Lavender Town, Kanto
heterosexual
hitman
rocket beast
nenet nzingha
starstruck ✨
6'3" / 190 cm height
6'3" / 190 cm height
Murderers are not monsters, they're men. And that's the most frightening thing about them.
awards
2,675 posts
Zev Harcourt DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @zev
Zev Harcourt
Late Night Downtime [m]
POSTED ON Jul 29, 2022 12:47:29 GMT
Zev Harcourt Avatar
The pain in Zev's body from being smashed into a wall by an angry female Aggron had dulled somewhat by the time he reached the door to his apartment. He had walked there in silence, followed by the blonde kid he'd just threatened to kill using his Seviper. But the pain in Zev's head was still awful, mounting into a headache that had to be addressed as soon as possible.

With a click of a key, Zev unlocked his front door and stepped inside. Hitting a couple of light switches, he revealed his modest apartment: a large, open space with a couch, TV, and coffee table on one side and a square dining table for two on the other side, by the windows. The latter half of the living area was adjacent to a darkened kitchen, while two doors opposite the windows led to the bathroom and storage closet. A short hallway pointed the way to the bedroom.

For a bachelor, the apartment was surprisingly clean and tidy. The decoration was typical of a home one might find in a magazine. The couch had some throw pillows and a blanket, while on the coffee table were a hardcover book of black-and-white landscape photos and a stack of marble coasters. A narrow bookcase near the dining table held an assortment of books on bartending and mixology, plus a shelf of paraphernalia from past bar and restaurant conventions. Nearby stood a bar cart piled with an assortment of liquor bottles.

Zev threw his keys, wallet, and phone into a wooden bowl situated on a small table next to the door. "Make yourself at home," he told Isaac, the gesture of hospitality a stark contrast to their battle in the alley not more than ten minutes ago.

The hitman picked out a Pokéball from a wall cabinet and pressed the button on its surface. His Chimecho emerged in a flash of light. "HEAL PULSE," Zev mumbled, closing his eyes against his headache.

Chimecho chirped with her bell-like voice and cast the move on her master. He sighed at the instant relief as the soreness in his muscles, joints, and head faded away.

NOTES
+ Mission: Slumber Party
close tab

played by

Wanderer

The Liberator
he/him/his
April 10
Lavaridge Town
Figuring it Out
Penitent
Renegade
Turned on my friends and brought them pain. I have no right to show I can change. But I gotta try!
awards
4,326 posts
Isaac Merlo DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @isaacmerlo
Isaac Merlo
Late Night Downtime [m]
POSTED ON Jul 29, 2022 13:18:53 GMT
Isaac Merlo Avatar
[nospaces]

[attr="class","skullhover"]

[attr="class","skullimg"]

[attr="class","skulltitle"]導通抵抗
[attr="class","skulloverlap"]BUT HOLD YOUR BREATH, GUESS WHO'S RUNNING THE SHOW?

[attr="class","skullbody"]If it wasn't for the fact that Isaac's heart was still heavy with fear and adrenaline, it would be like the past half hour never happened. One moment, the two's fighting had escalated and Pokemon held trainers hostage like a pair of guns to the head. The next, they were taking a normal walk to a normal apartment like normal people.[break][break)

Was it always this easy for Zev to find the off switch? Was it always so easy for him to find the on switch?[break][break]

The apartment looked like you asked a home designer to make the most normal apartment one could think of. The furniture was furniture. The rooms were rooms. Everything was so tidy and precisely arranged that it felt more like stepping into a catalogue than coming to someone's home. A few bar related books, accessories, and beverages were slotted precisely into the arrangement, as if someone reminded Zev that he was supposed to have little things like hobbies and professional pursuits.[break][break]

Despite this level of artifice, it was normal. Downright mundane. Nobody would guess a murderer lived here. Isaac was 99% certain that Zev was about to start telling him the musical significance of Goomy Lewis and the News.[break][break]

"Huh," he said as his thoughts passed through him. "It's a nice place. It seems very . . . you."[break][break]

A shell that lived within another shell. That was far more appropriate for Zev than living inside of a murder castle with skinned puppy rugs and iron maidens for furniture. His was a subtle cruelty just under the surface of a normalcy he was all too happy to entertain. After all, Isaac was here, right?[break][break]

He sat down on one of the couches. Yep. That was a couch, alright. Not rigged to explode in the slightest. "You feeling okay?"

[break][break]

[break]
[attr="class","skullinfo"]MOBILE POST /

[attr="class","skullcredits"]TAIKO!

[newclass=.skullhover]width:420px;-webkit-filter: grayscale(100%);filter: grayscale(100%);-webkit-transition:all 1s ease;transition:all 1s ease;-webkit-transition-delay:0.1s;[/newclass]
[newclass=.skullhover:hover]-webkit-filter: grayscale(0%);filter: grayscale(0%)-webkit-transition:all 1s ease;transition:all 1s ease;[/newclass]
[newclass=.skullimg]width:380px;height:200px;background-image:url(https://i.imgur.com/HOVZp0J.png); background-repeat:no-repeat;[/newclass]
[newclass=.skulltitle]font-family:verdana;font-weight:700;font-size:50px;position:relative;text-align:center;color:#D9B800;margin-top:-36px;margin-bottom:0px;text-shadow: -1px 0 black, 0 1px black, 1px 0 black, 0 -1px black;[/newclass]
[newclass=.skulloverlap]letter-spacing:1px;font-family:oswald;font-weight:200;font-size:12px;position:relative;text-align:center;margin-top:-0;margin-bottom:-5px;color:#e8e8e8;text-shadow: -1px 0 black, 0 1px black, 1px 0 black, 0 -1px black;[/newclass]
[newclass=.skullbody]div-align:center;text-align:justify;width:380px;font-size:12px;font-family:roboto;color:#d6d6d6;[/newclass]
[newclass=.skullbody b]color:#d9b800;[/newclass]
[newclass=.skullinfo]width:380px;font-family:oswald;font-size:12px;font-weight:200;color:#767676;text-align:right[/newclass]
[newclass=.skullcredits]width:380px;font-family:roboto;font-size:12px;text-align:center;[/newclass]

[googlefont=Oswald]
[googlefont=Roboto]
close tab

played by

gunsmile

The Devourer
he / him
January 8
Lavender Town, Kanto
heterosexual
hitman
rocket beast
nenet nzingha
starstruck ✨
6'3" / 190 cm height
6'3" / 190 cm height
Murderers are not monsters, they're men. And that's the most frightening thing about them.
awards
2,675 posts
Zev Harcourt DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @zev
Zev Harcourt
Late Night Downtime [m]
POSTED ON Jul 29, 2022 14:02:57 GMT
Zev Harcourt Avatar
"Yeah," Zev replied absently to Isaac, rolling his shoulders and cracking his neck. He wondered how sore he would be in the morning despite Chimecho's immediate healing. He'd been a lot spryer in his youth, able to bounce back from hits without difficulty. As he got older, however, he noticed that his body was recovering more slowly, making him prone to body aches in the morning after rough encounters.

Zev was glad to have obtained a Pokémon that could heal him as much as he needed since coming to Hoenn. "Thanks," he murmured to Chimecho. Instead of recalling her back into her Pokéball, he put the empty ball back in the wall cabinet so she could roam around the apartment. "Go heal Isaac."

Chimecho approached the boy with a melodic chirp and cast another HEAL PULSE on him. Meanwhile, Zev made his way into the kitchen and turned on the light.

"Want anything to eat? Or drink?" he called out as he opened his fridge and peered inside.

NOTES
close tab

played by

Wanderer

The Liberator
he/him/his
April 10
Lavaridge Town
Figuring it Out
Penitent
Renegade
Turned on my friends and brought them pain. I have no right to show I can change. But I gotta try!
awards
4,326 posts
Isaac Merlo DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @isaacmerlo
Isaac Merlo
Late Night Downtime [m]
POSTED ON Jul 29, 2022 14:33:13 GMT
Isaac Merlo Avatar
[nospaces]

[attr="class","skulloverlap"]BUT HOLD YOUR BREATH, GUESS WHO'S RUNNING THE SHOW?

[attr="class","skullbody"]"Okay," Isaac said. He didn't bother apologizing to Zev. Even if the man hadn't given such enthusiastic approval over Kiryu's actions, and even if Isaac actually was sorry, he knew Zev wouldn't be the type to worry about those. Apologies were for people that cared. "Good."[break][break]

The Chimecho drifted over next, bathing Isaac in a soft healing glow. He didn't exactly need it. He'd been roughed up a little, but nothing he couldn't handle. The real scars were going on upstairs, where Chimecho couldn't reach even if it tried. Nevertheless, he gave the Pokemon a soft smile. "Thanks, buddy."[break][break]

Now it was time for normal food from a normal person. With the fare at Zev's establishment being as good as it was, Isaac was admittedly looking forward to this. Besides, nothing broke a strange atmosphere better than having something to eat or drink. "Sure thing," Isaac said, already feeling some of his tension melt back into the couch. "What do we have?"[break][break]

After all. One way or another, they were in this together. As soon as tomorrow rolled around . . .

[break][break]

[break]

[newclass=.skullhover]width:420px;-webkit-filter: grayscale(100%);filter: grayscale(100%);-webkit-transition:all 1s ease;transition:all 1s ease;-webkit-transition-delay:0.1s;[/newclass]
[newclass=.skullhover:hover]-webkit-filter: grayscale(0%);filter: grayscale(0%)-webkit-transition:all 1s ease;transition:all 1s ease;[/newclass]
[newclass=.skullimg]width:380px;height:200px;background-image:url(https://i.imgur.com/HOVZp0J.png); background-repeat:no-repeat;[/newclass]
[newclass=.skulltitle]font-family:verdana;font-weight:700;font-size:50px;position:relative;text-align:center;color:#D9B800;margin-top:-36px;margin-bottom:0px;text-shadow: -1px 0 black, 0 1px black, 1px 0 black, 0 -1px black;[/newclass]
[newclass=.skulloverlap]letter-spacing:1px;font-family:oswald;font-weight:200;font-size:12px;position:relative;text-align:center;margin-top:-0;margin-bottom:-5px;color:#e8e8e8;text-shadow: -1px 0 black, 0 1px black, 1px 0 black, 0 -1px black;[/newclass]
[newclass=.skullbody]div-align:center;text-align:justify;width:380px;font-size:12px;font-family:roboto;color:#d6d6d6;[/newclass]
[newclass=.skullinfo]width:380px;font-family:oswald;font-size:12px;font-weight:200;color:#767676;text-align:right[/newclass]
[newclass=.skullcredits]width:380px;font-family:roboto;font-size:12px;text-align:center;[/newclass]

[googlefont=Oswald]
[googlefont=Roboto]
close tab

played by

gunsmile

The Devourer
he / him
January 8
Lavender Town, Kanto
heterosexual
hitman
rocket beast
nenet nzingha
starstruck ✨
6'3" / 190 cm height
6'3" / 190 cm height
awards
2,675 posts
Zev Harcourt DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @zev
Zev Harcourt
Late Night Downtime [m]
POSTED ON Jul 29, 2022 15:18:19 GMT
Zev Harcourt Avatar
Zev considered their options. Something light would be better for the next day's strenuous training, a quick snack that tasted good and would go over well with just about anybody. Settling for grilled cheese and tomato soup, he pulled the necessary ingredients from his fridge and, arms full, kicked the door closed with a foot.

"I'll make some grilled cheese and soup," Zev replied, arranging everything on his kitchen counter. He placed a frying pan and a saucepan onto the stove and turned on the heat for both of them. "I hope you like cheese. As for drinks, do you want something regular or something alcoholic? I have soda, juice, milk."

Chimecho floated into the kitchen, drawn by her master's movements. He went through the motions of cooking like a practiced chef, but these were no ordinary grilled cheese and tomato soup recipes. While oil heated in the saucepan, Zev spread imported Kantonese mayonnaise — sweeter than the tasteless crap found in his local grocery store — onto four slices of bread and chopped an apple into thin slices.

NOTES
close tab

played by

Wanderer

The Liberator
he/him/his
April 10
Lavaridge Town
Figuring it Out
Penitent
Renegade
awards
4,326 posts
Isaac Merlo DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @isaacmerlo
Isaac Merlo
Late Night Downtime [m]
POSTED ON Jul 29, 2022 16:31:17 GMT
Isaac Merlo Avatar
[nospaces]

[attr="class","skullbody"]"Sounds good to me," Isaac said, settling a little more into the couch. It was worryingly comfortable. Maybe it was the tension of a long day or all of those sleepless nights adding up, but Isaac was finding himself fighting off the siren song of rest at every available moment. The candle had been burning so hard at both ends fhat it was starting to melt.[break][break]

Yet it was only going to burn deeper from here. He wanted to tap into his team's deeper potential. He wanted to tap into his own deeper potential. Hell, a part of him wanted to take what he learned, both in what to do and what to never, ever do, and start extending his reach even further. New Grunts. The downtrodden. The listless. The forgotten. As the war in Hoenn's streets grew fiercer by the day, and the meteor hung closer and closer in the sky, he knew they'd all get swept up in it.[break][break]

If he could just share everything he'd learned, the good and the bad alike . . .[break][break]

Oh. Drinks. Right. There were many kinds of those. "You know your way around a bottle, so I'll go with alcohol, please," Isaac said. He was admittedly a little curious how Zev's tastes differed from, say, Cygne's. Was he as refined as his aloof air suggested? Or did he have some secret sweet tooth? Maybe he just stocked his fridge full of the most normal drink he could picture. Shit, did he bring his own product home? Or was he one of Those types who wouldn't buy what he ess selling others?[break][break]

There were so many questions and thoughts racing through Isaac's mind now. It tended to be this way. As the numb of trauma began to ebb back, his head worked overtime to make up the difference. Stupid brain.

[break][break]

[break]

[googlefont=Oswald]
[googlefont=Roboto]
close tab

played by

gunsmile

The Devourer
he / him
January 8
Lavender Town, Kanto
heterosexual
hitman
rocket beast
nenet nzingha
starstruck ✨
6'3" / 190 cm height
6'3" / 190 cm height
awards
2,675 posts
Zev Harcourt DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @zev
Zev Harcourt
Late Night Downtime [m]
POSTED ON Jul 29, 2022 16:56:29 GMT
Zev Harcourt Avatar
Onions and garlic softened in the saucepan while Zev grated small blocks of smoked gouda and cheddar cheeses. He glanced over at Isaac, who hadn't moved from the couch at all since sitting down on it. Zev quickly judged that a rum and soda would be more than enough for the younger man at that late hour.

Two pieces of bread went onto the heated skillet, mayonnaise-side down. A pile of shredded cheese and thin apple slices went on top. Zev then spread fig jam on the inside of the remaining pieces of bread and set them down on top of the grilled cheeses-to-be. After adjusting the heat, he grabbed two clean glasses and walked to the bar cart. A bit of rum (not too much) later and he was back in the kitchen, filling the rest of the glasses with soda.

Turning away from the drinks for a moment, Zev quickly added the rest of the ingredients to the saucepan so that the concoction could come to a boil, then checked the color of the bread before flipping each sandwich. The delicious aroma of cooking food was starting to fill the apartment.

Satisfied, Zev brought the drinks over to the couch where Isaac waited. He held one out to the boy as he took a sip from the other.

"Rum and soda. Nothing fancy tonight," he explained as Chimecho joined them in the living area, floating up near the ceiling.

NOTES
close tab

played by

Wanderer

The Liberator
he/him/his
April 10
Lavaridge Town
Figuring it Out
Penitent
Renegade
awards
4,326 posts
Isaac Merlo DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @isaacmerlo
Isaac Merlo
Late Night Downtime [m]
POSTED ON Jul 29, 2022 18:59:47 GMT
Isaac Merlo Avatar
[nospaces]

[attr="class","skullbody"]Rum and coke, huh? A safe choice. Stable. Most people liked coke, and splashing in some rum kicked it up a notch without drowning out the flavor. It was the option of a man who hedged his bets. From here, the probing could start, and he'd get a sense of the specifics. He just needed to throw that easy lob first.[break][break]

Yeah. Isaac was starting to see how this game worked. He already figured himself to be pretty good at reading people. But if he studied the handiwork of a true master at the craft, his understanding could only deepen.[break][break]

Maybe then, he'd finally understand just what game Zev was running him through.[break][break]

Sometimes, he thought he knew. A killer meets a young man in peril, tells him he sees people as nothing more than tools, and proceeds to find new ways of bringing that young man into his tool shed. Yet, at other times, it just didn't seem to add up. Why would he humor Isaac by sparing a life, instead of killing his victim right in front of him to teach Isaac the value of brutaloty or some junk like that? Why would he give Isaac a surprisingly stable bar job, where he didn't even have to help hide bodies in dumpsters or poison Rangers on shift? Why did the kitchen smell so fucking good!?[break][break]

He took a small, thoughtful sip of his drink, and then he turned to Zev. "So. Why me?"

[break][break]

[break]

[googlefont=Oswald]
[googlefont=Roboto]
close tab

played by

gunsmile

The Devourer
he / him
January 8
Lavender Town, Kanto
heterosexual
hitman
rocket beast
nenet nzingha
starstruck ✨
6'3" / 190 cm height
6'3" / 190 cm height
awards
2,675 posts
Zev Harcourt DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @zev
Zev Harcourt
Late Night Downtime [m]
POSTED ON Jul 29, 2022 23:18:33 GMT
Zev Harcourt Avatar
Zev remained standing. The soup would be boiling soon, and he'd have to lower the heat. And the sandwiches would soon be ready, too.

"Why not you?" he challenged Isaac, though his tone was calm instead of combative. "You're smart, Isaac. And you exercise restraint, even though sometimes you do crazy shit."

It was true enough. Isaac had proven time and again to Zev that he was smart enough to play along with Zev's games — and keep up, too. He knew how to be discreet. If Isaac could learn to hone his strengths and accommodate for his deficiencies, he could be truly dangerous.

Of course, Zev only cared about all that in terms of what Isaac could do for him. That is how Zev saw the world and the people in it: usefulness. He had even molded his own brother into a vital resource for his career back in Kanto. It had been Zev who'd convinced Caleb to join the police, who'd encouraged him into a corrupt cop just so Zev could use Caleb's connections to the criminal world to boost his own career. It had been Zev who'd suggested that Caleb join Rocket's secret police so that Zev could gain access to powerful Rockets and gain reputation in their eyes.

All for the job. All for the hunt.

And Isaac? Zev could use someone loyal, like Caleb had been. Someone who could lend an extra pair of hands, or eyes, or ears — whatever Zev needed to accomplish his goal.

Find Caleb. Bring him home.

Perhaps Isaac reminded Zev a little of Caleb, too. That soft heart, that earnestness, that inner conflict. Boys like Caleb and Isaac wanted to believe they were doing the right thing. Caleb had thought he could counterbalance Zev, rein him in, protect the world from him. Perhaps Isaac thought he could protect the world from monsters, too. They were both wrong, of course. But let them believe.

It was always easier to get work done when you let people believe what they wanted to believe.

Zev craned his head to peek into the kitchen and saw the saucepan was steaming. He walked over, set it to simmer, and removed the sandwiches from the skillet.

"There are some depraved people in the world, Isaac," Zev continued as he carefully cut the sandwiches into triangles. "Yes, worse than me. They don't make good candidates for the work we do." The work Rocket does. "You need a good head on your shoulders and a desire for self-betterment. Which you have in spades."

NOTES
close tab

played by

Wanderer

The Liberator
he/him/his
April 10
Lavaridge Town
Figuring it Out
Penitent
Renegade
awards
4,326 posts
Isaac Merlo DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @isaacmerlo
Isaac Merlo
Late Night Downtime [m]
POSTED ON Jul 30, 2022 4:29:25 GMT
Isaac Merlo Avatar
[nospaces]

[attr="class","skullbody"]Isaac blinked, a stunned silence hanging in the air at Zev's first words. And then he started to laugh.[break][break]

Even for a practiced reader of emotions like Zev, this was going to be a hard one. What the fuck emotion was even coming out of Isaac right now? Grief? Doubt? Amusement? Fear? Rage? Joy? Warmth? Everything and more molded together into a single slurry, a sensory overload of everything and nothing at the same time. The boy's eyes were squeezed so shut that they were starting to hurt his head. He looked practically breathless by the end. Finally, when he recovered, he looked Zev dead in the eyes.[break][break]

"You're the only person that's ever told me that."[break][break]

He sighed. Did he believe Zev when he said it? That was another story entirely. But at least he was listening. "You and my little brother, that is," he clarified. "Not that any of that that matters anymore." Huh. Interesting. Perhaps Zev wasn't the only one with family ties that had been severed a little too brusquely.[break][break]

Compliment of questionable applicability aside, he did understand the gist of what Zev meant. He was a quick thinker, made a point of being aware in most situations, and was just as capable of biting his tongue to work subtle work as he was dynamic, hail-mary schemes that tended to bear fruit more often than they should. "But I see what you mean," he admitted, if only to show Zev he wasn't just spitting on his compliment. Would Zev even care? Maybe. Maybe not. But Isaac felt almost obligated to at least properly participate in this tactical assessment of a conversation.[break][break]

It was a lot easier of a thought to have before the sandwiches came out. "If this is what you consider nothing fancy, I'm scared to know what a big-ticket dinner is in your books," Isaac said. He tried not to look impressed. He failed. Fuck, these looked and smelled delicious. The second they were cool enough to pounce on . . .[break][break]

Urk. Focus, focus. Zev was done mentally monologuing and started talking again. At the mention of people more depraved than Zev, Isaac ruefully laughed. "Why else do you think I've been so shaken up today?" he asked. "I faced a monster like that. And I was helpless. If those monsters aren't going to stop, then someone needs to be able to stop them. Whether for hunting Rocket down, or trying to drag it down with them."[break][break]

The Hoenn Purge was the first. Would it be the last?[break][break]

Maybe Zev was right. Maybe Rocket did need more people like him. People who actually wanted to make the organization and the region better, instead of using it as an outlet for their worst impulses. There was much about Rocket that rubbed him the wrong way. The power to change it . . . it was an intoxicating thought.[break][break]

It was also exactly what a compliment from a man that saw people as tools would want him to think. Even as the alluring idea lingered in his head, he did his best to shake it. There were only two things this could have been. "Are you telling me what you think I want to hear?" Isaac asked. "Or are you telling me what you want me to be?"

[break][break]

[break]
[attr="class","skullinfo"]553 WORDS /

[googlefont=Oswald]
[googlefont=Roboto]
close tab

played by

gunsmile

The Devourer
he / him
January 8
Lavender Town, Kanto
heterosexual
hitman
rocket beast
nenet nzingha
starstruck ✨
6'3" / 190 cm height
6'3" / 190 cm height
awards
2,675 posts
Zev Harcourt DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @zev
Zev Harcourt
Late Night Downtime [m]
POSTED ON Jul 30, 2022 12:36:41 GMT
Zev Harcourt Avatar
Zev waited in the kitchen while the sandwiches cooled on plates and the tomato soup finished simmering. He listened to Isaac in the meantime, making a mental note of the words 'little brother'. But he said nothing, keeping his thoughts to himself, as the other man mentioned — not for the first time that night — the monster he had recently met.

The soup was ready. Zev took out an immersion blender and blitzed the concoction in the saucepan until it was a thick and creamy. Perfect for dipping the sandwiches into. He ladled two bowls and carried Isaac's soup and sandwich to the couch, placing them onto the coffee table in front of the boy. Then Zev went back for his and settled into the armchair next to the couch.

The sandwiches were warm, but not enough to burn the mouth. But the soup was piping hot still. Zev took a bite of his sandwich first and savored the pleasant combination of sweet figs, sharp cheese, and tart apple with the crunch of toasted bread.

He chewed and swallowed, then chased it down with a sip of his mixed drink, before answering Isaac's question. "I'm just telling you the facts. People who run criminal organizations like Rocket need level heads and steady hands. None of this killing spree stuff, none of the violent debauchery that you see from some people."

Zev paused for another bite. "The Hounds who were chasing you?" he continued, disdain twisting his features. "They got their entertainment from depraved games. It's amateur shit. You don't get far cultivating a reputation like that."

NOTES
close tab

played by

Wanderer

The Liberator
he/him/his
April 10
Lavaridge Town
Figuring it Out
Penitent
Renegade
awards
4,326 posts
Isaac Merlo DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @isaacmerlo
Isaac Merlo
Late Night Downtime [m]
POSTED ON Jul 30, 2022 15:50:08 GMT
Isaac Merlo Avatar
[nospaces]

[attr="class","skullbody"]It looked even better up close than it did from a distance. Isaac's stomach and resolve were each in agony. It was a lot harder to suspect one's intentions when they were also, quite literally, buttering you up with amazing looking food. One bite later, he confirmed it: amazing tasting, too.[break][break]

It didn't help that he was right. He was wrong about Isaac being the right choice. Isaac's heart was too tender, no matter how often he tried to insist it wasn't. A man against the unnecessary exploitation of Pokemon in an organization with a thriving black market and several poaching operations . . . either he'd simply have to turn a blinder eye to those parts than usual, or a truly radical shift would be needed. Besides. He could start with humans. He could at least make sure those would be okay.[break][break]

Zev had a point when it came to prestige, too. Of all the gangs Isaac had been sent to bust up, the Hounds had been among the least respected and least notorious. Were they the only ones to get one over him in the end? Yes. But it was different. What they had in brutality, surprise, and home turf advantage they utterly lacked in clout. They would have celebrated over Isaac's corpse, finished out their smuggling contract, and then went right back to being nobodies.[break][break]

"And do you enjoy it?" Isaac asked, the question he had tried to form finally solidifying in the back of his mind. "Or does it mean as little to you as having to hear out the problems of an incredibly divorced man?" Or his problems, for that matter, because Zev sure had a way with avoiding them in a way that didn't make you realize he was avoiding them at first. Were the Cuphant of The Phantom not filling the room of Isaac's mind, he may not have even noticed Zev's lack of engagement with the idea of bigger monsters.[break][break]

This conversation was for Isaac, but it wasn't for Isaac. Did that make any sense?

[break][break]

[break]

[googlefont=Oswald]
[googlefont=Roboto]
close tab

played by

gunsmile

The Devourer
he / him
January 8
Lavender Town, Kanto
heterosexual
hitman
rocket beast
nenet nzingha
starstruck ✨
6'3" / 190 cm height
6'3" / 190 cm height
awards
2,675 posts
Zev Harcourt DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @zev
Zev Harcourt
Late Night Downtime [m]
POSTED ON Jul 30, 2022 18:17:07 GMT
Zev Harcourt Avatar
Chancing a burned mouth, Zev dipped half of his sandwich into the steaming hot soup and took a bite. The acidic tomato flavor balanced the cheesy, sweet-tart notes of the sandwich beautifully. It was a perfect late-night snack.

"What, killing?" His smile was more amusement than wickedness this time. "Of course I do."

Setting down his food on the coffee table, Zev picked up his glass of rum and soda and sat back in the armchair, looking completely relaxed in his home. When he spoke, his voice was calm and pragmatic, as if he were speaking of any other topic.

"Killing people is a skill, Isaac. Like any sport or art. If you're going to do it well, you might as well enjoy it. And on the other hand, if you enjoy it, then you should do it well. Otherwise, what's the point?"

NOTES
close tab

played by

Wanderer

The Liberator
he/him/his
April 10
Lavaridge Town
Figuring it Out
Penitent
Renegade
awards
4,326 posts
Isaac Merlo DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @isaacmerlo
Isaac Merlo
Late Night Downtime [m]
POSTED ON Jul 31, 2022 6:49:16 GMT
Isaac Merlo Avatar
[nospaces]

[attr="class","skullbody"]Somehow, that wasn't a surprise. Isaac had the feeling if you killed without enjoying it, you were either a ticking time bomb or an emotional void on a level that even surpassed Zev. There were plenty of things people did without enjoying them. Like taxes. But those were all small potatoes in comparisons. They couldn't compare to the sheer impact ending an entire human life.[break][break]

As he mulled the implications earlier, he wondered who he'd fear more. A killer who enjoyed his wicked work far too much, or a killer that took no pleasure in it whatsoever.[break][break]

That said, the way Zev calmly explained his thoughts while reclining in an armchair with a drink in hand stuck with Isaac. It was like seeing a father trying to hype his son up before the big game, if said game was the most dangerous game. Isaac could only think of those create-a-caption contests that showed up on particularly slow news days. If someone had looked at this scene and tried to publish Zev's exact words, they'd probably be put on a list.[break][break]

And yet, here they were. Truth truly is stranger than fiction.[break][break]

"I figured the job would be the point," Isaac admitted. "I mean, none of this stuff exists in a vacuum, right? You enjoy killing, but you don't just go out and cut a man's throat in the middle of the street." A pause. "Do you?"[break][break]

Then again, did it really matter? After all, until their encounter, Zev hadn't known Isaac. He was an unknown element, a low tier asset at best. He certainly wasn't important enough to get his own security detail. Despite this, Zev had taken up a job to shadow the mission and kill any who interfered. The kills had reasons behind them, but those reasons were of such astronomically low significance. If anything, they were more like excuses. The thinnest veil of plausible deniability so Zev could claim to be a professional, not a monster.[break][break]

The mere idea filled Isaac with revulsion. He couldn't imagine relishing in opportunities such as this. However, Zev's words weren't without a point. If Isaac was so against the act, what would happen if he needed to step up to the plate? Would his technique be hesitant, sloppy, inefficient, even dangerous? How could he protect others, even protect himself, if he had to fight himself just to do it?[break][break]

No. Isaac was not even entertaining the idea that Zev made sense. And even if he made sense, that didn't mean he was right.

[break][break]

[break]
[attr="class","skullinfo"]422 WORDS /

[googlefont=Oswald]
[googlefont=Roboto]
close tab

played by

gunsmile

The Devourer
he / him
January 8
Lavender Town, Kanto
heterosexual
hitman
rocket beast
nenet nzingha
starstruck ✨
6'3" / 190 cm height
6'3" / 190 cm height
awards
2,675 posts
Zev Harcourt DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @zev
Zev Harcourt
Late Night Downtime [m]
POSTED ON Jul 31, 2022 11:31:49 GMT
Zev Harcourt Avatar
Zev scoffed at the suggestion. "Of course not," he replied before taking a sip of his mixed drink. "Only people who can't control themselves, like serial killers, go around killing wantonly. It's disgraceful."

He exchanged the drink for his food again and dipped his grilled cheese into the tomato soup for another bite. The soup had cooled down just enough that it no longer posed a scalding threat.

"That's what I mean by restraint, Isaac. You can't just go by your impulses all the time. And while I will kill someone if they get in my way, it's true I try to kill only for the job. It's a… personal code, you could say. One I decided for myself a long time ago. I have no reason to kill you, for example, so I won't, and you've probably already guessed that."

Chimecho decided at that moment to float down to Zev's side and trill inquisitively, peering at the sandwich in his hand. Without a second thought, he offered it to her. She took a delicate bite and chimed with joy at the flavor and cheesy goodness.

"Anyway," Zev continued, turning back to Isaac, "tell me about this monster you faced."

NOTES