Lloyd Kvar
he/him
October 24
Married
Scientist
Ex-Head Scientist
203 height
203 height
i used to dream in the dark of palisades park.
awards
569 posts
part of
TAG WITH @pryde
Raphael Pryde
Pryde vs Gavin
POSTED ON Jun 10, 2021 10:36:07 GMT
Raphael Pryde Avatar
[nospaces]
[attr="class","prydeboxbl"]

Pryde is going to just blink at the other as he was registering his name for the H✩T Event. Well his alias of Lloyd Kvar, for the event as he could certainly use the practice after so long. [break][break]

“So you’re really trying to convince me that the power of ‘friendship’ of tools, can be useful,” he is giving the underboss a ‘you’re full of shit’ type of look. No this wasn’t the actual wording from the other, but in his eyes it might as well have been.

[break][break]

+ // HT
[break]+

[attr="class","pokeclass"]

[attr="class","credit"]milky

[newclass=.prydeboxbl]font:11px roboto;--accent:#a63d6a;[/newclass]

[newclass=.prydeboxbl b]color:var(--accent);[/newclass]
[newclass=.prydeboxbl i]color:#fff;[/newclass]
[newclass=.prydeboxbl a]text-transform:uppercase; font-weight:bold; color:#db4253;[/newclass]
[newclass=.prydeboxbl .pokesprite]color:#7f1f59; background:rgba(0,0,0,0.1);border:1px solid rgba(0,0,0,0.2); margin-right:10px; margin-top:5px; padding:5px; filter:grayscale(90%); transition:0.5s all;[/newclass]
[newclass=.prydeboxbl .pkspr:hover]background:rgba(0,0,0,0.2); filter:none; transition:0.5s all;[/newclass]
[newclass=.prydeboxbl .pokeclass]text-align:right; width:520px; [/newclass]
[newclass=.prydeboxbl .pokeclass img]background:#2b2b2b;border-radius:100px; border:1px solid #solid 1px #232323; border:1px solid #232323; margin-top:-30px; padding-top:6px; padding-bottom:12px; transition:1.5s; margin-left:8px; box-shadow:2px 2px transparent;[/newclass]
[newclass=.prydeboxbl .pokeclass img:hover]background:var(--accent); transition:1s all; box-shadow:2px 2px #232323 [/newclass]
[newclass=.prydeboxbl]position:relative;[/newclass]
[newclass=.prydeboxbl .credit]font:bold 15px poppins; transform:rotate(90deg); position:absolute; bottom:55px; right:45px; color:rgb(65,65,65); text-shadow: -1px -1px 0 #232323, 1px -1px 0 #232323, -1px 1px 0 #232323, 1px 1px 0 #232323;[/newclass]
close tab

played by

thorn

Gavin Merlino
he/him
october 28th
circhester, galar
demisexual
the harbinger
underboss
creatures of habit, carrion flowers, growing from repeated crimes.
awards
7,901 posts
part of
TAG WITH @gavin
Cillian Quinn
Pryde vs Gavin
POSTED ON Jun 10, 2021 17:16:41 GMT
Cillian Quinn Avatar
"Not the words I used."

Gavin's smirking where the other is derisive, an easy confidence to him as he signs his name for their match.

"If you keep your blade sharp, it'll kill quicker. Treat a tool right, it'll last longer." A capsule rolls in the palm of his hand. "Treat your Pokemon well, they'll return the favour."

He'd once held the same mindset as pride: tools, nothing more.

Lugia had changed him.

"You see, I'd have used Lucario for this fight; they only find the strength to evolve through a close bond with their trainer, did you know?" Pryde would know, at least, that a Lucario had been Gavin's only Pokemon when he'd joined Rocket. Crobat had come later, and it too had required such a bond to evolve. "Unfortunately, my Lucario died protecting me, and the one I've got now isn't nearly as loyal. Well-trained, but it was already evolved when I received it."

Instead, he tosses the pokeball to reveal a Luxray, sparks dancing around the INTIMIDATING beast.

"I've been training this one for some time now. We'll prove our point."

He grins, sparking challenge.
close tab

played by

King

Lloyd Kvar
he/him
October 24
Married
Scientist
Ex-Head Scientist
203 height
203 height
awards
569 posts
part of
TAG WITH @pryde
Raphael Pryde
Pryde vs Gavin
POSTED ON Jun 10, 2021 18:02:09 GMT
Raphael Pryde Avatar
[nospaces]

”No, but you might as well have” there is humor there as he says it, but there is clear clarity that the old man’s mind was very closed off to the idea. He held two pokemon, and two pokemon only in high regard the Nidoking his wife gave him when they started dating, and the now Pyroar he had for a gift for them both when he proposed. Otherwise they all meant nothing. [break][break]

”And when a tool breaks you simply replace it, like we did with the subjects back in the labs” Pryde adds to the metaphors but he’ll just listen to the underboss for now. Gavin’s position, rather than shared passed, being the only thing letting him humor the idea of ‘bonding’ with his pokemon. [break][break]

”I’m aware how some close bonds evolve pokemon, I’ve never done it personally as I can’t make that connection,” Would the other know of his avoidance of pokemon of such nature? ”Unfortunate,” is all he can muster to spare about the fallen Lucario. His understanding of pokemon bond still limited to the two he owned, but he could imagine small grief at the passing of symbols of his relationship. [break][break]

He does perk up at the challenge though, ”Why not, though I warn you know Mr. King,” he us sure to use the alias, ”We a tad rusty” with that he’d call on his Pyroar to counter the thunder cat. Falling for it’s intimidation, but she wouldn’t go down easily.

[break][break]

+ // HT
[break]+

[newclass=.prydeboxbl a]text-transform:uppercase; font-weight:bold; color:#db4253;[/newclass]
[newclass=.prydeboxbl .pokesprite]color:#7f1f59; background:rgba(0,0,0,0.1);border:1px solid rgba(0,0,0,0.2); margin-right:10px; margin-top:5px; padding:5px; filter:grayscale(90%); transition:0.5s all;[/newclass]
[newclass=.prydeboxbl .pkspr:hover]background:rgba(0,0,0,0.2); filter:none; transition:0.5s all;[/newclass]
[newclass=.prydeboxbl .pokeclass img]background:#2b2b2b;border-radius:100px; border:1px solid #solid 1px #232323; border:1px solid #232323; margin-top:-30px; padding-top:6px; padding-bottom:12px; transition:1.5s; margin-left:8px; box-shadow:2px 2px transparent;[/newclass]
[newclass=.prydeboxbl .pokeclass img:hover]background:var(--accent); transition:1s all; box-shadow:2px 2px #232323 [/newclass]
[newclass=.prydeboxbl .credit]font:bold 15px poppins; transform:rotate(90deg); position:absolute; bottom:55px; right:45px; color:rgb(65,65,65); text-shadow: -1px -1px 0 #232323, 1px -1px 0 #232323, -1px 1px 0 #232323, 1px 1px 0 #232323;[/newclass]
close tab

played by

thorn

Gavin Merlino
he/him
october 28th
circhester, galar
demisexual
the harbinger
underboss
awards
7,901 posts
part of
TAG WITH @gavin
Cillian Quinn
Pryde vs Gavin
POSTED ON Jun 10, 2021 21:18:37 GMT
Cillian Quinn Avatar
"Not all tools are created equal."

Had Pryde not heard what he'd said about Lucario? Yet Gavin is patient, for it had taken him time, too.

"Some tools are irreplaceable."

He can't use Lugia's name, not here where there are spectators who might by chance overhear, but he alludes to the shadowed legend with his cryptic words. He does not earn its ire, for it understands his use of metaphor. He did not see Lugia as his, nor Rocket's, nor a tool to be used at their leisure.

"Can't, or haven't tried hard enough?"

A Pyroar is sent out, and Gavin's lip twitches as he recognizes one of Pryde's signature Pokemon.

Gavin runs a hand through Luxray's fluffy mane, scratches it behind the ears. Whistles, and then clicks his tongue.

A sharp surge of electricity ripples across the field, an ELECTRIC TERRAIN that raises the hair along his arms.

close tab

played by

King

Lloyd Kvar
he/him
October 24
Married
Scientist
Ex-Head Scientist
203 height
203 height
awards
569 posts
part of
TAG WITH @pryde
Raphael Pryde
Pryde vs Gavin
POSTED ON Jun 11, 2021 20:52:35 GMT
Raphael Pryde Avatar
[nospaces]

”Nothing that Iron, Zinc, and Protien couldn’t cover, but you also remember our old test,” they’ve been able to modify several pokemon to be able to reach their full potential in days rather than what would normally take months to years of training. He does sigh in some defeat though about the ‘irreplaceable’ comment. Getting the picture loud and clear as the name didn’t need to be said. Though if Rocket had been able to get these legends in the first place why not more? He’ll keep his mouth shut about it though as he knows better. [break][break]

His eyes narrow slightly at the challenge, followed by a chuckle, “You know I know what you’re doing, but damn it if I’m not interested in a challenge every now and then,” he takes his place on his side of the battle field as the Luxray brings up an Electric Field. He gives a whistle of his own and the Pyroar sends up a FLAMETHROWER to start things off for their side.

[break][break]

+ // HT
[break]+ Pyroar uses FLAMETHROWER

close tab

played by

thorn

Gavin Merlino
he/him
october 28th
circhester, galar
demisexual
the harbinger
underboss
awards
7,901 posts
part of
TAG WITH @gavin
Cillian Quinn
Pryde vs Gavin
POSTED ON Jun 13, 2021 12:59:24 GMT
Cillian Quinn Avatar
"Steroids can't account for the time it takes to train them."

It was one thing to have a strong Pokemon, and quite another for that Pokemon to understand its worth in battle or its position within a cohesive team. Gavin longed often for his partners from Kanto, not only for their companionship but for how effortlessly they'd worked together.

Pryde calls him out on his tactics, and Gavin's canines flash.

"Thought you might be. Can't have you getting rusty."

He clicks his tongue twice as fire bathes the field; rather than attempting to get clear, Luxray stands its ground as flames singe its mane. Electricity ripples through an already charged field, and a THUNDER WAVE targets the Pyroar.
close tab

played by

King

Lloyd Kvar
he/him
October 24
Married
Scientist
Ex-Head Scientist
203 height
203 height
awards
569 posts
part of
TAG WITH @pryde
Raphael Pryde
Pryde vs Gavin
POSTED ON Jun 15, 2021 10:36:38 GMT
Raphael Pryde Avatar
[nospaces]

No, that's what the experimentation was for, though it wasn't like his old labs were available to him anyways. He was sure the labs here had other things to focus on. Just like he needed to focus on the battle. "I think its a tad late from preventing the rust," he shrugs, "Between injuries and school," because what better comparison was there to Prison. Couldn't speak openly in front of any lookie loos after all. "I'm quite out of practice" [break][break]

Pyroar takes the hit becoming paralyzed meaning her movements would be limited. Though she didn't need to move much to react to a quick whistle as Pyroar created balls of flame to launch at the Luxray to INCINERATE them.

[break][break]

+ // HT
[break]+ Pyroar is Paralyzed
[break]+ Pyroar uses INCINERATE

close tab

played by

thorn

Gavin Merlino
he/him
october 28th
circhester, galar
demisexual
the harbinger
underboss
awards
7,901 posts
part of
TAG WITH @gavin
Cillian Quinn
Pryde vs Gavin
POSTED ON Jun 18, 2021 6:33:32 GMT
Cillian Quinn Avatar
School.

There's a twitch to Gavin's lips as he picks up on the allusion.

"Then this is an excellent opportunity to shake it off."

Sunglasses hide the pleased glimmer in the amber of his eyes when Luxray lands its paralysis; a click from Gavin sees it CHARGE WILDLY through flames that lick at its fur in order to slam into the other feline.

Inflict or sustain paralysis - complete!
close tab

played by

King

Lloyd Kvar
he/him
October 24
Married
Scientist
Ex-Head Scientist
203 height
203 height
awards
569 posts
part of
TAG WITH @pryde
Raphael Pryde
Pryde vs Gavin
POSTED ON Jun 20, 2021 6:11:28 GMT
Raphael Pryde Avatar
[nospaces]

"Considering how wild I've heard Hoenn can be?" he chuckles it was indeed a good time. Get the practice in while maybe get a little better with his skills. He was never horrible as he was often a training partner for his wife. And even now and then his boys, but the labs were his specialty. [break][break]

Pyroar has to fight to move, and while its not much it is able to avoid a direct hit though the sparks from the wild charge still hurt, despite it she tries to CRUNCH down on the other's neck as they came close.

[break][break]

+ // HT
[break]+ Pyroar fights the paralysis.
[break]+ Pyroar narrowly avoids WILD CHARGE
[break]+ Pyroar uses CRUNCH

close tab

played by

thorn

Gavin Merlino
he/him
october 28th
circhester, galar
demisexual
the harbinger
underboss
awards
7,901 posts
part of
TAG WITH @gavin
Cillian Quinn
Pryde vs Gavin
POSTED ON Jun 24, 2021 9:30:28 GMT
Cillian Quinn Avatar
"Yes, I've heard stories about Hoenn."

There's a wry smirk upon his lips. He'd lived many of those stories as Gavin Merlino, but Liam King was from across the pond in Galar and couldn't claim to have participated in the Three-Day War or the contest in Littleroot.

"Aliens, Avatars, Team Rocket, it's a wonder there's anyone left."

His canines flash at the mention of Rocket.

He clicks his tongue, and Luxray latches onto the Pyroar as it crunches down and BITES it in return, snarling all the while.
close tab

played by

King

Lloyd Kvar
he/him
October 24
Married
Scientist
Ex-Head Scientist
203 height
203 height
awards
569 posts
part of
TAG WITH @pryde
Raphael Pryde
Pryde vs Gavin
POSTED ON Jun 29, 2021 5:17:11 GMT
Raphael Pryde Avatar
[nospaces]

"Those that leave are weak then, all of these things seem like they make Hoenn an interesting place," he muses in response as he watches the battle. Thanks to her paralysis moving proved too difficult to get out of reach for the BITE that caused his Pyroar to FLINTCH. [break][break]

So he doesn't bother with another command, its clear even if she wanted she couldn't even strike back.

[break][break]

+ // HT
[break]+ Pyroar is hit by Bite
[break]+ Pyroar flinches

close tab

played by

thorn

Gavin Merlino
he/him
october 28th
circhester, galar
demisexual
the harbinger
underboss
awards
7,901 posts
part of
TAG WITH @gavin
Cillian Quinn
Pryde vs Gavin
POSTED ON Jul 1, 2021 14:23:17 GMT
Cillian Quinn Avatar
"Mm, certainly more interesting than Galar. Maybe I'll stick around a while."

There's mischief in his tone, in the eyes that glimmer behind his sunglasses. He's already started the process of establishing Liam King as a more permanent alias, now that he's lost the shield of Cavalli and had his Rocket alias outed as well.

His lips curve into a pleased smirk as the Pyroar flinches.

With its opponent staggered, the Luxray goes in for another WILD CHARGE.

Inflict or sustain a flinch - complete!
close tab

played by

King

Lloyd Kvar
he/him
October 24
Married
Scientist
Ex-Head Scientist
203 height
203 height
awards
569 posts
part of
TAG WITH @pryde
Raphael Pryde
Pryde vs Gavin
POSTED ON Jul 4, 2021 11:11:49 GMT
Raphael Pryde Avatar
[nospaces]

"Considering it feels like something fun happens on the monthly give it time, something is sure to happen," he chuckles as he plays along with the banter. For now all he could do is watch as the WILD CHARGE came at his pokemon. With her paralyzed and with the damage taken thus far. It was no wonder when she was hit the lioness was knocked out cold losing their first battle. [break][break]

Pryde just chuckles as he returns Pyroar to her pokeball. "Just so you know, still don't believe in your friendship power."

[break][break]

+ // HT
[break]+ Pyroar faints
[break]+ Pryde loses

close tab

played by

thorn

Gavin Merlino
he/him
october 28th
circhester, galar
demisexual
the harbinger
underboss
awards
7,901 posts
part of
TAG WITH @gavin
Cillian Quinn
Pryde vs Gavin
POSTED ON Jul 5, 2021 0:13:49 GMT
Cillian Quinn Avatar
Luxray yowls its victory as Pyroar goes down, and Gavin smirks.

His attention flicks from the Pokemon to Pryde as the other speaks, though he cards a hand through Luxray's mane as it prowls back to his side and nudges against his thigh.

"Ah, you'll come around."
close tab

played by

King

Lloyd Kvar
he/him
October 24
Married
Scientist
Ex-Head Scientist
203 height
203 height
awards
569 posts
part of
TAG WITH @pryde
Raphael Pryde
Pryde vs Gavin
POSTED ON Jul 8, 2021 5:48:32 GMT
Raphael Pryde Avatar
[nospaces]

“Only time will tell,” though if he is being honest he doesn’t really want to try. His methods have been useful, and have been the same for many years. Why change what works? [break][break]

“So Mr. King,” figure he might converse as they leave the battlefield, “Do you plan to get anything out of this tournament? Or are you just having fun?’

[break][break]

+ // HT
[break]+ Pyroar faints
[break]+ Pryde loses