pacifilog, hoenn
big homo
housewife
beast
you are my
church tonight
6'2" height
6'2" height
i used to dream in the dark of palisades park.
awards
2,598 posts
part of
TAG WITH @temp
Tempest Quinn
hen's tooth
POSTED ON Jul 23, 2021 8:08:00 GMT
Tempest Quinn Avatar
There is a terrible crack when the Lucarios strikes Chu-e.

The other half of the crystal would drop and slide under a desk, forgotten for the moment.

Something is awake.

Chu-e falls to his hands and knees, shaking. Head down, at this angle wouldn't be able to see but the edge of his face. A few slivers of skin under clothes.

That's when the crackling starts.

A wracking series of coughs overtakes him, splattering blood on the floor. Gavin may not notice, now, how it sparkles in the light. He may be distracted by something else.

Chu-e's skin is shifting.

Black crystals flicker and expand, rupturing and coating his skin in rippling waves. Feeling him out. Testing limits.

His breathing is ragged. Chu-e, slowly, pushes himself back to his feet. Face, hands, eyes- black and slick and shimmering. The crystal facade blinks- then it pulls away, back into flesh, leaving Chu-e behind as if it was never there at all.

Something still isn't right, though. Chu-e's eyes, when he looks down at Gavin now, are vacant. Not dead, not like before. Whatever is looking at Gavin right now isn't Chu-e but... it's not the thing inside of him either. Not yet.

He wobbles, unsteady, then turns and leaves.

The blood on the ground crunches underfoot.

-

--

---

--

-

The other Underboss and his parasite had only been out of the room a few minutes when Temp shoulders in.

His eyes are wild, panic lacing him before he spots Gavin on the ground.

When a magic whale yells at you in your mind to do something, you do it.

"Gavin!"
close tab

played by

thorn

Gavin Merlino
he/him
october 28th
circhester, galar
demisexual
the harbinger
underboss
creatures of habit, carrion flowers, growing from repeated crimes.
awards
7,865 posts
part of
TAG WITH @gavin
Cillian Quinn
hen's tooth
POSTED ON Jul 23, 2021 8:30:56 GMT
Cillian Quinn Avatar
Run.

Instinct screams at him but Gavin's limbs are heavy, his lids heavier — eyes slip closed for a moment before a guttural snarl from Lucario sounds directly in his ear. He jolts, eyes wide and unfocused as they slide over his fellow underboss, his friend.

Only it's not his friend anymore, is it?

His skin isn't supposed to be dark, shimmering crystal. That sound, that horrible fucking sound like splintering ice or snapping bone—

The thing that is not turns to look at him with vacant eyes and Gavin lets out a strangled sound between a gasp and a groan. Run, his mind screams but his muscles won't cooperate and this is surely where he's going to die, at the hands of one of the people he'd trusted the most. He's too exhausted to appreciate the irony, his thoughts a haze of pain and fear.

Lucario growls. It's standing over him, protective, as 'Chu-e' turns to leave.

The next thing Gavin registers is the sound of his name, a voice that registers familiar. He groans but doesn't open his eyes.

would be met by a Lucario that was for once frantic rather than repulsed, the canine letting out a sharp bark when another enters the room. As if attempting to communicate, it gestures at its fallen trainer and fires off a HEAL PULSE before shaking its head.
close tab

played by

yams

temporary
he/him
may 3rd
pacifilog, hoenn
big homo
housewife
beast
you are my
church tonight
6'2" height
6'2" height
awards
2,598 posts
part of
TAG WITH @temp
Tempest Quinn
hen's tooth
POSTED ON Jul 23, 2021 8:58:02 GMT
Tempest Quinn Avatar
There is an ice cold flare of heat down Temps' spine when he really takes in .

Oh god, he's dead. rings in his mind as he drops to his knees beside Gavin. He half ignores the Lucario, barely knows how he absorbs what it's trying to explain, his fingers going for pulse points and checking for any obvious wounds or signs of trauma.

"Oh god." His hand presses against the wound on his hide, where Chu-e had tried to gut him.

Temp is kind of freaking the fuck out. He's not a doctor and even he can see this is really fucking bad. He also knows that, right now, he can't help him and needs to get Gavin somewhere else.

"Clear a path!" While Lucario is not his pokemon, he grits out the order as he shifts his weight to a squat. Gavin is completely manhandled, up onto Temp's shoulders in a fireman's carry. Gavin's heavy but Temp is fueled by adrenaline as he books it towards the infirmary.
close tab

played by

thorn

Gavin Merlino
he/him
october 28th
circhester, galar
demisexual
the harbinger
underboss
awards
7,865 posts
part of
TAG WITH @gavin
Cillian Quinn
hen's tooth
POSTED ON Jul 23, 2021 9:20:37 GMT
Cillian Quinn Avatar
Gavin's pulse is weak; he's all but unresponsive as flutters over him. The knife is still jammed against his ribs, the only thing stopping him from bleeding out even faster.

It shifts when Temp lifts him, and Gavin blacks out.

He wakes to the hum of medical equipment and the rhythmic beep of a heart monitor. The air smells sharp and sterile and though drugs have numbed the worst of his pain, Gavin feels a dull ache above his hip. Bandages are wound tight around his bare torso and an IV drip is hooked into his hand.

His mouth is dry and tastes of iron.

He can't quite remember how he'd got here; his mind is clouded by medication and trauma.

His eyes open slowly, lids heavy, and he blinks as if struggling to focus.

"Temp?"

His voice rasps in his throat.
close tab

played by

yams

temporary
he/him
may 3rd
pacifilog, hoenn
big homo
housewife
beast
you are my
church tonight
6'2" height
6'2" height
awards
2,598 posts
part of
TAG WITH @temp
Tempest Quinn
hen's tooth
POSTED ON Jul 24, 2021 4:13:27 GMT
Tempest Quinn Avatar
The doctors hadn't let Temp stay. There was a part of him that wanted to fight and kick and stay with . In the end, though, he knew it was for the best not to get in their way. As satisfying it might be to clock them and stay by his friend's side, he wasn't that irrational.

That left him and the Lucario. Temp didn't have it's pokeball or anything. So, with nothing but time, he offered his hand to the blue canine and walked it down to the mess hall.

"Gavvie?"

Temp almost drops the knife in his hand. When Gavin was in that space between sleep and wakefulness, it would have been a steady 'shf, shf, shf' noise to join the beeping- a small knife slicing the skin off an apple in one long curl. On the bedside was water and a little plate of fruits; cut up and shaped in stars, hearts, rabbits, dolphins, flowers... it was clear that Temp had been at this a while.

What he had no was quickly placed down, his hands going to take one of Gavin's. He hoped that Gavin would forgive him for the traces of sticky juice still on his fingers.

"Take it slow. You need anything?"

Panic was laced in his laced in his voice along with his eagerness to please.
close tab

played by

thorn

Gavin Merlino
he/him
october 28th
circhester, galar
demisexual
the harbinger
underboss
awards
7,865 posts
part of
TAG WITH @gavin
Cillian Quinn
hen's tooth
POSTED ON Jul 24, 2021 5:35:27 GMT
Cillian Quinn Avatar
He's never liked hospitals; the risk of doctors asking too many questions weighed heavily on any visit. But even in his disoriented and heavily medicated state, a quick glance around the space reveals the metal sheen of the submarine's walls.

He exhales softly; when Temp takes his hand, he'd find his grip weak but relaxed.

What did he need? His brow furrows.

"Water," he croaks.

With his free hand, he gestures toward the water set on the bedside table; he can't reach it without pulling his other hand away. The grip is comforting, grounding.

"Can you...?"

He notices the bandages wound tight around his wrist, frowns.

"Chu-e," he remembers suddenly. His heart rate spikes. "Where—?"
close tab

played by

yams

temporary
he/him
may 3rd
pacifilog, hoenn
big homo
housewife
beast
you are my
church tonight
6'2" height
6'2" height
awards
2,598 posts
part of
TAG WITH @temp
Tempest Quinn
hen's tooth
POSTED ON Jul 24, 2021 10:23:55 GMT
Tempest Quinn Avatar
Temp is quick to act on the request. One hand stays in 's, the other grasps for the bottle of water. He twists the cap off with his teeth, spilling a bit on his pants, but more than reluctant to let the other go. For better or worse, in the end it does make it to to Gavin.

"'Chu-e'?" There is a visible moment of confusion before- "Choi? He's not... do you want me to go get him?" Gavin was Underboss, so maybe he really wanted his other Underboss present. It did seem like he had been attacked, after all. A traitor on the sub? An accident?

Before all that, though.

"Are you okay? What happened?"
close tab

played by

thorn

Gavin Merlino
he/him
october 28th
circhester, galar
demisexual
the harbinger
underboss
awards
7,865 posts
part of
TAG WITH @gavin
Cillian Quinn
hen's tooth
POSTED ON Jul 24, 2021 11:25:12 GMT
Cillian Quinn Avatar
Though some of the water is spilled between their efforts, Gavin sighs with relief as it soothes his dry throat.

That relief is short-lived. His eyes widen with the offer and he gives a sharp shake of his head. It sets his head spinning thanks to the drugs they've got him on but he can barely focus on that through the blind jolt of fear.

"No," he hisses, fingers clenching around 's own as tight as he can manage in his weakened state. "N-No, he—"

But how could he explain what had happened?

An anxious glance is cast around as if expecting reprimand before he drops his voice low and leans toward Temp.

"You can't tell anyone," he insists, knuckles white with the intensity of his grip. "Promise me."
close tab

played by

yams

temporary
he/him
may 3rd
pacifilog, hoenn
big homo
housewife
beast
you are my
church tonight
6'2" height
6'2" height
awards
2,598 posts
part of
TAG WITH @temp
Tempest Quinn
hen's tooth
POSTED ON Jul 25, 2021 16:45:29 GMT
Tempest Quinn Avatar
The reaction has a flare of anger surge bright and hot in Temp's chest.

Was he going to have to beat Choi's ass?

He squeezes back, uses his now free hand to brush hair out of Gavin's face and cup his cheek. Keep him steady.

"I'd die before I told anyone, Gavvie." Said low, deadly serious, a promise as well as a pledge. He keeps his eyes locked on 's and lifts his hand, doesn't resist the grip, to press a kiss to the back of his hand. A knight showing loyalty to his king.
close tab

played by

thorn

Gavin Merlino
he/him
october 28th
circhester, galar
demisexual
the harbinger
underboss
awards
7,865 posts
part of
TAG WITH @gavin
Cillian Quinn
hen's tooth
POSTED ON Jul 26, 2021 6:31:38 GMT
Cillian Quinn Avatar
Gavin notes the flare of anger behind ordinarily warm brown eyes — it floods him with something warm, the welcome thought of a protector before it's replaced by anxiety. If challenged , he'd lose.

His mouth opens but his thoughts are sluggish with the meds. His brow furrows in frustration as the words he wants to speak refuse to form themselves upon his tongue. Temp's fingers are gentle as they brush the hair from his eyes, cup his cheek; he leans into the touch, too weak to fight his own desires for comfort.

"No dying," he protests, mumbled.

Lips brush the back of his hand and his cheeks flush hot.

He takes another long drink of water to gather his thoughts, lest Temp rush out to assault his fellow underboss before Gavin can get the explanation out.

"He's not himself. There's something — wrong." That was a fucking understatement. "H-He attacked me, but it wasn't him."
close tab

played by

yams

temporary
he/him
may 3rd
pacifilog, hoenn
big homo
housewife
beast
you are my
church tonight
6'2" height
6'2" height
awards
2,598 posts
part of
TAG WITH @temp
Tempest Quinn
hen's tooth
POSTED ON Jul 27, 2021 7:29:07 GMT
Tempest Quinn Avatar
Temp doesn't argue with . The other is too weak for that. He would die for Gavin if he chose, if he thought it was what the other needed. Because, for some reason, Gavin was the person that Temp had practically imprinted himself on. The person who made him feel the most alive. It was because... well, fuck. He was thinking about it too much again.

Shying away from his own feelings as always, even when his heart lurched in his chest.

"It wasn't him?" Since Temp was, in the scheme of things, just a Grunt in this organization, one who was more an on-base worker than someone who did missions too, he didn't have a lot of pull or sway. He'd never met Underboss Choi. Had never needed to. Some might even see his relationship with Gavin as strange if they didn't know their history.

Temp doesn't know anything about crystallized alien gods.

"Was it.. someone pretending? Or uh... like, a pokemon?" Hadn't something like that happened with the commissioner, where some pokemon pretended to be here and killed someone?
close tab

played by

thorn

Gavin Merlino
he/him
october 28th
circhester, galar
demisexual
the harbinger
underboss
awards
7,865 posts
part of
TAG WITH @gavin
Cillian Quinn
hen's tooth
POSTED ON Jul 27, 2021 7:51:40 GMT
Cillian Quinn Avatar
"No, it was, but—"

So much for a coherent, straightforward explanation. He can barely think straight.

His fingers tighten their grip around 's hand as if to physically anchor the other, though in reality it would be incredibly easy to break that grip on account of Gavin's weakened state.

"This is gonna sound weird," is all the warning Temp gets before Gavin drops a bomb on him. "So I fought this thing in a wormhole last year. It's how I got my weird shadows. Anyway, I brought back some fragment of — fuck."

He cuts himself off, eyes wide with alarm.

"I-In the room, did you see...? It looks like a black rock—"

He's shifting as if with the intent of getting out of bed, injuries be damned, not caring how it causes the IV to tug against his arm.

close tab

played by

yams

temporary
he/him
may 3rd
pacifilog, hoenn
big homo
housewife
beast
you are my
church tonight
6'2" height
6'2" height
awards
2,598 posts
part of
TAG WITH @temp
Tempest Quinn
hen's tooth
POSTED ON Jul 28, 2021 4:01:24 GMT
Tempest Quinn Avatar
"It's alright." A thumb strokes under 's eye. "Take your time."

Temp listens but it just raises more questions than answers. If not for the panic, he would be convinced that Gavin is having some type of breakdown right now with all he's saying. Then again, there was the war with the aliens just last year...

At least the last thing he can help with.

"Ai!!" With maybe a little more force than is needed, given how weak the other is, he makes sure that he keeps himself in bed. No escaping!

"Whale Mama yelled at me to find something like that." Reaching into his pocket, the crystal is pulled out- complete with the perfect imprint of Chu-e's teeth.
close tab

played by

thorn

Gavin Merlino
he/him
october 28th
circhester, galar
demisexual
the harbinger
underboss
awards
7,865 posts
part of
TAG WITH @gavin
Cillian Quinn
hen's tooth
POSTED ON Jul 28, 2021 4:47:58 GMT
Cillian Quinn Avatar
shoves him back against the prison of his infirmary bed and Gavin definitely doesn't spare a drug-addled thought for the other's strength, how easy it is for Temp to overpower his escape attempt. A flicker of annoyance is offset by the flush of his cheeks.

Gavin grabs eagerly for the fragment, eyes wide.

"It didn't do anything to you? You didn't lick it or anything?"

Which is a very silly question but he seems entirely serious when he asks.

He tucks it the fragment against his scarred palm, adjusting to the new shape of it against his skin. He shivers as he remembers teeth of black crystal carving through the diamond-like material like it was butter.

"Lugia spoke to you?"

Belatedly, he registers the meaning of 'Whale Mama'.
close tab

played by

yams

temporary
he/him
may 3rd
pacifilog, hoenn
big homo
housewife
beast
you are my
church tonight
6'2" height
6'2" height
awards
2,598 posts
part of
TAG WITH @temp
Tempest Quinn
hen's tooth
POSTED ON Aug 2, 2021 7:18:18 GMT
Tempest Quinn Avatar
Even with 's fumbling fingers, Temp makes sure it rests in his hands. The thing creeps him out.

"No? Why would I lick a rock?"

Temp was pretty dumb but he wasn't that dumb.

Yet, given that it looks like someone chowed down on it, maybe the question isn't as silly as he thinks it is.

"'Spoke' is generous..." It had been a lot more like demanding and yelling. "She's how I knew to come find you."