roux

kosei
he/him
Sept 3
rustboro city, hoenn
pansexual
maker of many mistakes
associate
i used to dream in the dark of palisades park.
awards
186 posts
Kosei Kiryu DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @kosei
Kosei Kiryu
liar, liar [c]
POSTED ON Sept 8, 2022 15:42:28 GMT
Kosei Kiryu Avatar
[nospaces]
[attr="class","minimal"]
[attr="class","top"]

This whole situation made him feel sick to his stomach. Reluctance twisted at his insides. A bitter taste had settled on his tongue and he was about to turn around and head back to Slateport. It had been a long trip and he was lucky that Miu had managed to sleep through most of it. Every glance toward her reasserted his decision and nullified most objections he had about crawling back to him. If it wasn't for Miu, he wouldn't be here. However, that wasn't entirely true, if not for her this would be exactly where he'd be still.
[break][break]
This had been less complicated then. It had been him and his friend, simply building something. Sure, Enzo had handled the most of it. The bastard had a specific skill for numbers and business where Kosei had been an utter dunce about finances. Clearly, he hadn't learned a damn thing since then, considering he was once again in a financial hole. Old ghosts were hard to banish and he had not completely cut himself away from his old life.
[break][break]
"We're going to see Uncle Enzo, right?" Miu muttered as she woke, wiping the remnants of sleep from her eyes. There was always this glint of light in her eyes when she was excited about something. This idiot didn't deserve that.
[break][break]
"Don't call him that," He said without thinking, sighing then. It wasn't right for him to say anything on the matter. Maybe it was better to let the kid live under the fantasy that she had a family beyond him. That she could depend upon someone other than her grumpy dad for once. Even if the alternative was a snake. She ignored him then, as she was prone to doing when she didn't want to be told what to do. This time he didn't press it.
[break][break]
The Nimbus was a gaudy thing, he'd always said as much. Though most people that Enzo was attempting to entice would likely think it modern and sleek and classy. A monument to greed and good wholesome Rocket values. "Come on, we're here." Exiting the back of the cab, he pulled out her Clefairy-shaped backpack. "Remember, you have schoolwork, got it? We're not here for the fun of it." Her irregular silence suggested she was once again coasting right over his words.
[break][break]
Better to get this over and done with.
[break][break]

[attr="class","milkcredit"] [attr="class","fas fa-cookie-bite"]

[newclass=".minimal"]--accent:#49769E; position:relative; z-index:1; overflow:hidden; [/newclass]

[newclass=".minimal blockquote"]width:350px; margin:0px auto; text-transform:lowercase; font-size:12px; line-height:15px; border-radius:0px 0px 10px 10px; border-top:none; padding:30px 50px; letter-spacing:0.2px; [/newclass]

[newclass=".minimal blockquote img"] margin:1px 15px 2px 1px; border-radius:10px; [/newclass]

[newclass=".minimal blockquote b, .minimal blockquote i"]color:var(--accent) } .minimal blockquote b { font-size:14px!important } .minimal blockquote u { font-style:italic; color:var(--accent); text-decoration:underline dotted; border-bottom:none; letter-spacing:1px; [/newclass]

[newclass=".minimal .top"]background-color:var(--accent); padding:10px; height:15px; background-image:url(https://image.ibb.co/dMFuMc/flower.png); background-repeat:no-repeat;background-position:bottom right; width:430px; margin:0px auto; border:1px solid #232323; [/newclass]

[newclass=".minimal .ooc"]border-top:1px solid #222; padding-top:15px; text-align:center; margin-top:15px; [/newclass]

[newclass=".minimal .ooc a"]font:bold 15px 'Poppins';[/newclass]

[newclass=".minimal .milkcredit"]font-size:15px; position:absolute; z-index:99; right:95px; bottom:5px; border-radius:100px; color:var(--accent); opacity:0.6; } .minimal .milkcredit a { transition:0.5s all } .minimal .milkcredit a:hover { transition:0.5s all; color:var(--accent)!important; [/newclass]

close tab

played by

lou

enzo / the proprietor
he/him
thirty-two
april 4
alto mare / sootopolis
bisexual
hotelier
executive
I’m haunted like a wolf. I feed, I feed like a wolf. I’m lost and I’m lonely, I hunger for you only.
awards
292 posts
part of
TAG WITH @enzo
vincenzo de luca
liar, liar [c]
POSTED ON Sept 8, 2022 19:00:56 GMT
vincenzo de luca Avatar
[nospaces]
[attr="class","enzo"]
[attr="class","top"]

Every day at The Nimbus was much the same–attend to the patrons, maintain order, keep everything running like the well-oiled machine that it was. As much as Enzo had craved this life built from no more than scraps, it could get a bit boring. Which was why fate must’ve decided he was in sore need of a deviation.[break][break]

His attention drifted away from the dossier in his hands as the large main doors pushed open. A carefully tailored smile of pleasantry had already slipped up across his face, ready to play the accommodating manager as he always did. But as lilac eyes took in who was walking through his hotel’s doors, they widened just a touch. His eyebrows climbed high, and maybe he felt a touch of something smug being to coil in his chest.[break][break]

“Well, well,” he muttered, all purring smoothness as he handed the paperwork back to his desk clerk. “Do what you have to appease them. Extra room service if need be. Their overall stay extending longer is what’s more essential here. Rearrange my other appointments for the afternoon. I do believe I’ll be quite busy.”[break][break]

That said, he moved away as she agreed and set to it. Long strides as he crossed the grand foyer, and though his smile was toothy and wide, it shouldn’t have been mistaken for warm. Of course, Kosei would know as much, annoying as that was. “What’s this? Someone’s come crawling back? Seems the mighty have fallen, but I had no idea– it didn’t even make a single headline.”[break][break]

Petty remarks cast, Enzo’s attention swiftly dropped lower to the little girl at Kosei’s side. His entire demeanor seemed to morph and shift in the time it took for him to stoop down to her level and open his arms in offering. Now he was warm and kind, given that somehow Kosei’s kid had become a veritable soft spot for the man. “Miu, my topolina! Have you gotten taller? I think that you must’ve–you’re nearly as big as my krokorok now.” Light and friendly as he spoke.[break][break]

Kosei, who?

[break][break]
| xoxo

[newclass=".enzo"]--accent:#b69fc7; position:relative; z-index:1; overflow:hidden; [/newclass]

[newclass=".enzo blockquote"]width:350px; margin:0px auto; text-transform:lowercase; font-size:12px; line-height:15px; border-radius:0px 0px 10px 10px; border-top:none; padding:30px 50px; letter-spacing:0.2px; [/newclass]

[newclass=".enzo blockquote img"] margin:1px 15px 2px 1px; border-radius:10px; [/newclass]

[newclass=".enzo blockquote b, .enzo blockquote i"]color:var(--accent) } .enzo blockquote b { font-size:14px!important } .enzo blockquote u { font-style:italic; color:var(--accent); text-decoration:underline dotted; border-bottom:none; letter-spacing:1px; [/newclass]

[newclass=".enzo .top"]background-color:var(--accent); padding:10px; height:15px; background-image:url(https://image.ibb.co/dMFuMc/flower.png); background-repeat:no-repeat;background-position:bottom right; width:430px; margin:0px auto; border:1px solid #232323; [/newclass]

[newclass=".enzo .ooc"]border-top:1px solid #222; padding-top:15px; text-align:center; margin-top:15px; [/newclass]

[newclass=".enzo .ooc a"]font:bold 15px 'Poppins';[/newclass]

[newclass=".enzo .milkcredit"]font-size:15px; position:absolute; z-index:99; right:95px; bottom:5px; border-radius:100px; color:var(--accent); opacity:0.6; } .enzo .milkcredit a { transition:0.5s all } .minimal .milkcredit a:hover { transition:0.5s all; color:var(--accent)!important; [/newclass]
close tab

played by

roux

kosei
he/him
Sept 3
rustboro city, hoenn
pansexual
maker of many mistakes
associate
awards
186 posts
Kosei Kiryu DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @kosei
Kosei Kiryu
liar, liar [c]
POSTED ON Sept 8, 2022 19:34:05 GMT
Kosei Kiryu Avatar
[nospaces]
[attr="class","minimal"]
[attr="class","top"]

His stomach sunk a little as they walked through the front door of this godawful establishment he'd had indirect involvement in causing. God, this was so annoying. He spotted Enzo almost immediately, he was hard to miss. In a room full of people, most people focused on the pale snake with his endearing, cheap smile. Enzo slipped out from behind the front desk, prancing towards them with an expression that made Kosei want to bite down until he tasted blood. Those words almost made him turn around, throw Miu over his shoulder, and evacuate out the same door he entered through.
[break][break]
He'd made the choice to come back here. There were other ways to make money, but not the kind of money he needed with the urgency he required. The Nimbus was a hub for all the worst things in the world. Though asking for a job (even if temporary), was about as humiliating as it got.
[break][break]
"I'm not crawl—"
[break][break]
"Uncle Enzo!" Miu screeched, launching herself forward into awaiting arms. Kosei could feel his eye twitch. Don't make a scene, he reminded himself. It was not his daughter's fault that she couldn't see the bastard for what he was. Then again, that meant the possibility of her seeing him for what he was too.
[break][break]
"You know why I'm here. Can we get this over with? A quick job, that's it."

[break][break]

[newclass=".minimal"]--accent:#49769E; position:relative; z-index:1; overflow:hidden; [/newclass]

[newclass=".minimal blockquote"]width:350px; margin:0px auto; text-transform:lowercase; font-size:12px; line-height:15px; border-radius:0px 0px 10px 10px; border-top:none; padding:30px 50px; letter-spacing:0.2px; [/newclass]

[newclass=".minimal blockquote img"] margin:1px 15px 2px 1px; border-radius:10px; [/newclass]

[newclass=".minimal blockquote b, .minimal blockquote i"]color:var(--accent) } .minimal blockquote b { font-size:14px!important } .minimal blockquote u { font-style:italic; color:var(--accent); text-decoration:underline dotted; border-bottom:none; letter-spacing:1px; [/newclass]

[newclass=".minimal .top"]background-color:var(--accent); padding:10px; height:15px; background-image:url(https://image.ibb.co/dMFuMc/flower.png); background-repeat:no-repeat;background-position:bottom right; width:430px; margin:0px auto; border:1px solid #232323; [/newclass]

[newclass=".minimal .ooc"]border-top:1px solid #222; padding-top:15px; text-align:center; margin-top:15px; [/newclass]

[newclass=".minimal .milkcredit"]font-size:15px; position:absolute; z-index:99; right:95px; bottom:5px; border-radius:100px; color:var(--accent); opacity:0.6; } .minimal .milkcredit a { transition:0.5s all } .minimal .milkcredit a:hover { transition:0.5s all; color:var(--accent)!important; [/newclass]
close tab

played by

lou

enzo / the proprietor
he/him
thirty-two
april 4
alto mare / sootopolis
bisexual
hotelier
executive
I’m haunted like a wolf. I feed, I feed like a wolf. I’m lost and I’m lonely, I hunger for you only.
awards
292 posts
part of
TAG WITH @enzo
vincenzo de luca
liar, liar [c]
POSTED ON Sept 8, 2022 20:07:19 GMT
vincenzo de luca Avatar
[nospaces]
[attr="class","enzo"]
[attr="class","top"]

The opportunity to let his bitterness show was too good to pass up. After all, Enzo was still a bit tetchy over the fact that Kosei had up and abandoned him to improve or whatever. Clearly that didn’t always pay out so well, because here he was. Turned up on Enzo’s stoop like a runaway dog returned.[break][break]

He didn’t miss the partial retort Kosei made before it was swallowed up by Miu’s outcry. But he did ignore it for a moment longer as he let out a robust laugh and scooped the little girl up. “How are you, topolina? Are you keeping your papà in line, hm?” Swinging her a bit in the air as he stood once more, and then settled her comfortably in his hold.[break][break]

Then his attention moved back to Kosei, gaze narrowing. “Mhm, sure you aren’t,” he said flatly. Enzo swiveled on his heels then, “Would you like to see Cassius, Miu? I do believe he’s missed you quite a lot.” It wasn’t wholly untrue–though the houndoom likely wasn’t lamenting her absence, he was quite gentle with her.[break][break]

“Come on then, Kosei, keep up. I haven’t got all day to deal with you,” he called back over his shoulder, behaving as though Kosei was the one dillydallying. “This is better discussed in my study.” Enzo made no effort to slow his pace as he moved away, down one of the tall-ceilinged halls to the left.

[break][break]
| xoxo

[newclass=".enzo"]--accent:#b69fc7; position:relative; z-index:1; overflow:hidden; [/newclass]

[newclass=".enzo blockquote"]width:350px; margin:0px auto; text-transform:lowercase; font-size:12px; line-height:15px; border-radius:0px 0px 10px 10px; border-top:none; padding:30px 50px; letter-spacing:0.2px; [/newclass]

[newclass=".enzo blockquote img"] margin:1px 15px 2px 1px; border-radius:10px; [/newclass]

[newclass=".enzo blockquote b, .enzo blockquote i"]color:var(--accent) } .enzo blockquote b { font-size:14px!important } .enzo blockquote u { font-style:italic; color:var(--accent); text-decoration:underline dotted; border-bottom:none; letter-spacing:1px; [/newclass]

[newclass=".enzo .top"]background-color:var(--accent); padding:10px; height:15px; background-image:url(https://image.ibb.co/dMFuMc/flower.png); background-repeat:no-repeat;background-position:bottom right; width:430px; margin:0px auto; border:1px solid #232323; [/newclass]

[newclass=".enzo .ooc"]border-top:1px solid #222; padding-top:15px; text-align:center; margin-top:15px; [/newclass]

[newclass=".enzo .milkcredit"]font-size:15px; position:absolute; z-index:99; right:95px; bottom:5px; border-radius:100px; color:var(--accent); opacity:0.6; } .enzo .milkcredit a { transition:0.5s all } .minimal .milkcredit a:hover { transition:0.5s all; color:var(--accent)!important; [/newclass]
close tab

played by

roux

kosei
he/him
Sept 3
rustboro city, hoenn
pansexual
maker of many mistakes
associate
awards
186 posts
Kosei Kiryu DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @kosei
Kosei Kiryu
liar, liar [c]
POSTED ON Sept 8, 2022 20:30:22 GMT
Kosei Kiryu Avatar
[nospaces]
[attr="class","minimal"]
[attr="class","top"]

The bitter taste still stained his tongue, the sentiment clearly mutual from the look on the other man's face. In a way, Kosei couldn't entirely blame his old friend for being bitter. Things hadn't ended well and now he was here again to eat his words. That didn't mean he was prepared to apologize about anything he'd said. He still believed that the other was just a slimy charlatan, hell bent on proving to the world he wasn't nobody street trash. If Enzo wanted to pretend to be something he wasn't then whatever. Kosei wasn't going to consider the fact that he too was playing pretend by returning to the military.
[break][break]
Hypocrite, he knew what he was. It didn't matter though. He was allowed to call himself that, Enzo certainly wasn't. Miu was clearly enchanted anyways, so there was no turning back. Enzo always did have that effect on her. It was annoying as shit. "Uh huh, I have!" She began rambling on about different kids in her class and the things she'd learned.
[break][break]
Kosei glared back, considering again just how easy it could be to turn around. Granted, Miu wouldn't make it easy on him but she was five and would get over it eventually. He'd get her some icecream to shut her up. There, he stood, until the other impatiently beckoned him on. His hands tightened into fists at his sides, frustration palpable. Sadly, like the good dog, he followed after them. This was the last job, the last one.
[break][break]
Of course, Enzo spared no expense. Kosei had known it all by memory, but there were new additions and lavish expenses that he hadn't seen prior. Leave it to Enzo to somehow cram more stuff into this gaudy building. He close the door of the study behind him. He noted the houndoom, which Miu was excitedly anxious to meet again. Cassius had never liked him and, frankly, he didn't like the mutt either.
[break][break]
"There's nothing to discuss, I just need a quick job and I'll be gone."

[break][break]

close tab

played by

lou

enzo / the proprietor
he/him
thirty-two
april 4
alto mare / sootopolis
bisexual
hotelier
executive
awards
292 posts
part of
TAG WITH @enzo
vincenzo de luca
liar, liar [c]
POSTED ON Sept 11, 2022 3:29:04 GMT
vincenzo de luca Avatar
[nospaces]
[attr="class","enzo"]
[attr="class","top"]

Enzo sighed forlornly. “Of course it warrants discussion, Kosei. There’s the manner of the job, and the details. I have a set for you to choose from, I guess.” His eyes shifted to Miu for a moment, choosing his words carefully. “Depending on the nature of the job.” Juggling the little girl in his arm, Enzo reached for the key nestled in his jacket to unlock the door he came to a stop at.[break][break]

He didn’t necessarily feel welcoming toward his old friend at the moment. But for better or worse, the brand of airy congeniality that Kosei so loved to cast a snide look at had become long committed to habit. “Coffee?” It was at least more of a grumble than a polite offer–a treatment reserved primarily for the other man. Because as much as Enzo detested the fact, Kosei Kiryu had always been particularly good at prying under his skin to allow the crawl of irritation.[break][break]

Once the door was opened for Kosei to step inside, he gestured not to the seat in front of his overly large mahogany desk, but rather the plush armchairs nestled to the side, a coffee table in between them. An intricate fireplace built of black marble with intricate in-laid carvings of old legends was set into the wall just to the left of the seating.[break][break]

From the corner, a large houndoom rose from the soft dog bed he’d been napping in. Lazily, he started to move in Enzo’s direction before noticing the company who had come along as well. A low sound rumbled in the back of his throat signaling his continued wariness of Kosei, but for Miu came the swish of Cassius’ thin, pointed tail. “Alright Miu, my gioia,” he swung her down and shook loose his arm once she had been settled on the floor, “go get ‘em.”

[break][break]
| xoxo

close tab

played by

roux

kosei
he/him
Sept 3
rustboro city, hoenn
pansexual
maker of many mistakes
associate
awards
186 posts
Kosei Kiryu DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @kosei
Kosei Kiryu
liar, liar [c]
POSTED ON Sept 13, 2022 14:56:33 GMT
Kosei Kiryu Avatar
[nospaces]
[attr="class","minimal"]
[attr="class","top"]

Kosei didn't want to discuss the details of the job because that would require listening to Enzo. It would require knowing that he was going to do grunt work for this slimy lizard of a man while his daughter was in the room and having to live with his pride after the fact. Maybe it would be different if he hadn't been so righteous at the end of their partnership. It served him right that he would have to struggle with the consequences of his actions the second things got difficult.
[break][break]
The gesture of coffee was unanticipated but clearly begrudging. "Sure, since you're offering." That was the only reason he'd agreed if only to see the man regret even offering. Granted, Kosei felt like he survived purely off instinct and caffeine, constantly having to keep up with this ADHD demon he toted around.
[break][break]
As to be expected, Cassius was as thrilled to see him as he was to see the ugly mutt. Miu, however, was positively vibrant with her excitement as she ran across the office to greet the pokemon. Kosei could feel a tenseness in him, having his child be so close to something with so many teeth was unsettling. However, he didn't worry about having his Onix babysit her so he couldn't be choosey.
[break][break]
Seeing her contentment, he turned his attention to business. "The nature doesn't matter, something that can be dealt with quickly and pays will do." This kind of business left a bad taste in his mouth.

[break][break]

close tab

played by

lou

enzo / the proprietor
he/him
thirty-two
april 4
alto mare / sootopolis
bisexual
hotelier
executive
awards
292 posts
part of
TAG WITH @enzo
vincenzo de luca
liar, liar [c]
POSTED ON Sept 18, 2022 23:17:59 GMT
vincenzo de luca Avatar
[nospaces]
[attr="class","enzo"]
[attr="class","top"]

Despite the terse briefness that Kosei tried to act with, Enzo knew that he was at a slight advantage here. Kosei needed the job, and no matter how swift he wished to be about doling out assignments and tasks, he was at Enzo’s will. Because when push came to shove, he was a good contact for work. Simple as that.[break][break]

Of course he accepted the perfunctory offer, though. Enzo stifled the urge to sigh and moved to the corner of the office rather than sit in one of the plush chairs as he would’ve preferred. “Only the best blend for my…honored guest. He tossed a flattened stare back toward Kosei, implying he didn’t believe the title worthy of being bestowed upon him.[break][break]

With Miu distracted by Cassius, Enzo took to the conversation–talking as he worked the lid of a carafe loose to pour out still-hot coffee into two mugs. Contained steam rolled out of the newly opened spout and rose up off of the dark liquid. “So you’re still willing to get your hands extensively dirty, then? I’m surprised.” There was a mocking note there in his voice as he turned back toward the other with both mugs in hand.[break][break]

There were no additives. If Kosei wanted cream or sugar, that was unfortunate.[break][break]

Handing one of the cups over, Enzo’s head tilted as the smug edge to his smile returned. “Isn’t so easy scrubbing the blood from under your nails then, is it?”

[break][break]
| xoxo

close tab

played by

roux

kosei
he/him
Sept 3
rustboro city, hoenn
pansexual
maker of many mistakes
associate
awards
186 posts
Kosei Kiryu DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @kosei
Kosei Kiryu
liar, liar [c]
POSTED ON Sept 27, 2022 14:36:02 GMT
Kosei Kiryu Avatar
[nospaces]
[attr="class","minimal"]
[attr="class","top"]

Enzo could very easily tell him off and then tell him to leave. It would have been all too easy and that was part of the reason why Kosei brought Miu, hoping that would entice him not to chop his head off quite so immediately. However, it did leave a sour taste in his mouth that he was essentially using his daughter as a bartering chip. Enzo made him stoop low, as was proven by this entire situation. However, he’d be lying to say there wasn’t a familiarity of standing in that office that didn’t remind him of a far more carefree time. No responsibilities, just himself.
[break][break]
Sure, he’d been a shittier person back then, but this was proving that he was still mostly a shitty person. His daughter couldn’t make him a better man, she was just a useful excuse not to do shitty things. Yet here was Enzo giving him that shit eating smirk saying all the things he hated hearing.
[break][break]
”Oh honored am I?” It was probably poisoned, he had half the mind to ask even as the other man sipped at a twin mug. After a moment of stilted silence, he finally sat down. He glanced over at Miu, who was wholly thrilled to have the opportunity to pester the fiery mutt instead. Admittedly, Kosei was relieved to have a moment of peace. Though at what cost?
[break][break]
”Shut up, I’m here to do a job and don’t need your criticism.” He grumbled, maybe encompassing some of Miu’s bratty energy as he sipped at his own coffee. He grit his teeth, swallowing down a slew of insults that could have so easily graced his tongue and ruined the only opportunity he had right then. Day care and school wasn’t cheap. Enzo knew as much, considering. ”Sometimes we don’t get the luxury of clean hands, Enzo. How long are you planning on tormenting me, by the way?”

[break][break]

close tab

played by

lou

enzo / the proprietor
he/him
thirty-two
april 4
alto mare / sootopolis
bisexual
hotelier
executive
awards
292 posts
part of
TAG WITH @enzo
vincenzo de luca
liar, liar [c]
POSTED ON Sept 29, 2022 16:12:12 GMT
vincenzo de luca Avatar
[nospaces]
[attr="class","enzo"]
[attr="class","top"]

Miu was, admittedly, an effective measure in convincing Enzo to be helpful. If Kosei had showed up alone, it was entirely likely that Enzo would have allowed a more petty swiftness take over and he would’ve refused to see him. But stupidly, he couldn’t deny seeing the little girl, thorougly wrapped around her finger as if he really were a blood relation.[break][break]

“Yep. So be grateful.” His smile stretched wide and smug, close lipped as his eyes crinkled at the corners. Amused, but not warm. Only to roll his eyes a moment later, head shaking as one finger lifted in a slight, wagging point. “Oh no no no, you don’t tell me to shut up, Kosei. I’m doing you the favor here, not the other way around.” Always thinking he was in the seat of superiority–stepping away from rocket had only worsened that trait, in Enzo’s not so humble opinion.[break][break]

Enzo laughed, the sound short and harsh. “Whoever said my hands are clean, Kosei? A pair of gloves work just fine, but it’s all the same underneath.” All the same, he sighed and wandered back to his desk to paw through a few file folders with one hand while he sipped at his coffee, the handle of the mug perched carefully in his fingers. “As long as I can manage,” he drawled belatedly, glance flicking sideways toward the other man with the hint of a smile–all fluid sharp edge, the lick of the edge of a knife.[break][break]

Finding the file he was looking for, he regretfully wandered back over to Kosei and held it out for him to take. Then Enzo settled into his own chair, one leg crossing over the other as his hands curled around his coffee cup. “There’s an environmental figurehead for an advocacy group out in Unova. Been stuck here since the dome came down, but has still been very active in the region. Not wasting any time, I suppose.” Enzo sat back, sinking deeper into the cushions of the armchair, mug raising. “This is a problem for one of my regular vendors, though. Something about unethical practice, all that.” A hand waved lazily, like swatting at a fly.[break][break]

“Hush ‘em up, you know? Probably one of my best paying offers right now, so you’re in luck. Don’t fuck it up.”[break][break]

[break][break]
| xoxo

close tab

played by

roux

kosei
he/him
Sept 3
rustboro city, hoenn
pansexual
maker of many mistakes
associate
awards
186 posts
Kosei Kiryu DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @kosei
Kosei Kiryu
liar, liar [c]
POSTED ON Oct 7, 2022 15:33:31 GMT
Kosei Kiryu Avatar
[nospaces]
[attr="class","minimal"]
[attr="class","top"]

Beggars can't be choosers.
[break][break]
It really was that simple. Even if his ego was grieving the cost that this would have on him, he would have to deal with it. He'd have to swallow up all this personal shit he had with Enzo and just do the job. Get it over with and part ways and hope this wasn't ever necessary again. However, reflecting on his debts, it wasn't likely that this could possibly be the last time. Not if he wanted to, you know, keep his knees unbusted or not end up at the bottom of a river somewhere for owing money to awful sorts.
[break][break]
It felt even shittier to know he was dragging all of his personal shit on Miu, and by extension, maybe even Enzo. This wouldn't be necessary. Maybe they wouldn't even be bickering and bitching with one another if he didn't have to sway back and forth between high and mighty or desperate. It was stupid, he was stupid. This was the life he chose for himself. It was really that simple.
[break][break]
His throat twisted up as he responded, "You're... right. I'm sorry, I am grateful." It sounded more like he was being forced to speak at gun point, but he was still saying it, wasn't he? It still counted. He, depressingly, couldn't afford to lose whatever job Enzo had for him. Even if he knew that it was unlikely the other would deny him if it came to Miu's detriment. Though he couldn't understand why the bastard even cared about what happened to his kid.
[break][break]
Having them compared at all, wasn't something he enjoyed. As far as Kosei was concerned, they were most certainly NOT the same. Though, that also depended on what time the claim was made. Right then, he was worse than Enzo. It made him feel a little disgust that the job involved another person, clearly a good person at that.
[break][break]
"Permanently or temporarily?" He muttered, not looking at his kid. It didn't make him feel good to ask it, but some clients were particular about how things were done. He opened the file briefly, before snapping it shut. He'd read it on the way. "Don't let her eat any junkfood. She needs a nap soon or she'll raise hell." With that he stepped over to Miu, kissed her on the head. "Gotta go out for a bit, monkey, I'll be back in a little. Do your homework." She waved him off with a quick, "Okay, bye bye!" Likely she would realize he was gone in ten minutes and raise a stink, which was fine by him.

[break][break]

close tab

played by

lou

enzo / the proprietor
he/him
thirty-two
april 4
alto mare / sootopolis
bisexual
hotelier
executive
awards
292 posts
part of
TAG WITH @enzo
vincenzo de luca
liar, liar [c]
POSTED ON Oct 8, 2022 4:06:00 GMT
vincenzo de luca Avatar
[nospaces]
[attr="class","enzo"]
[attr="class","top"]

Enzo settled back in his chair, seemingly appeased with Kosei’s amendment. Forced or not, it was acceptable to hear the words spoken aloud. “Good, hound dog.” One corner of his mouth twisted upward, sharp at the reminder of the old nickname he’d once assigned to the other with more regularity.[break][break]

He could tell that this was frustrating for Kosei, and Enzo wasn’t about to go out of his way to soothe that irritation. Let him stew in it, let him be annoyed with the fact that it was Enzo he’d had to return to for work. Whether Kosei cared for the job, it needed to be done. If Kosei refused, it would be his loss. Enzo would find another to fulfill it just as he always did. There was an axe hanging over the target's head no matter his former partner’s opinion.[break][break]

“I would be inclined to say it’s to your preference, but I think you know what the answer to that question really is.” Enzo watched as Kosei gathered himself and said his goodbyes to Miu. “Yes, yes, of course,” he waved a hand at the instructions laid out to him, turning to watch the little girl play with his houndoom

Fifteen minutes later, it finally clicked that her father had left and all hell broke loose.[break][break]

two days later, late at night
[break][break]

He’d be remiss to admit that the time he’d spent watching Miu had been a feat at least three-fourths of the time Kosei had been gone. Still, he hadn’t wholly minded her trailing after him throughout the hotel like a tiny shadow as he saw to patron affairs. Except for when she was losing her whole damn mind because she was sleepy or he’d given her the wrong sort of snack. Cassius, though still patient with her, had started to hide for fear of having his ears tugged too hard yet again.[break][break]

It was a reminder of what he was just godfather and Uncle Enzo, and not dad dad.[break][break]

Finally, though, he’d gotten word that Kosei was on the way back. He’d given word to his night receptionist to send him up to Enzo’s personal quarters when he arrived. The space more like a spacious apartment than a suite in the hotel. It made sense, granted he spent more time there than anywhere else. Wholly devoted.[break][break]

Miu was long asleep by the time a soft knock sounded at his door, but it felt like it’d only been minutes since he’d managed to put her to bed successfully. Opening the door revealed a more disheveled Enzo than he usually presented to society. Hair tousled and dressed down, a cigarette dangling from his fingers (he’d been smoking out the window and not around Miu, mind you.) But Kosei might recognize this version of him, just aged. “She’s wilier than the last time you brought her over. Did you get the job done!”

[break][break]
| xoxo

close tab

played by

roux

kosei
he/him
Sept 3
rustboro city, hoenn
pansexual
maker of many mistakes
associate
awards
186 posts
Kosei Kiryu DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @kosei
Kosei Kiryu
liar, liar [c]
POSTED ON Oct 8, 2022 20:29:17 GMT
Kosei Kiryu Avatar
[nospaces]
[attr="class","minimal"]
[attr="class","top"]

Hound dog, as much as he wanted to knock his teeth in, there was a shred of truth in the old nickname. As if only proven by his return after pledging to be out of this life. It was likely deserved, still he grit his teeth and forced himself to think of the payout. Thinking of Miu was a powerful motivator. In all likelihood, the asshole would pay. Karma was a bitch like that and, despite claims, Enzo had no idea the frequency of pitch a six year old girl could scream when she was mad. Oh but he'd find out, probably.
[break][break]

[break][break]
"Is this really a hill you want to die on? Because you will." He had tried to be decent, attempt to scare the man into better decision-making for the future. Though it had taken one look at the man to know what kind of person he was. Robert was the type with moral integrity, a quality that was rare to find in the world these days. Even with his wrist bent in a position seconds from breaking under Kosei's foot, he didn't break. He didn't think about the consequences of believing in something so strongly. They differed in that. No matter how much Kosei thought he could be better for his daughter, his tenacity ended the second that integrity hindered his daughter. It was like the flip of a switch and it was all too easy to drop from that high and mighty pedestal he'd propped himself on.
[break][break]
Enzo was right, which was annoying as shit. This job came entirely too easily to Kosei. The sound of bones cracking as the body plummeted down the flights of stairs he was pushed down, it didn't bother him. Nothing did anymore and it wasn't like it was justified by any sense of desperation, he didn't have a gun to his head. The blood on his hands didn't wash off easily though. As far as anyone was concerned though, the poor bastard simply wasn't paying attention, tripped, and fell. That kind of simplicity in a murder required artistry, it would have been even easier just to kill the man outright.
[break][break]
The long trip back to the Nimbus felt longer than the trip out. Maybe he was grudging the return, knowing that a trace of death still followed him. Knowing that Enzo would probably look up at him with that cheeky, knowing sort of expression on his stupid smug face. Though he shouldn't give a damn about what the bastard was thinking. Maybe he should have better anticipated the version of Enzo he was graced with in his living quarters. Disheveled, it had been a long time since he'd been allowed to see Enzo any way that wasn't frustratingly pristine. He preferred the exhaustion, that glint in his eyes that reminded him of the feral kid the other used to be. They'd both grown up to hide inner monsters. Kosei wasn't exactly glowing in comparison. The messy bun of hair he'd collected on top had long since fallen loose and he was tired in a different way from usual single fatherhood.
[break][break]
He dropped his bag off and nudged the door closed with his heel. Without saying a word, he moved towards one of the room. Noting that Miu was thoroughly passed out for the night, he closed the door and retreated back towards Enzo. The cigarette did not go without notice. "You look like shit." He finally said after a moment of observation. He plucked the other's cigarette away long enough to inhale, to feel the smoke coil up before releasing. He handed it back knowing it was never offered. "Yeah don't think she got that from me. What do you think? Of course I did. Did she do her homework?"
[break][break]

close tab

played by

lou

enzo / the proprietor
he/him
thirty-two
april 4
alto mare / sootopolis
bisexual
hotelier
executive
awards
292 posts
part of
TAG WITH @enzo
vincenzo de luca
liar, liar [c]
POSTED ON Oct 9, 2022 20:53:05 GMT
vincenzo de luca Avatar
[nospaces]
[attr="class","enzo"]
[attr="class","top"]

It didn’t come as much of a surprise that Kosei flat out ignored him upon arrival. Enzo wasn’t about to stand between him and his kid, so didn’t bar access through the doorway as the other slipped inside. Instead, he stepped back and took a drag from his cigarette, lifting it to his lips as he watched Kosei hone in on the spare bedroom with droopy lidded eyes. His free hand pushed through his hair, already messy. Not that he cared all that much at present. For all of the fanfare he behaved with during working hours, it would be a bit farcical to care about appearances now.[break][break]

At least around Kosei, anyway. Kosei, who knew this side of him whether Enzo liked that fact or not. It was an aspect that often went unacknowledged. Something he actively pretended did not exist during daylight hours. But it was late, and he was tired. And while Enzo would prefer to believe himself a supreme being capable of anything and everything, he was still only human.[break][break]

And he’d been absolutely leveled by a six year old in the last two days.[break][break]

“Speak for yourself,” he replied flatly, once Kosei had decided that his kid was hale and whole. Kosei looked far worse off than he did, in Enzo’s opinion. Out of practice, he almost snidely remarked, but the insult died on his tongue when his cigarette was stolen away. He did little more than sigh in protest, though. When it was held out again, he snatched it back with a quiet tch that hissed through his teeth, watching through narrowed lilac eyes as he immediately lifted it to his lips for another drag. Get your own, he wanted to say. Again, biting down on his tongue. Usually Enzo welcomed arguments with Kosei. Any opportunity to rile him up, rub his fur the wrong way. Not tonight. Or not at that precise moment, rather.[break][break]

Exhaling a plume of silvery gray, Enzo looked over at Kosei flatly, head rolling sideways toward his shoulder. “Well that’s a lie if I’ve ever heard one.” Kosei could be fussier than a purrloin in a bath, and they both knew it. “Of course she did. I’m not so terrible that I was going to let her neglect her education, Kosei.” He scoffed, the sound wheezy from the grate of smoke in his throat. Enzo had never actually been to school. Well, not past a certain point. At the time, he hadn’t cared–which had meant more struggled and effort and drive for him later.[break][break]

Rubbing at his eyes with his thumb and forefinger, he suppressed the heft of a yawn. “Good job then, mutt. Might as well stay and leave in the morning rather than wake her up. Take a load off, shower. Whatever. I don’t care. I’m not dealing with my checkbook ‘til later. It was easy, wasn’t it?” There it was–the goad tacked on right at the end. A bit genuine in its inflection, though. Simple speculation.

[break][break]
| xoxo

close tab

played by

roux

kosei
he/him
Sept 3
rustboro city, hoenn
pansexual
maker of many mistakes
associate
awards
186 posts
Kosei Kiryu DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @kosei
Kosei Kiryu
liar, liar [c]
POSTED ON Oct 9, 2022 21:15:43 GMT
Kosei Kiryu Avatar
[nospaces]
[attr="class","minimal"]
[attr="class","top"]

This was just like old times. It always was, when things winded down and quieted long enough for him to see it for what it was. Both of them falling back into they way things once were like misplaced puzzle pieces reunited. Kosei knew that despite the other's exhaustion, he was worse off. He could feel the itch under his skin, the dizzy shake of nerves that settled easily into place. He was rejecting that ease though, this was survival. Only it wasn't, was it? There were other way, there always were. He could have easily taken a job that didn't have to end with another losing their life. It was clear to him this was simply the quickest and easiest path to tred.
[break][break]
Along time again he would have plopped down on the couch, laughed like an imbecile because he felt invincible and strong. He felt like the ruler of his destiny, all the while ignoring that he was always waiting on the other's word to spark it. Maybe without Miu, he'd still be trailing after the other like that aforementioned and detested nickname suggested.
[break][break]
"So how was fatherhood, you're still in one piece it seems." It was a humorous joke at least, maybe a jab at the other said: my life hasn't gotten easy. With his other life, he didn't have to rinse blood from his hands or look over his shoulder or wonder what the fuck this tether was that kept him connected to this miserable bastard.
[break][break]
Truly, it would have been easiest to announce he was going to bed. Leave it at that, not address the stink of blood in the air or the question that linked them there. Instead, he muttered, "You still keep your booze in the same place." Sometimes it was humorous to him that a past version of himself detested alcohol. 'Not pragmatic', he'd say, terrified of what might happen if he let go of an ounce of control. Now, he wanted to sink into a vat of liquor. The liquor was, in fact, in the same location and he helped himself to a bottle of whiskey regardless of what Enzo said. He sat back in an arm chair and drank straight from the bottle.
[break][break]
That question grated at him though. "You already know the answer to that." And he didn't want to satisfy him with those words: you were right.
[break][break]