Viridian City, Kanto
It just works
Lt. Colonel, Medical Corps
AQUA Initiative
Dreaming
of our future
5' 11" (181 cm) / 180 lbs (82 kg) height
You're being healed. Please do not resist.
awards
2,867 posts
part of
TAG WITH @bugcatcherdoug
John Sullivan
Gods & Men [Social, Cait]
POSTED ON Feb 5, 2021 2:20:30 GMT
John Sullivan Avatar

He had not been struck by flash and lightning upon walking into the chapel, so... that was reassuring.

Several rows of pews stretched all the way from the entrance to the altar of the Church, mostly devoid of people and free for the taking.

It was neither sunday nor mass time, and so the few walking about the chapel's halls were the members of the clergy, those down in their rotten luck, and him.

A blasphemer by any other name.

He didn't know what he expected, coming into a random Church of the Creation God just because he noticed it. Was he hoping to learn something?

"... This is a waste of time.." He said to himself as he cupped his face in both hands, groaning lowly into his palms.

Right, this was a waste of time, and material.

Standing up with a sigh, the youth made a half turn before going for the doors-

And nearly ran face first into someone.

close tab

played by

y o y o

cai
she/her
twenty-three
may 15
fortree
bisexual
herbalist
civilian
sénon game
engaged
596 height
596 height
slithers of wistful window gazes glint in borrowed light
awards
2,558 posts
cait alfric DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @cait
cait alfric
POSTED ON Feb 5, 2021 5:35:40 GMT
cait alfric Avatar

cait was presently adorned in a long-sleeved top and lengthy skirt, her attire modest and leaning toward a traditionally conservative appearance. she'd been in the midst of putting away her umbrella, intending to place it upon a rack when she had accidentally bumped into doug. she'd lightly bounce off his frame, a touch startled. 

"oh!"

there was surprise followed by a flash of recognition that crossed her features as she retreated a step, the woman immediately brightening at the sight of the youth.

"
doug! how are you, baby?"

without invitation, she'd spread her arms and moved to embrace the youth. being three inches shorter than him, cait tilted her head up to grin at dough before releasing him if she proved successful.

"
did you get taller? i swear you've gotten taller."

no matter how small or large, the youngest among their numbers always caused her to vibrate with a warm energy.    

close tab

played by

Epic BugCatcher

Dr. Doug
He/Him
20 (40)
March 3
Viridian City, Kanto
It just works
AQUA Initiative
Dreaming
of our future
awards
2,867 posts
part of
TAG WITH @bugcatcherdoug
John Sullivan
POSTED ON Feb 5, 2021 20:35:10 GMT
John Sullivan Avatar

Doug glanced down as a woman bounced off him, his foot shifting back to catch his balance, an apology already halfway through leaving his mouth.

"'Pologies, ma'am." He said, realizing he knew the person he had run into a moment later.

He blinked at his impromptu theology professor as she cheerfully greeted him, before a smile tugged at his lips and he mirrored her, spreading his arms wide.

"Ms. Cait! " He said as he threw his arm around her in a hug as well, swaying side to side playfully for a few seconds before they both let go. "How long's it been?!"

Very long, if memory didn't fail him. The old adage of absence making the heart grow fonder must have been true, because he felt re-energized just seeing the woman's smile.

"Haha, noticed it, huh? Yup, 2 inches up and still growing! Growth spurt hit me 'round New year! 'Bout time, eh? Was startin' to worry my genes had tapped out. Turns out I'm just a really late bloomer!"

Her other question, innocent and polite as it was, was a bit of a problem; Doug firmly believed honesty was the best policy. But there were no honest answers that wouldn't worry her.

"I've been hangin' in there!" He said while stepping back, managing a convincing smile as he linked his fingers behind his head.

His hands were much better now than they had been a few days before, but the scarring in them would stick for a while- best to avoid drawing attention to them.

"Not a whole lotta use for us soldiers, what with the war being over n'all, so upper brass got us all runnin' about doin' odd missions on the double, 'stead."

It wasn't quite a lie if he just omitted a few things, right? She really didn't need to hear about the Desert Raid, or about his (minor) involvement with the recently burnt down Church.

"How 'bout'cha? What'cha been up to in these past months? Really sorry I haven't even sent ya a text- I really need to be better 'bout that."

close tab

played by

y o y o

cai
she/her
twenty-three
may 15
fortree
bisexual
herbalist
civilian
sénon game
engaged
596 height
596 height
awards
2,558 posts
cait alfric DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @cait
cait alfric
POSTED ON Feb 7, 2021 17:07:40 GMT
cait alfric Avatar

"it's nothing to worry about. you just call me if an issue crops up."

she absently adjusted the black shawl that had been placed over her shoulders, the material slightly damp from the rain outside. her gaze flicked over him as she performed the subtle action, noting that he was in the midst of growing into a man. it wouldn't be long before he transitioned from being an adolescent to an adult; a pity he had to concern himself with the league as opposed to the usual schooling.

'at least they're not sending him anywhere dangerous.'

"
i've been working on finishing school and keeping an eye on my family's shop."

just like doug, when it came to explanations cait had trimmed the metaphorical fat off of her day-to-day operations. omitting the fact that she had been scrutinizing the league at length whilst effectively keeping sénon out of kanto.

"
i'm surprised to see you here," she admitted. "there aren't many young faces in the pews nowadays. and there's no service planned for the rest of the day."

the church was merely open for people to sit, contemplate and pray or speak with a priest. depictions of the creation trio were all around them - the stained glass doing a particularly brilliant job of showcasing their magnificence. 

"
did the league send you here?

close tab

played by

Epic BugCatcher

Dr. Doug
He/Him
20 (40)
March 3
Viridian City, Kanto
It just works
AQUA Initiative
Dreaming
of our future
awards
2,867 posts
part of
TAG WITH @bugcatcherdoug
John Sullivan
POSTED ON Feb 8, 2021 0:24:10 GMT
John Sullivan Avatar

Doug nodded, smiling tentatively. She was much too kind to a thoughtless kid like him; he appreciated it.

Hearing speak of her studies, the youth smiled, looking a bit excited. Somehow, he felt as if Cait would be one of the few people who would care if he said it.

"Oh? What'cha studying?" He said, before scratching at his nose. "I somehow got into a program meself! Got a recommendation."

It had come with along with a free promotion, new duties and a lot of homework. He hadn't been entirely certain it was worth it until his most recent check had arrived.

Unfortunately, nice topics couldn't last. His smile wavered, shrugging weakly at her.

"Nah. Just... friend o' mine got caught up in some nasty business recently." He said, turning his gaze up, his lip curling. "Church just like this one blew up right on'er. Far as anyone can tell anyway."

had called it an act of god, and an act of war when interviewed by the press.

Doug wasn't entirely sure, but given everything that was going on in Hoenn, it wouldn't have surprised him if she was right.

One of those many gods had reeled in its ugly head just to mug Zac, after all. They seemed like a petty bunch.

His fear that it might someone out to get them, or her, however was what most often made the ultra ball in his pocket feel like it was burning a hole in his pants.

"I dunno, I saw this place and just ended up comin' in." He said, before laughing weakly. "I ain't even n'Arceus faithful, whatever they call 'emselves. Barely believe in anythin' as is and all the recent stuff ain't helpin' any."

He fell silent after a moment, lips setting on a fine line before he sighed, and forced a grin for Cait.

"Hey Ms. Cait. How's 'bout 'nother lesson, eh? Know a lot 'bout 'God' and his lot?" Arceus was The Capital G God for many, even those who didn't really believe.

close tab

played by

y o y o

cai
she/her
twenty-three
may 15
fortree
bisexual
herbalist
civilian
sénon game
engaged
596 height
596 height
awards
2,558 posts
cait alfric DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @cait
cait alfric
POSTED ON Feb 8, 2021 15:05:43 GMT
cait alfric Avatar

a hint of a smirk tugs at one corner of her lip.

"
political science, oddly enough.

there was a flicker of surprise that crosses her expression as she responds to his inquiry. 

"i see," she responded, simply.

she kept her tone measured, but her eyes lit up with delight at the mere prospect of teaching one of their up-and-coming youths about the gods. 

"
sit with me.

cait guided him to the empty section of the pews, minding her fellow worshipers as they relished the silence that was interrupted only by murmured prayers and quiet conversation. she kept her voice low, settling down comfortably and beckoning for the young man to join her.

"
do you see the stained glass here? they're beautiful, aren't they?"

she pointed upwards toward the colorful pieces of art, the first depicting arceus as a solitary figure.

"
it tells the story of our creation. and mind you - this is only a single interpretation of it."

the woman paused before beginning.

"
at first - there was only arceus. they were the first - and they will be the last. in the depths of the void, they created time and space and children who held dominion over each."

her finger shifted to pointing directly at the first picture of the 'creation trio'.

"
'there shall be light.' and then came the sun. 'and a beacon for which it shines down upon even in the darkest hours.' and so came the moon. 'let there be earth - so that i may create in abundance and bring true life to this formerly barren existence.'"    

close tab

played by

Epic BugCatcher

Dr. Doug
He/Him
20 (40)
March 3
Viridian City, Kanto
It just works
AQUA Initiative
Dreaming
of our future
awards
2,867 posts
part of
TAG WITH @bugcatcherdoug
John Sullivan
POSTED ON Feb 9, 2021 2:48:00 GMT
John Sullivan Avatar

"Huh." Said Doug, blinking at her, before mirroring her not-quite-smirk, his own clearly clueless. He spoke, dialing up the smoothness of his voice. "What a coincidence."

"I'm also studying a quote unquote science." He said, winking playfully. "Military Science ain't quite what I had in mind growin' up, but I ain't payin' a dime for it so I should just be glad, huh?"

Taking a place at the pews besides her, the youth's turned his eyes to the stained glass at her coaxing.

His brows furrowed as Cait took him through what he tentatively thought of as 'chapter 1', what little he had learned immediately finding issue with the supposed interpretation.

"Wait... Isn't somethin' missin' 'here?" He asked, tilting his noggin' before scratching at it bemusedly. "Wasn't there a reject son?"

Giratina still weighed heavily in Doug's thoughts, it having apparently orchestrated the thievery of 's piece of the plate. If was right anyway.

close tab

played by

y o y o

cai
she/her
twenty-three
may 15
fortree
bisexual
herbalist
civilian
sénon game
engaged
596 height
596 height
awards
2,558 posts
cait alfric DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @cait
cait alfric
POSTED ON Feb 9, 2021 15:51:14 GMT
cait alfric Avatar

a small frown tugged at the corners of the woman's lips at the mention of giritina. there had been efforts to have the pokemon partially scrubbed from the books, quite a few authors of various scripts downplaying the beast's role. 

"'the reject son'," she repeated. "
'the exiled child' that was cast down into the pits due to their desire to destroy that which was created."

cait peered upwards and scanned the images, but the vile beast was not depicted in any of them.

"
had they been allowed to remain it is likely we'd have been destroyed eons ago. i think it's best they remain forgotten. they contribute nothing. and i'm afraid if they were to escape the pits they'd seek to inflict pain and suffering aplenty."

close tab

played by

Epic BugCatcher

Dr. Doug
He/Him
20 (40)
March 3
Viridian City, Kanto
It just works
AQUA Initiative
Dreaming
of our future
awards
2,867 posts
part of
TAG WITH @bugcatcherdoug
John Sullivan
POSTED ON Feb 10, 2021 1:34:36 GMT
John Sullivan Avatar

Doug leaned back against the pews at Cait's words, slowly processing them.

"Oh." He said.

Shit.

"Um. Ah. Uuuh." He began to utter, not quite certain of how or even if he should let the lady know that, as far as he could tell, that guy was probably free to do as it pleased right about now.

He brought his hands together, pressing them to his lip as he leaned forward and rested his elbows on his thighs, his chin atop his extended thumbs.

Should he tell her? It didn't seem right to involve an innocent lady like Ms. Cait in all this... She could get hurt, or worse!

But she seemed to know more about this than everyone at the Church that night. At the very least, she certainly had more to say on the matter than even had.

"Um. Ms. Cait. You know about, um, avatars, and stuff. Right?" He said, managing to put the words together as he rubbed his palms, nibbling along his lips nervously, brows furrowing as he tried to compose the proper sentence as he went along. "Ermh. Suppose, hypothetically, that Giratina had one. An avatar, I mean."

"Would that be... strictly speaking, bad?"

close tab

played by

y o y o

cai
she/her
twenty-three
may 15
fortree
bisexual
herbalist
civilian
sénon game
engaged
596 height
596 height
awards
2,558 posts
cait alfric DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @cait
cait alfric
POSTED ON Feb 10, 2021 1:59:16 GMT
cait alfric Avatar

"if one were to carry the mark of that devilish creature," she responded, plainly. "it could potentially prove disastrous. a human who inherits giritina's power would be considered cursed - not blessed. they can only bring destruction and sow the seeds of discord."

cait pauses briefly, allowing the young man to mull over this for a spell.

"
if at all possible their connection should be severed for the good of the human. if that proves an impossibility, then - unfortunately - they should either be imprisoned or culled. i know this sounds harsh, doug, but it is arceus's will."

her expression hardened somewhat, her tone of voice growing increasingly stern.

"
that is an... oddly specific question. is there something you need to tell me?"

the look on her face briefly softens, her concern fairly obvious as she questions the youth. 

"
you haven't come into contact with that thing, have you?"   

close tab

played by

Epic BugCatcher

Dr. Doug
He/Him
20 (40)
March 3
Viridian City, Kanto
It just works
AQUA Initiative
Dreaming
of our future
awards
2,867 posts
part of
TAG WITH @bugcatcherdoug
John Sullivan
POSTED ON Feb 10, 2021 2:17:45 GMT
John Sullivan Avatar

Doug pursed his lips against his palms, suckling in a sharp breath as Cait's word hung in the air.

They sounded a bit... severe? More so than the youth would have ever expected from the kind lady, at least. But then, he didn't really know Cait, did he?

He was so taken by her kind and familiar disposition that it almost felt like she had known him his entire life, but he barely knew anything about her.

Maybe it was the words 'this is Arceus' Will' that made him reconsider saying anything.

"Nah, I haven't." He hadn't. might have, though. Katherine and Stormy definitely had. "I just learned 'bout the reject very recently. Right before the whole Church blowing up thin' happened, actually. Guess I'm just lookin' for something or someone to blame it on."

Half truths were easy to make for the youth.

close tab

played by

y o y o

cai
she/her
twenty-three
may 15
fortree
bisexual
herbalist
civilian
sénon game
engaged
596 height
596 height
awards
2,558 posts
cait alfric DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @cait
cait alfric
POSTED ON Feb 10, 2021 19:52:26 GMT
cait alfric Avatar

"i see."

she appeared to relax a little, her expression difficult to discern as her eyes remained fixed upon the youth. cait couldn't nudge aside the mild suspicion she felt, but she held her tongue on the matter and instead expressed her sympathies.

"
horrible - wasn't it? a religious site's destruction is an awful thing."

the woman shook her head, the sadness she felt genuine. 

"
i believe was correct in her statement that it was an 'act of god'. in the aftermath of the league's decision to implement aqua, it is no wonder that arceus would seek to draw our attention. but it is highly unlikely that hoenn will see sense and bend a knee."

cait straightened in her seat, her gaze shifting from the boy to the statue of arceus.

"
there will be consequences for our insolence. and it will be well-deserved."

she was silent and then spoke again, her tone adopting a little more cheer.

"
would you like to hear the rest of the story about arceus and how humans and pokemon came to be?

close tab

played by

Epic BugCatcher

Dr. Doug
He/Him
20 (40)
March 3
Viridian City, Kanto
It just works
AQUA Initiative
Dreaming
of our future
awards
2,867 posts
part of
TAG WITH @bugcatcherdoug
John Sullivan
POSTED ON Feb 12, 2021 0:49:06 GMT
John Sullivan Avatar

"I... Beg yer pardon?" Doug said at the woman's words, dragging both bandaged hands in front of his face, breathing deeply.

He didn't know what to believe half the time.

The pokemon the people called gods undeniably existed, and undeniably wielded incredibly, fantastic power. They could choose their own little toy soldiers in the forms of avatars or whatever to do their bidding, or something.

So maybe they were gods, maybe they weren't! He didn't care!

But this? This was something he just outright refused.

His heel tapped the floor rapidly, teeth gnashing behind his lips.

"Ms. Cait. I don't care about the building. Don't care 'bout this Aqua thing," He said, squeezing his bandaged palms together. "Don't care 'bout avatars, don't care about what gods want-"

"I don't care!"

His burned palms didn't usually hurt at just a touch- but given the way his nails were biting into his skin...

"But the girl that was almost crushed and burned to death by that church? Who had her neck broken by the bloody explosion? She, I care about. A lot." He said, bloody splotches of red slowly spreading over his bandages. "And if they would kill 'er just to get some bloody attention-!"

He was going to break a pew up their ass-!

The youth breathed in deeply, as deep as his chest would allow, before slumping back against the pew like a cut off puppet, huffing breathlessly while glaring half-lidded at the stained glass.

Silence followed his outburst, his glare only very slowly weakening until it was little more than an apathetic look, a low, self-contemptuous sigh leaving his lips.

"Sorry... Sorry." He said, reaching up to place his hands over his face. "Mah... My temper's been runnin on a short fuse for a while now."

There was no point in getting angry over this. Chances were the gods had nothing to do with this.

They never did anything. That, he had learned for a fact in the past three years.

The most likely culprit was one of the several plate holders.

But then, that would still make it God's fault in a way, wouldn't it?

"Please... continue."

close tab

played by

y o y o

cai
she/her
twenty-three
may 15
fortree
bisexual
herbalist
civilian
sénon game
engaged
596 height
596 height
awards
2,558 posts
cait alfric DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @cait
cait alfric
POSTED ON Feb 12, 2021 21:00:26 GMT
cait alfric Avatar

she blinked in reaction to his outburst, but wisely held her tongue as he allowed his emotion to spill forth in a great tide. his anger was justified, likely directed at the divine being that was ultimately responsible for their creation. the woman put herself in his shoes for a fleeting moment, pondering over the emotions she'd feel in his place. but her loyalty to the gods remained steadfast, even when she placed her beloved trio in harm's way.

'the lord giveth and the lord taketh away.'  

"there's no need to apologize."

he was young and had every right to feel a combination of anger and frustration.

"
..."

cait raised her gaze, noting that his outburst had momentarily drew the gazes of others. she'd meet their stares and they pointedly looked away, allowing them a moment of privacy again.

"
your reaction is perfectly reasonable. times like these can drive anyone to that point."

she allowed the subject to remain untouched once left behind, unwilling to probe about the youth's aforementioned lass.

'may her recovery be a quick one. by arceus's grace.' 

"
now where was i...? ah. yes. and so arceus made the earth. the rock and soil formed a single land mass. and surrounding that land mass was the sea. in the first days - water and earth were equally divided - two pokemon created in tandem to serve as the embodiment of both. and so kyogre and groudon came to be."

cait gestured toward the next panel.

"
pokemon which reigned over elements - dreams - knowledge and powers beyond our reach and even comprehension filled the world. each given a purpose by their lord. but then came a single legendary known as mew. mew saw the world and found that it was lovely - yet painfully empty. and so it looked upon its father and plucked a single hair from its flank. they offered it to their lord - their desire made plain."

the woman smiled a little, favoring this part of the story. 

"
arceus accepted the tribute and the very first pokemon came to be."     

close tab

played by

Epic BugCatcher

Dr. Doug
He/Him
20 (40)
March 3
Viridian City, Kanto
It just works
AQUA Initiative
Dreaming
of our future
awards
2,867 posts
part of
TAG WITH @bugcatcherdoug
John Sullivan
POSTED ON Feb 13, 2021 15:10:02 GMT
John Sullivan Avatar

Being allowed a free pass just made the youth more ashamed of his outburst; Ms. Cait was not responsible for anything going on, and unloading his temper on her wouldn't fix anything.

"... Thanks." He simply said, dropping his face on his palms and slowly dragging them down before sighing.

The earlier subject was picked up right where it was left. Many legends that he didn't even know where related convened into a single narrative, and he wasn't sure if he just had never been taught the full story, or if the Religion of Arceus had gathered the many different deities from other regions under its banner.

The youth scratched at his hair, looking bemused.

"Huh? Wasn't Mew the Creator?" He said after a moment while scratching at the back of his head, brows furrowed in thought.

As a Kantonian, it was rare indeed to see Mew reduced to... He wasn't sure what to call it. A progenitor-ish? Maybe? He wasn't well-acquainted with Kanto's religious groups but he was certain Mew had been held quite a bit higher up the totem pole back home.

Though for all he knew, that was just a Viridian County thing.

"Hn... Thought they'were all pokemon..." He went on to further to say, cupping his chin. "If they ain't... which's the first pokemon?"

He squinted, regaining a bit of his playful edge.

"Wasn't Rhydon or Bulbasaur perchance, was it?"