thorn

Gavin Merlino
he/him
october 28th
circhester, galar
demisexual
the harbinger
underboss
creatures of habit, carrion flowers, growing from repeated crimes.
awards
7,897 posts
part of
TAG WITH @gavin
Cillian Quinn
heartlines
POSTED ON Jun 1, 2021 15:24:34 GMT
Cillian Quinn Avatar
The closest spot to sit is, thankfully, one of the barstools adjoining the island.

Gavin sits next to her, nudging the ashtray between them. He does not refill his drink when she does, merely staring out the broad window into the sparkling ocean blue.

His gaze shifts at mention of Ultra Space.

"I don't think you do." He frowns, realises how it comes across. "I mean - not anymore. It's gotten all kinds of fucked up, probably because of all the wormholes that cropped up last year. I was only in there five minutes but I wouldn't recommend it."

Still, he's curious. "Why?"
close tab

played by

mad

saoirse quinn
she/her
twenty-eight
october 27th
circhester, galar
bisexual
physicist / inventor
executive
the shadows breathe
whispering me away
5’8” height
5’8” height
every night i burn, dream the black crow dream
awards
4,412 posts
Lulu Flint DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @lulu
Lulu Flint
heartlines
POSTED ON Jun 8, 2021 22:51:53 GMT
Lulu Flint Avatar
Lulu knew what she wanted. She’d considered many things. No risks were too great for her. The things she wanted, in the end, were not self-serving. It would be sacrificial.

“I’m not scared.”

It was dishonest, but she tried to convince herself.

“A different world runs on different technology. A lot of it could be useful here, I think. It’s at least worth exploring.” She shrugged, taking yet another drink. “If I die, I die. No one has to join me.”

“And if I fail, no one can say I didn't try.”

They didn't operate to help the world as a whole, but her brother's quest for power and servitude to Walsh; one which she had whole-heartedly supported, was forgotten in her drunkenness.

She was, as he'd once put it, 'sloppy'.

close tab

played by

thorn

Gavin Merlino
he/him
october 28th
circhester, galar
demisexual
the harbinger
underboss
awards
7,897 posts
part of
TAG WITH @gavin
Cillian Quinn
heartlines
POSTED ON Jun 8, 2021 23:38:12 GMT
Cillian Quinn Avatar
Yeah, right.

But Gavin doesn't express his doubt, understanding. The Quinns were a proud pair. They'd been taught to hide their weaknesses lest they be ridiculed and punished for them.

"I'd rather you didn't die."

It went without saying, really, but he expresses it anyway.

"We've already got some of the technology from Ultra Space, from the war. Is that not enough for now?"

It's not doubt in her ambition that fuels him, but worry.
close tab

played by

mad

saoirse quinn
she/her
twenty-eight
october 27th
circhester, galar
bisexual
physicist / inventor
executive
the shadows breathe
whispering me away
5’8” height
5’8” height
awards
4,412 posts
Lulu Flint DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @lulu
Lulu Flint
heartlines
POSTED ON Jun 9, 2021 11:35:52 GMT
Lulu Flint Avatar
Her weaknesses were showing. She bared them almost unabashedly, sipping down another gulp of liquor and not making any prolonged eye contact.

“No. It’s not.” She responded plainly.

An arm found the bar and she reclined on an elbow. “Maybe I should go. I keep doing dumb shit here.” Fingers plucked up the glass and inspected it idly.

close tab

played by

thorn

Gavin Merlino
he/him
october 28th
circhester, galar
demisexual
the harbinger
underboss
awards
7,897 posts
part of
TAG WITH @gavin
Cillian Quinn
heartlines
POSTED ON Jun 9, 2021 12:14:04 GMT
Cillian Quinn Avatar
Gavin laughs, sharp.

"All right, fair."

They've never known the meaning of enough, have they? When Gavin thinks of what he wants, there is no end to what he would take if given the opportunity. Sootopolis, Hoenn, the rest of the fucking world.

His smirk subsides at the off-hand comment.

"What do you mean?"
close tab

played by

mad

saoirse quinn
she/her
twenty-eight
october 27th
circhester, galar
bisexual
physicist / inventor
executive
the shadows breathe
whispering me away
5’8” height
5’8” height
awards
4,412 posts
Lulu Flint DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @lulu
Lulu Flint
heartlines
POSTED ON Jun 9, 2021 12:32:13 GMT
Lulu Flint Avatar
At his question, her chest swelled with adrenaline and regret. She clutched the glass and finished its contents, setting it down lightly and staring at its emptiness a moment.

“I’ve been seeing , still…” Her tone was low, and perhaps audibly cautious.

It had to be addressed. Even drunk, she was more about her wits on the topic. Something about the man she loved couldn’t be trusted. Perhaps, it was absolutely everything.

Where had she lost sight of that? 

close tab

played by

thorn

Gavin Merlino
he/him
october 28th
circhester, galar
demisexual
the harbinger
underboss
awards
7,897 posts
part of
TAG WITH @gavin
Cillian Quinn
heartlines
POSTED ON Jun 9, 2021 12:35:03 GMT
Cillian Quinn Avatar
He listens, brow arching at the mention of Silph.

Yet where Lulu is intoxicated, Gavin remains sober. He drank only in moderation and with a high enough tolerance to be unaffected by what he'd thus far consumed. He is clear-headed and remembers her sensitivity to the topic.

He approaches with more tact than he'd shown prior.

"Okay," he acknowledges. "Has something happened?"
close tab

played by

mad

saoirse quinn
she/her
twenty-eight
october 27th
circhester, galar
bisexual
physicist / inventor
executive
the shadows breathe
whispering me away
5’8” height
5’8” height
awards
4,412 posts
Lulu Flint DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @lulu
Lulu Flint
heartlines
POSTED ON Jun 9, 2021 12:52:22 GMT
Lulu Flint Avatar
’Okay.’ That was a better reaction than last time, certainly. Perhaps a good move on his part, considering the particularly volatile circumstance of intoxication.

It was difficult. How to even begin such a confession?

“He knows I’m an avatar.” She paused, and picked at a cuticle. “I showed him.” Reached for another cigarette.

close tab

played by

thorn

Gavin Merlino
he/him
october 28th
circhester, galar
demisexual
the harbinger
underboss
awards
7,897 posts
part of
TAG WITH @gavin
Cillian Quinn
heartlines
POSTED ON Jun 9, 2021 13:00:03 GMT
Cillian Quinn Avatar
It's as if blood chills in his veins.

He didn't know much about Silph, but he knew the man was dangerous and one of Rocket's strongest opponents. He had power, wealth, influence.

It's clear even before Gavin speaks that he's upset with the news. He draws a slow breath to measure his response before he opens his mouth. If he was too aggressive in his approach, she'd run, and what if she ran straight back to him?

"Why would you...?"

close tab

played by

mad

saoirse quinn
she/her
twenty-eight
october 27th
circhester, galar
bisexual
physicist / inventor
executive
the shadows breathe
whispering me away
5’8” height
5’8” height
awards
4,412 posts
Lulu Flint DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @lulu
Lulu Flint
heartlines
POSTED ON Jun 9, 2021 13:14:32 GMT
Lulu Flint Avatar
Two grinds of a flint wheel lit her smoke and she blew a sharp, grey breath. It would be difficult to articulate an answer she didn’t have, especially in such a state.

Every nuance of his body language was noted on a microscopic level out of the corner of her eye. It was dizzying. Nauseating, even.

“I don’t know.”

She shook her head. “I wouldn’t. That’s the thing, and I know that sounds crazy, but it is. It just is. It’s… something.”

That it was.

“…”

“I think… he’s fucking with my head. He’s like… controlling my mind.”

She stared 1000 yards.

close tab

played by

thorn

Gavin Merlino
he/him
october 28th
circhester, galar
demisexual
the harbinger
underboss
awards
7,897 posts
part of
TAG WITH @gavin
Cillian Quinn
heartlines
POSTED ON Jun 9, 2021 13:51:55 GMT
Cillian Quinn Avatar
He listens, not interrupting.

It does sound crazy — absolutely fucking batshit, in fact, until she says something that makes him tense.

He remembers what he and had done to . He thinks of 's Malamar, and of his own Beheeyem. Mind control. Memory erasure. Such things were possible, even if they didn't always take, or stick.

"But not right now," he says, slowly, thinking out loud. "Because he doesn't know about me, right? He wouldn't know where I live."

He seeks confirmation rather than accusing.

"Do you think he's using a Pokemon to do it? Have you seen — a Beheeyem, maybe a Malamar?"
close tab

played by

mad

saoirse quinn
she/her
twenty-eight
october 27th
circhester, galar
bisexual
physicist / inventor
executive
the shadows breathe
whispering me away
5’8” height
5’8” height
awards
4,412 posts
Lulu Flint DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @lulu
Lulu Flint
heartlines
POSTED ON Jun 10, 2021 0:11:44 GMT
Lulu Flint Avatar
The memories Fernando had implanted, and those he’d assumed he’d taken away via his plethora of psychic-types, had been gradually shifting—perhaps with Darkrai’s influence and powers, or maybe that was just it: for one reason or another, it wasn’t ‘sticking’.

It had still not come all together yet, but with each flashback, things were gradually stitching up. This new realization was a big step. Maybe even a whole corner of the puzzle.

At Gavin’s questions, Lulu had no truthful answer. Really, she had no idea. For all she knew, it was a whole party in her head. Walsh was likely there too.

“No, of course not.” She took a long drag. Fuck. Come to think of it, did her coming here mean Fernando now knew where he lived?

Truly, every day, Ultra Space seemed less like a bad idea. Beam her up. The world was better off without, surely.

Mistake after mistake.

“I haven’t, but I’m sure he has them. And then there’s Tapu Fini…” she thought, and her face wrinkled a bit at something she hadn’t considered, and still wasn’t quite sure what it meant. “Actually, Darkrai fought it in the excursion. They seemed really focused on each other for some reason. And then…” Oh, Arceus. “…”

“...IwenttoLeagueHQtovisithimatthegymwhenitwasemptynallhislegendarieswerethere…”

“And Tapu Fini waved at me. I think it was smiling.” She turned to him, drunk and horrified. “That’s weird, right? Thas like, some bloody passive aggression, I think.”

close tab

played by

thorn

Gavin Merlino
he/him
october 28th
circhester, galar
demisexual
the harbinger
underboss
awards
7,897 posts
part of
TAG WITH @gavin
Cillian Quinn
heartlines
POSTED ON Jun 10, 2021 0:49:16 GMT
Cillian Quinn Avatar
Gavin blanches at the mention of Tapu Fini, of the excursion, Choi's reports coming back to him in sharp focus.

Oh, fuck.

"Wasn't there some mist making everyone act weird?"

hadn't been sure as to whether Fernando or Katherine were the cause, but if Lulu thought that Silph was controlling her mind...? Perhaps it was paranoia, the Quinns getting ahead of themselves. Arceus knew Gavin was the king of jumping to the worst conclusions. But what if it was connected?

"You went to League HQ?"

There's a sharp note of alarm in his tone.

"Yeah, that's... fuck, that's not good. Shit. Are there any gaps in your memory? Do you have any injuries you don't remember getting?"

He's leaning forward, intense.
close tab

played by

mad

saoirse quinn
she/her
twenty-eight
october 27th
circhester, galar
bisexual
physicist / inventor
executive
the shadows breathe
whispering me away
5’8” height
5’8” height
awards
4,412 posts
Lulu Flint DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @lulu
Lulu Flint
heartlines
POSTED ON Jun 10, 2021 1:18:41 GMT
Lulu Flint Avatar
“A mist?”

“I didn’t hear about a mist. Why didn’t I hear about that?”
Almost angrily, she stamped out her too-quickly-smoked cigarette and poured herself another drink, hissing, Bloody typical, I swear.

She had to really think about it. She didn’t remember, really, after going into the building. All of the shooting had come back to her in later unexpected flashes. Same as the others, actually.

The excursion flashbacks were real memories. So… were the other ones, too?

She nodded weakly about HQ. Yeah, so. Shit.

At gaps of memory: “Yeah, during the excursion, I killed four people and didn’t remember it until after I’d done it.”

She thought for another long moment and took a sip. It burned and didn’t stop as horror settled into her belly and spread throughout her entire body like an uncontrollable fire. “Actually, there’s another time.”

“I left for a week, a few months back. Took some time off or something, I honestly can’t even remember that. But…”

She choked on a light sigh, realizing an offshoot from her story was required. “I’ve also been seeing , and she stays over on occasion.” She waved her hands as though to urge him past this minor detail. “She watched Djall for me while I was gone after I bailed on her, I guess. Don't remember that either. Apparently, I left him without food.”

The next part of it was sort of embarrassing. “I remember being with Fernando, and being… intimate. But I don’t remember, like…” Eyes scanned the room, perhaps vaguely looking for a way out of the situation, “I came back covered in bruises.” She recalled. “Like, real ones. Cuts, even. It was weird.”

“And I noticed when I left him in the taxi, I didn’t need my glasses anymore. And I don’t know, I never really questioned that, for some reason...”

“Until now.”

Her throat was dry, heart clawing at it uncomfortably to jump out of her tightening chest.

close tab

played by

thorn

Gavin Merlino
he/him
october 28th
circhester, galar
demisexual
the harbinger
underboss
awards
7,897 posts
part of
TAG WITH @gavin
Cillian Quinn
heartlines
POSTED ON Jun 10, 2021 1:50:27 GMT
Cillian Quinn Avatar
Gavin looks confused.

"Wait, you didn't see it yourself?"

He'd assumed that she'd seen the same as Choi, hadn't thought to question its absence in her own report. People recalled different details at differing levels of importance; it's what made collecting all accounts so crucial.

But it becomes a little more clear when she confesses the gap in her memory.

Gaps, as it turned out.

His expression clouds over like the onset of a storm, darkening with each word. Bruises. Cuts. It could be a side effect of intimacy, but something in the way she says it makes him second-guess the assumption.

His grip is white-knuckled around his glass.

"If we find out he laid a fucking finger on you, we'll gut the bastard."

Gavin is a man of calm, controlled anger, but there a viciousness to his words that belies his protective nature. No one fucked with his family.

"I'll hold him down while you slit his fucking throat, Saoirse."

His hand trembles around the glass, and he lets it go. Takes a deep, steadying breath and notes the way miasma swirls around his fingers. His anger was usually calm, controlled, but it seemed to grow more volatile of late.

"We'll need to be sure, and Silph won't go down easy. But I'm with you, all the way. He's an avatar, but so are we."