TAG WITH @ollie
ollie morales
sparks [m] [p]
POSTED ON Jun 10, 2022 19:41:11 GMT
ollie morales Avatar
[nospaces]
[attr="class","oliver2top"]
[attr="class","oliver2"]

your twenties were supposed to the most exciting times in your life. you had all the intelligence and skills of an adult, yet all the freedom of a child. at least that was the way it was supposed to be, but no one ever talked about the hopelessness that people felt post-college, the directionless feeling university grad felt when they didn't know what to do.

[break][break] it was why ollie had decided to sign up to be a ranger. he'd always felt a pull towards helping people, but he'd never wanted to be a cop (cause fuck cops). plus, being a ranger sounded fun.

[break][break] he's called to his first training session on a mid-summer afternoon. bright-eyed, he walks to the small group of recruits and walks up to the closest one, nudging the other on the side. "hey, hope i'm not late. did i miss anything?"

[break][break] because, he was definitely late.

[break][break]

[attr="class","ooc"] [break]
commitment: act i
[break]

[newclass=".oliver2"]--accent:#FFB546; } .oliver2 { font-size:12px; letter-spacing:.5px; border-radius:0px; padding:40px 50px 50px; } .oliver2 b { color:var(--accent)!important; } .oliver2 i { color:var(--accent)!important; } .oliver2 u { border-color:var(--accent)!important; } .oliver2 .ooc { text-align:center;padding:20px 40px 20px 40px;border-top:1px solid #232323;margin-top:30px;margin-bottom:-45px; font:10px 'Poppins'; letter-spacing:1px; } .oliver2 .ooc a { color:var(--accent)!important; font:bold 13px 'Poppins'; text-transform:lowercase; } .oliver2 img { filter:grayscale(10%); [/newclass]
[newclass=".oliver2 .ooc img] background:transparent; float:none; border:none; box-shadow:none; padding:0px; margin:0px; [/newclass]
[newclass=".oliver2top"]width:438px;border-radius:0px;background-color:#FFB546;height:40px;background-image:url(https://image.ibb.co/dMFuMc/flower.png);background-repeat:no-repeat;background-position:center right;text-align:center;margin:0px -60px -50px 25px;padding-bottom:15px;border:solid 1px #232323;[/newclass]

close tab

played by

Ven

Lars
he / him / his
thirty-two
july 26
Sootopolis, Hoenn
don’t know, don’t care
ranger & courier
ex-head ranger
tonight
is gonna be the loneliest
1210 height
1210 height
nessuno vince.
awards
3,790 posts
part of
TAG WITH @lars
Laurence Anderson
sparks [m] [p]
POSTED ON Jun 11, 2022 17:55:41 GMT
Laurence Anderson Avatar

If there was one thing he… wasn’t exactly a fan of, it was the uniform.

Why in the Weather Trio’s name did it have to be a bright, flaming-hot orange?!

It was absolutely nothing like the Alto Marean version of the uniform, which was more subdued in hue—he’d been expressly forbidden from wearing that uniform and had to order the Hoennian version…

While it wasn’t so terribly hot, fact of the matter was that he looked like one of those orange things that people stuck or dropped around dangerous places…

“Naw, not really,” he remarked. Damn he was itching for a smoke right about now. But he knew he had to stick it out!

“Also… why in the hell is this uniform bright orange? What are we, traffic cones?!”

close tab

played by

milky

ollie, oliver
he/him
august 5
pallet town, kanto
bi (complicated)
evergrande
head ranger
everyone's a sucker for a taste of glory
awards
2,315 posts
part of
TAG WITH @ollie
ollie morales
sparks [m] [p]
POSTED ON Jun 11, 2022 18:00:41 GMT
ollie morales Avatar
[nospaces]
[attr="class","oliver2"]

personally, ollie loved the uniform. how could he not?! it was gold and orange, and totally his shade. it was super cool — almost cool enough for him to re-think the words that he'd said the way back then. because if the uniforms were nearly as cool in kanto, then it made sense why she'd want to sign up.

[break][break] almost being the key word. the morales were stubborn -- no way were they going to back on their word. even as petty as that sometimes was.

[break][break] "i like them!" he said, chipper - perhaps too chipper - for the dirty look that was sent his way when one of their squad leaders sent him a dirty look. lowering his voice, he said, "i think you look good too." he grinned, nudging the other.

[break][break] as soon as he spoke, however, the squad leader called out to him:

[break][break] "morales, anderson! anything you want to share with the class?"

[break][break] oops.

[break]

[newclass=".oliver2"]--accent:#FFB546; } .oliver2 { font-size:12px; letter-spacing:.5px; border-radius:0px; padding:40px 50px 50px; } .oliver2 b { color:var(--accent)!important; } .oliver2 i { color:var(--accent)!important; } .oliver2 u { border-color:var(--accent)!important; } .oliver2 .ooc { text-align:center;padding:20px 40px 20px 40px;border-top:1px solid #232323;margin-top:30px;margin-bottom:-45px; font:10px 'Poppins'; letter-spacing:1px; } .oliver2 .ooc a { color:var(--accent)!important; font:bold 13px 'Poppins'; text-transform:lowercase; } .oliver2 img { filter:grayscale(10%); [/newclass]
[newclass=".oliver2 .ooc img] background:transparent; float:none; border:none; box-shadow:none; padding:0px; margin:0px; [/newclass]
[newclass=".oliver2top"]width:438px;border-radius:0px;background-color:#FFB546;height:40px;background-image:url(https://image.ibb.co/dMFuMc/flower.png);background-repeat:no-repeat;background-position:center right;text-align:center;margin:0px -60px -50px 25px;padding-bottom:15px;border:solid 1px #232323;[/newclass]
close tab

played by

Ven

Lars
he / him / his
thirty-two
july 26
Sootopolis, Hoenn
don’t know, don’t care
ranger & courier
ex-head ranger
tonight
1210 height
1210 height
nessuno vince.
awards
3,790 posts
part of
TAG WITH @lars
Laurence Anderson
sparks [m] [p]
POSTED ON Jun 11, 2022 18:10:42 GMT
Laurence Anderson Avatar

“You should see the Alto—” he began in the same undertone before a loud voice shouted in their direction. Oh, fuck.

The look he could only give the squad leader was one of utter—

Well, if nobody else was going to talk about it, then why not he be the first?

Che palle, I have one complaint. Why do we look like walking traffic cones?” he remarked as he gestured at the outfit with both his hands, as if to prove a point.

He then cast a look around at the other members of the squad; who were either trying to look away from him out of sheer embarrassment, or trying to stop their laughter because—he did have a point!

Of all the colors, why bright orange?!

close tab

played by

milky

ollie, oliver
he/him
august 5
pallet town, kanto
bi (complicated)
evergrande
head ranger
awards
2,315 posts
part of
TAG WITH @ollie
ollie morales
sparks [m] [p]
POSTED ON Jun 11, 2022 18:21:11 GMT
ollie morales Avatar
[nospaces]
[attr="class","oliver2"]

oh shit. this guy had balls.

[break][break] ollie's eyes widened as his friend — 'cause they were totally friends now — raised his voice and spoke to the squadron leader. not only spoke to him, but complained.

[break][break] "er — because that's the uniform that our budget — wait traffic cones?" the man looked flustered, obviously, and hadn't expected a cadet to speak to him in such a manner. "anyway! as i was saying, morales and anderson, you two are a pair. whitlock and laurier. whites and monroe."

[break][break] ollie snickered under his breath.

[break][break] "each squad will participate in this exercise that we've set up for you. one tenant of being a ranger is trusting your partner — whether it be human or pokemon. each of you will take turns — one will stand on the stump and then fall back onto the other. if you don't fall back with complete trust in your partner, or your partner is unable to demonstrate that trust, one of you will fall into the mud puddle." he seemed to send a look at ollie, looking particularly stern. "which would not be good. the league will not be paying for your dry cleaning today."

[break]

close tab

played by

Ven

Lars
he / him / his
thirty-two
july 26
Sootopolis, Hoenn
don’t know, don’t care
ranger & courier
ex-head ranger
tonight
1210 height
1210 height
nessuno vince.
awards
3,790 posts
part of
TAG WITH @lars
Laurence Anderson
sparks [m] [p]
POSTED ON Jun 11, 2022 18:32:57 GMT
Laurence Anderson Avatar

This sadistic smirk flashed across his face for a few moments as the squad leader realized what the fuck he was trying to say, and the others that had stifled their laughter were now looking in Lars’s direction with poorly-disguised mirth on their features because—

He did make a point!

Lars was so fucking tempted to make another snarky remark about the dry-cleaning; why the hell did the Hoennian Rangers not cover other expenses like the—holy fucking shit.

“Che cazzo,” he muttered under his breath.

Well, unlike the Alto Marean version of this exercise—which literally meant them falling into the water if their partner didn’t catch them, this was… well, fuck. Mud?

He then pinched the bridge of his nose.

“No funds for dry-cleaning?” was all he continued to say to himself next before turning to his partner.

“Okay, so… who’s going to do the falling over backwards first, you or me?”

close tab

played by

milky

ollie, oliver
he/him
august 5
pallet town, kanto
bi (complicated)
evergrande
head ranger
awards
2,315 posts
part of
TAG WITH @ollie
ollie morales
sparks [m] [p]
POSTED ON Jun 11, 2022 18:38:01 GMT
ollie morales Avatar
[nospaces]
[attr="class","oliver2"]

"don't worry, dude! you totally won't fall. even if you do, we won't need dry-cleaning. i'm sure we can splash in a puddle somewhere!"

[break][break] because that was definitely the same thing as dry-cleaning. maybe if it was really bad, he could bully to letting him use the laundry machines at the dorms. because that was free.

[break][break] "you!" he said, with a cherry-bright grin. he raised his arms in a wide, nearly comical gesture (reference). "i'll catch you, buddy!"

[break]

close tab

played by

Ven

Lars
he / him / his
thirty-two
july 26
Sootopolis, Hoenn
don’t know, don’t care
ranger & courier
ex-head ranger
tonight
1210 height
1210 height
nessuno vince.
awards
3,790 posts
part of
TAG WITH @lars
Laurence Anderson
sparks [m] [p]
POSTED ON Jun 11, 2022 20:06:55 GMT
Laurence Anderson Avatar

He couldn’t help but be… maybe slightly worried.

The look the squad leader gave his partner for this exercise was… well, not good at all.

“Shit, me?” he blinked. Why did he have a bad feeling about this…

If one couldn’t tell, there was a very faint flash of panic in his eyes, because… holy crap.

“Are you sure you’re going to catch me?” he repeated, this time quietly, because holy fucking shit he hadn’t completed the purchase on the place where he was going to move into yet… shit.

close tab

played by

milky

ollie, oliver
he/him
august 5
pallet town, kanto
bi (complicated)
evergrande
head ranger
awards
2,315 posts
part of
TAG WITH @ollie
ollie morales
sparks [m] [p]
POSTED ON Jun 11, 2022 20:12:17 GMT
ollie morales Avatar
[nospaces]
[attr="class","oliver2"]

"of course!" he exclaimed, looking almost horrified that the other wouldn't trust him. imagine that! who wouldn't trust him. he was oliver morales! super incredibly trustrworthy.

[break][break] it was what it said in his yearbook. probably. he couldn't remember.

[break][break] "what, anders, don't you trust me?"

[break][break]

[break]

close tab

played by

Ven

Lars
he / him / his
thirty-two
july 26
Sootopolis, Hoenn
don’t know, don’t care
ranger & courier
ex-head ranger
tonight
1210 height
1210 height
nessuno vince.
awards
3,790 posts
part of
TAG WITH @lars
Laurence Anderson
sparks [m] [p]
POSTED ON Jun 11, 2022 20:23:51 GMT
Laurence Anderson Avatar

“I’m just concerned, y’know,” he admitted.

“Well, we did something similar to this back in Alto Mare, only instead of falling into mud, everyone who didn’t get caught literally took an unceremonious dive into the canals,” he added a few moments later.

Nevertheless, he climbed up onto the stump, before looking over at the other pairs who were going through this exercise—he could tell that everyone who was going to fall first was fucking nervous, himself included.

“Well… have at it.”

And he tipped himself over backwards.

What would happen?

close tab

played by

milky

ollie, oliver
he/him
august 5
pallet town, kanto
bi (complicated)
evergrande
head ranger
awards
2,315 posts
part of
TAG WITH @ollie
ollie morales
sparks [m] [p]
POSTED ON Jun 11, 2022 20:27:26 GMT
ollie morales Avatar
[nospaces]
[attr="class","oliver2"]

concerned?

[break][break] "silly, nothing to be concerned over!" he grins, slapping his chest. "i got you!"

[break][break] he nods empathetically at the other. "i totally get it. one time back in kanto, when i was with my siblings, my brother totally pushed me into a pile of miltank poop. and it was totally not cool."

[break][break] he watches as the other gets on the stump, and he himself gets into the ready position. incredibly serious, ready to catch the other. and so fell...

[break][break] in his defense, ollie had been totally read to catch him. totally ready. but then a group of pidove flew past, flapping it's wings and filling his face full of feather dance. distracted, ollie hadn't been able to catch the other ranger in time.

[break][break] he only realized after, spitting bird feathers out of his mouth, when he heard a resonating splat.

[break]

close tab

played by

Ven

Lars
he / him / his
thirty-two
july 26
Sootopolis, Hoenn
don’t know, don’t care
ranger & courier
ex-head ranger
tonight
1210 height
1210 height
nessuno vince.
awards
3,790 posts
part of
TAG WITH @lars
Laurence Anderson
sparks [m] [p]
POSTED ON Jun 11, 2022 20:34:04 GMT
Laurence Anderson Avatar

He was literally falling through the—

SPLAT!

Was that—a bunch of feathers…?

He was too shocked to see what else had happened around them, but clearly, almost everyone who had taken the leap had landed in the fucking mud.

Lars was too shellshocked to even get up to register what had happened. Several moments of silence passed before he finally pushed himself up, grimacing in pain as he did so.

“Ow.”

close tab

played by

milky

ollie, oliver
he/him
august 5
pallet town, kanto
bi (complicated)
evergrande
head ranger
awards
2,315 posts
part of
TAG WITH @ollie
ollie morales
sparks [m] [p]
POSTED ON Jun 11, 2022 20:40:26 GMT
ollie morales Avatar
[nospaces]
[attr="class","oliver2"]

oh shit.

[break][break] "shit, dude, i'm sorry!" ollie rushes up to the other who unfortunately had fell back into the mud puddle. he offers his hand out for the other, helping him heave himself to his feet. "you okay?"

[break][break] meanwhile, their squad captain was speaking. " — exactly that, as I was saying, you must always be prepared for the environment. as rangers, another one of our tenants is to not only help the environment but also to be aware of it. you never know what might happen on the field." he glances towards one of the pairs, the only pair that had somehow managed to have gotten out of the exercise unscathed. "whites and monroe, good job." it may have been due to the fact that the latter was clearly a bird trainer; the pidove that had sent to attack him was currently nesting in the boy's hair.

[break][break] ollie turns back to his partner, grinning a bit sheepishly. "sorry dude. so i guess, my turn next?"

[break][break]

[break]

close tab

played by

Ven

Lars
he / him / his
thirty-two
july 26
Sootopolis, Hoenn
don’t know, don’t care
ranger & courier
ex-head ranger
tonight
1210 height
1210 height
nessuno vince.
awards
3,790 posts
part of
TAG WITH @lars
Laurence Anderson
sparks [m] [p]
POSTED ON Jun 11, 2022 20:47:38 GMT
Laurence Anderson Avatar

There were flecks of white stuck in the mud, and he had a suspicion that something had happened—now all he had to do was find the possible culprit—

“Well, maybe I can wear the Alto Marean uniform tomorrow,” he said with a pained grimace, how in the hell was there so much mud on the thing he had on right now?! Shit, did he fall into a muddy sinkhole or something?

Discreetly pointing at the flecks of white that were stuck on the mud that wasn’t disturbed, he asked, “What exactly happened?” before tilting his head at the stump.

“Get your ass up there.”

close tab

played by

milky

ollie, oliver
he/him
august 5
pallet town, kanto
bi (complicated)
evergrande
head ranger
awards
2,315 posts
part of
TAG WITH @ollie
ollie morales
sparks [m] [p]
POSTED ON Jun 11, 2022 20:52:00 GMT
ollie morales Avatar
[nospaces]
[attr="class","oliver2"]

oh. he must not have seen.

[break][break] "there was a flock of pidove that attacked us!" he huffs as he climbs atop the stump, then pulls some extra feathers out of his hair before flicking them down onto the mud. he glances briefly towards the squad leader before lowering his voice, covering his mouth slightly with a hand. he whispers, "crazy, right?"

[break][break] a little bit louder, he grins. "i'm ready when you are!"

[break][break] and then - facing forward - he lets himself fall forward into hopefully the other's waiting arms.

[break]