amy, dr. samson
she/her
thirty-four
october 13th
lacunosa town
homosexual
researcher
civilian
looking for a story of a kid i’m sinking in. older, stronger, wiser -- think I am, i think i am
awards
32 posts
part of
TAG WITH @amalia
amalia samson
a giant step each day [social]
POSTED ON Mar 16, 2021 9:19:47 GMT
amalia samson Avatar
[attr="class","sunshine"]It's not uncommon for Amalia, this figurative banging of her head against a wall. Sending an email a day for a couple weeks, calling several times a day when they go unanswered. Trying desperately to get an ounce of attention so she can do her fucking job. Not uncommon at all.

Within academia, studying the field she does, in the body she has . . . being brushed off has happened so often she doesn't even take it personally anymore.

Still, it's been a while since she's found herself in this position. Standing outside a building she knows the person she's looking for is in. Leaning against a wall and intermittently looking at the door, her watch, her phone, her watch, the door.

Waiting.

When was the last time she went so far as to corner someone like this? Grad school, maybe? Yeah that was it. That visiting professor from Kanto who'd been studying the signals of the Staryu line.

She smirks to herself at the memory. Takes a long inhale that half-burns her cigarette in one pull before flicking off the ash in the direction of her heels.

It's timely, that Mr. Silph makes his appearance at that moment.

The words from all those years ago are on the tip of her tongue when she steps forward to cut off the path he's making away from League HQ. She doesn't throw her whole body in front of him, just enough that he'd have to really shoulder past her to get by.

"Why Mr. Silph, have you been screening my calls?"

As she asks the question she peeks up at the man from under her bangs (and how rare is that, to find a person who so outstrips her even in heels. How frustrating). There's still a grin on her lips, but her eyes are sharp. Almost dangerously so.

[newclass=.sunshine]text-align: justify;font-family:calibri;font-size:14px; margin: 0 auto; width: 300px;[/newclass]
[newclass=.sunshine b]color: #E04141[/newclass]
close tab

played by

spiral

silph
SIR
twenty-nine
august 12th
saffron
oppressive
silph co. ceo
council member
POWER IS TAKEN, NEVER GIVEN—SO TAKE WHAT YOU ARE OWED
awards
8,737 posts
part of
TAG WITH @silph
FERNANDO SILPH
POSTED ON Mar 16, 2021 9:32:00 GMT
FERNANDO SILPH Avatar
[attr="class","spiral"]The march between League Headquarters and his parking spot is as insignificant as the people he manages. Here, at least, these Durants are no greater than the same insects he would plow through without second thought should they fly across the interstate at the wrong time. And in this brevity between the artificial lights of the League double doors and the sleek LEDs of his vehicle’s interior, Fernando finds his presence rarely interrupted. His routine of only leaving during the dead hours of the night along with the pinch of intimidation his gait exudes works well to ward off would-be pursuers.

But not all tremble in fear.

Realistically, probably.

And that annoys him. The curt cut of his jib lacks the cordial formality set expected of the Councilman within League grounds. It’s become increasingly less common as his expiration date nears, whittling down what’s left of his patience as he waits for the papers to finalize and his empire to expand with the League’s biggest mistake.

But indeed, I’ll bite. Who are you?

[newclass=.spiral]text-align: justify;font-family:calibri;font-size:14px; margin: 0 auto; width: 300px;[/newclass]
[newclass=.spiral b]color: #90c1f9[/newclass]
close tab

played by

sunshine

amy, dr. samson
she/her
thirty-four
october 13th
lacunosa town
homosexual
researcher
civilian
looking for a story of a kid i’m sinking in. older, stronger, wiser -- think I am, i think i am
awards
32 posts
part of
TAG WITH @amalia
amalia samson
POSTED ON Mar 16, 2021 9:49:37 GMT
amalia samson Avatar
[attr="class","sunshine"]It's unfortunate, but the mood of the person she's looking for is always a casualty when Amalia does this. The Kantonian professor had all but jumped out of his skin. Cursing and flailing first in general, and then quite pointedly at her.

Their conversation afterwards had been tense; and the professor had been a sweating mess. But she had got a conversation, and going forward he always responded promptly to her emails -- if only to avoid another scare.

So, when Fernando Silph looks at her with poorly veiled irritation. Seems a bit short with her. Well, Amalia doesn't let it slow her down. In fact his response is so much better than expected she barrels onward without missing a beat.

"I do so love an honest man," she says, taking another step into Fernando's path so that she is now a proper wall between him and wherever he was going.

"My name is Dr. Amalia Samson, Mr. Silph," she says, her expression and tone polite; but extending a very bold hand to shake as she introduces herself, "and as I've been telling your no doubt countless secretaries for about half a month now, I would very much like to hear what you know about those curious wormholes that Hoenn's so famous for lately."

[newclass=.sunshine]text-align: justify;font-family:calibri;font-size:14px; margin: 0 auto; width: 300px;[/newclass]
close tab

played by

spiral

silph
SIR
twenty-nine
august 12th
saffron
oppressive
silph co. ceo
council member
awards
8,737 posts
part of
TAG WITH @silph
FERNANDO SILPH
POSTED ON Mar 17, 2021 10:04:36 GMT
FERNANDO SILPH Avatar
[attr="class","spiral"] She impedes his progress, unforgivable in its own right, but he entertains the moment. The good doctor, impressive, is given a moment to deliver her elevator pitch before Fernando cuts her off with a wave of his hand. “Then here is some honesty, Dr. Samson, you’re wasting my time.

The same hand is pocketed moments before his car alarm goes off, beeping twice in confirmation that the doors have been unlocked. “Let’s walk and talk. I’m late.

The offer is simple, get in or get the fuck out of my way.

[newclass=.spiral]text-align: justify;font-family:calibri;font-size:14px; margin: 0 auto; width: 300px;[/newclass]
close tab

played by

sunshine

amy, dr. samson
she/her
thirty-four
october 13th
lacunosa town
homosexual
researcher
civilian
awards
32 posts
part of
TAG WITH @amalia
amalia samson
POSTED ON Mar 20, 2021 0:56:48 GMT
amalia samson Avatar
[attr="class","sunshine"]Amalia's laugh is all air, no sound, in the face of his bluntness. It's hard to tell if he's trying to chase her off initially. If it's meant to be a dismissal. If it is it's woefully ineffectual.

She wasn't lying, she loves the honesty.

Thankfully, Silph seems willing to let her play audience to it for a bit longer. Her sharp smile turns self-satisfied at his invite. She takes an easy, casual step out of the man's space, his path, before following after him to his car.

"I would hate to hold you up," she replies as they reach the vehicle. Her free hand reaches down to take hold of the passenger door handle while the other lifts her cigarette to her lips. She takes one last, long drag from it before dropping it to the ground and stamping it out with the toe of her left heel.

The smoke is released on an exhale through her nose before she opens the door and slips inside.

close tab

played by

spiral

silph
SIR
twenty-nine
august 12th
saffron
oppressive
silph co. ceo
council member
awards
8,737 posts
part of
TAG WITH @silph
FERNANDO SILPH
POSTED ON Mar 20, 2021 13:04:47 GMT
FERNANDO SILPH Avatar
[attr="class","spiral"]"Good."

Fernando shuffles into his seat with ease. "We'll cut to the chase then, yes?" An instinctive hand reaches for the seatbelt over his shoulder, pulling against its minimal resistance to lock the buckle into place. Meanwhile, the car starts moving on its own accord. It reverses and Fernando seems no less intent on doing much else but keeping to himself. He spares the main HUD a glance, noting the time, before his gaze settles on the road.

"What can you do for me?"

close tab

played by

sunshine

amy, dr. samson
she/her
thirty-four
october 13th
lacunosa town
homosexual
researcher
civilian
awards
32 posts
part of
TAG WITH @amalia
amalia samson
POSTED ON Mar 20, 2021 22:00:53 GMT
amalia samson Avatar
[attr="class","sunshine"]Amalia does a lazy once-over of the car's interior as she buckles herself in. It's exactly what she'd expect from someone of Silph's stature. Clean, sleek, apparently automated as they start moving without any input from the "driver". It's a bit excessive. But who is she to judge? She's a bit excessive herself.

"I haven't been doing much but chasing when it comes to you, Mr. Silph, why would I stop now?" She replies, turning smiling eyes from inspecting the car to inspecting the man's face. Not a lot to see there, at least not much new. Maybe a bit less irritation? Though that could just be her own wishful thinking.

As much as annoyance is required in this kind of business, it's not like Amalia delights in it. Things would go smoothest with as little of it as possible.

"Mmm, Silph specializes in pokemon research. At least as much as it specializes in anything, yes?" She leads, "I happen to specialize in the same. Though in a slightly different field. I'm not so interested in technology and manufacturing related to pokemon, I'm interested in their origins. Or at least the origins of the newer and odder ones."

"Solrock, Lunatone, the Elgyem line. Arrived suddenly from space in the lifetimes of our parents. Where from? The Staryu line sends radio signals to space almost every night. Why? Who are they trying to reach?" As she speaks she gestures vaguely with one hand, furrows her brow and frowns in a theatrical show of confusion, "The invasion you've dealt with recently had an aggressive party whose origins were perhaps less mysterious, but with a bit of knowledge of their technology and the resources to experiment on my own . . . I am confident I could find some way to replicate their ability to reach through space."

"Confident" is probably a strong word. No need to cop to that right now, though.

"If I could do that, maybe I could then get to the bottom of all these burning questions of mine," she says, "and of course any spoils involved. Information, access, technology, pokemon -- well I would just have to share them with the people who helped me get there wouldn't I?"

close tab

played by

spiral

silph
SIR
twenty-nine
august 12th
saffron
oppressive
silph co. ceo
council member
awards
8,737 posts
part of
TAG WITH @silph
FERNANDO SILPH
POSTED ON Mar 22, 2021 16:37:50 GMT
FERNANDO SILPH Avatar
[attr="class","spiral"]“I don’t frown upon optimism, Dr. Samson.

Traffic is far from dead in Slateport. Leaving during cusp off hours means that others are just as frantic to leave in a bid to beat rush hour traffic, hence his warning about being late. As they sit, a mere pocket in a school of floundering Wishiwashi, Fernando allows her the time to convince him otherwise.

However, all I have heard is what you could idealistically do for me. I need a proven RoI. Or, at the very least, reasonable enough confidence that I can put my faith behind it.” Fernando ends his pause with a quick reminder, “I’m a cynic, by the way.

The light turns green and they start up again, inching toward progress, much like her pursuit of the unknown.

However, all research revolving around exploring Ultra Space without a viable means of closing Ultra Wormhole is expressedly forbidden. The last thing anyone wants is to invite another war.

close tab

played by

sunshine

amy, dr. samson
she/her
thirty-four
october 13th
lacunosa town
homosexual
researcher
civilian
awards
32 posts
part of
TAG WITH @amalia
amalia samson
POSTED ON Mar 23, 2021 22:53:21 GMT
amalia samson Avatar
[attr="class","sunshine"]Well, that's unfortunate. Amalia wasn't positive the optimistic sell would work, but she certainly didn't think it would fail so spectacularly. Though in hindsight it's not so surprising. A company like Silph wouldn't rise like they have if they put their faith in every passing, dreaming scientist.

"Fair enough, Mr. Silph," she replies pleasantly, "These are cynical times."

The caution on Ultra Space research is a bit of a, for lack of a better term, bummer. That was quite a promising field of study for her. Maybe if she explores options independently . . . maybe if she moves away from fickle machinery . . . Either way it's a conversation for a different day. Without anything definite she's sure Silph will rebuff these thoughts as easily as the last.

"Ultra Space is off limits, noted," she says with a smile and a nod. A hand rises to her chin to stroke absent-mindedly at the smooth skin there. A little bit of makeup rubs off on the tips of her fingers but she can't work up the energy to care. What can she promise to a Silph that would interest them . . .

Well, it's a bit mundane, but maybe mundane is where they need to start.

"I studied Starmie and Staryu in grad school, part of a select few chosen by a visiting Kantonian professor," she starts, "As I've already mentioned that particular line is known for sending messages into space. In the past it's been a struggle to decipher them. As I've also mentioned, who they're trying to reach and why is unknown."

Amalia doesn't look at Silph as she speaks, doesn't really look anywhere. Her eyes are trained on the windshield and the traffic outside, but her attention is inward. On the new pitch she's trying to throw together.

"But, since my move to Hoenn I've been working with a few in my own possession. Meteor Falls has . . . changed the behavior of some pokemon I brought from abroad with origins not of this world," she continues, "In particular my Staryu and Starmie have been transmitting slightly different, much more dense signals. They seem very eager to get in touch with whoever they're calling for."

Amalia finally looks at Silph, eyes intense.

"My background in the study of the species lends me a special insight into how to read and analyze these signals. A task I'm already undertaking. With access to Silph resources I could do that work faster. More efficiently. I won't spin you empty promises of what we might get from understanding their midnight messages; but maybe you can see the potential opportunities in being the first to do so?"

close tab

played by

spiral

silph
SIR
twenty-nine
august 12th
saffron
oppressive
silph co. ceo
council member
awards
8,737 posts
part of
TAG WITH @silph
FERNANDO SILPH
POSTED ON Mar 24, 2021 22:07:21 GMT
FERNANDO SILPH Avatar
[attr="class","spiral"]“

Fernando settles within the cold blanket of his own silence. With what few distractions exist between them, he gives her the entirety of his attention sans direct eye contact. As long as she’s willing to part with an interesting tale then he’s game enough to squander what little free time he has left.

Her premise is boring at first. There’s nothing significant he can really construe from her subject matter aside from a vain interest in conquering the unknown for the sake of her own curiosity. However, her timing is impeccable. Fate shines through the wind shield as the sun sets on the backdrop of a world recovering from the Three Day War.

So what do you need from me? What resources?

close tab

played by

sunshine

amy, dr. samson
she/her
thirty-four
october 13th
lacunosa town
homosexual
researcher
civilian
awards
32 posts
part of
TAG WITH @amalia
amalia samson
POSTED ON Mar 25, 2021 23:03:03 GMT
amalia samson Avatar
[attr="class","sunshine"]The smug, self-satisfied flash of teeth Amalia shoots at Silph is unmistakable as anything else. She feels like the Purrloin that got the cream all over.

She crosses her arms over her chest before leaning back into her plush passenger seat. Eyes on the purple horizon.

The fingers of her right hand drum out an easy, peppy rhythm on her left bicep. 1-and-a-2, 1-and-a-2, 1-and-a-2.

"Oh there is so much I need from you, Mr. Silph," she says with a voice dripping in anticipation, "but as far as the project at hand is concerned . . . Money or the materials I'd buy with it will do. I've got some special radios and cameras on loan from that kind Kantonian professor I mentioned earlier, but they're outdated. The favors he owes me were enough to secure his help but not to get my hands on the newer models he's developed and purchased since our time working together."

She looks back at Silph. Smirk subdued enough that her teeth no longer bare themselves quite so ostentatiously.

"Once I've proven myself through this, though, I will be coming back to ask for quite a bit more."

close tab

played by

spiral

silph
SIR
twenty-nine
august 12th
saffron
oppressive
silph co. ceo
council member
awards
8,737 posts
part of
TAG WITH @silph
FERNANDO SILPH
POSTED ON Mar 29, 2021 22:20:13 GMT
FERNANDO SILPH Avatar
[attr="class","spiral"]Money.

It’s always money.

Sometimes, it’s all he’s good for. And for good reason. Silph Co. is, at its basis, the most stable economic powerhouse in the world. As long as the world relies on Pokeballs and respects international rules of trade so too will his empire exist.

A dynasty built on generations of inheritance cannot crumble within a day no matter how catastrophic the damages. But that does not mean it cannot be deflated. Needless expenditures are the bloatware that causes profits to burst. This is why Fernando cannot entertain every request. After all, everything has a price.

Materials then,” he answers with a click of his tongue. “Bill an itemized list of required purchases. Accounting will handle the rest.

He entertains her request but not without his own conditions. Everything has a price and Fernando’s requires payment in full. Both in deliverables and labor.

He can smell profit in her work even if there’s no basis to hedge it on.

Upon acceptance of your offer letter. Silph Co. has to take care of its own, after all. Especially those that sign on with a sharp agreeance to our company guidelines.

close tab

played by

sunshine

amy, dr. samson
she/her
thirty-four
october 13th
lacunosa town
homosexual
researcher
civilian
awards
32 posts
part of
TAG WITH @amalia
amalia samson
POSTED ON Apr 5, 2021 18:43:14 GMT
amalia samson Avatar
[attr="class","sunshine"]Materials then," Amalia practically purrs. It doesn't escape her attention, that he doesn't just promise her the money and let her do with it what she pleases. She doesn't take it personally of course. Silph has already proven himself the cautious type, and she's much too excited to have funding in any form to so much as bristle at anything he says.

Already she all but bounces in place with energy to work. With thoughts of what she'll be able to do with a benefactor as glorious as the CEO of Silph Co. All she has to do is make good on this first bit of research . . . What's the best way to do that? Her eyes glaze over as she runs through the improvements she can make on his tab and the best ways to use them to save time.

Just how soon can she make herself indispensable?

"Hmm?" his follow-up comment pulls Amalia out of her musing, "Ah, of course."

Her smile widens, deep dimples pushing into her cheeks and crinkling the corners of her eyes.

"Honest, generous, and loyal . . . I could see myself agreeing to quite a bit for such a promising partnership."

close tab

played by

spiral

silph
SIR
twenty-nine
august 12th
saffron
oppressive
silph co. ceo
council member
awards
8,737 posts
part of
TAG WITH @silph
FERNANDO SILPH
POSTED ON Apr 9, 2021 22:38:49 GMT
FERNANDO SILPH Avatar
[attr="class","spiral"]“Good.

Their ride encapsulates whatever illusion others have about Silph and his free time—it’s non-existent. Something as inconsequential as a car ride between scheduled appointments gets twisted into another avenue of work. Anything to squeeze another mine of his time. Unfortunately, Amalia has wrung him for everything he has. They reach their destination: a Silph Co. proxy office.

You’ll be agreeing to a lot. We take security and confidentiality very seriously. The measures outlined in your employee handbook should prove drastically more anal than anywhere else you’ve worked before.” He says this in confidence because only four or five competitors dare to match him. Such a heavy handed approach tends to lead to more red tape than progress, but Silph Co. has managed regardless.

The car parks itself, quite well considering the driver’s lack of interaction. When the gear shifts into place, Fernando undoes his seatbelt, exiting without regard to his passenger. “Will that be all or did you want to take a glimpse of your introductory capstone project.

close tab

played by

sunshine

amy, dr. samson
she/her
thirty-four
october 13th
lacunosa town
homosexual
researcher
civilian
awards
32 posts
part of
TAG WITH @amalia
amalia samson
POSTED ON May 9, 2021 7:48:04 GMT
amalia samson Avatar
[attr="class","sunshine"]She's itching to smoke again as Silph starts talking contracts and handbooks. This all went much smoother than Amalia anticipated, but still it feels amazing. Satisfaction keeps hitting her in waves and . . . god she could just use a smoke right now.

"I would expect nothing less," Amalia replies, finally giving into the itch and pulling out a red box. She pulls out a cigarette but doesn't put it to her lips or light it yet. Just rolls it between her fingers. The promise of a smoke is enough to curb the cravings, if only slightly.

When the car stops Amalia expects to be dismissed. 'That'll be all Ms. Samson, you start on Monday,' or something to that effect. Silph is clearly busy, and it's not like she'd booked a time for this little tete-a-tete of theirs. It's then a pleasant surprise when she's given the choice to stay. To take a look around.

"I think I would like that very much, Mr. Silph," she says, smile turning into more of a smirk; yet somehow still growing more smug and self-satisfied, "You wouldn't mind terribly if I smoked, would you?"

She asks the question while exiting the vehicle, carefully turning in her seat to put heels to the concrete outside (click click) before standing -- cigarette already hanging from her lips by the time she's stopped speaking.