6,485 posts
kyle lopez DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @kyle
kyle lopez
kyle vs doug [H✩T]
POSTED ON Jun 2, 2021 6:12:16 GMT
kyle lopez Avatar
ever since he got both the champion role and became a member of aqua, kyle has had lesser and lesser time to check out the newer gyms that popped up since then. thankfully, one of the names he has yet to visit was a prominent participant of the event.

he flags him down with a whistle and a wave of a hand. "hey!" he calls from afar. "you free or something?"

a battle wasn't an indication of how well a gym leader runs their establishment, but it's a good enough measure for kyle.

there was no rush for kyle since everything just started. most likely, people would just rush everything by the end of thee last day of the week-long event, and kyle wasn't that much different.

there was no telling about the mauville gym leader though, so kyle might as well have this match early on.

close tab

played by

Epic BugCatcher

Dr. Doug
He/Him
20 (40)
March 3
Viridian City, Kanto
It just works
Lt. Colonel, Medical Corps
AQUA Initiative
Dreaming
of our future
5' 11" (181 cm) / 180 lbs (82 kg) height
You're being healed. Please do not resist.
awards
2,948 posts
part of
TAG WITH @bugcatcherdoug
John Sullivan
kyle vs doug [H✩T]
POSTED ON Jun 3, 2021 14:21:09 GMT
John Sullivan Avatar
The food in these festivals was just too good! And everyone else's timing? Terrible.

For the third time now, Doug's porking out was interrupted, though thankfully, it was not the overzealous Mr. Referee this time. Instead it was-

"ACK-!" Doug coughed up as he swallowed his noodles in one go, banging his hand against his chest roughly before leaning back against his seat, saying casually (in a really raspy voice.) "Sure I got time."

Grabbing a bottle of water and swallowing the contents down in one go, the youth banged his chest again before jogging up to the man.

"'Ello there, Mr. Lopez! So how we doin' this?" He said, arms behind his head. There were so many formats to try out- though Doug had his preference. Still, the champ was, well, the champ. One needed to respect their seniors.
close tab

played by

aero

dog boy
he/him
october 24
verdanturf
asexual
league officer
champion
Join my dream it's just the right time, woah
awards
6,485 posts
kyle lopez DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @kyle
kyle lopez
kyle vs doug [H✩T]
POSTED ON Jun 4, 2021 14:38:47 GMT
kyle lopez Avatar
the smile on his expression stays still, not wanting to let the other know that his unfortunate circumstance happens to tickle his humor.

"whatever's your preference," kyle casually deflects back. "i ain't too picky."

kyle was only in this festival for one reason: to have fun and continue the habit of participating on hoenn's traditions. part of it was tied to his job requiring him to maintain appearances to the public.

well two, if he counts getting a battle out of a gym leader he has yet to fight in a match.

close tab

played by

Epic BugCatcher

Dr. Doug
He/Him
20 (40)
March 3
Viridian City, Kanto
It just works
AQUA Initiative
Dreaming
of our future
awards
2,948 posts
part of
TAG WITH @bugcatcherdoug
John Sullivan
kyle vs doug [H✩T]
POSTED ON Jun 4, 2021 23:32:30 GMT
John Sullivan Avatar

Doug gripped his chin in thought following those words. A fight against the champion, AND he got to pick? It was almost too good to be true.

Then again, if anything he had heard of the champion was right, he had a dog for every circumstance, so he could very well end up outmatched even on a match up he thought advantageous.

"Thank ya kindly, Mr. Lopez! I'll think of it as a rehearsal for when I challenge ya for real!" He said, pumping his fist excitedly. "Gonna be real soon!"

He certainly had enough badges- recent happenings however, had left very little time for his Gym Challenge. Maybe if he could find the Elite 4s spread all around the city...

He shook his head. Focus!

"Awright, so! How about a double battle?" Doug said, palming two pokeballs. "Guess I'll go first!"

"I now what some people think!" He said, thinking back to his battle with - the baffled expression on the boy's Rotom's face when he didn't send out a bug for battle.

As a Blissey and a Hatterene landed on the field, Doug grinned, pumping his hand.

"But I ain't the bug-type gym Leader, that's 's gig!" He said, tipping his hat. "I'm the Judgement Gym Leader, and military strategy's my specialty! Now show me what'cha got, champ! I know ya got a collection of badges bigger than Mr. 's bank account- ya better not disappoint, if ya want mine!"

"Prepare for combat!" He said, pumping his fist, prompting Nurse Joy to smile as she and Vivi exchanged looks, a glow being created between them as she triggered Skill Swap.

close tab

played by

aero

dog boy
he/him
october 24
verdanturf
asexual
league officer
champion
awards
6,485 posts
kyle lopez DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @kyle
kyle lopez
kyle vs doug [H✩T]
POSTED ON Jun 5, 2021 3:57:57 GMT
kyle lopez Avatar
"looking forward for it!"

he has mixed opinions for title defense challenges. on one hand, he'd very much like to have someone capable finally replace him on his job. on the other, contract clauses prohibit him from throwing matches and he'd rather not travel all the way to ever grande if he can help it.

"i'm not much for strategy, but," kyle responds as he takes out two pokeballs. "i'll try my best to keep up with your expectations."

two pokemon much smaller than doug's appear on his side: a smeargle and a pachirisu. "imprison. follow me." he commands as soon as they appear on the field.

the pachirisu claims the attention of everyone else in the field with sparks on its cheeks helping out with its intent. the smeargle, meanwhile, marks an area that prohibits the use of its own moves for the participants.

close tab

played by

Epic BugCatcher

Dr. Doug
He/Him
20 (40)
March 3
Viridian City, Kanto
It just works
AQUA Initiative
Dreaming
of our future
awards
2,948 posts
part of
TAG WITH @bugcatcherdoug
John Sullivan
kyle vs doug [H✩T]
POSTED ON Jun 5, 2021 4:16:24 GMT
John Sullivan Avatar
"Oh FUCK this." Doug said sharply as he saw that bloody Smeargle, the vietnam flashbacks of his battle at 's gym battling through his mind.

Imprison and then transform was the obvious play, while Pachirisu kept them unable to deal with it...

Not on his bloody watch.

"Sing, Power Whip, go crazy!" The youth ordered sharply, prompting nurse joy to immediately raise her angelic voice up to the sky; didn't matter if Pachirisu was being an attention whore when songs were free for everyone.

As for the wild whipping? Massive vines tore out of the pavement and rose high in the sky, before coming down swinging down; far too large for it to matter if they Pachirisu wanted attention.

CRACK!

Not in the least because they were aiming for the area 'marked' by the bloody painter, destroying its devilish trap.

"I ain't making it that easy- I've dealt with those annoying copycats 'fore!"

close tab

played by

aero

dog boy
he/him
october 24
verdanturf
asexual
league officer
champion
awards
6,485 posts
kyle lopez DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @kyle
kyle lopez
kyle vs doug [H✩T]
POSTED ON Jun 5, 2021 12:11:56 GMT
kyle lopez Avatar
the last round tells kyle what kind of moves doug's pokemon most likely carries. he opts to choose the more offensive one to cripple, readying his pokedex to get an idea of what the hatterene runs.

"transform. hatterene."

the smeargle turns to hatterene, completely restricting its moveset with imprison as soon as he changes shape. the status screen on the pokedex app changes accordingly, revealing kyle of its entire moveset.

"ooh, healer. that'll help."

the pachirisu remains sleeping despite being beaten up by vines and whips.

close tab

played by

Epic BugCatcher

Dr. Doug
He/Him
20 (40)
March 3
Viridian City, Kanto
It just works
AQUA Initiative
Dreaming
of our future
awards
2,948 posts
part of
TAG WITH @bugcatcherdoug
John Sullivan
kyle vs doug [H✩T]
POSTED ON Jun 5, 2021 19:19:21 GMT
John Sullivan Avatar
"It'll be annoying if he keeps calling attention to it- Crush that rat!" Ordered Doug sharply.

Against some odds, the Hatterene actually acted, her eyes shining a neon glow, mirroring the the glow surrounding the Pachirisu, before it began to attempt to hold it down and crush it.

Blissey was not much behind, launching herself towards the same Pachirisu with her whole body intent on slamming into it full body.

-Hatterene is using Psychic on Pachirisu.
-Blissey is using Double Edge on Pachirisu.
close tab

played by

aero

dog boy
he/him
october 24
verdanturf
asexual
league officer
champion
awards
6,485 posts
kyle lopez DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @kyle
kyle lopez
kyle vs doug [H✩T]
POSTED ON Jun 8, 2021 17:39:03 GMT
kyle lopez Avatar
kyle's surprised that a psychic field can get dispelled by breaking pavement, though that's nothing surprising compared to all the wonders that he had experienced before. he takes note of it and moves on.

with its new form, the smeargle tries to get a feel of its new body still when his trainer barks a command from behind him.

"heal pulse."

it turns to the pachirisu, who was being targeted by both opponents, and shoots a blast of energy at the sleeping pokemon. its properties as a healer manage to get it back up in action, though it's still incapacitated by the psychic force holding it down.

waking up with the splash of heal, the pachirisu manages to withstand damages with her teammate's heal pulse, meeting up the blissey with a super fang when it hit her with her body.

close tab

played by

Epic BugCatcher

Dr. Doug
He/Him
20 (40)
March 3
Viridian City, Kanto
It just works
AQUA Initiative
Dreaming
of our future
awards
2,948 posts
part of
TAG WITH @bugcatcherdoug
John Sullivan
kyle vs doug [H✩T]
POSTED ON Jun 10, 2021 14:43:10 GMT
John Sullivan Avatar
Blissey was a pretty resilient pokemon- probably as resilient as they came.

It mattered not with Super Fang. The Blissey gasped as the teeth sank deep and sapped at her strength- though she quickly moved to latch onto the Pachirisu, anticipating her trainer's order.

"Sing, Heal Pulse!" He ordered, now that that the Blissey was much closer to both opponents.

The Hatterene quickly blasted the nurse with a healing ray, washing away her current injuries while the Blissey lifted her voice to the sky and attempted to place both opponents to sleep with a lullaby.

-Hatterene is using Heal pulse on Blissey.
-Blissey is using Sing.

close tab

played by

aero

dog boy
he/him
october 24
verdanturf
asexual
league officer
champion
awards
6,485 posts
kyle lopez DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @kyle
kyle lopez
kyle vs doug [H✩T]
POSTED ON Jun 11, 2021 15:08:33 GMT
kyle lopez Avatar
the pachirisu was latched on the blissey, and the blissey seemed to be doing the same. not what he was expecting though, but at least it ties in with what he wants.

"pachi, nuzzle. get ready to block."

the electric-type buries its cheeks into the blissey's throat as it tries to sing in an attempt to paralyze it. force exerted on it aims to change tunes to prevent an actual pleasant-sounding lullaby.

in the meantime, its long tail tries to block the heal pulse from touching the blissey. it wasn't ready though since the command was just given, but it will be next time it happens. magic bounce activates from being skill swapped earlier in the match, however, and the heal pulse doesn't reach the normal-type.

"xane, mystical fire."

kyle doesn't give a target, but the smeargle chooses the one that's been on its lonesome for the entirety of the match so far. flames were thrown at the other hatterene to start chipping away at it.

close tab

played by

Epic BugCatcher

Dr. Doug
He/Him
20 (40)
March 3
Viridian City, Kanto
It just works
AQUA Initiative
Dreaming
of our future
awards
2,948 posts
part of
TAG WITH @bugcatcherdoug
John Sullivan
kyle vs doug [H✩T]
POSTED ON Jun 13, 2021 15:08:00 GMT
John Sullivan Avatar
"Power Whip!" Doug ordered- right before the fire washed over the Hatterene, the reflected Heal Pulse following almost immediately, negating the damage.

The sound of Doug palming his face followed as massive vines tore through the pavement around the transformed Smeargle, attempting to snare and crush it.

"I would like to say I planned that." He said. "But no, I've just been slackin' on my studies."

Studying pokemon that weren't bug types was such a drag- and he still had to study Military stuff. Why was he even using these guys again?

Oh, right. Pragmatism or whatever. His hatred for Rocket went deeper than his obsession with bugs.

For her part, the Blissey was now proper paralyzed- with her arms tightly wound around the Pachirisu, so it seemed like they wouldn't be going anywhere.

-Blissey is paralyzed.
-Hatterene is hit by Fire. Hatterene is healed by the reflected Heal Pulse. Hatterene used Power Whip.
close tab

played by

aero

dog boy
he/him
october 24
verdanturf
asexual
league officer
champion
awards
6,485 posts
kyle lopez DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @kyle
kyle lopez
kyle vs doug [H✩T]
POSTED ON Jun 17, 2021 18:34:30 GMT
kyle lopez Avatar
part of him wants to come back from his earlier statement of being more than just a bug-type trainer, but kyle holds the friendly jabs back since he supposed he can't just say those to people he wasn't close with. he opts for a chuckle instead, and moves on with the battle.

"xane, same thing. go extra. power whip on blissey."

when he sees his own pokemon try to pull away the gym leader's hatterene vines, kyle sees an opportunity to go beyond the use of transform. the smearglee, with its single hatterene appendage, let's the vines eventually ensnare it in favor of doing the same with its opponent.

vines start to grow from underneath the blissey. it creeps up, attempting to cover most of the pokemon with vines and traps it within a narrow cocoon of sorts together with the pachirisu.

"pachirisu, discharge."

the pokemon blasts electricity within the contained room, preventing it from going everywhere else, and more importantly, concentrating much of the force within by insulating the attack to itself along with the blissey.

close tab

played by

Epic BugCatcher

Dr. Doug
He/Him
20 (40)
March 3
Viridian City, Kanto
It just works
AQUA Initiative
Dreaming
of our future
awards
2,948 posts
part of
TAG WITH @bugcatcherdoug
John Sullivan
kyle vs doug [H✩T]
POSTED ON Jun 23, 2021 18:33:40 GMT
John Sullivan Avatar
"Evade it and uproot her!" He ordered in response to his opponent without delay. His inexperience with these two had been showing aplenty so far- A change of tactics was needed.

As the vines cracked the pavement and began to creep upwards, the Blissey leapt and scrambled back from the death trap, releasing her hold on the chipmunk in the process while Doug's Hatterene utilized her newfound grip on her clone to attempt and swing her into the Pachirisu.

Gripping his chin, the youth bit his lip and tipped his hat. Staying in the moment wasn't gonna work when the opponent was kyle lopez. He needed to plan ahead and come up with something...

-Blissey disengaged and drew back.
-Hatterene utilized Power Whip to try and swing her clone into Pachirisu.
tags:
close tab

played by

aero

dog boy
he/him
october 24
verdanturf
asexual
league officer
champion
awards
6,485 posts
kyle lopez DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @kyle
kyle lopez
kyle vs doug [H✩T]
POSTED ON Jun 27, 2021 18:41:36 GMT
kyle lopez Avatar
the discharge still goes through despite the large target nimbly moving out of the way of the vines with its paralysis. a burst of electricity discharges all throughout the area, hitting everything in the battlefield without the vines to restrict it.

a bit of the friendly fire was protected by the vines around the transformed smeargle, though his relief stops when he sees the hatterene move him to his pachirisu.

"change targets. xane, brutal swing. pachi, sweet kiss."

though he was covered with vines, the transformed smeargle's appendage was still free. when he bumps into the pachirisu, the claw grabs onto the vines to free himself, extending towards the blissey and brutally swinging it enough to control the electric-type's trajectory towards the hatterene, before continuing the swing at the dual-type, range extended with the vines.

the pachirisu is thrown towards the hatterene, accuracy and speed of its flight boosted by the smeargle. confirming that it's not magic bounce, the pachirisu plants a sweet kiss on it.

img
The Shula Region
Hogwarts AU
RPG Unlimited
MR
Marvel
The Enroi Region
N:FB
Vyrehaven
Celestial Guardians, AU Sailor Moon RP
Emerius, An Animanga Dragon Age Roleplay
">