1,558 posts
Callan Young DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @toppa
Callan Young
swear to my bones | mission
POSTED ON Apr 20, 2022 13:25:23 GMT
Callan Young Avatar
Callan speared the last of the tent poles to the ground, with a little bit of help from his newfound partner Heracross. There is lighting, adequate room, and a couple of chairs outside. Usually Callan disliked night shifts, but this one was more than fine. The entire forest had been decked in a thing sparkling dust of gold, it was quiet, save for the chirping of Ledian getting it on. And he and Lars had been stationed somewhere near a protected breeding ground.

Callan had set up a camp for them, since it was going to be a late night shift, they may as well have as much comfort as one could afford: a couple of camping chairs, a decent box box of late night snacks: crisps, cookies, instant cup noodles, a tankard of piping hot water for tea, coffee and food. The camp itself was illuminated by chargeable batteries, though not overtly bright as to disturb the local environment. Usually there were going to be predators around this time of the year for breeding as it was inevitable, but they'd only really need step in if there was something problematic occurring.

Hopefully, it'd remain peaceful.

Callan rested himself on the chair, staring into the endlessly tall trees, as flecks of glowing dust floated in the air around him. He tried not to think about the fact that it was technically Ledian spunk he was seeing. "Remember our first mission with the Crystablooms?" He asked, "Hard to believe it's been just a few months, feel like I've been doing rangering forever."

| sparkling spawning

MADE BY MIZO
[googlefont=Playfair Display]
close tab

played by

Ven

Lars
he / him / his
thirty-two
july 26
Sootopolis, Hoenn
don’t know, don’t care
ranger & courier
ex-head ranger
tonight
is gonna be the loneliest
1210 height
1210 height
nessuno vince.
awards
3,790 posts
part of
TAG WITH @lars
Laurence Anderson
POSTED ON Apr 20, 2022 13:43:05 GMT
Laurence Anderson Avatar

To be fair, he wasn’t expecting to be called out for something this late. But then again, with his counterpart busy with fatherhood, he had to pick up the slack since the other was out on leave…

And he wondered if his friend had already done this before, because it involved Ledian and… well, damn this was going to be potentially embarrassing if they saw the actual Pokémon themselves in the middle of the mating—

“As long as we don’t see any of ‘em in the middle of the mating dance,” he said with a chuckle as he reached for the cup of ramen he’d set out to cook earlier. At least he knew how to eat with those… weird… stick things. Chopsticks? Yeah whatever those were, they weren’t exactly in much use back in Alto Mare but then again…

“Time flies when you’re doin’ the good shit,” he added as he popped the paper lid open and watched as a billowing hiss of hot air escaped the cup.

“And I brought tequila just in case, too,” he added with a chuckle as he tilted his head at the cooler that had ice in it.

close tab

played by

toppa

Supernova Shredder
He/Him
march 21
mauville city
heterosexual
music artist
Trainer
an anxious object
single
6’3” height
6’3” height
I’d rather watch your star explode
awards
1,558 posts
Callan Young DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @toppa
Callan Young
POSTED ON Apr 20, 2022 14:41:56 GMT
Callan Young Avatar
"Yeah no kidding." Callan replied in his casual chuckle, turning towards the bottle in Lars' hand. "Arceus, say less, let's open the bad boy up." While they didn't exactly have shot glasses in the middle of the campsite, they did have mugs, he had bought a couple cheap ceramic one from a thrift. He passed one over to Lars, as he open up a bag of potato crisps and dunked it into the open bowl. Callan grabbed the bottle from the ice box, carefully breaking the seal and uncorked it, pouring a snifter into both mugs. Since Lars was currently eating, Callan'd wait until he finished.

In the meantime, he tossed an extra stick of wood into the campfire in front, just to keep the flame going a bit longer. Callan paused for a moment, looking into the flames, before reaching to his guitar case to pull out his electric, beginning to tinker with a few riffs as heenjoyed the moment. "You ever had an S.O. Lars?" He asked, out of the blue, "I'm guessing you had to make a few choices when becoming Head Ranger, right?"

| SPARKLING SPAWNING

MADE BY MIZO
close tab

played by

Ven

Lars
he / him / his
thirty-two
july 26
Sootopolis, Hoenn
don’t know, don’t care
ranger & courier
ex-head ranger
tonight
1210 height
1210 height
nessuno vince.
awards
3,790 posts
part of
TAG WITH @lars
Laurence Anderson
POSTED ON Apr 20, 2022 14:55:59 GMT
Laurence Anderson Avatar

“That’s why I brought the tequila along, because no way in hell am I going to survive the evening with just black coffee,” he said with a chuckle of laughter.

And then he realized he forgot to bring the shot glasses. Whoops.

Thank Callan for having mugs, though!

While the other cracked the seal on the tequila bottle open, he preoccupied himself with the cup ramen he was working on, mixing it to make sure that everything was well-blended together.

As he’d taken another mouthful of noodles, he looked up. Ooh, that came completely out of left field.

“Well… had. I had a partner. But it’s been two years since they last sent contact. They left on a journey somewhere, they gather legendary tales and stories… two years without a single word? I’ve come to accept that they’re no longer around…”

That was—rough. But it was the truth.

“How about you?” he returned the question, before apologizing afterward. “Sorry if that’s a rough question for you…”

close tab

played by

toppa

Supernova Shredder
He/Him
march 21
mauville city
heterosexual
music artist
Trainer
an anxious object
single
6’3” height
6’3” height
awards
1,558 posts
Callan Young DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @toppa
Callan Young
POSTED ON Apr 20, 2022 16:08:19 GMT
Callan Young Avatar
Callan paused as he spoke about his past, "That's rough..." He admitted. Being ghosted was one thing, being completely cut off from a partner of yours was entirely another. He could imagine, given that's exactly how it felt for him for a good five years or so.

"Yeah I did. Have a kid too, but we're divorced now." Callan replied, "It took me a while to get out of that one too, I'm not much of a people person. Dating felt hollow, and part of me didn't want to admit that I was going to have to go the rest of my life not being able to feel that spark again. And another part of me was afraid to find out. Heartbreak, am I right?" He replied, changing the tune on his guitar. "But now I'm just more focused on my kid, than anything else. I just wanna be someone she doesn't forget, you know... six years down the line."

"Any plans on having kids on your end? Or you know, finding someone?"

| SPARKLING SPAWNING

MADE BY MIZO
close tab

played by

Ven

Lars
he / him / his
thirty-two
july 26
Sootopolis, Hoenn
don’t know, don’t care
ranger & courier
ex-head ranger
tonight
1210 height
1210 height
nessuno vince.
awards
3,790 posts
part of
TAG WITH @lars
Laurence Anderson
POSTED ON Apr 20, 2022 17:13:21 GMT
Laurence Anderson Avatar

At the mention of kids, he laughed.

“I have several younger cousins running around here, and apparently most of them have the same family situation: missing or misunderstood family situations. I haven’t the heart to tell one of them that their parents are… dead, because she wouldn’t understand…”

He was talking about , of course.

“And then another one of ‘em, literally a bum, crashing from time to time at my place, but she’s still pretty much a street rascal. Kind of hard to beat out of her…”

This one was , who knew what she was up to.

At least the last cousin he was thinking of (), at least, had a good head on their shoulders.

But who knew if there were more out there… knowing his mother, that was a big-ass possibility, since most Alto Mareans had big families, and she came from a pretty big family herself.

“I have no idea if I’d ever want to have kids, if I’m being completely honest with you,” he said after another mouthful of noodles down the hatch. “As for a partner? Maybe… but it really depends, especially since, well, I’m a part of something with the higher-ups.”

Was it time for him to reveal another secret?

close tab

played by

toppa

Supernova Shredder
He/Him
march 21
mauville city
heterosexual
music artist
Trainer
an anxious object
single
6’3” height
6’3” height
awards
1,558 posts
Callan Young DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @toppa
Callan Young
POSTED ON Apr 20, 2022 17:39:38 GMT
Callan Young Avatar
"Yeah, definitely not something that should be taken lightly." Callan replied, pausing his guitar, seems like the night was going well, nothing serious was going to happen to the Ledians. Thankfully, it was otherwise just an excuse to be able to camp out, if only all of the Ranger jobs were like this.

Callan paused, "Nothing you say will be repeated to me you know, but if it's classified, it's all good." He chuckled, putting away his guitar. Taking the mug, he looked into the first of a long night of drinking, but for now he did have to say something. "But yeah, I guess I wanted to say... part of the reason I brought it up was because before I met you and started taking my training seriously, I was mostly at home drinking myself to oblivion. I was just kinda content with fading away from the memories of what my family were." He pursed his lips, but then, it turned into a smile.

"So yeah, I wanted to say thanks, for everything." He raised a mug to Lars, "Cheers."

| SPARKLING SPAWNING

MADE BY MIZO
close tab

played by

Ven

Lars
he / him / his
thirty-two
july 26
Sootopolis, Hoenn
don’t know, don’t care
ranger & courier
ex-head ranger
tonight
1210 height
1210 height
nessuno vince.
awards
3,790 posts
part of
TAG WITH @lars
Laurence Anderson
POSTED ON Apr 20, 2022 17:48:35 GMT
Laurence Anderson Avatar

He was therefore—surprised to find out how much of an effect going through the entire process of being accepted into the Rangers had turned Callan’s life around, he had to put the (empty) cup bowl down.

“Well damn,” he remarked as he snapped up a couple of potato chips from the bowl and chewed on them.

Once he was done, though, he put the chopsticks down atop the empty paper bowl.

“Blink and you’ll miss it,” was all he was going to say Callan’s way before he held his right hand out and concentrated. Normally he would only conjure up that whenever he was in dire situations, but… well…

Slowly, surely, a small sphere of condensed, frozen energy began to appear between his fingers.

“Do you know anything at all about avatars?”

close tab

played by

toppa

Supernova Shredder
He/Him
march 21
mauville city
heterosexual
music artist
Trainer
an anxious object
single
6’3” height
6’3” height
awards
1,558 posts
Callan Young DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @toppa
Callan Young
POSTED ON Apr 21, 2022 3:01:10 GMT
Callan Young Avatar
Callan sipped on his tequila as Lars turned from generally uplifting to much more serious. He didn't exactly need to hear it, but if there was something on Lars' mind, he may as well listen. Callan watched with some degree of interest as Lars moved his hand.

Slowly, but surely, a small orb of energy began to float in between his palms. Callan's eyes widened, as he began to feel the chill of an everwinter breeze, but it was spring and they were in the midst of a forest. "That... is... one hell of a trick?" Callan spoke, it must have been an amazing mmagician's spell. "How's it work, is there some kinda air-conditioner in you arm or..." Callan looked closely, clearly, there was nothing there. It was a Pokemon move, but how on earth was Lars doing it?

His next question clarified it, somewhat. He had seen it in a file in the nrager records. "I've seen a file on it, I didn't know what it was though." Callan paused, then turned to Lars. "Are you telling me you're some kind of... Pokemon?"

| SPARKLING SPAWNING

MADE BY MIZO
close tab

played by

Ven

Lars
he / him / his
thirty-two
july 26
Sootopolis, Hoenn
don’t know, don’t care
ranger & courier
ex-head ranger
tonight
1210 height
1210 height
nessuno vince.
awards
3,790 posts
part of
TAG WITH @lars
Laurence Anderson
POSTED ON Apr 21, 2022 11:26:12 GMT
Laurence Anderson Avatar

At Callan’s remark, he burst out into a fit of laughter.

“Hell no,” he began, unable to stifle the noise.

“I’m not one of those… one of those… what do the young kids call ‘em… uhhh, those gi—gijin—something, whatever, those human-Pokémon fusion things…” he trailed off, waving his other hand in mid-air.

“Since you know a little about avatars, I’ll give you the straight and narrow: there are quite a number of people within the League—and yes, unfortunately even on Rocket’s side—that have connections to so-called legendary Pokémon.”

He finished the rest of the sentence in his head, …and I happen to be one of them.

As for the other man sticking it out with the Rangers?

“You know what—a lot of people think that the Rangers are a joke, that we’re just some little mish-mash of people who don’t get enough budget to cover our expenses—but I’m sick and tired of people just making a mockery of what we do. Without the Rangers, the other half of the League would be a mess, since they only know how to handle people versus people conflict, while we handle people against Pokémon—and nature. So, really, thank you.”

He then reached for the ‘mug’ of tequila and knocked back the contents in one go.

close tab

played by

toppa

Supernova Shredder
He/Him
march 21
mauville city
heterosexual
music artist
Trainer
an anxious object
single
6’3” height
6’3” height
awards
1,558 posts
Callan Young DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @toppa
Callan Young
POSTED ON Apr 21, 2022 14:03:27 GMT
Callan Young Avatar
Callan smiled in response, "Yeah I guess not." He wasn't exactly sure what Lars was referring to, but there were plenty of Pokemaniacs out there.

Regardless, it seemed that these avatars had some sort of power that was given to them. The fact that the Rockets had a few of them in their pocket as well somewhat disturbed him, but it didn't really surprise him too much. Much like humans, Pokemon too were different, and in that diversity there was bound to be some that preferred a different perspective.

As Lars down his mug, Callan took the tequila bottle and filled it up for both of them again. "Guess there's not much we can do, Commissioner's got her hands full, Rockets are just the most immediate threat for everybody that lives in cities. Silph's the one in charge of fundings." Callan stared into his mug, the campfire was warm, the lights in the air, the smell of instant ramen, a moment's reprieve, and in good company. This was all the necessary reward he needed.

"For me, it's the 'thank yous' that make the job." Callan replied, "You know, saving someone from a rock slide, rescuing a baby Togepi brood, finding lost Pokemon and watching the relief and joy coming from their trainer's faces." He paused, "Coming from bar work, this is a whole lot more rewarding than anything else. And I can sleep with the fact that at the end of the day, I did my best to protect the land I loved." He paused, raising his glass to Lars. "So here's to us, the mish mash, for keeping it all together."

| SPARKLING SPAWNING

MADE BY MIZO
close tab

played by

Ven

Lars
he / him / his
thirty-two
july 26
Sootopolis, Hoenn
don’t know, don’t care
ranger & courier
ex-head ranger
tonight
1210 height
1210 height
nessuno vince.
awards
3,790 posts
part of
TAG WITH @lars
Laurence Anderson
POSTED ON Apr 21, 2022 14:54:33 GMT
Laurence Anderson Avatar

The immoderate chuckling got even worse the moment Callan mentioned that Silph had the funding.

“I ain’t gonna be surprised that most of the budget goes to them directly,” he said with a grateful nod as the mug was topped up.

Next time, Lars, don’t forget the shot glasses!

When the other man mentioned the little things that made it all the more worthwhile, he fervently nodded.

“Hard same, man. Hard fucking same,” he agreed as he downed the contents of the mug. Admittedly much more than a shot glass, but holy shit he relished the burn of the alcoholic liquid.

In the background, thankfully, nothing too serious happened where the Ledian dust had been scattered all over the place, so tonight was definitely a quiet, peaceful watch.

“It’s the little things that make doing this all the more worthwhile,” he continued as he poured the last of the tequila in and knocked back the serving in one.

“To the mismatched ones.”

close tab

played by

SHIV

GONGAGER
he/him
October 13
GONGAGA
gongaga-romantic
gongager
gongago
me?
gongaga
808 height
808 height
WHERE ARE UNOVA REMAKES
awards
38,760 posts
shiv DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @shiv
shiv
POSTED ON Apr 23, 2022 8:56:44 GMT
shiv Avatar
[nospaces]
[attr="class","TRAINER"]
[attr="class","omaccepted"]
[attr="class","omacceptedtop"]MISSION COMPLETE!

[attr="class","omacceptedmid"]

YOU RECEIVE THE REWARDS BELOW:[break]

[attr="class","omacceptedlinks"]
[attr="class","omacceptedlinks1"]TAGS:
(RANGER)