Wanderer

The Liberator
he/him/his
April 10
Lavaridge Town
Figuring it Out
Penitent
Renegade
Turned on my friends and brought them pain. I have no right to show I can change. But I gotta try!
awards
4,329 posts
Isaac Merlo DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @isaacmerlo
Isaac Merlo
I Think I've Played This Song Before [C]
POSTED ON Oct 1, 2022 19:18:34 GMT
Isaac Merlo Avatar
[nospaces]

[attr="class","skullhover"]

[attr="class","skullimg"]

[attr="class","skulltitle"]導通抵抗
[attr="class","skulloverlap"]BUT HOLD YOUR BREATH, GUESS WHO'S RUNNING THE SHOW?

[attr="class","skullbody"]Gavin's office was a place where many Rockets hoped to never tread. And yet Isaac was on his second trip there.[break][break]

The last time he'd come to Gavin, the air was heavy with dread. His failure, the arrest of three Rockets, his past differences of opinion with the group . . . it all hung over his head like a lead weight. Gavin was judge, jury, and executioner down here, and he had no qualms about pulling the trigger.[break][break]

None of that had changed. Their mission back on Mt. Pyre was an assessment, and that meant once more Isaac's fate was in Gavin's hands. Yet the context couldn't be more different. This time, Isaac was riding fresh off of a success, Gavin himself seeing his diligence and clever strategies firsthand.[break][break]

Before, Gavin was this unapproachable monolith of a figure. Now, he was someone that Isaac had spoken with, worked with, fought beside. They even got to be Dhelmise buddies for a few moments! He wasn't a man of many words, but what few he had spoke volumes. He didn't seem like some boogeyman waiting for a Rocket to slip up so that he could destroy them. In fact, in a weird way, he almost seemed to be looking out for them.[break][break]

Maybe Isaac was reading into it too much. The guy incinerated a soul in front of him, then said he hoped he wouldn't have to do it again. It was a loud and clear threat. And yet, it was a threat that didn't come from a place of malice. It didn't even come from a place of business as usual. It felt almost like having to do that would hurt Gavin as much as it would hurt him.[break][break]

Isaac could reevaluate his increasingly questionable taste in male role models another time. For now, though, it was showtime. Gavin had come to his decision, and Isaac wasn't about to stand him up. He headed to the door, head held high, shoulders squared, and a smile on his face despite himself. And then he knocked.[break][break]

The first day of the rest of his life started now.

[break][break]

[break]
[attr="class","skullinfo"]MOBILE POST /

[attr="class","skullcredits"]TAIKO!

[newclass=.skullhover]width:420px;-webkit-filter: grayscale(100%);filter: grayscale(100%);-webkit-transition:all 1s ease;transition:all 1s ease;-webkit-transition-delay:0.1s;[/newclass]
[newclass=.skullhover:hover]-webkit-filter: grayscale(0%);filter: grayscale(0%)-webkit-transition:all 1s ease;transition:all 1s ease;[/newclass]
[newclass=.skullimg]width:380px;height:200px;background-image:url(https://i.imgur.com/HOVZp0J.png); background-repeat:no-repeat;[/newclass]
[newclass=.skulltitle]font-family:verdana;font-weight:700;font-size:50px;position:relative;text-align:center;color:#D9B800;margin-top:-36px;margin-bottom:0px;text-shadow: -1px 0 black, 0 1px black, 1px 0 black, 0 -1px black;[/newclass]
[newclass=.skulloverlap]letter-spacing:1px;font-family:oswald;font-weight:200;font-size:12px;position:relative;text-align:center;margin-top:-0;margin-bottom:-5px;color:#e8e8e8;text-shadow: -1px 0 black, 0 1px black, 1px 0 black, 0 -1px black;[/newclass]
[newclass=.skullbody]div-align:center;text-align:justify;width:380px;line-height:15px;letter-spacing:.5px;font-size:12px;font-family:roboto;color:#d6d6d6;[/newclass]
[newclass=.skullinfo]width:380px;font-family:oswald;font-size:12px;font-weight:200;color:#767676;text-align:right[/newclass]
[newclass=.skullcredits]width:380px;font-family:roboto;font-size:12px;text-align:center;[/newclass]

[googlefont=Oswald]
[googlefont=Roboto]
close tab

played by

thorn

Gavin Merlino
he/him
october 28th
circhester, galar
demisexual
the harbinger
underboss
creatures of habit, carrion flowers, growing from repeated crimes.
awards
7,897 posts
part of
TAG WITH @gavin
Cillian Quinn
POSTED ON Oct 2, 2022 7:53:02 GMT
Cillian Quinn Avatar
As before, the door swings open of its own accord.

However, the atmosphere of the office is different on this day. The same cold metal walls, the same chill in the air, but the PRESSURE is far lighter and the room smells of peppermint from a pot of tea on the desk.

Gavin nods to Isaac, and gestures to the chair. It's a comfortable one, this time.

"Please, sit. Have a drink, if you'd care to. I promise it's not poisoned."

He pours himself a cup, as if in demonstration, then takes a sip to let the liquid burn a path down his throat.

close tab

played by

Wanderer

The Liberator
he/him/his
April 10
Lavaridge Town
Figuring it Out
Penitent
Renegade
Turned on my friends and brought them pain. I have no right to show I can change. But I gotta try!
awards
4,329 posts
Isaac Merlo DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @isaacmerlo
Isaac Merlo
POSTED ON Oct 2, 2022 17:43:07 GMT
Isaac Merlo Avatar
[nospaces]

[attr="class","skulloverlap"]BUT HOLD YOUR BREATH, GUESS WHO'S RUNNING THE SHOW?

[attr="class","skullbody"]Isaac's confidence was not misplaced. The atmosphere in Gavin's office was like night and day compared to last time. Since when did the scariest room in the Rocket sub have a soothing pot of peppermint tea brewing on the desk? He even took away the hard, uncomfortable Victim Chair and rolled out a more comfortable chair in its stead. By Gavin's standards, this was practically a full-on redecoration. Isaac's smile widened a little as he stepped in, taking the chair.[break][break]

And then Gavin assured him the tea was poisoned. And then he proved this to Isaac by, while the tea was still visibly steaming, swigging it right down his throat. He didn't even blow on it first. The fact that the man's face didn't even twitch as he burned his own throat was a mix of impressive, concerning, and slightly hilarious.[break][break]

This whole situation was slightly hilarious! Nobody opened their offers of tea by, apropos of nothing, saying that it wasn't poisoned! If anything, that'd get most people asking why he had to specify that in the first place! Yet in an environment as harsh and vicious as Rocket, it was an understandable offer.[break][break]

"Hey, c'mon, it's okay," Isaac said, warmth and amusement melding together into his voice. "I trust you. Thanks for the offer." With that, he poured himself a cup of tea as well, gently blowing on it before giving it a sip of his own. It was good! And definitely not poisoned![break][break]

With that, he waited patiently. It was hard not to be excited. Gavin didn't seem the type to break bad news with fanfare and a smile. But if he could poker face through his pants-shitting terror last time, he could poker face through this, too.

[break][break]

[break]

[newclass=.skullhover]width:420px;-webkit-filter: grayscale(100%);filter: grayscale(100%);-webkit-transition:all 1s ease;transition:all 1s ease;-webkit-transition-delay:0.1s;[/newclass]
[newclass=.skullhover:hover]-webkit-filter: grayscale(0%);filter: grayscale(0%)-webkit-transition:all 1s ease;transition:all 1s ease;[/newclass]
[newclass=.skullimg]width:380px;height:200px;background-image:url(https://i.imgur.com/HOVZp0J.png); background-repeat:no-repeat;[/newclass]
[newclass=.skulltitle]font-family:verdana;font-weight:700;font-size:50px;position:relative;text-align:center;color:#D9B800;margin-top:-36px;margin-bottom:0px;text-shadow: -1px 0 black, 0 1px black, 1px 0 black, 0 -1px black;[/newclass]
[newclass=.skulloverlap]letter-spacing:1px;font-family:oswald;font-weight:200;font-size:12px;position:relative;text-align:center;margin-top:-0;margin-bottom:-5px;color:#e8e8e8;text-shadow: -1px 0 black, 0 1px black, 1px 0 black, 0 -1px black;[/newclass]
[newclass=.skullbody]div-align:center;text-align:justify;width:380px;line-height:15px;letter-spacing:.5px;font-size:12px;font-family:roboto;color:#d6d6d6;[/newclass]
[newclass=.skullinfo]width:380px;font-family:oswald;font-size:12px;font-weight:200;color:#767676;text-align:right[/newclass]
[newclass=.skullcredits]width:380px;font-family:roboto;font-size:12px;text-align:center;[/newclass]

[googlefont=Oswald]
[googlefont=Roboto]
close tab

played by

thorn

Gavin Merlino
he/him
october 28th
circhester, galar
demisexual
the harbinger
underboss
awards
7,897 posts
part of
TAG WITH @gavin
Cillian Quinn
POSTED ON Oct 2, 2022 17:48:05 GMT
Cillian Quinn Avatar
Where Isaac is lighthearted and warm, Gavin is deadly serious. Amber eyes pierce into the grunt's own.

"Have you ever been poisoned?" There's a weight behind the words that suggests because I have. "You should be most wary of those who've earned your trust."

He'd thought himself safe, once.

Never again.

After another sip of his tea and a moment to let his words of warning settle, he says, "Congratulations on your promotion."

close tab

played by

Wanderer

The Liberator
he/him/his
April 10
Lavaridge Town
Figuring it Out
Penitent
Renegade
awards
4,329 posts
Isaac Merlo DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @isaacmerlo
Isaac Merlo
POSTED ON Oct 2, 2022 18:08:13 GMT
Isaac Merlo Avatar
[nospaces]

[attr="class","skullbody"]Okay. There was the chill down his spine again. Clearly, Gavin did not see the humor in the situation that Isaac did, and for very good reason. However, there was that same weight behind his words that he had up on Mt. Pyre. That strange, threatening Gavin Merlino concern.[break][break]

"You're not wrong. But we were also alone, on a mountain, with no witnesses, already surrounded by open graves," Isaac said. "There were a thousand and one ways for you to kill me that didn't involve a mess in your office." Isaac's ability to ping-pong between idealistic trust and almost unnervingly cynical worst case scenarios was strange. In a weird way, the two seemed to blend into each other.[break][break]

"But you're right. I'll make sure to keep a closer eye out," he said, an almost grateful smile spreading across his face. He may have fancied himself an expert at reading situations, but that didn't mean he could just rest on his laurels. Isaac may have been more the type to improvise on the fly than weave big, elaborate plans, but that was all the more reason to be prepared for anything. And Isaac wanted to be prepared for everything.[break][break]

Okay. Maybe not that.[break][break]

Isaac blinked rapidly in confusion. The only promotion that he saw coming was to the illustrious title of "not a corpse." Sure, that meant a meeting like this probably wasn't necessary. But maybe it was just a victory lap or a talk about future improvement. Instead, it was a promotion. A promotion! For him! What the heck![break][break]

"Surprise" was another emotion thrown into the twisting nexus of his poker face, never to be let out. "I'm honored," he said, the voice still slightly hushed. He couldn't keep all of the surprise held off, despite his best intentions. "Thank you so much."

[break][break]

[break]

[googlefont=Oswald]
[googlefont=Roboto]
close tab

played by

thorn

Gavin Merlino
he/him
october 28th
circhester, galar
demisexual
the harbinger
underboss
awards
7,897 posts
part of
TAG WITH @gavin
Cillian Quinn
POSTED ON Oct 2, 2022 18:45:25 GMT
Cillian Quinn Avatar
"Perhaps something has changed between then and now. Perhaps I've found something out." He lets that ominous point stand as he sips at his drink, amber eyes never leaving Isaac. "I would not need to handle the mess."

They had cleaners for that, but his choice of words is deliberate. He would not need to clean up, but Gavin often chose to deal with the aftermath himself. It kept him grounded. It reminded him of what Rocket was. What he was.

Breath huffs from his lungs in a not-quite-laugh.

"Don't thank me yet. You'll get a pay raise, but the work gets tougher from here on out." He would not be so lenient with the failure of an associate, after all. "Do you think you're ready?"

close tab

played by

Wanderer

The Liberator
he/him/his
April 10
Lavaridge Town
Figuring it Out
Penitent
Renegade
awards
4,329 posts
Isaac Merlo DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @isaacmerlo
Isaac Merlo
POSTED ON Oct 2, 2022 18:59:04 GMT
Isaac Merlo Avatar
[nospaces]

[attr="class","skullbody"]"Understood."[break][break]

No need for further words. He'd given his tactical analysis. He'd also learned that things weren't always as simple as they seemed. Good points were exchanged. Lessons were learned. And Isaac knew that it was in his best interests to ever, ever cross Gavin. Mt. Pyre was only the beginning of the man's capabilities.[break][break]

Frankly, the pay raise alone was enough to pique Isaac's interests. At the rate he charged headfirst into jobs and missions at, the prospect became extra juicy. But those missions would also become harder, and in more ways than one. Disrupting the actions of competing gangs and calling it a day may not fly anymore at this upcoming level of work.[break][break]

Regardless, things were happening around the Hoenn region. The work was going to get harder whether Isaac wanted it to or not. The Rangers were mobilizing. The gym landscape was shifting. The meteor was approaching day by day. And there were whispers in the cafeteria that Rocket would be meeting soon to discuss it all. Why wait when he could seize the initiative and step up to the plate now?[break][break]

Besides. He made his choice when he first joined Rocket. And that choice was entirely his to make. A confident grin spread across Isaac's face as he looked Gavin in the eye.[break][break]

"I do."

[break][break]

[break]

[googlefont=Oswald]
[googlefont=Roboto]
close tab

played by

thorn

Gavin Merlino
he/him
october 28th
circhester, galar
demisexual
the harbinger
underboss
awards
7,897 posts
part of
TAG WITH @gavin
Cillian Quinn
POSTED ON Oct 2, 2022 19:13:56 GMT
Cillian Quinn Avatar
Gavin nods, accepting the confidence.

A click of his tongue rouses the Klefki at his belt, the Pokemon shaking itself with a gentle jingle before its FAIRY LOCK on the desk drawer fades. A manila folder is withdrawn and slid across the table to Isaac.

"The details of your first assignment."

Their target was a man heading a small but notorious gang in Petalburg. Various details are listed, including a list of known Pokemon. Riolu is crossed out, with LIBERATED clarified below.

No mission partners are listed.

close tab

played by

Wanderer

The Liberator
he/him/his
April 10
Lavaridge Town
Figuring it Out
Penitent
Renegade
awards
4,329 posts
Isaac Merlo DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @isaacmerlo
Isaac Merlo
POSTED ON Oct 2, 2022 20:14:23 GMT
Isaac Merlo Avatar
[nospaces]

[attr="class","skullbody"]Isaac had gone from picking fights with random gangs to cutting the heads off of snakes. Gavin was just too thoughtful. It was like this mission had been made for Isaac! Sure, it was going to be a step up in difficulty. And if Isaac took the wrong tack he'd end up swarmed in a way that made the Hounds of Oldale look like a bunch of harmless puppies.[break][break]

But it wasn't a challenge Isaac minded stepping up to face. According to the dossier, these guys were real scumbags. They were Pokemon traffickers, and not the kind content to smuggle Pokemon across the region. These guys beat the Pokemon they stole until they were broken into killing machines. These were Orre tactics, and not the fun kind that involved contraband goods, rad motorcycles, and flipping off the government with a smile. They were scumbag Orre tactics. The real deal.[break][break]

And one of the names on this dossier was painfully familiar. Riolu. Liberated.[break][break]

A dark curiosity bubbled in the pit of Isaac's stomach. Even by the standards of a man who harvests Lucario eyes, Knuckles had been mistreated. It was why she had been such a hard case. They were rare Pokemon, whose ability to read auras, martial prowess, and near-supernatural foresight made them notoriously hard for poachers to catch. Odds were these incidents were still unrelated, but Isaac needed to make sure.[break][break]

"Knuckles, this guy look familiar?" Isaac asked as he released the Riolu from her Pokeball. She blinked. And then an expression set on her face that Isaac hadn't seen since they first met. It was fear. It was hatred. It was outright loathing. The Riolu roared in fury, and Isaac practically had to hold her back to stop her from incinerating the dossier with an Aura Sphere.[break][break]

"Hey. Hey. Knuckles. Come on. Look at me," Isaac said. He gently set a hand on the Riolu's head, as if trying to ground her before her emotions spiked too high. "We're gonna find this guy. We're gonna put a stop to what he's doing. And then we're gonna make him pay for anything and everything he's done to you, okay? And you're going to be just fine. Because I'm not going to let anything happen to you over there. I swear on my life."[break][break]

The tension in Knuckles' shoulders eased, and she leaned her head against the palm of Isaac's hand. Softly, Isaac stroked her fur, looking towards Gavin with resolve in his eyes. "Consider it done."

[break][break]

[break]

[googlefont=Oswald]
[googlefont=Roboto]
close tab

played by

thorn

Gavin Merlino
he/him
october 28th
circhester, galar
demisexual
the harbinger
underboss
awards
7,897 posts
part of
TAG WITH @gavin
Cillian Quinn
POSTED ON Oct 3, 2022 7:29:03 GMT
Cillian Quinn Avatar
Gavin had suspected it from the moment he'd laid eyes on the file, but it's not until he sees the Riolu's visceral reaction to the target that he is certain. He stays quiet, allowing the moment between Knuckles and Isaac.

He nods when Isaac addresses him.

"You won't be going alone, of course." An associate was a step up from a grunt, but a mission this dangerous should not be undertaken alone. But Gavin understands the need for vengeance. A thirst unending. "I will accompany you, as before, but you will be given the command."

It was unusual, given Gavin's own rank, but he feels it important to test Isaac's ability to make judgement calls even in moments of extreme emotion. Important not for this, but for all that would come after. War.

"Should it become too much, you may rescind that command to me without shame. Are these terms acceptable?"

close tab

played by

Wanderer

The Liberator
he/him/his
April 10
Lavaridge Town
Figuring it Out
Penitent
Renegade
awards
4,329 posts
Isaac Merlo DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @isaacmerlo
Isaac Merlo
POSTED ON Oct 3, 2022 12:57:41 GMT
Isaac Merlo Avatar
[nospaces]

[attr="class","skullbody"]A mission suited to his strengths, pertinent to one of his Pokemon, where he would be holding the reins and a literal underboss would be his backup. By now, the signs that Gavin saw something in Isaac were becoming impossible to ignore. This was a lot of trust being put into a mere associate. But it was also a lot of responsibility being put on his shoulders as well. By both necessity and desire, Isaac was becoming someone who punched above his weight class.[break][break]

Where would that leave him, in the end?[break][break]

"They are," Isaac said, not a moment of hesitation. His determination stood rock solid against what little Pressure Gavin let linger in his room. To the aura-sensitive Knuckles, it felt almost like two great forces of will were colliding. However, rather than break against one another like waves on a shoreline, they met in the middle, intermingle, and moved towards a bright new horizon.[break][break]

"Just tell me when you'd like me to be ready, and I'll be there. I'll spend my time until then doing any necessary prep work," Isaac said. Research. Scouting. Training. This wasn't just your usual gang scuffle. This was walking right into the heart of a well-regimented operation, and leaving while it was still beating in the palm of his hand. To go into this half-cocked would be a disaster. Whether he had five days or five minutes, he needed to use them wisely.[break][break]

"Thank you very much for this oppprtunity. I promise, it will be worth your attention."

[break][break]

[break]

[googlefont=Oswald]
[googlefont=Roboto]
close tab

played by

thorn

Gavin Merlino
he/him
october 28th
circhester, galar
demisexual
the harbinger
underboss
awards
7,897 posts
part of
TAG WITH @gavin
Cillian Quinn
POSTED ON Oct 4, 2022 0:33:55 GMT
Cillian Quinn Avatar
"No," Gavin says, calm but firm. "This is your mission. You will tell me when you're ready, and not a minute before. Take what time you need, associate."

He smirks a little, with the title.

"When preparations are complete, I will fit it into my busy schedule." Unfortunately, that schedule meant he couldn't linger on pleasantries. "Unless you have further questions, you're dismissed."

close tab

played by

SHIV

GONGAGER
he/him
October 13
GONGAGA
gongaga-romantic
gongager
gongago
me?
gongaga
808 height
808 height
WHERE ARE UNOVA REMAKES
awards
39,026 posts
shiv DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @shiv
shiv
POSTED ON Oct 4, 2022 4:40:53 GMT
shiv Avatar
[nospaces]
[attr="class","TRAINER"]
[attr="class","omaccepted"]
[attr="class","omacceptedtop"]THREAD COMPLETE!

[attr="class","omacceptedmid"]

YOU RECEIVE THE REWARDS BELOW:[break]

[attr="class","omacceptedlinks"]
[attr="class","omacceptedlinks1"]TAGS: