thorn

Gavin Merlino
he/him
october 28th
circhester, galar
demisexual
the harbinger
underboss
creatures of habit, carrion flowers, growing from repeated crimes.
awards
7,851 posts
part of
TAG WITH @gavin
Cillian Quinn
diplomatic immunity [c]
POSTED ON Aug 26, 2022 21:50:51 GMT
Cillian Quinn Avatar
Gavin hasn't had a proper sleep in days. As he sits behind the desk, straight-backed and stern, it doesn't show but for the shadows under his eyes. This is what Rocket has taught him: weakness is a thing to be exploited.

Show no weakness.

It is hard to disguise the weakness of their city in the aftermath of calamity. The Tree of Life's absence is like a scab being picked from a wound, exposing the ugly reality beneath. Necrozma's attack was devastating. With forewarning from himself and , Rocket had evacuated many in time, but others who'd stood to fight had not been so lucky. Some had lost limbs, others their lives. That he is whole and physically unharmed in comparison is a blessing, but psychological scars tear through the psyche where Necrozma's claws had failed to rend flesh.

She won't see those scars.

What will see is one of Rocket's known agents occupying an office that had once belonged to the League, his presence felt in the now impersonal feel of the space. No pictures on the walls, naught on the desk but a closed laptop and a cup of coffee, and an air in the room like a weighted blanket; Lugia's PRESSURE. The corrupt legend perches like a glaring gargoyle over the office building, morning sunlight catching on her ivory spines. Apart from her distant presence, Gavin is entirely alone.

They've put this off as long as they could.

"Miss Goode."

close tab

played by

shiv

the good commissioner
she/her
lilycove city
bisexual
league commissioner
commissioner
single
5'9" height
5'9" height
i used to dream in the dark of palisades park.
awards
598 posts
dahlia goode DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @dahlia
dahlia goode
diplomatic immunity [c]
POSTED ON Aug 29, 2022 23:19:08 GMT
dahlia goode Avatar
[nospaces]
[attr="class","minimal"]
[attr="class","top"]

under the canopy of lugia's shadow, dahlia's security team remain stiff and poised outside of the office, but she enters alone. call it foolish. call it good will.[break][break]

she does not want her presence to be perceived as threat after all.[break][break]

"hello." the commissioner says. she refrains from commenting about the style of renovation. "mr. merlino, this has been long overdue... how is sootopolis faring these days?"[break][break]

dahlia remains standing by her seat, gold hair woven tight.

[break][break]

[attr="class","ooc"] [break]

[attr="class","pokesprite pokemon dragonite"]

[attr="class","credit"] [attr="class","fas fa-cookie-bite"]

[newclass=".minimal"]--accent:#e2a378; position:relative; z-index:1; overflow:hidden; [/newclass]
[newclass=".minimal blockquote"]width:350px; margin:0px auto; text-transform:lowercase; font-size:12px; line-height:15px; border-radius:0px 0px 10px 10px; border-top:none; padding:30px 50px; letter-spacing:0.2px; [/newclass]
[newclass=".minimal blockquote img"] margin:1px 15px 2px 1px; border-radius:10px; [/newclass]
[newclass=".minimal blockquote b, .minimal blockquote i"]color:var(--accent) } .minimal blockquote b { font-size:14px!important } .minimal blockquote u { font-style:italic; color:var(--accent); text-decoration:underline dotted; border-bottom:none; letter-spacing:1px; [/newclass]
[newclass=".minimal .top"]background-color:var(--accent); padding:10px; height:15px; background-image:url(https://image.ibb.co/dMFuMc/flower.png); background-repeat:no-repeat;background-position:bottom right; width:430px; margin:0px auto; border:1px solid #232323; [/newclass]
[newclass=".minimal .ooc"]border-top:1px solid #222; padding-top:15px; text-align:center; margin-top:15px; [/newclass]
[newclass=".minimal .ooc a"]font:bold 15px 'Poppins';[/newclass]
[newclass=".minimal .credit"]font-size:15px; position:absolute; z-index:99; right:95px; bottom:5px; border-radius:100px; color:var(--accent); opacity:0.6; } .minimal .credit a { transition:0.5s all } .minimal .credit a:hover { transition:0.5s all; color:var(--accent)!important; [/newclass]
close tab

played by

thorn

Gavin Merlino
he/him
october 28th
circhester, galar
demisexual
the harbinger
underboss
awards
7,851 posts
part of
TAG WITH @gavin
Cillian Quinn
diplomatic immunity [c]
POSTED ON Aug 30, 2022 3:23:21 GMT
Cillian Quinn Avatar
She is more cordial than he expects; a lifetime of dealing with Rocket has left the impression of fangs and claws, but Hoenn's commissioner must hide her sharp edges behind a demure façade.

How many times has Walsh worn that face? Gavin can't help but wonder.

"Far worse than if members of your Elite Four hadn't impeded our efforts to deal with the threat of Necrozma, I'm sure." He cuts straight to the bone with a smile as white as his patron's spines. "But our swift intervention kept casualties of its citizenry to a minimum."

Rocket had suffered casualties of their own. Valerio. This he keeps to himself.

Show no weakness.

"I won't bite with anything but words." Not today. Lips press thin, concealing sharp canines, and Gavin gestures with a scarred hand. "May as well make yourself comfortable."

close tab

played by

shiv

the good commissioner
she/her
lilycove city
bisexual
league commissioner
commissioner
single
5'9" height
5'9" height
awards
598 posts
dahlia goode DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @dahlia
dahlia goode
diplomatic immunity [c]
POSTED ON Sept 1, 2022 23:50:59 GMT
dahlia goode Avatar
[nospaces]
[attr="class","minimal"]
[attr="class","top"]

"might i remind you that i am here to offer you and the city aid."[break][break]

she does not raise her voice, but each syllable propels her to the next line like a rising shoal tide.[break][break]

"we did not bring necrozma here. we responded to it."

[break][break]

[newclass=".minimal"]--accent:#e2a378; position:relative; z-index:1; overflow:hidden; [/newclass]
[newclass=".minimal blockquote"]width:350px; margin:0px auto; text-transform:lowercase; font-size:12px; line-height:15px; border-radius:0px 0px 10px 10px; border-top:none; padding:30px 50px; letter-spacing:0.2px; [/newclass]
[newclass=".minimal blockquote img"] margin:1px 15px 2px 1px; border-radius:10px; [/newclass]
[newclass=".minimal blockquote b, .minimal blockquote i"]color:var(--accent) } .minimal blockquote b { font-size:14px!important } .minimal blockquote u { font-style:italic; color:var(--accent); text-decoration:underline dotted; border-bottom:none; letter-spacing:1px; [/newclass]
[newclass=".minimal .top"]background-color:var(--accent); padding:10px; height:15px; background-image:url(https://image.ibb.co/dMFuMc/flower.png); background-repeat:no-repeat;background-position:bottom right; width:430px; margin:0px auto; border:1px solid #232323; [/newclass]
[newclass=".minimal .ooc"]border-top:1px solid #222; padding-top:15px; text-align:center; margin-top:15px; [/newclass]
[newclass=".minimal .credit"]font-size:15px; position:absolute; z-index:99; right:95px; bottom:5px; border-radius:100px; color:var(--accent); opacity:0.6; } .minimal .credit a { transition:0.5s all } .minimal .credit a:hover { transition:0.5s all; color:var(--accent)!important; [/newclass]
close tab

played by

thorn

Gavin Merlino
he/him
october 28th
circhester, galar
demisexual
the harbinger
underboss
awards
7,851 posts
part of
TAG WITH @gavin
Cillian Quinn
diplomatic immunity [c]
POSTED ON Sept 2, 2022 9:55:07 GMT
Cillian Quinn Avatar
Gavin, too, keeps his voice perfectly level.

"I need no reminding."

It's the only reason her presence in Sootopolis hasn't set off every alarm they have. Pride urges Gavin to turn her away before negotiations have begun but loyalty, to Rocket and to the citizens they'd taken under their rule, wins out.

"Many of your League responded to the threat, it's true. As did many of ours. I've no qualms with those who stepped in to help." He was even thankful, loathe as he might be to admit it to anyone but himself. "But some of your strongest, whose strengths surely would have been well-suited to taking down this unknown threat, chose instead to instigate an attack on my agents."

He wouldn't not stand for it, wouldn't accept it even in their most desperate moment. Show no weakness.

"Necrozma was no more Rocket's doing than yours."

close tab

played by

shiv

the good commissioner
she/her
lilycove city
bisexual
league commissioner
commissioner
single
5'9" height
5'9" height
awards
598 posts
dahlia goode DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @dahlia
dahlia goode
diplomatic immunity [c]
POSTED ON Sept 4, 2022 3:20:14 GMT
dahlia goode Avatar
[nospaces]
[attr="class","minimal"]
[attr="class","top"]

"whether our respective parties share the blame for necrozma's arrival is arbitrary."[break][break]

the commissioner says. by now, she is comfortable in her role. her posture is practiced, her expression revealing no nerves, just a sharp stoicism found in board rooms. still, she makes time and space for smiles.[break][break]

"instead, we can focus on the fact that team rocket could not handle necrozma alone." the commissioner says. "and now, you require our help once again."

[break][break]

close tab

played by

thorn

Gavin Merlino
he/him
october 28th
circhester, galar
demisexual
the harbinger
underboss
awards
7,851 posts
part of
TAG WITH @gavin
Cillian Quinn
diplomatic immunity [c]
POSTED ON Sept 4, 2022 15:57:12 GMT
Cillian Quinn Avatar
The implication that Rocket might need the League to sustain its power is an infuriating one, but for all his acerbic words, Gavin does not rise to argument. There is a flash of fury in his amber eyes, muted as he blinks, but no other indication of emotion.

"Do you remember the war?" He doesn't sneer as he asks, but nor does he smile. "I was at Mauville, and I wasn't alone." She'd know, of course, for Velmos and Jules Cotillard had conveniently vanished in the aftermath. "And Necrozma's first appearance, in the Blackout of Slateport?" We were there, too. Rocket were everywhere.

Valerio. Regret sits heavily in his chest.

"I'm here now for the sake of Sootopolis, not Team Rocket alone. We could easily sustain our own forces." Whether or not that was the truth, she'd have to guess. A darker implication stretches, unspoken. We could maintain our presence while its citizens starve. "But I've no wish to see the city suffer needlessly."

close tab

played by

shiv

the good commissioner
she/her
lilycove city
bisexual
league commissioner
commissioner
single
5'9" height
5'9" height
awards
598 posts
dahlia goode DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @dahlia
dahlia goode
diplomatic immunity [c]
POSTED ON Sept 13, 2022 5:52:06 GMT
dahlia goode Avatar
[nospaces]
[attr="class","minimal"]
[attr="class","top"]

of course she remembers the war. ever since the birth of her admiration, she has been thrust into it. wreathed by immediate conflicts and their macabre gravities, rendering nights sleepless and thorned with learning curves like bisharp blades.[break][break]

"of course, i do."[break][break]

the commissioner says and saves any rebuttal or retort in favour of respect for the traumas of the three day war. she'd rather not relive it.[break][break]

"if you can easily sustain your own, then it seems like your organization is being stingy." she shakes her head. "feel free to correct me if i am wrong... so, what does team rocket want from the league for sootopolis?"

[break][break]

close tab

played by

thorn

Gavin Merlino
he/him
october 28th
circhester, galar
demisexual
the harbinger
underboss
awards
7,851 posts
part of
TAG WITH @gavin
Cillian Quinn
diplomatic immunity [c]
POSTED ON Sept 13, 2022 22:11:43 GMT
Cillian Quinn Avatar
She elaborates no further; perhaps in a gesture of good faith, he does not further pick at an opened wound.

"I said that we could," he corrects, brow arching, "not that we are. But to sustain our forces requires far less than what would be needed for an entire city." Had she missed the threat, or chose to disregard? He isn't certain.

We want nothing from you is what he wants to say, stubborn to a fault, but the weight of responsibility binds him.

"What are you willing to spare?" His golden gaze remains intense. "And what might be requested, in return?"

Nothing comes without a price.

close tab

played by

shiv

the good commissioner
she/her
lilycove city
bisexual
league commissioner
commissioner
single
5'9" height
5'9" height
awards
598 posts
dahlia goode DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @dahlia
dahlia goode
diplomatic immunity [c]
POSTED ON Sept 18, 2022 4:26:51 GMT
dahlia goode Avatar
[nospaces]
[attr="class","minimal"]
[attr="class","top"]

"necessities. food. medical." the commissioner is quick to recite her list. on her lap, her hands clasp together in a polite shell. "league personnel should meteoroid hysteria become difficult to control."[break][break]

anchored by her overlapped palms, she replies in the negative. the man's gold stare is held with her own blues.[break][break]

"nothing would be requested." dahlia says. "we are here to help."[break][break]

all rocket must do is accept.[break][break]

but to accept would mean another acceptance. an acceptance of shortcomings.

[break][break]

close tab

played by

thorn

Gavin Merlino
he/him
october 28th
circhester, galar
demisexual
the harbinger
underboss
awards
7,851 posts
part of
TAG WITH @gavin
Cillian Quinn
diplomatic immunity [c]
POSTED ON Sept 18, 2022 17:13:02 GMT
Cillian Quinn Avatar
I don't like this.

He recalls conversations with as they'd puzzled over the fate of Sootopolis, searching desperately for ways to help the city sustain itself in the future. They needed the aid, the other underboss had agreed, but not at the cost of their reputation. While Gavin had already planned insistence of exchange, rather than charity, it had been Mars to suggest that exchange be off-books.

Gavin's tongue swipes sharp canines as he licks his lips.

"No personnel needed; we are not short on numbers." That was the problem, really. Too many mouths to feed. "Food and medical would be accepted, but on one condition: we do this off the books. That shouldn't be a concern, surely, if your priority is the well-being of Sootopolis citizens." Or is your concern only for the League's reputation? "But I accept no charity. Surely there is something Rocket can offer you, Miss Goode. You alone. No one else has to know."

He gestures with his left hand, vicious scars on his palm marring the flesh. "Name a price."

close tab

played by

shiv

the good commissioner
she/her
lilycove city
bisexual
league commissioner
commissioner
single
5'9" height
5'9" height
awards
598 posts
dahlia goode DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @dahlia
dahlia goode
diplomatic immunity [c]
POSTED ON Sept 22, 2022 5:08:16 GMT
dahlia goode Avatar
[nospaces]
[attr="class","minimal"]
[attr="class","top"]

"off the books?" The Commissioner bestows unto Gavin a look of incredulosity. "my presence and purpose here has already been made public by my government. the people of sootopolis have seen me arrive."[break][break]

She stirs little. Stays comfortable in the bend of her chair.[break][break]

"there is nothing that can be hidden. if i return, then it is with the honest narrative that you refused our help."

[break][break]

close tab

played by

thorn

Gavin Merlino
he/him
october 28th
circhester, galar
demisexual
the harbinger
underboss
awards
7,851 posts
part of
TAG WITH @gavin
Cillian Quinn
diplomatic immunity [c]
POSTED ON Sept 22, 2022 23:29:58 GMT
Cillian Quinn Avatar
"And they will see you leave," Gavin agrees, shrugging his shoulders. "I see no reason they should be privy to the finer details."

He certainly wouldn't be discussing those details with anyone but and his fellow underbosses. It was for them to know, and Rocket and Sootopolis' unaffiliated citizenry to wonder.

"Your lack of ambition is disappointing." He shakes his head, the curve of his lips more sinister than smiling. "As if you haven't lied to your public, your people before." And would do so again, he's certain, if it were to benefit her. "But, you are not the only one with a reputation to uphold, Miss Goode. Should collaboration be against your judgement, then I'm afraid I have nothing further to discuss."

He doesn't, can't, place his trust in the League.

close tab

played by

shiv

the good commissioner
she/her
lilycove city
bisexual
league commissioner
commissioner
single
5'9" height
5'9" height
awards
598 posts
dahlia goode DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @dahlia
dahlia goode
diplomatic immunity [c]
POSTED ON Oct 4, 2022 5:51:24 GMT
dahlia goode Avatar
[nospaces]
[attr="class","minimal"]
[attr="class","top"]

"there is no lack of ambition here. just a lack of experience. on your part."[break][break]

dahlia sweeps her hand gracefully to her chest. as if out of sympathy. one borne out of a personal well rather than a political engine.[break][break]

"for when goods are transferred, there must always be a record. always a receipt detailing the inventory. the giver and receiver."[break][break]

the commissioner says.[break][break]

"when league vessels arrive with supplies on sootopolis’ doorstep and you turn them away, i wouldn't be concerned about my people." she avoids the his snakebit lips, letting her own smile riposte his. "i'd be more concerned for your people. your people who will begin to learn more and more that sootopolis is a barren crater. your people who will feel betrayed and tricked by you."

[break][break]

close tab

played by

thorn

Gavin Merlino
he/him
october 28th
circhester, galar
demisexual
the harbinger
underboss
awards
7,851 posts
part of
TAG WITH @gavin
Cillian Quinn
diplomatic immunity [c]
POSTED ON Oct 4, 2022 8:00:14 GMT
Cillian Quinn Avatar
Does she think me a fool?

"Receipts can be lost. Supplies unaccounted for."

But he is no longer trying to convince her. Show no weakness. He seeks only to deflect the onus of ignorance.

My people. Not hers, he notes.

"You have tricked them for years, or they would not have turned to us in desperation." Sootopolis had not fallen beneath force alone. He does not thrive on the verbal sparring as seems to; it tires him. "We will secure our supplies elsewhere. League vessels intruding upon our waters will be dealt with accordingly."