mistralton, unova
demisexual
battle academy teacher
civillian
kris flynn-edwards
divorced
60 height
60 height
i used to dream in the dark of palisades park.
awards
264 posts
part of
TAG WITH @thea
Alethea Ivanova
good day bad day
POSTED ON Jul 10, 2021 17:32:33 GMT
Alethea Ivanova Avatar
He pushes the remote back towards her. She feels her cheeks warm with unease, but she reluctantly begins to flip through the selections presented on their streaming service.

At first, nothing really stands out. Most become a blur of pictures and familiar faces. But eventually, combined with the warmth Rory offers as he leans toward her, something sparks interest. Unfortunately, not for the best of reasons.

It depicts a sick child surrounded by her parents in a hospital background.

close tab

played by

awards
0 posts
Deleted DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @Deleted
Deleted
good day bad day
POSTED ON Jul 10, 2021 17:55:54 GMT
Deleted Avatar
[attr="class","pizzabox"]
[attr="class","top"]
his mind wanders when she takes a moment to flick through a multitude of options. naturally, it returns to the hospital, to his work, to all the patients, and to one in particular.

unbeknownst to thea, earlier that day he also had a sick child as one of his patients, and just like the movie that plays out in front of them, he also had to tell them they were dying.

it's for that reason only that he clears his throat, awkward as he looks away.

"i'll be right back; just going to check on the pizza."

[newclass=".pizzabox"]--accent:#d49736; [/newclass]
[newclass=".pizzabox blockquote"]width:350px; margin:0px auto; font-size:12px; line-height:15px; border-radius:0px 0px 10px 10px; border-top:none; padding:30px 70px; [/newclass]
[newclass=".pizzabox blockquote b, .pizzabox blockquote i"]color:var(--accent) [/newclass]
[newclass=".pizzabox .top"]background-color:var(--accent); padding:10px; height:15px; background-image:url(https://image.ibb.co/dMFuMc/flower.png); background-repeat:no-repeat;background-position:bottom right; width:470px; margin:0px auto; border:1px solid #232323; [/newclass]
close tab

played by

castaway

thea
she/her
twenty-eight
january 1
mistralton, unova
demisexual
battle academy teacher
civillian
kris flynn-edwards
divorced
60 height
60 height
awards
264 posts
part of
TAG WITH @thea
Alethea Ivanova
good day bad day
POSTED ON Jul 10, 2021 18:00:33 GMT
Alethea Ivanova Avatar
It takes an excruciating amount of time for her to look away from the screen.

It takes Rory rising from his seat to announce his departure.

It takes her hands shaking when he leaves and the wash of grief to pass over her.

It takes an incredible amount of strength and courage, too.

But she does flick past it to something happier, something about a young couple in love.

She presses play and hesitates a long time before rising from the sofa to find him.

close tab

played by

awards
0 posts
Deleted DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @Deleted
Deleted
good day bad day
POSTED ON Jul 10, 2021 18:29:28 GMT
Deleted Avatar
[attr="class","top"]
the kitchen proves to be a lifeline, allowing him to breathe as he steps into its threshold. the movie plays in the background, still loud enough to reach him, but he soon finds a distraction.

even after checking the pizza, which still has about ten minutes to go, he chooses to stay in the kitchen, finding comfort in solitude.

it isn't until he hears her footsteps that he snaps out of it. he clears his throat, sipping what's left of the wine.

"hey. it'll be ready in about eight minutes."

[newclass=".pizzabox blockquote"]width:350px; margin:0px auto; font-size:12px; line-height:15px; border-radius:0px 0px 10px 10px; border-top:none; padding:30px 70px; [/newclass]
[newclass=".pizzabox blockquote b, .pizzabox blockquote i"]color:var(--accent) [/newclass]
[newclass=".pizzabox .top"]background-color:var(--accent); padding:10px; height:15px; background-image:url(https://image.ibb.co/dMFuMc/flower.png); background-repeat:no-repeat;background-position:bottom right; width:470px; margin:0px auto; border:1px solid #232323; [/newclass]
close tab

played by

castaway

thea
she/her
twenty-eight
january 1
mistralton, unova
demisexual
battle academy teacher
civillian
kris flynn-edwards
divorced
60 height
60 height
awards
264 posts
part of
TAG WITH @thea
Alethea Ivanova
good day bad day
POSTED ON Jul 10, 2021 18:37:40 GMT
Alethea Ivanova Avatar
On her way over, she seeks the half empty bottle. His is nearly empty and the night is still young. They haven't even begun eating.

Perhaps that should indicate something.

Regardless, the woman gestures to refill his glass, her other hand steadying the one holding his glass.

"How was your day, love?"

Shes speaking genuinely, moving close to him. Thea rests her cheek against his arm, holding him close.

He smells like pizza dough.

close tab

played by

awards
0 posts
Deleted DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @Deleted
Deleted
good day bad day
POSTED ON Jul 10, 2021 19:20:59 GMT
Deleted Avatar
[attr="class","top"]
"it was...something. tiring, i think."

even now rory still can't bring himself to admit it. he leans into her touch, relishing the warmth she provides.

"jamie's cancer has progressed. he has about six months, maybe a year."

his voice falters for a moment and he clears his throat in an attempt to hide it. a hand reaches up to hold her, seeking comfort.

a smile lingers, bare at best.

"he read me his bucket list today."

close tab

played by

castaway

thea
she/her
twenty-eight
january 1
mistralton, unova
demisexual
battle academy teacher
civillian
kris flynn-edwards
divorced
60 height
60 height
awards
264 posts
part of
TAG WITH @thea
Alethea Ivanova
good day bad day
POSTED ON Jul 11, 2021 14:28:01 GMT
Alethea Ivanova Avatar
"Hmm.."

She nods along, listening and present. Rory leans into her and she squeezes, free hand rubbing his back to soothe.

The mention of Jamie brings nothing but grief to the surface, but she masks it all the same. She puts on a brave face, stares deep into the oven to watch the dough rise and the cheese bubble.

But she does not miss the way her lovers voice falters. She does not miss the sadness in his voice and the way he breaks just a little bit.

He holds her in return and she rests her cheek against his chest, tucking herself against him side by side. Wrapped up in each other's arms, offering comfort and a sense of peace.

"That must have been hard, Rory, I'm so sorry. Is there anything I can do, or we can do? From.. his list?"

close tab

played by

awards
0 posts
Deleted DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @Deleted
Deleted
good day bad day
POSTED ON Jul 11, 2021 15:48:03 GMT
Deleted Avatar
[attr="class","top"]
rory shakes his head.

"nothing he won't be doing with his parents."

still, he wishes he could do more.

"i just...can't imagine what it must feel like—

a pause.

—to lose a child."

close tab

played by

castaway

thea
she/her
twenty-eight
january 1
mistralton, unova
demisexual
battle academy teacher
civillian
kris flynn-edwards
divorced
60 height
60 height
awards
264 posts
part of
TAG WITH @thea
Alethea Ivanova
good day bad day
POSTED ON Jul 11, 2021 16:26:52 GMT
Alethea Ivanova Avatar
Guilt rises like a tidal wave, threatens to drown her, threatens to spill over and drown him, too. It's too real. It's too strong.

She sucks in a sharp breath, barely staying afloat. Her fingers bite into his arm, holding onto him like a lifeline. His words echo in her mind, repeating themselves over and over and over.

He couldn't imagine what it must feel like to lose a child- but she could. She had.

Losing Noah never got easier because she wouldn't let it. Not that there was any linear path to recovering from something like that, that there was any right or wrong way to grieve.

But what she was doing certainly wasn't ideal.

"... I do."

Her voice is quiet, strained. It feels like she's fighting for air.

close tab

played by

awards
0 posts
Deleted DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @Deleted
Deleted
good day bad day
POSTED ON Jul 11, 2021 16:39:13 GMT
Deleted Avatar
[attr="class","top"]
this time, rory notices the subtleties and from them births a myriad of thoughts and concerns that feels overwhelming.

so he breathes, muttering a question in hopes it'd ground him.

"you do?"

it does anything but.

close tab

played by

castaway

thea
she/her
twenty-eight
january 1
mistralton, unova
demisexual
battle academy teacher
civillian
kris flynn-edwards
divorced
60 height
60 height
awards
264 posts
part of
TAG WITH @thea
Alethea Ivanova
good day bad day
POSTED ON Jul 11, 2021 16:53:20 GMT
Alethea Ivanova Avatar
She nods, her throat tight and her emotions turbulent.

"I told you that I was married before I met you. What I.. didn't.. tell you, Rory, is that I'd.."

Nausea forces her to take a breath. She inhales and exhales, trying to gather her thoughts. It doesn't really occur to her that he might have jumped to separate conclusions.

"I had a baby with him, but.. Noah was really sick. He was barely a year old, and the doctors said there was nothing they could do, nothing I could have done."

She chews the inside of her lip, blinking away tears. Guilt gnaws away at her, guilt surrounding her sons suffering, guilt for not telling Rory. Since losing her son, she'd never tried again. She hadn't heeded the doctors warnings the first time, that she was unfit to carry and there could be complications.

But she was listening now.

close tab

played by

awards
0 posts
Deleted DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @Deleted
Deleted
good day bad day
POSTED ON Jul 11, 2021 17:33:28 GMT
Deleted Avatar
[attr="class","top"]
no one should have to go through that.

not jamie,

"i am..."

not his parents,

"...so sorry, thea."

and not her.

rory shifts, turning to pull her into an embrace.

"i truly am."

close tab

played by

castaway

thea
she/her
twenty-eight
january 1
mistralton, unova
demisexual
battle academy teacher
civillian
kris flynn-edwards
divorced
60 height
60 height
awards
264 posts
part of
TAG WITH @thea
Alethea Ivanova
good day bad day
POSTED ON Jul 11, 2021 17:44:29 GMT
Alethea Ivanova Avatar
Piece by piece, little by little, Rory peels back her layers.

Two years, and she'd kept so much from him. Kept it bottled up and hidden because she was too afraid of him seeing the kind of person that she was: selfish, unstable, unlovable.

And yet he pulls her into him anyway. He says he's sorry, like any of this is his fault.

He wasn't the one who had told her that her child was dying. He wasn't the one in the hospital room when she had been only a month or two pregnant, warning her that she should let the baby go.

But she knew a part of him blamed him anyway. How fucked up was that?

Thea exhales warm air into his chest, burying her cheek in the soft fabric of his shirt. He smells like their laundry, like pizza sauce, like their home. She sobs, surrendering that pain for just a moment, because selfishness is the only thing she knew.

close tab

played by

awards
0 posts
Deleted DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @Deleted
Deleted
good day bad day
POSTED ON Jul 11, 2021 18:08:06 GMT
Deleted Avatar
[attr="class","top"]
years of training, years of practice, and he still finds himself lost. they taught him to understand, to analyze, but they never quite taught him to comfort.

it's an inherently human trait, so why does it come so difficult?

she sobs into him, and he's speechless.

close tab

played by

castaway

thea
she/her
twenty-eight
january 1
mistralton, unova
demisexual
battle academy teacher
civillian
kris flynn-edwards
divorced
60 height
60 height
awards
264 posts
part of
TAG WITH @thea
Alethea Ivanova
good day bad day
POSTED ON Jul 11, 2021 18:12:44 GMT
Alethea Ivanova Avatar
He doesn't really need to say anything. There's nothing he can possibly say to heal the hurt in her heart, at least, nothing that she hasn't already heard before.

The smell of the pizza in the oven catches her off-guard, and as if practiced, Thea's crying ends abruptly.

"Rory.. th-the pizza. I think it might be burning."

Her voice hitches partway through, breathless. She pulls away from him to peek over her shoulder. It isn't by any means unsavable, but it is certainly a little crispier than either of them probably anticipated.

In the other room, the television continues to play the movie.