fallarbor town, hoenn
bisexual
museum director
professor / researcher
hardwired
allopatric isolation
6'4" / 193 cm height
6'4" / 193 cm height
i get by, but it's hard to forget in the smoke of denial and the fog of regret.
awards
387 posts
part of
TAG WITH @gideon
GIDEON GRAVES
gideon's plotter
POSTED ON Sept 26, 2022 1:58:19 GMT
GIDEON GRAVES Avatar

GIDEON GRAVES

researcher • professor • museum director

dr. gideon graves is an adjunct professor in the department of organismic and evolutionary biology at slateport university. recently, he was also appointed as executive director of the national museum of natural history in slateport city. he maintains research laboratories at both institutions, where he focuses on projects involving virology and disease-causing organisms, evolutionary genetics and genomics, and pokémon phylogeny (with an emphasis on regional variations).

at a cost to his personal life, gideon has prioritized his career above all else. in the past, this hyper-focus lead to the dissolution of his marriage and estrangement from friends and loved ones. he's actively trying to mend these strained relationships and adjust to a healthier work-life balance, but old habits die hard.

PLOT HOOKS

feel free to post here or DM me (dove) on discord! ♡

SCIENTIFIC COMMUNITY || gideon is looking to foster connections with his fellow academics, whether these be new or pre-established relationships. he has academic ties to hoenn, galar, alola, and paldea. his areas of research include viral evolution, regional variations, evolutionary genomics, and functional genetics, although i'm open to him networking with scientists from various disciplines!

RESEARCH & EXPERIMENTATION || out of all his responsibilities, gideon's main focus and academic passion revolves around his research. if you're interested in doing science-oriented threads, feel free to reach out and we can work out the details!

ARTIFACT ACQUISITIONS || the national museum of natural history is well known for it's expertly curated exhibits. for both research and display purposes, the museum - and gideon by extension - is always on the market for new artifacts/specimens/objects of scientific significance/etc. this plot would be applicable to adventurer/contractor characters or those looking to branch out and explore the region!

BIG BUSINESS || have you ever wanted to rent out a museum for your company party? charity event? [insert special occasion here]? what about establishing your career in a fun, educational setting, whether that be as a docent, curator, researcher, and beyond? look no further! director graves is always open to talking business.

BUG BRAIN || one of gideon's pride and joys is the natural history museum's INSECTARIUM, a large, multi-biome atrium where guests can walk through and view live insect pokémon. in particular, gideon is interested in obtaining all VIVILLON forms, but also bug-types in general to keep on display. i'm always up for threading a DW in a bug-type route!

FOUNT OF KNOWLEDGE || gideon is currently accepting lab assistants as well as graduate and postdoctoral students interested in working under him in his laboratory. ideal candidates will have a strong background in the biological sciences with specializations in evolutionary biology, genetics, microbiology (focusing on disease-transmitting organisms), or similar fields.

THE NEXT GENERATION || as an adjunct professor at slateport university, i would love for gideon to interact with his students, whether it be inside or outside of the classroom! if your character is interested in enrolling in or auditing one of his classes, he currently offers these courses on rotation by semester:

UNDERGRADUATE

FALL genes and development
FALL evolutionary genetics
SPRING evolutionary systems biology
SPRING phylogenetic biology
SUMMER virus discovery & evolution lab
SUMMER ecology and evolution of infectious disease

GRADUATE

FALL evolutionary genomics
FALL comparative genomics
SPRING speciation & adaptation genomics
SPRING biology of insect disease vectors

ALCOHOL SNOB || during rare moments of free time, gideon can sometimes be found at bars and public houses around the region. he is a notorious alcohol snob and loves learning about the history of liquors/cocktails. come have a drink with him!

BACK TO NATURE || although he spends much of his time indoors within the museum, university, or laboratory, gideon enjoys getting outside when he can. he does do field work on occasion, but also hikes around remote areas in the region just for the fun of it. you'll find him with his professional-grade camera and binoculars, on the lookout for interesting pokémon and natural phenomena. maybe he bumps into your character on the trail or they plan an outing together!
close tab

played by

doe

johnny
he/him
thirty-five
august 21st
slateport city
homosexual
office worker
civilian
everyday i think a little less like how i did when i was younger
awards
96 posts
john nelson DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @john
john nelson
gideon's plotter
POSTED ON Nov 25, 2022 14:58:33 GMT
john nelson Avatar
JOHN NELSON &&

Drinking buddies??? Or rather more like incidental drinking companions. John goes out bar hopping with some of his coworkers a couple times a week and I can imagine them building a rapport as they just kind of . . . bump into each other? The first couple of times it's just because John's coworkers just happened to call it quits at a bar Gideon is patronizing, but eventually John starts looking around for his "pal" when he's left by himself -- I don't know! Just a thought!

John is very much not an alcohol snob and would probably make a big fuss out of Gideon wasting money on fancy shit when the bottom shelf will get you where you're going. Maybe Gideon hates that! Maybe he thinks it's funny! Again, I don't know!
close tab

played by

dove

dr. graves
he / him
October 28
fallarbor town, hoenn
bisexual
museum director
professor / researcher
hardwired
allopatric isolation
6'4" / 193 cm height
6'4" / 193 cm height
i get by, but it's hard to forget in the smoke of denial and the fog of regret.
awards
387 posts
part of
TAG WITH @gideon
GIDEON GRAVES
gideon's plotter
POSTED ON Nov 25, 2022 19:56:27 GMT
GIDEON GRAVES Avatar

x

drinking buddies!! i'm totally down for this! gideon is definitely the type to strike up conversation with regulars at his local hangouts.

i can see gideon trying and consistently failing to convince john of the superiority of the more high shelf liquors and cocktails. almost like a running joke between them.

i think this could be a fun dynamic to write! :) feel free to start up a thread in slateport so we can get the drinking buddy banter going ♡
WRITE REPLY

QUICK REPLY

it's a long life full of long nights