thorn

Gavin Merlino
he/him
october 28th
circhester, galar
demisexual
the harbinger
underboss
creatures of habit, carrion flowers, growing from repeated crimes.
awards
7,890 posts
part of
TAG WITH @gavin
Cillian Quinn
trick or sweet [m]
POSTED ON Oct 6, 2022 9:18:30 GMT
Cillian Quinn Avatar
Gavin remembers .

How could he not?

In the files of the office of Underboss Merlino, there exists a list of names. Traitors. Dead men walking. But that's not why he remembers Sawyer. No, it's the bitter bile of Kanto that rises in his throat at the thought of the other.

Most traitors don't get a second chance, but the mercy of another underboss had spared this one. Gavin would have killed him. The owner of the quaint candy shop in Sootopolis, Trick or Sweet?, would not be so lucky.

Perhaps Sawyer remembers the obedient grunt from Kanto, voice soft and eyes averted from anyone who outranked him. That is not the Gavin Merlino that he'd meet at the bistro across the street from their target business. In Sootopolis, the seat of Rocket's power, the infamous terrorist sits his chair like a throne, eyes of amber sharp as steel. Cigarette smoke drifts from parted lips, mingled with shadow miasma.

They will be alone on the small patio, undisturbed: Gavin has made sure of it.

close tab

played by

Kiwi

Ash
He/Him/Them
December 2
Aspertia City, Unova
Pansexual
Picking up the pieces
--
But I, I will, go on howling and hollow
awards
1,109 posts
part of
TAG WITH @ashley
Ashley Shepard
trick or sweet [m]
POSTED ON Oct 6, 2022 9:43:58 GMT
Ashley Shepard Avatar
[attr="class","sawyer"]

tag
notes
Here we fuckin' go.

Ashley doesn't go to Sootopolis a lot. Maybe because he knew Rocket was there, even before Jayden beat the shit out of him or seeing Theo again in the flesh. Or maybe it was just because he didn't want to go to that secluded of a place where Rocket would look first.

Willy Wonka got found out. Turns out the candy man actually can not. Dodged'em for awhile though.

Jokes aside, he doesn't particularly like the idea of working with Merlino. In fact, he resents the guy after seeing a bit of press in Hoenn. Must've repressed it. Course he would if Theo was on the news. Still, Merlino wasn't half-a-shit when he left. Now? All decked out. An underboss. An avatar. Probably, a piece of work.

Approaching the bistro, the new grunt enters in his newly-dyed black hair. His silver eyes trace every bit of Gavin's frame. Talking was not something he wanted at all. But he doesn't have a choice. "Merlino." He doesn't call him by his first name, and he surely doesn't call him boss. He doesn't give that level of respect until it's earned. "Obedient grunt. Now a boss, no, more than that... was dreading seeing you again." He scoffs, rubbing the back of his head. He takes a seat across from Gavin.

Guess they needed to have a chit-chat. Just what the doctor ordered.

[attr="class","wizzcred"]❤ wizz

[newclass=".sawyer"] [/newclass]
[newclass=".sawyer b"]color:#00BFFF; font-weight:lighter; [/newclass]
[newclass=".sawyer i"]color:#DC143C; font-style:italic; [/newclass]
[newclass=".sawyer a"]text-transform:uppercase; [/newclass]
[newclass=".wizzcred"]font: monospace; font-size: 10px; color:#7a7a7a;[/newclass]
[newclass=".wizzcred a"]font: monospace; font-size: 10px; color:#7a7a7a;[/newclass]
close tab

played by

thorn

Gavin Merlino
he/him
october 28th
circhester, galar
demisexual
the harbinger
underboss
awards
7,890 posts
part of
TAG WITH @gavin
Cillian Quinn
trick or sweet [m]
POSTED ON Oct 6, 2022 10:44:31 GMT
Cillian Quinn Avatar
"Sawyer."

Years apart from the organization that had once broken them both, Sawyer is bold in the way he drinks in Gavin's changed demeanour. Gavin doesn't rise to the bait, not even with the reminder of his own past.

"I'll bet you were." His voice is deep, rougher than Sawyer would remember thanks to a decade of cigarettes. His tone is unerringly calm. "I'd have killed you."

He takes a long drag of his cigarette, allowing the implication to settle between them. Theo was merciful. I wouldn't have been. That they'd fought and bled together in the ashes of Kanto mattered little. It wouldn't have been the first time he killed an old associate. It won't be the last.

"Why did you come back?"

close tab

played by

Kiwi

Ash
He/Him/Them
December 2
Aspertia City, Unova
Pansexual
Picking up the pieces
--
awards
1,109 posts
part of
TAG WITH @ashley
Ashley Shepard
trick or sweet [m]
POSTED ON Oct 6, 2022 18:01:04 GMT
Ashley Shepard Avatar
[attr="class","sawyer"]

tag
notes
Even his voice got deeper. But it's the same shit. Jayden nearly killed him, so of course Gavin would have. Ashley closes his eyes for a moment, processing that. A five second pause, and response. "A howdy ho to you too, Merlino. Glad I missed the welcome hearse."

Years ago, Ashley was a tortured soul in Rocket. A kid who wanted to make a name for himself from the streets, not realizing how hard the fall from grace Rocket was. Ashley was never a particularly good Grunt. Couldn't kill without attachment, and when he did it messed him up good.

Gavin might notice Ashley's sheepish smile, not even remotely threatened by Gavin's statement, to the point where he's just used to being threatened. To his question, however, his smile fades.

"After seeing Theo again, years of therapy got undone in an instant. I guess... I came to an ultimatum. My dreams weren't coming true, Rocket followed me to Hoenn, and I realized I couldn't run anymore. So either I beat Theo and turned myself in with him. Or I lose, and come back." It was a stupid move, he wasn't thinking when he made it, but he realizes now that it had to happen eventually. "Rocket is poison. I-"

He turns his silver eyes to Gavin. He says it straight. "I want to change it. There's your answer. Happy?"

[newclass=".wizzcred"]font: monospace; font-size: 10px; color:#7a7a7a;[/newclass]
[newclass=".wizzcred a"]font: monospace; font-size: 10px; color:#7a7a7a;[/newclass]
close tab

played by

thorn

Gavin Merlino
he/him
october 28th
circhester, galar
demisexual
the harbinger
underboss
awards
7,890 posts
part of
TAG WITH @gavin
Cillian Quinn
trick or sweet [m]
POSTED ON Oct 6, 2022 18:30:14 GMT
Cillian Quinn Avatar
Theo.

Though slight, the mention of his former mentor's name elicits reaction — his eyes narrow in anger, brief, before stoicism settles. He knows how it feels to have your life unraveled by the return of a man you'd never thought to see again. Bile rises in his throat and he swallows it down.

Rocket is poison.

Yet it's a poison Gavin imbibes willingly, and it would seem Ashley, too, has not forgotten the taste.

"Why would that make me happy?"

He remembers Kanto. He can't forget.

He shakes his head.

"Rocket has changed." In leadership and method both. "But don't kid yourself, Sawyer; it'll never be a utopia. I've been underboss for long enough to figure that out."

There's a pack of cigarettes on the table next to his lighter.

"You smoke?"

close tab

played by

Kiwi

Ash
He/Him/Them
December 2
Aspertia City, Unova
Pansexual
Picking up the pieces
--
awards
1,109 posts
part of
TAG WITH @ashley
Ashley Shepard
trick or sweet [m]
POSTED ON Oct 6, 2022 19:25:14 GMT
Ashley Shepard Avatar
[attr="class","sawyer"]

tag
notes
There's a slight chuckle from Ash's parted lips, a small smile. Merlino wasn't happy to see an old friend? Like every other Rocket he knew before, this was the typical response. But Gavin's claim of Rocket having changed has Ash's smile fade fast.

"That's the problem, Merlino. I know that." Ash's silver gaze is fastened towards Trick or Sweet. But he decides to hold off for now, moving to grab one of the cigarettes, and the lighter. He wordlessly uses the nicotine rush to get over that anger in him. Bullshit philosophy can come later.

"Terrible habit. Been trying to quit for years."

He gestures towards the candy shop, taking a drag, he looks across the table with a quizzical expression. "What's the deets?" Time to get to business. Unlike the last time he was in Rocket, he's a lot more compliant. Who knows. Maybe he would even be surprised Ash was a lot more work-oriented, being that he wasn't exactly the model of a great Rocket grunt in the Kanto era.

close tab

played by

thorn

Gavin Merlino
he/him
october 28th
circhester, galar
demisexual
the harbinger
underboss
awards
7,890 posts
part of
TAG WITH @gavin
Cillian Quinn
trick or sweet [m]
POSTED ON Oct 7, 2022 2:24:14 GMT
Cillian Quinn Avatar
Why bother? Some might ask, but not Gavin. He knows all too well the struggle of trying to change something from within. There would always be resistance. Even if by some miracle he were to take the place of , there was still Kanto to worry about.

There's always a bigger fish.

He huffs. "So have I."

He's managed three times, and never for more than a couple months. Something always came up. Last time, it'd been Theo's return to the region and a messy parting with Emma to kickstart the old habit.

The mission. Sawyer wasn't going to like this.

"He's a traitor." A long pause to let that sink in. "Sold info to the League for amnesty. Managed to stay under the radar for years, but he didn't move out of Sootopolis when we moved in." The last mistake he'd ever make. Gavin's amber eyes pierce into Ashley's. "You know what we're here to do."

close tab

played by

Kiwi

Ash
He/Him/Them
December 2
Aspertia City, Unova
Pansexual
Picking up the pieces
--
awards
1,109 posts
part of
TAG WITH @ashley
Ashley Shepard
trick or sweet [m]
POSTED ON Oct 7, 2022 3:28:12 GMT
Ashley Shepard Avatar
[attr="class","sawyer"]

tag
notes
Huh. Merlino really... that was kinda weird. They had a lot in common. That is not how Ash perceived today to go. In all honesty, the trend would have either been Ash biting angrily and lashing out, or getting bitten by a rabid Houndoom of a person. This was neither. A mutual understanding for just a moment.

Then it comes crashing down the moment the mission comes up, and well. He didn't like it. "Ironic." Ash years ago would have had Theo as a mentor, failed the mission, and it would cost him, but Ash takes another drag, getting up from his chair.

"Let's get this over with."

Defeat didn't feel good, but Ash tries not to care. Right now, he needed to climb the ranks. Merlino was a good teacher in that regard. Even if Ash hated himself and Rocket, he needed his name to be bigger and to carry weight. He'll climb.

Even over corpses. "Gonna make me do the dirty work? I am a former traitor after all." His silver eyes display a quiet, serious stoicism he never had before.

close tab

played by

thorn

Gavin Merlino
he/him
october 28th
circhester, galar
demisexual
the harbinger
underboss
awards
7,890 posts
part of
TAG WITH @gavin
Cillian Quinn
trick or sweet [m]
POSTED ON Oct 7, 2022 5:00:47 GMT
Cillian Quinn Avatar
He's surprised at how readily Sawyer agrees to the mission. He'd expected some pushback. Perhaps hoped for it, as a sign that this one wasn't so far gone as himself. But what he gets is compliance, and he accepts the heavy weight of it.

Whatever it takes to survive.

He hadn't clawed his way through the ranks in Hoenn by keeping his hands clean.

"Could you live with it?"

It's not mocking. It's barely even a challenge. Gavin seems deadly serious as he meets those silver eyes with his gold.

close tab

played by

Kiwi

Ash
He/Him/Them
December 2
Aspertia City, Unova
Pansexual
Picking up the pieces
--
awards
1,109 posts
part of
TAG WITH @ashley
Ashley Shepard
trick or sweet [m]
POSTED ON Oct 7, 2022 8:02:50 GMT
Ashley Shepard Avatar
[attr="class","sawyer"]

tag
notes
A simple question. Five words. An answer. An answer that doesn't come easy, but silver and gold stand opposed to one another. Doubt cannot be seen within his quiet stoicism. Instead, he throws his cigarette to the ground, and steps on the bud.

"When you spill blood once, it's easier the second time. Kept telling myself that. I'm past the nightmares now. All that's left is the guilt. I see them in the mirror every time I look at myself, staring behind me. I've tried once or twice. Hasn't killed me yet, Merlino. Doesn't make me strong, just means I'm not dead yet by my own hand."

That was the first time he ever admitted that.

He releases his dog, a shiny Furfrou, with a white coat and black fur on her head and chest. The pampered star-styled poodle follows behind Ashley as he walks towards the candy shop. The Furfrou turns a scarlet eye towards Gavin, a brow raised. Her pampered and styled mane quietly shifts as they near the establishment.

"Ain't no rest for the wicked. We can talk philosophy over a drink."

close tab

played by

thorn

Gavin Merlino
he/him
october 28th
circhester, galar
demisexual
the harbinger
underboss
awards
7,890 posts
part of
TAG WITH @gavin
Cillian Quinn
trick or sweet [m]
POSTED ON Oct 7, 2022 8:32:51 GMT
Cillian Quinn Avatar
It gets easier. He'd told himself the same. In the end, he'd been right. He feels no empathy toward the man behind the counter of Trick or Sweet; he'd made his choice by betraying Rocket. Why should Gavin be hung up on the consequences of that action?

Sawyer, though...

All that's left is the guilt.

Gavin feels it, too, but only for some. Not for the traitors, but for innocent lives taken from those who'd done Rocket no wrong but for their inconvenient existence.

He would feel no guilt for this.

"Are you armed?"

They cross the street, approaching the cheerful storefront.

close tab

played by

Kiwi

Ash
He/Him/Them
December 2
Aspertia City, Unova
Pansexual
Picking up the pieces
--
awards
1,109 posts
part of
TAG WITH @ashley
Ashley Shepard
trick or sweet [m]
POSTED ON Oct 7, 2022 9:07:59 GMT
Ashley Shepard Avatar
[attr="class","sawyer"]

tag
notes
Guilt stares back in the mirror. It twists and turns, this malignant thing, it is something, it is always at the corner of the eye. Right out of vision on a dark night, walking to get a snack and realizing it isn't visible to the eye, but it's there. It's the invisible, karmic cause-and-effect of the world. Guilt follows. It always had. It always followed closely behind.

Jubilee would be okay. She's in a better place now. The others were phantoms.

The switchblade was in his pocket, and he nods. "After Jayden's little stunt, I always carry." Cheerful as the storefront was, the bell chimes. The traitor's Oompa Loompa song plays, and the doopity do did the knife come for him too.

As Juliette follows behind, Ash pulls the blade into his jacket sleeve. He awaits for Gavin to enter first. Ash is doing his best to keep his stoicism at the forefront and never let it show that it bothers him. Juliette keeps quiet, red eyes still on the blonde, as the two enter the candy shop.

close tab

played by

thorn

Gavin Merlino
he/him
october 28th
circhester, galar
demisexual
the harbinger
underboss
awards
7,890 posts
part of
TAG WITH @gavin
Cillian Quinn
trick or sweet [m]
POSTED ON Oct 7, 2022 11:14:44 GMT
Cillian Quinn Avatar
Before reaching for the door, Gavin turns to his stoic companion. All that's left is the guilt.

"I'll handle it."

That had told him everything he needed to know. The guilt, the betrayal, the desire for change. This would haunt Ashley. Perhaps less, if Gavin pulled the trigger.

"Block the exits once we're inside."

The bell jingles cheerfully overhead, and the man behind the counter looks up with a smile that fades the moment he catches sight of an undisguised Gavin Merlino violating the threshold of his sanctuary.

Miasma floods the room, a swirling fog with Gavin at its epicenter.

The counter EXPLODES.

Chaos is fleeting but effective — staggered by the blast, ringing in his ears, Gavin catches himself against a display of Halloween-themed chocolates. Orange-flavoured pumpkins and white-chocolate ghosts scatter as the display rocks beneath the impact.

"Exits!" he snarls, regaining his footing and whipping a pokeball toward the fleeing target. A Dhelmise appears to block the man's path, its anchor rusted and its seaweed the colour of blood. Chains of SHADOW HOLD the target down, and Gavin turns to Ashley. His golden eyes are wide but sharp. It's as if they're in Kanto again. "You good?"

close tab

played by

Kiwi

Ash
He/Him/Them
December 2
Aspertia City, Unova
Pansexual
Picking up the pieces
--
awards
1,109 posts
part of
TAG WITH @ashley
Ashley Shepard
trick or sweet [m]
POSTED ON Oct 8, 2022 22:35:11 GMT
Ashley Shepard Avatar
[attr="class","sawyer"]

tag
notes
Merlino says he'll handle it. Ashley wasn't so sure. "No such thing as a milk run, Merlino." What that meant? Especially in their world, things rarely went according to plan. Ash knew better. His order to block the exits had Ash simply nod. In fact, he let one more Pokemon, unseen to Merlino or the store clerk, out inside his hoodie. Two white ears almost poking out from Sunny.

The bell jingles. The duo enter, and Ash immediately points Juliette towards the back. No backdoor escape. On the other hand, Ash leans against the entrance, his hoodie a little inflated. Silver eyes watch happiness die in the clerk. Anyone would be the same in his shoes. Ashley has to tell himself it's gonna be okay. When the swirling fog, he takes a moment to look towards him and his mind connects it right away.

"GAVIN, DOWN!"

BOOM. Gavin hits against a display of candy, and Ash hits a candy bar display. And just like Kit-Kats, he breaks them clean in half and lands into the chocolate blast zone on his side, protecting Sunny.

"You okay?" he whispers to Sunny, and the little Scorbunny mews out happily enough. Despite the bunny being okay, Juliette was not. Perhaps it was just terrible timing, but the moment the counter blew, she had little to cushion the boom. So she lays hurt, quite moans of pain.

"I'm good."

'But he won't be in a minute'

close tab

played by

thorn

Gavin Merlino
he/him
october 28th
circhester, galar
demisexual
the harbinger
underboss
awards
7,890 posts
part of
TAG WITH @gavin
Cillian Quinn
trick or sweet [m]
POSTED ON Oct 9, 2022 8:02:24 GMT
Cillian Quinn Avatar
Though scattered by the force of the explosion, Gavin's shadow miasma returns to swirl around him. After asserting that Sawyer was unhurt, the underboss stalks around the scattered remnants of the counter and draws his gun.

The target's eyes are wide, pleading, but Dhelmise's SHADOW HOLD chokes off any pleas for mercy.

Mercy is given only in the swiftness that Gavin aims and fires, the crack of gunfire muffled by the ringing in his ears. He clicks his tongue, and Dhelmise releases its hold on the victim. The body slumps lifeless to the floor.

"We already know what was leaked." Gavin holsters the gun. "Your Furfrou. You got medical?"

He doesn't wait for an answer, pulling out a luxury ball and tossing it across the destroyed space. A Zarude crouches low, its hollering silenced by a click of its master's tongue. JUNGLE HEALING sees grass and vines pierce up through the cracks in the floor.

Spitting blood from where he'd bitten his tongue, Gavin scowls and kicks at a scratched red shell.

"Electrode."