1,175 posts
part of
TAG WITH @memo
Guillermo Marceliño
summertime girls [m, c]
POSTED ON Jul 27, 2022 15:15:00 GMT
Guillermo Marceliño Avatar
Guillermo winced.

The night sky above was a thick blanket of stars and darkness, holding in the oppressive heat. He sat on the beach blanket in his swim trunks-- a safe distance away from the water-- and felt a drop of sweat sink slowly along his spinal column.

And if he was hot, he knew Alex was positively melting.

He’d tried to plan for it. Cooler full of icy snacks and drinks. A little solar-powered fan buzzing along, pushing a decent breeze over their blanket. Coming out at night instead of during the day.

“I think it’s the dome,” he said somberly to his companion. “Sorry.”

As though he could do anything to change the weather.
close tab

played by

Ven

Alex / Lexy
he / him / his
thirty
december 22
Mistralton, Unova
homosexual demiromantic
fortree gym leader
gym leader
חקל דמא
awards
5,045 posts
part of
TAG WITH @alexei
Alexei Ivanov
summertime girls [m, c]
POSTED ON Jul 27, 2022 19:00:45 GMT
Alexei Ivanov Avatar

If there was one thing Alexei absolutely detested, it was the fucking heat.

And not like his friend who was frequently hiding away in Shoal Cave during the hot, humid Hoennian summer. This—this was on another level altogether.

“Ugh…” he grumbled, already holding a paper fan of his own as he tried to cool himself down. “Why did this have to happen now, of all things…”

If he could summon a nice ol’ Rain Dance, he would. But then again the heat made the sky really humid, so whatever rain would come crashing down wasn’t going to be the nice, cooling kind—but the hot, humid, absolutely sticky kind that got on everything…

He reached for an ice cream sandwich and literally devoured it in seconds, but it did little to cool him down, too.

“Why.”

That single word really encapsulated the—the everything happening around them.

The stupid dome, for starters.

close tab

played by

Ceej

Memo
He/him
August 26
Spikemuth, Galar Region
Homosexual
Ranger Captain
Elite Ranger
it gets lonely in this gangster's paradise
awards
1,175 posts
part of
TAG WITH @memo
Guillermo Marceliño
summertime girls [m, c]
POSTED ON Jul 27, 2022 22:54:55 GMT
Memo looked up at Alex, blaringly white even in the moonlight, waving his little paper fan like a tia chismosa at a football game. The smile that pulled insistently at the corners of his mouth came unbidden, reeling him in like fishing line, and he wanted to crawl across the blanket and kiss him.

But it was too hot for that, he imagined, so he settled for sitting and grinning like an idiot.

“Oh!” It went off like a lightbulb, and he pulled a Pokeball out from underneath a package of freezy-pops in the cooler. He gave it a toss and released his Sealeo, Rollo, out into the humid night air.

“Think you can help us out, buddy?”

The great, blue beastie looked a little pained, but his whiskers twitched as he blasted a sheer cold straight up into the air, spiraling around itself in an icy blue beam. Snowflakes and ice crystals flew off the main column, and the air cooled significantly just in their general area-- without giving them frostbite, which was a plus.

“Thanks, Rollo.” Memo flashed the large pinniped a thumbs up, and Rollo huffed, flopping and bouncing to turn himself around and head out towards the water.

Memo looked at Alex. He reached across the blanket to thread their fingers together. “Better?”

close tab

played by

Ven

Alex / Lexy
he / him / his
thirty
december 22
Mistralton, Unova
homosexual demiromantic
fortree gym leader
gym leader
חקל דמא
awards
5,045 posts
part of
TAG WITH @alexei
Alexei Ivanov
summertime girls [m, c]
POSTED ON Aug 1, 2022 19:55:05 GMT
Alexei Ivanov Avatar

The first words that were out of Alex’s mouth were—

“You… you kept his Pokéball in the cooler?!”

He blinked. What in the—how did that even—what?!

See, unlike Memo, Alexei had a vast majority of his armada (honestly, after two hundred-something one tends to lose count. Was he turning into at this point, only instead of Grass-types he hoarded avians and draconids?!) out and about at the Sanctuary—like it was a gigantic, real-life Pokémon Storage…

So for him to actually see the other pull out the Pokéball from within the depths of a cooler made his mind reel from the sheer—

He wasn’t going to deny that the weather was now slightly better than the hellhole it was outside of the sphere of influence of the Ice-type attack.

“Yes… much better,” he let out with a sigh of relief. At least it was evening, he didn’t need to slather on enough sunblock to marinade like a piece of meat to be cooked on a grill.

“I wish this stupid dome would just… disappear,” he continued with another sigh, this time exasperated.

“Ruining a lot of things…”

close tab

played by

Ceej

Memo
He/him
August 26
Spikemuth, Galar Region
Homosexual
Ranger Captain
Elite Ranger
awards
1,175 posts
part of
TAG WITH @memo
Guillermo Marceliño
summertime girls [m, c]
POSTED ON Aug 7, 2022 22:15:32 GMT
Memo looks at him with a doe-eyed innocence. “Yes? He likes it cold.” His gaze shifted to the side, briefly, then went back to Alex. “Am I not supposed to?”

He pushed himself onto his knees and brushed some stray sand off his thighs. “Not all of us have the room to free roam our constituents, Mister Sanctuary Pants,” he said, forcing just enough of a fake-pout into the words to sound petulant and, frankly, adorable.

He leaned back on his palm, still holding Alex's hand, staring over the sea lit by the sunset. “Yeah,” he said, agreeing but not really agreeing, because he hadn’t felt this at peace in quite some time, and he had a sneaking suspicion that, soon, he never would again.

Wasn’t that foreboding?

When Alex mentioned the dome was ruining lots of things, Memo shot him a curious look. “Did you have big summer plans that got put on hold?” he asked. Sometimes he was reminded that he’d only really known Alex for, like, seven months.

close tab

played by

Ven

Alex / Lexy
he / him / his
thirty
december 22
Mistralton, Unova
homosexual demiromantic
fortree gym leader
gym leader
חקל דמא
awards
5,045 posts
part of
TAG WITH @alexei
Alexei Ivanov
summertime girls [m, c]
POSTED ON Aug 16, 2022 18:07:57 GMT
Alexei Ivanov Avatar

“Less on big, grandiose plans and more on, like… you know how Pokémon come and go from the region, right?” he filled in the other.

“There’s supposed to be an annual migration of Fletchling coming in from Kalos this summer, since they usually choose to nest here and fly back closer to winter afterward. So that’s been disrupted,” he enumerated.

Taking a deep breath, he continued.

“There’s lots of migratory Pokémon whose patterns have been basically fucked up, which means the Sanctuary’s getting a lot more transients staying over than usual… and then there’s the supply chain problem,” he breathed out with a sigh.

Reaching for another ice cream sandwich, he quickly tore into that one, making sure to eat it as fast as possible before it melted.

“We’re basically at critical mass right now.”

Then again, what conservatory wasn’t?

He was sure his wasn’t the only place that was literally a mess because of the dome…

close tab

played by

Ceej

Memo
He/him
August 26
Spikemuth, Galar Region
Homosexual
Ranger Captain
Elite Ranger
awards
1,175 posts
part of
TAG WITH @memo
Guillermo Marceliño
summertime girls [m, c]
POSTED ON Aug 16, 2022 22:27:48 GMT
He nodded, tracing his thumb along the ridge of Alex’s knuckles. He hadn’t even thought about the world outside of his frame of reference-- that being people, mostly. But as he listened to Alex explain things, he realized that the dome had upset the world on a much deeper level than just plane schedules and cross-regional communication.

“I didn’t realize,”
he said, not able to help the sadness that colored his tone. It was a lot for Alex to deal with. The man’s heart was entirely too fucking big, and he meant that in the best way possible. Alex felt it was his job to take care of everything under the sun, which was what, Memo imagined, led him to create the sanctuary. He’d been a firsthand witness to the self-flagellation Alex subjected himself to when he felt he failed at the, admittedly impossible, job.

“I can try and help,” he suggested-- because in the same way that Alex took the lives of every living thing as his burden, Memo’s own cross to bear was self-sacrifice. “I’ve been pretty busy but--,” I think I’m going to get the job I wanted died on his lips, because he wasn’t sure if that was meant to be a surprise, or if he was just afraid of telling Alex he might be moving to Fortree, or maybe even because he felt like if he spoke it out loud it wouldn’t happen.

He was, deep down, absolutely terrified that Alex would freak out. The man had asked for time, and Memo could give him all the time in the world. But to immediately say it's okay that you don't want to date right now and rubberband that right into hey, I've been manipulating the system so I can move closer to you... Memo was scared Alex would feel that it was an invasion of privacy.

“--but I think things might be slowing down, now. Amazingly, the closer we get to the Meteor, it’s like everyone is… stopping to take a breath.” He traded his wounded look for one of forced happiness, of a peace he felt wasn’t too far off for him to really reach, not in Alex’s presence. Maybe he just needed to fake it a little.

close tab

played by

Ven

Alex / Lexy
he / him / his
thirty
december 22
Mistralton, Unova
homosexual demiromantic
fortree gym leader
gym leader
חקל דמא
awards
5,045 posts
part of
TAG WITH @alexei
Alexei Ivanov
summertime girls [m, c]
POSTED ON Aug 18, 2022 14:37:15 GMT
Alexei Ivanov Avatar

“How?”

The question hung in the air as he reached for another ice cream sandwich (honestly, he wasn’t looking at this point anymore) and tore into that one as well, because even now the evenings were uncomfortably hot—even more obvious in the summertime, where he normally had the air conditioning on at his flat full blast.

Yikes, maybe it was a good idea he had those solar panels installed a year ago or so…

“How can you say shit’s slowing down? People are still panic-buying from the marts, hell I’ve had to start rationing the critical medical supplies at the Sanctuary now because of the disruption. Another thing that’s basically fucked over is like—the migrating Pokémon headed this way are stuck outside, while the ones trapped in here can’t really leave…”

Why, oh why, did everything have to turn out like this, at this point?

And then there was the problem of communication attempts outside of the enclosed space.

“I feel like this… not to be a fucking downer or anything or a nihilist, but…” he trailed off as he tore through an entire can of chilled soda in one go.

“…I feel like something out there wants us all dead.”

close tab

played by

Ceej

Memo
He/him
August 26
Spikemuth, Galar Region
Homosexual
Ranger Captain
Elite Ranger
awards
1,175 posts
part of
TAG WITH @memo
Guillermo Marceliño
summertime girls [m, c]
POSTED ON Aug 20, 2022 1:43:59 GMT
He opened his mouth to answer Alex’s question because, at first, he thought it was how can you help? and he was about to spout some sort of nonsense that fell somewhere between a long list of his skills and features and the very charming, very sexy answer of how would you like me to help? complete with a wink--

--but then Alex exploded in a burst of static interwoven with a long, red thread of panic and Guillermo had to eat his words quicker than a bat flew out of hell. And he was reminded, so very brusquely, that he was dating involved with crushing on hanging out with a bigger downer than a bottle of Xanax and the personified frost power every single ice age collectively happening at once.

But it was true, wasn’t it? Memo was looking through his own little scope-- his personal eyeglasses. I don’t know, I guess I’m just less busy? was a meager excuse for things looking up. But he wasn’t wired like Alex-- he didn’t have the capability to take in all the bad things in the world, grind them down and process them, and spit them back out again as-- as recycled plastic bottles or rubberized children’s play flooring. Keeping his scope narrow was how he survived without gouging his own eyeballs out.

”I… I could help you, I guess, is all I was trying to say.”

close tab

played by

Ven

Alex / Lexy
he / him / his
thirty
december 22
Mistralton, Unova
homosexual demiromantic
fortree gym leader
gym leader
חקל דמא
awards
5,045 posts
part of
TAG WITH @alexei
Alexei Ivanov
summertime girls [m, c]
POSTED ON Aug 20, 2022 12:43:18 GMT
Alexei Ivanov Avatar

He then belatedly realized that his fingers were intertwined with the other’s own, however the blush didn’t rise to his face…

It was becoming—like a normal thing now, between them.

This… this closeness.

“Don’t you have your own work, too?” he asked the other quietly. “I… I wouldn’t want to take up so much of your time, you know… you might be spreading your ass too thin again.”

He was concerned, okay?! Was it wrong not to be concerned for the other?

“Because if you spread yourself too thin… I’ll worry. I worry a lot, okay, telling you now,” he added as an afterthought.

Maybe it was good to let the other know about that particular problem of his.

“I worry a lot… especially when it’s someone I care about.”

And that’s you, he added to himself in the back of his head, but really, his brain was screaming at him again for being such a fucking coward for not saying those last three words out loud!

Why, Alex, why are you such a fucking wuss of a coward who can’t even properly admit…?!

close tab

played by

Ceej

Memo
He/him
August 26
Spikemuth, Galar Region
Homosexual
Ranger Captain
Elite Ranger
awards
1,175 posts
part of
TAG WITH @memo
Guillermo Marceliño
summertime girls [m, c]
POSTED ON Aug 20, 2022 13:07:33 GMT
Thoroughly chastised, Memo wasn’t looking at Alex when the other man realized they’d been holding hands, but he did feel the twitch of his fingers at the small epiphany.

“Yeah, well,” he said, drawn back to the earlier problem of wanting to announce he sorta-maybe got the promotion to the position that would move him closer to Alex-- make them partners in charge of Fortree, basically, kinda-- “I’m in a lull.”

At Alex’s admission that he worries Memo could only laugh.

“I know you do. You worry enough for ten people.”

He squeezed Alex’s hand.

“I know my limits,”
he said, which was true, but the part that he left out was that he actively chose to ignore them, “and I would love to help you out around the sanctuary. You’re under a lot of pressure. And, besides, it gives me an excuse to spend more time with you.”

He almost-- almost-- talked too much to miss Alex sneakily sneaking in the someone I care about bit. And he smiled.

“I’ll be fine. Please don’t worry about me. I’d hate to add one more thing to your worry pile.”

close tab

played by

Ven

Alex / Lexy
he / him / his
thirty
december 22
Mistralton, Unova
homosexual demiromantic
fortree gym leader
gym leader
חקל דמא
awards
5,045 posts
part of
TAG WITH @alexei
Alexei Ivanov
summertime girls [m, c]
POSTED ON Aug 20, 2022 13:34:17 GMT
Alexei Ivanov Avatar

“Oh? They’re not asking you to… y’know, save the world or anything?”

He was mostly joking, but fact of the matter was that he had some knowledge of how the Rangers worked, well, he wouldn’t be surprised if they were asked to capture dangerous, feral, wild Pokémon that had gotten out of hand and were impossible to control by all but the most experienced Rangers.

(And then again, there was the opposite end of the spectrum where they had to double up and, at least these were the stories he heard from a few Ranger friends, that they ran Pokémon-related errands for anyone who needed them. Maybe he was wrong?)

“Hey,” he bantered back, swatting at the other the moment he’d mentioned that he himself worried enough for more than ten people.

“We… we all are, it’s not just me,” he admitted quietly.

“You have no idea how much I tend to worry about the Sanctuary in general, and then everyone in it too… ‘specially the staffers who just volunteer their time and refuse to be paid despite me insisting that I pay them for their service.”

The more he said not to worry, the more Alexei was going to worry about Memo, the more he drew attention to it.

“You know, the more you tell me not to worry about you, the more I am going to worry about you.”

…wait, what? What?

W H A T?

close tab

played by

Ceej

Memo
He/him
August 26
Spikemuth, Galar Region
Homosexual
Ranger Captain
Elite Ranger
awards
1,175 posts
part of
TAG WITH @memo
Guillermo Marceliño
summertime girls [m, c]
POSTED ON Aug 21, 2022 14:35:15 GMT
Memo laughed; it came out both dry and light at the same time. “Only a little bit,” he admitted, feeling very small, indeed, in the face of current events. “It’s all up in the air right now-- no pun intended. Big brass is meeting with the HBIC and we decide where to go from there.” It wasn’t anything Alex wouldn’t know, he imagined.

He fake-pouted at Alex’s reprimanding strike, eyes puppy-dog bright. “But you the most.” Everything could be going one-hundred-percent perfectly and Alex would still have concerns to weigh him down. It was a wonder he got into the air, at all.

He opened his mouth to say that he had, at the very least, an inkling, of how much Alex worried-- about everything, not just the sanctuary-- but then he laughed, for real.

“Okay, I won’t tell you not to worry. But I can take care of myself.”

Mostly.

close tab

played by

Ven

Alex / Lexy
he / him / his
thirty
december 22
Mistralton, Unova
homosexual demiromantic
fortree gym leader
gym leader
חקל דמא
awards
5,045 posts
part of
TAG WITH @alexei
Alexei Ivanov
summertime girls [m, c]
POSTED ON Aug 21, 2022 20:41:23 GMT
Alexei Ivanov Avatar

“I hope you get a better deal than I do. With the lack of information I’m facing on my end, I mean.”

He was pretty sure that his friend wasn’t going to leave the Rangers all high and dry like what happened to him in terms of securing much-needed information.

After letting out a distressed, pained noise he reached for something inside the cooler and pulled out, unsurprisingly, an ice cream sandwich.

“Thanks for packing so many of these.”

Without further ado a big bite was taken from the poor food item. Decimated in seconds.

“Oh, really now?” he countered to the other’s last statement, eyebrows going up for a bit there.

close tab

played by

Ceej

Memo
He/him
August 26
Spikemuth, Galar Region
Homosexual
Ranger Captain
Elite Ranger
awards
1,175 posts
part of
TAG WITH @memo
Guillermo Marceliño
summertime girls [m, c]
POSTED ON Aug 21, 2022 21:15:42 GMT
He shrugged. “I’m pretty small potatoes, right now,” he said, letting his gaze drift off and out to the sea. “But the commander’s a good guy. The one who isn’t my cousin, I mean.” Then he laughed. “Well, Sénon’s good, too, but I don’t want people to think I got--,” oops, almost gave away the promotion, there, “--um, I’m doing well because we’re related. Nepotism is a bad look.”

The rustling of another package of frozen treats being opened brought his attention back to Alex. “Yeah, of course,” he said, half a snicker, “just don’t make yourself sick.” He’d never seen anyone eat as much ice cream before, ever.

He met Alex’s gaze, trying to keep a serious expression in the face of ice-cream-stuffed cheeks, like a little freezer pop chipmunk. He couldn’t keep himself from smiling, nose wrinkling.

“Yeah, of course,” he said, “I’ve been doing it for years now. Taking care of myself, I mean.”