3,796 posts
part of
TAG WITH @lars
Laurence Anderson
down to the wire [H✩T]
POSTED ON Jul 7, 2021 4:57:34 GMT
Laurence Anderson Avatar

Things had come down to the wire—

Who knew that long battles like this were exhausting? Maybe this was the reason why he didn’t like battling for extended periods of time.

Not only did it hurt his brain, it made him think of so many unconventional ways on how to counter whatever the younger Ranger was throwing at him.

Five down, one more to go, and Lars wasn’t surprised to see that the other had busted out something he thought he’d already seen once…

“Rijm, we can’t lose. Moonblast it, now!” he called out, as the frosty Ninetales took another gander at the Pokémon across the field before gathering up a powerful blast of lunar energy and then chucking it at the—

He could swear he saw this Pokémon before, but where—and when—?

objective completed: have your Pokémon faint 5 times!

close tab

played by

King

he/him
May 24
Sootopolis City
Uninterested
Ranger
Slateport Ranger Captain
5'10 height
5'10 height
i used to dream in the dark of palisades park.
awards
3,223 posts
part of
TAG WITH @razz
Razz Kingsman
down to the wire [H✩T]
POSTED ON Jul 8, 2021 11:52:06 GMT
Razz Kingsman Avatar
[nospaces]
[attr="class","razzboxbl"]

The battle was exhausting but he had already promised the head Ranger that he would bring his A-Game so here he was. Most of his pokemon were already out cold but now the ace up his sleeve was out. While Whis might not be the most powerful pokemon in his arsonal they’re definitely near his top. [break][break]

He whistles again and the Zeraora uses PROTECT to save themselves from the Moonblast. It wouldn’t take much more to knock Whis out and so the younger ranger knew they had to keep the defenses up. [break][break]

Another whistle and in his palms aura begins to build as Whis uses AURA SPHERE to try and strike the ninetales. [break][break]

VbCAfXMX

[break][break]

+ // H✩T Battle [break]
+

[attr="class","pokeclass"]

[attr="class","credit"]milky

[newclass=.razzboxbl]font:11px roboto;--accent:#d85641;[/newclass]

[newclass=.razzboxbl b]color:var(--accent);[/newclass]
[newclass=.razzboxbl i]color:#fff;[/newclass]
[newclass=.razzboxbl a]text-transform:uppercase; font-weight:bold; color:#db4253;[/newclass]
[newclass=.razzboxbl .pokesprite]color:#32a852; background:rgba(0,0,0,0.1);border:1px solid rgba(0,0,0,0.2); margin-right:10px; margin-top:5px; padding:5px; filter:grayscale(90%); transition:0.5s all;[/newclass]
[newclass=.razzboxbl .pkspr:hover]background:rgba(0,0,0,0.2); filter:none; transition:0.5s all;[/newclass]
[newclass=.razzboxbl .pokeclass]text-align:right; width:520px; [/newclass]
[newclass=.razzboxbl .pokeclass img]background:#2b2b2b;border-radius:100px; border:1px solid #solid 1px #232323; border:1px solid #232323; margin-top:-30px; padding-top:6px; padding-bottom:12px; transition:1.5s; margin-left:8px; box-shadow:2px 2px transparent;[/newclass]
[newclass=.razzboxbl .pokeclass img:hover]background:var(--accent); transition:1s all; box-shadow:2px 2px #232323 [/newclass]
[newclass=.razzboxbl]position:relative;[/newclass]
[newclass=.razzboxbl .credit]font:bold 15px poppins; transform:rotate(90deg); position:absolute; bottom:55px; right:45px; color:rgb(65,65,65); text-shadow: -1px -1px 0 #232323, 1px -1px 0 #232323, -1px 1px 0 #232323, 1px 1px 0 #232323;[/newclass]
close tab

played by

Ven

Lars
he / him / his
thirty-two
july 26
Sootopolis, Hoenn
don’t know, don’t care
ranger & courier
ex-head ranger
tonight
is gonna be the loneliest
1210 height
1210 height
nessuno vince.
awards
3,796 posts
part of
TAG WITH @lars
Laurence Anderson
down to the wire [H✩T]
POSTED ON Jul 8, 2021 17:03:41 GMT
Laurence Anderson Avatar

To nobody’s surprise the Moonblast had been blocked, however the incoming Aura Sphere was of more important concern.

“Deflect!” was all he had time to say before the frosty Ninetales unleashed an Extrasensory attack to intercept the Aura Sphere and diffuse it—he knew that this one would home in relentlessly (as Alpha loved using this move as well) however there was another trick up his sleeve—

Well, he hoped it was going to work, anyway.

“Freeze it!” he continued, and this time the white Ninetales flicked her tails before gathering up the arctic energy it possessed in spades and unleashing a frozen beam of arctic energy—an Ice Beam attack!

bqEMcVsa

A!Ninetales used Extrasensory to counteract and diffuse the Aura Sphere, before unleashing an Ice Beam attack!

close tab

played by

King

he/him
May 24
Sootopolis City
Uninterested
Ranger
Slateport Ranger Captain
5'10 height
5'10 height
awards
3,223 posts
part of
TAG WITH @razz
Razz Kingsman
down to the wire [H✩T]
POSTED ON Jul 11, 2021 0:17:06 GMT
Razz Kingsman Avatar
[nospaces]

ICE BEAM hits its mark, striking the cat in the shoulder. Whis hissed at the pain, but there was still a smirk on their face. The cat was having so much fun in this enough so that it calls out to their trainer as they want to end this big. “If that's how you want to do this, sure,” Razz agrees as there is a glow shared between trainer and pokemon as the younger Ranger shares his energy. [break][break]

[break][break]

From Whis’s fist a large energy came in the form of GIGAVOLT HAVOC to shoot at the Ninetales. The Zeraora having all intentions on winning.

[break][break]

+ // H✩T Battle [break]
+

[newclass=.razzboxbl a]text-transform:uppercase; font-weight:bold; color:#db4253;[/newclass]
[newclass=.razzboxbl .pokesprite]color:#32a852; background:rgba(0,0,0,0.1);border:1px solid rgba(0,0,0,0.2); margin-right:10px; margin-top:5px; padding:5px; filter:grayscale(90%); transition:0.5s all;[/newclass]
[newclass=.razzboxbl .pkspr:hover]background:rgba(0,0,0,0.2); filter:none; transition:0.5s all;[/newclass]
[newclass=.razzboxbl .pokeclass img]background:#2b2b2b;border-radius:100px; border:1px solid #solid 1px #232323; border:1px solid #232323; margin-top:-30px; padding-top:6px; padding-bottom:12px; transition:1.5s; margin-left:8px; box-shadow:2px 2px transparent;[/newclass]
[newclass=.razzboxbl .pokeclass img:hover]background:var(--accent); transition:1s all; box-shadow:2px 2px #232323 [/newclass]
[newclass=.razzboxbl .credit]font:bold 15px poppins; transform:rotate(90deg); position:absolute; bottom:55px; right:45px; color:rgb(65,65,65); text-shadow: -1px -1px 0 #232323, 1px -1px 0 #232323, -1px 1px 0 #232323, 1px 1px 0 #232323;[/newclass]
close tab

played by

Ven

Lars
he / him / his
thirty-two
july 26
Sootopolis, Hoenn
don’t know, don’t care
ranger & courier
ex-head ranger
tonight
1210 height
1210 height
nessuno vince.
awards
3,796 posts
part of
TAG WITH @lars
Laurence Anderson
down to the wire [H✩T]
POSTED ON Jul 11, 2021 16:49:01 GMT
Laurence Anderson Avatar

“That’s more like it, show some—” he began, before the thunder cat quite literally backed away, having been glanced by the frozen attack.

What was it planning?

A few seconds later the answer become obvious as a sudden explosion of electric energy made the hairs on the back of his neck stand up—even the frosty Ninetales turned around to face him like a deer caught in headlights.

How the hell were they going to fight that off?!

“Try to divert it away with your Extrasen— he began to shout before the all-consuming light enveloped the white Ninetales and he was forced to shield his eyes from the sudden burst of electrical energy.

Had he not shielded his eyes he’d have the afterimage seared into them for a good while. Once the hairs on the back of his neck stopped prickling, he knew it was safe to look—

And there she was, the frosty Ninetales, passed out.

“Rijm!” he shouted, blinking a few times before running over and giving the Ninetales a pat on the head.

“You really don’t hold back, huh,” he said as he recalled the collapsed Pokémon back into her containment unit to rest.

“What the hell was that you did just now? Big explosion of energy—not the same as what we encountered in the ruins… he trailed off.

A!Ninetales has been knocked out!

endeavor completed: witness a Z-move!

close tab

played by

King

he/him
May 24
Sootopolis City
Uninterested
Ranger
Slateport Ranger Captain
5'10 height
5'10 height
awards
3,223 posts
part of
TAG WITH @razz
Razz Kingsman
down to the wire [H✩T]
POSTED ON Jul 12, 2021 9:08:34 GMT
Razz Kingsman Avatar
[nospaces]

Razz sighs in some relief that the battle was now over. Whis cheers and goes over to his trainer and jumping into him with much more strength than needed and ends up with the ranger on the ground making him groan in some pain. But he gives the cat a smile either way as he pets his head. "You did good," he praises the kitten as Lars comes over. [break][break]

"Big explosion? It's a Z-move, have you never done it before?" he tilts his head at the head ranger before Salem speaks up looking stern at his trainer, "Oh uhh good match by the way,"

[break][break]

+ // H✩T Battle [break]
+

close tab

played by

Ven

Lars
he / him / his
thirty-two
july 26
Sootopolis, Hoenn
don’t know, don’t care
ranger & courier
ex-head ranger
tonight
1210 height
1210 height
nessuno vince.
awards
3,796 posts
part of
TAG WITH @lars
Laurence Anderson
down to the wire [H✩T]
POSTED ON Jul 12, 2021 9:22:46 GMT
Laurence Anderson Avatar

“Nope,” he was quick to answer.

“That was definitely different from what happened with Ro in the ruins. I remember in that instance my Metagross grew so large he managed to break the floor and fall down into the room below. That was definitely not what I remember from the top of my head,” he recounted.

“And a good match to you as well,” he added a few moments later before stretching his arms over his head, letting the silence envelop them for a few moments before he asked his next question.

“So what does a z-move do anyway—asides from it being a big explosion of energy?”

To be honest he leaned more towards Mega Evolution—what with Ro being his #1, frequently-used Pokémon who was capable of doing it and being a major badass in battle whenever it happened.

“Did you do some kind of a pose thing?”

He was taking mental notes for—later.

Maybe he could try to get one of his own, circumstances depending…

close tab

played by

King

he/him
May 24
Sootopolis City
Uninterested
Ranger
Slateport Ranger Captain
5'10 height
5'10 height
awards
3,223 posts
part of
TAG WITH @razz
Razz Kingsman
down to the wire [H✩T]
POSTED ON Jul 12, 2021 9:44:38 GMT
Razz Kingsman Avatar
[nospaces]

"Yeah... I don't think there is any explanation for what happened then either," the whole getting big thing was definitely something new to him. Razz decides to move off the field to let Whis rest a bit. Thinking a bit on how to describe a Z-move. "From the researched I've done about it, its a special move where Trainer and their Pokémon's wishes combine to unleash an attack comprising the full power of both. Though I've also seen some pokemon able to use it on their own so I'm not sure how accurate that is," he goes to his phone's research folder and goes to a video gallery of his. Showing the Head Ranger a video of his Greninja also using one. [break][break]

"I hear there is a pose with it to help you as the trainer give your energy, but it's not always required, but I do it to try and give my own strength to add"

[break][break]

+ // H✩T Battle [break]
+

close tab

played by

Ven

Lars
he / him / his
thirty-two
july 26
Sootopolis, Hoenn
don’t know, don’t care
ranger & courier
ex-head ranger
tonight
1210 height
1210 height
nessuno vince.
awards
3,796 posts
part of
TAG WITH @lars
Laurence Anderson
down to the wire [H✩T]
POSTED ON Jul 12, 2021 10:21:39 GMT
Laurence Anderson Avatar

“Hmm…” he mused as he took a look at the video of Razz’s Greninja doing the same aforementioned ‘z-move’.

“Funny how that works. Most times it has to be between human and a Pokémon, and then there are instances Pokémon can use them without a human companion? Interesting.”

Taking down more mental notes, he knew he was going to be in for one hell of a time when he decided on which one of his companions was going to be receiving the z-move.

“You want a snow cone? There’s a stand not too far over there,” he asked once he was done taking those mental notes for later.

“Also… humor me this. Why haven’t you been showing up lately for meetings and stuff? You’ve been… how do I put this, ‘off the grid’ for a while. Is there something wrong?”

close tab

played by

King

he/him
May 24
Sootopolis City
Uninterested
Ranger
Slateport Ranger Captain
5'10 height
5'10 height
awards
3,223 posts
part of
TAG WITH @razz
Razz Kingsman
down to the wire [H✩T]
POSTED ON Jul 12, 2021 10:29:53 GMT
Razz Kingsman Avatar
[nospaces]

"Ahh its more a the pokemon is able to use it, but their trainer doesn't need the pose?" he tries to explain, not sure if he was clear enough. He shrugs, wishing he could give the other a better answer, but he hasn't heard of Z-moves before Hoenn. And he was no longer the little science assistant he used to be who would go out of his way to learn everything and anything. Doing that same kind of research now at times felt triggering. So he'll just give a shrug and a nod about the snow cone. Feeling his pokemon would enjoy the treat[break][break]

However he does tense up at the question about the meetings and things. Realizing that he hasn't really had a real talk with Lars about this. "Ah right... ummm... I've taken up a Ranger job with Silph Co actually," he explains lightly, "So all I've worked on have been going through them. [break][break]

Sorry I haven't had much chance to tell you properly until now."

[break][break]

+ // H✩T Battle [break]
+

close tab

played by

Ven

Lars
he / him / his
thirty-two
july 26
Sootopolis, Hoenn
don’t know, don’t care
ranger & courier
ex-head ranger
tonight
1210 height
1210 height
nessuno vince.
awards
3,796 posts
part of
TAG WITH @lars
Laurence Anderson
down to the wire [H✩T]
POSTED ON Jul 12, 2021 10:48:03 GMT
Laurence Anderson Avatar

As luck would have it, there was a wandering vendor who only had a few more snow cones to sell before they called it quits for the day, and that one just happened to pass by where Lars was.

A quick exchange later, he returned with two snow cones. Both of them were lemon-flavored, and he had a feeling Razz wasn’t all for the sweet stuff, so…

“Here, have one,” he said, passing one of the snow cones to the younger man.

At his explanation, his brow furrowed.

“You’re… you’re working for—the ex-Councilman?” he began after he’d taken a bite.

After letting the other explain, he had only one other question—and that was—

“Why?”

close tab

played by

King

he/him
May 24
Sootopolis City
Uninterested
Ranger
Slateport Ranger Captain
5'10 height
5'10 height
awards
3,223 posts
part of
TAG WITH @razz
Razz Kingsman
down to the wire [H✩T]
POSTED ON Jul 12, 2021 11:10:40 GMT
Razz Kingsman Avatar
[nospaces]

"Thank you," he says as he takes the ice cone, if their hands brushed Lars may find the younger man's hands unusually warm. Thankfully its something he has had plenty of time to make excuses for. He would be quick to hand it over to Salem and Whis to share. As sweets weren't his thing. And figured this might be the same. [break][break]

He'll give a simple nod when it came to working for , though the why of it felt like it might be hard to explain. "He has promised me help with a few issues I've been worried about," no he wasn't going to talk about those issues as he worried about what Anderson would share being part of the AQUA Initiative. "Along with that information gathering of Silph Co. resources," then finally a shrug, "Besides that he's always been a decent guy to me despite rumors I hear so.. yeah"[break][break]

He was also getting paid much more, but that had no reason why he was with Silph Co.

[break][break]

+ // H✩T Battle [break]
+

close tab

played by

Ven

Lars
he / him / his
thirty-two
july 26
Sootopolis, Hoenn
don’t know, don’t care
ranger & courier
ex-head ranger
tonight
1210 height
1210 height
nessuno vince.
awards
3,796 posts
part of
TAG WITH @lars
Laurence Anderson
down to the wire [H✩T]
POSTED ON Jul 12, 2021 11:22:47 GMT
Laurence Anderson Avatar

“And here I was, I thought you liked sour things if sweets weren’t your cup of tea,” he said with a smirk as the snow cone went to Salem (as usual).

Although—there was something he noticed.

While his own hands were perpetually hovering near a state of cold, what was up with the other’s hands? Why were they warm? Surely this wasn’t some residual… thing from the z-move earlier?

“Issues?” he decided to tackle this one at a time.

“What kind are they, since you deemed them more important to ask someone else and not me, since you’re a Ranger first and foremost. Honestly, I’m wounded,” he said quietly as he took another bite of the snow cone in his hand.

Now the lemon flavor tasted too sour and he had to bite his tongue. This was… very disappointing, to say the least.

“Look, I may be—hell, I don’t know if I’m still your boss at this point, but honestly, the Rangers are my family at this point—and someone in a family not opening up and speaking out about what’s wrong just—hurts.”

He wasn’t like this with his own younger brother, for one thing.

Time and circumstances had driven him and Claude apart, and they’d ended up growing into two completely different people because of it.

close tab

played by

King

he/him
May 24
Sootopolis City
Uninterested
Ranger
Slateport Ranger Captain
5'10 height
5'10 height
awards
3,223 posts
part of
TAG WITH @razz
Razz Kingsman
down to the wire [H✩T]
POSTED ON Jul 15, 2021 7:42:22 GMT
Razz Kingsman Avatar
[nospaces]

And it was confrontations like this that made him incredibly uncomfortable. He isn’t used to going against those above him. Honestly it still terrified him as the last time he confronted someone of power he got burned. Literally. [break][break]

”Clearly an important one if I felt I can’t just go to just anyone,” because how does he explain that he is afraid of being looked into? Afraid of becoming like and recognized for his work in the Rangers to be as high as he was. Afraid of someone looking into his background and finding something not right. [break][break]

Though what comes next hurts more, because it shows Razz just how much the other doesn’t understand. “Laurence, I am grateful to the Rangers for everything, and I went to you when I felt it mattered. Like the Blackout of Slateport, or when I reported to you about the Megalopians in the desert. Sir my gallade died so I could help save you. [break][break]

He tells himself that he’s not bitter about that but honestly he isn’t always sure. ”And yet you’re hurt about one personal issue I don’t feel comfortable talking about? [break][break]

You’re still above me, I still do Ranger duties. The only difference is a different paycheck and dispatcher,”
plus the Silph Co logo that was embroidered onto the other arm of his Ranger Uniform but the job hadn’t changed. “It's not a big deal”

[break][break]

+ // H✩T Battle [break]
+

close tab

played by

Ven

Lars
he / him / his
thirty-two
july 26
Sootopolis, Hoenn
don’t know, don’t care
ranger & courier
ex-head ranger
tonight
1210 height
1210 height
nessuno vince.
awards
3,796 posts
part of
TAG WITH @lars
Laurence Anderson
down to the wire [H✩T]
POSTED ON Jul 19, 2021 9:05:38 GMT
Laurence Anderson Avatar

He sighed.

“Razz, how many times do I have to tell you, it’s—” he began as he pinched the bridge of his nose. Snow cone long gone, he was left with a wet paper cup that he crumpled in his fist for now.

Another sigh, this one quieter than the last, escaped him.

“Look—if you can’t tell me as your boss, the least you can do is… you do know that I’m not the same person when I’m outside the Ranger Headquarters, right?” he tried again a few moments later.

“I gave you and Sky those wayfinders for a reason.”

There was another tirade on the tip of his tongue but he stopped himself from saying it as he took another deep breath to calm himself down.

“If you can’t approach me as your boss, you also have the option of approaching me as… just me. Not as a fellow Ranger, but as another person. As—me. As… Lars.”

Why was the younger man so uptight, anyway?

And of all people it had to be the one he was wary about…