1,306 posts
part of
TAG WITH @sam
samuel carter
matias vs. sam [H✩T]
POSTED ON Jun 2, 2021 22:59:47 GMT
samuel carter Avatar
"This seems so bizarre."

Sam wasn't complaining, not really. It just seemed incredibly silly to him. How was it that he had somehow managed to qualify for a sky battle with a gastly??

The ability levitate was clearly no joke.

Either way, Sam himself had a ground view of the fight. If either participant touched the ground, game over. Gastly touching the ground wouldn't damage it but he could kick up enough sand. Usually with his tongue.

The nasty.

All Sam had to do was wait for his opponent to show. Luckily, he wouldn't have to wait too long.
♂ levitate / curse, hypnosis, dream eater, dark pulse, shadowball, hex
close tab

played by

noodles

matias
he/him
thirty-two
november 14th
saffron
straight...unless?
elite four
champion
a life
to live for.
1321 height
1321 height
i'll try to find you in mountains made of ash and clouds of smoke.
awards
8,118 posts
MATIAS SILPH DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @matias
MATIAS SILPH
matias vs. sam [H✩T]
POSTED ON Jun 25, 2021 13:16:27 GMT
MATIAS SILPH Avatar
[attr="class","matias"]"it really does."

matias shrugs, then cracks open a pokeball. a scyther materializes, wings fluttering before it takes to the skies (somewhat; it's about ten feet up).

"nice to meet you! i'm matias. you can have the first move."

despite his words, scyther's already preparing itself with a SWORDS DANCE. oops.

[attr="class","noodles"]
[newclass=.matias] text-align: justify; font-size: 12px; } .matias b { color: #d5ad40; font-size: 13px; } .matias u { color: #b5b5b5; font-style: italic; text-decoration: underline dotted #d5ad40; font-size: 13px; } .matias a { font-family: inherit; font-size: medium; font-weight: bold; text-transform: uppercase; } .matias .noodles { margin: 0; padding: 5px 0; } .matias .noodles img { max-width: 100%; max-height: 100%; border: none; outline: none; margin: 0; padding: 0; display: inline; float: none; } .matias .noodles .pkmn { display: inline; } .matias .noodles .inactive { filter: grayscale(1); -webkit-filter: grayscale(1); [/newclass]
close tab

played by

wizz

the ferryman
he/him
twenty-eight
october fourteenth
lavender town, kanto
knoxsexual
team rocket
executive
alone with all my illusions
awards
1,306 posts
part of
TAG WITH @sam
samuel carter
matias vs. sam [H✩T]
POSTED ON Jun 25, 2021 14:03:35 GMT
samuel carter Avatar
[attr="class","sambam"]
[attr="class","pokesprite pokemon gastly"]

"Your eager companion says otherwise."

The words are spoken as Sam gives a small smirk. Seeing a pokémon so motivated to fight always got Sam a bit more enthusiastic about the battle.

But these battles were just that, for fun. Something to kill time, or to create bonds. Nothing 'world saving,' and that made it all the more relaxing.

Seeing that swords dance being prepared had gastly twisting and turning in circles before hovering toward the bug, only close enough to exert quite a bit of ghostly energy. The black nearly transparent pulses were the only indication that the gastly's curse had been executed.

"Prepare yourself, gastly. It'll hit hard."

Gastly did just that, after it's curse. Preparing itself for whatever the scyther had in store. Gastly, like Sam, understood that most pokémon like scyther relied on moves that built upon the duration of battle. But with a curse in effect, they were hoping to cut the stamina for such moves in half.

But curse took such a toll, it was quite the gamble.
[newclass=.sambam] [/newclass][newclass=.sambam b] color: #d49736; [/newclass][newclass=.sambam i] color: #d49736; [/newclass][newclass=.sambam u] text-decoration: none;border-bottom: solid 1px #d49736; [/newclass][newclass=.sambam a] text-transform:uppercase!important;font:800 15px Poppins!important; [/newclass]
close tab

played by

noodles

matias
he/him
thirty-two
november 14th
saffron
straight...unless?
elite four
champion
a life
to live for.
1321 height
1321 height
awards
8,118 posts
MATIAS SILPH DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @matias
MATIAS SILPH
matias vs. sam [H✩T]
POSTED ON Jun 26, 2021 13:04:59 GMT
MATIAS SILPH Avatar
[attr="class","matias"]CURSE puts them on a timer.

so they'll have to be quick.

"close in."

scyther blurs in an AGILITY as it rushes forward.

[attr="class","noodles"]
[newclass=.matias] text-align: justify; font-size: 12px; } .matias b { color: #d5ad40; font-size: 13px; } .matias u { color: #b5b5b5; font-style: italic; text-decoration: underline dotted #d5ad40; font-size: 13px; } .matias a { font-family: inherit; font-size: medium; font-weight: bold; text-transform: uppercase; } .matias .noodles { margin: 0; padding: 5px 0; } .matias .noodles img { max-width: 100%; max-height: 100%; border: none; outline: none; margin: 0; padding: 0; display: inline; float: none; } .matias .noodles .pkmn { display: inline; } .matias .noodles .inactive { filter: grayscale(1); -webkit-filter: grayscale(1); [/newclass]
close tab

played by

wizz

the ferryman
he/him
twenty-eight
october fourteenth
lavender town, kanto
knoxsexual
team rocket
executive
awards
1,306 posts
part of
TAG WITH @sam
samuel carter
matias vs. sam [H✩T]
POSTED ON Jun 30, 2021 15:57:14 GMT
samuel carter Avatar
[attr="class","sambam"]
[attr="class","pokesprite pokemon gastly"][attr="class","pokesprite pokemon absol"][attr="class","pokesprite pokemon gardevoir"]

Seeing the quick movement of the scyther allows for Sam's body to tense.

"Stop its movements."

Or so gastly at least attempt to do so, casting a hypnosis toward the green flying bladed bug of death.

gastly uses hypnosis
bIoQ28jf
1-60 hits
[newclass=.sambam] [/newclass][newclass=.sambam b] color: #d49736; [/newclass][newclass=.sambam i] color: #d49736; [/newclass][newclass=.sambam u] text-decoration: none;border-bottom: solid 1px #d49736; [/newclass][newclass=.sambam a] text-transform:uppercase!important;font:800 15px Poppins!important; [/newclass]
close tab

played by

noodles

matias
he/him
thirty-two
november 14th
saffron
straight...unless?
elite four
champion
a life
to live for.
1321 height
1321 height
awards
8,118 posts
MATIAS SILPH DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @matias
MATIAS SILPH
matias vs. sam [H✩T]
POSTED ON Jul 1, 2021 12:47:40 GMT
MATIAS SILPH Avatar
[attr="class","matias"]"dodge."

but the scyther's inexperience shows. it makes the mistake of locking eyes with the gastly; its eyes grow heavy with each blink, soon succumbing to the HYPNOSIS.

"well, this ain't fun."

[attr="class","noodles"]
close tab

played by

wizz

the ferryman
he/him
twenty-eight
october fourteenth
lavender town, kanto
knoxsexual
team rocket
executive
awards
1,306 posts
part of
TAG WITH @sam
samuel carter
matias vs. sam [H✩T]
POSTED ON Jul 1, 2021 13:58:36 GMT
samuel carter Avatar
[attr="class","sambam"]
[attr="class","pokesprite pokemon gastly"]

Seeing the scyther fall asleep had Sam cracking his knuckles. Gastly was hovering over toward the plummeting scyther, following the velocity of the fall.

Psychic energy began to form around the scyther, specifically its head, as gastly slowly began a dream eater to follow up its hypnosis.

And mixed with the curse? Boy did that feel good. Something like euphoria moved over the gastly's gascious form, and then a haunting chuckle left him. Because the pain that came with his previous curse was gone, almost like a clean slate with a nearly beaten scyther before him.

But while gastly looked confident, Sam was skeptical. Often his gastly's downfall was assuming he'd be winning with a tactic nearly every gastly ever used.

Sam, however, could see this trainer was some kind of veteran. What would he pull next?

gastly used dream eater
close tab

played by

noodles

matias
he/him
thirty-two
november 14th
saffron
straight...unless?
elite four
champion
a life
to live for.
1321 height
1321 height
awards
8,118 posts
MATIAS SILPH DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @matias
MATIAS SILPH
matias vs. sam [H✩T]
POSTED ON Jul 3, 2021 16:44:44 GMT
MATIAS SILPH Avatar
[attr="class","matias"]there's no hidden trick up his sleeves; all he does is simply wait and hope the pain from the DREAM EATER is enough to stir the scyther awake.

surprisingly, it is.

wings fluttering back to life, scyther catches itself just mere inches off the ground, redirecting before shooting right back up towards the gastly.

a claw swipes forward, delivering a confusingly-named WING ATTACK.

[attr="class","noodles"]
close tab

played by

wizz

the ferryman
he/him
twenty-eight
october fourteenth
lavender town, kanto
knoxsexual
team rocket
executive
awards
1,306 posts
part of
TAG WITH @sam
samuel carter
matias vs. sam [H✩T]
POSTED ON Jul 4, 2021 19:17:36 GMT
samuel carter Avatar
[attr="class","sambam"]
That scyther was determined. Sam followed it's movements carefully.

"Prepare a shadow ball! Don't fire until I say so."

Watching the fight from an angle below was different. It had the timing a little wonky, but he didn't want the scyther's speed to cause the gastly to miss. Which meant the second it let loose that wing attack with it's bladed appendage, Sam saw an opportunity.

"Now!"

As if burped up out of the pit that was the gastly's mouth, a SHADOW BALL went flying out of his mouth and staright at the scyther who'd just knocked him good with that wing attack.

Hopefully that paired with the curse that was still in effect would push the scyther to falling asleep.

But gastlies are squishy boys and Sam knew one more hit would have him down.

GASTLY used SHADOW BALL
close tab

played by

noodles

matias
he/him
thirty-two
november 14th
saffron
straight...unless?
elite four
champion
a life
to live for.
1321 height
1321 height
awards
8,118 posts
MATIAS SILPH DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @matias
MATIAS SILPH
matias vs. sam [H✩T]
POSTED ON Jul 5, 2021 9:51:08 GMT
MATIAS SILPH Avatar
[attr="class","matias"]perhaps it's the prior AGILITY that saves scyther. it dips in the air just in time to avoid the full impact of the SHADOW BALL; it clips its wings instead, damaging as it struggles to stay in the air.

"again!"

curving through the air, scyther comes back around with another WING ATTACK, throwing its already-damaged wings right into the gastly.

[attr="class","noodles"]
close tab

played by

wizz

the ferryman
he/him
twenty-eight
october fourteenth
lavender town, kanto
knoxsexual
team rocket
executive
awards
1,306 posts
part of
TAG WITH @sam
samuel carter
matias vs. sam [H✩T]
POSTED ON Jul 5, 2021 12:33:29 GMT
samuel carter Avatar
That was it, Sam could feel it. The defeat wasn't bittersweet, either. He gave a small smile as he watched his gastly beginning to dissipate, a defense that allowed for the gastly to faint and be left alone while he recovered.

Returning the gaseous fiend, Sam looked to Matias and smiled. Smiled, because he'd done well, and with a gastly no less. Not a single stage barbarian of a pokémon like scyther, which he was definitely admiring.

Like a true sportsman and gentleman, Sam walked over and held his hand out for Matias to take.

"That was a great battle. Congratulations on your victory."

GASTLY has fainted!
SAM lost the battle!
close tab

played by

noodles

matias
he/him
thirty-two
november 14th
saffron
straight...unless?
elite four
champion
a life
to live for.
1321 height
1321 height
awards
8,118 posts
MATIAS SILPH DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @matias
MATIAS SILPH
matias vs. sam [H✩T]
POSTED ON Jul 6, 2021 11:23:23 GMT
MATIAS SILPH Avatar
[attr="class","matias"]returning the sentiment, matias extends a hand out, accepting sam's offered handshake.

"it was. i didn't think we'd make it."

it was definitely a close one to call.

scyther faints in the background, succumbing to the CURSE. it's recalled before it hits the ground.

"sam carter, right?"

[attr="class","noodles"]
close tab

played by

wizz

the ferryman
he/him
twenty-eight
october fourteenth
lavender town, kanto
knoxsexual
team rocket
executive
awards
1,306 posts
part of
TAG WITH @sam
samuel carter
matias vs. sam [H✩T]
POSTED ON Jul 6, 2021 12:31:55 GMT
samuel carter Avatar
The fact that he literally could have won if gastly had been able to survive one more wing attack made Sam's brows knit together a bit in mild annoyance.

I gotta get him more stamina. Maybe evolve him? Who knew.

"Yes," Sam arched an eyebrow. This would be the first time in the duration of the tournament that somebody actually recognized him. To say he was shocked was an understatement. "The HNN article give me away?"

His tattoos were a bit...unique.
close tab

played by

noodles

matias
he/him
thirty-two
november 14th
saffron
straight...unless?
elite four
champion
a life
to live for.
1321 height
1321 height
awards
8,118 posts
MATIAS SILPH DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @matias
MATIAS SILPH
matias vs. sam [H✩T]
POSTED ON Jul 6, 2021 13:11:07 GMT
MATIAS SILPH Avatar
[attr="class","matias"]"yeah."

matias pauses to consider.

after a beat, he continues:

"we also met in kanto once."

[attr="class","noodles"]
close tab

played by

wizz

the ferryman
he/him
twenty-eight
october fourteenth
lavender town, kanto
knoxsexual
team rocket
executive
awards
1,306 posts
part of
TAG WITH @sam
samuel carter
matias vs. sam [H✩T]
POSTED ON Jul 6, 2021 13:15:39 GMT
samuel carter Avatar
The ever cliche, comical blank anime stare swept over Sam's features.

"We...did?"

Usually he remembered things like that. How had he forgotten?