6,592 posts
kyle lopez DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @kyle
kyle lopez
taistelu [ battle ]
POSTED ON Mar 7, 2019 15:03:08 GMT
kyle lopez Avatar
He finds himself smiling awkwardly at the words directed at him. Words of praise, no matter where they were from, always made him uneasy. Humbling himself down only worked when he knows he'll get in trouble for not doing so. His opinion is unchanged, but he decides to lighten up.

"Well, thanks," he starts to liven up. "Maybe I'm just a natural at this."

The role of a trainer usually included getting the Pokemon ready for a battle. All he did was fit the job description, and play in accordance to the situation set for himself. He merely adapted to it, setting up counters, instead of dictating the flow of the battle himself. He wasn't so sure if he could be on the other side when it came to real battles.

"I don't really battle," he starts to answer the inquiry nervously. "It's a basic necessity for this line of job, I guess, so there's that, but I can't really find myself in the competitive part of it on my own volition. But-"

He stops himself, realizing that he was just starting to discredit himself, something that the gym leader had already pointed out.

"But I've been training them since Slateport, I guess."

close tab

played by

noodles

devon
he/him
twenty-nine
june 12
rustboro
straight
advisor
ex-champion
406 height
406 height
i used to dream in the dark of palisades park.
awards
1,893 posts
part of
TAG WITH @stone
ALEXANDER STONE
taistelu [ battle ]
POSTED ON Mar 8, 2019 3:10:26 GMT
ALEXANDER STONE Avatar
alexander cannot quite place his finger on it, but there's something about the cadet that interests him. maybe the cadet is right; maybe he just is a natural at this. as a gym leader, he's heard young challengers spout that line a lot and while most of them have no validity saying so, the cadet has some, maybe even enough for alexander to believe him.

"i hear the league is looking for a new champion. i have not seen your other pokemon, but if they are as well-trained as your mightyena is, then you have a good chance at the title. maybe not now, but eventually."

high praise coming from a man who rarely gives it. his eyes shift to the two at the side waiting for their battle and he notices how nervous they look. that's the difference between regular trainers or even league officers and the cadet that stands in front of him.

"where are you stationed, cadet? and it's kyle, correct?"

close tab

played by

aero

dog boy
he/him
october 24
verdanturf
asexual
private investigator
champion
Join my dream it's just the right time, woah
awards
6,592 posts
kyle lopez DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @kyle
kyle lopez
taistelu [ battle ]
POSTED ON Mar 8, 2019 8:06:08 GMT
kyle lopez Avatar
The only notable Pokemon that makes up his core team that he could think of were his other Mightyena, but Kyle decides against mentioning that after finding such information unnecessary.

"I hope that's not just you teasing me," he questions bluntly, brow raising at his statement. The slight upward curve of his lips suggests Kyle wasn't taking it seriously. "Besides, spotlight doesn't suit me. Maybe eventually, then."

The last time he had entertained the thought of becoming a champion was way back during his childhood, but that simply was to spite a friend who shared the same goal. Anyone who has known him personally wouldn't pin him as someone who fits the position, even if he had the skills to support the claim. There was no harm in humoring it however.

"Y-Yes. Kyle Lopez, sir."

He wonders where this line of questioning will lead to. It piques his interest. Kyle adjusts his posture, taking away any physical signs of nervousness he had shown earlier from his stature.

"Currently Petalburg. They keep reassigning me though."

close tab

played by

noodles

devon
he/him
twenty-nine
june 12
rustboro
straight
advisor
ex-champion
406 height
406 height
awards
1,893 posts
part of
TAG WITH @stone
ALEXANDER STONE
taistelu [ battle ]
POSTED ON Mar 8, 2019 8:51:44 GMT
ALEXANDER STONE Avatar
just the very idea of being champion is surely a dream many have had at some point, alexander included. to hold such an honored and respected title, to have the whole region look up to you for advice and leadership, that is the dream. in cadet lopez's words: maybe eventually.

for now, alexander is more than content with where he is at. what he is not content with, however, is where the entire region is at: in utter dismay, left to rebuild and strengthen after just one attack by rocket.

"i will see if i can reassign you to be stationed in rustboro. your expenses and accommodation will be covered for and you would be reporting directly to me." he pauses. "as an officer."

not a gym trainer, but an officer of the league, tracked to be a rising star.

"if that is something you want, of course."

close tab

played by

aero

dog boy
he/him
october 24
verdanturf
asexual
private investigator
champion
awards
6,592 posts
kyle lopez DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @kyle
kyle lopez
taistelu [ battle ]
POSTED ON Mar 8, 2019 12:03:44 GMT
kyle lopez Avatar
"You're, uh, serious about this, right?"

This was not what he had in mind when he came in here for an impromptu match. He thought their skills were only going to be tested to see whether the current lackeys of the league were competent. Offers for promotion were always turned down before. This one, however, had other conditions attached to it. It somehow made him feel uneasy. Perhaps it simply feels weird to get someone interested in him.

The offer brings stability to his current work conditions, however, and most importantly, makes him closer his hometown. It hints of better living conditions, but it wasn't like Kyle complained about his current one. It would be impractical to let it go.

"I'm just a cadet. The higher ups always had the jurisdiction over where we get assigned. I believe you don't even need my consent to get it approved."

If Alexander really willed it, he could get assigned to Rustboro even without his consent. This simply was an act of goodwill, he is inclined to believe. Trust was necessary to build relationships, and if he was to work under him, it was only natural for the gym leader to start working on it.

"...but I wouldn't be opposed to those conditions, I suppose," he indirectly accepts.

close tab

played by

noodles

devon
he/him
twenty-nine
june 12
rustboro
straight
advisor
ex-champion
406 height
406 height
awards
1,893 posts
part of
TAG WITH @stone
ALEXANDER STONE
taistelu [ battle ]
POSTED ON Mar 11, 2019 4:28:56 GMT
ALEXANDER STONE Avatar
"i am."

cadet lopez is right when he says alexander doesn't need his consent to get the transfer approved. alexander, as gym leader, is free to move personnel as he sees fit as long as there is balance. the process normally takes weeks, sometimes months, but given the circumstances that come after slateport and also 's support, it only takes a day or two.

"i do not. but, i need you to trust me and vice versa, i need to be able to trust you, and i cannot do that if i were to force you to work for me."

at cadet lopez's next few words, a smile grows on alexander's face. it's an indirect acceptance to which he shakes his head at, but it also lets him know that there is room to grow and develop. from the battle, he already has a few things to share with the cadet.

so, alexander extends a hand out.

"good. looking forward to working with you, officer lopez."

close tab

played by

aero

dog boy
he/him
october 24
verdanturf
asexual
private investigator
champion
awards
6,592 posts
kyle lopez DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @kyle
kyle lopez
taistelu [ battle ]
POSTED ON Mar 11, 2019 16:41:26 GMT
kyle lopez Avatar
Officer Lopez...

It had a nice ring to it, but it felt weird hearing it. It wasn't official yet, but he knew it wouldn't take long for it to be processed. Soon enough, he'll be hearing more of it. Perhaps he just needed to get used to it for it to start sounding normal to his ears.

He should have thought of it more, but it would be foolish to take his word back. He knew he was long overdue for a promotion, but it wasn't like he wanted one in the first place. Complacency was a negative thing though, at it was something that he needed to get rid of. He hoped this would be a step towards that goal.

"Likewise."

He returns the handshake. It seems that he needs to up his professionalism from that point onward.

img
The Shula Region
Hogwarts AU
RPG Unlimited
MR
The Enroi Region
N:FB
Vyrehaven
Celestial Guardians, AU Sailor Moon RP