july sixteenth
wyndon city
pansexual
biochemist
irrelevant
workaholic
23 height
23 height
i used to dream in the dark of palisades park.
awards
112 posts
part of
TAG WITH @natalie
natalie fairchild
permission
POSTED ON May 25, 2021 4:55:55 GMT
natalie fairchild Avatar

natalie's heels echo through the hall as she approaches. her movements are methodical; purposed. she saunters up and towards the desk that acts as a checkpoint for the underbosses office, narrowing a dangerous gaze onto the man's name tag.

"ellis," she purrs, her voice lingering as if practicing the best way to say his name. her nail draws an invisible line on the desk and emerald eyes slide towards gavin's door. the slightest curl of her lip tells she's amused. but about what?

"i believe i have an appointment."
close tab

played by

thorn

Gavin Merlino
he/him
october 28th
circhester, galar
demisexual
the harbinger
underboss
creatures of habit, carrion flowers, growing from repeated crimes.
awards
7,890 posts
part of
TAG WITH @gavin
Cillian Quinn
permission
POSTED ON May 25, 2021 14:08:23 GMT
Cillian Quinn Avatar
As he worked for Gavin, Ellis was no stranger to an unsettling presence. Still, there's something about the woman's amusement that seems to set him on edge. His brow furrows at her comment, and he double-checks something on his phone.

"Do you?"

But she'd seemed so certain...

"I'll check with Merlino, just a second..."

It's several seconds before the imposing metal door to the underbosses office shimmers with a faint pink light, the thunk of a disengaging lock audible in the quiet atmosphere. It opens a moment later, and Gavin leans against the doorframe.

"I don't have any appointments, but I can spare a moment."

He steps back from the door, gestures for her to come in.

"Fairchild, yes? Beckett's told me about you."
close tab

played by

greyson

nat
she/her
twenty-six
july sixteenth
wyndon city
pansexual
biochemist
irrelevant
workaholic
23 height
23 height
awards
112 posts
part of
TAG WITH @natalie
natalie fairchild
permission
POSTED ON May 26, 2021 16:14:36 GMT
natalie fairchild Avatar

natalie watches the door patiently, the tip of her nail circling the wood on ellis's desk. the corner of her lip still curled in a devilish smile. as if she knew something the rest didn't.

which, unfortunately for gavin, was the case.

when the vault-like door finally opens and gavin reveals himself, natalie feels her pulse quicken in excitement. she looks to ellis, mischief in her eyes. "told you. appointment." with a casual disregard, natalie tips elli's nameplate over with a simple push of her finger and moves to enter.

"he's been talking about me?" she mused, sliding past. "and here i thought the 'blank' wasn't capable of gossip." she'd coined the pet name for theo after their brief encounter. she thought it suited him. she sits, tossing a leg over one knee and looking entirely too comfortable.

"i've heard a lot about you, too, mr. merlino. from our mutual friend upstairs."

close tab

played by

thorn

Gavin Merlino
he/him
october 28th
circhester, galar
demisexual
the harbinger
underboss
awards
7,890 posts
part of
TAG WITH @gavin
Cillian Quinn
permission
POSTED ON May 26, 2021 16:31:44 GMT
Cillian Quinn Avatar
"Beckett is one of our admins, so naturally, he reports to me."

There's warning in his tone, thinly veiled, but something in Natalie's demeanour tells Gavin that she'll be indifferent to such threats. She saunters into his office as if she owns the space, sits, and drops a bomb.

Upstairs could only mean one thing; Declan Walsh.

The door shimmers under the effects of a fairy-lock, and Gavin circles his desk to sit behind it.

"Good things, I hope."

Though he feigns indifference, amusement, Gavin's relaxed demeanour has shifted to something tense. She was interested in the study of Avatars, Gavin knew, and Walsh's words have engraved themselves upon his memory.
close tab

played by

greyson

nat
she/her
twenty-six
july sixteenth
wyndon city
pansexual
biochemist
irrelevant
workaholic
23 height
23 height
awards
112 posts
part of
TAG WITH @natalie
natalie fairchild
permission
POSTED ON May 26, 2021 16:55:25 GMT
natalie fairchild Avatar

natalie dismisses the threat with a wave of her hand, emerald eyes scanning the offices interior. it was nice. to be expected of one of the senior executives of team rocket. still, it could use a woman's touch.

"he has high expectations of you, as i am no doubt you are aware." she says, turning her pointed gaze back onto gavin. there's something there, in his actions; his tone. something she can't quite place.

yet.

"he's expressed onto me similar expectations." natalie says, smoothing out the hem of her skirt as she continues. "in fact, it's so important to him, he's offered me anything, or anyone, i may need to accomplish my research." her lips pull back into a dangerous smile as she waits for the words to sink-in.

natalie was confident she needn't wait long.

close tab

played by

thorn

Gavin Merlino
he/him
october 28th
circhester, galar
demisexual
the harbinger
underboss
awards
7,890 posts
part of
TAG WITH @gavin
Cillian Quinn
permission
POSTED ON May 26, 2021 17:35:32 GMT
Cillian Quinn Avatar
Gavin's office could, in fact, use any form of personal touch. It is stark, utilitarian, devoid of any personality beyond a pair of gleaming red eyes that watch from behind a circular window to the ocean.

Lugia's presence exerts a PRESSURE that Gavin does not feel.

"As I am his underboss, I should hope so."

There is something pointed in his gaze, as well, a sharp quality that suggests a threat. He is no fool, and her implication settles before the last words have dripped from her tongue, but neither will he accept her attitude.

"Consent has been provided," forced, though he doesn't say it, "to further Rocket's research into Avatars. We own that research, regardless of who conducts it. But I'm well aware of my worth, Fairchild."

He leans forward in his chair, voice dropping low.

"It will be far worse for you, should something go wrong."
close tab

played by

greyson

nat
she/her
twenty-six
july sixteenth
wyndon city
pansexual
biochemist
irrelevant
workaholic
23 height
23 height
awards
112 posts
part of
TAG WITH @natalie
natalie fairchild
permission
POSTED ON May 26, 2021 19:56:13 GMT
natalie fairchild Avatar

narrowed eyes catch the crimson orbs staring back at her. she feels the lugia's PRESSURE as it bears down like the weight of a boulder. breathing becomes more difficult; each inhale like sucking air through a straw. the change is noticeable. impossible to hide. but natalie doesn't let it change her expression. her piercing glare remains fixed for a moment longer before returning to gavin. as she was, challenging such creatures would be a fatal.

but make no mistake, soon it would be the god's fearing her.

"of course," she concedes, nodding her head once in his direction. supplication satisfied those in power. she would give it. at least, the illusion of it. after all, gavin was a man in a position where the threats, and orders, were nearly always one-sided. she understood his need to establish dominance. she expected it.

"unlike others, you'll find i care for more my results, than crediting myself for them. i also suspect i'm as disposable as nearly everyone else here." her eyes flash, aware that not even gavin himself was untouchable. "but i'm here to do a job. and i will get the answers i'm looking for. that much i do know."

"so, mr. merlino, appointments or no appointments. i believe it best if you cleared your schedule for the rest of the day." a pause, to catch her breathe. annoyance towards the shadow-pokemon only furthering. "i have a feeling we will be very busy."
close tab

played by

thorn

Gavin Merlino
he/him
october 28th
circhester, galar
demisexual
the harbinger
underboss
awards
7,890 posts
part of
TAG WITH @gavin
Cillian Quinn
permission
POSTED ON May 26, 2021 20:10:00 GMT
Cillian Quinn Avatar
Disposable.

He fixates on the word, amber eyes narrowing.

"More so than myself. Scientists are a dime a dozen; I was one. Avatars... less so."

He would not be marked as disposable by any beneath him; Declan Walsh alone held the power to cow him, and the glint in Natalie's stare is acknowledged and dismissed. He has earned his place within Rocket. He intends to keep it.

"You forget that I have a job of my own," he scoffs, when she insists he clear his schedule there and then. "You do not get to waltz into my office and dictate my schedule, no matter how important you deem your work."

Who does she think she is?

"My time is valuable. Limited."

His patience wears thin.
close tab

played by

greyson

nat
she/her
twenty-six
july sixteenth
wyndon city
pansexual
biochemist
irrelevant
workaholic
23 height
23 height
awards
112 posts
part of
TAG WITH @natalie
natalie fairchild
permission
POSTED ON May 26, 2021 20:34:20 GMT
natalie fairchild Avatar

there's something about a human being on the defensive that natalie relishes. the adrenaline. the veins that push through their skin. the rage in their eye. she recognizes the glint in gavin's eye. she'd seen it a dozen times over the years.

"you do have a job of your own, mr. merlino." natalie agrees, her expression unphased by the venom he spits. the anger that slowly seeps out. was this purely gavin's? or did his connection with lugia play it into in some way? fascinating. "but, unless my information is wrong, rocket has significantly less avatars than your enemies. which means rocket, and mr. walsh especially, are constantly at significant disadvantage."

natalie lets a moment pass before she exhales heavily; exaggeratingly.

"but you're right. i will inform upstairs that your time is limited and today just will not work for you." she goes to stand, brushing her skirts again. "the results i was ordered to present to mr. walsh today can wait. i'm sure he will understand, mr. merlino."

her smile shows teeth, like a sharpedo on the hunt, but nods her head appreciatively.

"thank you for your time."

close tab

played by

thorn

Gavin Merlino
he/him
october 28th
circhester, galar
demisexual
the harbinger
underboss
awards
7,890 posts
part of
TAG WITH @gavin
Cillian Quinn
permission
POSTED ON May 26, 2021 20:50:43 GMT
Cillian Quinn Avatar
Declan Walsh alone held the power to cow him.

So when Natalie mentions the boss by name, her orders, Gavin is forced to pause. Displeasure presents in the thin line of his lips, but he lifts a hand to stall her.

"So if I were to contact Walsh, and confirm those orders, I would find that you are telling the truth of their urgency?" He challenges her in turn, lifting a brow. "It is never a good idea to lie to me. I will only ask once."
close tab

played by

greyson

nat
she/her
twenty-six
july sixteenth
wyndon city
pansexual
biochemist
irrelevant
workaholic
23 height
23 height
awards
112 posts
part of
TAG WITH @natalie
natalie fairchild
permission
POSTED ON May 27, 2021 4:58:57 GMT
natalie fairchild Avatar

the atmosphere shifts. it's ever so subtle; barely noticeable if you weren't looking.

it wasn't the first time.

her back to gavin, there was a good chance her hungry smile went unnoticed as he rises to her challenge. the entire exchange leading to this moment; the crescendo in a beautiful symphony. natalie turns to face gavin once more, hands folded supplicantly at her abdomen.

"would you like me to stay in the room while you do?" she says, ignoring the threat in his words. she found men liked to posture alot. when a woman did something, she didn't give prior notice.

"i found mr. walsh to be quite charming when we spoke."
close tab

played by

thorn

Gavin Merlino
he/him
october 28th
circhester, galar
demisexual
the harbinger
underboss
awards
7,890 posts
part of
TAG WITH @gavin
Cillian Quinn
permission
POSTED ON May 27, 2021 5:20:11 GMT
Cillian Quinn Avatar
Charming.

Gavin can't imagine applying such a word to Walsh. Were it not for Natalie's saccharine performance, those words alone would have been enough to see him doubt her.

But he calls her bluff, and she stands by her words.

"I don't care what do you."

It's a few moments before he gets a reply to whatever message he'd sent. There is little visible change but for the press of his lips. It is on the inside that he shuts down. With his walls in place, he'll focus on feeling nothing at all.

No matter what the cost. He exhales.

"Consider my schedule cleared. What do you need from me?"
close tab

played by

greyson

nat
she/her
twenty-six
july sixteenth
wyndon city
pansexual
biochemist
irrelevant
workaholic
23 height
23 height
awards
112 posts
part of
TAG WITH @natalie
natalie fairchild
permission
POSTED ON May 27, 2021 5:54:19 GMT
natalie fairchild Avatar

natalie stands silently while gavin confirms what she already knows. she typically wasn't the type of person to relish in her victories. but this one? there was a satisfaction that she just couldn't do away with.

"excellent. i'm glad you've come around, mr. merlino." she made sure to as polite and professional as possible, but not to borderline meek. why? she suspected it would irritate him even further.

gavin didn't know it yet, but the tests had begun the moment she walked through the door.

"we've made preparations downstairs in the lab to run a series of tests. the standard kind. MRI, blood work, spinal fluid. nothing too bad." she contemplated worsening the experience based off his attitude, but decided against it. natalie had undoubtly deserved it. plus, he'd gained points with her for not backing down.

she moves to the door, but stops for a moment, turning her gaze onto the warden behind him. "if you don't mind as well, we'd love a blood sample of your, uh- sponsor."

close tab

played by

thorn

Gavin Merlino
he/him
october 28th
circhester, galar
demisexual
the harbinger
underboss
awards
7,890 posts
part of
TAG WITH @gavin
Cillian Quinn
permission
POSTED ON May 27, 2021 6:02:37 GMT
Cillian Quinn Avatar
He has walled off his bitterness. He is nothing but hollow.

Orders are orders.

"Yes, I've been through the standard procedures before."

It made them no less appealing, especially the mention of spinal fluid. His pain tolerance was high, but he did not revel in the feeling. They'd run enough tests on him by this point to make it feel as if he was going through clinical trials.

Lugia glares back at Natalie.

"Lugia minds," Gavin translates, pressing his lips together.

He gets up from his desk, and the fairy lock that had been keeping the door closed shimmers and dissipates.
close tab

played by

greyson

nat
she/her
twenty-six
july sixteenth
wyndon city
pansexual
biochemist
irrelevant
workaholic
23 height
23 height
awards
112 posts
part of
TAG WITH @natalie
natalie fairchild
permission
POSTED ON May 27, 2021 6:11:33 GMT
natalie fairchild Avatar

"excellent," natalie responds again, her smile showing teeth. "not having to explain will save us both time."

the chemist matches the legendaries glare with one of indifference. if anything, she seemed amused by it's response. even the god's could be difficult, if they chose.

but, what if she pressed a nerve?

"i understand. i will annotate their reluctance in my report."

she moves to the side as the door clicks open, revealing a path for the underboss to lead, should he wish.