2,345 posts
skyler dross DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @skyler
skyler dross
taxi
POSTED ON May 30, 2021 15:01:02 GMT
skyler dross Avatar

"Well, that certainly makes me feel better about it." The casualness of Skyler's voice is only betrayed by a twitch of her lips, curling into a wry smile dipped in mischief. 

Matias' pokemon are acknowledged with a slow blink, though she doesn't make a point of keeping an eye on them. Should he wish to sabotage her, he would soon find out that Nautilus wasn't quite as alone as she'd implied. Precautions, and all that.

"It would be bad form to drink on duty, wouldn't you agree, Sergeant?" A quirked eyebrow meets Matias' advance. Her booted foot taps on the stairs leading down to the cabin. "You'll find several bottles of tequila in the cabinet." A pause, an assessing gaze landing on Matias. "That should be enough for both of us."

close tab

played by

noodles

matias
he/him
thirty-two
november 14th
saffron
straight...unless?
elite four
champion
a life
to live for.
1321 height
1321 height
i'll try to find you in mountains made of ash and clouds of smoke.
awards
8,068 posts
MATIAS SILPH DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @matias
MATIAS SILPH
taxi
POSTED ON May 30, 2021 16:16:03 GMT
MATIAS SILPH Avatar
[attr="class","matias"]should be?

"i didn't take you for an optimist."

regardless, he dips his haed, then disappears down the stairs. a few moments pass and soon he's climbing back up with two bottles of tequila and two glasses.

he approaches, sets them down, and pops open a bottle. clear liquor hits and swirls as he pours, and he soon extends one over to the captain.

"to the mariner."

[attr="class","noodles"]
[newclass=.matias] text-align: justify; font-size: 12px; } .matias b { color: #d5ad40; font-size: 13px; } .matias u { color: #b5b5b5; font-style: italic; text-decoration: underline dotted #d5ad40; font-size: 13px; } .matias a { font-family: inherit; font-size: medium; font-weight: bold; text-transform: uppercase; } .matias .noodles { margin: 0; padding: 5px 0; } .matias .noodles img { max-width: 100%; max-height: 100%; border: none; outline: none; margin: 0; padding: 0; display: inline; float: none; } .matias .noodles .pkmn { display: inline; } .matias .noodles .inactive { filter: grayscale(1); -webkit-filter: grayscale(1); [/newclass]
close tab

played by

owli

dross, captain
she, her
august 17
Lilycove, Hoenn
bisexual
sailor / treasure hunter
nautica owner
how bold I was, could be - will be - still am
awards
2,345 posts
skyler dross DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @skyler
skyler dross
taxi
POSTED ON May 30, 2021 16:51:29 GMT
skyler dross Avatar

"I didn't take you for the fancy type." She hadn't known that there were glasses in The Mariner, let alone how Matias had found them. The way she casts an amused glance at them makes it obvious that her usual drinking methods are of a more barbaric nature.

Regardless, she takes the glass with a thankful nod. And one of the bottles too for good measure. Was this an awful idea? Yes. Would she do it, though? Also yes

Common sense had never been one of Skyler's strongest suits.

"To being an optimist."
Insolence bleeds into her words as she raises the glass, punctuated by a challenging tilt of her chin before downing the contents of the glass in one fell swoop.

What was the saying again?

Ah yes, drinking like a sailor.

close tab

played by

noodles

matias
he/him
thirty-two
november 14th
saffron
straight...unless?
elite four
champion
a life
to live for.
1321 height
1321 height
awards
8,068 posts
MATIAS SILPH DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @matias
MATIAS SILPH
taxi
POSTED ON May 30, 2021 17:08:16 GMT
MATIAS SILPH Avatar
[attr="class","matias"]the glasses aren't likely clean, he realizes that now, but he doesn't mind regardless. he clinks his glass against hers, toasting. he downs his in one fell swoop, too.

the sting feels nice; burn even nicer.

"i believe you owe me a story."

he reaches for her glass because he knows she won't be needing it. he discards his, too, and pops open another bottle.

"of the first mariner and its perils."

[attr="class","noodles"]
[newclass=.matias] text-align: justify; font-size: 12px; } .matias b { color: #d5ad40; font-size: 13px; } .matias u { color: #b5b5b5; font-style: italic; text-decoration: underline dotted #d5ad40; font-size: 13px; } .matias a { font-family: inherit; font-size: medium; font-weight: bold; text-transform: uppercase; } .matias .noodles { margin: 0; padding: 5px 0; } .matias .noodles img { max-width: 100%; max-height: 100%; border: none; outline: none; margin: 0; padding: 0; display: inline; float: none; } .matias .noodles .pkmn { display: inline; } .matias .noodles .inactive { filter: grayscale(1); -webkit-filter: grayscale(1); [/newclass]
close tab

played by

owli

dross, captain
she, her
august 17
Lilycove, Hoenn
bisexual
sailor / treasure hunter
nautica owner
awards
2,345 posts
skyler dross DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @skyler
skyler dross
taxi
POSTED ON May 30, 2021 17:29:42 GMT
skyler dross Avatar

"I do."

Captain Dross settles into the story easily, speaking past the pleasant burn in her throat.

"The Mariner was sent down to good ol’ Davy Jones Locker by pirates last summer. Technically this one is The Mariner Two." She brings the bottle to her lips, pausing to relish in the smooth, earthy flavor that slides down her throat.

Swiping a tongue along her bottom lip for any remnants, she continues. "That smiley face? Some asshole stole the boat from me and did that. I could never clean it off properly." Silver eyes shift to Matias, vicious satisfaction turning her next words into a growl. "I kicked his ass, of course."

And if I ever see him again, he’ll wish he’d never set foot in Hoenn.

close tab

played by

noodles

matias
he/him
thirty-two
november 14th
saffron
straight...unless?
elite four
champion
a life
to live for.
1321 height
1321 height
awards
8,068 posts
MATIAS SILPH DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @matias
MATIAS SILPH
taxi
POSTED ON May 30, 2021 17:37:51 GMT
MATIAS SILPH Avatar
[attr="class","matias"]"may the mariner rest easy."

he raises the bottle, tips it back, and matches her. two for two so far.

the smiley face incident makes him chuckle. he sees the satisfaction behind her eyes, sees the viciousness, and for moments he sympathizes for the asshole who stole the boat. only a brief few moments, though.

"i personally think it's a nice touch. gives the mariner two a nice story to tell strangers who hitch rides with you across the region."

he tips the bottle back again, going three for two.

[attr="class","noodles"]
close tab

played by

owli

dross, captain
she, her
august 17
Lilycove, Hoenn
bisexual
sailor / treasure hunter
nautica owner
awards
2,345 posts
skyler dross DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @skyler
skyler dross
taxi
POSTED ON May 30, 2021 18:52:23 GMT
skyler dross Avatar

The unspoken challenge does not go unnoticed. Captain Dross follows the path of Matias' bottle to his lips, watches from the corner of her eyes as he gulps down the liquid. Calloused fingers tighten around her own bottle in response, adrenaline spiking.

"It grew on me," Skyler confesses in a mock whisper, punctuating the sentence with another swig of high-quality tequila - letting out a satisfied sigh at the ensuing burn.   "Could've painted over it, but didn't. Now my reputation as a tough seafarer is besmirched."

By the look on her face, the very last thing that worries Skyler is having her reputation besmirched. This becomes more evident when she perches on the control panel, arm propped on her knee while her other leg dangles down.

"Have you any stories of your own to share, then? Y'know, quid pro quo or some shit like that."

close tab

played by

noodles

matias
he/him
thirty-two
november 14th
saffron
straight...unless?
elite four
champion
a life
to live for.
1321 height
1321 height
awards
8,068 posts
MATIAS SILPH DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @matias
MATIAS SILPH
taxi
POSTED ON May 30, 2021 19:09:38 GMT
MATIAS SILPH Avatar
[attr="class","matias"]three for thre—oh. three for four. he takes another swig and levels it.

"how will it ever recover?"

his expression falters for the briefest of moments when she shifts focus back over to him, mind suddenly forced to remember things he'd rather stay buried. perhaps it's the alcohol, but he decides to entertain one, at the very least.

"that depends." swig. "most of mine revolve around the war in kanto. not sure how keen you are about shit like that."

[attr="class","noodles"]
close tab

played by

owli

dross, captain
she, her
august 17
Lilycove, Hoenn
bisexual
sailor / treasure hunter
nautica owner
awards
2,345 posts
skyler dross DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @skyler
skyler dross
taxi
POSTED ON May 30, 2021 22:42:40 GMT
skyler dross Avatar

"It won't recover. No great loss there, really." 

A shadow falls over Skyler's expression, body stilling with the bottle halfway to her mouth. Silver eyes darken with a looming ocean storm. She might not be Kantonian, but war had brought its bloody talons to this region too. "Is anyone ever keen on war?" She thinks there probably is. She also thinks that those people belong at bottom of the sea, feeding the worms.

Even the alcohol isn't enough to chase away the bitter chill, though Captain Dross certainly tries. Numbness had never been her preferred coping mechanism, as her bruised knuckles could attest to - but it worked. 

"I don't suppose any of them are about having your reputation besmirched?"

The grin is faint - but it is there.

close tab

played by

noodles

matias
he/him
thirty-two
november 14th
saffron
straight...unless?
elite four
champion
a life
to live for.
1321 height
1321 height
awards
8,068 posts
MATIAS SILPH DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @matias
MATIAS SILPH
taxi
POSTED ON May 31, 2021 13:31:01 GMT
MATIAS SILPH Avatar
[attr="class","matias"]a solemn look washes over him because he knows some are too keen on war. some look for a fight because it's all they've ever known, and that doing anything else feels...meaningless.

his expression softens at her question. he nods, offering a smile.

"a fair few, actually. but the most jarring one happened recently."

he peels his eyes away, turning to gaze out at the rolling ocean.

"people have...strong opinions about my surname. not too sure why, can't seem to figure it out, but it seems like my reputation was besmirched even before i got here."

[attr="class","noodles"]
close tab

played by

owli

dross, captain
she, her
august 17
Lilycove, Hoenn
bisexual
sailor / treasure hunter
nautica owner
awards
2,345 posts
skyler dross DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @skyler
skyler dross
taxi
POSTED ON May 31, 2021 22:33:08 GMT
skyler dross Avatar

The city of Sootopolis blinks from behind craggy rocks in the distance, but Captain Dross is only barely aware of it as she peers at the man, chasing after a gaze that peels away into the ocean. Naked curiosity swims in her quicksilver eyes.

"It would've been a lot more fun if you'd besmirched your reputation yourself. Talking from experience, of course." The slow, satisfied smile that pulls at her lips is halfway hidden by a tequila bottle as she lifts it for a generous swing. 

"It bothers you."

close tab

played by

noodles

matias
he/him
thirty-two
november 14th
saffron
straight...unless?
elite four
champion
a life
to live for.
1321 height
1321 height
awards
8,068 posts
MATIAS SILPH DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @matias
MATIAS SILPH
taxi
POSTED ON Jun 1, 2021 7:24:58 GMT
MATIAS SILPH Avatar
[attr="class","matias"]"a little."

he raises the bottle, downs a swig, and lowers it. the bottle hangs between loose fingers.

"i'd rather not be compared to them."

to him.

his expression sours only to be washed over by a familiar mask. he feigns a smile, turning to meet her gaze.

"have you met them?"

[attr="class","noodles"]
close tab

played by

owli

dross, captain
she, her
august 17
Lilycove, Hoenn
bisexual
sailor / treasure hunter
nautica owner
awards
2,345 posts
skyler dross DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @skyler
skyler dross
taxi
POSTED ON Jun 1, 2021 9:25:12 GMT
skyler dross Avatar

Captain Dross is happy to leave the subject of war behind; some wounds are still too fresh to be brought up without a creeping need to down the whole bottle in her hand - and they still needed to get to Rustboro. Preferably without sailing into rocks.

"Aye, I have." Another swig of the bottle. "I gave some swimming lessons last year. Hopefully she kept it up." There's some level of threat in her words, countered by a playful grin.

Her brow creases as she attempts to recall the other sibling, pulling memories from televised events and the occasional news. "The other... , right? Tall, stick up his ass, looks like he's about to deliver a villain speech?"

close tab

played by

noodles

matias
he/him
thirty-two
november 14th
saffron
straight...unless?
elite four
champion
a life
to live for.
1321 height
1321 height
awards
8,068 posts
MATIAS SILPH DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @matias
MATIAS SILPH
taxi
POSTED ON Jun 1, 2021 9:33:17 GMT
MATIAS SILPH Avatar
[attr="class","matias"]lips shape into a warmer smile at the mention of . he laughs, resminiscing on a time long passed.

"i tried to do the same when we were younger. guess you're the better teacher, captain."

two for two, he laughs again, perhaps finding it easier to with more than half a bottle's worth of alcohol in him.

"he looked like that when he was younger, too."

[attr="class","noodles"]
close tab

played by

owli

dross, captain
she, her
august 17
Lilycove, Hoenn
bisexual
sailor / treasure hunter
nautica owner
awards
2,345 posts
skyler dross DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @skyler
skyler dross
taxi
POSTED ON Jun 1, 2021 9:54:13 GMT
skyler dross Avatar

Skyler blinks. "No shit." She tries to imagine a child with the same kind of expression Matias' sibling uses, prompting an inelegant snort to escape her, unexpected.

It couldn't have been all bad, Captain Dross thinks. He seems to have fond recollections of at least one of the siblings, which makes it perfectly obvious to her where the problem lies.

She takes the bottle to her lips, pensive. Figuring they'd need at least a couple more if the current conversation was any indication.

"And where d'you fit in all of that, Matias?"