Viridian City, Kanto
It just works
Lt. Colonel, Medical Corps
AQUA Initiative
Dreaming
of our future
5' 11" (181 cm) / 180 lbs (82 kg) height
You're being healed. Please do not resist.
awards
2,879 posts
part of
TAG WITH @bugcatcherdoug
John Sullivan
Someone had to [Valor]
POSTED ON Sept 21, 2022 1:47:34 GMT
John Sullivan Avatar

Someone had to

So let's get this on the road,

His investigations of a smuggling ring that had dared to try and operate on Mauville had brought him south from said city and beneath the cycling pass, to the sole, eccentric residence located on route 110.

The Trick House. Supposedly, a massive complex and network of underground passages stretched underneath the floors of the former home of the now deceased Trick Master.

They really shouldn't known Rocket would try and make use of it if they left it alone.

"Freakin' hell, gotta do everything myself." Grumbled the youth from within the small place he had made his hiding spot, his Accelgor nodding her head besides him.

Were all spots near Mauville at risk of being repurposed by Rocket? Now that this had happened, his paranoia said 'yes'.

Ugh... He would have to check out all other such spots after this... Perhaps organize an inquiry on New Mauville, Sea Mauville, Mauville Hills...

"This is gonna take forever..." Groaned the youth miserably as he dragged his hands through his black hairs... before slapping himself twice on the cheeks. "... Right then. It ain't gonna do itself; best get it all done on the quick."

With that decided, the youth nodded at his Accelgor, the shinobi pokemon nodding right back before disappearing from his sight following his next blink.

Not keen to keep her waiting while she gathered information, Doug began to make his way towards the home whilst keep himself within the surrounding foliage, not keen to be seen coming...

PREVENT
Evidence has suggested a Pokémon Smuggling trade deal is to be had within the (any) city. Locate it and prevent the transaction from going through. Bonus points if you can catch the criminals involved.

close tab

played by

Scarlet

Tali, Celes
She/Her
January 21
Ecruteak City, Johto
Bisexual
Dancer/Musician
Cadet
Know stars guide you through the darkest night.
awards
126 posts
Talia Celes DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @talia
Talia Celes
Someone had to [Valor]
POSTED ON Sept 21, 2022 4:23:18 GMT
Talia Celes Avatar
i'll chase the light of that distant star
Great minds, as it happened, thought alike.

The Rangers had their own reasons to be concerned with the Trick House and its new inhabitants. The smuggling in question was regarding Black Market Pokémon, abused through unethical breeding practises and in desperate need of rehabilitation and care. The officers of Hoenn were here to lay down the law, but the Rangers had been instructed to protect the defenseless casualties of that crime.

"Hm..." Talia murmured to herself, looking about herself at the meet-up point and frowning. She was supposed to meet another Ranger here, but they were nowhere to be seen; she checked her phone, then blinked, seeing only: "Went on ahead to scout the premises. Be careful."

Talia exhaled a disdainful sigh, pinching her nose. Irresponsible. No matter how talented a Ranger this person was, going in alone to such a well-prepared site was foolish.

Although, well, she seemed doomed to do that herself now. What was the alternative?

Talia rode on the back of her Flygon, Navi, quietly flying over the canopy of trees to avoid notice. She figured when it came to the networks under the Trick House, having the Ground-type's ability to BULLDOZE through the earth would be of use, but for now, she was making use of Navi's colours blending in well with the leaves and twigs around her.

Until, however, she caught sight of someone below her.

Before she could quickly retreat to the skies, his eyes met hers, locking her in place.

Oh, no.

Talia's heart dropped at being spotted so soon and so suddenly, and she bit her lip, attempting to find the right way to respond. He was alone at least, and seemed not much younger than herself. Did that mean she had a chance to defeat him in combat?

Mustering courage, she alighted beside him on the ground, facing him squarely from the draconic creature's back. "If you plan to get in the way of rescuing these Pokémon," she whispered, with a forced resolve, "then I am afraid I'll have to make you move aside."

It was not exactly the most menacing or clever threat, particularly from a slight and petite woman like herself, but it was the best she could manage at the moment. And the severity in her eyes was not faked in the slightest.

● prevent ●
MADE BY MIZO
close tab

played by

Epic BugCatcher

Dr. Doug
He/Him
20 (40)
March 3
Viridian City, Kanto
It just works
AQUA Initiative
Dreaming
of our future
awards
2,879 posts
part of
TAG WITH @bugcatcherdoug
John Sullivan
Someone had to [Valor]
POSTED ON Sept 22, 2022 1:08:34 GMT
John Sullivan Avatar

Someone had to

It was irritating to be found when he was actually trying to be sneaky, subtle and deceptive.

It was even more irritating to not be recognized by the person who found him when they also worked for the league.

Was he so dismissed by the public they missed the fact he was always there?

'Yer ego's talkin', shit-head.' Chastised his inner voice as he fixed an irritable look upon , crossing his arms over his chest.

"Ya new or somethin'? Don't start conversations with a damn threat. The league is under scrutiny as it is, rookie." Doug replied bluntly and irritably, before producing a League Officer's badge. "Captain Sullivan, military. Mauville and its surrounding regions are under my jurisdiction."

He wasn't usually this bitchy, but his ego had been beaten enough to inflate with the bruises, and he wasn't about to let any disrespect fly by.

"Who are you?" He asked. He sized her up; clearly on a mission, this one, if earlier words weren't telling enough. "Ya ain't no Elite Ranger; know that roster like the back of m'hand. Cadets shouldn't be out n' about on their own, ya know?"

Doug knew a lot of such stuff; more than he needed, really. It was important to be aware of who was who in the league; never knew when imposters and pretenders would turn up.

Perhaps more important was to know who was who in Team Rocket- as far as the league was aware, anyway. Being able to recognize those names and faces swiftly was invaluable. They tended to be out and about after all, brazenly walking through the cities of Hoenn as if they were free, innocent and not the scum of the Earth.

He had known such things since he had first become an officer. One of many things he had done in order to make sure he appeared absolutely untouchable as a soldier, so that none could dismiss him for his age.

YET TO WORK SO FAR.

"Rangers ain't my problem though; I've got a smuggle ring to bust, so- see ya." He said, and began to turn around and move away.

PREVENT
Evidence has suggested a Pokémon Smuggling trade deal is to be had within the (any) city. Locate it and prevent the transaction from going through. Bonus points if you can catch the criminals involved.

close tab

played by

Scarlet

Tali, Celes
She/Her
January 21
Ecruteak City, Johto
Bisexual
Dancer/Musician
Cadet
awards
126 posts
Talia Celes DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @talia
Talia Celes
Someone had to [Valor]
POSTED ON Sept 26, 2022 2:11:08 GMT
Talia Celes Avatar
How rude.

Talia's cheeks puffed out slightly with indignation as she bit back her first impulse -- to thoroughly tell the man off for his condescending behavior, and frankly, elitist opinion! How was she supposed to know every military face in Hoenn? Work kept her too busy to keep abreast of these things.

Was her time so well-spent reading newspapers and watching TV, when she could be out making a difference?

"...If we are allies, then you could just say so. No need to be so rude." She crossed her arms, looking away as she answered, "Talia Celes, cadet. And yes, I would prefer not to be working alone, but my partner decided otherwise. So my options are either letting him suffer for his own stupidity, or going in after him."

By the time she turned back to look at him, the younger man was already intent on continuing on without her. Her face flushed with heat as she pursued him, her Flygon taking wing behind her.

"If you're League, too, then we should work together," she insisted, a bit tartly, as she ran to follow him. "We're here for the same reason, after all. Or does being a captain mean your own advice doesn't work both ways?"

● prevent ●
MADE BY MIZO
close tab

played by

Epic BugCatcher

Dr. Doug
He/Him
20 (40)
March 3
Viridian City, Kanto
It just works
AQUA Initiative
Dreaming
of our future
awards
2,879 posts
part of
TAG WITH @bugcatcherdoug
John Sullivan
Someone had to [Valor]
POSTED ON Sept 26, 2022 20:41:34 GMT
John Sullivan Avatar

Someone had to

"And you could've asked nicely, but you threatened me instead!" He shot back irritably. "We'll call it even!"

The youth's gait was less a march than a stomp, his excessive irritation rather obvious even to someone whom might've just met him.

He was being overly touchy, he realized that. But not matter how aware of the fact he was, he couldn't just 'chill'. There was a burning feeling in his chest that 's last words hadn't been able to fully douse, no matter how true they had been.

The feeling of being underestimated, of being patronized, of being dismissed by the people who's recognition he wanted. Whether it was it was all true or just in his head, the feeling embers still remained.

He didn't care about rockets looking down on him, so why did it matter so much if the commissioner or the councilmen or the aqua folk did...?

He had no clue. Surprisingly though, the bickering was actually doing a halfway decent job at cooling him off.

Doug gave the young woman a dry, withering look at as she threw his words back at him, brow twitching as he squinted up at her.

"No, Talia Cedes, it means I'm a badass, and can handle something like this on m'own! Hell, I can handle ANYTHING on my own! , and FUCKING could come here THEMSELVES and I'LL WOULD SNAP THEM ALL OVER MY KNEE!" Snapped the youth irreverently while gesticulating wildly by repeatedly kneeing the air. "And it wasn't advice, it was regulation! You're right, your partner's a reckless dumbass!"

The youth continued to wildly flail his arms while stomping forth, clearly no longer caring about stealth.

He was gonna BLAST THIS SHIT WIDE OPEN, GODDAMN IT!

close tab

played by

Scarlet

Tali, Celes
She/Her
January 21
Ecruteak City, Johto
Bisexual
Dancer/Musician
Cadet
awards
126 posts
Talia Celes DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @talia
Talia Celes
Someone had to [Valor]
POSTED ON Sept 30, 2022 5:54:16 GMT
Talia Celes Avatar
"How was I supposed to know you weren't hostile?" she blurted out, stunned that her greeting might have offended a man who -- to her mind! -- might have responded to her in exactly the same manner. "At least this way you knew which side I was on!"

When Doug marched onwards, though, Talia began to take note of a few things. As his diatribe lengthened, spanning to such absurd lengths as to declare he could take on some of the most powerful of Team Rocket's members, Talia quickly realized she was but a single match set to an already roaring flame of discontent.

Her instinct to defend herself quickly surrendered to her desire to soothe and to calm, and her own voice softened somewhat -- not patronizing, no, but gently curious.

"You wanted to do this alone on purpose?" she asked, her hands latching together behind her back. Genuine surprise presented itself in her reply. "I mean, even if you're a 'badass,' it just seems..."

She paused, then in the end, tentatively used his own words against him.

"Reckless?"

● prevent ●
MADE BY MIZO
close tab

played by

Epic BugCatcher

Dr. Doug
He/Him
20 (40)
March 3
Viridian City, Kanto
It just works
AQUA Initiative
Dreaming
of our future
awards
2,879 posts
part of
TAG WITH @bugcatcherdoug
John Sullivan
Someone had to [Valor]
POSTED ON Oct 6, 2022 13:56:07 GMT
John Sullivan Avatar

Someone had to

"hOw wAs i sUpPoSeD To kNoW YoU WeReN'T HoStIlE?" He echoed flippantly. "I dunno, maybe ask for an ID instead o' goin' RoboCop on my ass?"

Honestly, did she not hear the other part of what he said?!

"We're the league, newbie!" He let her know, looking irritated. "We're constantly under scrutiny! Intentions? Don't matter! Our every word, every action, are subject to criticism."

They really couldn't play it too safe when interacting with civilians. Being charming, empathetic, understanding— these were things they all had to embrace. They shouldn't have needed to go to such length, but enough within the Hoenn public seemed to be waiting for whatever slip up might prove Rocket was right all along.

"Criticism Rocket will use to turn public opinion against us." He mumbled, brow furrowed. "So don't. Threaten. Randos on the street!"

Or the routes. Whatever!

Unfortunately, his extended diatribe crashed into the cadet's sudden, soft-spoken logic, bringing his ranting to a close as he wheeled on his heel and pointed a finger.

"... Yes." He conceded after a moment, releasing a long suffering, closed-mouth scream. "Yes it is."

And with that he swiveled back and continued to march forth.
close tab

played by

Scarlet

Tali, Celes
She/Her
January 21
Ecruteak City, Johto
Bisexual
Dancer/Musician
Cadet
awards
126 posts
Talia Celes DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @talia
Talia Celes
Someone had to [Valor]
POSTED ON Oct 20, 2022 2:06:54 GMT
Talia Celes Avatar
What a contrary person.

Talia skipped slightly to keep pace with him as he grumbled along, her Flygon shadowing them both with a flutter of jade-green wings.

"I don't understand why so many people are so quick to judge the League," she murmured, politely choosing to ignore his more pointed statements. He was obviously upset about something or other. She was just unlucky enough to stumble into him at the wrong moment. "It's not as if Rocket has done anything other than criticize, and cause war and dissent."

She wrinkled her nose with distaste for this topic. Her sympathies were clearly defined, and Rocket lacked them entirely.

Maybe he had his own reasons for hating Rocket as much as she did, she wondered suddenly. Perhaps that was what warmed her voice here, daring to once more insist on the partnership he had denied her.

"You seem like you know what you're doing, at least. And you shouldn't go in alone. I'll follow your lead? I promise not to threaten anyone."

A sheepish grin tried to lighten the mood.

● prevent ●
MADE BY MIZO
close tab

played by

Epic BugCatcher

Dr. Doug
He/Him
20 (40)
March 3
Viridian City, Kanto
It just works
AQUA Initiative
Dreaming
of our future
awards
2,879 posts
part of
TAG WITH @bugcatcherdoug
John Sullivan
Someone had to [Valor]
POSTED ON Oct 22, 2022 14:30:26 GMT
John Sullivan Avatar

Someone had to

"The general Hoenn public Hoenn ain't politically savvy." Doug replied bluntly. "Makes for a very progressive... or apathetic voting force, depending on who you ask. But that also makes it a flighty, fickle one."

Just as the public's seeming lack of interest in proper politics made them willing to accept young politicans like , and most recently, into the government, it also made them susceptible to obvious propaganda attempts.

Though he supposed that could work in both sides favour.

More importantly—

"I'm ain't no ranger, rookie. You can do whatever you want." He said bluntly as he continued his march towards the house doors.

This wasn't strictly in Mauville, nor was it an AQUA operation. He had no real authority over this ranger; simply seniority and a bad temper.

Back to the door, however— it looked as if someone had kicked or blown it open.

"Yer partner ain't one for subtlety, huh?" He asked bluntly, snorting as he kept marching forward. "If yer coming, stick close. Somethin' tells me they're gonna be on high alert— if they are still 'ere."

He palmed a net ball and threw it out, releasing his Orbeetle onto the scene. The hovering beetle's eyes glowed blue as it took in its surroundings, giving Talia a brief look of acknowledgement before turning towards Doug, who nodded.

Her partner had, if nothing else, made their path a bit more obvious by blowing up the first hidden doors, destroying any attempts from the trick house at deception in the process. If nothing else, the dumbass had plenty of bravado, he would give them that as he went in deeper.
close tab

played by

Scarlet

Tali, Celes
She/Her
January 21
Ecruteak City, Johto
Bisexual
Dancer/Musician
Cadet
awards
126 posts
Talia Celes DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @talia
Talia Celes
Someone had to [Valor]
POSTED ON Oct 30, 2022 2:24:14 GMT
Talia Celes Avatar
"Few Rangers are," she muttered, darkly remembering the way the Rangers summit she had attended had dissolved into chaos. "Subtle, that is."

Poor . Poor 's pies.

As the Orbeetle hummed onto the field, Talia's ears perked up, and she noticed the man hadn't exactly shooed her away. He hadn't really seemed enthusiastic about her joining, either, but she'd take what she could get.

A slight skip entered her step at this discovery, one that her Flygon mimicked to share in her excitement as they entered the Trick House.

"I'll be right behind you," she promised as they moved forward. "I'll have your back."

She meant it, too. Whether or not he needed the affirmation.

● prevent ●
MADE BY MIZO
close tab

played by

Epic BugCatcher

Dr. Doug
He/Him
20 (40)
March 3
Viridian City, Kanto
It just works
AQUA Initiative
Dreaming
of our future
awards
2,879 posts
part of
TAG WITH @bugcatcherdoug
John Sullivan
Someone had to [Valor]
POSTED ON Oct 30, 2022 5:52:50 GMT
John Sullivan Avatar

Someone had to

"Unfortunately." The youth muttered, the word marked not by his apparent temper but by resignation.

Even now, the memory of 's dismissal still weighted on him. He hadn't seen the man since that day. He should've made the time to visit. One should never be too busy to visit friends or family... Maybe he should get a bouquet of flowers for while he was at it? It had been a while since he had paid proper respects.

Hm. Maybe a bouquet of Crystal blooms...? Did anyone sell that?

He shook his head after a moment. It was a silly thought.

"Alright, you do that." He said simply, following behind Garo into the depths of the trick house with the ranger in tow. "Just keep an eye out. We're sauntering into Rocket's trick house. Who knows just how many- ... How many..."

The youth's word drifted off as the path opened up before them. Looking as if someone had managed to accidentally trigger each and every death trap put in place while on their way there.

After carefully looking around for a good moment, Doug couldn't help but whistle in appreciation.

"Jeez, is yer partner made of iron or something?" He asked as he began to walk forward, no longer worried since their forbearers had gone ahead and triggered every single trap on the way. "Might've to give 'em some kinda badge for their service."

No.

"... So we were talking politics, yeah?" The youth picked right back up where Talia had conspicuously skipped, ever eager to talk about how much he despised capitalism. "Did you know an estimated 17 percent of total global food production is wasted?"
close tab

played by

SHIV

GONGAGER
he/him
October 13
GONGAGA
gongaga-romantic
gongager
gongago
me?
gongaga
808 height
808 height
WHERE ARE UNOVA REMAKES
awards
38,994 posts
shiv DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @shiv
shiv
Someone had to [Valor]
POSTED ON Nov 1, 2022 6:39:37 GMT
shiv Avatar
[nospaces]
[attr="class","TRAINER"]
[attr="class","omaccepted"]
[attr="class","omacceptedtop"]THREAD COMPLETE!

[attr="class","omacceptedmid"]

YOU RECEIVE THE REWARDS BELOW:[break]

[attr="class","omacceptedlinks"]
[attr="class","omacceptedlinks1"]TAGS: