eagle-eye [m]

i used to dream in the dark of palisades park

close tab

played by

i used to dream in the dark of palisades park.
awards
0 posts
Deleted DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @Deleted
Deleted
eagle-eye [m]
POSTED ON Jun 15, 2021 16:46:20 GMT
Deleted Avatar
Red and green pilot-lights flared like lit fuses as the helicopter touched down, the soft fwap-fwap-fwap of its blades fading to a distant buzz. With careful maneuvering, nose pitching only slightly as it dropped, the slender aircraft settled on the landing pad.

The seaplane hangar was all but deserted, manned only by a single, sleepy guard on night shift. He was easy enough to barter with for a fill-up, though Jess winced as she signed off on her checkbook and tore off the stub of paper. Fuel didn't come cheap, and her (unemployed) resources were limited enough as it was.

If it wasn't for the prize on the line, she'd never be taking such a big risk-- financial or otherwise-- by flying out here. An ad had gone up recently for photos of an unusual night phenomenon out on open waters near Lilycove City: something you needed a birds-eye view to really capture. Fortunately for her, Jess had the biggest, most nocturnal bird in the sky. 

Now she just needed to wait for it to fill up. She checked her watch. The pungent scent of engine fuel burned hot in the cool night air, counting down the minutes to liftoff. Should be about... twenty minutes, at this rate.

close tab

played by

esuna

angel, rogue bastard
he / him
twenty-six
july 21st
alto mare, johto
heterosexual
pilot
nautica owner
starblood ✦
awards
2,384 posts
part of
TAG WITH @angelo
angelo vestri
eagle-eye [m]
POSTED ON Jun 15, 2021 18:26:04 GMT
angelo vestri Avatar
[nospaces]
[attr="class","angelo"]
Save from the waves sloshing languidly against the sand as it creeps inland, it’s a quiet night. [break][break]

Background beach ambiance is punctuated only by the soles of his sneakers scuffing against the harbourside and the snuffling of a Lycanroc’s nose as she tracks remnants of tourist’s snacks. No doubt long picked off by Wingull hours ago. [break][break]

Lilycove is at peace – uneventful and just the slightest bit lonesome – for but a brief moment… [break][break]

Shadow-lined eyes drag skyward, earthy tones of the smoke that escapes Angelo's lips mingling with the pungent brine that rolls off the water. Attention snagging on an artificial north star as it flies by over his head, song of the whipping blades strangely hypnotic. Luring the flight enthusiast in him. [break][break]

His own tracking attempts bear more fruit than that of his dog. [break][break]

Remnants of his smoke discarded, Angelo curiously approaches the familiar waterside hangar where a couple of pristine white seaplanes bob on the water; the usually sleepy aircraft station surprisingly alive at this time of night.[break][break]

You’ve got a beautiful one, there.” He comments with hands snug in his pockets to the woman hovering by the helicopter, tilting his chin towards the craft as it shines under the dim lamp glow; not fully walking into the gated perimeter just yet. [break][break]

What is she, a Dynali?” There’s a pause of consideration over his choice, brow pinched as Angelo peers curiously at the helicopter through the dark with an thoughtful tilt of his head. “Ah, no, wait… Scratch that. A Zefhir?
[break][break]
His enraptured attention is only diverted when he has to whistle for Orion to not run over to the pilot in an overly-friendly manner, her rear wiggling from the force of her swaying tail - near fast enough to mimic a chopper blade.

[break][break]

+ @jess [break][break]

[attr="class","pokeclass"]

[attr="class","credit"]milky

[newclass=.angelo]font:11px roboto;--accent:#a1b6d7[/newclass]

[newclass=.angelo b]color:var(--accent);[/newclass]
[newclass=.angelo i]color:var(--accent);[/newclass]
[newclass=.angelo a]text-transform:uppercase; font-weight:bold[/newclass]
[newclass=.angelo .pokesprite]color:#32a852; background:rgba(0,0,0,0.1);border:1px solid rgba(0,0,0,0.2); margin-right:10px; margin-top:5px; padding:5px; filter:grayscale(90%); transition:0.5s all;[/newclass]
[newclass=.angelo .pkspr:hover]background:rgba(0,0,0,0.2); filter:none; transition:0.5s all;[/newclass]
[newclass=.angelo .pokeclass]text-align:right; width:520px; [/newclass]
[newclass=.angelo .pokeclass img]background:#2b2b2b;border-radius:100px; border:1px solid #solid 1px #232323; border:1px solid #232323; margin-top:-30px; padding-bottom:12px; transition:1.5s; margin-left:8px; box-shadow:2px 2px transparent;[/newclass]
[newclass=.angelo .pokeclass img:hover]background:var(--accent); transition:1s all; box-shadow:2px 2px #232323 [/newclass]
[newclass=.angelo]position:relative;[/newclass]
[newclass=.angelo .credit]font:bold 15px poppins; transform:rotate(90deg); position:absolute; bottom:55px; right:45px; color:rgb(65,65,65); text-shadow: -1px -1px 0 #232323, 1px -1px 0 #232323, -1px 1px 0 #232323, 1px 1px 0 #232323;[/newclass]
close tab

played by

awards
0 posts
Deleted DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @Deleted
Deleted
eagle-eye [m]
POSTED ON Jun 16, 2021 1:44:03 GMT
Deleted Avatar
Twiddling her thumbs for minute after minute made her restless. Could use a beer or something, she thought wistfully, just to cool my nerves and pass the time. But she didn't fly drunk-- that was practically suicide. 

She didn't jump at the voice which called to her from beyond the fence, though she did turn to look at him, unwinding from her slouch against the side of the hangar in stages like a newspaper being unfolded. "Zefhir," she said back, squinting against the amber glow of the dock lights. "You got a good eye, stranger."

He didn't look like any kind of official who might look too closely into her paperwork, so Jess relaxed. She was grateful to see the Lycanroc who came bounding up towards her get whistled back before it could impale her on its ruff of black spikes-- rangers were taught to keep their distance from wild Pokemon, who often didn't know any better when socializing with individuals outside their own kind. 

"You hang out here often?" It seemed too sudden to ask if he flew himself. She sort of assumed he was one of the seaplane pilots, but hell, who knew, he might just be a fan.

close tab

played by

esuna

angel, rogue bastard
he / him
twenty-six
july 21st
alto mare, johto
heterosexual
pilot
nautica owner
starblood ✦
awards
2,384 posts
part of
TAG WITH @angelo
angelo vestri
eagle-eye [m]
POSTED ON Jun 16, 2021 17:46:41 GMT
angelo vestri Avatar
[nospaces]
[attr="class","angelo"]
Yeah, a good eye sounds about right. My first guess was a miss.” Angelo smiles wryly at the woman as he fishes around in his pocket, pulling out a sad looking tennis ball with half the green fluff missing. Upon spotting it, Orion’s eyes light up like a child hearing Stantler bells on Christmas; eagerly giving chase when Angelo purposefully aims it in the opposite direction from the hangar. “Just don’t judge me too hard, a’right? It’s dark.” He chuckles, ignoring the dull throb of his back from the pitch. [break][break]

There's no mention that his mix-up was the result of seeing both helicopters in pixel form only, as opposed to in the flesh.[break][break]

Over the last couple of weeks, Angelo had stolen his fair share of strolls this way up the harbourside. Lured in by humming propellers and the scent of hot fuel blending together with cool ocean brine. Hanging around, watching the aircrafts as they take to the skies and making small talk with pilots where they’d humour him, had only added more kindling to his rapidly strengthening interest. [break][break]

It seemed like she was one of the few willing to indulge him. Angelo smiles. [break][break]

More often than I used to, lately. I'm staying further down the harbour.” He rolls a pebble of grit under his shoe, making small white lines against the concrete. Restless, unspent energy crawling underneath his skin. “What about you? Lilycove one of your regular stopovers or are you passing by?” [break][break]

It wasn’t like he hung around all the time, so it could be that she was a fresh face in the port city. Angelo was sure he’d remember the craft she flew if he’d caught sight of it before, though.

[break][break]

+ @jess [break][break]

[newclass=.angelo .pokesprite]color:#32a852; background:rgba(0,0,0,0.1);border:1px solid rgba(0,0,0,0.2); margin-right:10px; margin-top:5px; padding:5px; filter:grayscale(90%); transition:0.5s all;[/newclass]
[newclass=.angelo .pkspr:hover]background:rgba(0,0,0,0.2); filter:none; transition:0.5s all;[/newclass]
[newclass=.angelo .pokeclass img]background:#2b2b2b;border-radius:100px; border:1px solid #solid 1px #232323; border:1px solid #232323; margin-top:-30px; padding-bottom:12px; transition:1.5s; margin-left:8px; box-shadow:2px 2px transparent;[/newclass]
[newclass=.angelo .pokeclass img:hover]background:var(--accent); transition:1s all; box-shadow:2px 2px #232323 [/newclass]
[newclass=.angelo .credit]font:bold 15px poppins; transform:rotate(90deg); position:absolute; bottom:55px; right:45px; color:rgb(65,65,65); text-shadow: -1px -1px 0 #232323, 1px -1px 0 #232323, -1px 1px 0 #232323, 1px 1px 0 #232323;[/newclass]
close tab

played by

awards
0 posts
Deleted DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @Deleted
Deleted
eagle-eye [m]
POSTED ON Jun 21, 2021 14:01:24 GMT
Deleted Avatar
Strangers who knew too much put Jess in an awkward position, and the pained expression on her face told it all. She hitched her mouth to the side, chewing on the inside of her cheek. "Here on a job, actually," she said, settling on the truth (in part). Truthfully, the ex-ranger was too new in Hoenn to have any regular stopovers.

It had probably been a stupid move to bring the Zefhir over with her when she'd left Almia, but hell, she couldn't leave it behind any more than she could have left her Dodrio in Sinnoh. Something being a bad idea or not technically legal had never stopped her from sticking to her commitments. She'd promised the 'copter a good home, and hell if she was surrendering it over to the rangers just because they'd turned their back on her over some arbitrary by-laws.

The pilot's eyes moved out over the water, looking out across the bay. "You said you stay up in the harbor?" she asked suddenly, tuning in to a potential lead. "You notice anything funny? Nothing to laugh at, that's to say," she amended wryly, "But any lights over the water at night, anything strange under the water, any 'illuminary' phenomenon and so on? I got a client paying top dollar for an aerial shot."

She checked her watch. It had been broken for a long time and ran on a time zone far from Hoenn's shores, but she'd gotten the hang of reading it right-ways-up. She cast a glance, eyes half-lidded, at the man by the fence. Beneath its sleepy appearance, the look was searching. "Hm. You any good with a camera?"

close tab

played by

esuna

angel, rogue bastard
he / him
twenty-six
july 21st
alto mare, johto
heterosexual
pilot
nautica owner
starblood ✦
awards
2,384 posts
part of
TAG WITH @angelo
angelo vestri
eagle-eye [m]
POSTED ON Jun 23, 2021 13:35:15 GMT
angelo vestri Avatar
[nospaces]
[attr="class","angelo"]
A breath of amusement passes his lips, corner of blue eyes crinkling with the hint of something unsaid. [break][break]

You can say that,” he grins slowly but doesn’t laugh, not externally. Being in Lilycove – staying on the Sotally Tober, even part time – you’re bound to witness some funny sights, for sure. Although that was part of the adventure of it all, he guessed. [break][break]

But lights around the water, huh?” A hand is raised to his jaw, thoughtfully brushing a palm over the beginnings of a shadow from a neglected shave, bristles sharp as they catch on callouses. “Think I heard someone mention the Finneon the other day,” more like complain because they’d leapt into said person’s boat in droves, but details. “They glow at night past the bay, sometimes. Pretty sight if you’re willing to go out that far. That could be what you're looking for.” [break][break]

Orion lumbers back then and Angelo automatically extends a hand towards her. But blue eyes don’t detach themselves from the pilot and her helicopter, not even when a ball slathered in drool is dumped graciously into his open palm. [break][break]

Anticipation crackles, too thick and magnetic in his chest to resist… [break][break]

If aiming and pressing the button counts as being a decent cameraman, then yeah; I can take a good shot.”[break][break]

Her half-lidded gaze is met with something equally searching on his side, eyes narrowed calmly but focused. Absorbing any hints in her expression. [break][break]

You need an extra pair of hands?” Angelo takes the bait, hungry. 

[break][break]

+ @jess [break][break]

close tab

played by

awards
0 posts
Deleted DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @Deleted
Deleted
eagle-eye [m]
POSTED ON Jun 27, 2021 14:04:09 GMT
Deleted Avatar
Jess snapped her fingers. "That's it. Finneon." She was surprised by the rush of exhilaration that flooded over her, as if Angelo had given her the final piece of some puzzle she'd been trying to solve. Nice to know what I'm actually getting into for a change.

The lack of detail in the client's request had been frustrating, but she was used to operating based on half-cooked plans of action. The job didn't always come with all the information-- more likely, it was some vague report or another by someone who'd lost contact halfway through a transmission, or from well-meaning citizens who didn't know much about the situation you were flying into. 

Jess cracked a grin at his answer. "Beats me piloting one-handed." She rubbed the back of her head. "I figured I'd fly out there once and figure out what all the hubhub was about before trying to get a shot, but if we can do it all in one go it'll sure save me the fuel." She spoke casually, as if they'd already made an agreement.

Checking her watch, Jess gave a small nod. "You up for a night flight? Ought to be smooth air tonight." She thumbed at the Zefhir, raising her brows. Her lips quirked. "She seats two, but only just." She glanced pointedly between Angelo and his Lycanroc. "Y'all can draw straws, but whoever's got the camera's got shotgun."

It wasn't long until rotor blades were spinning again, the muffled fwap-fwap-fwap increasing in speed until it became a numbing whir. Both Jess's hands and feet engaged in a balancing act with the controls as the pilot focused in, muttering under her breath. The weight of a second person would actually make her more stable in the air, once they actually got off the ground.

Jess felt her heart rate subsiding as the Zefhir's skids grew light on the platform, then finally lifted into the air. The seaplane hangar grew small below them as the helicopter gained altitude, heading out to sea. "There we go!" she said to her passenger, pitching her voice over the hum of the rotor blades. "How you feeling?"

close tab

played by

esuna

angel, rogue bastard
he / him
twenty-six
july 21st
alto mare, johto
heterosexual
pilot
nautica owner
starblood ✦
awards
2,384 posts
part of
TAG WITH @angelo
angelo vestri
eagle-eye [m]
POSTED ON Jun 30, 2021 16:19:55 GMT
angelo vestri Avatar
[nospaces]
[attr="class","angelo"]
"How you feeling?"[break][break]

There’s a pause, a moment where only the rapid whirring of the helicopter blades replies to Jess in the tiny cockpit. [break][break]

Good.” Are all his lungs quietly expel at first – breathless. [break][break]

But as the helicopter skids lift up from off the ground, hovering in a moment of weightlessness before it ascends, words aren’t the only thing that’s escaped Angelo’s grasp. [break][break]

With a rising pulse and a surge of emotion that swells in his chest the higher they get, like an expanding, free cloud; his heart appears to have floated away, too.[break][break]

Great.I love it…[break][break]

Lips part when his brain finally catches up to the flutter in his ribs, calloused fingertips squeezing hold of the camera he had been assigned in charge of tight. Like it’s the only thing keeping him from throwing himself to the wind, from becoming a part of it. (Why was he stopping himself, again?)[break][break]

This is…I love it… [break][break]

Bright eyes peer hungrily through the large glass panes of the Zefhir towards the ground below, Lilycove disappearing further and further until it becomes but tiny, insignificant shapes in the night. The courier captivated as they leave it all behind for a world composed of an inky canopy and stars that stretch endlessly, sparkling in sky and sea. [break][break]

Holy shit.I love it… [break][break]

A short laugh, drunk, tumbles from his lips as he tosses a look over his shoulder at Jess. Perhaps she’d recognise the look in his eyes as he grins at her, with blue eyes opened like he’s just found a missing piece. Something tasted that he’d never be able to replicate anywhere else.[break][break]

And Angelo knew then that he’d never be sated. Because when you’re starving for that one thing and you take a single bite… It only makes you hungrier.[break][break]

And this… He’s only going to want more and more and more… [break][break]

Feeling happy I’m the one who’s got opposable thumbs.” Sorry, Orion.

[break][break]

+ @jess [break][break]

close tab

played by

awards
0 posts
Deleted DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @Deleted
Deleted
eagle-eye [m]
POSTED ON Jul 2, 2021 2:46:14 GMT
Deleted Avatar
Jess watched him out of the corner of her eye, trading between the instrument panel and her passenger. 

"City's pretty sleepy. Not many lights on," she observed, casually flipping on the AUTOPILOT from the interseat console. Ought to be stable enough by now. 

She felt the pedals stabilize beneath her boots and relaxed, settling back in her seat without taking her hands off the pitch controls. Piloting still took most of her concentration, much like how cruise control didn't mean a driver could stop steering, but now she had a point of solid reference to go back to. She turned to grin at Angelo, sly and wordless, as her passenger expressed his excitement. "It's somethin', isn't it? You wanna press some buttons?"

It sounded like a joke, but she nodded her head up at the overhead panel. "That's all standard lights, AC, wipers. Go nuts-- it's dark as hell anyway. Can't get much of a visual to fly by." She gestured dismissively at the two LED screens in front of them, currently displaying a set of digital meters on the left and a series of colored bars on the right. Jess wondered wryly whether Angelo would realize what a swanky ride he'd hitched-- or whether he'd be suspicious. I don't exactly give off the 'hilariously wealthy' vibe. She felt a pang and pushed it away. I got nothing to be guilty about.

"Keep an eye out for those Finneon," Jess said, glancing out the window towards the black waters below. Was that a flicker of light? Nah, probably just a reflection. 

close tab

played by

esuna

angel, rogue bastard
he / him
twenty-six
july 21st
alto mare, johto
heterosexual
pilot
nautica owner
starblood ✦
awards
2,384 posts
part of
TAG WITH @angelo
angelo vestri
eagle-eye [m]
POSTED ON Jul 4, 2021 18:08:38 GMT
angelo vestri Avatar
[nospaces]
[attr="class","angelo"]
A breath of amusement exhales through his nose; lips quirked. “You think I’m going to turn down an offer like that?”[break][break]

As Jess points out the control panel, giving name to the assortment of buttons, meters and readings, Angelo leans in to absorb every drop that she’s willing to give. Blue eyes scan the intricate piece of equipment, hands unshaking as he reaches forward to press buttons and tap at the screens. Picture of intrigued calm even if his heart has long taken flight. [break][break]

So, which one is the… think it’s called an Altimeter?” He asks, after flicking at the lights and wipers. Pointing to a dial and then another; reaching for information as he asks a series of questions. “This one? And what’re the coloured bars next to it reading?” [break][break]

It doesn’t pass Angelo by that this appears to be relatively new tech, if only because he’d been spending hours upon hours during his recovery period flicking through books, magazines and websites for research on his own hypotheticals. [break][break]

Asking about how she’d acquired her Zefhir would come later, however. Something in the distance catches Angelo’s eye instead… [break][break]

And I think that,” he indicates with a tilt of his chin towards the darkened horizon, moonlight shimmering on the rippling waters surface while down below, a blend of bioluminescent pinks and blues sparkle like an underwater milky way. “Is the ‘illuminary’ phenomenon you’re looking for. If it’s not, I owe you five bucks.” Angelo grins slowly, momentarily turning his attention to getting the camera ready. [break][break]

Although taking photographs is the last thing on his mind, he’s still got a job to do.

[break][break]

+ @jess [break][break]

close tab

played by

awards
0 posts
Deleted DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @Deleted
Deleted
eagle-eye [m]
POSTED ON Jul 4, 2021 23:33:05 GMT
Deleted Avatar
She could see it too now-- the shimmer in the distance, like an underwater aurora. "Nice eye. Setting a course," Jess said, reaching up to flip something on the overhead panel. On the main panel, a circular dial displaying the numbers 0-9 began to decrease.

"Altimiter's here in the middle," Jess said, tapping the circular dial. It was set in the center of the console, separated from the twin LED screens. The numbers were larger on it, suggesting it was particularly important. Hell if it isn't. Nice as it was to have a glass cockpit, you wouldn't be laughing if the digital screens went down during an electrical surge and took all your precious flight instruments with them. Jess could feel her stomach sink just at the thought. 

"These are the important ones," she said, indicating the line of mechanical meters. Many of them were labeled helpfully with their function, listing mysterious words like "KNOTS - AIRSPEED" or "VERTICAL SPEED" or one that said simply "CLIMB." It was pretty difficult to try and wrap one's head around, but with his extensive private research, maybe they would be familiar to Angelo.  "Anything else you can fly without, it's just tricky."

Jess didn't ask why he was so interested. Seems natural to me. Why keep your head down when you could ask questions? "Colored bars on your side're fuel and engine readout. This side's the attitude indicator, or the gyroscope. Handy when it's dark like this to catch your bearings." The display was a pictorial rendition of the ground and sky, as well as the aircraft's position between both. "You'll see it tilt if we're ever cockeyed to the horizon."

"You'll find most of this stuff in your typical seaplane, but these two are special for a 'copter. Here's our torque-- I control that with the foot pedals. Keeps us from spinning one way while the propeller spins the other." She'd had her eye on both dials throughout the liftoff procedure and Jess continued to cast glances at them as they flew. "Other one's RPM gauge - stands for rotations per minute. That's our rotor and engine turbine. See this green part?" She leaned over to finger the tiniest sliver of the circle marked in bright green. "--That's our safe zone. We get pushed out of the green, we can't fly."

It was a miracle the needle stayed, steady and unwavering. Part of that was skill. Part of that was autopilot. 

She flipped it off as they descended, angling slightly towards the rippling, bioluminescent water. The screen she'd called the 'attitude indicator' seemed to shift as they moved, displaying a diagonal rift of sky and sea. The latter increased in proportion to the sky as they drew near, pastel, neon-bright colors gleaming just beneath the surface. "Holy cow," Jess said, tearing her eyes away from her instruments to peer out the side window, "It's sure something..." 

close tab

played by

esuna

angel, rogue bastard
he / him
twenty-six
july 21st
alto mare, johto
heterosexual
pilot
nautica owner
starblood ✦
awards
2,384 posts
part of
TAG WITH @angelo
angelo vestri
eagle-eye [m]
POSTED ON Jul 12, 2021 22:12:19 GMT
angelo vestri Avatar
[nospaces]
[attr="class","angelo"]
Angelo’s gaze dutifully follows where Jess points, checking out the singular control panel and all of its dials that she gives name, glowing softly to keep them visible in the night’s darkness. He drinks up all the information she’s generous to give, thirsty; quenched and insatiable all at once. [break][break]

Feels like my head’s going to explode.” He chuckles softly as all the terms swim in his head, some familiar from what he had researched and others not. All the jargon mixing together like another language he can only pick a few words out of, yet it doesn't deter him. “In a good way… If that makes any sense?” [break][break]

As the helicopter is switched off Auto-Pilot, Jess leading the roaring aircraft closer to the restless waves, Angelo feels his breath silently catch in his throat. Momentarily breathless at the feel of the elevated craft, tilting and thrumming, close enough to the surface of the sea that he could visualise reaching out to touch the glowing spectacle. A milky way of blues and pinks suspended within another world, just a looking glass jump away. [break][break]

Yeah, it is…” He utters, talking about something else entirely. [break][break]

Taking some pictures of the illuminary fish phenomenon, Angelo flicks his gaze from the photographs that he had taken to ensure they were of decent quality and back to the horizon, water aglow with a moon silver shimmer. [break][break]

Y’know, I’ve actually been thinking of trying to get a license for a while now…” He admits out loud to another person, for the first time. “For planes, specifically. No offense. Your 'copter is the nicest I've flown in,” there’s a small breath of amusement then, a tilt of his lips just the slightest mischievous in all his enamour. It's the only one he's caught a ride in. [break][break]

Angelo's eyes don’t part from looking out the window; not really.

[break][break]

+ @jess [break][break]

close tab

played by

awards
0 posts
Deleted DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @Deleted
Deleted
eagle-eye [m]
POSTED ON Aug 9, 2021 13:35:50 GMT
Deleted Avatar
 The aircraft seemed to skim the waves, its turbines throwing up a thin mist from the waters below. Jess adjusted their altitude, rising high enough that the helicopter wouldn't interfere with the shot. It was hard enough to take an aerial photo of an underwater phenomenon without a bunch of sea spray in the way. 

Hell, it was something, though.

Jess had seen natural miracles before. From a birds-eye view, she'd seen Pokemon interacting in the wild in ways you'd never believe-- that was one of the perks of the job. Sometimes her co-pilot was a scientist, a researcher studying some unique behavior. Sometimes they were a fellow Ranger, focused on the mission at hand. Very rarely was her co-pilot an actual co-pilot, or at least someone thinking about taking on that role.

When he said he'd been thinking about getting his pilot's license, though--

She let out a soft breath. "Mm. That takes me back."

It would be wrong to say that was a simpler time. A chaotic time, it'd be more accurate to say. A bad time, full of doubt and indecision and struggling to do what was right. She remembered asking that same question in a similar place, in the co-pilot's seat of Parker's seaplane one day they'd snuck out off the clock. "Hey. You reckon I could fly one of these things? If I put in all the work, training and all that?"

"You should," Jess answered simply, just as he had.

The nostalgia faded and she cracked a wry grin at the comment about her helicopter. "No worries. They ain't all as easy to fly as this one, either. Wish I'd gone into planes too-- would have saved me some blood, sweat and tears." But she hadn't done all that Ranger training for nothing-- search and rescue didn't need cargo drops, and planes couldn't put out forest fires. 

With the pictures taken, Jess continued to ascend, pausing just above to watch the eerie lights rippling below them. Cotton-candy pinks and blues gleamed and fanned like butterfly wings, making slow-motion swirls of phosphorescence in the mirror-black sea.

For a moment she lost track of sky and sea, and felt she was gazing up into the swirling heart of the galaxy.

"Tell you what," she said suddenly. "I got a pilot friend on the mainland who could get you in touch with a couple flight schools. Can't speak for commercial work, but you train hard and got the cash, might get your seaplane rating in... shoot, under a week. License don't buy you a plane, but maybe he can help you out there too."

She turned away from the window, gaze resting steadily on the back of Angelo's head. "His name's Parker. Mine's Callow.

close tab

played by

esuna

angel, rogue bastard
he / him
twenty-six
july 21st
alto mare, johto
heterosexual
pilot
nautica owner
starblood ✦
awards
2,384 posts
part of
TAG WITH @angelo
angelo vestri
eagle-eye [m]
POSTED ON Aug 11, 2021 19:28:08 GMT
angelo vestri Avatar
[nospaces]
[attr="class","angelo"]
“You should.”[break][break]

It’s a straightforward response from a stranger. Simple. Innocent. Earnest. But one that buries in deep, sinking itself into Angelo’s brain, making him question everything that he constantly told himself – enforced upon himself – on a nearly day to day basis. [break][break]

Why wasn’t he chasing after the stars, again? [break][break]

Ah, that was right. Responsibilities. Money. [break][break]

Back in Alto Mare, his family were barely making ends meet and a portion of his wages that he dutifully sent back every payday helped make things that little easier for them; he’d come to Hoenn to attend university for that very reason, even. [break][break]

Angelo had long resigned himself to giving to them first, in one way or another, even if over the last year he'd slowly decided that he had no intention of returning back to Alto Mare. [break][break]

But what about his dreams? [break][break]

What was that teaching Lucia, Amara, Emilio, Paolo…? Even little Nico, who wasn’t even in school yet? [break][break]

Would he be okay, if he was in their position, knowing they’d given up on something they really wanted? [break][break]

If his mother knew he was unhappy with his chosen path – desperate and longing for a dream, another life, here – would she still accept the funds into her bank account at the beginning of each new month? [break][break]

Perhaps all you needed sometimes, was someone to come out and state the obvious. [break][break]

For you should to morph into I should.[break][break]

Angelo turns, eyes that had once been weary from a lack of sleep, shadowed by pain and restlessness that stretches far beyond the incidents that had rendered him boat-bound, suddenly alert. Hopeful. Opened. [break][break]

Vestri. Or just Angelo. Either’s fine by me.” [break][break]

His mouth is dry, yet the smile on it is earnest and the weight on his shoulders, the ones he didn’t realise just how heavy – how imprisoning, constricting, grounding – suddenly feels a little lighter. [break][break]

It's good to meet you, Callow.”[break][break]

And for the first time in a far too long, as another extends their hand in aid towards him… Angelo accepts. [break][break]

Y’know what… That would be great.” A short laugh escapes, before he speaks in jest. “If this is how you’re planning on paying me for my photographer services, by the way, then you've got yourself a deal.” [break][break]

After all, Angelo doubts he'd ever be able to repay how much @jess has, perhaps unknowingly, given him with a gesture such as this. Although he knows he'll never forget.

[break][break]

+ @jess [break][break]

close tab

played by

SHIV

GONGAGER
he/him
October 13
GONGAGA
gongaga-romantic
gongager
gongago
me?
gongaga
808 height
808 height
WHERE ARE UNOVA REMAKES
awards
38,781 posts
shiv DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @shiv
shiv
eagle-eye [m]
POSTED ON Aug 13, 2021 4:26:22 GMT
shiv Avatar
[nospaces]
[attr="class","TRAINER"]
[attr="class","omaccepted"]
[attr="class","omacceptedtop"]MISSION COMPLETE!

[attr="class","omacceptedmid"]

YOU RECEIVE THE REWARDS BELOW:[break]

[attr="class","omacceptedlinks"]
[attr="class","omacceptedlinks1"]TAGS:
@jess