CJ Mizikar Avatar
[nospaces]
[attr="class","cjheal"]
[attr="class","llppromised"]
[attr="class","llppromised1"]
[attr="class","llppromised2"]
[attr="class","llppromisedicon"]

[attr="class","llppromisedtitle"]you hear[break]the notes

[attr="class","llppromisedtitle2"]all those static codes in the radio abyss?

[attr="class","llppromisedblurb"]

The coffee served in Ranger headquarters was neither especially good or poor; it simply was. It was warm in a paper cup against CJ’s palm; it was a comforting smell circulating in the air; it was a constant of a tiring morning, that coffee, and the grounds scattered haphazardly across the counter. [break][break]

CJ took theirs mostly creamer with a fuck-ton of sugar; they didn’t know how took his, though; so they popped a lid on it and crammed Coffemate and sweetener packets into their pockets, and headed out of the caf, past a short line of shuffling zombies also up early to greet the burgeoning day. [break][break]

After their Mt. Pyre escapades-- Keldeo’s defeat, the stress, and the noise-- CJ had, more or less, been put in charge of Orion’s healing, partially because slapping silver nitrate over a gushing facial wound was not the preferred way to stabilize a compatriot. But CJ was adamant that the people who frowned on it hadn’t been there. They hadn’t seen Orion bravely, stupidly, amazingly launch himself face-first into a Shadow Pokemon and then smile at CJ through the spray of his own blood and ask for bandages. [break][break]

Fucks sake. [break][break]

CJ rounded the corner of the little infirmary room where they were to meet Orion to check on his face. They offered them the still warm paper cup of coffee, beige with the little green vines printed into its fibrous shell.[break][break]

“Peace offering,” they said, voice tired. “How do you feel?” [break][break]

[attr="class","llppromisedtag"]

PHARAOH LEAP CREATES

[googlefont=Poppins:300,400,800][googlefont=Hind:400,700,800]
[newclass=.llppromised]--promisedAccent:#111111;padding:9px;border:solid 1px #e5e5e5;background-color:#f9f9f9;width:425px;[/newclass]
[newclass=.llppromised1]padding:20px;background-image:url(https://image.ibb.co/cijxkS/dark_spots2.png);[/newclass]
[newclass=.llppromised2]padding:40px;background-color:#f9f9f9;color:#5f5f5f;text-align:justify;font:11px Hind;letter-spacing:.25px;line-height:19px;text-transform:uppercase;[/newclass]
[newclass=.llppromisedicon]float:left;height:60px;width:60px;padding:10px;border:solid 5px #ececec;margin-right:25px;[/newclass]
[newclass=.llppromisedtitle]padding-right:10px;font:35px Poppins;font-weight:700!important;letter-spacing:-.5px;color:var(--promisedAccent);line-height:30px;padding-bottom:25px;border-bottom:solid 5px #ececec;margin-bottom:25px;text-transform:uppercase;[/newclass]
[newclass=.llppromisedtitle2]font:800 8px Poppins;line-height:8px;letter-spacing:2px;text-transform:uppercase;margin-bottom:30px;text-align:center;[/newclass]
[newclass=.llppromisedblurb]text-transform:none;[/newclass]
[newclass=.llppromisedblurb b]color:var(--promisedAccent);font:400 13px Poppins;line-height:15px;letter-spacing:-.25px;padding:0px 3px;[/newclass]
[newclass=.llppromisedtag]margin-top:25px;display:flex;gap:10px;text-transform:uppercase;[/newclass]
[newclass=.llppromisedtag a]border:solid 5px #ececec;padding:10px;font:bold 8px Poppins;line-height:8px;letter-spacing:1px;color:var(--promisedAccent)!important;width:auto;display:block;transition:.5s;text-align:center;[/newclass]
[newclass=.llppromisedtag span]flex-grow:1;[/newclass]

[newclass=.cjheal .llppromised]--promisedAccent:#c08679;[/newclass]
close tab

played by

thorn

orion
he/him
thirty
august 9th
lilycove
homosexual
ranger
elite
i'll wreck this if i have to; tell me, what good would that do?
awards
1,144 posts
Orion Lykos DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @orion
Orion Lykos
distant war [c]
POSTED ON Mar 10, 2022 10:43:53 GMT
Orion Lykos Avatar
If CJ had received a bit of a tongue lashing for his emergency wound treatment, Orion had been verbally dismantled by their superiors. You're reckless, you put everyone else in danger, you're lucky we're keeping you on at all. That's what stung the worst. In all his years as a Ranger, he's never been in danger of losing his job.

Without it, who was he?

It's for that reason that the Orion Lykos that CJ encounters in the infirmary is noticeably subdued, unable to meet the gaze of his caretaker until a cup of coffee is pressed into his palm. Warm, grounding.

It reminds him, bizarrely, of when he'd been on the Council, and his secretary had always brought him coffee and wished him good morning and not seemed half as intimidated by him as he was of every one of his coworkers. He hasn't reached out to her since the accident. Her calls and e-mails have gone unanswered. He doesn't know what to say.

He hopes she's OK.

Dark brown eyes flick up to meet CJ's gaze for a heartbeat before he glances away, a thanks stuck in his throat. His lips part without sound and a a slosh of liquid from beneath the lid betrays the unsteadiness of Orion's hands as much as he tries to look stable and controlled.

"I—" can barely look at you without cringing, I'm so fucking sorry you have to deal with me, I wish I wasn't like this, I wish I still had my fucking arm "— I'm fine," he lies, unconvincing.

His face hurts, unsurprisingly, but that's the least of it.

close tab

played by

Ceej

cj
They/Them
May 18
Snowpoint City, Sinnoh
Pansexual
Menace
Cadet
oh, i was lost, but now i am found
awards
180 posts
CJ Mizikar DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @ceejay
CJ Mizikar
distant war [c]
POSTED ON Mar 19, 2022 17:41:55 GMT
CJ Mizikar Avatar
[nospaces]
[attr="class","cjheal"]

Orion looks bad. Scars aside, he looks bad. Eyes downcast, face pale. CJ feels for him, they really do. They know what it’s like to be on the brink of losing the most important thing in their lives. Difference was, CJ’s fingers still twinge from where Jeannie’s life was ripped forcefully from their grasp. Orion is still a Ranger, debriding aside. [break][break]

They make eye-contact for half a heartbeat-- a dub and not a lub-- and CJ hopes for half a second that maybe what Orion says is true. Maybe he IS fine. [break][break]

CJ may be an idiot, but they’re not stupid. [break][break]

“You don’t look fine,” CJ says. It’s supposed to be accusatory but just comes out sad. They sit on a chair a scooch across from Orion, watching him carefully. “I’m sorry I yelled at you,” they say, voice full of meaning, “you just… scared me.” I thought I was going to lose you. They are not lost on the innate selfishness of the sensation. [break][break]

Sure, maybe CJ and Orion didn’t know each other all too well prior to the Mt. Pyre disaster. But CJ had been put in charge of keeping the team on their feet, at the very least, and at the maximum out of their graves. [break][break]

They had a bad track record of losing friends and an even worse history of terrible choices afterwards. It was a dark road they never wanted to go down again. [break][break]

“What you did was very brave.”
[break][break]

PHARAOH LEAP CREATES

[newclass=.llppromised]--promisedAccent:#111111;padding:9px;border:solid 1px #e5e5e5;background-color:#f9f9f9;width:425px;[/newclass]
[newclass=.llppromised1]padding:20px;background-image:url(https://image.ibb.co/cijxkS/dark_spots2.png);[/newclass]
[newclass=.llppromised2]padding:40px;background-color:#f9f9f9;color:#5f5f5f;text-align:justify;font:11px Hind;letter-spacing:.25px;line-height:19px;text-transform:uppercase;[/newclass]
[newclass=.llppromisedicon]float:left;height:60px;width:60px;padding:10px;border:solid 5px #ececec;margin-right:25px;[/newclass]
[newclass=.llppromisedtitle]padding-right:10px;font:35px Poppins;font-weight:700!important;letter-spacing:-.5px;color:var(--promisedAccent);line-height:30px;padding-bottom:25px;border-bottom:solid 5px #ececec;margin-bottom:25px;text-transform:uppercase;[/newclass]
[newclass=.llppromisedtitle2]font:800 8px Poppins;line-height:8px;letter-spacing:2px;text-transform:uppercase;margin-bottom:30px;text-align:center;[/newclass]
[newclass=.llppromisedblurb b]color:var(--promisedAccent);font:400 13px Poppins;line-height:15px;letter-spacing:-.25px;padding:0px 3px;[/newclass]
[newclass=.llppromisedtag]margin-top:25px;display:flex;gap:10px;text-transform:uppercase;[/newclass]
[newclass=.llppromisedtag a]border:solid 5px #ececec;padding:10px;font:bold 8px Poppins;line-height:8px;letter-spacing:1px;color:var(--promisedAccent)!important;width:auto;display:block;transition:.5s;text-align:center;[/newclass]

close tab

played by

thorn

orion
he/him
thirty
august 9th
lilycove
homosexual
ranger
elite
awards
1,144 posts
Orion Lykos DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @orion
Orion Lykos
distant war [c]
POSTED ON Mar 19, 2022 18:01:08 GMT
Orion Lykos Avatar
Orion's had time to reflect on the situation, on the choices he'd made weighed against those he should have. He's also spent much of that time being scolded for putting his fellow Rangers in harm's way. So when CJ apologizes, Orion lets out a startled bark of laughter. It's a clipped, awkward thing ⁠— a product of discomfort, not amusement.

"You're sorry? You saved me from being turned into mincemeat by a shadow Pokemon, CJ, I think a little salt was warranted."

There's a lump in his throat as he remembers what recklessness might've cost him. Fafnir. And Vic's Dragonite, too, had been lost in the fighting. There's no way to know if he could've prevented it if he'd made different decisions... but, if anything, that uncertainty only makes him feel worse.

I'm not fine, he wants to admit, but it lodges in his throat.

"Brave?" He echoes the word, then shakes his head. "I didn't do it out of bravery, I just ⁠— I saw that thing standing over Cass and blanked out. I should've used her fucking pokeball, that's what they're for..."

But he hadn't, and here they were.

"Thanks. By the way." He can't look at them. "For helping me out. That was brave."

close tab

played by

Ceej

cj
They/Them
May 18
Snowpoint City, Sinnoh
Pansexual
Menace
Cadet
awards
180 posts
CJ Mizikar DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @ceejay
CJ Mizikar
distant war [c]
POSTED ON Mar 19, 2022 18:19:07 GMT
CJ Mizikar Avatar
[nospaces]
[attr="class","cjheal"]

They feel like they fucked up; Orion’s startled chuckle is the product of a cornered animal, not someone who is healing. CJ immediately feels guilty for spinning the story around and making it about them-- it isn’t. It’s about Orion. Orion at his core-- not his missing arm, not his dead Hydregion. [break][break]

It certainly isn’t about CJ and their buried guilt. [break][break]

They press their face into their palm and look out a nearby window. They’re a couple stories up, high in the canopy. A flock of Taillow go zooming by, chittering angrily at each other. Out of love. [break][break]

A flock of rangers on the side of a mountain. A dead bird in the maw of a predator. Feathers in the wind. [break][break]

“It was all bad,” they say, in defense of themselves-- and for Orion. “No one was thinking clearly.” No one got out unmarred. “It wasn’t anyone’s finest moment.” So stop feeling so bad about it. You didn't do anything wrong. [break][break]

They couldn’t say that. But what they did, they did together. [break][break]

“Is Cass okay?”

[break][break]

PHARAOH LEAP CREATES

close tab

played by

thorn

orion
he/him
thirty
august 9th
lilycove
homosexual
ranger
elite
awards
1,144 posts
Orion Lykos DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @orion
Orion Lykos
distant war [c]
POSTED ON Mar 25, 2022 18:33:54 GMT
Orion Lykos Avatar
It was all bad.

On that much, at least, they can agree.

That he hadn't been the only one to come out worse for wear makes him feel guilty, for the Ranger Elite were meant to lead by example. How were the cadets meant to learn if those examples were set by reckless fools like himself?

But he doesn't say that, because he gets the sense he's making CJ feel bad and doesn't want to make them feel worse.

"She will be," Orion says softly of Cass. "She'll be out of commission for a little while to make sure everything heals properly but it didn't hit anything vital and it won't affect her flight." That was the hardest part about keeping bird Pokemon used for battling, for the wrong sort of injury to a wing could cause permanent damage.

He finally looks over at CJ.

"Have you talked to Vic?" Orion hasn't been able to face any of their team since the incident, least of all. "I'm worried about him, after his Dragonite..."

He knew the pain of that loss. He was sharing it.

close tab

played by

Ceej

cj
They/Them
May 18
Snowpoint City, Sinnoh
Pansexual
Menace
Cadet
awards
180 posts
CJ Mizikar DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @ceejay
CJ Mizikar
distant war [c]
POSTED ON Mar 26, 2022 18:18:35 GMT
CJ Mizikar Avatar
[nospaces]
[attr="class","cjheal"]

CJ felt something snag in their throat and they took a sip of their coffee; the warmth soothed the ache, though, out of numbness, they didn’t really taste anything. “That’s good to hear, at least,” CJ said, voice cheering at the prospect of Cass’ health. They felt slightly guilty that their Pokemon, for the most part, came out unscathed. Well, Shae was beat to shit and well out of commission for a while, but she didn’t die. [break][break]

Which brought them to their next point…[break][break]

“I haven’t,” CJ said, regret a bitter boulder in their stomach. They wouldn’t know what to say if they did. Maybe if they’d acted faster, just told Fen to drop the mountain without waiting for permission, maybe things would have been different. Maybe Vic’s Dragonite might still be alive. Maybe Hailee wouldn’t have gotten hurt. Maybe… maybe…[break][break]

Maybe nothing would have changed, and they’d still be here walking around carrying a god-damned… guilt onion in their soul, just layers and layers of contrition buried in deep like a parasite that needed removal. [break][break]

“I’m worried about him, too,” CJ said, the but being left unsaid. But you, Orion, are more vulnerable than Vic; but you have also been through so much. But your life is the one I more-or-less saved and the one I’m more vested in. But I’m more worried about you. “He’s not the only one who… lost.” He’s not the only one who deserves care. [break][break]

So many things to say and no language to say them.

[break][break]

PHARAOH LEAP CREATES

close tab

played by

thorn

orion
he/him
thirty
august 9th
lilycove
homosexual
ranger
elite
awards
1,144 posts
Orion Lykos DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @orion
Orion Lykos
distant war [c]
POSTED ON Apr 1, 2022 23:28:18 GMT
Orion Lykos Avatar
It's not until he sees CJ take a sip of their coffee that Orion remembers his own. There's a pause between his brain catching up to the situation and his tense muscles finally unclenching, loosening the death grip on the paper cup and lifting it to his lips.

He makes a face. He'd entirely forgotten to put anything in it.

Idiot.

Turning red, hoping CJ won't notice, he removes the lid and starts to methodically pour the creamer and sugar that they'd thoughtfully provided into the cup. The sugar melts a little slower than it would have if Orion had thought to do this when the drink was still piping hot, and the creamer swirls to lighten the liquid within.

Orion is focusing much too hard on CJ's words, the subtle inflections of tone. He hears the unspoken but in the pause that follows, and thinks he understands where it's going before the other Ranger speaks.

Yep. Fafnir.

"It's part of the job," he tries to say, but his voice scrapes against his throat and breaks to betray him. Tears sting his eyes, and he looks away. He clears his throat, takes a sip of coffee. Tastes better, now. "I... I'll be all right."

But right now? His silence implies everything.

close tab

played by

Ceej

cj
They/Them
May 18
Snowpoint City, Sinnoh
Pansexual
Menace
Cadet
awards
180 posts
CJ Mizikar DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @ceejay
CJ Mizikar
distant war [c]
POSTED ON Apr 3, 2022 16:50:23 GMT
CJ Mizikar Avatar
[attr="class","sambam"]

CJ likes their own coffee 90% sugar. They don’t miss when Orion makes the mistake of drinking his straight. It’s a pretty good imitation of what their face does when they have the misfortune of drinking the unsweetened bean juice. They don’t say anything, because Orion is already having a bad enough day without CJ making fun of their taste preferences, but affectionate smile curls on their lips, and they feel okay for a heartbeat.

“It doesn’t make it any easier,” CJ says, with passion. “You’re allowed to feel things.” CJ’s therapist, in school, used to say feeling leads to healing; of course, that was back when the college paid for their mental healthcare. It was nice. It was brief.

“I know you’ll be alright, you goof,” they admonish, a gentle good-humor sneaking into their voice. They want to kneel down next to Orion and hug him, like a child acting who is acting tough. “You’re too strong not to be. But you’re allowed to not be alright right now and for as long as it takes. And if you need anything, I’m here.”

[newclass=.sambam] [/newclass][newclass=.sambam b] color: #d49736; [/newclass][newclass=.sambam i] color: #d49736; [/newclass][newclass=.sambam u] text-decoration: none;border-bottom: solid 1px #d49736; [/newclass][newclass=.sambam a] text-transform:uppercase!important;font:800 15px Poppins!important; [/newclass]
close tab

played by

thorn

orion
he/him
thirty
august 9th
lilycove
homosexual
ranger
elite
awards
1,144 posts
Orion Lykos DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @orion
Orion Lykos
distant war [c]
POSTED ON Apr 24, 2022 19:06:13 GMT
Orion Lykos Avatar
You're allowed to feel things.

It's an important message, and one Orion needs to hear. He's not used to allowing himself to feel. As a kid, he was supposed to put his family first. As a Ranger, he was meant to put the Pokemon first. And on the Council? There'd been an entire region whose problems superseded his own. But right now? No Pokemon are in danger, he hasn't spoke to his family in years, and he'd lost his position on the Council when Rocket had held him hostage.

You're allowed to feel.

His lip twitches with a bare attempt at a smile.

"Thanks, CJ. That means a lot."

His cheeks redden as he admits it, and he can't meet their eyes, but it's a start.

close tab

played by

SHIV

GONGAGER
he/him
October 13
GONGAGA
gongaga-romantic
gongager
gongago
me?
gongaga
808 height
808 height
WHERE ARE UNOVA REMAKES
awards
39,032 posts
shiv DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @shiv
shiv
distant war [c]
POSTED ON Oct 10, 2022 4:42:45 GMT
shiv Avatar
[nospaces]
[attr="class","TRAINER"]
[attr="class","omaccepted"]
[attr="class","omacceptedtop"]THREAD COMPLETE!

[attr="class","omacceptedmid"]

YOU RECEIVE THE REWARDS BELOW:[break]

[attr="class","omacceptedlinks"]
[attr="class","omacceptedlinks1"]TAGS: