virgil roach
it's called class [c][s]
POSTED ON Feb 6, 2021 7:16:34 GMT
virgil roach Avatar

@everett
SOCIAL

He didn’t need a piano.

He didn’t need a pianist.

Ritual didn't need jazz nights. But, here they were. It had seemed like a good idea at the time.

A truck pulled up to the back of the bar, but it did not contain booze. Upon receiving a text from the driver, Roach stubbed out a cigarette he was smoking against his own rules and went to let the movers, and presumably his new act, into an empty Ritual. It was Monday—they were closed.

He ushered everyone and a baby grand piano into the main room, where it was set up in a far corner. The billiards tables had been moved over some. He didn’t watch as they sat it up, merely licking his lips and staring at the floor. What the fuck was he doing?

Eventually, they were done setting up, and the movers left, leaving just the two of them. “We gon’ need t’ git like… a tuner ’r some'm’?” He stood with arms and ankles crossed casually, leaning against the bar.

close tab

played by

i used to dream in the dark of palisades park.
awards
0 posts
Deleted DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @Deleted
Deleted
it's called class [c][s]
POSTED ON Feb 6, 2021 8:26:47 GMT
Deleted Avatar
[attr="class","allegro"]
404 for
It was happenstance that Everett had even reached out at all. But a bar in such a spot in the city needed a reason to draw customers. Any bar sells drinks. They can sell flirty and charismatic bartenders, or handsome bar owners with a twang to their voice. They can even sell a jukebox to add the same level of aesthetic, and to some, that would be enough. That beautiful set of notes on the same song every time it played, like a record that kept being re-used into obscurity.

What Everett offered was soul. Something a bar could do to set itself apart.

A jukebox lacked that power, the same sway of watching a jazz musician gift the customers auditory bliss as they drank and played their games. While some might say the era of greasers dancing on tables was still a good one, Everett believed fully that the income of a real musician would outweigh the costs. He needed food for Lyric and Harmony. Roach was an employer. A match made in heaven.

When the movers finished and left that baby grand piano in the corner of Ritual, Everett moved his way to the piano, fingers tracing the design and craftsmanship of it. He took a smell of it, and smiled. Magical. Roach knew the craft well.

Ah. They had been alone. Everett turned his gaze to the older man, taking a comfortable seat on the piano's bench. "A tuner is man-made by those with a trained ear. A musician without a trained ear is tone-deaf." His fingers began to go up the scales to test it. It took a once-over to get it fully.

Out of tune. Disgustingly so.

Set by the piano, Everett grabbed his own tuning hammer, reaching over the piano as he began the honest work of tuning the piano, the off-key sounds gaining a semblance of proper harmony. Each piano pin was inserted to the hammer, and the hammer twisted and turned to help coax it to its eventual goal. Not flat or sharp, merely where it needed to be. Everett's demonstration of skill.

Stopping midway, the darker-skinned male turned to Roach. "I can also man the bar on some nights. Free of cost for playing here. While my hands are more skilled with music, I know a party trick or two." he gives an almost-too-obvious fake smile.

Everett was not good at small talk.
[attr="class","wizzcred"]❤ wizz

[newclass=".allegro"]margin-top:25px; [/newclass]
[newclass=".allegro b"]font-weight:lighter;color:#FFD700; [/newclass]
[newclass=".allegro i"]font-style:italic;color:#DAA520; [/newclass]
[newclass=".wizzcred"]font: monospace; font-size: 10px; color:#7a7a7a;[/newclass]
[newclass=".wizzcred a"]font: monospace; font-size: 10px; color:#7a7a7a;[/newclass]
close tab

played by

mad

roach
he/him
thirty-five
june 5th
nimbasa, unova
heterosexual
bar owner / blk mkt dlr
grunt
DON'T FEAR NOTHING, SNAKE IS BLUFFING
awards
294 posts
virgil roach DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @roach
virgil roach
it's called class [c][s]
POSTED ON Feb 7, 2021 12:21:49 GMT
virgil roach Avatar

@everett
SOCIAL

Roach raised both his eyebrows as he watched the man inspect the piano, going so far as to take a whiff of it. Little did Everett know, Roach knew nothing of any musical craft, instrument, or woodworking even for that matter. It had been pure luck that it achieved the musician’s satisfaction.

His face wrinkled suddenly at the unpleasant sound. Goddamn, was it broken? Eyes watched him go to work from afar with curiosity, but not enough to approach and actually supervise. “Well. Glad I don’ have t’ buy anything else.”

A snorted out of his nose and waved down the offer. “Aaow, you don’ gotta do all that, I got bartenders.” Not enough. He shot the younger man a crooked but infamously charming smile. “We don’ really do tricks around here, anyways.”

He pushed off the bar and began to walk around it. “But, you wan’ come in a couple nights a week, I’ll pay ya for it. I don’ work people for free. Gotta fill out papers 'n' all that sheit.” He participated in too much illegal activity as it was to screw people over in that way, too. “Want some’m’uh drink?”

close tab

played by

awards
0 posts
Deleted DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @Deleted
Deleted
it's called class [c][s]
POSTED ON Feb 9, 2021 5:18:27 GMT
Deleted Avatar
[attr="class","allegro"]
284 for
Slowly, but surely, the piano's notes were growing more melodious than they had been, with each wrong note giving Everett a solid moment to twist his tuning hammer before trying again. Before long, the scales would sing in harmony together to give the proper scaling, and all while they spoke too.

Everett was smiling, a quiet laugh escaping the parting of his lips. That was the first genuine smile he made since he got here. "Fair enough. Better to have the hands of a skilled bartender, than the hands of a musician playing at one." he spoke, finishing his word and taking his seat. When Roach offered a drink, the darker-skinned male closed his eyes deep in thought. "Whiskey. Nothing too strong." Everett requested, not wishing to lose his ability to play just yet. "While you work, lend your ear to the music, and watch your bar come to life." Everett promised, cooing at his own confidence.

When his fingers set upon the keys, and Roach was at his bar, only then would Everett begin to play. For the first time in a long time, Everett put his heart into it. He played.

It was a slow song, each key pressed down to show that his tuning work had been worth it in the end. Each note did its job in succession to give a pleasant melody to the bar, bouncing off the walls in brilliant acoustics, to be enjoyed by all if ever a soul should be present. Every bar of music without even a hint of slipping up. All while Roach poured the glass.

He was genuinely smiling again. His heart was in it. Every note from his soul.

MUSIC LINK

[newclass=".wizzcred"]font: monospace; font-size: 10px; color:#7a7a7a;[/newclass]
[newclass=".wizzcred a"]font: monospace; font-size: 10px; color:#7a7a7a;[/newclass]
close tab

played by

mad

roach
he/him
thirty-five
june 5th
nimbasa, unova
heterosexual
bar owner / blk mkt dlr
grunt
awards
294 posts
virgil roach DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @roach
virgil roach
it's called class [c][s]
POSTED ON Feb 10, 2021 6:23:55 GMT
virgil roach Avatar

@everett
SOCIAL

Summer sunlight poured through the window, and Betty Roach’s slender old fingers sliced through it. They glided with ease over ebony and ivory, carrying a soft tune up the carpeted stairs of a run-down two-story home in Nimbasa, Unova.

Every note was a soul that wrapped itself around him in comfort, coaxed back into reality. Awake. A young Virgil had loved his mother. He’d never complained when her playing woke him in the mornings. He’d never told her that he laid there, either, for sometimes up to an hour, just listening quietly.

The was a shatter of glass, and then the sound of a piano leg groaning across the floor some. “La-LARRY, WHAT THE FUCK, YOU DRUNK FUCKIN’ PRICK!”

Roach hadn’t responded to him, having already slipped into whisps of childhood memory by the time the piano was tuned. His hands seemed to work of their own accord as he poured the man his nicest, moderately-proofed whiskey over a single large ice cube. He still said nothing as he walked it over.

Silently, he placed a coaster on the top of the piano within his reach, and then glass, and then stepped back, crossing his arms and watching over Everett’s shoulder as the younger man's  skilled fingers danced. He was utterly captivated.

close tab

played by

awards
0 posts
Deleted DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @Deleted
Deleted
it's called class [c][s]
POSTED ON Feb 13, 2021 9:44:07 GMT
Deleted Avatar
[attr="class","allegro"]
310 for
That summer shine doused within the beautiful jazz club. A younger Everett was playing his best he'd ever at Sam's Pub, the hottest place in town. Muse by his side, his dance and melodic harmonization allowed for their music to transcend beyond the very fabric of normality. The bond between two could show so much more than one alone, even if Everett wasn't Muse's trainer. A Gardevoir who could sway the hearts of those who listened, and a musician who could actualize that sway to all.

Every note swirled around them as the spotlight was on him, it always had been. He had been his muse, and though his piano was his bed to lay upon, he sung to them all. In a language no one but him spoke. Other Pokemon would sleep cozily to the sound, and the people watched on with glee.

Everett looked upon Muse. An angel who could fly away at a moment's notice.

As Muse turned his gaze to him, a scarlet trail began to pour out of his mouth. Everett's eyes flared open in horror and shock. Muse's eyes were showing that same dead eyed stare the night he found him lying in his owner's skid row home.

All Everett could see was red.

~ ~ ~

The song was over, the whiskey on the coaster, and the older gentleman now behind him to watch, as Everett leaned back for a moment. He shook his head. This song brought him to a bad memory. But it could bring the best in other's. That was the point of the song.

Seeing the whiskey now, his darker hand shakily grabbed at it, turning it up and downing it without much thought. When it was just the ice cube, it returned to its resting place. "Thank you, boss." he spoke quietly, keeping his composure.

That would loosen him up.

close tab

played by

mad

roach
he/him
thirty-five
june 5th
nimbasa, unova
heterosexual
bar owner / blk mkt dlr
grunt
awards
294 posts
virgil roach DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @roach
virgil roach
it's called class [c][s]
POSTED ON Feb 16, 2021 0:33:16 GMT
virgil roach Avatar

@everett
SOCIAL

Watching the man down his best whiskey in a single gulp, Roach gave a defeated chuckle, thinking of . Why did everyone do that?

“Yer welcome Everett.” He nodded at the younger man with a good-natured smile. Not a word.

He hung there for a moment, thinking of something and then giving two pats on the top of the piano and taking the glass back to the bar.

“Don’t go tellin’ all your musician buddies we’re hirin’ now, y’hear? You start bringin’ in strays, I’mma have t’ cutchya loose.” He waggled a finger at him from a distance while the other hand poured out the ice into a hidden sunk.

close tab

played by

awards
0 posts
Deleted DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @Deleted
Deleted
it's called class [c][s]
POSTED ON Feb 18, 2021 2:33:30 GMT
Deleted Avatar
[attr="class","allegro"]
419 for
Loosening up a bit and forgetting that face he saw in a flash of memory, he pushed it away. The thought too depressing for any person to keep thinking on. Thinking of another song, a hint of a blue moon on his horizon, he smiled towards Roach at his finger waggling.

"If they get invited, it will be strictly to buy a drink, and enjoy the performance. In that order. That should get you some better business on jazz nights." he shot a smile back, despite the older gentleman's word of warning. Not that Everett would ever risk the chance at stable work. Lyric and Harmony needed to eat, even if he, himself, didn't.

Where was he? Ah yes, blue moon. One more tune for the older gentleman to perform. He couldn't quite net himself someone to play bass, but the idea of finding another like-minded musician to collect a favor from was an interesting prospect.

His hands began to play again, not good idle. His fingers were liberated from their shackles of memory, as his drink helped him forget.

He was free.

Blue Moon

~ ~ ~

The scene plays in his mind so easily. Billiards night. The players encircle the table, the pool balls clack together, set at their start. The first player takes his cue, bends to just the right angle to make the first strike on the plain white cue pall. As it slaps the first of the billiard balls, they each fly off in different directions.

Shots are made to hit each respective ball into their holes, the audience watch on in amusement at the players skills. The cue ball smacks the stripes one by one, and the crowd give a small clap at the player's skill level. The stripes player hands the cue off. The solids player makes a perfect around the table shot, smacking three of his own balls in. Failing a jump shot leaves the cue back to the stripes.

Sweat trickles down each of their brows, but it's a good time. They both smile to each other in good fun wanting to win.

The song wasn't for tension between them. It was to let them relax to make the best possible shots they could. Who wouldn't enjoy, just a little bit of ambience? Relax, call another drink, and play. Play on into the night. As the blue moon rose out the window to illuminate, the victory was had. The stripes player losing by two.

The next players take their cues. The moon shined on.

close tab

played by

mad

roach
he/him
thirty-five
june 5th
nimbasa, unova
heterosexual
bar owner / blk mkt dlr
grunt
awards
294 posts
virgil roach DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @roach
virgil roach
it's called class [c][s]
POSTED ON Feb 20, 2021 23:47:11 GMT
virgil roach Avatar

@everett
SOCIAL

Roach took a silky white bar towel and polished the crystal-cut gloss before setting in a pristine row of others within reach behind him, moving at a leisurely pace.

Someone who reminded him of Betty held a special place in his heart. He would admit this in his own silent ways. He moved across the bar and to a cabinet at the end, retrieving a beautifully carved humidor from within and going back to place it on the mahogany bar top. It opened on fake-gold hinges and he stood, considering his options.

“You like cigars?” he asked as the song ended.

close tab

played by

awards
0 posts
Deleted DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @Deleted
Deleted
it's called class [c][s]
POSTED ON Feb 27, 2021 21:13:15 GMT
Deleted Avatar
[attr="class","allegro"]
111 for
Finished, Everett got up from his piano, and made his way to the bar. A more natural place for him lately, he sat down on a stool before answering Roach. "Never had one." he clarified, keeping his hands in his lap to not muddy up the bar.

Eyes up to Roach, he twirled a finger through a strand of hair, before continuing. "Not a smoker kind of guy though. Sorry, boss." he refused them, a sheepish smile from his lips as he looked away.

"Would you prefer me to call you Boss, or do you prefer something else?" he inquired, a look of worry shaping on his face.

close tab

played by

mad

roach
he/him
thirty-five
june 5th
nimbasa, unova
heterosexual
bar owner / blk mkt dlr
grunt
awards
294 posts
virgil roach DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @roach
virgil roach
it's called class [c][s]
POSTED ON Mar 5, 2021 23:47:01 GMT
virgil roach Avatar

@everett
SOCIAL

“Ah, yer missin’ out.” There was a tilt of jaw and a persuasive crook of his brow, but it subsided with facetiousness. “Don’t apologize, I’m just tryin’ t’ welcome ya.” He cut a thick cigar and held it in his lips, holding a flame underneath the end of it and puffing hard until the tip of it glowed.

“Y’can call me Roach.” Then, he shrugged. “You wan’ call me Boss, I won’ tell ya no, though.” He flashed a waggish, slightly crooked smile and took another puff.

Roach then shut the humidor and replaced it in its prior home.

close tab

played by

awards
0 posts
Deleted DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @Deleted
Deleted
it's called class [c][s]
POSTED ON Apr 10, 2021 23:47:13 GMT
Deleted Avatar
[attr="class","allegro"]
124 for
Roach was mighty persuasive, if nothing else. Led Everett close to just taking it regardless. Still, the welcome was pleasant. Like being introduced before a small performance. Ah, but he had already played and lightly praised for his work.

"Roach then." he smiled, a slight bit happier to get rid of the formality of boss man. It was more personal. "May I ask what brought you here? To a wonderfully atmospheric bar in the midst of Slateport? Or would that be too personal?" Everett showed an interest. His way to get himself to not thinking about his own troubles. Delve into someone else's.

"I'd regale you with my own tale, but... I'll save it for another day." His smile was fake.

close tab

played by

mad

roach
he/him
thirty-five
june 5th
nimbasa, unova
heterosexual
bar owner / blk mkt dlr
grunt
awards
294 posts
virgil roach DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @roach
virgil roach
it's called class [c][s]
POSTED ON Apr 12, 2021 23:19:28 GMT
virgil roach Avatar
@everett
SOCIAL

He smiled back like an old stray dog, but it went a bit uneven at the question. Arms leaned further on the bar, and he indulged with a large puff of his cigar, tasting the leaf and taking his time with an answer. Typically, Roach didn’t talk much about his reasons for anything, but his employees always got more out of him than the average Joe.

“Well, Ev'rett,” he gave a sigh, and his chin drew a small rainbow in the air for emphasis. “That’s a laooong story—and the short of it ain’t really that int’restin’.”

After a pause, his broad shoulders did a one-eighty and he scanned the booze, clearly looking for something specific. Seemed lost for a moment. Slate and Kendra knew this wall much better than he did.

“I used t’come by here a lot—back when I didn’t own it. Like yew said, s’got some kinda at-mas-phere..” Nevermind the tunnel downstairs. “I haven’t changed a thing. 'Cept fer yer piano, now.”

He squinted up at labels, teeth rolling tobacco a little. Remained turned, until finally finding what he was looking for just over his shaggy head. “S’far as bein’ in Slateport… well, I don’ know. S’pose it's just kinda where I ended up.”

An intricately labeled, cut-glass bottle was placed on mahogany. Roach poured two fingers each into a couple of clean glasses and slid one Everett’s way, thick cigar still hanging from his lips.

close tab

played by

awards
0 posts
Deleted DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @Deleted
Deleted
it's called class [c][s]
POSTED ON Apr 13, 2021 19:26:12 GMT
Deleted Avatar
[newclass=.rndBG]--rndColor:#c199a7[/newclass]
[nospaces]

[attr="class","rndBG"]
[attr="class","rndHead"]
[attr="class","lnr lnr-bubble"]
[attr="class","lnr lnr-gift"]

SOMETHING HAS HAPPENED!

[attr="class","rndHeadA"]

[attr="class","rndIMG"]

[attr="class","rndText"]
THE EASTER LOPUNNY HAS ARRIVED! from its basket of eggs and gifts, it grants you the following item:[break]
[break]
(ooc: you do not need to engage with the lopunny icly).[break][break]
, @everett

close tab

played by

awards
0 posts
Deleted DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @Deleted
Deleted
it's called class [c][s]
POSTED ON Apr 14, 2021 2:41:38 GMT
Deleted Avatar
[attr="class","allegro"]
461 for
Regardless of intrigue, Everett would listen intently. Short as the story may have been, Everett desired nothing more than to understand the headspace of a man who would give him so much. A place to work, a way to express his passion again, anything that Everett could gleam was enough.

"I'd say its changed for the better. You fit the bar like a long forgotten puzzle piece." he leaned back, allowing for Roach to continue speaking. Why he ended up here, of all places. Just where he ended up. Everett could relate.

When the clean glasses were filled with just a little of a bottle, Everett found one of those glasses to himself. Instead of downing it one go, he nursed it this time. A sigh of relief. Or perhaps the sigh of an alcoholic?

"I suppose in that way, we are similar... you gave a little, so if you'd allow me?" His eyes were focused forward for a moment. He seemed younger than he looked (not that twenty-seven, going on twenty-eight wasn't young), an innocent youthful smile appearing before it decayed into the look he had now. Aged far too quickly from stress, depression, or perhaps a microcosm of the two.

"A musician is just an artist who expresses their muse in song over words of an author, or art from a painter. We, much like anyone, are at the whims of the heart, because we wish to show the world what is on the inside. We want them to feel what we feel, to understand us. To see a glimpse within our very soul. But when those whims disappear, we lose our voice. We lose our way. The art no longer speaks to you, and the words off the page don't flow beautifully." He took a bigger swallow of the drink given, still a good deal left, as he did. Eyes towards Roach. The serious edge now adorning his words.

"But you have to keep trying. People depend on you now. Pokemon need to be fed, and you realize that you only know how to be an artist, despite how much it pains you. Yet the notes are played without life. Without soul. Now your voice is gone, and you have no idea how to get it back." Everett took a gander around the bar, and just sighs in relief. "Until you find a piece of what you left behind. A familiar feeling thought lost, found thanks to the kindness of a stranger." He gives Roach a sly wink, another nursed sip, before looking down at the glass' contents.

He eyes it for a moment, holding out the glass to Roach. "A toast to friendship?" His smile was small, but it was there.

---

(I love Roach. <3)