1,306 posts
part of
TAG WITH @sam
samuel carter
gavin & sam vs. npcs! [H✩T]
POSTED ON Jun 2, 2021 23:10:05 GMT
samuel carter Avatar
"Battle royals... who ever thought this was a good idea??"

The comment was mumbled under his breath, eyes searching the area and contemplating. The set up itself wasn't too terribly dull. Almost inviting. But getting familiar with this, and with rotation battles? Yeah, that seemed ridiculous.

"To each their own, I guess."

There was a small crowd gathered, placing their small bets or remarking on the pokémon being used. Sam ignored them and instead took on the competition around him.

Once he was back to his corner he observed the challenge; expression as stoic as ever. His larvitar was feisty, already kicking up a bit of a fuss. He could tell by how she was huffing that she was raring to go, the one of his team who loved battle the most. He'd picked her in hopes that her enthusiasm rubbed off on him.

So far, he did smirk, a bit proud in her excitement, and concentrated on the foes at hand. Somebody with a shedninja, someone else with their luxio, and...
♀ guts / sandstorm, stone edge, earthquake, crunch, stomping tantrum, rockslide
close tab

played by

thorn

Gavin Merlino
he/him
october 28th
circhester, galar
demisexual
the harbinger
underboss
No cost too great. No mind to think. No will to break.
awards
8,120 posts
part of
TAG WITH @gavin
Cillian Quinn
POSTED ON Jun 3, 2021 14:28:42 GMT
Cillian Quinn Avatar
"Same person who finds rotation battles fun."

Gavin steps up to the final corner of the makeshift arena, turning his gaze to and offering an amused smirk of his own.

His Pokemon isn't immediately apparent until the announcer makes the call for the battle to start — only then does the ground in his corner of the arena shift, a Stunfisk erupting from the sand. A Galarian variant, with sunlight catching on its steel jaws.

As soon as the battle starts, it sets up a volatile ELECTRIC TERRAIN.

The Luxio takes advantage, CHARGING for its next attack.
close tab

played by

wizz

the ferryman
he/him
twenty-eight
october fourteenth
lavender town, kanto
knoxsexual
team rocket
executive
alone with all my illusions
awards
1,306 posts
part of
TAG WITH @sam
samuel carter
POSTED ON Jun 3, 2021 15:25:02 GMT
samuel carter Avatar
Sam frowned at the mention of rotation battles. He'd seen the roster for his, and he was going up against . He wasn't usually one to complain about a set up, but seriously?

He watched the field grow static with electricity. That stunfisk was going to knock heads. Luckily, Sam's larvitar wouldn't be affected by any of the electric moves on the field and she seemed relatively unphased by the terrain used. Because of that, she took her time, making her way toward the shedninja to close her mouth on a part of it's hollow husk, crunching down on it to tear it down, or apart-- whichever.

It was super effective and would break through that annoying ability shedninja had with relative ease.
close tab

played by

thorn

Gavin Merlino
he/him
october 28th
circhester, galar
demisexual
the harbinger
underboss
awards
8,120 posts
part of
TAG WITH @gavin
Cillian Quinn
POSTED ON Jun 3, 2021 15:41:40 GMT
Cillian Quinn Avatar
With a single crunch of the Larvitar's jaws, they're down an opponent.

Nice.

Luxio lunges toward his Stunfisk, FANGS glittering with ICE, but the Stunfisk snaps up to SUCKER PUNCH the lion in its jaw before the attack can land. Growling, it skids back and shakes out its mane.

There's a horrific shriek of steel as the trap-like jaws of Stunfisk reset themselves.
close tab

played by

wizz

the ferryman
he/him
twenty-eight
october fourteenth
lavender town, kanto
knoxsexual
team rocket
executive
awards
1,306 posts
part of
TAG WITH @sam
samuel carter
POSTED ON Jun 3, 2021 18:35:52 GMT
samuel carter Avatar
What Sam appreciated the most about the two remaining pokémon was that they had a certain weakness which he could utilize well. So long as that stunfisk was focused on the luxio, it would hopefully work. Because stunfisk had plenty of ground moves that would render his larvitar fainted.

"Get mad."

Almost immediately, the small green rock encased larva gave a mighty yell, then her feet started to glow as she pitched a royal fit with her stomping tantrum, attempting to hit both of the pokémon with the same move.

close tab

played by

thorn

Gavin Merlino
he/him
october 28th
circhester, galar
demisexual
the harbinger
underboss
awards
8,120 posts
part of
TAG WITH @gavin
Cillian Quinn
POSTED ON Jun 10, 2021 21:26:22 GMT
Cillian Quinn Avatar
Shit.

Gavin gives a quick click of his tongue as the Larvitar begins to stomp. Perhaps surprising for such a creature, Stunfisk suddenly BOUNCES into the air to avoid the shaking earth.

Luxio, on the other hand, is less fortunate.

It stumbles, snarling in pain, then rounds on Larvitar as its previous prey leaps skyward. ICY FANGS seek purchase in the other Pokemon's rough hide.
close tab

played by

wizz

the ferryman
he/him
twenty-eight
october fourteenth
lavender town, kanto
knoxsexual
team rocket
executive
awards
1,306 posts
part of
TAG WITH @sam
samuel carter
POSTED ON Jun 13, 2021 21:05:19 GMT
samuel carter Avatar
The fangs were so cold that the larvitar found herself frozen on the spot.

Sam let out a sigh, then slowly frowned. Seeing his larvitar frozen in place had him with a decision. He could either withdraw his larvitar and save her from her status by using an ice heal, or he could let her remain frozen and hope that she would thaw out quickly enough.

He highly doubted that it would be anytime soon with the temperature the way it was. With that, he raised a hand and pressed a button to signal he surrendered, withdrawing his larvitar from the battle. His eyes moved to the stunfisk, then to the blonde who commanded it.

Why? Studying. He seemed very talented as a trainer.

notes

larvitar was frozen
sam withdrew larvitar
sam lost the battle royal
close tab

played by

thorn

Gavin Merlino
he/him
october 28th
circhester, galar
demisexual
the harbinger
underboss
awards
8,120 posts
part of
TAG WITH @gavin
Cillian Quinn
POSTED ON Jun 18, 2021 6:26:44 GMT
Cillian Quinn Avatar
Gavin watches, impassive, as ice crusts over Larvitar's hide. They wouldn't be getting any further assistance from that side of the field — shame. His gaze redirects to his airborne Pokemon as it descends from its BOUNCE.

Paralysis fails to find purchase against an electric-type, and the Luxio rounds on Stunfisk with a WILD CHARGE.

Gavin clicks his tongue, and Stunfisk exacts brutal REVENGE.

As Luxio falls, Gavin turns his attention to .

"Your Pokemon might've thawed out in time. Why recall it?"

close tab

played by

wizz

the ferryman
he/him
twenty-eight
october fourteenth
lavender town, kanto
knoxsexual
team rocket
executive
awards
1,306 posts
part of
TAG WITH @sam
samuel carter
POSTED ON Jun 18, 2021 14:12:47 GMT
samuel carter Avatar
While Gavin continued the battle royal, clearly winning the match, Sam pulled his larvitar out and gave her an ice heal to mend her wounds, giving her a bit of petting where she appreciated it before recalling her.

About then, the match had concluded, and he was correct in his assumption that the blond had won.

"I'm not one to make my pokémon suffer pointlessly. This battle wasn't a life or death situation. My pride can take the loss more than it can take the weight of knowing she suffered longer than she absolutely needed to."

When it came to people, Sam wasn't the best socially. But when it came to his pokémon, he was annoyingly kind. Quite the softie.

He held out his hand and gave the blond a look of recognition-- mostly just recognizing his talent and the fact that he'd won.

"Congratulations on your win."
close tab

played by

thorn

Gavin Merlino
he/him
october 28th
circhester, galar
demisexual
the harbinger
underboss
awards
8,120 posts
part of
TAG WITH @gavin
Cillian Quinn
POSTED ON Jun 19, 2021 3:31:54 GMT
Cillian Quinn Avatar
"Why battle at all, then?"

He takes Sam's hand and gives it a firm shake, business-like.

Stunfisk burrows back into the sand in the wake of its victory, and Gavin's attention shifts briefly to the Pokemon before he decides to allow it out of its capsule a while longer. It didn't get out much.

He looks back to Sam.

"Thank you."
close tab

played by

wizz

the ferryman
he/him
twenty-eight
october fourteenth
lavender town, kanto
knoxsexual
team rocket
executive
awards
1,306 posts
part of
TAG WITH @sam
samuel carter
POSTED ON Jun 20, 2021 17:06:53 GMT
samuel carter Avatar
"Of course."

Sam dismisses the gratitude given out of courtesy to the congratulations he'd given to provoke it. Instead, he focuses on the notion of 'why battle at all.'

"It's the best method of figuring out the chemistry between trainer and pokémon. I've not had my larvitar for terribly long, and I've wanted to develop more of a bond with her. But allowing her to faint causes her to distrust me. So I try to avoid it."

For Sam, winning wasn't what battling was about. It was about learning who he was, who his pokémon were, and where they all stood with one another.

ooc

sorry this is delayed, i didn't see the reply!!
close tab

played by

thorn

Gavin Merlino
he/him
october 28th
circhester, galar
demisexual
the harbinger
underboss
awards
8,120 posts
part of
TAG WITH @gavin
Cillian Quinn
POSTED ON Jun 24, 2021 6:38:06 GMT
Cillian Quinn Avatar
"Couldn't you do contests or something for that?"

They weren't really Gavin's thing; he'd dabbled on occasion and even managed to eke out a win with his Alolan Ninetales once, but it lacked the visceral nature of battling that got his blood pumping.

Of course, he also wasn't so concerned about his Pokemon fainting.

"Most Tyranitar love a good fight. Might be worth it to let her see it through, let her prove herself." He shrugs. "Maybe not, though."

close tab

played by

wizz

the ferryman
he/him
twenty-eight
october fourteenth
lavender town, kanto
knoxsexual
team rocket
executive
awards
1,306 posts
part of
TAG WITH @sam
samuel carter
POSTED ON Jun 25, 2021 14:08:20 GMT
samuel carter Avatar
[attr="class","sambam"]

"That's my plan."

To let larvitar see through until becoming a tyranitar. To push through, to allow the bonds to form and allow the pokémon and himself to grow.

"In the end, regardless of bonds, they're just pokémon. They're used to produce food, entertainment, and companionship. Whichever happens to be needed."

Which was rather self righteous of the human race but who was Sam to complain about that?
[newclass=.sambam] [/newclass][newclass=.sambam b] color: #d49736; [/newclass][newclass=.sambam i] color: #d49736; [/newclass][newclass=.sambam u] text-decoration: none;border-bottom: solid 1px #d49736; [/newclass][newclass=.sambam a] text-transform:uppercase!important;font:800 15px Poppins!important; [/newclass]
close tab

played by

thorn

Gavin Merlino
he/him
october 28th
circhester, galar
demisexual
the harbinger
underboss
awards
8,120 posts
part of
TAG WITH @gavin
Cillian Quinn
POSTED ON Jun 26, 2021 2:13:46 GMT
Cillian Quinn Avatar
Just Pokemon.

A simple statement, yet one that brushes up against years of conditioning in his thoughts. Tools, nothing more. All Pokemon exist for the glory of Team Rocket. The thought ebbs as soon as it had appeared, but discomfort lingers.

"Well, I wish you luck with her training, then."

Empty platitudes; he hates small talk, but goes through the motions.

It's only then he realises he hadn't gotten a name.

"Liam King," he introduces himself. "You are...?"

close tab

played by

wizz

the ferryman
he/him
twenty-eight
october fourteenth
lavender town, kanto
knoxsexual
team rocket
executive
awards
1,306 posts
part of
TAG WITH @sam
samuel carter
POSTED ON Jun 30, 2021 15:54:55 GMT
samuel carter Avatar
[attr="class","sambam"]

"Sam Cater," he introduces himself quickly enough. Had he not done so before? "I'm the new caretaker for Mt. Pyre."

The title slips off his lips easily. He's not much of one for making a big deal out of what he does. Sure, he's proud of his work. But he doesn't linger. To show as much, he gives the blonde a polite smile.

"You strike me as more than your average trainer."

The statement is Sam's way of asking what Liam does for a living, without rudely demanding the information. Simply; if Liam wanted to share, he could. If he decided to deflect instead, Sam would know not to pry.
[newclass=.sambam] [/newclass][newclass=.sambam b] color: #d49736; [/newclass][newclass=.sambam i] color: #d49736; [/newclass][newclass=.sambam u] text-decoration: none;border-bottom: solid 1px #d49736; [/newclass][newclass=.sambam a] text-transform:uppercase!important;font:800 15px Poppins!important; [/newclass]
img
The Shula Region
Hogwarts AU
RPG Unlimited
MR
Marvel
The Enroi Region
N:FB
Vyrehaven
Celestial Guardians, AU Sailor Moon RP
Emerius, An Animanga Dragon Age Roleplay
">