her Johnny, leave her!" the Chatot croaks.

"That's it," Plank praises him before carrying on herself, "Oh, leave her Johnny, leave her! For the voyage is done and the winds don't blow, and it's time for us to leave her!"

Shanties were built for making work pass a bit easier, and this one certainly does its job for Plank. Her energy that had been starting to sag picks back up and she's not even thinking about how long she's been on the beach or how many soda cans she's shook off into her bag. She's just hopping from one bit of trash to the next, wrapped up in the song.

[newclass=.spiral]text-align: justify;font-family:calibri;font-size:14px; margin: 0 auto; width: 300px;[/newclass]
close tab

played by

Blue Star

Hideo
he/him
October 18th
slateport
undecided
Gym Leader
Ace Trainer
smol height
smol height
awards
2,381 posts
Hideo Kino DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @hideo
Hideo Kino
POSTED ON Jan 17, 2021 0:55:41 GMT
Hideo Kino Avatar
Hideo was pleasantly surprised to find that his cleaning-mate sang along with him, including her Pokemon; he’d heard of a Pokemon that could repeat what other people could say, to the point that you could even have a conversation with them. If only he could remember their name.

Whatever the case, he wouldn’t refuse more singers; sea shanties could be done solo, but the more people singing, the better they sounded. And Hideo wasn’t one to turn down more singers, whether human or Pokemon, whether or not in a language he understood.

For the voyage is done and the winds don’t blow. And it’s tiiiime for us to leeeave heeeeeer!” He finished the song on a high note, finishing with a sigh.

He didn’t expect the round of applause coming from the sea; it sounded like a lot more Pokemon than his Dewott and Bibarel were clapping. He wasn’t able to tell just how many Pokemon had emerged from the water to listen - which was a lot.

Guess we got an audience now!” he said, bemused. “Guess we can keep singing shanties. Any you want to start with, Miss? Or you want me to start a new one?

He heard wet fins slapping against sand approach him - his Dewott. He could hear him exert himself a little as he tossed something into his basket.

An idea found its way into the boy’s head. “Hey Slaps; see if you can convince them to help clean up here. We could get a lot more done if they all pitch in.

Slaps was hesitant at first, but after thinking it over for a moment, nodded. He ran back to the ocean, ready to start recruiting some new helpers.

close tab

played by

sunshine

plank
she/her
seventeen
march 19th
pacifidlog town
homosexual
rocket grunt
grunt
awards
313 posts
peggie vela DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @plank
peggie vela
POSTED ON Jan 17, 2021 1:58:43 GMT
peggie vela Avatar
[attr="class","spiral"]It's been a good while since Plank was last able to sing shanties with another person. Usually it's just Jack, and while he's a great mate and knows his cues there's only so much his croaking imitation can do to make up for another genuine voice in the mix. So, by the end of the song Plank is in a proper good mood!

"Not bad, li'l shantyman!" she praises the boy, ignoring the noise from the wild pokemon around them, "But let's see how ya do in the chorus, yeah?"

His invitation to pick the next song is taken up with a fresh surge of excitement, though being called "miss" does leave her scrunching her nose in irritation for a second. Around her she can swear formal language carries a literal stench. Miss, mister, sir, ma'am -- what a bunch of bull. The only title she'll stand to hear is "captain", thank you very much!

"Try this song on, Jack help me out!" she clears her throat a little before starting in a strong and lilting voice.

"Me bully boys of Motostoke I'll have ya t' beware.
When you sail in them packet ships no dungaree jumpers, wear.
But have a good Mankey jacket all ready for transfer!
For there blow some cold nor'westers on the Bay of Circhester!"

Without needing to be told, Jack starts up the chorus.

"We'll scrape her and we'll scrub her with holystone, yes sir!"

And then Plank is with him.

"For there blow some cold nor'westers on the Bay of Circhester!"

ooc: she's singing a slightly altered version of
this song

close tab

played by

Blue Star

Hideo
he/him
October 18th
slateport
undecided
Gym Leader
Ace Trainer
smol height
smol height
awards
2,381 posts
Hideo Kino DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @hideo
Hideo Kino
POSTED ON Jan 18, 2021 0:40:39 GMT
Hideo Kino Avatar
Hideo grinned as the girl complimented him. “Thanks! I get a lot of practice. And I’m sure I’ll do well with what you got next~” Singing was an activity that wasn’t affected by his disability, and his sister loved exposing him to many different types of music. Who could blame him for memorizing some of them, especially the easier-to-sing ones?

The one she started to sing, he recognized; a Galarian shanty (his knowledge about international shanties was far better than his knowledge about other regions). It took him a moment to remember the lyrics, but once it was time for the chorus?

We'll scrape her and we'll scrub her, with holystone yes sir, for there blow some cold nor'westers on the Bay of Circhester!

He stopped walking when he realized far more Pokemon than just Pom and Bibble joined in with that chorus line. And that a number of them were sounding like they were getting closer to him. He knew he did ask Slaps to get their help, but he didn’t think there were this many of them listening along and willing to help.

And once they got close enough, they made sure to give him what trash they found. A lot of them just threw it in there, but a few opted to climb up his body to reach the basket - still singing along when it came to the chorus. Nothing too heavy for him to deal with, but it did catch him off guard.

Still, he tried to sing along; uncomfortable as it was, he didn’t feel like he was in any danger.  His Diglett was directing the crowd too, so they wouldn't overwhelm.

It also helped that he wasn’t going to be the other one dealing with the horde; Slaps had made sure to direct some of them to the other trainer helping to clean up, so as not to overload his own. Quite a few water-type Pokemon made their way to her, each carrying varying amounts of trash they found (in the water or on the beach).

close tab

played by

sunshine

plank
she/her
seventeen
march 19th
pacifidlog town
homosexual
rocket grunt
grunt
awards
313 posts
peggie vela DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @plank
peggie vela
POSTED ON Jan 18, 2021 2:15:30 GMT
peggie vela Avatar
[attr="class","spiral"]It's a surprise (a welcome one!) when the boy picks up on the shanty so fast. Again she feels a little surge of something at getting to do this. Maybe cleaning the beach isn't just her duty as a woman of the sea, maybe it's worth a little extra! At least today.

"Well done, boy, let's keep 'er up!" she shouts, waving her stick (decorated with several skewered, leaking cans) about her head and diving into the next verse.

"We had Jack Lynch from Ballynahinch, Mike Murphy, Daniella.
And I tell you well, they suffered like hell on the way to Undella!
They pawned their gear in Motostoke; and sailed, for they were sure!

As she sings she continues to hop and dance about between bits of trash, and she can feel Jack bobbing along on verses and in time with his shrieking on the chorus when it hits. It's a good time. Could be better, though.

The crowd of Pokemon is a strange and unwelcome addition, even if they can kind of carry a tune between the lot of them. If it weren't for the way they're hauling trash along with them she'd be chasing them off. She doesn't like the way they crowd around. Still, she tries to focus on the positive as she moves forward through the song.

"Well the mate he stood on the fo'c'sle head and loudly he did roar!
Come rattle her in, me lucky lads, you're bound for Unova's shore!
Come wipe the blood off that deadman's face and haul, or you'll be cursed!

Jack does take a break from chorus duty the next time it comes around to shriek and flap at some of the less productive wild pokemon. It's more than just noise when he CHATTERS at them, too. A good handful wince and back off. Plank gives him a few scratches as thanks and to settle him, he seems appreciative.

ooc: didn't write out the choruses this time to reduce clutter, but they're there where they belong ic.

close tab

played by

Blue Star

Hideo
he/him
October 18th
slateport
undecided
Gym Leader
Ace Trainer
smol height
smol height
awards
2,381 posts
Hideo Kino DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @hideo
Hideo Kino
POSTED ON Jan 18, 2021 19:48:04 GMT
Hideo Kino Avatar
Singing while getting swarmed by helpful Pokemon wasn’t easy, but he had the fortune of some of his Pokemon helping to direct things. Had they all come at him at once, he definitely would’ve been crushed under their weight.

Though that wasn’t to say he wasn’t feeling pretty heavy at the moment; those Pokemon had given him a lot of trash. He could hear it get higher and higher up whenever a can or bottle was put in there, getting closer and closer to his ears.

But that still wouldn’t stop him; helped that his cleaning-mate was encouraging him. “♫And we'll scrape her and we'll scrub her, with holystone yes sir, for there blow some cold nor'westers on the Bay of Circhester!♫

There was a brief pause before another round of applause from the small horde they’d attracted. “Thank you, thank you!” He was half-tempted to bow, but he knew he risked tipping the collected trash over his head, and he did not want to be smelling like that.

Though as he turned his body to wave to the “crowd”, his basket felt pretty heavy. He reached back with the grabber to see just how much he’d been given - and found that his basket was full. He couldn’t tell if he was more surprised that the wild Pokemon had worked so quickly, or that there was that much trash just lying around for them to collect - and the implication that there was more.

Either way, that was much as he needed to collect. “I was told I only had to fill this basket all the way to the top!” he shouted, “I like singing shanties with you, but I think I’ll find a trash can to dump this in and head off! It was nice working with you, Miss!” While he did like cleaning, there was plenty of other stuff he could be spending his time on, like training his Pokemon. Or catching more.

Heck, if he’d brought any spare Pokeballs with him, he’d try catching some of their helpers. But they’d get off this time.

This time.

We can turn in the thread after your post.
close tab

played by

sunshine

plank
she/her
seventeen
march 19th
pacifidlog town
homosexual
rocket grunt
grunt
awards
313 posts
peggie vela DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @plank
peggie vela
POSTED ON Jan 19, 2021 1:30:49 GMT
peggie vela Avatar
[attr="class","spiral"]The shanty singing is a joy, always is, but the joy is dampened more and more the longer these pokemon crowd Plank and the less work there is to do. It's beginning to feel a bit more like a performance for a bunch of pushy animals than a work song and she's about over it once her bag is full. Thankfully, her fellow volunteer seems about ready to take leave himself.

"Alright alright, shove off ya bunch of bloody beasts!" Plank shouts and pushes, less gracious than the young boy. While he sees them off with thanks and waves she shoves and curses her way out of the press of their bodies. Jack throws out a few more warning CHATTERS to make the movement easier.

"Aye, I figure we've done just about all the work we're gonna manage," she replies, "Was a pleasure, li'l shantyman."

She nods at the boy before tying off her bag and tossing it over her unoccupied shoulder. When Jack takes a couple nips at it with his beak she shoots him a glare and a few choice words and he switches to mussing up her hair instead. Fine, better than breaking the bag and trailing garbage everywhere.

With a sigh she makes her way to the edge of the beach and the waste bins there before heading off back to the water to find the Vagabond and head out.

close tab

played by

spiral

SHIV'S BOYFRIEND
HE/HIM
AUGUST 12
DISCORD
SHIV-SAMA-O
SHIV'S BOYFRIEND
SHIV-SAMA-O
IS MY GIRLFRIEND
777 height
777 height
THE GREATER THE DESPAIR THE SWEETER THE VICTORY
awards
5,164 posts
SPIRAL DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @spiral
SPIRAL
POSTED ON Jan 19, 2021 7:47:01 GMT
SPIRAL Avatar
[nospaces]
[attr="class","TRAINER"]
[attr="class","omaccepted"]
[attr="class","omacceptedtop"]MISSION COMPLETE!

[attr="class","omacceptedmid"]

YOU RECEIVE THE REWARDS BELOW:[break]

[attr="class","omacceptedlinks"]
[attr="class","omacceptedlinks1"]TAGS: